The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Mitrovic A Boyhood Newcastle Fan – I’m Happy, Proud And Excited

11:21 am, Tuesday, July 21st, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 62 Comments

We had pointed out yesterday that when Aleksandar Mitrovic was 16 years old four years ago and at Partizan Belgrade,  he was asked  what his favorite club was apart from Partizan,  and he said Newcastle United, and he was a big fan of Newcastle when young.

He knows all about a certain Alan Shearer, who he says was a big hero of his and he likes to play like Alan did.

Shearer continues to be a huge asset to Newcastle United when we are trying to get players through the door – it’s just a pity he’s not somehow part of the club in say an Ambassadorial role.

The young striker has spoken exclusively to nufcTV,  and he says he used to love pulling on that black and white shirt of Newcastle with his name on the back – well he’s going to do that many many times in the future, the more the better.

eleksandar mitrovic at SAt. James'Park

Aleksandar Mitrovic at St. James’ Park  – boyhood dream come true

He wore the shirt yesterday after leaving St. James’ Park and returning to the Hilton hotel, where he seems to be staying.

This is what our new exciting 20 year-old striker has said:

“It has been a few long days for me, because every day I wait to see what will happen between the clubs.” “But I am very happy, proud and excited. I cannot wait to start training with the team.”

“Last season Newcastle asked for me and this season they showed they really want me. This is the reason I have come here.” “I am also a fan of Newcastle, I follow Newcastle and I am very proud to be here.”

“For me, Newcastle is the best club to make progress, to play here with these amazing fans.” “I have been to the stadium and it was amazing. The atmosphere looks amazing on the television and I cannot wait for my first game.”

“This is a Club with big history,” “The fans are close to the players and I like that because I have had that in my previous two clubs.” “I know how to play with pressure at big clubs, having played for the biggest clubs in Belgium and Serbia.”

“There is going to be pressure here, for sure, but I like that.”

This lad is going to be huge favorite with the fans, especially the youngsters who will be able to empathize with him for being a big fan of Alan Shearer and that he just loves wearing the Newcastle shirt.

That’s also true with us older folks too – we’re still kids at heart.

I don’t know if I’ve said this before this morning (just kidding), but this is a truly monumental signing for Newcastle and it will only help us get our other targets through the door this summer.

It’s a five year deal for Mitrovic, and the fee is around £13M.

It’s a great interview and if you have a subscription to nufcTV watch it – it’s a pity the club doesn’t make it available to all the fans – maybe it will come on YouTube.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Contracts · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Premier League · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

62 responses so far ↓

• 1 Slank // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:25 AM

Blofal @ 104

I suspect that McClaren will play Aarons and Sissoko on the wings as first choice with Perez the automatic cover.

Like you I have always thought that Cabella would be better playing centrally but that looks very congested at the moment. If given the right coaching and support I have also thought that Marveaux would be good centrally but again there are too many better players there.

With regards to Goofy and Obertan I don’t see them in McClaren’s plans.

• 2 BandB // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:25 AM

I think its sad that when players show us their name on the proud old shirt these days, there’s not a black and white stripe in sight.

• 3 Ibizatoon // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:26 AM

Right, who is going to put him through his “real fan” test.

Bold statement there lad. He can’t possiblly understand the real fans…mind…at least he’s been to SJP…

• 4 John Tudor // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:27 AM

i would get get shot of sissoko his hearts not here good on shcteeve to give the the talk of who wants to be here ,i expect more will go

• 5 Slank // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:28 AM

Shadow_Shearer /

‘..Can anybody explain the APPROPRIATE VISA????..’

He is not an EU citizen. He is Serbian.

• 6 bills-son // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:28 AM

Two good signings, but …

We still need to sign a couple of fist shakers and shouters who really get stuck into the oppo AND get stuck verbally into any of our own players who are slacking during a match.

Our midfield is powder puff compared to the top six and even the bottom six often muscle and elbow us out of a game – especially away.

Tiote is the only truly physical player we have in the squad but he is as quiet as a mouse on the pitch.

Teams that dominate the midfield protect the back four and are hard to beat. Our midfield has been as much to blame for the shocking goals against as our defenders.

Selling Tiote would be a massive loss and seriously weaken the squad unless he is replaced – preferably with two strong DM’s.

• 7 remember69 // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:29 AM

Good article on Mitrovic on ESPN;

• 8 jayphoto // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:29 AM

Doubt he’ll be that intimidated by the stage. Partizan is a terrifying ground! Far more so than St James’.
    Anderlecht have a top ground for atmosphere and football! Hopefully NUFC see sense and pop the singing section back in, need to do something to raise the atmosphere.
    Someone tell Mash that if he keeps signing top players we won’t sing songs about him

• 9 Ibizatoon // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:30 AM

Apologies, mis-quoting the lad…

Right, who is going to put him through his real “fan” test.

Bills…Agreed. We have desperately missed vocal leaders the past while. Really since we lost Nolan and Barton.

That for me would be a great indication that things are changing. It has appeared in the past that these type of players have been removed as soon as they questioned the clubs stance. If that’s changed, it would be a real positive sign for the future.

• 10 Tsunki // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Jeff, previous. Thanks for your input but you didn’t have to go to all the bother of making that post in support of boydonegood to prove to me you’re an idiot.

The ‘crow’ part of his post illustrates his intent of future ‘crowing’. The bragging part is where he reposted his prediction in isolation for readers to take it at face value, which I took as bragging. Google is a limited assistant, it can’t actually do your rationalising for you.

• 11 BandB // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:35 AM

If we are going to play 10 yards further up the pitch as McClaren claims, we are going to need plays who can command the half way line and direct and break up play from there.
    Our midfield has been playing directly in front of the back four, which isolates the strikers and gives the opposition the freedom of the park.
    How many times recently have we seen an opponent with all the time in the world to pick an easy-peasy pass that puts our DMs and defenders out of the game?

• 12 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:37 AM

I don’t think signing Mbemba, Abdennour, Austin, Mitrovic, Wijnaldum. Can guarantee us Top 6 finish?

We will have to keep Cisse, Toite and May b Colo too. Coz thats improvement.

GK: Krul, Darlow, Woodman
    RB: Janmmatt, Bigi
    LB: Durmett, Haidara, Fergie
    CB: Mbemba, Abdennour, Colo, Taylor, Lasceles
    CM: Wijnaldum, Colback, Anita, Tiote, Abeid,
    RM: Sissoko, Perez, Obertan
    LM: Aarons, Cabella, Guoffran
    F: Mitrovic, Austin, Cisse, De Jong, Rivere, Armstrong.

TOP 6 CLUB.

• 13 Jib // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:37 AM

Shadow Shearer
    The European Union Schengen area is basically all of the Community apart from the UK , they do not require Serbs to have a visa , the UK do.

• 14 2_goal_tino // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:37 AM

I agree with a previous poster talking about Perez being utilised as a winger. I personally am not convinced by Thauvin given the amounts that are being suggested. I am amazed we didn’t have a stronger interest in Andre Ayew – free, relatively young, bags of experience, a LW with a genuine goal threat.

Perez, Gouffran and Aarons will have to cover LW atm. Perhaps, when we are away and against one of the big boys we may also consider Dummett LB and Haidara LM.

• 15 BandB // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:38 AM

We are signing players.
    Is this something our competitors have neglected to do?
    Won’t THEY be surprised when WE turn up with NEW people!

• 16 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:38 AM

Mcclaren hasnt yet played Perez in the Winger position

• 17 magscar // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:38 AM

On the new style shirt – am I alone in thinking that our players depending on the view they have of a team mate (front or back) may have some confusion whilst on the ball if playing against a side in plain white or say light blue shirts. Not quite Ferguson’s famous grey shirt excuse for Man U’s debacle at Southampton after the 5-0 here but there may be something in it.

• 18 Tsunki // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:40 AM

Bills-son I agree about our midfield. The previous incumbents were shockingly bad at organising it.

• 19 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:41 AM

Great to see Mitrovic has signed!

• 20 Thump // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:42 AM

Honestly bills, I don’t think he would selling Tiote would be that much of a loss, unless McClaren can bring back the Cheik of old. I do agree that if he goes he absolutely needs replacing (for reasons you already said).

The only real link to a DM that I’ve seen is Banega, and he could be a bit of a risk.

• 21 Ian Toon // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:43 AM

124Ian Toon // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:39 AM

bills- I remember reading something about Pato being offered to Hull City in January. They were said to have turned him down on fitness grounds.

JFA is currently on his 4th re-draft of a statement to fans. He’s got an opening statement ” As my legion of followers are only too well aware we should have bought big time when we finished 5th.”
    Thereafter he’s got writers block and a waste paper basket full of screwed up paper. He just can’t get beyond starting the next sentence with BUT. However JFA – it’s the But part we all want to hear. I am not into conspiracy theories so I don’t believe the claim that JFA has a fall back position and the resurrection of Sack Llambias.
    For me one swallow or rather two swallows errr doesn’t make a summer ! Ashley out – oh JFA would you kindly, I mean please would you you know what I mean! He that is down need fear no fall- leave.

Read Salinger and learn to spot a phoney. I like to think that this coming season we will see the face of the new Newcastle and that failure and praising failure ceases to be a blog pastime. As well as a few more additions to the squad we want Steve Mc to inspire those players that have underperformed ( like Anita) to do better. You know it makes sense.
    JFA Out- ( and not to resurface as Sack Llambias)!

• 22 davetoon // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:44 AM

well said bills

• 23 Slank // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:45 AM

will die for the toon army @ 12

‘..Can guarantee us Top 6 finish?…’

You should forget about a top six finish unless you believe that either Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool and Spurs are going to have a devastatingly bad season.

Teams that survive by the skin of their teeth don’t suddenly challenge for the Champions League the next season.

• 24 BandB // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:46 AM

Spotting you as a Salinger fan was my proudest blog moment.
    It’s is literature far angry, confused, adolescent outsiders.

• 25 Tsunki // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:48 AM

Ian on the subject of literary critique, have you finished your re-write of history? 🙂

• 26 Slank // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:49 AM

will die for the toon army @ 16

‘..Mcclaren hasnt yet played Perez in the Winger position..’

Unless my eye have deserted me I’m sure I saw Perez playing down either wing in the second half of the last game. Didn’t he nutmeg someone near the touchline ?

• 27 Tsunki // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:50 AM

Jesper – brace yourself for a return to O.V.! it’s a bit run down but I think it can be patched up just as good as new. 😉

• 28 BandB // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:51 AM

One knows what angry, confused, immature Salinger fans have been known to do after fixating on a person they have identified in their messed-up, multi-personality heads as a phoney.

• 29 Ibizatoon // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:52 AM

BandB…They won’t know what’s hit them.

It’s good to know there was a plan all along. If only we could see it before!

• 30 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:53 AM

Slank Top 6 will be hard but we can force ourselves in there with that squad. We will have less games. No Europe.

• 31 Ian Toon // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:53 AM

BandB- I am a Kipling, John Irving, Shermer and even Rod Liddle many and varied fan. Maybe we’re two peas in the same pod.
    Enjoy your day – weather is great and I still have a few hours before starting work.
    By the way many congratulations.

• 32 Tsunki // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:54 AM

I seem to remember that when Postman Pat rights were bought by a Japanese Company, it was remarked that in Japan he was referred to as “Pato-San” and there was some discomfort over his character having only three fingers. A bit of a disturbing character twist for the under-5’s that their mail-delivering hero might be Yakuza. 🙂

Pato-San, Pato-San
    Mailbag – toting gangster man!

• 33 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:55 AM

You seem to be claiming some credit for recent positive changes at SJP. I’m not persuaded. I suspect you won’t win over many converts. The reason the club has acted is everything to do with the massive scare they got in coming so close to relegation. You just had to see Ashley’s and Charnley’s celebrations to see that they never wanted to be put in that situation again. The fact that you and a few others boycott games and sound off on here probably doesn’t hit their busy radar.

• 34 BandB // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:55 AM

Is Kipling good Ian?
    I’ve never Kipled.

• 35 jayphoto // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:55 AM

Worth noting McClaren played inverted forwards out wide in a 4-3-3 at both Twente and Derby County.
    Wouldn’t surprise me if Riviere (played wide for A.S.S.E.) and Perez weren’t used as wide in a front 3. Both have the pace, workrate etc to be successful doing so.
    Mitrovic (whilst a huge upgrade) is similar to Chris Martin in style (not ability)
    If we play a similar style to Derby i’ll be happy. They played some really great football

• 36 expatmag // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:55 AM

John Tudor

Careful old man. Dont want you having a heart attack there.

I have never seen you post anything positive or for that matter, sensible on this blog.

You are proving to be a boring old fart. SMB will make you welcome down the road.

Your pal, Mr. TUFF, can give you directions….lol

• 37 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:56 AM

We have the Cart now we are buying horses.

• 38 Tsunki // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:56 AM

Ha a pod usually has many peas. Split peas maybe?

• 39 BandB // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:56 AM

We don’t need another mailbag-toting gangsta man round these parts thank you very much!

• 40 peter5199 // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:57 AM

@5 &13
    Serbia is an associate member of the EU, not a full member. Hence he needs a work visa, the same as he did in Belgium.

• 41 GEORDIE69 // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:57 AM

2 down 7 to go and only then top 8 can be our realistic target!

GK Krul
    GK Darlow
    GK Elliot (3rd choice only)
    RB Janmaat

RB Holgate
    CD Mbemba
    CD Matip/Veltman/Abdennour /Van Dijk
    CM Banega/Fer
    AM Thauvin/Townsend
    CF Austin

• 42 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:59 AM

Tsunki…and I’ll bet the usual suspects will conclude I am a member once again!

So are we bashing the writing of Salinger now? How interesting…more interesting why are certain bloggers always running to the aid of gloatboy? The axis and allies I suppose???

• 43 Terry // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:59 AM

The very mention of gouffrans name in some people’s squads leaves me wondering if I should chuck this game.’Seriously’.For sure one of the worst I’ve seen up there,he offers nothing and I honestly would rather see the squad cut by one

• 44 magscar // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:59 AM

Perhaps this is where Wijnaldum, Colback come in as well as us not giving the ball away cheaply thus not allowing us to move forward as a unit. Mitrovic looks much more likely to be able to hold ball up as well.

may not be surprised that we have new ( some of our fans are) but our varying tactics and not giving the opposition the ball or allowing them free rein on it or presenting stupid freekicks just might catch a few out to start with.

With all Bournemouth’s new players and a rated manager they might just avoid relegation but then it’s quality not quantity that usually comes out on top so my money would be on them for the drop even before a ball is kicked.

• 45 BandB // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:00 PM

I will run to the aid of anyone who is being unfairly targeted.
    Or have you already forgotten?

• 46 davetoon // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:01 PM

@Blackley I assume you added a bit of banter to your original thoughts

Surely you can’t say all the negative press about Ashley had no effect?

• 47 Slank // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:01 PM

will die for the toon army @ 30

I admire your optimism but not your predictions.

But if you really believe we will force our way into the top six now is the time to nip down to the bookies and put money on it as the odds will be fantastic and you will be rolling in it if it comes true !

• 48 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:01 PM

Jay…I haven’t watch the pre’season games but it looks as though McClaren are using a 4-2-3-1 instead of a 4-3-3!

…hope it will chance as soon as we sign a few more players!

• 49 Ian Toon // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:01 PM

Tsunki – what ! You mean your not a kitchen fitter! Unrelated to you being a kitchen fitter – i was reading about user data being leaked from Ashley Madison the adultery site. Will this have an impact on your private dick business?

• 50 Mag52 // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:02 PM

What I do hope is that, as we have a number of players bought as ‘midfielders’, we aren’t subjected to the outpouring of abuse of the manager if he decides to try out some of them on the flanks, and we happen to lose a few matches.
    The cry of ’round pegs in square holes’ was posted rather too often as a criticism of the last manager, often in ignorance of the player’s experience in his previous club, and anyway it has got to be a manager’s right, even duty, to give players the chance to show what they can do for the team in a position in which they might not have had a lot of experience.

• 51 Tsunki // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:02 PM

Blackley, you might believe that but you can’t prove it. What we DO know is that we were going to be relegated. There was growing fan unrest. Behind the scenes was a growing backlog of season tickets not being renewed. There was coverage on TV of fan protests, scale unimportant. Unlike prior to our last relegation, this time Ashley was forced (yes that’s right) by some or all of these events to break his media fast. Logic would suggest that none of these factors could be excluded from the collective. To say otherwise is specious reasoning based on ones own agenda. What makes you deny the influence of fan unrest, blackley?

• 52 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:03 PM

BandB…unfair? Sure…

Axis and Allies that’s what it is…you are just bringing on the devide

• 53 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:05 PM

…you seem to think just because one has stepped out of line it excuses someone else. Most people can see though what’s going on here these days…

• 54 BandB // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:05 PM

I tried to coax Jail off your back a couple of nights ago.
    I have crossed swords with him plenty of times.
    You seem a rather contrary fellow these days.

• 55 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:07 PM

BandB…was that what you did?

I do tend to misunderstand things at times (I have been told)

• 56 tequilamag // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:08 PM

Jesp I think you may over estimate the depth of interest of the various feuds on here. Most people are too bored by it to take a side.I can barely summon the enthusiasm to dislike you these days

• 57 BandB // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:08 PM

I have praised your English at times when it was being mocked.
    You seemed happy at the time.
    I promise never to do it again.

• 58 JP...from The Rock // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:12 PM

Two great signings somfar and two players I really wanted are now ours. Can’t help but get excited. Though there are still many cracks in the team that need fixing.

We need at least;
    1 more CB
    1 more Winger – preferably one that can play on either side
    1 more Striker – if we could get one that could also play as a winger also then even better.

Then we could ship out the likes of Obertan, Willo, Gouffran etc.

• 59 Matt_toon // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:16 PM

Loving the signs of life finally in the boardroom! But, guys, some of the teams people are putting out on here, people seem to have short memories. Sissoko on the right?! We were all going CRAZY at Pardew for playing him there! He’s wasted and it’s not his best position. Moved him to the middle and he exploded last season (granted he tailed off once his hope of a Jan move dissolved), just confused as to why suddenly some fans are looking to fit him in on the right? Square pegs, round holes. It’s more than likely he will go. If he is played on the right, it’s just a step backwards for me, need a genuine wide right striker winger.

Great we got Mitrovic though, keep ’em coming!

• 60 Ian Toon // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:17 PM

BandB- my grandfather got me hooked on Kipling as a kid- Jungle Book. Liked the poetry as well. Read Catch 22 a few years ago on 50th anniversary to appreciate what was so entertaining about it – my older brother had set the trend and as a kid I didn’t quite get it. Same with Dickens and Lewis Carroll.
    Any news of the signing of a brute of a CB with pace.?

• 61 Jib // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:18 PM

The Italian press is full of this story
    There seems to be 2 takes on it
    The anti Roma media are mocking Roma to bits
    The pro Roma media are crying their eyes out
    they seemed to think they just had to express an interest and Mitrovic would come running.
    So well done Charnley et al for a good job .

• 62 Bobbybee // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:32 PM

Fixing several years of under investment can’t happen overnight, but we’ve made a brilliant start. Quality players to lay the foundations for the next two windows – which Macca also earmarked for further spending. We wanted a club that tries and we’re now trying. We wanted good coaching and better football – which we’re introducing now. Is it not now time to move on? There’s no magic wand that can fix it overnight, but give credit where it’s due. Money’s getting spent wisely and the team is taking shape. I agree with the poster who wants the singing section back 100%. We don’t want to let our expectant new stars be disappointed with the atmosphere. SJP needs to be a fortress again and
    only WE can do that. Newcastle, United, will never be defeated. Bring back the noise!

previous post: Newcastle Announce Mitrovic Signing – I’m Happy And Honored