The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Mitrovic’s High Praise For Newcastle Fans And His Hero Alan Shearer

4:16 pm, Tuesday, July 21st, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 133 Comments

Aleksandar Mitrovic scored 44 goals in 90 appearances for Alderlecht in the two years he was in Brussels, and he has just signed a five year contract with Newcastle that puts him on about £32K/week as a base salary, plus bonuses for a win and a draw.

His transfer fee was close to £12.5M – the fourth highest in Newcastle’s history for a young striker who turns 21 in September, and he has talked today about the Newcastle fans and his hero Alan Shearer,  admitting that he likes to play the way Alan played.

Mitrovic has also said he was a Newcastle fan while growing up in Serbia,  and knows all about Newcastle United’s ¨very big¨ history.

aleksandar mitrovic holding shirt

Aleksandar Mitrovic holding a Newcastle shirt
And trying to smile

Aleksandar started off by talking about the Newcastle fans:

I know the fans are very passionate. It’s a club with a very big history, the club and fans are really, really close and a big part of that. I like that, I had that in my last two clubs as well.”

“I also know about the famous players who have played for Newcastle United, like Alan Shearer who is a hero of mine. I hope I can play like him for this club. It will be an honor.”

“I’m aggressive, strong. I’m a goalscorer! I am a real number nine, the penalty box is my place.” “My position is through the middle, I’m like the strikers who have played here before – from Alan Shearer to Papiss Cisse.”

“They are big names and I hope I can make a similar impact.”  “Alan Shearer is a real legend and one of my heroes. That and Drogba is how I like to play. I’m a physical sort of player. I like to fight and score goals.”

“I know how to play with pressure. Anderlecht and Partizan Belgrade are the biggest clubs in Belgium and Serbia, so I know I’m going to have pressure for sure here. I like to play with pressure, that’s what I can say.”

“I like crosses into the box, I feel comfortable and I like to be in the box.” “I’m a calm guy but on the pitch I’m different. I work hard all week for it and on the pitch I want to win.”

That’s two top players brought in by Newcastle for about £27M, the third and fourth highest transfer fees paid out in the club’s history is good, behind only world class strikers Michael Owen and Alan Shearer.

That puts Newcastle into 4th place in the Premier league spending stakes in this summer’s transfer window, but we still need at least three more top players brought in during the summer.

We hope that happens since we still need two top center-backs and one more striker.

But so far – it’s been a good start by Newcastle, who seem determined to put this year’s terrible second half of the season behind them – and get set up for much better things ahead.

That sounds (very) good to us.

Incoming Transfers – Newcastle – 2015

Ryan TaylorReleasedHull City
Jak AlnwickReleasedPort Vale
Adam CampbellReleasedNotts County
Remie StreeteReleasedPort Vale
Transfer Fees In£4.0M
Net Spend£52.6M

Tags: Aleksandar Mitrovic · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Premier League · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

133 responses so far ↓

• 1 mindshaft // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:20 PM

Bizarre people are saying a top six finish is achievable – we were almost relegated last season and we’ve bought two players since. Neither of them are defenders and given the rate we shipped goals last season we will struggle for top ten without signing at least one CB , a LB and a DM
    Neither Colback nor Anita can do the job and Tiote looks like he’s lost the plot

• 2 pawl250 // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:20 PM

25m in todays market is pocket change.

The value for the players we have bought is actually good value.

In a market where Austin is £15m, Sterling is £49m, Benteke is £32.5m

Really £12m on a 20 year old “unproven” player who could just flop in reality and £14.5m on a Dutch international is hardly alot of money.

Its just a solid buy. We do not have another 5 of them coming though. Maybe 1 or 2 players around 5m to 10m and thats our lot. Assuming 1 is Mbemba.

• 3 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:20 PM

Mbemba and Austin in, Cisse and Williamson out! Sorted.

I’d like to see Danny Rose brought in as LB aswell. Canny player I think.

• 4 Belfast // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:22 PM

Can somebody explain to me how you can go from staying up on the last day of the season by the skin of your teeth, to finishing in the top 6 after signing two players ?

Did Dynamo the magician join the coaching staff ?

• 5 hibbit // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:23 PM

pawl boro asked about willo 2 weeks ago and were quoted 2m …who are the 2 better cb at boro you speak about ……one other thing woodgate had to be persuaded not to retire plus willo would do a good job in the championship

• 6 nut meg // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:24 PM

Good to hear you’re on the mend,stay strong & keep your chin up bonny lad.

• 7 Belfast // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:25 PM

F*** sake Mindshaft you stole my question

• 8 pawl250 // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:25 PM

Top 6 is a dream.

Baring in mind the likely top 6 will be
    Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool and Tottenham.

When you consider likes of Everton (normally, not last season due to EL), Swansea and Southampton are not far off and where we finished last year.

Top 8 is possible, and even that is a hope. Top 6 is not going to happen.

Year we finished 5 was a fluke more than anything. Mainly because likes of Chelsea and Liverpool had shocking seasons.

We were 17 points off the mark for top 8 last season. Thats 6 more wins.

With a new striker, better midfield and hopefully luck with injuries and maybe a slight improvement on defence if it goes our way its a big ask but possible.

Especially considering Swansea lost Bony mid last year and have not had a full season without him.

• 9 2_goal_tino // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:27 PM

ToonAndy- Ba and Cisse were never in form together. It was either or. The one who was on form in the centre and the other stuck out on the wing. It is what first got Ba to contemplate moving.

My priority for new signings is:
    1. Starting CB
    2. Starting LB (Haidara has potential but is still a liability and Dummett should only ever be considered a CB)
    3. Left winger to compete with Aarons (who can also do set pieces)
    4. CB to compete with Willo
    5. Back-up RB
    6. Striker (Priority only increases if Cisse goes – Cisse is a good goalscorer more than capable of being first choice or back-up)

I envisage us getting 1 more ‘purple’ and then a few more younger, untested players such as Perez last season.

• 10 Jamseyd24 // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:28 PM

Now we need another nice rumor/target to get out teeth into for the next week or so.

• 11 pawl250 // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:28 PM

Tiote will be fine, Colback was one of our better players last year. And Wijnaldum is literally better than all of them put together!

As for Lb, think Haidara will make it his role to lose this year.

Agree we need a CB. Williamson is not good enough and he inevitably slots in for Taylor when he gets injured. We need a player in CB role to play and Taylor to slot in for any injuries making Williamson a last resort, especially with Lascelles coming into contention hoepfully before him.

Would like to see atleast 1 CB arrive and 1 young right back for future as back up to Janmaat.

• 12 hibbit // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:29 PM

pawl we need more then a slight improvement in defence to get anywhere near top 8

• 13 cyprus // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:31 PM

We are really showing intent. I know that we could do more, for example buy 5, 10, 20 new players but realistically: we have tossed out the old coaching team, brought in a new one and bought two apparently top players who should come out of the blocks.

We do already have a bunch of internationals who perform very well at international level (e.g. Tiote, Siss, etc.) and not so well at team.

We have young mixing with old.

‘Attitude’ (e.g. Mitro, Tiote, Colb., even Taylor etc.) and character could be a + factor.

Now, we need the coaches to get them playing the football they know; to convince them they can beat anyone; to lead us to a better place.

• 14 pawl250 // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:31 PM

Lb is not badly covered in my opinion.

Dummett looked pretty much at home their last season. Has pace, is young and can actually cross more often than not a decent ball.

Haidara will be the one to look for this year and then look to replace/add in January for cheap if he does not make the grade.

Certainly agree with CB being priority, then a right back as we have no cover at all in that position, then agree about winger (either side really, Cabella can cover the other), and another centre back.

• 15 Belfast // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:34 PM

With no more signings we wouldn’t even finish in the top ten. Our defense is absolutely shocking. If they sign a couple of center backs I’d say top ten.

That’s being realistic in my opinion.

Loads of teams have improved in the last few seasons and we haven’t. Unless Dynamo has joined the coaching staff we won’t be anywhere near the top six. Sorry !

• 16 lukes26 // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:36 PM

I think the current team has fewer weaknesses than the one that finished 5th.

That team had ‘in top form of their lives’ cabaye, tiote and demba ba though.

• 17 2_goal_tino // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:36 PM

Undoubtedly our next two signings (if we do make any more) have to be defenders. We were awful in attack last season but with Mitrovic, De Jong and Cisse fully fit, Perez a year more experienced and the creativity of Cabaye finally replaced by Wijnaldum we should be okay.

Only QPR conceded more than us last season. Our focus has to be on drastically improving defence now. Not just through starters but by actually having back-up so midfielders don’t have to fill in and full-backs play in the centre.

Can’t understand why people are turning on Colback cause we’ve made a few signings – he would still be pretty much the first name on the team sheet for me. Him, Janmaat and Perez are the only ones to come out of last season with any credit.

• 18 pawl250 // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:37 PM

Slight improvement in defence by adding a quality CB is something that can make or break a defence.

If we roll the years back and look at Woodgate and the tripe he played alongside (when he actually played, injuries being the issue) he made our awful defence look like a rock.

A decent CB can do that. We need a CB that good again, and that would improve our chances.

In the real world though those above us had better teams last season and improve for this season.

We can reduce the gap but not by much, and in some cases most likely gap gets bigger.

People saying Liverpool are weaker are idiots. They have so much more depth, ok none are Suarez but on last season they have so many options and they really do look like an improving team. Sterling going is really not an issue if you ask me far too over priced and over hyped.

• 19 pawl250 // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:39 PM

Luke 26

Maybe, but the teams around us are better,

Stoke, Swansea, Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs, all of them have better teams than that season.

Chelsea being the obvious one who finished below us that simply wont this season.

• 20 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:40 PM

I think the Toon will bring that Sterry through as RB cover next season. Haidara still has alot to prove for me as a guaranteed starter at LB.

To have a player as good as Janmaat at LB would be excellent. Haidara isn’t the long term solution I doubt. He is OK for cover but I’d like to see an upgrade to the same class as Janmaat if possible.

• 21 pawl250 // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:42 PM

My point exactly.

We need a class CB that will start every game, probably alongside Colo. Who despite aging was our best defender last year still in the centre.

We have NO cover for RB though.

Atleast Dummett is capable and an option at LB. I would go as far to say he has played his best games at LB for us.

• 22 cyprus // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:45 PM

The team (squad?) on paper looks very impressive. People like Krul, Jaan, Colo, Colb., Siss, Georgin, Perez, Mitro, Cabs, De Jong (?), Tiote, etc. could have been playing for top teams.

Admittedly, we need one solid CB.

Then, we’re set for CL days 😉

• 23 firebug666 // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:46 PM

It’s true that other teams around us have improved over the seasons, but look at what we could achieve on our day.

This season we will be pretty much an unknown entity, We will have the same team with a few additions, hopefully a CB or two added, but we will have a new footballing philosophy, and a new team motivator. None of us will know how this will pan out until we have a few games.

IMO without the likes of Carver and co last season we could have finished higher up the table with the players we had. That last game against West Ham showed what we could do, and this season I think we will be better.

Well that’s my two penneth anyway.

• 24 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:48 PM

Top six -No chance
    Maybe top ten and a cup run.
    We don’t have strength in depth and need to sort out/change of luck for injuries.
    Decent forward line/striker now to pick from – Mitrovic, Cisse, Perez,
    Decent midfield/striker – De Jong, Wijnaldum, Aarons
    Decent midfield – Sissoko, Tiote, Colback
    Defence – Jaanmat – after that rest poor not up to premiership standard
    Goalkeeper – good shot stopper but command of six yard box and distribution – poor
    Need two or three top defenders to be a top six team because our goals against column since we came back into the premiership has been shocking.

• 25 cyprus // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:49 PM

Haidara has been a standout going forward. In defense he may need work. Could become outstanding, enough being a backup, was our best player a couple days ago. My concern is in mid defense.

And tactics! The talent may be here already, in many ways.

• 26 Jib // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:50 PM

If we had lost against West Ham we would have still stayed up.

We finished the season on 39 points
    Liverpool ended up 6th on 62 points
    Just think of all the games Carver contrived to get us zero points that were easily winnable , then have a count up.

Don’t be so melodramatic man.

• 27 lukes26 // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:50 PM

Pawl. Agreed. The compeition’s gotten better

I’d rank our Strikers maybe 8th-9th in the league

Midfield 8th

Defense Maybe 18 or 19th … as it stands now

Goalie 4th

• 28 JackButler // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:52 PM

You are missing the point mate, that type of money for Ashley is massive and who knows how much more will be spent.

But if you use your argument then what’s twenty million on two centre halfs?

• 29 lukes26 // Jul 21, 2015 at 4:58 PM

I think Pawl made the point earlier that Colo, Taylor and Williamson are in the last years of their contracts and no one will take them off our hands.

• 30 JackButler // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:00 PM

Like pawl you obviously don’t know that there IS interest in both Colo and Willo

• 31 sparky55 // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:01 PM

Mitrovic looks good but he won’t make up for the sh!te defence we have in it’s current form.

None of the current centre back players in our squad (with the possible exception of Dummett) are good enough for the premier league. Colo is too old, too slow and way past his best, and the rest aren’t even worthy of a mention with Lacelles (who does have potential) IMO not ready as yet.

We’ve already proven before with shearer and all his partners over the years that a great attacking formation never makes up for a sh!te defence.

We’ve had some of the best strikers in the country play for us alongside shearer and we’ve won diddly squat.

There’s no point wasting any more money on the squad until we buy two premiership class centre backs…otherwise 6th really is a pipe dream and IMO still is a pipe dream even with 2 very good centre halves.

IMO 8th is the best we can sensibly wish for and anything higher is a brucey bonus

2 good centre backs please Mikey

• 32 optimistic prime // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:03 PM

Just think lads if we sign Mbemba we could win the World Cup.

Haha, in all seriousness I like what Alexander had to say and I’m glad we signed him.

6th? Some people must be on their 6th treble.

• 33 hibbit // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:03 PM

pawl you quot liverpool having depth yet you advocate only 1 new cb we have had no depth in our back 4 and have not for years 1 injury same problems

• 34 sparky55 // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:03 PM

and a cup run 🙂

• 35 optimistic prime // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:05 PM

Colo is going nowhere unfortunately, he’s just finished having his house remodelled and doubled in size.

• 36 JackButler // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:06 PM

All his girlfriend and kids must be moving in with him;)

• 37 GarageFlower // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:07 PM

I’ve stuck a tenner on a top 6 finish,33-1 the price reflects last season’s form but with two or three more good signings,that could well make a big difference in how the team performs,not to mention the new manager hopefully gettting the best out of the current players.

• 38 hibbit // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:08 PM

op that’s only to sell it …….he will go the first chance he gets

• 39 Jail for Ashley // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:08 PM

Nothing worse than somebody quoting extremes to get their point across. Signing Hazard is not a possibility, signing another CB while letting Collocini go on a free is !

• 40 dok - the horrid colonial // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:09 PM

no way spurs are top six, id bet my liver on that.. for a day..

• 41 tequilamag // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:10 PM

JB we were linked with over 100 players before we signed 2. In an ideal world and we got offers for them then absolutely we would need an extra CH in but I just don`t think they are that attractive to buyers. Even if we could get rid we would get peanuts. I think MA will have a limit on what he spends. For me a LB of the same standard as Janmaat is more important than another CH,

• 42 JamesToon // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:11 PM

I personally don’t know why people want us to sign a backup right back, we’ve got one of our own JAMIE STERRY!!!! He may not be proven, but we need to start developing our own players as well, if we want to be like the “southampton model” then thats what we need to start doing!

• 43 lukes26 // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:11 PM

Colo’s on 60k a week. If he were loaned, we’d be paying him a vast amount to play elsewhere. He’s 33, but still a better defender than Lescalles and Taylor

Mcclaren will never bring in two new CBs to start the year. It’s too risky. It takes time for defenses to mesh as a unit.

• 44 JackButler // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:11 PM

Let’s not get carried away, top 6 is way out of our reach, we have to go some to get 8th while the top six will be in a league of their own as they have been spending tens of millions in just about every single window while we, well……………….!

• 45 nut meg // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:12 PM

We are heavily linked with Mbember so if we can match him up with Abdennour it could be a good balanced CB pairing ,one left footed the other right footed.At the minute we haven’t signed any CBs so I might be asking too much but they could just be the two to give us the foundations to build on. Pace & power at the back & goal threats at the other end, that would be the spine of the team taken care of imho & the sooner the better.

• 46 JamesToon // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:12 PM

Abdennour – £14m
    Mbemba – £7m
    Shaqiri – £11.5m
    Berahino – £16m

Business done.

• 47 JamesToon // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:14 PM

this season we should be focused on trying to establish ourselves as a top 8 club, implementing the playing philosophy of high press and possession right to the grassroots, so that we can eventually start to produce players of our own, and improve current players and their sell on value

• 48 hibbit // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:15 PM

teq one thing we all agree on jamaat is good we don’t have another 3 to match him across the back and there lies the problem

• 49 tequilamag // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:17 PM

James Toon you are really Jamie Sterry. Own up

• 50 JackButler // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:19 PM

Boro were quoted two million for Willo, not bad if it does happen. How anyone can look at our CH without horror is beyond me. haidara and Dummett cover left back well enough, while Janmmat does need covering the central two need replacing before anything else as sticking with Colo and Willomwill be one step forward and two steps back

• 51 hibbit // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:19 PM

james toon if we dont sort the back 4 out we will be lucky to finish in the top 10

• 52 sparky55 // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:19 PM

hibbit…therein lies the biggest problem we need to overcome more than anything else

• 53 optimistic prime // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:21 PM

Funny you should say that

I thought that but I’m not sure, the work he had done cost more than the house and it would take a age to flog on.
    I don’t think he’d get his money back, it looks more like a long term investment, like he’s staying put.

• 54 2_goal_tino // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:21 PM

I believe Colo with a capable player by his side is still worth having. He can still read play very well but has lost a lot of the little pace he was ever blessed with. A quick and young centre-back who does the running and dogs work with Colo doing the marshalling may actually work. The guys had to spend the last 3 years playing alongside Williamson and, as such, has had to try and do the work of two players all by himself.

This is why I think one starting CB is enough coupled with a number of defenders as competition and back-up. The issue with saying one starting CB is of course that we all thought Mbiwa would be that guy but for whatever reason it just didn’t work out!!! Mbemba, Matip and Abdennour all have lesser reputations than Mbiwa when he signed and could just as easily flop.

If we sign one of the above I think we should be looking at premiership-experienced, cheap, older players. I’m talking the likes of Huth, Hangelaand, Dawson, Olsson, James Collins etc. Obviously a lot of these guys are too old now but these sort of guys who are good, reliable players but won’t command too much of a fee.

• 55 sparky55 // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:21 PM

we bave a good head coach in maclaren, we have a good coaching set up, a good midfield, and a promising forward line…the one thing we really are lacking is a good defence with Jamaat of course being the only exception

• 56 tequilamag // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:22 PM

Hibbit, it`s one of those everyone is right discussions really. Colo Willo and Taylor need moved on and we need replacements and upgrades Just priorities as to who needs replaced first and how quickly it should/is likely to happen.
    I Hope we are all happy in Sep with 2 new FBs 2 new 3 new CHs including Lascelles and the above 3 moved on. Unlikely to be that way though

• 57 Jail for Ashley // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:24 PM

Specialist RB cover is priority for me over a better LB.

• 58 2_goal_tino // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:26 PM

How about this… why don’t we just sign this Italian lad called Santon? Heard he loves the toon too!!! Cover at RB and better than Haidara and Dummett at LB.

• 59 tequilamag // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:28 PM

JB £2 mill for Willo. Not sure who reported that but the story never exactly took off. Seems high and most transfer stories are nonsense.Obviously I have no idea what the truth of that is. How much had Boro offered ?

• 60 tequilamag // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:31 PM

Jail. I can see why people would have that as a priority.
    Ideally you want your cover to be of a good standard but I want my first choice LB to first choice standard. Neither Haidara nor Dummet cut it for me as starters

• 61 lukes26 // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:32 PM

Haidara > Santon

The main priority of LB is defend, Santon is crap at that part of the game

• 62 JackButler // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:32 PM

They enquired about him and we quoted two million by all accounts, maybe media BS but people on here saying that there is and would be no one interested in either Willo or Colo and I think both could be moved on, not for much given their age and ability but they would easily be moved on and replaced, especially if we can shell out twenty five million on a midfielder and striker when two quality CH can have a massive impact on us.

• 63 funkness // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:34 PM

I think that it made sense for the new staff not to get rid of any players before having actually worked with them and seen them in action.
    Of course we would all have loved to see Williamson, Goufrann and Obertan shipped out, but in all fairness just like getting the right ones in, as SM put it, it is equally important to get the right ones out. Just like doing a Dennis Wise when scouting players you might wanna sign doesn’t make much sense, selling them on that basis doesn’t either. Making signings early in the summer really only works if you have the same coaches as the season before. 2016 could therefor be very different to this summer, I reckon.
    I do believe that the US-tour will have given the coaches an impression of whom they will want to keep and which players are surplus to requirements. I expect quite a few out goings in the coming weeks …

• 64 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:34 PM

We have so many players of would have been stars but I dont really think think they can recap their phone.

Colo, Taylor, Toite, Cabella, De Jong, Janmatt, Anita. Dont know if Steve Black can motivate them. If he does then we have a big squad on our hands. There is also keeping them fit.

• 65 JackButler // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:34 PM

As in the week but do we have anyone in the youth or reserves coming through at right back that could possibly make the step up and back up Janmmat?

• 66 hibbit // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:34 PM

teq…. it was me who put the story on here they never bid just asked and like yourself thought it was to high and never went back

• 67 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:36 PM

Thats a dream

• 68 Offkey // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:37 PM

Imo Haidara is a solid premiership Lb… world beater…..but by no means in the same category as some others in defence…..I still think the lad can develop further as well. Back up right back needed above a lb.

• 69 tequilamag // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:39 PM

Hibbit not sure of your source but what was to stop Boro saying don`t be silly nobody else wants him and you will get nowt in 12 months, here is a Chicken Parmo and 6 Boro Disco biscuits and be grateful for that

• 70 JackButler // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:41 PM

Off key

I agree mate, while Haidara is no world beater but he’s decent enough (despite that stupid red card) think we have bigger issues at the back than left back

• 71 Jail for Ashley // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:46 PM

In an ideal world and not entirely unrealastic, I would like to see a top LB with Haidara covering and a RB in the Haidara mould covering Jaanmat. Get shot of STaylor and Collocini. A brand new CB pairing with Lascelles , Dummet and Willo as cover with Lascelles being bedded into easier games as a sub. Curtis Good and Satka to be sent on loan to championship clubs, if they can’t find one then they’re not good enough to be considered as back up for our first team.

• 72 hibbit // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:46 PM

teq a good friend who played for years ago and now works at rockliffe i dont know the answer to that i only put on here the bit of information i had

• 73 Belfast // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:46 PM

I think Benjamin Button aka Anderlecht Centre back is going to have problems getting a work permit.

He needs to convince them he’s actually 20 for a start.

• 74 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:53 PM

Abdennour is the signing that will sweep us off our feet.

This guy single handedly can take us to the Champions league.

• 75 Offkey // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:53 PM

I think this year will see the full backs given more license to push up. More overlaps and more crosses, seen some decent (and not so decent) crosses from Haidara, but certainly enough to give me hope of him supplying a few goals this season.

Now this may expose Haidara’s weaknesses or see him flourish….either way we can evaluate lb in either January (if urgent) or at the end of the season. 2 Cb’s, back up right back are what is urgent to me.

• 76 Jail for Ashley // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:54 PM

Won’t it be nice to enjoy watching us play again.

• 77 nightfa11 // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:56 PM

reading older posts (& new ones)..

many of you would sign a 10 mio forward who is worse than play instead of perez.. seriously people.. perez is quality..the most skullful player we have and has a great work rate and knows how to score.. he’ll be as good as aguero..soon.. but many of you would bench him, cos..? i dont know why? he was cheap? explain..please.. give us 1 good reason..

• 78 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:58 PM

With Mcclaren at helm and that little kidd Ian Cathro. We r going for big things. Mcclaren is a sucessful coach.

• 79 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 21, 2015 at 5:59 PM

I honestly can’t believe the lack of confidence ppl in this blog have in our team. I will admit top six will be alot to ask, but pardew has done it b4. Look at these players for replacement compared to the 2012 team

Hba – wijnaldum
    Cabaye – de jong
    Ba – mitrovic

To add to it we had players like Guti, Perch & Rtaylor playin regular every week back in 2012. The argument over how can be finish high in the league when we were nearly relegated last season, that’s cause we had the worst manager in the league kiddin on he’s the best. Who was publicly throwing players under the bus, no player had any desire to play for him. That’s when we went crashing down.

When pardew left, we were either 9th or 10th, can’t remember which one. Thats with a half decent but boring manager, who’s only strength was his mental ability to handle pressure. Tactically was clueless & rather than have players improving, he had them pardewed. Stopped developing. But he can still get us top ten. We are not a relegation team, we are a top ten team strengthing for a top eight.

All we need is sort the central defence. It’s a mess. Last year dummet made colo look a better player, a couple of quality defenders in, colo & s.taylor will raise there game. Get rid of willo.

Up front we should be ok with Mitrovic, cisse, perez, Riviere & armstrong.

• 80 hibbit // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:00 PM

nightfa 11 perez is going to get game time just not as much he needs not burhing out time

• 81 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Perez looked every time he played but there is wen he failed to carry the team like the weight was too much. I think he will flourish in a good team. Its either him or Aarons that will start on LM.

• 82 ShirebrookToon // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Abdennour and shaqiri next pretty please Mike!!

• 83 hibbit // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:05 PM

i dont know what went wrong with that post but that’s not what i wrote

• 84 nightfa11 // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:05 PM

i agree

we always had a good core but a clueless manager & williamson..

now hopefully we dont anymore..and by adding few top players..top6 shouldnt be a surprise..

• 85 Sazzer // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:05 PM

Jail for Ashley
    Ideal world doesn’t go together with keeping Willo mate.

• 86 nightfa11 // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:07 PM

will die for the toon army

perez is class.. for a kid to come to EPL and play as a lone striker and was a match to every defender..also scored some amazing goals.. the guy is the next aguero..even better cos hes taller.. 2,3 good seasons and hes off to real or barca for 60 mio..

• 87 Wayayman // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:09 PM

RSC Anderlecht @rsc_anderlecht on Twitter “Done deal: Mbemba is rond met Newcastle en Anderlecht is blij

• 88 Bri // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:11 PM

We’ve bought 2 players and some on here are claiming we are potentially a top 6 side,come off it.
    We need at least another 4 quality signings to even consider it.

• 89 tequilamag // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:12 PM

nightfall re Perez, he was a bright spot in a bad season mainly because it was an unexpected surprise. For me the reason he does not start is he does not score enough yet. 7 goals in 30 plus games is a Sholaesque strike rate.
    He will get better but he is not above Cisse yet for me never mind Mitrovic.

• 90 nightfa11 // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:13 PM

you’re forgetting we dont have pardew and carver anymore.. thats the biggest plus.. now we can actually see how good our players really are (except for williamson..hes crap)

• 91 nightfa11 // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:16 PM

true, but he contributes so muhc more to our game than pappis.. hes always running..making clever passes, can score, putting pressure on their back 4.. cisse is not capable of that..wonder strikes..thats it..and when hes not in form hes a waste of space.. no way cisse is better.. and the jury is still out on mitro.. i’m sure he will do great..but will need a few months to get there…ATM perez is our best striker..

• 92 Wayayman // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:17 PM

The biggest difference from last season is Cathro I think. Reading about him, he’s very well respected and ambitious. I watched a training session he put on last week and it was very good. Schteve is apparently a very good man-manager too, and seems like a genuine bloke without any sense of ego while remaining confident and assured. Chalk and cheese from what we’ve had for donkey’s years.

• 93 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:18 PM

No one is saying we r becoming a Top 6 team. We need more additions. In my view if we get
    Austin, Mitrovic, Wijnaldum, Mbemba and Abdennour.

Be able to keep Cisse, Tiote, Colo, Taylor and recap their form. We will b a top 6 team.

• 94 Belfast // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:18 PM

Pardew and Carver can’t take the blame for everything like. The players weren’t good enough either.

• 95 sparky55 // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:20 PM

No more neck strains for our midfielders and strikers…the ball will be played on the ground and we will do much much better this year.

…just need those CB’s and it looks like we’ll have one of them on Thursday…happy days! 🙂

• 96 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:20 PM

Cisse is our best striker.

• 97 Moonraker15 // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:20 PM

you improve it by employing a decent coaching team and a couple of defenders on top of the two great signings we already have. Carver was a joke, but so was Pardew. I think we all know what’s gonna happen to Palace next season under Pardew. Bottom half at best! I think you will see great improvement in Sissoko, Tiote, Haidara, Anita, Ayoze and others,plus we have Aarons and de Jong. My god I’m getting excited but it’s mainly because of the coaching team and how they will lift the players!

• 98 doofa the loofa // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:22 PM

Mike Ashley in.. sit back and watch a genious build a top 4 side for approx 150m.. neggers stew.. Its just business, dont take it personally..

• 99 tequilamag // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:23 PM

nightfa11 to be honest I don`t think he does contribute much else.Not a single assist last season for Perez. He is pretty single minded when he gets the ball. I see him as a replacement for Cisse. Whether that happens this season or not is up to how well he performs when he gets a chance.
    I don`t think what he did last season is a strong enough case to make him an automatic starter ahead od Mitrovic or Cisse.
    I used to think his best position would be as a number 10 but for the reasons mentioned above he is a striker or nothing. He would be wasted in a wing or wing forward position

• 100 sparky55 // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:23 PM

can’t see how Cisse and Mitrovic can play in the same team…I reckon Cisse will be off at the very end of the window after he realises he won’t be getting as much game time as he would like.

I think Perez would be better alongside Mitrovic and SDJ just behind them with Aarons providing the width

• 101 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:28 PM

For me I think we lacked leadership. From Top. There were too many changes in a short time.

Derek to Kinnear to Charnely. Thats jst after relegation. Pardew lost his way when Derek left.

Cpt. Colo looked e right choice wen we finished 5th but after that season he fell off e radar.

The signings have been coming from the Top that I dont blame them not e best but ones that can keep us in Top 10.

• 102 geordie157 // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:28 PM

Mbemba, abdennour, shaqiri sorted.
    If we sell cisse get Austin.
    Would also sign the Barnsley lad holgate,loan him back with option to recall.

• 103 carl // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:28 PM

Your right, no magic wand. We struggled to score goals but leaked and shipped goals at an alarming rate particularly under Carver. As things stand defensively nothing has changed. We do have homegrown prospects and Dummett looks as if he might become a regular . I see Taylor’s return as unlikely to improve matters.
    I sense that Mac has played a master minding role so far and would hope he can secure players to fit players into his tactical thinking.
    We really do need Two defenders on the pace and there is a correlation between transfer spending and the required quality.
    At this level any opposing coach can easily target our obvious-defensive weaknesses. That’s why we became increasingly so poor at home as the season progressed.

• 104 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:34 PM

We shld keep Cisse

• 105 sparky55 // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:37 PM

if a club from the middle east comes in and offers circa 7 million for Cisse then we’d be mad to keep him…i just don’t see how mitrovic and Cisse can play together

• 106 Belfast // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:38 PM

Yeah better coaching staff than the usual for sure but still the same bunch of pussys in the squad who down tools at the first sign of trouble.

I didn’t like Pardew or Carver but they can’t be blamed on everything.

Also these top 6/8 predictions hinge on these signings being great and hitting the ground running but as we seen last season with Cabella it doesn’t always work out like that.

I would like to see a Ryan Shawcross/Ashley Williams type signing in the back four personally. Proper leader with plenty of experience.

• 107 mickalfas // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:40 PM

With the squad atm ,even with the 2new signings,top 6, get real people
    No wonder the national press think we’re deluded

• 108 carl // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:43 PM

We could do with some wheeling and dealing to shed those that are just not good enough . We’re not looking to compete at the top but could markedly improve our standing by buying a couple of strong defenders with pace.
    Ashley won’t allow Mc C to have the usual new manager clear out without a financial return or a long term investment with potential sale value. Not a bench warmer . Some things won’t have changed.
    Really not sure just what influence Carr is likely to have going forward. McC seems to have a good understanding of European market and is there a switch from French bias.

• 109 carl // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:45 PM

Shawcross is a thug which is just what we need!

• 110 tequilamag // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:46 PM

Sparky who says they will play together?
    Every game in pre season has been a 4231. One will be on the bench and we still need cover for injuries. No point in selling Cisse unless they buy another striker then it will be I dont see Mitrovic and that striker playing together

• 111 Thump // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:47 PM

@wayayman: As an fyi, @rsc_anderlecht is not the official twitter for the club. The real one doesn’t have the underscore.

• 112 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:50 PM

Ryan Shawcross/Ashely Williams.

If Carr is able to pull off the Aymen Abdennour deal. That guy is a hard defender better that those two. Mbemba and Abdennour will be a dream pairing. Both fast and beasts. Good in e air. Scoring centre backs with De Jongs corners

• 113 John Tudor // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:54 PM

jimmy krankie is a better centre half than willo

• 114 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:56 PM

Yes. He is Fandabbydozy

Whereas Willo is just Dozy.

• 115 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 6:57 PM

Charnely dont forget to sort out Aarons and Kemen. Big Clubs are sniffing our hard work.

• 116 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:02 PM

Looks like Kemen is off to AC Milan

• 117 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:04 PM

Thinking about Kemen, and all the typos i do on this phone due to letters being very close together, i am so glad the ‘K’ is not next to ‘S’.

• 118 IrishGeordie1 // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:05 PM

Although CBs would need to be our next priority, does anyone if has Shaqiri signed for anyone? We could do with another creative winger to provide for our strikers as our crosses etc were so poor last year. If he hasn’t been snapped up a cheeky £12 million bid surely wouldn’t be a bad move!

• 119 Levi // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:05 PM

I think we need a top class centre back. if at the start of the season some one offered you wijnaldum, mitrovic, a top centre back and no one sold. I would of bit their hand off

• 120 the white tino // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:08 PM

Anyone know if mitrovich is new number 9??

• 121 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:09 PM

The problem we have with Kemen now if other teams are sniffing about is we either have to play him or give him a really good contract before he has done anything same with Aarons !

• 122 King Colback // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:10 PM

Anyone heard of Jean-Paul Boetius

• 123 Jib // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:10 PM

Nicola Sturgeon is a better centre half than Jimmy Krankie

• 124 Rotonda heights // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:12 PM

we have to get kemen involved asap. with the right coaching he, aarons, perez and abeid could be a bit special.

• 125 Jib // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:14 PM

Bog standard number 11
    Koeman started his career so he’ll go to Soton if anywhere

• 126 Rotonda heights // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:14 PM

wouldn’t mind any of willo, saylor, colo, obertan and goofy being sold

• 127 Offkey // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:19 PM

JFA – I not only look forward to us playing but also the fact I can get (or at least feel) a tad bit involved with the club again. The last few years has led me to feel nothing but apathy towards the club, but that has changed……for the moment at least.

Someone mentioned earlier that they didn’t post as much because of the negativity, well i didn’t because of the apathy………..and when I did it was only to let out some of the negative feelings that led me to feel that way. If the club changes the fan base will also, and if at some point in the near future we can watch SJP loud again…….our fortunes can only look up.

To be fair, it will just be enjoyable to have a discussion on who should be playing and where rather than just…….shall we have abeid or tiote in mf

• 128 Jail for Ashley // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:20 PM

It all depends how Mclaren will set up as to whether two powerful forwards can play together, to be honest though Cisse scored a good few from the bench and there’s nothing to say Mitrovich will hit the ground running so I think we should keep on to Cisse for the time being. I think a Perez/Mitrovich pairing sounds very good with Cisse chomping at the bit for game time.

• 129 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:23 PM

Jean-Paul Boetius. Never heard of him. There will trust Carr’s judgement.

Carr pliz I request you bring Abdennour to this famous football club.

• 130 WWSBRD // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:25 PM

Can’t wait to see this head case throw elbows and punching walls least it’ll be a laugh

Kemen no one really cares howay reserve player and we can’t develop players from the youth so if he goes he goes

• 131 optimistic prime // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:31 PM

Google fail

• 132 mickalfas // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:33 PM

I’ll be a happy man if Mitrovic turns out to be anywhere near a Shearer
    I think or hope that after a while he’ll be a machine,I love the attitude he gives off
    Keep thinking like a Costa, hope everyone in the opposition hates him, then he’s done good for me
    CB’s in NOW !!

• 133 nightfa11 // Jul 21, 2015 at 7:39 PM

If SM plan to play 4231

Janmaat colo/Taylor Abdennour haidara

Winaljdum Banega? (cant decide among ones we have..all ok, But no real quality)

Berahino sdj/perez aarons/perez

Would be good to have 2 new cbs, But also risky..having cb pairing with no epl experience? Maybe..

Berahino would be perfect (and I never use that Word)..can play as a winger and can also replace mitro in case he gets injured..unlike austin..

previous post: McClaren – Mitrovic Was A Much Sought After Striker in Europe