The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Announce Mitrovic Signing – I’m Happy And Honored

10:05 am, Tuesday, July 21st, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 126 Comments

Newcastle have just announced the signing of Alexander Mitrovic.

🙂 🙂 🙂

mitrovic at newcastle

Alexandar Mitrovic – at St. James’ Park

This is what Newcastle have just released on their web-site.

Newcastle United have completed the signing of striker Aleksandar Mitrovic, subject to the player receiving the appropriate visa.

The 20-year-old Serbian international arrives from Anderlecht and has put pen to paper on a five-year deal at St. James’ Park, which is the fourth biggest transfer in the Club’s history.

Mitrovic came through the ranks at Partizan Belgrade before making his debut for their affiliated side Teleoptik.

The summer of 2012 saw the front man sign his first professional contract with Partizan and he made a goal-scoring bow in a Champions League qualifier against Maltese side Valletta, a competition in which he has gained extensive experience over the past three seasons.

Mitrovic finished the 2012/13 campaign as Partizan’s top scorer, helping his team to the Serbian SuperLiga title.

In August 2013, he moved to Belgium to join Anderlecht and scored 44 goals in 90 appearances across two seasons at the Constant Vanden Stock Stadium.

Mitrovic’s performances for Serbia in the 2013 UEFA Under-19 Championships inspired his country to victory and earned him the Player of the Tournament award. The forward has now earned thirteen senior caps for his country.

Speaking of his arrival on Tyneside,

“I am so happy to have signed for Newcastle.” “I visited the stadium and it is amazing.”

“I have played in a lot of impressive stadiums in my career but St. James’ Park is so big, I can’t wait to play my first game here.”

“I know how passionate the fans are. This is a club with a very big history and the fans are a big part of that. There will be pressure here, for sure, but I like pressure.”

“I also know about the famous players who have played for Newcastle United, like Alan Shearer, who is a hero of mine. I hope I can play like him for this Club.”

“It will be an honor.”

Newcastle United head coach Steve McClaren added:

“This is a fantastic signing for us. We have fought off a lot of competition to secure a top young talent in Europe.”

“Aleksandar is someone who can develop with the team and someone who will help us to get to where we want to go.”

“As a Board we have worked hard to make it happen. It is another demonstration that we are wanting to push on.”

Those are great words from the new arrival and this is truly a fantastic signing or Newcastle United Football club.

alaksandar mitrovic at newcastle

Aleksandar Mitrovic in the Newcastle dressing room

Managing Director Lee Charnley is the lead on the transfers, and does all the spade work –  he deserves credit for getting this one over the line.

Incredible acquisition for Newcastle.

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

126 responses so far ↓

• 1 pawl250 // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:06 AM

JFA out!

• 2 richyg01 // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:08 AM

Bout Time.

Now we need to look at the Center Back situation.

Does this mean the ‘For Sale’ sign just got nailed to Cisse’s arse?

• 3 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:10 AM

So, everyone who has been complaining for 8 years and still (rightly) does not trust Ashley is now an imbicile, whereas those who have been correct ONCE over that time should bow be worshipped? Ok, got it.

• 4 StevoNorthShields // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Get in!! I might stop calling Ashley a fat cockney ar*eho€e at this rate…… I’ll drop the cockney bit and just call him the other two!! Haha HTL

• 5 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Bow = now*

• 6 croftus5678 // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:10 AM

come on chancel mbemba roll on good times.

abdennour after that then its only a winger for the no weak link team

• 7 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Who is this “mitroviquestionmark”, Ed?

• 8 lesh // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:12 AM

• 9 TheToonKing // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:13 AM

there we go ! Get in !

• 10 TheToonKing // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:14 AM

massive coup for us.

Both him and Wijnaldum are really impressive deals for us to be honest. These are world class players.

• 11 hibbit // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:14 AM

crofts that would be great but we still need cover around the the pitch FBs spring to mind

• 12 lesh // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:14 AM

Will Chancel Mbembma come to be known as Chancer?

• 13 richyg01 // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:15 AM

Wonder what number he is printing on his shirt in the pic on SSN?

• 14 JDdubai // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:15 AM

mbemba, abdennour, shaqiri in

Colo, Willo, gouffran out.

Job done.

• 15 Graeme // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:15 AM

Well, thats two decent players “Over the Line” so it looks like Penfold has found it and worked out how to get over it – always a good start.

The chronic shortage of quality at CB is still there and a LB is still wanted to replace Santon.

Its a good start in addressing the failures of the past 6 years, but we are by no means a strong squad fit to compete in the Top 8 and challange for the Domestic Cups.

Keep up the good work Penfold, progress is being made but you are a long way from redemption yet!!!

• 16 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:16 AM

They made him print his own shirt?? The cheap barstewards!! 😀

• 17 Jail for Ashley // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Magpie season,
    Enraptured ! Excellent word !

• 18 Jail for Ashley // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:17 AM

In your face JfA, we’ve signed somebody !

• 19 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Next shld be Mbemba, Adbennour and Thauvin (I now believe we need a winger).

• 20 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:19 AM

Yeah, JFA

How could you doubt NUFC. You imbicilic neggar,you!

• 21 richyg01 // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:19 AM

Yes, we do need a decent crosser, Mit needs service, he thrives off (decent) crosses.

• 22 John Tudor // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:20 AM

arsehole lickers

• 23 EllaGuru // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:21 AM

If we can get one top CB in, I would rate this as our best transfer window in a long time! I agree with posters here that we need someone to provide Mitrovic some service from out wide, but right now focus has got to be on tightening up what is a dismal defence!
    Happy day today!

• 24 Jib // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:21 AM

I like this foto

• 25 richyg01 // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Does he pronounce his name Mit-Rich in the Twitter Video??

• 26 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:22 AM

They said we r going British. I think we r still Continental.

• 27 nut meg // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:23 AM

That would be a pretty impressive spine to the team,BUT it would only be a beginning !

• 28 richyg01 // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Great article:

• 29 ilovetoon8788 // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Excellent news. Mourinho once tipped him to be a future superstar.

Now for a quality centre!

• 30 WWSBRD // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:26 AM

JfA IN

Marginally impressed with this, Austin next up top? Couple defenders, RB cover if not Mbemba, out and out winger would be nice

Might be a top 10 finish this season wahooooo

• 31 Reyantoon // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:28 AM

Wooooohooooo… last!

• 32 Rotonda heights // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:29 AM

mourinho said that about santon, hope we have better luck with mitro

• 33 paul6257 // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:31 AM

finally… now lets just hope he can get a work permit

• 34 pawl250 // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:31 AM

Need to get a real decent centre back and a young rb.

5.YOUNG RB
    6.NEW CB (Mbemba?)

20.De Jong

Just let Ferguson, Marveaux and Vuckic go out on loan or end their contracts.

Janmaat/New rb – Mbemba/STaylor – Coloccini/Lascelles – Haidara/Dummett

Wijnaldum/Anita – Tiote/Colback

Sissoko/Obertan – De Jong/Perez – Aarons/Cabella

Much stronger than last season, especially in depth!

Me personally I would sell a centre back and bring in two centre backs. I would sell Cisse and bring in Austin/Hernandez and I would bring in a natural winger who can cross. But I cannot argue with our current window.

• 35 Slank // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:31 AM

richyg01 @ 28

‘..Great article..’

Almost certain to be sent off against the great unwashed.

• 36 expatmag // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:31 AM

Your favourite blog is 12 miles south of the Tyne, mate

• 37 Laurent Robert 32 // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:32 AM

Great that we’ve signed him, but there’s a lot more signings like that needed to match the ones we’ve let go. Only after then can we it be seen as improving.

If players are sold after signing these, then that is also a waste of time.

Multiple steps back, two forward. A lot more to go or it’s like we’ve been running on a treadmill trying to get to the shops. A pointless exercise.

• 38 hibbit // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:32 AM

calm down guys thats only 2 signings 2 good signings i agree but only 2 we need more just to stand still

• 39 JDdubai // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:32 AM

Abdennour and Mbemba In, offer Colo to Pards for free, send Willo on loan to Rangers for nowt just to get rid of him. Both out of contract next summer thank god.

Would love this surprise to be Shaqiri, think we still need quality out wide, when/if Aarons gets injured who will replace him? Gouffran? Obertan? cabella is already injured.

Would like to see Abeid get some gametime this summer, think he has shown enough promise to get a contract extension, more than Sammy has done anyway.

• 40 catchy in norway // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:33 AM

and here is me thinking we wouldnt get good coachs or players to come,

• 41 richyg01 // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:33 AM

Slank @ 35

It would make a difference to see some passion back in that game from us like!!

• 42 Jail for Ashley // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:34 AM

I know this blog well enough to see what’s coming next. There is going to be a torrent of posters such as bills son, pawl 90210 , Boy Done Good etc, we might even see a return of Low full meg. Now before you all start crowing about how you were all right just have a think about what forced the far man on to his first live interview. Thousands of people like me who donated funds, attended protests and stopped giving him our money. To say he doesn’t care what we think has proved to be nonsense, that feelings that have built up showed that he had pushed the most loyal set of fans toward breaking point with his callous mismanagement of their club. Had action not been taken it is very likely we would have comfortably finished tenth and Pardew and Carver would have been leading us into another season of more of the same.

• 43 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:34 AM

I think we need a winger.
    Mbemba, Abdennour

Thats a good window but that looks like £65m. How will we balance books?
    Sissoko……………De Jong…………….Thauvin

That is a Top 8 Club.

• 44 hibbit // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:35 AM

pawl 1 new CB is not enough we need 2 cb now

• 45 goalie gaz // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:35 AM

Good to see Mits prolonged transfer finally completed, two good signings in the bag.

I have a few concerns over Chancel Mbemba’s lack of height, could be a worry in the prem, much rather see Abdennour in the team along with a return to the toon for Jose who is no longer needed at Liverpool.

• 46 richyg01 // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:37 AM

2 players in 10 days…

Whos next?

• 47 richyg01 // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:39 AM

goalie gaz @ 45

Good call on Jose, I would completely agree with you on that one. He could also provide cover for Arrons on the LW when he gets injured

• 48 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:40 AM

I dont think I wld rush Cisse. He has 2 years on his contract and he is banging them in so I wld keep him as back up. You know strikers dont come cheap. As I save money for a good striker while a waiting on Perez and Arma.

Its Colo and Willo am willing to ship out.

• 49 TheToonKing // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:41 AM

I’m really happy about this signing.

I think Mitrogoal can be a real star.

He’s really young, has tremendous potential, but already more then enough skill to play at this level.

He’s also a lifelong NUFC supporter and wants to be here. I think the main factors why we managed to land him is upfront policy of Ashley and 2.he wanted to come.

He’s also a polarizing personality. Which can be bad sometimes ( ) , but he’s a passionate guy, I think we’ll love him.

Can’t wait to see him play !

• 50 hibbit // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:42 AM

and TAYLOR

• 51 jayphoto // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Ok Newcastle, you got the manager I wanted, the assistant (cathro) I wanted, now the striker I wanted aswell as a player (wjinaldum) that was beyond my hopes (considered him a ‘kets target’. They also look like getting a top centreback in Mbemba.
    On top of this, the list of champions league clubs that need midfielders is dropping by the day looking like we’ll be keeping Sissoko….
    So whats the catch..
    Bit wary it’s only July, they’ve still got 6 weeks to fcuk us all off..

• 52 pawl250 // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:42 AM

I agree, hence me saying I would bring in 2 and sell Williamson if I had my choice.

BUT if Mbemba comes in, we have alot of centre backs and no cover for right back. I think that is more important.

If Mbemba is as good as people say he should do what Woodgate did to players like Andy Obrien and Bramble and make them look solid. If he doesn’t or cannot then we should be looking elsewhere.

I think Coloccini is good for atleast 1 season, with STaylor, Good and Lascelles as back up then Williamson we do have more depth, even Dummett.

We do not have anyone other than Anita to fill the right back role if Janmatt were to get banned or injured.

Think some people ask too much, we are having a very strong window at this moment in time. Could do with a few more faces and it will be one of our best.

Mitrovic is unproven, personally I would have went with Austin. BUT Wijnaldum is someone I have asked for all year!!!

De Jong will actually be like a new signing, likewise Aarons. Keeping the team fit will be key. I also think Sissoko is better out wide, or he certainly was when Pardew was here creating the highest number of key chances 2 seasons ago under Suarez alone. Cannot say that is a bad stat for playing out wide when looking at him last season.

• 53 Slank // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:43 AM

richyg01 @ 41

Scores then headbuts Cattermole.

Hero overnight.

• 54 pawl250 // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Cisse is a poacher, he offers very little. You could sell him for approx 7-8m this year, he is always injured or banned and if not them away to AFCN.

I would easily get the money in and go for Austin, or a cheaper alternative in a very similar mold to Cisse, Man Utds Hernandez who is supposedly available for approx 9m.

Mitrovic, Hernandez, Perez, Riviere and Armstrong looks a much younger potent line up. If only I could get rid of Riviere!!!!

• 55 jayphoto // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:46 AM

@GoalieGaz – wouldn’t worry about Mbembas height, he leaps like a salmon! Really got a huge spring on him!
    Despite Willo being 6’4 I’d bet money that Mbemba gets up higher than him!
    Very quick but also very physically strong too.
    If we can bring in Mbemba, Abdennour and Thauvin we’d have a side on paper, talent wise that should be aiming for top 4 not top 8!
    I’d rather see us keep Cisse for a year and sign Abdennour than go and sign Austin!

• 56 sing in the corner // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:46 AM

Yeah I was supressing something nagging at the back of my mind which was whispering ‘I hope we don’t get a double digit offer for Perez…. God forbid under any circumstances.
    Or even Cisse’….unless Austin comes in the other way

• 57 TudorCrisps // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:47 AM

He’s only slightly smaller than collo he’s 1.82m collo is 1.84 saylor is 1.86 your not talking great deals of height plus I hear he jumps like a basketball player and would give usuain bolt a run for his money.

• 58 jayphoto // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:47 AM

@Pawl – If we sign Mbemba he is a very very decent rightback cover. He’s quick enough to play there.
    Aren’t we in for a Barnsley young right back?

• 59 KevinLee // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:47 AM

mbemba, abdennour IN, don’t buy Austin, Transfer window Done

• 60 John Tudor // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:48 AM

epat stick urself on the barbie i think you will find i bleed black and white not like you fleeing the mother country for the soft life

• 61 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:48 AM

There is also going for Austin. Keep Cisse, Austin, Mitrovic, De Jong and make Perez a Winger and forget abt Thauvin.

RM: Sissoko, Perez, Obertan
    LM: Aarons, Cabella, Goufrann.
    F: Mitrovic, Austin, De Jong, Cisse, Rivere, Arma.

• 62 Toon_Tom // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:48 AM

jayphoto @ 55

“leaps like a salmon”

quote of the day so far fella 🙂

• 63 mickalfas // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Great signing!!
    Let’s see who leaves just before the window shuts
    Keep the decent players, ship out the shite ,we all know who they are,happy days
    I’m hoping they give Abeid a chance ,this year
    CB’s in now,priority !!
    Penfold done good ,keep it up
    The last line was hard to say!!

• 64 Thump // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Ashley seems to be true to his word. Wijnaldum, Mitro, hopefully Mbemba (failing that, Nkoulou?) and another wideman, and we should be looking at a good season.

• 65 lochinvar // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Headbutts Cattermole as he scores and then Cattermole gets sent off for mouthing off to the ref!

• 66 John Tudor // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:49 AM

there are no blogs 12 mile south of me d.s. so button it

• 67 hibbit // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:49 AM

pawl good and taylor have to many injuries colo wants away boro want willo ……..the CB have been a problem for years now is the time to sort it we need 2 new quality cb now

• 68 ilovetoon8788 // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Mbemba must be signed. Heard he’s a beast of a defender. Doesn’t matter his height. If he has 1/4 of cannovaro (himself short) ability, I’d be more than delighted.

• 69 magscar // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:50 AM

I also know the Blog well enough to see that there will be some that moan 2 ain’t enough and that others will take the credit for Ashley’s apparent conversion.

First point correct only if no more in and the second at best is a factor only.

• 70 Jib // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:50 AM

What is this foolishness with Jose Enrique ?
    In 4 years he has played 72 games for Liverpool (mostly cup games ) , he spat in the eye of this club , he is never out of the treatment room , and he is 30 next birthday !!!

• 71 Slank // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:51 AM

pawl250 @ 54

I would think that Austin would be thinking twice about coming to us seeing that we have just bought Mitrovic and haven’t sold Cisse and our likely formation is for a single striker. However, in a one year’s time he will be a free agent and will almost certainly be in greater demand.

• 72 John Tudor // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:51 AM

keep your opinions on my followings to ursel bonny lady

• 73 BoyDoneGood // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:51 AM

Squad reconstruction in June, we have one over the line, and another very close and we are 3 weeks into July. We were always going to have to buy this summer, but there was more reconstruction last summer than this. We still have the gutless backbone of last season, and have failed to ship out much deadwood so far. It has hardly been major surgery to the squad, and we are still woefully short of quality and/or numbers in several positions. The coach we got had turned us down in Jan, and again near the end of the season, it is uncertain whether we would have been able to get him had a Championship club decided he was not up to the task at hand there. Whilst I think McClaren is a very good training ground coach, he has struggled in a managerial capacity more than he has succeeded. I’m not sure there are any grounds for ‘crowing’ in the slightest. This post isn’t meant to be negative, there are certainly some encouraging signs – Cathro being the main one in the back room staff and then Mitrovic and Wijnaldum.”

Don’t hold me to some prediction that all would be achieved by 30th June. June was just shorthand for the summer window.

Back in March someone – actually rather more than one – suggested in the scruffiest terms that I’d be eating my words come the summer; when I replied that on the contrary I’d probably be crowing I did not mean that the squad would necessarily be anything to crow about. The general view was that there would be no net spend, so the kind of restructuring I expected was far from inevitable in anyone else’s opinion here.

However, I disagree – and the new coach seems to agree – that the pre-window players are gutless or useless. I expect the French players to come good with proper coaching (but absolutely agree that believing in the back four is essential for a team to succeed). I think that if Mbemba comes we have a good squad, but you’d have to be Nostradamus to prophesy how good. It really depends on the tactical and motivational difference between the Carver Neanderthals and the new regime.

Also I expect more signings, but with NUFC’s “pound-for-pound” requirement they will continue right up to dealine day = bargain day.

• 74 ilovetoon8788 // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Rumors are that we are not done with Austin and still want him in.

I think that’s not true. Can’t see Ashley buying 2 quality striker in 1 window.

• 75 Blofal // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Mitrovic is an excellent signing but don’t expect him to be starting straight away.

I think the club is going to try and bring in Austin and Mitrovic will play off the bench until he gets up to speed. It might take him a season (often does with the PL). If we don’t get Austin then Cisse will be starting.

Sounds like we have almost got Mbemba over the line and rumours are still abound that Matip is on the cards too. Abdennour would be great but I have a feeling his wage demands might price us out given the finances of other clubs after him.

On top of all that I agree we need a young RB. If Ferguson has a good pre season then we probably won’t bring one in as he and Anita will cover but I think we need better than that.

I also expect we’ll bring in a winger if we can. We are going to spend a lot this season but we can because despite what the dodgy finance figures say… we haven’t spent much on players at all over the last 5 years plus the new TV deal is going to bring in millions.

• 76 lochinvar // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Mitrovic – you know it makes sense.

Is this next super signing we are now targeting Bale ?
    Surely he wants to play for an ambitious team, amazing stadium, incredible fans and with aspirations of Winning the Champions League.
    Doubt he has that now wherever he is.

• 77 Thump // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:54 AM

@pawl250: Agreed. Watching the friendlies, Cisse seems to be on a completely different page to the rest of the team; offering a goal when it suits him, and free kicks to the opposition when he’s inevitably caught offside.

That said, I don’t think it’s any fault of his. He’s playing up front alone and he just isn’t suited to it. He needs a lot of support from those around him and he hasn’t really had it lately. Maybe with Mitro coming in, playing them side by side could give us another option.

• 78 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:54 AM

If we have Mbemba the next signing shld be Abdennour.

• 79 Slank // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:54 AM

ilovetoon8788 @ 68

‘.. Heard he’s a beast of a defender..’

I can’t be a beast as he is already a Salmon !

• 80 Slank // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:55 AM

He can’t !

• 81 jayphoto // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Finding the coverage In National media of Newcastles transfer window pretty shocking! Yesterday on talksport they waxed lyrical for 15 minutes about Stoke signing Glenn Johnson and shay given as the best business outside of the top 6. Hardly any national coverage of Wjinaldum (dutch player of the year ahead of depay) or Mitrovic (huge signing) or the fact we’re about to sign Mbemba. I mean these are big money deals, you think it’d get more coverage

• 82 Slank // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:58 AM

If we get another central defender he shouldn’t be an African as we wouldn’t want him and Chancer away together.

• 83 jayphoto // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:59 AM

@Thump – I too think that Cisse isn’t suited to playing up top on his own! But looking back through his career, Freiburg played a deep 4-5-1 and so did Metz. Technically he’s spent his whole career playing up front on his own he should have got used to it by now

• 84 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 21, 2015 at 10:59 AM

Austin, a CB and full back cover and I may start to believe!

Well done for getting this one done.

• 85 Tsunki // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:00 AM

Boy done good the real problem is your prediction is anything but prophetic. Most of us knew very well that a long term Carver installation was not feasible. Nor was continuing with a relegation bound squad. So what’s the crowing about? The blindingly obvious? Great well done. In the mean time I can only think your bragging is somehow meant to silence those who were vocal about Ashleys incompetent setup, and that you had better insight than all the ‘ nagatives’ all along. I suppose it’s to excuse the band of roll-over-and-hope-for-the-best for their inaction, which if followed by the majority probably would have resulted in Carver trotting out the same sad sack team against Southampton. I’m just waiting for another instalment of ‘Real Fan’ to follow all this up, aren’t I?

• 86 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:01 AM

I wld save all the money and go to Ashely for a loan. To get Abdennour. That guy is class we wld have a Champions league player who we can get 30m from.

• 87 Blofal // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Slank I totally agree.

Matip is in the Cameroon national squad.

Mbemba plays for DR Congo.

Abdennour plays for Tunisa

We haven’t been linked to a CB yet that isn’t going to abandon us for the AFCON!!!

• 88 BandB // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Congratulations to all concerned at the club on two very good signings.
    Let’s see them here long enough to become club legends and not ships that pass in the night.
    We need another two or three players to have serious hopes of having a top eight team. Which will after all, only be right back to where we started.

• 89 Slank // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:03 AM

I agree on the centre back and full back cover but not sure about Austin but wouldn’t be unhappy if he came.

Some on here want a winger but haven’t said why. Personally I don’t think we need another wide man we are reasonably stocked with them.

• 90 nightfa11 // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:04 AM

I think its time we start selling players..Our squad is huge..and so is our wage bill..

• 91 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Its good that Ashely banned Media. It has been quite at NUFC and good the board is delivering in the long run.

• 92 sing in the corner // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:05 AM

People are being very lenient with the Colo situation. I used to rate him more but the fact is he should have been gone at least 2 years ago. His pace has gone, he can’t seem to get off the ground / never wins owt in the air, he’s wanted away for ages. There was a spell when he seemed to read the game well but on last season’s performances that’s gone too.
    Granted he has been partnered by Williamson who has never really been up to PL standard…but even so…
    As for him being captain – thats an insult to the shirt IMO.
    Its the club’s fault, not his, and I don’t like slagging him off. But both he and Williamson need to be out of the starting 11 v Saints if the new start is to be truly new.

• 93 magscar // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Signing of Mitrovic should automatically improve our goals from dead balls even without improved coaching as we finally seem to have someone good in the air.

• 94 Novocastrian66 // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Jay; the national media have an obsession with Mark Hughes. He is one of the groovy gang. Done nowt as a manager but treated as though he is a football genius when actually he is an arrogant prick. Tim Sherwood is another. The football pundits on TV and radio don’t know anything outside their own little village. Personally, I’m happy to sneak under the radar.

• 95 Tsunki // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:06 AM

In other news, happy the signings are slowly ingressing, promising follow up on Ashleys proposed remit for the next season. Keep up the good work Mike!

Ashley Out! Btw.

• 96 Ibizatoon // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:07 AM

nightfa11…Don’t forget wor Mikes heart being huge too!

So much joy in the world, people joining hands, truly beuatiful to behold.

Well done Newcastle. Two decent players over the line. Please don’t let your fans down again, despite everything, many are still right behind you.

• 97 Tsunki // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:08 AM

Novo agreed I hope we can have the advantage of being an unknown quantity and shock the living daylights out if the big boys ha ha

• 98 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:08 AM

We have quantity not quality

• 99 nightfa11 // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:09 AM

The only good winger we have is aarons..and hes a kid..

• 100 Rotonda heights // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:09 AM

however which way we’ve arrived at this you have to enjoy the moment. I freely admit my dislike for pardew but thankfully he left.

I know it is harder for you to let go of your hate for ashley as he is still here, but if someone had told me we would be rid of carver and stone and are now signing some quality players I would never have thought that day would come.

You are right it is a total vindication of boycotts and demos and 2 fingers to all the people who said it wouldn’t work..

• 101 SA Toon // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Fantastic that he is finally over the line. Well done to the Board for hanging in there and beating off the opposition. I reckon there must be a few stories to tell on this one! Two good attacking signings – now let’s sort out the defence.

• 102 BandB // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:10 AM

I don’t think you need to be fretting your head about that.
    Further steps will be taken to rebalance the wage bill, and Ben Arfa Santon, Mbiwa, Raylor, Jonas, Streete, Campbell and Alnwick have all been permanently offloaded since since Christmas.

• 103 Tsunki // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:11 AM

Ah Ibiza I trust you have girded your loins for the onslaught of the ‘toldyouso’ hordes, they’re starting to leech onto the blog to revel in their past prophecies of good times to come. Strangely they decided not to have a lot of input when it didn’t look like it was going to happen as they said it would, but now they’re back! Huzzah!

• 104 Blofal // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:11 AM

Slank I want a winger because we just went a whole season with Aarons and Obertan injured and Sissoko playing in the centre.

Sammy and Cabella weren’t good enough out on the wing. Cabella imo does better centrally.

I agree that on the surface we have Obertan and Aarons on the left which could be ok if they stay fit. Sissoko can now play out on the right which suits him better because Wijnaldum will play centrally. Maybe we can try Perez on the wing too which might teach him to pass the ball for a change..

But I’m still scarred from last season!

• 105 JAMSHA // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:12 AM

mitrovic interview

• 106 jayphoto // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:14 AM

Think Coloccini still has a part to play! Not as captain, but he has the attributes to play well in a possession based side. Worth noting he prefers playing right side CB and has had to play left side with Williamson/Taylor. Needs pace alongside him.
    Williamson is the worst technical footballer I’ve seen at Newcastle. His lack of ability actually impacts on how the whole team play. Not his fault and seems like an honest guy but he’s simply not a Premier League footballer. Think that’ll be shown in his career once he leaves… my bet is 1 year starting for a championship side (leeds, Barnsley, Bolton etc) followed by a year as a sub for said side followed by a drop into league 1 where he’ll probably find his level and go on to notch a 100 games or so for a Burton Albion or a Bradford City and be a bit of a local hero

• 107 nightfa11 // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:15 AM

I wouldnt start playing perez as a winger..Too many players have already been “pardewed”.. Hes class up front..keep him there..

• 108 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:15 AM

Obertan and Gouff need to go. Sissoko can play down the right and Aarons is capable on the left. Don’t think it’s urgent but could deffo do with cover if both of those leave.

Lol did anyone see Sterling fall over?

• 109 magscar // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:16 AM

I will add my congrats.

Only problem I see with more than say 1 CB in at present is the difficulty in shipping some out (not those we fans want to retain). Not just money but what Shepherd use to refer to as “there are only so many pegs in the dressing room”.

On the top 8 point we may just surprise some ala Southampton ( not saying we have made as many signings as they did last season but only in their unexpected impact on PL and so called pundits) if coaches can get more from some players and keep them fit.

Even if we don’t do better than that this is probably what McClaren is driving at in his reference to next 3 windows. More is needed and squad rebalanced

• 110 Jail for Ashley // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:17 AM

My dislike for the fat man is not greater than the love for my football club, if he does the right thing by us let him get on with it.

• 111 jayphoto // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:17 AM

If we end the summer with Wijnaldum, Mitrovic, Mbemba, Austin and Abdennour and no1 (baring maybe cisse and willo leaves) do we like all have take Charnley out for a pint or something?
    Might actually drive up to Bramall lane if Mitrovic is going to be playing! Be good to see the other players , Aarons, de Jong, Gini too with a bit of fitness after USA

• 112 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:17 AM

Can anybody explain the APPROPRIATE VISA????

• 113 Jib // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:19 AM

You are doing it again .

If you say something it must be true.

I’ve read the boydonegood post over about 5 times and there is not a trace of crowing or bragging in it.

• 114 SA Toon // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:20 AM

I’m happy to credit the boycott with its part in all of this, and I think we maybe had to bottom out before we could start to rebuild. I also think we still have some way to go before we will be back to where we need to be, but everything does seem to be moving in the right direction. After all the cr*p we’ve been dished out over the last few seasons, I don’t expect people to suddenly forgive and forget, but I do hope that people will be open minded in their assessment of the coming season. I’m dreaming of a united SJP…

• 115 Blofal // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:21 AM

I too still have nightmares about Pardew having a unique ability to ruin players..

But with Mitrovic, Cisse, Dejong and possibly Austin (if reports are correct that we’re after him too) Perez won’t be getting many starts up front. He played often as an attacking mid for Tenerife.

I wouldn’t be suprised if Armstrong took a step up this year either. He should go out on loan though. When he came on against Sacramento he looked very good albeit against tired and poor opposition.

• 116 nightfa11 // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Why would we sign austin? We dont have wingers to play 442, our squad is most suited for 433..which would mean that either mitro or austin will have to play as r/l forward..and we’ll end up with “Ba” situation again.. We need a forward/winger -berahino type..not austin..

• 117 BandB // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Aarons himself talked about having gammy legs last year.
    Due to that, and the stage his career is at, he can’t be expected to play 38 games. Nor has he yet had time to show he can perform consistently.

• 118 Ibizatoon // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Tsunki…I’m wondering if I lie low long enough and start pasting my predictions from back in 2011 I can fit in an “I told you so”.

Perhaps I can revert to CODARM. He was an optimistic so and so and has been proved right in the end…yeah? Oh wait…nothing has been proved. Best keep my powder dry then…

Sarcasm aside, it does appear that some positive steps are being made. I’m glad that so many are able to really really enjoy the moment. I can’t bring myself to start gushing with excitement quite yet. I remain hopeful as always.

There are no losers if this is legit. We all want the same thing (more or less), just diagreed how and if we were heading there at all.

It would seem the new debate is whether those who opposed the regime had any impact on this potential turn of events. Seems an odd argument to pick up by people who preach that they just want to enjoy the moment. Why don’t they do just that.

• 119 Slank // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:24 AM

Blofal @ 104

I suspect that McClaren will play Aarons and Sissoko on the wings as first choice with Perez the automatic cover.

Like you I have always thought that Cabella would be better playing centrally but that looks very congested at the moment. If given the right coaching and support I have also thought that Marveaux would be good centrally but again there are too many better players there.

With regards to Goofy and Obertan I don’t see them in McClaren’s plans.

• 120 bills-son // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:26 AM

Two good signings, but …

We still need to sign a couple of fist shakers and shouters who really get stuck into the oppo AND get stuck verbally into any of our own players who are slacking during a match.

Our midfield is powder puff compared to the top six and even the bottom six often muscle and elbow us out of a game – especially away.

Tiote is the only truly physical player we have in the squad but he is as quiet as a mouse on the pitch.

Teams that dominate the midfield protect the back four and are hard to beat. Our midfield has been as much to blame for the shocking goals against as our defenders.

Selling Tiote would be a massive loss and seriously weaken the squad unless he is replaced – preferably with two strong DM’s.

• 121 magscar // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:28 AM

As a self proclaimed stoic ( neither hating or supporting Ashley) I can venture why certain posters perhaps did not post on the Blog in the especially dark days of Carver’s tenure. Swimming against a spring tide is exhausting and begins to feel pointless. Best to wait for the summer when “SAD” times are over. If you can’t be optimistic in the summer months then either you or your club ( worse still both!) are in real trouble. Glad wasn’t born in Blackpool.

• 122 Ibizatoon // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:29 AM

Bills…Agreed. We have desperately missed vocal leaders the past while. Really since we lost Nolan and Barton.

That for me would be a great indication that things are changing. It has appeared in the past that these type of players have been removed as soon as they questioned the clubs stance. If that’s changed, it would be a real positive sign for the future.

• 123 will die for the toon army // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:33 AM

I don’t think signing Mbemba, Abdennour, Austin, Mitrovic, Wijnaldum. Can guarantee us Top 6 finish?

We will have to keep Cisse, Toite and May b Colo too. Coz thats improvement.

GK: Krul, Darlow, Woodman
    RB: Janmmatt, Bigi
    LB: Durmett, Haidara, Fergie
    CB: Mbemba, Abdennour, Colo, Taylor, Lasceles
    CM: Wijnaldum, Colback, Anita, Tiote, Abeid,
    RM: Sissoko, Perez, Obertan
    LM: Aarons, Cabella, Guoffran
    F: Mitrovic, Austin, Cisse, De Jong, Rivere, Armstrong.

TOP 6 CLUB.

• 124 Ian Toon // Jul 21, 2015 at 11:39 AM

bills- I remember reading something about Pato being offered to Hull City in January. They were said to have turned him down on fitness grounds.

JFA is currently on his 4th re-draft of a statement to fans. He’s got an opening statement ” As my legion of followers are only too well aware we should have bought big time when we finished 5th.”
    Thereafter he’s got writers block and a waste paper basket full of screwed up paper. He just can’t get beyond starting the next sentence with BUT. However JFA – it’s the But part we all want to hear. I am not into conspiracy theories so I don’t believe the claim that JFA has a fall back position and the resurrection of Sack Llambias.
    For me one swallow or rather two swallows errr doesn’t make a summer ! Ashley out – oh JFA would you kindly, I mean please would you you know what I mean! He that is down need fear no fall- leave.

Read Salinger and learn to spot a phoney. I like to think that this coming season we will see the face of the new Newcastle and that failure and praising failure ceases to be a blog pastime. As well as a few more additions to the squad we want Steve Mc to inspire those players that have underperformed ( like Anita) to do better. You know it makes sense.
    JFA Out- ( and not to resurface as Sack Llambias)!

• 125 BoyDoneGood // Jul 21, 2015 at 12:19 PM

“wondering if I lie low long enough and start pasting my predictions from back in 2011 I can fit in an “I told you so”.

Sarky? You have a short memory – my repost from March was a direct response to you at the time. Anyway, I didn’t vaguely prophesy about some time in the future: I drew an inference about this transfer window. As I recall, JM (rare poster?) was the only person in agreement. He or she was much more optimistic.

• 126 kilbane // Jul 21, 2015 at 1:12 PM

Why’s it we don’t consider Vickic as our player when he’s clearly better than Manu. He’s not really been given the chance to shine at NUFC.

previous post: McClaren’s Praise For Experienced Newcastle Defender