McClaren – Mitrovic Was A Much Sought After Striker in Europe

Newcastle’s head coach has been interviewed in Portland, Oregon by Dan King, the Newcastle Digital Editor, and Steve talks about the 20 year-old Serbian striker,  and how delighted he is to sign a player who had some top clubs after him this summer.

steve mcclaren

Steve McClaren – delighted to get Mitrovic

This is the full interview transcribed from the nufcTV video:

“I’m delighted – it has been a long process and a lot of opposition for his signature, and we are delighted he has made the step to us. Again, a statement of intent that the club wants to go forward.”

“If he scores 27 goals for us we’ll be delighted – we won’t need to do anything else – he brings goals, he brings potential, he’s got talent – I think that it is an ideal signing profile for the football club, and we want to develop him.

“We want to bring him in and give him the experience and however long it takes to adapt to the Premier League.”

“He’s a much sought after striker in Europe and for Newcastle to get him is fantastic.”  “He’s aggressive, so players like that tend to adapt – he has to adapt, he’s adapted everywhere he’s gone – he was very young when he made his debut and moved to Anderlecht.”

”So he’s made one move already and adapted to a different league – he’s got experience at that at a young age,  and he moves here so he has to do it all again and adapt to the Premier,  and adapt to players here and to our training – he’s a good acquisition for the squad.”

“Yeah a character? I prefer goals and performances than character,  but if character goes together with that then that’s fine.” “He is a young player and very confident, already an International player, so we can’t wait to start working with him – help him to improve – and help our team to win.”

“As I said before, we have been working very hard behind the scenes, and they have to be the right ones – but I believe what we have brought in we have the right ones so far.”

Certainly the news finally that we have captured this young striker is going over very well with the fans.

We wonder when we can get Chancel Mbemba through the door?

• jayphoto

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:21 PM

33/1 Toon top 6 looks decent!
    Top 4 aside, Liverpool under Rodgers are probably headed to meltdown. Sterling a big loss to them, no Gerrard either which would have been huge in the dressing room!
    Spurs I’m unsure of. Reckon they’ll struggle, theyre not spending much because of their ground. Maybe defenders will have worked out Harry Kane?

Southampton have lost 2 big big players from last year! Alderweireld and schneiderlin were 2 of their best players. Forsters out for some time too! Defenders seem to have clocked onto Pelle halfway through the season too. Reckon that Sadio Mane might rip the league to shreds though and they’ve got some great young prospects and rodriguez coming back.
    Reckon Swansea and Stoke can push on with a few signings! Hate to say it but Palace if they keep their squad together with Zaha, Bolasie have a shot. Cabaye and Bamford strengthen them a fair bit!
    We need Mbemba and maybe 2 more but if we continue to sign the calibre of player we have so far we should be looking top 6!

• richyg01

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:21 PM

NEXT!!!

• StevoNorthShields

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:22 PM

Defence defence! Get some big nasty fellas in to play at the back, keep papis and get another striker in as well, and we are cooking on gas! Come on!!

• richyg01

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:24 PM

jayphoto. Point taken mate, but what about all of the other teams between us (last season) and the top 6!?

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:25 PM

JT

Ah right. In which case sorry. I thought it was at me.

Yeah i think these two signings are nowhere near enough. If Fatty does not keep spending, then its the same old sh1te, different season. Jury still out on whether he meant what he said.

• Slank

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:27 PM

sholasupporter @ 58

‘… next mbemba then Matip…’

Not if they both go to the African Cup of Nations.

The next centre back after Chancer should not be African.

• Jamseyd24

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:27 PM

Top 8 would do me and a few good 3 or 4 nil wins, something we havent seen much on in a long time. Then push on from there.

Who are these big nasty defenders then. Im not up to speed on other leagues so please give me a few ideas.

• John Tudor

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:28 PM

and 33-1 we have always been a 33-1 team

• magscar

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:29 PM

Repost

On the fans protests etc I posted a while back that I believe they were a factor – but only that and not the deciding one.

On the future whilst I accepted what Ashley said what is impossible to predict is just how and over what timescale he is likely to go about it. “Pound for pound” value is surely something that we subscribe to in our own personal finances yet many seem to be more profligate with someonelse’s money where they can feel benefit.

Having said that if you factor in the influence of a football related opinion as an equal contribution to deliberations then the simplicity of pound for pound can change from what we have seen all too often.

A mundane example of my own pound for pound philosophy is represented by a weekend at the Sage with beer prices etc higher than elsewhere (as is the nature at such venues). So I could either not have a drink, go elsewhere and come back or not have a drink. Decided that there were other benefits then simply just the comparative price of a pint compared to down the road as there was free music inside and out to enjoy with it so this was factored into my decision and I happily paid the premium for drink and food and didn’t miss any music. Mature pound for pound thinking at play which I hope will be similarly displayed on a much larger scale in the months and seasons to come. Btw did also pay for evening concerts on all 3 nights so not just there for freebies excellent though they were.

• John Tudor

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:30 PM

if he was serious more overpriced players would be coming in defend with what we have we are still in mid to lower half

• Jamseyd24

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:37 PM

Listening to mitrovic interview, he scored 14 last yr with his head. Does he know that we rarely score from crosses or corners. We need a decent winger.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:38 PM

If we sign 2 CBs, a versatile “berahino” type forward, and a fullback cover (ideally adept at both sides) THEN, and only then, might i start to believe. Until then, i am sticking with cautious optimism 🙂

• jayphoto

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:38 PM

@richy – ha yeah theres a few. I think really though the Carver affect contributed a lot! West Ham with Europa may struggle, personally feel Bilic is a bit overrated as a manager. West Brom have a fairly aged squad that’s 1 year older, don’t think they even aspire to be higher than 11th. Leicester under Ranieri looks like a car crash waiting to happen. Reckon Pearson got those players motivated to play far above their actual ability!
    Everton need to sort their defence. Martinez can’t organise a defence for toffee and losing stones would be a blow. Jagielka is older and slower and apparently they are going to blood youngsters which means they’ll probably repeat last years mid table effort.

• BandB

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:40 PM

Blackley,

I am prepared to take it on the chin IF a bunch of posters can finally have their day after eight years. It will be my day too, as I will have got what I wanted.
    Not the slightest bit of skin off my nose, and I certainly won’t be heading off to hide under a stone or changing my name.

• ToonFromLeeds

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:43 PM

Wow just wow, 2nd signing on the dotted line and more to come. get in there

• Terry

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:47 PM

What peas off players like mit is if he scoring and doing his job but we are leaking goals then he won’t be here long

• coatesy17

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:50 PM

Anybody got any links for tonights game?

• richyg01

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:51 PM

Need 2 CB’s now.

HOWAY THE LADS!

• Blackley and Brownlie

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:55 PM

I can’t see that anything has changed. Ashley still goes about things his way. He’s unmoved by boycotts and protests. He fails one way and so comes up with another plan. He gets annoyed when he loses money or comes close to it through relegation, and he sacks people who don’t deliver. So far, he’s had a little spending spree. Nothing he hasn’t done before. It happens when he has no real choice.

It’s surprising therefore that anyone would seek to claim credit for their part in shaping our destiny. As I understand it, those people hate Ashley and won’t come back until he’s gone. The negativity surely remains alive and kicking and the fight for them continues until he walks? That’s fair to say, isn’t it? Ashley will know that and he won’t be listening to them to try to win them ovet.

If what the permanent stay aways say is true, as a ST holder I ought to thank them for helping to bring us a couple of decent signings. I’m sure my fellow ST jolders and I will think about the sacrifices they have made and will continue to make on our behalf as we enjoy what next season has to offer.

• Our Toon

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:58 PM

The best news over this window has not been any signings or backroom staff for me. It’s been the return of TFL who I had feared the worst for after his absence following major ops. Welcome back buddy hope you have a speedy recovery!!

• Derek

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:58 PM

YCMIU,

Cautious optimism, well put. Still plenty of time to buy and still plenty of time to sell.

A couple of potentially strong bolts in the cart is not yet enough to hold it together, but they also might break under increased pressure!

Time will tell, and I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

• martoon

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:58 PM

I have to say I think top 6 is a little optimistic – but certainly would be disappointed if were outside the top ten and even top 8 is a possibility if we get a decent defender or two!

• hibbit

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:58 PM

what we need now is this back 4 sorted out ……. no good scoring 2 and letting 4 in …………2CBs and cover for the FBs

• BandB

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:01 PM

TFL

Welcome back. What was it they induced?
    You just went quiet. I thought the nurses most have confiscated your phone.

• ToonFromLeeds

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:01 PM

Our Toon
    Thank you very much, from a little light reading I have been doing some don’t believe me but I don’t have a large cut in my chest and have to be on warfarin for the rest of my life for a joke!

• Our Toon

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:02 PM

Blackley

I won’t be returning anytime soon mate but I’m happy at how this window is starting to look. It can’t stop though as this squad needs a real overhaul especially the defence. It’ll take more than 1 good window for me to return but I sincerely hope you enjoy the team this season from SJP

• Tsunki

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:03 PM

Munster, Magscar, fair points I suppose and maybe I have swung a bit too enthusiastically at times at the perceived dismissal of fan unrest. In truth, the convergence of all the most unpleasant things that could happen in Ashleys world has precipitated the current improvements in coaching and player recruitment. I suppose it would be prudent to hold our breath and not sneeze or cough while things are so finely balanced. 🙂 I’m just wary that, as history has shown, Ashley will have another one of his brainwaves that throws a spanner in the works. I hope he has finally learned what style of business he is running here.

• ToonFromLeeds

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:03 PM

BandB

I may have used wrong wording but after replacing the valve as the reapairs hadn’t worked, they induced me in to a coma for 3 and a half days

• magscar

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:03 PM

On the question of competing with other clubs around 7-10 say (and even 5 and 6) it is clear that the number of players brought in and the total spend are no guarantees for an improved finish over previous season.

On one hand there are Spurs and Liverpool who spent fortunes in recent seasons (and upgraded managers) but couldn’t displace top 4. Hull spent an also comparative fortune and still went down.
    As I mentioned earlier there are then others like Southampton who bucked the trend – losing their “best ” players and manager yet buying wisely and finished in a good position.

This is of course because none of this is happening in a vacuum, other clubs also have money and are desperate to stay in PL so also spend sometimes unwisely and pay over the odds in desperation.

Key is what value do you get ( pound for pound) from your spending, are you upgrading and balancing a squad and can your manager and coaches come up with a system that optimises what you have already, can integrate new players and motivate the whole squad.

Whilst I didn’t regard Pardew as the total amateur as many did, I think most can agree McClaren and all are an undoubted upgrade on him, Carver and Stone (even if there are other better ones out there). I said months ago that I didn’t believe Ashley had the confidence in Pardew to allow him a free rein on how to spend funds or even have a major say in those signed. McClaren is however seemingly making his mark in more ways than one.

Nevertheless there was a time when teams could challenge for the top 4 from a poor starting position. Our first season up in PL under KK we finished 3rd!! That won’t ever happen in the SKY and Fair Play years. Realistically therefore clubs can only look to within a few places of where they finished previous season. The 5th place finish was more about Chelsea and Liverpool underachieving that year as anything else.

8th would do me next but if we had a perfect storm but the opposite to last seasons we could just surprise ourselves. Oddly I don’t think that finishing in the Europa places would now be met with a similar groan at the club as the 5th place was!

• jayphoto

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:04 PM

Don’t think Ashley gives a damn about fans, boycotting or not.
    He cares about money. And Sports Direct.
    1 of a few things are possible to explain this summer.
    1) – Ashley has realised the potential profits are far greater in signing 15m players and selling the, for 40m than signing 5m players and selling them for 10m.

2) Hes decided that the poor publicity around Newcastle last year wasn’t good for sports direct. A successful Newcastle united would be a better brand association for his tack shop.

3) The potential TV riches of the next deal are so great, the exposure for SD so huge around the world that it warrants spending 40-50m on players. We came too close to losing all of that last year.

One thing I think is certain, the better the club do, the more SD association we’ll have. Shocked its not been on the shirts yet…. reckon it might be if Wonga pull the plug

• lesh

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:04 PM

TfL

C’mon you haven’t got time to waste on here – you’ve got players to bring in and the Toon Army’s waiting patiently.

So, tell Charnley to get his finger out and get signing.

😉

You take care bonny lad, take it easy eh.

• BandB

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:05 PM

TFL

Bloomin’s heck!. You are made of stern stuff.

• Our Toon

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:06 PM

TFL

Ahaha, I have to say mate you got the blog to unite with the concern that was being shown for you. Now let’s sort this defence out

• ToonFromLeeds

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:07 PM

BandB

I am only allowed my phone for very short spells

• SuperShearer

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:07 PM

How long is Mitrovic’s contract? Five years? If so it’s a hell of a signing for the club to get this guy at just 20. I’m not convinced Austin is the way forward unless McClaren is going to play two up top. If so then they’ll be a headache together for any defence in the league. But suspect he’s going with a 4-2-3-1 and therefore need peeps feeding off the big lad.

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:07 PM

Now for a defender and a winger woth a great cross in him!! I am chuffed that Mitro has signed! Get in!!!

• Munster Mag

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:08 PM

Did Palace get Bamford ??

• scottoon

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:08 PM

As happy as I am to know that TFL is recovering (get well soon lad!) I am just as heartened to know that there is indeed a welcome level of compassion for each other on the blog. I suspect that even some of the usual blog targets would receive similar compassion if they had to endure what TFL has gone through. There is hope for us yet!

• ToonFromLeeds

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:08 PM

Our Toon

Yes, well Mbemba is one but then we need a non African for the other maybe Dragovic or someone of that ilk

• ToonFromLeeds