The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren – Mitrovic Was A Much Sought After Striker in Europe

1:20 pm, Tuesday, July 21st, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 104 Comments

Newcastle’s head coach has been interviewed in Portland, Oregon by Dan King, the Newcastle Digital Editor, and Steve talks about the 20 year-old Serbian striker,  and how delighted he is to sign a player who had some top clubs after him this summer.

steve mcclaren

Steve McClaren – delighted to get Mitrovic

This is the full interview transcribed from the nufcTV video:

“I’m delighted – it has been a long process and a lot of opposition for his signature, and we are delighted he has made the step to us. Again, a statement of intent that the club wants to go forward.”

“If he scores 27 goals for us we’ll be delighted – we won’t need to do anything else – he brings goals, he brings potential, he’s got talent – I think that it is an ideal signing profile for the football club, and we want to develop him.

“We want to bring him in and give him the experience and however long it takes to adapt to the Premier League.”

“He’s a much sought after striker in Europe and for Newcastle to get him is fantastic.”  “He’s aggressive, so players like that tend to adapt – he has to adapt, he’s adapted everywhere he’s gone – he was very young when he made his debut and moved to Anderlecht.”

”So he’s made one move already and adapted to a different league – he’s got experience at that at a young age,  and he moves here so he has to do it all again and adapt to the Premier,  and adapt to players here and to our training – he’s a good acquisition for the squad.”

“Yeah a character? I prefer goals and performances than character,  but if character goes together with that then that’s fine.” “He is a young player and very confident, already an International player, so we can’t wait to start working with him – help him to improve – and help our team to win.”

“As I said before, we have been working very hard behind the scenes, and they have to be the right ones – but I believe what we have brought in we have the right ones so far.”

Certainly the news finally that we have captured this young striker is going over very well with the fans.

We wonder when we can get Chancel Mbemba through the door?

Tags: Aleksandar Mitrovic · Coaching · Newcastle News · Video

104 responses so far ↓

• 1 jayphoto // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:21 PM

33/1 Toon top 6 looks decent!
    Top 4 aside, Liverpool under Rodgers are probably headed to meltdown. Sterling a big loss to them, no Gerrard either which would have been huge in the dressing room!
    Spurs I’m unsure of. Reckon they’ll struggle, theyre not spending much because of their ground. Maybe defenders will have worked out Harry Kane?

Southampton have lost 2 big big players from last year! Alderweireld and schneiderlin were 2 of their best players. Forsters out for some time too! Defenders seem to have clocked onto Pelle halfway through the season too. Reckon that Sadio Mane might rip the league to shreds though and they’ve got some great young prospects and rodriguez coming back.
    Reckon Swansea and Stoke can push on with a few signings! Hate to say it but Palace if they keep their squad together with Zaha, Bolasie have a shot. Cabaye and Bamford strengthen them a fair bit!
    We need Mbemba and maybe 2 more but if we continue to sign the calibre of player we have so far we should be looking top 6!

• 2 richyg01 // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:21 PM

• 3 StevoNorthShields // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:22 PM

Defence defence! Get some big nasty fellas in to play at the back, keep papis and get another striker in as well, and we are cooking on gas! Come on!!

• 4 richyg01 // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:24 PM

jayphoto. Point taken mate, but what about all of the other teams between us (last season) and the top 6!?

• 5 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:25 PM

Ah right. In which case sorry. I thought it was at me.

Yeah i think these two signings are nowhere near enough. If Fatty does not keep spending, then its the same old sh1te, different season. Jury still out on whether he meant what he said.

• 6 Slank // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:27 PM

sholasupporter @ 58

‘… next mbemba then Matip…’

Not if they both go to the African Cup of Nations.

The next centre back after Chancer should not be African.

• 7 Jamseyd24 // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:27 PM

Top 8 would do me and a few good 3 or 4 nil wins, something we havent seen much on in a long time. Then push on from there.

Who are these big nasty defenders then. Im not up to speed on other leagues so please give me a few ideas.

• 8 John Tudor // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:28 PM

and 33-1 we have always been a 33-1 team

• 9 magscar // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:29 PM

On the fans protests etc I posted a while back that I believe they were a factor – but only that and not the deciding one.

On the future whilst I accepted what Ashley said what is impossible to predict is just how and over what timescale he is likely to go about it. “Pound for pound” value is surely something that we subscribe to in our own personal finances yet many seem to be more profligate with someonelse’s money where they can feel benefit.

Having said that if you factor in the influence of a football related opinion as an equal contribution to deliberations then the simplicity of pound for pound can change from what we have seen all too often.

A mundane example of my own pound for pound philosophy is represented by a weekend at the Sage with beer prices etc higher than elsewhere (as is the nature at such venues). So I could either not have a drink, go elsewhere and come back or not have a drink. Decided that there were other benefits then simply just the comparative price of a pint compared to down the road as there was free music inside and out to enjoy with it so this was factored into my decision and I happily paid the premium for drink and food and didn’t miss any music. Mature pound for pound thinking at play which I hope will be similarly displayed on a much larger scale in the months and seasons to come. Btw did also pay for evening concerts on all 3 nights so not just there for freebies excellent though they were.

• 10 John Tudor // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:30 PM

if he was serious more overpriced players would be coming in defend with what we have we are still in mid to lower half

• 11 Jamseyd24 // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:37 PM

Listening to mitrovic interview, he scored 14 last yr with his head. Does he know that we rarely score from crosses or corners. We need a decent winger.

• 12 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:38 PM

If we sign 2 CBs, a versatile “berahino” type forward, and a fullback cover (ideally adept at both sides) THEN, and only then, might i start to believe. Until then, i am sticking with cautious optimism 🙂

• 13 jayphoto // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:38 PM

@richy – ha yeah theres a few. I think really though the Carver affect contributed a lot! West Ham with Europa may struggle, personally feel Bilic is a bit overrated as a manager. West Brom have a fairly aged squad that’s 1 year older, don’t think they even aspire to be higher than 11th. Leicester under Ranieri looks like a car crash waiting to happen. Reckon Pearson got those players motivated to play far above their actual ability!
    Everton need to sort their defence. Martinez can’t organise a defence for toffee and losing stones would be a blow. Jagielka is older and slower and apparently they are going to blood youngsters which means they’ll probably repeat last years mid table effort.

• 14 BandB // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:40 PM

I am prepared to take it on the chin IF a bunch of posters can finally have their day after eight years. It will be my day too, as I will have got what I wanted.
    Not the slightest bit of skin off my nose, and I certainly won’t be heading off to hide under a stone or changing my name.

• 15 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:43 PM

Wow just wow, 2nd signing on the dotted line and more to come. get in there

• 16 Terry // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:47 PM

What peas off players like mit is if he scoring and doing his job but we are leaking goals then he won’t be here long

• 17 coatesy17 // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:50 PM

Anybody got any links for tonights game?

• 18 richyg01 // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:51 PM

Need 2 CB’s now.

• 19 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:55 PM

I can’t see that anything has changed. Ashley still goes about things his way. He’s unmoved by boycotts and protests. He fails one way and so comes up with another plan. He gets annoyed when he loses money or comes close to it through relegation, and he sacks people who don’t deliver. So far, he’s had a little spending spree. Nothing he hasn’t done before. It happens when he has no real choice.

It’s surprising therefore that anyone would seek to claim credit for their part in shaping our destiny. As I understand it, those people hate Ashley and won’t come back until he’s gone. The negativity surely remains alive and kicking and the fight for them continues until he walks? That’s fair to say, isn’t it? Ashley will know that and he won’t be listening to them to try to win them ovet.

If what the permanent stay aways say is true, as a ST holder I ought to thank them for helping to bring us a couple of decent signings. I’m sure my fellow ST jolders and I will think about the sacrifices they have made and will continue to make on our behalf as we enjoy what next season has to offer.

• 20 Our Toon // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:58 PM

The best news over this window has not been any signings or backroom staff for me. It’s been the return of TFL who I had feared the worst for after his absence following major ops. Welcome back buddy hope you have a speedy recovery!!

• 21 Derek // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:58 PM

Cautious optimism, well put. Still plenty of time to buy and still plenty of time to sell.

A couple of potentially strong bolts in the cart is not yet enough to hold it together, but they also might break under increased pressure!

Time will tell, and I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

• 22 martoon // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:58 PM

I have to say I think top 6 is a little optimistic – but certainly would be disappointed if were outside the top ten and even top 8 is a possibility if we get a decent defender or two!

• 23 hibbit // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:58 PM

what we need now is this back 4 sorted out ……. no good scoring 2 and letting 4 in …………2CBs and cover for the FBs

• 24 BandB // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:01 PM

Welcome back. What was it they induced?
    You just went quiet. I thought the nurses most have confiscated your phone.

• 25 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:01 PM

Our Toon
    Thank you very much, from a little light reading I have been doing some don’t believe me but I don’t have a large cut in my chest and have to be on warfarin for the rest of my life for a joke!

• 26 Our Toon // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:02 PM

I won’t be returning anytime soon mate but I’m happy at how this window is starting to look. It can’t stop though as this squad needs a real overhaul especially the defence. It’ll take more than 1 good window for me to return but I sincerely hope you enjoy the team this season from SJP

• 27 Tsunki // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:03 PM

Munster, Magscar, fair points I suppose and maybe I have swung a bit too enthusiastically at times at the perceived dismissal of fan unrest. In truth, the convergence of all the most unpleasant things that could happen in Ashleys world has precipitated the current improvements in coaching and player recruitment. I suppose it would be prudent to hold our breath and not sneeze or cough while things are so finely balanced. 🙂 I’m just wary that, as history has shown, Ashley will have another one of his brainwaves that throws a spanner in the works. I hope he has finally learned what style of business he is running here.

• 28 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:03 PM

I may have used wrong wording but after replacing the valve as the reapairs hadn’t worked, they induced me in to a coma for 3 and a half days

• 29 magscar // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:03 PM

On the question of competing with other clubs around 7-10 say (and even 5 and 6) it is clear that the number of players brought in and the total spend are no guarantees for an improved finish over previous season.

On one hand there are Spurs and Liverpool who spent fortunes in recent seasons (and upgraded managers) but couldn’t displace top 4. Hull spent an also comparative fortune and still went down.
    As I mentioned earlier there are then others like Southampton who bucked the trend – losing their “best ” players and manager yet buying wisely and finished in a good position.

This is of course because none of this is happening in a vacuum, other clubs also have money and are desperate to stay in PL so also spend sometimes unwisely and pay over the odds in desperation.

Key is what value do you get ( pound for pound) from your spending, are you upgrading and balancing a squad and can your manager and coaches come up with a system that optimises what you have already, can integrate new players and motivate the whole squad.

Whilst I didn’t regard Pardew as the total amateur as many did, I think most can agree McClaren and all are an undoubted upgrade on him, Carver and Stone (even if there are other better ones out there). I said months ago that I didn’t believe Ashley had the confidence in Pardew to allow him a free rein on how to spend funds or even have a major say in those signed. McClaren is however seemingly making his mark in more ways than one.

Nevertheless there was a time when teams could challenge for the top 4 from a poor starting position. Our first season up in PL under KK we finished 3rd!! That won’t ever happen in the SKY and Fair Play years. Realistically therefore clubs can only look to within a few places of where they finished previous season. The 5th place finish was more about Chelsea and Liverpool underachieving that year as anything else.

8th would do me next but if we had a perfect storm but the opposite to last seasons we could just surprise ourselves. Oddly I don’t think that finishing in the Europa places would now be met with a similar groan at the club as the 5th place was!

• 30 jayphoto // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:04 PM

Don’t think Ashley gives a damn about fans, boycotting or not.
    He cares about money. And Sports Direct.
    1 of a few things are possible to explain this summer.
    1) – Ashley has realised the potential profits are far greater in signing 15m players and selling the, for 40m than signing 5m players and selling them for 10m.

2) Hes decided that the poor publicity around Newcastle last year wasn’t good for sports direct. A successful Newcastle united would be a better brand association for his tack shop.

3) The potential TV riches of the next deal are so great, the exposure for SD so huge around the world that it warrants spending 40-50m on players. We came too close to losing all of that last year.

One thing I think is certain, the better the club do, the more SD association we’ll have. Shocked its not been on the shirts yet…. reckon it might be if Wonga pull the plug

• 31 lesh // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:04 PM

C’mon you haven’t got time to waste on here – you’ve got players to bring in and the Toon Army’s waiting patiently.

So, tell Charnley to get his finger out and get signing.

You take care bonny lad, take it easy eh.

• 32 BandB // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:05 PM

Bloomin’s heck!. You are made of stern stuff.

• 33 Our Toon // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:06 PM

Ahaha, I have to say mate you got the blog to unite with the concern that was being shown for you. Now let’s sort this defence out

• 34 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:07 PM

I am only allowed my phone for very short spells

• 35 SuperShearer // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:07 PM

How long is Mitrovic’s contract? Five years? If so it’s a hell of a signing for the club to get this guy at just 20. I’m not convinced Austin is the way forward unless McClaren is going to play two up top. If so then they’ll be a headache together for any defence in the league. But suspect he’s going with a 4-2-3-1 and therefore need peeps feeding off the big lad.

• 36 JP...from The Rock // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:07 PM

Now for a defender and a winger woth a great cross in him!! I am chuffed that Mitro has signed! Get in!!!

• 37 Munster Mag // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:08 PM

Did Palace get Bamford ??

• 38 scottoon // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:08 PM

As happy as I am to know that TFL is recovering (get well soon lad!) I am just as heartened to know that there is indeed a welcome level of compassion for each other on the blog. I suspect that even some of the usual blog targets would receive similar compassion if they had to endure what TFL has gone through. There is hope for us yet!

• 39 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:08 PM

Our Toon

Yes, well Mbemba is one but then we need a non African for the other maybe Dragovic or someone of that ilk

• 40 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:09 PM

well said scottoon 🙂

• 41 Tsunki // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:10 PM

TFL that seems familiar, coming back to life after 3 and a half days…..

• 42 scottoon // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:11 PM

I suspect that Cisse is sticking around. I really cant see the club going after Austin now, especially as the remaining holes in the side are so glaringly obvious. We need to shore up the backline desperately, and until we see a CB in the publicity photos, I will remain anxious about our prospects for the impending season.

• 43 Tsunki // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:13 PM

Scottoon you’d hope that differences of opinion no matter how great would be easily transcended by human compassion. Evidence the mackem fans response to the lads who died on that MH flight. Although I wouldn’t be surprised if there was the faint pop of a champagne cork or three upon the news of my demise 🙂

• 44 nightfa11 // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:14 PM

I 6 is realistic.. We always had a good core.. We just needed a few top players to really make it.. But the main problem were wiliamson and pardew.. sure wili is a nice guy, But also the worst defender ever..his only atribute is height.. Thats it.. As for pardew..carr supplied him with tecnical players, But pardew wanted to play mourinho style instead of wengers.. He couldnt adapt stye to players at his disposal, But forced them to play whatever that was.. Thats a sign of a shit manager..not to mention excusses and publicly saying players are not good enough.. Wiliamson is not good enough..I agree, But obertan was his signing and as for goufrann.. When he first arrived he was one of our better players..he became shit, when he started playing him as a wing back..

Anyway..great signings so far..But they wont mean much if we dont get a quality defenders in..

• 45 Our Toon // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:15 PM

Those downplaying the boycotts are being disingenuous to fans who were repeatedly told boycotts do nothing. Alot of factors played a part in this windows apparent change in direction, that includes the boycott, relegation threat etc.

• 46 Our Toon // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:21 PM

Think we should look at top 8 / 10 with good runs in the cup. Personally I want to see us trying to back into Europe, the likes of mitrovic will only stick around if in Europe. Don’t forget winners of the EL go into the CL.

For all the stick mitrovic got on this blog and his father got….It turns out we were the ones who couldn’t agree the fee….LG was right!!

• 47 Tsunki // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:22 PM

Jayphoto – promise this is the last I harp on about it but in your point 2 re bad publicity, it can’t all have been sheer bad results that caused that. Whether Ashley gives a monkeys about his customers or not, surely he can’t tolerate even a whiff that his own customer base is peeved being flashed on the same satellite feeds he’s flogging his brand on?

• 48 jayphoto // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:27 PM

TFL Dragovic is an absolute monster! Be a great signing! The guy he plays along side at Kiev, Khacheridi is another absolute monster!

• 49 magscar // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:31 PM

Tsunki @27

Whilst I am optimistic by nature and have seen many comings and goings during my years of support I can fully understand the reticence of many to yet embrace the apparent changes given Ashley’s previous mistakes.

In welcoming them and hoping for definite and longer term changes for the better I am not so naive as to just assume that they are on their way because of recent occurrences. Like you I am taking a prudent stance on the current upward trend but do sense a real sea change for the first time in his reign.

Have to say that the mood of the blog recently lends itself to positive exchanges and a happier read for those who prefer not to contribute than for a very long time. Long may it continue before the next spanner hits the works!

• 50 tequilamag // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:32 PM

Jayphoto I think we should steer clear of monsters after Obertan

• 51 jayphoto // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:34 PM

@Tsunki I don’t reckon it was bad results that caused the bad publicity! Was the fans reaction to it. Reckon the fans have contributed to this change but don’t think Ashleys apparent change is to keep us happy cause he wants us to be happy. He uses the global size of nufc and the premier league to advertise SD. Think now hes finally learnt that the publicity goes both ways. The fan protests brought the media spot light which surely impacted SD in negative brand association. Therefore Ashley has come to realise that the only way to avoid this is to have happy fans, and the only way to achieve this is to compete and have direction.
    Pardew Out, Ashley Out etc for me have all contributed to the signings of Mitrogol and Gini.
    Without Pardew out, I don’t think Pardew jumps ship.
    Hypothetical but I don’t think we make these signings this summer if Pardew is still the manager.
    Be the first to admit I’ve done very little in terms of protesting etc but if next season I’m watching a Newcastle competing for top 6 playing the right kind of football, I know its in no small way down to people that voiced up!

• 52 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:36 PM

Obertan is an Alien. Monsters Vs Aliens is factual 😛 so signing a monster might get rid of old squiddy once and for all.

• 53 tequilamag // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:39 PM

YCMIU still time. Under the Mourinho like guidance and inspiration of SM he could be our Gareth Bale

• 54 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Ycmiu he looks more like mega mind

• 55 jayphoto // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:42 PM

Apparently we pay Obertan 28,000 per week…. though some sources have him on as much as 40,000 p/w
    something tells me he’ll see his contract out

• 56 hatem786 // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:43 PM

Remember MA on SSP?

• 57 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:44 PM

What? You mean he will become even more ugly, and take Welsh citizenship?

• 58 tequilamag // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:47 PM

He started well last season then gradually drifted out of the game and into the treatment room like half the squad. There are 9 in the last year of their contracts we will do well to get rid of any of them early.

• 59 hatem786 // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:47 PM

AS welcome Mitro 🙂

• 60 jayphoto // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:49 PM

reckon Mitrovic is going to do well for us! Noticed over the last few seasons Premier league defenders are getting poorer at dealing with big strikers and are getting worse in the air. Notice when ever Carroll gets on the field he terrifies them!
    Even the big money players like Mangala, Rojo, Lovren look shocking against strong aerial players.
    No coincidence that (Ageuro aside) the 3 strikers that really cleaned up last year were big, strong aerial players in Costa, Kane and Pelle.

• 61 tequilamag // Jul 21, 2015 at 2:49 PM

TCMIU I like Bale just for Pi**ing Ronaldo off

• 62 NezzaNUFC // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:04 PM

WOW Mitrovic at the toon finally, who’s next Chancel? Umitti?

Nice to see you back and well TFL mate.

• 63 NezzaNUFC // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:05 PM

True mate, nice facts as well.

• 64 JackButler // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:07 PM

A very good signing, things are starting to look good but we still need three more experienced and proven additions

• 65 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:11 PM

Nice to get Mitrovic over the line –
    but div’nt get carried away – need at least another two to three signings and everyone staying fit to challenge top six – can see us getting a top ten – which would be progress after the last two seasons.
    AND MAYBE JUST MAYBE a decent cup run.

Anyway – any words on the grapevine about Mbemba

• 66 pawl250 // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:12 PM

We need a strong centre back in the mold of Woodgate. Whoever comes in needs to play alongside an average defence, be solid and in doing so improve and organise those around him.

I think Colo did that the season we finished 5th and has never replicated that form after whatever happened off the pitch later in the season.

Now for me a decent centre back and a good potential right back (mold of Haidara, young and willing to learn and cover for time being) would be more than enough to consider this as a great window.

Baring in mind we have a decent coaching team now, and with moving on likes of RTaylor and Jonas, and a few select others and then with the additions of Wijnaldum and Mitrovic we already look stronger.

2 more players would be enough to make us a top 10 team with ease, or should be.

———————- Krul
    Janmaat – Mbemba – Coloccini – Haidara
    ———– Wijnaldum – Tiote
    Sissoko ——– De Jong ———– Aarons
    ——————– Mitrovic

Subs – Darlow, STaylor, Dummett, Colback, Cabella, Perez, Cisse

GK Elliot, Woodman
    DF Williamson, Good, Lascelles, Satka, Young Rb
    MD Anita, Abeid, Gouffran, Obertan, Bigirmana
    ST Riviere, Armstrong

Lets be honest a great player is not going to come and sit on our bench like they would at Chelsea. We need to accept that our starting 11 looking at the one above is a solid one. And the subs are not bad neither.

Half of our team beyond the subs used to start in 11, now cannot even make the above bench. Its shows abit more depth.

I would take top 8 and a decent cup run (semi final atleast) this season. It would be a huge improvement on last year.

And with likes of Williamson and Colo out of contract next year we would need to bring in CB’s then.

• 67 Jib // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:19 PM

The Match kicks off 07.30pm Portland Time
    03.30am ToonTime
    Link here –

• 68 scottoon // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:19 PM

Pawl – Are your saying that our priority is RB as opposed to CB right now? Many of us are making assumptions regarding Mbemba, and while I hope it is true, I do not believe we can sign just one CB. I think we need another….and not another player who may be off to AFCON. Veltman, Van Dijk, Glik, Rudiger (in no particular order) would fit the bill.

I think the club is relatively happy with our FB situation, and are looking at the likes of Sterry, and Satka to make the step up at RB. There are also the likes of Anita, Dummett, and even Colback who can slot in in a pinch. I agree it would be better to have more seasoned cover there, but for me CB remains a huge priority.

• 69 JackButler // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:21 PM

Personally think we need two centre halfs, to directly replace Colo and Willo another striker, I’d love it to be Austin, and a would love to a few of the youngsters make the step up to the first team squad

• 70 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:22 PM

It looks NUFC are buying players who are young and have won something.

Charnely better get to work and Get Mbemba a work permit. Besides thats e job he used to do as Club Secretary.

• 71 tequilamag // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:26 PM

Scottoon we only really have Janmaat Dummet and Haidara as proper FBs and Dummet is probably a CH long term. Satka is a CH who was not trusted last season at the height of our injury problems.
    If we are serious about having cover in all areas we really need a FB. I can`t see them buying two CH when they have Lascelles new to that position as well assuming the Mbemba move happens

• 72 hibbit // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:28 PM

i would like 2 cb that that wont be going to acon our squad is not big enough to allow players up to 2 months away just look what happened to tiote

• 73 pawl250 // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:29 PM

The next AFCN is 2017. Thats mid the season after next. By then Williamson and Coloccini would have gone and we could replace them with 2 new centre backs.

Whether it be Mbemba, or Van Dijk it does not matter which CB we bring in he needs to be solid, he needs to show quality. No point assuming 8m is a good buy because he cost 8m. I honestly think we missed a trick with Mbiwa, and in doing so let a gem leave the club to Roma where he has solidified his starting role in the team.

That said we have a poor record outside of Woodgate really, possibly Coloccini in regards to poor defenders in the centre.

We need more of a Woodgate type player to command our line and in doing so make us solid. Whether its Mbemba or whoever I do not care, but Coloccini is not so bad we need to disregard him now, another season for sure he will be fine. STaylor as hopefully a bit part player back up.

Then likes of Dummett, Good, Lascelles and Williamson after that.

My point about right back AFTER we get a centre back on board, is rather than adding ANOTHER centre back in when we have all those (unless we sell but lets be honest no one wants our older below average central defenders) we do not have any cover for RB.

Someone mentioned earlier Mbemba can play RB, well why would you want your main centre back to start playing as a RB! We need a right back to play as a right back.

We need a quality centre back worth his price tag and more. Then we need a young right back willing to learn his trade and bide his time on bench for an oppurtunity, similar to how Haidara was.

• 74 hibbit // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:31 PM

i can see colo and willo leaving a lot of interest in this play from boro and pardues cp after colo

• 75 scottoon // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:35 PM

tequila – I am not saying I disagree with your logic, I am just speculating on what I think the club has in mind.

If history is anything to go by, we are both wrong, and the club will bring in one CB and call it a day.

• 76 JackButler // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:35 PM

Can’t see us moving for FB cover as Saylor and Anita can and both have covered right back, Dummett can play at left back while at centre half we have Colo, who is two years past his sell by date and has an attitude that stinks to high hell. Willo, who while he gives 100% he’s simply not good enough And Saylor who no doubt will spend most of his time on the treatment table (again).

Signing quality strikers and midfielders is almost pointless when we ship goals for fun and that’s why in my opinion two proven, quality centre backs has to be the priority if we hope to do anything better than the past few seasons

• 77 stretchintoon // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:36 PM

we wont make top 6 coz ive just had a tenner @33s,most probs come 7th FML.

• 78 tequilamag // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:37 PM

Scottoon there is usually a lingering sense of we were at least one short when the window shuts. Normally a striker though

• 79 pawl250 // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:38 PM

Its not interest mate, its rumors. Boro have two better central defenders than Williamson right now, why would they wanna buy someone who is not only crap, but 31.

As for Colo, he wants to go home. Not London! People just make things up like Cisse going to CP just because he used to manage Newcastle doesn’t mean he wants to take our aging players.

Pardew again has Scott Dann and is heavily linked with Ashely Williams, That is a very good central defence to play with and certainly a better option than Colo.

Wishful thinking……. I think so.

As for 2 CBs why? I know Williamson is not great, and Colo is getting on, and Taylor is injury prone but we have so many now especially if we are going to hopefully get Mbemba too.

Mbemba, Coloccini, Lascelles Williamson, Taylor, Dummett, Good, Satka

I am sorry but we can get another central defender or 2 in next season when Colo and Williamson move because they are not going anywhere now as far as I can see, and who would want them! Yet we have far too many to add another!

IF Mbemba comes we have enough in CB, maybe not in quality but we have enough competition and also enough to get by until Colo and Williamson leave next year. As far as we know Dummett may step up, or Lascelles and become a great player this year.

• 80 pawl250 // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:41 PM

Taylor as rb cover! LOL

Ok when he was younger but not now! If he went out wide he would be injured within 10 minutes in the modern game.

He can hardly run up the pitch once without getting injured nevermind a full 90 mins of back and forward.

Anita can fill the gap in desperation, but to be our number 1 back up is not acceptable or strength in depth. Who are you Pardew? Playing everyone out of position?

• 81 JackButler // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:42 PM

Of the eight CB you listed, four are unproven, two are no longer good enough one is constantly injured and the other, Dummett, is still learning his trade

• 82 pawl250 // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:44 PM

I would love Austin in our team, but only if Cisse were to leave.

Again another position we have players in abundance now, especially given it looks like we will adopt the 4-2-3-1 in the upcoming season.

So 1 striker, and we have

Mitrovic, Cisse, Perez, Riviere and Armstrong when push comes to shove we also have likes of De Jong who can play a number 10 just off the strike role effectively.

Again Austin I would love in, but Cisse being here stops any further strikers coming in.

• 83 JackButler // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:46 PM

I don’t rate Saylor at all, in any position to be honest, but he will be seen as someone who can cover at right back as he’s done so, so many times. Having Colo and Willo as first team/squad members is suicide as both are proven to be not good enough.

We’ve signed some class in midfield and up front but at the centre of our defence we are, and have been for years, woeful.

• 84 pawl250 // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:49 PM

Your view of not good enough and Ashelys view of not good enough are too different interpretations.

For example I think Hazard would improve our team, but its not going to happen.

Colo, Williamson and Taylor have abundance in proving they can get by. Then you have likes of the other “unproven” players. If Mbemba is not good enough then why buy him?! If you argue that “unproven” is a problem then we should get another striker in as Mitrovic is “unproven”.

Seriously, this is not FM, we are not going to buy 10 players and get rid of anyone we want. It requires someone being interested.

I mean CP have Hangeland and Dann FFS and heavily linked with Williams from Swansea. why would they even sniff at Colo or Williamson?!

We are stuck with what we have, again we should get better winger than Obertan but hes here deal with it.

Any decent player worth having is not going to sit on our bench waiting. That goes for players we have, any decent players will not stick around and seek to move.

• 85 calvinzolamakongo // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:51 PM

Give qpr vukic willo and 12 mill for Austin and onhua then sign chancel the with have a cb and cb and right back cover ????

• 86 pawl250 // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:52 PM

Again Jack

We have Mbemba (if he signs), Coloccini, Williamson, Taylor, Lascelles, Dummett, Good, Satka

We are not going to just polish one of the higher earners off as a write off for new blood.

I understand what you are saying and see your point as I agree it needs improvement. But we simply do not have capacity and MA will not buy when he does not need to especially writing money (in wages) off if we cannot move certain people on.

Mclaren has already as good as confirmed Colo will be captain next season. Suggesting he will be starting games to take that role.

• 87 scottoon // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:54 PM

Injuries and suspensions aside, I think it is clear that the projected starters at CB are no where near good enough, especially in comparison to Janmaat at RB. So if I am understanding Pawl well enough he is saying that we need a CB first (likely Mbemba) and then we need cover at RB.

My point is that even assuming Mbemba comes in, we are still out of our depth at CB relative to other sides. Collo, for all of his contributions, is past it, and we all know Willo is not good enough. Lascelles could not nail down a regular start at Forest last season, so I don’t see him making the step up yet. Good and Saylor are injury prone and unlikely to feature, so in my view, two CBs remains a priority at the moment.

• 88 lukes26 // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:55 PM

Pawl, this is not the proper forum for making reasoned, sensible arguments

• 89 pawl250 // Jul 21, 2015 at 3:56 PM

Onouha is a CB, he just shifts to RB to cover.

A proper RB is Clyne, Zabaltea, Debuchy, Janmaat not a makeshift player from central defence.

Ivanovic is the only player I have seen who has been placed out wide and adapted to the same quality.

Vertonghen even struggled for Spurs.

Get players in their strongest positions or bring players in to do the job. Next people will be telling me we are ok for GKs because Mitrovic played in goal once in a professional capacity FFS.

Sometimes people get played out of position. Most times they become a liability for the team when doing so i.e. Taylor at RB, or Colback at LB. Odd times a player is better Sissoko at RM for example.

• 90 lukes26 // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:01 PM

I thought Colback was excellent as makeshift LB last year

• 91 StevoNorthShields // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:03 PM

With a bit of luck, Ashley will realise how quickly we can move on and how naturally optimistic a breed we Geordies are! We never forget the past, but we can let sleeping dogs lie for now and kick on, and if he can not deliberately annoy the real people who run the club, ie the fans, things may be able to chug along nicely.

• 92 JackButler // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:05 PM

youre right this is not FM, but who would have thought we’d have spent close to twenty five million already on just two players? With more to come.

So who knows what will happen, all I know is that if we hope to move on as a club out central defensive positions needs serious attention. Mbemba would be a good start, Lascelles is a complete unknown at this level and while he may be a class addition , do you take that change bearing in mind SM wasn’t even here when he was signed. As for Good, Satka? Are they anywhere near being ready for first team football?

• 93 pawl250 // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:06 PM

Also FYI people who just assume Pardew is after his old squad and for convenience we can just give our tripe across.

Pardew signed Bamford on season long loan, openly Cheslea have stated they want youngsters to get experience, so no doubt will start for them.

Why will he come for Cisse again?

Pardew maybe in charge of CP but they have a half decent team!

Zaha – Cabaye – Bolasie
    ——– Bamford

Thats the front lot in 4-2-3-1

Its wicked pace, and with Cabaye pinging balls all over its his wet dream for willing runners.

• 94 ToonAndy // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:06 PM

A lot of people saying we should only sign another striker if Cisse leaves because we only use one striker… We only use one striker because we haven’t had two quality strikers since Ba and Cisse were in form together. But then again mclaren could come with a whole different philosophy… If we bought Austin aswell, we’d 100% be playing him and Mitrovic upfront together. Which I think we would be much more dangerous that way aswell

• 95 tequilamag // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:13 PM

ToonAndy not sure Ba and Cisse were ever a dream team. The goals dried p for Ba when Cisse came because he was pushed out wide and the next season Cisse stopped scoring because we tried to make Ba happy by playing as a striker. They never clicked as a 442 and it`s unlikely we will be playing that formation . Someone like Remy would be ideal who can play as a wide forward though obviously not Remy

• 96 pawl250 // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:18 PM

25m in todays market is pocket change.

The value for the players we have bought is actually good value.

In a market where Austin is £15m, Sterling is £49m, Benteke is £32.5m

Really £12m on a 20 year old “unproven” player who could just flop in reality and £14.5m on a Dutch international is hardly alot of money.

Its just a solid buy. We do not have another 5 of them coming though. Maybe 1 or 2 players around 5m to 10m and thats our lot. Assuming 1 is Mbemba.

• 97 nut meg // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:20 PM

Good to hear you’re on the mend,stay strong & keep your chin up bonny lad.

• 98 JackButler // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:22 PM

You are missing the point mate, that type of money for Ashley is massive and who knows how much more will be spent.

But if you use your argument then what’s twenty million on two centre halfs?

• 99 hibbit // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:22 PM

pawl boro asked about willo 2 weeks ago and were quoted 2m …who are the 2 better cb at boro you speak about ……one other thing woodgate had to be persuaded not to retire plus willo would do a good job in the championship

• 100 awaydays // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:23 PM

I have a feeling Staylor might be a starter this season if fit but my team would be

Jaanmat mbemba. Cb? HaidAra
    Wijnaldum. colback
    De jong/sissoko
    Moses. Mitrovic. Aarons/cabella

The centre back i would like is abdennour but i dont think it will happen but a powerful cb needed then colo would leave… And i Watched moses at stoke last season and he was quality

• 101 2_goal_tino // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:24 PM

ToonAndy- Ba and Cisse were never in form together. It was either or. The one who was on form in the centre and the other stuck out on the wing. It is what first got Ba to contemplate moving.

My priority for new signings is:
    1. Starting CB
    2. Starting LB (Haidara has potential but is still a liability and Dummett should only ever be considered a CB)
    3. Left winger to compete with Aarons (who can also do set pieces)
    4. CB to compete with Willo
    5. Back-up RB
    6. Striker (Priority only increases if Cisse goes – Cisse is a good goalscorer more than capable of being first choice or back-up)

I envisage us getting 1 more ‘purple’ and then a few more younger, untested players such as Perez last season.

• 102 JackButler // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:35 PM

What formation has Mitrovic been playing in? Is he a lone striker, playing one of a front three or with another striker?

• 103 kilbane // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:18 PM

Obertan’s crosses will finally start having end product.

• 104 kilbane // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:31 PM

Give me Van Dijk and stop chasing after a defender with height issues and controversial age. Thank you.

previous post: Mitrovic Explains Delay In Signing For Newcastle – Video