The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Mbemba – I’m Joining Newcastle – It’s My Dream Come True

11:16 am, Wednesday, July 22nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 235 Comments

Chancel Mbemba has said that joining Newcastle United is his dream and that he will be moving to St James’ Park, even though things are not yet finalized – he seems to have set his heart on joining his former team-mate Aleksandar Mitrovic on Tyneside.

We’re not sure when this deal will complete but it looks almost certain it will go through, and as far as we are concerned the sooner the better.

Chancel Mbemba-1

Cancel Mbemba – talks about when he joins Newcastle

This is what the DR Congo and Anderlecht center-back has said:

“The transfer is not finalized yet. There are still some details to work out but it will go through and I’m proud of myself.”

“I worked very hard for it to arrive and it’s a childhood dream come true. In Congo, everyone dreams of one day playing in the Premier League.” “In my country, it is the place to be.”

“I went to visit Borussia Monchengladbach’s facilities. I had a good interview with their management, and the coach tried to sell it to me but the club could not pay what Anderlecht requested.”

“Atletico have also made an offer, but it was refused for the same reasons.”  “This competition is a showcase. I think it’s mostly at home to Arsenal when I tabled my business card to English clubs.”

“When I arrived in 2011 I had nothing. I did not even know if I was going to eat every night. And now here I am. It’s also cool that Mitrovic is in Newcastle too.”

“But I also look forward to seeing Cheikhou Kouyate when we face West Ham.”

He’s talking there like he’s already at Newcastle – when we (Newcastle ) face West Ham.

Mbemba’s agent is Fabio Baglio and he had this to say about how his player impressed Graham Carr:

“The interest of English does not date from yesterday.” “The head of scouting at Newcastle (Graham Carr) came to see Chancel during Champions League match in Dortmund.”

“He was impressed, and Newcastle continued to follow Chancel.” “Since the club had the means to the amount requested, the negotiations were quick.”

It’s not often that Newcastle outbid the bigger clubs for our transfer targets, but this is what we have done to get Mbemba.

The Belgium press have been reporting since last Friday that this is a done deal, although it looks like the details still have to be worked out, and Newcastle need to get a work permit for him.

We seem to be on a roll at the moment in the transfer market, and we need to keep it going.

Newcastle still need another striker and another center-back brought in – in addition to Chancel – and maybe another midfielder.

235 responses so far ↓

• 1 Graeme // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Whumpie from previous – what we have already spent is, frankly, not an issue, its not like we can’t afford it. Given the increase in TV money from next season, relegation this season would be an unmitigated disaster.

It is vital to a lot of clubs survival that they are not relegated this season – they may never get back up – which applies to us as much as anyone else. If they have to spend another £40 million to complete the squad overhaul to ensure a comfortable season finishing in the top half – then that’s what they need to do.
    They can do the tinkering the season after, sell off players no longer required – but they can’t screw it up this season.

• 2 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:20 AM

Ashley Out!

• 3 hibbit // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:20 AM

i was asked earlier today do i know anything about modern football well i do and like a lot of the daytime posters i see the modern football problem at newcastle we can not defend i also see the answer buy 2 CB who know what they are doing

• 4 Rotonda heights // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:21 AM

The press are saying Kemen is going to Milan because he has not shone or seized his chance at NUFC. WTF!!!!

What is he 18/ 19 and when has had a chance or even played a game for us ??? and why do top clubs want him. This is insane. Has SM even had a look at him yet?

• 5 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Just read that report about Kemen to Milan. We should loan him there if they reckon he is going to get first team games. I still don’t see where he fits at this stage in the first team here, and would prefer to see him loaned out to gain experience.

Italy on loan would seem like a good option for the lad. Wouldn’t want to see him sold at this stage though.

• 6 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:26 AM

Tbf SM made no secret of the fact that he thought this whole trip was a waste of space, and no doubt he would have liked his squad building done at home rather than flying new signings piecemeal into a nothing tour against third rate bladder-hoofers (no offence..) who don’t seem to care much about it either. Hence a few token senior appearances and a good stretch for a lot of players soon to be loaned out or flogged. I think a side that makes an awful lot more sense will be wielded against Southampton of course. The only good thing to come out of this tour is it highlights those who have the drive and determination ( oh and er skill) to want to aspire to the first team.

• 7 Graeme // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:29 AM

BREAKING – Willo replacement has been uncovered, more news soon

• 8 John Tudor // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:30 AM

keegan theory score more than them
    thats what the fans want?
    no the fans want to win games and play well

• 9 martoon // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:31 AM

I don’t want to burst anybody’s bubble but I think this may be the end of our spending spree. The only player we haven’t got that we’ve been heavily linked with is Austin – but he may have been plan B if we didn’t get Mitrovic. I suspect minor ins and outs but no more big ones.

• 10 nufc4lifeinoz // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:31 AM

Well its about time we had a decent defender, hopefully we will get another one over the line soon. Make it a big one please boys!!! We can win games with the sh!t we have on the back line…
    Aarons looked good today as did Widgi,
    Cant believe Gouff is still getting a run!
    Nice to see some action though, im keeping everything crossed.

• 11 John Tudor // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:32 AM

i expect nay demand better centre backs pronto

• 12 AngusMitchell // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:33 AM

To be this is just what we needed. Him and Colo as CB’s. No need to buy an extra CB now, as it’s important to get dynamics between the two starting CB’s maintained. And replacing Colo at the same time would really screw the defense up. Colo is fit to play another Season until he decides if he wants to leave for Argentina. Good signing! Looking forward to it! How are we looking on the Backs? Janmaat and?

• 13 Rotonda heights // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:33 AM

well don’t then!

• 14 nufc4lifeinoz // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:33 AM

Cant win games (typo)

• 15 nufc4lifeinoz // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Dont want my bubble burst thanks, its taken ages to blow the bloody thing up!!!!!

• 16 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Rotunda – there could be another factor, as Gru says to Ramsbottom – “Ohhhhhh….ATTITUDE!”

• 17 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:37 AM

Yeah Martoon stow the bubble-burstotron 3000 will ya…

• 18 Jail for Ashley // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:39 AM

Never mind, I think you’re missing my point, all I’m saying is that I think specialist RB cover is a priority in defence, others think LB and some think two CBs is the most important. I just don’t want to see makeshift defences anymore, if Mbemba is playing well I don’t want to see that rhythm interrupted for want of a player in his correct position. If your cover is also injured not much you can do about that. But you can minimise the risk by not having utility players as your second choice covering more than one position. ie Dummet last year being our LB and CB cover.

• 19 will die for the toon army // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:39 AM

Cisse is the worst player so far at pre-season. Now am ok with the club bring Austin.

Mcclaren pliz we dont need Thauvin. We already have wat we need in those positions. Give e money u r spending on Thauvin, Split it btn Perez and Aarons which will motivate them to do better. Improve their contracts.

Thauvin wont improve any thing on NUFC that Perez and Aarons wont do. Keep our 12m in the bank.

Mcclaren go for Abdennour and Austin. Thank you Gaffer.

Your long time fan.

• 20 will die for the toon army // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:42 AM

Mike Ashely theory. If a player wants to leave. Let him go Get the money. Kemen if want to go u r free to go.

• 21 swemag // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:45 AM

What was up with Obertan yesterday? Ronaldo moves. Or was that just because he was playing against his level of opposition?

Some of the things he did I find hard to believe would work in the PL.

On the defence yesterday, non of those goals would have happened with our regulars. almost cruel to put Satka with Ferguson, give the boy a chance to play alongside an experienced CB.

• 22 Mitrogoal // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:46 AM

The Toon finally showing some ambition. Love it!

• 23 will die for the toon army // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:48 AM

I felt sorry for Sakta but I believe Steve Black will get his moral back up.

• 24 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:51 AM

Martoon, why do you think the spending is over, when Macca says it isn’t? Unless you know something he doesn’t? Surprising as it is, he said 4-5 new players this window – at least – with further investment in the next two windows. That’s what he signed up to and so far he’s sticking to it. He also said the right players, not just anybody, so at least give him chance to finish what he’s started. We might all be pleasantly surprised.

• 25 geordieboy83 // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:54 AM

I see where you’re coming from regarding a rb but the only issue for me is, as a back up rb we don’t wanna spend more than a few mil on a stand in who will most likely sit on the bench time and time again. In terms of quality at that price I can’t see there being any that would be better than throwing in one of our young lads. Trippier would’ve been good mind

• 26 swemag // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:55 AM

I have from various sources that there is a shock move on the cards, one that Ashley is working hard to not let the press know about. It is not clear to me if this is about a player or some club related business.

I just pray that it is a positive one rather than something in the mold of renaming St James’.

What would be the biggest name that could possibly come to Toon within our current structure?

• 27 swemag // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:57 AM

Ibrahimovic signing on for 2 years as a mentor to Mitrovic?

• 28 smoke beer, drink tabs // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:59 AM

Just seen the goals we conceded last night. I know we had a makeshift back 4 but f@ck me, every goal we conceded last season was off mistakes or crosses into the box. Every goal last night was the same and preventable, proves where our money is to be spent

• 29 Jib // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:59 AM

Aymeric Laporte is only the 2nd Frenchman to play for Athletic Bilbao .
    He is a classy 6’2?, 21 year old centre back, who can also play left back.
    He has had a €27.5 million release clause slapped on him when Barcelona and Milan came sniffing last Summer.

The Spanish footy bible La Marca said:

“Aymeric Laporte se convierte en el sueño inalcanzable del AC Milan “(Aymeric Laporte becomes the unattainable dream of AC Milan )

We have sniffed before , last Summer , and in the Winter window .
    Would we pay £20 million for a centre back, albeit one who is being mooted as a future France captain ?

• 30 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Jail, i do get your point, but like i’ve said, you can’t fix it in one window. To do that you’d need to buy a complete new starting eleven and that certainly ain’t on the cards. We’ve made a really positive start on rebuilding, but we can’t cover all eventualities. I wish we could, believe me, but we’ve got to be realistic. Mbemba and one more centre back is about the best even even glass half full people like myself can hope for. That said, maybe we will get cover at right back, nothing’s set in stone.

• 31 will die for the toon army // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:05 PM

Abdenour I think he is the surprise signing I dont see any one.

• 32 Polarboy // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:07 PM

I just read a comment on the Chronicle from a guy who was actually getting the hump with us signing Mbemba, because according to him the steep rise in his worth meant that we overpaid out of desperation.

Now I know there has been fully justified condemnation of the Ashley regime, and I was among those people who condemned it and still do to a large extent, but to pull yourself in knots like that just to critcise is ludicrous.

• 33 expatmag // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:08 PM

Once again, where is your source for this info?

• 34 will die for the toon army // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:10 PM

I think with Mbemba, Mitrovic and Wijnaldum. We can start the season as we wait for Abdenour and Austin.
    Sissoko…………..De Jong…….Aarons/Perez

We can start e season with that.

• 35 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:10 PM

John tudor. Don’t mean to sound facetious, but you’ ve defeated your own argument. If we score more than the opposition, al la Keegan, we win anyway.

• 36 BandB // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:12 PM

Good to see you getting into to trouble for being over optimistic about signings.

I’m with Martoon….we get this new CB in and that could be about it on major inbound stuff………….

• 37 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:12 PM

Polar boy – amen to that. Backs up my point that some people will never be happy lmao!

• 38 Whumpie // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:13 PM

Graeme – finally getting back to you on your point about whether money spent so far is an issue.

I’d argue that it is. It’s well-spent, I suspect – although let’s not get too carried away over three players two of whom are only 20, and with no PL experience between any of them.

What I’m saying is that I doubt if there is enough left in the pot to spend where it’s really needed, which is across the back line. One 20-year-old CB is not going to do it; we need to spend at least another £20m on defenders just to be looking at mid-table. I can’t see it happening, personally.

Hope I’m wrong.

• 39 AshSays // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:16 PM

Reported in the guardian: “Aarons, who missed much of last season due to injury but scored in the Capital One Cup victory against Manchester City in October, is expected to sign a new contract this week”??

• 40 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:17 PM

Best big shock for me would be the club saying we were binning and replacing them with The Sir Bobby Robson Foundation free of charge. The loss in income being made up for by SD paying for the stadium advertising.

• 41 Jib // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:17 PM

I think the smiley after Swemags comment gave it away

Zlatan Ibrahimovic was born in Sweden to a Bosnian Muslim dad and a Croatian Catholic mum .
    Anyone less likely to get on with a Serb who played for Partizan Belgrade ,would be hard to find.

• 42 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:19 PM

*binning Wonga

• 43 pawl250 // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:20 PM

Aarons needs to be signed on a longer contract. Even if he flops you could probably sell him on for a couple of million. Yet if he doesn’t he looks remarkably like Sterling and could dare I say be subject to a 30m plus move in the future if he progresses as everyone suspects he will.

Make no bones about it though, he will move on for big money if he is a success. And he will want to go as he is not from our youth system, we like Sterling took him from someone else so he has no allegiance to Newcastle.

Important to sign the contract before start of season as any hype will likely make him wait the final year out in hopes of a move up the table.

• 44 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:21 PM

Swemag, maybe the big news is he’s selling to an oil magnate? What exactly have you heard mate and who from? You’ve whetted my appetite now, don’t leave us hanging!

• 45 pawl250 // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:24 PM

Have to say am pretty excited for the Southampton match, looking forward to absorbing the atmosphere in the stadium as alot of positive energy should be flowing with new signings.

Hopefully we can get a win from Southampton, would be a solid 3 points to start the season. Swansea (away), Man Utd and Arsenal following cannot see many points out of that run in.

Hopefully we do unexpected and get 6 points out of first two games, Man Utd and Arsenal then don’t look as bad if we lose 4 on the bounce.

• 46 SuperShearer // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:27 PM

@AshSays have you got a link mate? That’s great news if true.

• 47 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:29 PM

I’ll be quite happy with a CB, a winger who can operate on both flanks and a LB as good as Janmaat.

Let Williamson, Tiote/Anita and Cisse go.

If we bring in Austin on top I’d be buzzing.

I see the calls for RB competition but there is Anita who looks to be staying who will go in there if needed. Not ideal I know but OK if desperate. Then young Sterry who is being moulded into a specialist RB and seemingly doing well to get on the bench last season.

As much as i’d love to see 2 CB’s come in that seems really doubtful during this window.

• 48 Polarboy // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:29 PM

@will die for the toon army. Liking the look of the spine of the team when you have it like that, quality the whole way through. Well that is if Krul manages to pull his socks up once again. Although to be fair to him, with what he had in from of him last year it was no wonder he was sh*te.

• 49 Graeme // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Whumpie @ 37. It would not surprise me, after the squad evaluation in the USA, if Mac is not in discussions with Penfold, confirming just how useless the back 4 are – for confirmation, just look at the Goals Against column for last 3 seasons.
    The squad NEEDS a 2nd CB and a LB to be in a reasonable place for the New season.

• 50 Spuggy // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:30 PM

The transfer window so far has been great but let’s not run away with ourselves:

– Mitrovic is young and untested in the PL and needs good service from out wide which is something we lack.

– We still need another CB ideally if we are serious about pushing on. Colo is 33 and Taylor/Willo aren’t top class players. I’m sceptical that ynyone else will follow Mbemba in.

– Hiadara and Dummet are not at a consistent PL level yet and have a lot to prove this season.

– Our injury record is abysmal and needs to be addressed. Siem, Colo and Taylor in particular need to show that they can stay fit for 80%+ of the season.

– Do our foreign players have the heart to wear the shirt and sweat blood for the team. We were supposed to focus on domestic talent but seemed to have defaulted to our usual continental approach. Great skill is nothing without desire, heart and commitment – qualities that have been sorely lacking in a NUFC team for a long time.

– McClaren needs to prove that he can transform us into a fluid pass and move team with end product. That he can motivate players. That he can develop players. His record, whilst better than Pardews, has had significant high’s AND lows.

– Other mid range teams are strengthening too and will be better next season (cabaye to palace!).

Plenty of reasons to be optimistic but a few notes of caution but we have definitely stepped up our approach to recruitment in the funds we are prepared to spend which is encouraging to see.

• 51 martoon // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:31 PM

Sorry guys – cancel the bubble-burstotron 3000 now 🙂
    Bobbybee – sometimes what the manager says he wants and what he gets are not quite the same – it’s just a feeling I’ve got based on the fact we’ve spent about £30 – 40m which was allegedly our transfer budget.
    BandB @35 Not often you and I agree – this day could go down in history:)

• 52 AshSays // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:37 PM

Read the last line in this article:

• 53 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:41 PM

Replacement for Willo. Only 50p required by the look of it.

• 54 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:43 PM

I’m hoping that SM is that canny. To go along with a pointless ‘tour’ and showcase the deadwood to Charnley – ” hmm, Lee – do you REALLY want to tell Mike that I had to make do with this lot, when we’re bottom six in december?”

• 55 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:43 PM

I think people are being a bit harsh on Haidarra. Before that muppet from Wigan nearly ended his career, he was one of our better players that season. If he got better cover from left midfield it would certainly help. He’s still young with plenty of time to improve and he can get crosses in, which Mitrovic can make good use of. I think Macca’s style will suit him.

• 56 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:44 PM

Martoon maybe an uplift in the transfer budget is the big ‘secret’ Mike is keeping?

• 57 BandB // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:45 PM

I am intrigued by the “deal of the century” hints mind.

I was amused to see JFA being slaughtered for suggesting that we might invest a few extra bob on right back cover. “Never satisfied” “Rome wasn’t built in a day” “always moaning” etc.

I agree with you.

I am now waiting to be attacked as a pessimist, a nay-sayer, doom-monger and party-pooper by the same people, doing themselves an injury in an effort to attack both points of view as negativity at the same time.
    And merely for agreeing with a loyal season ticket holder.

• 58 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:46 PM

Bobbybee well actually I agree with you on Haidara. Had as big a knock to his head as his knee poor lad. I’m hoping that leg is not permanently damaged and that he can continue his progress a new this year. Accelerated beyond Santon in the brief run he had imo.

• 59 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:48 PM

JAIL! What have you been doing??? Filling people’s heads with fanciful practicalities? Shame on you!

• 60 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:49 PM

Just referring to your pic caption, Ed – are you sure we should Cancel Mbemba? it’s a bit late now he’s on the plane isn’t he? 🙂

Chancel be a fine thing ha ha oh dear…

• 61 Our Toon // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:49 PM

Wow things have really got spicy today. Bobby bee must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed!! Excellent news regarding this fella, more needed though

• 62 martoon // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:49 PM

Tsunki @55 – Let’s hope so.
    It’s just that this administration always seems to get by on the bare minimum and they’ll probably see a striker, midfielder and Centre Back as that.
    I really hope I’m wrong!

• 63 Slank // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:51 PM

Pawl @ 44

I’m very hopeful about the Southampton game especially as they have lost three of their star players.

Southampton and Swansee are the teams we have to beat if we are to progress along with Everton, Palace, West Ham and Stoke.

I’m not expecting us to beat Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs or Liverpool but can envisage the odd upset.

• 64 BandB // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:52 PM

Not just Jail, but that well known hothead and writer of ill-considered, ill-informed junk Lilongwe Geordie too.
    Though Lil doesn’t think we’ll buy right back cover.

• 65 SuperShearer // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:52 PM

@AshSays, cheers fella. Great news. I hope he is going to sign this new deal. He’s looked very impressive in pre-season and seems to be part of McC’s plans. We need to keep hold of him until his value goes up to silly money.

• 66 pawl250 // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:52 PM

Never thought I would agree with JFA

But after Mbemba I agree, right back is the issue.

Would love both a right back and another centre back but me personally, I would be happier for the cover in right back.

We have alot of centre back cover. OK its not amazing cover, but its enough to go on this season.

• 67 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:57 PM

Martoon, i’m just going on the fact that he said he’s seen the budget and the spending still ain’t stopped, so until he says otherwise I’ll stay optimistic. I’d put a smiley face there, but this tablet is my new toy and at 58, I’m a touch technophobic! When I try, I just get a splash of random characters. Will one of you young wizards explain what i need to do please?

• 68 Slank // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:57 PM

This might seem a bit naive but surely the right back who plays for the under 21s, whose name escapes me, should be tried out in these preseason games unless of course that player is Bigi who I thought was a midfield player.

• 69 swemag // Jul 22, 2015 at 12:58 PM

The info comes from 2 sources, one is a different forum on a well known social networking site. The source have had some good info before.
    Then I read in a comment on this forum that a well known Toon journalist had said the same thing.

Maybe just a way of building on the current wave fo positivity.

@ Lilongwe – I would agree with that totally.

• 70 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:04 PM

Our toon, what do you mean got up on the wrong side of the bed? I ain’t been to bed, I’ve been up all night to watch the game. All sorted now, nothing to see, move along. (Again, smiley face).

• 71 Toonfan8 // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:04 PM

I think we should be satisfied with this window yet.
    Mitrovic – well, how many times did we bought striker of his profile? Best player in EURO U19, best goalscorer in Anderlecht, only 20, I think he will be great succes here.

Wijnaldum – another high profile player, best player in Dutch league last season, captain of PSV, has 14 goals from midfield last season, was in starting line up for Holland in World Cup, and finished 3rd.

Mbemba – described as best defender in Belgium, as a beast, quick, comfortable with ball, also described as the best african defender nowadays, so there must be something in him. Only real doubt for me is his height, not his age, if he is 26 or 20 doesnt matter, he can play another 6-8 years minimum…

and our players returned from injury:
    De Jong – if he will stay fit, he can have huge impact on our season, as he is pure football brain.

Aarons – big talent, great skills, looks very promising, just what we were missing in winger position.

S.Taylor – if he can stay fit, he can play in EPL, he showed it in past and he can do it now, my only worry with him is, how long he can stay fit.

What we need:
    RB – cover player, young player 19-22 y.o.
    CB – one big, strong lad there, Abdennour/Rudiger – high profile player
    this seems to be must before window ends.
    CF – maybee, but if Cisse stay here, it isnt priority
    WG – Aarons fit, Sissoko on right, Perez, Cabella can do job there also, Wijnaldum can too…I would give them chance to prove themselves, if they arent good enough, then in winter bring winger.

• 72 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:05 PM

Well I am known to like a smiley, but unfortunately this site is a but restricted to the most basic unless you have a moty degree. I use stick to a colon followed by a bracket for smiles and frowns, or a colon with a capital D for jeffs comments. Oh I forgot I do a one with a colon and a straight line, but I’ve yet to find out why. 😐

• 73 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:06 PM

• 74 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:07 PM

Our Toon, the post @69 sort of explains things. What’s worse than getting out of bed on the wrong side, you say? ……..

• 75 Toonfan8 // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:08 PM

and I forgot
    Darlow – good backup goalkeeper, as a second choice I like him more than Elliot
    Lascelles – looks good in pre-season, has good figure, but not as a starting choice…

• 76 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:11 PM

OK. Back four. Colo and another decent CB would be good enough for what we need with a properly marshalled midfield. We could stick with Saylor and Dummett as CB cover for the first half season. We need a good LB with Haidara as cover or even competition, and a good stick to his job and don’t bomb up the line cover for janmaat on the right. So we need a top LB at minimum. Imho. Oh and 🙂

• 77 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:12 PM

• 78 will die for the toon army // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:13 PM

Abdennour and Austin and I will call it the best window ever. That Feyenord kid for that money I add him too.

No Thauvin. NO

• 79 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:14 PM

See, i try to put a smiley face and now i get question marks. Come on somebody, what do i need to do? I use a samsung galaxy 3 if that helps?

• 80 Our Toon // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:16 PM

Ahaha, what’s worse than getting out of the wrong side of the bed? Hmmmm not going to bed at all maybe?

Bobby bee – Relax buddy you seem to have a chip on your shoulder and coming from me that’s saying something. We are all passionate here but just as most seem to be getting on you have decided to rock the boat. Be happy ????

• 81 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:16 PM

Tsunki, that’s just mean lol.

• 82 John Tudor // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:18 PM

chuck it in the bin lol

• 83 Magpie Season // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:18 PM

That’s 6 central defenders:
    Lascelles, Dummett, Colo, Taylor, Williamson & Mbemba.

History tells us someone has to go; at the very least to trim the wage bill. But who?

• 84 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:20 PM

Our toon, like i said, all sorted. All forgotten by everyone concerned – until you brought it up again – twice now. No chip on my shoulder, just holding my own.

• 85 martoon // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:21 PM

Bobbybee @66 – This might surprise you but I’m only a year behind you. I really hope you are right about the budget. You can do a smiley face with a colon : followed by bracket ) but they should have no spaces between them but have spaces either side – similarly a sad face with the other bracket ( and a perplexed face with a straight line |. There maybe others but that’s all I know 🙂 🙁 😐

• 86 expatmag // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:21 PM

I see Sissoko wants to stay now.

Could it be because noone has bid for him.

I am still happy to keep him as long as he puts in the effort we all know he can do.

• 87 Derek // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:21 PM

I honestly believe we’d be better off replacing both CBs with fresh new signings. Would be happy to see Colo and Saylor sold rather than extending their contracts, and only keep Willo 1 extra year as a backup.

As far as LB goes, I’d give Haidara a chance. In my opinion he’s not too bad a LB and will only improve with games. Should he under perform or get injured again Dummett can fill in there, but ideally I’d like to see a proven strong yet agile CB signing who can also play RB/LB as backup should they be required.

• 88 hibbit // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:22 PM

tsunki……….if you think we can start a new season with the same back 4 +1 then your sadley mistaken

• 89 Toonfan8 // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:22 PM

Williamson and Collocini if Abdennour is brought here…
    Abdennour,Mbemba,S.Taylor,Lascelles,Dummet, it is good enough

• 90 expatmag // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:23 PM

Also, we need to get Woodman jnr, Aarons, Armstrong, Kemen and Abeid on long term contracts to ward off the scavengers.

• 91 ToonAndy // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:24 PM

It’s amazing how much football knowledge some people have on here (no sarcasm at all). The scouts and management could read this blog and take notes. Some of the players that we have cried out for in the past that our scouts haven’t even touched upon that have gone to different clubs and been class and then sold out for tens of millions.

A few more signing and we are really shaping up. I believe (after Mbemba) we need another CB, quality LB, a very quick winger who can cross, score, assist and play on both flanks (Shaquiri/Mertens etc), and one more forward. We would actually be a very strong team and also have a bit of quality in depth. Getting Arrons on at least a 5 year contract is a MUST. This kid is 19, England international who’s value is soon to sky rocket. A winger on each side bombing forward to score/supply to the forwards is what we have been desperately lacking! (And a good defence) hopefully there’s more quality to come in the right positions and we’re in for a treat next season.

• 92 Toonfan8 // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:24 PM

for me Haidara is good as a LB, can bring assists, is brave in defending and can be only better, for me, he has to be given a chance this season…He has better potential, than Santon

• 93 Jib // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:24 PM

Like this 🙂 ok

• 94 hibbit // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:25 PM

toonfan8 why do you persist with taylor we never get a full season

• 95 John Tudor // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:25 PM

• 96 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:25 PM

Martoon, i mean the yellow ones. I’ve got them on my keyboard – hundreds of the little boogers – but for some reason they won’t transfer onto here.

• 97 nut meg // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:26 PM

Magpie Season
    Williamson, Collo & sick note Taylor.Bring Abdennour in to match up with Mbember,the quicker they get paired up as a defensive unit the better.The monster hole in our defence has to be plugged before anything else.

• 98 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:26 PM

Ah. Spuggy! Seeing as you’ve made what I assume you be a rare appearance, I thought I’d comment on the foreign buying policy you alluded to.

Years ago, Scottish football dipped steeply into decline after many clubs bought heavily into slightly less than top notch foreign talent, at the same time home-growing academies and grass roots football declined as young ( but mediocre) ” talent” was brought in from overseas. Maybe this was to keep up with their southern cousins across the border in England, or even with European aspirations, whatever the case, the talented Scottish footballer became rarer than the mountainside-dwelling Haggis and even Nessie.

Not to the same extent, but similarly, there is a dearth of English talent these days. it’s no wonder that any half-promising English, Welsh or Scottish player is overpriced and sought after in the home market, unfortunately I fear that it will be this way for some time to come. it’s debatable who is right on this issue – those who say the increased competition will spur our local players to aspire to be better, or those who predicted ( correctly in Scotlands case) that flooding the market with cheap imports would diminish our talent .

• 99 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:26 PM

Forget Austin, bring the Tunisian CB in and build the defence around him. The Anderlecht lad can slot in to RB if needed. Keep Coloccini until winter and dump Taylor and Williamson. Arons is going to be a 50 million player like Mitrovic, also Obertan will flourish in this team. I know this will bring howl of laughter but once the CBs are sorted he will be able to concentrate on hitting crosses in. Also i see Anita as the holding midfield player.Will someone teach Cisse how to stay onside, bloody not difficult is it?

• 100 pawl250 // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:27 PM

If we get rid of one centre back no question its Williamson for me.

If we could sell Williamson, sell Riviere and sell Cisse.

Bring in 1 more centre back after Mbemba, a young rb and Austin I would cream my pants! I would be happy not signing anyone in January if that could happen.

Perfect window!

• 101 B1GSTEVE // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:29 PM

🙁 🙂 :! just checking

• 102 pawl250 // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:29 PM

Oh and Aarons on a new long term contract. Boom

• 103 Mister Tuff // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:29 PM

The “teaser” which is being floated about comes from Ryder at the Chronic -wh has been on tour in the US.
    He has said that we are working on a signing, which if it comes off, will excite Toon fans.
    Now he could have been sold a granny by whoever told him – but equally it might be true.
    A player who can excite fans must be decent or well known at the least. Probably a striker.

• 104 Our Toon // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:32 PM

Good stuff buddy, hopefully we now bring in another CB as well, think it’s clear we need a ball winning midfielder along with a FB as well.

Expat – Could sissoko be wanting to stay because of the type of players coming through the door?

• 105 Toonfan8 // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:32 PM

because he is homegrown and came from our youth system and is younger than Collo and Willo…Willo is worse than him and Collo is 34 and is on big wages, thats why I choose S. Taylor…And we have Lascelles here who can do a job also Dummet…

• 106 pawl250 // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:33 PM

This time next year the following players contracts expire:-

* = Ones I would give a new contract to.
    **= Pending on how they play this season.

• 107 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:34 PM

Mr Tuff – so Mike is going to wheel out ‘Big Bertha’ the über weapon that silences fans with one mighty blast? Could it be possible that Shola is coming back? 😀

• 108 Our Toon // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:37 PM

I’d keep Williamson and flog the other 2, Saylor is injury prone and likely to miss half a season without fail, he’s also on decent sized wages probably around 40k to 50k. With saylor we could at least get 4m maybe 5m.

Colo is the highest paid player at the club, at 33 or 34 he’s not got the legs anymore, get him off the wage bill and send him back to San Lorenzo for 2m

Willo, no point in selling, he’s on peanuts so in terms of reducing the wage it would hardly make a dint, we’d get less than 1m for him so not worth selling and he’s at least got aerial presence defensively so can give us something late on in games if we are being bombarded with aerial attacks.

• 109 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:38 PM

Big steve, now you’re being mean to me. I’ve got a full page of silly faces, so why won’t they transfer?

• 110 John Tudor // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:38 PM

40 mill for andy carroll

• 111 pawl250 // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:39 PM

2017 so in 2 years time contracts that expire are

Tiote = Will be 31
    Cisse = Will be 32
    Riviere Based on last season NO but he may improve…… wishful thinking I know but we will see.**

* = Offer new contract
    ** = Pending how they play

• 112 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:40 PM

Hibbit – I don’t think that at all mate good grief no.

Willo must go, imperative for morale all round, no matter what.

Colo, Saylor, Dummett for me we could do better and should do better. Colo for lack of bottle, Saylor lack of reliability, Dummett lack of ability though his stay of execution could be CB understudy.

That leaves us with Janmaat, Haidara. We aren’t going to get two CB’s, A LB and a RB cover, so we’ll have to keep some or all of the three I mentioned.

• 113 hibbit // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:41 PM

toonfan 8 s taylor is on big wages is a crock runs round like a headless chicken at times and can be a liability we also never get anywhere near a full season out of him

• 114 pawl250 // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:42 PM

Taylor is not on high wages, he gets a “loyalty bonus” every year of about 250k which works out approx 5k, I think hes on approx 25k a week. He is arguably our best defender in centre when fit, it just seems like he is never fit long enough to make the statement hold its weight.

Coloccini moving on would open the door, but 1 year left 2m for the age he is …. no chance. Would be lucky to get 1m from that club aswell. If they are willing so be it, but he certainly was our best centre back last season. Think he has enough for this season, but would not offer him a new contract next year.

Williamson is awful. I would sell him for a Mars bar.

• 115 Derek // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:43 PM

If I was to think realistically (i.e. pound for pound) I’d send Sissoko off for a RW of equal value.

He has clearly stated before that he wants to find a CL club, and that says to me that he doesn’t have the desire to push hard with NUFC. His attitude in trying to force moves to higher clubs suggests he thinks he is better that his performances show.

I also don’t see him fitting into our squad. We have SDJ and Wijnaldum who I believe can both excel in CM, and I just don’t see him consistently delivering the quality balls we need from the RW.

Also as he turns 26 in 3 weeks I’d say he is at peak value. I feel we could get a younger player who is more suited to the wide-running, crossing-in style to match with the heading power of Mitrovic and/or Cisse up front.

• 116 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:44 PM

Bobbybee forget your smiley generator keyboard, this site strangely is low tech, won’t take more than basic html BUT can support multiple personalities ha ha. You’ll be asking how to type italics in bold and underline next….
    😉 🙂 🙁 😐 😀

• 117 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:45 PM

OK no underline. Bah.

• 118 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:45 PM

Our toon, i believe Wijnaldum is a ball winner from what i’ve seen of him. I know he’s hoping to play in a more advanced position, but he’s willing to play wherever needed. He likes to attack from deep, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

• 119 Our Toon // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:46 PM

Common sense would be to sell Colo and Saylor, they at least have some kind of market value rather than losing both for free next summer. Willo has next to zero market value so losing him for free wouldn’t be a bad thing, even extending hos contract by a year wouldn’t break the wage structure. I’m happy for willo to stick around and never play but at least be here in case $hit goes south

• 120 martoon // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:48 PM

Bobbybee – I’m no expert but I think the one’s on your keyboard are for texting. This site is quite restrictive what it accepts so your keyboard ones would probably work on other sites but not here. If you do what I suggested at 84 they will be converted to the yellow ones!

• 121 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:48 PM

I think Sissoko will no longer fit this team. Be surprised if he last a half season. As for Willo, I’d throw a tenner out of the door, tell Iron Mike he’s dropped it, then bolt the door when he goes after it.

• 122 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:48 PM

Pawl, i’d demand change from that mars bar like.

• 123 Our Toon // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:49 PM

Wijinaldum is far from being a ball winner buddy, we I say ball winner I don’t mean someone who can put tackles in and come away with the ball sometimes. I’m talking about the Matic type or Coquelin type of ball winners, sitting in front of the defence hardly venturing forward and putting out fires. A proper ball winner

• 124 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:50 PM

• 125 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:50 PM

Our Toon, frankly if Willo plays for us again, the stuff you talked about will indeed be on a journey southernward.

• 126 Rotonda heights // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:51 PM

From earlier,

Not saying Kemen should be in the first team but definitely kept around the frst team squad. would be criminal to lose him and even crazier to lose aarons. Need to get them both tied down to longer contracts

• 127 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:51 PM

• 128 martoon // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:52 PM

Tsunki @115 – You’re showing off now!

• 129 hibbit // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:52 PM

i keep reading sell this one sell that one the problem is to sell something you have to have a buyer and there’s not many of them about is there

• 130 pawl250 // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:53 PM

Hes a box to box player.

Think Cabaye, he is equally as good both in defense and offensive positions maybe not as good of a passer, but certainly has a better engine.

Would like him to play Centre mid alongside Tiote who I would instruct just to sit in the pocket and protect the defence. It allows him to move forward and run back if needed.

We have bought decent potential this window. Lets not waste it by letting our better players leave.

Certainly need to look at defense more than anywhere else, a right back and centre back would be nice.

Austin would be the bitter sweet if we managed to get all 3 after Mbemba.

• 131 martoon // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:54 PM

Bobbybee – By George you’ve got it!

• 132 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:54 PM

Bit slow on the uptake there chaps, but thanx for the help. (I have been up all night, which is my excuse that i refuse to budge from) :()

• 133 Derek // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:57 PM

I’d be more than happy to see the 3 go, Willo, Colo and Saylor. However, I don’t see Cashley forking out for 3 quality CBs in one window.

Hopefully though we can buy one more CB to play alongside Mbemba. Then Lascelles and Dummett as backup PLUS loan a decent versatile defender who can play CB and LB/RB.

That should have us covered in the case of injuries too

• 134 Our Toon // Jul 22, 2015 at 1:58 PM

I’m not talking about using Willo as a starter I’m talking about having him as a back up to the back up. 2 new CB’s, Laschelles as back up and willo or a youngster as his back up. Reason for that is purely down to finances and because he’s the cheapest option

• 135 hibbit // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:00 PM

pawl see you have been doing a bit of thinking now you have it…. 2 cb……1 rb…… and austin i knew you would get there in the end

• 136 Rotonda heights // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:00 PM

”Rotunda, if you want to believe the boycotts brought about change, carry on deluding yourself. Not sure where i brought politics or religion into it ”

– – – – – – – – – – – – – –

So you don’t think keith bishop was a reaction to the AO campaign, or the speech ash made. without the mass protests we’d probably be going in to anther season with carver and his assorted goons, signings would have been kept in the usual 5m bracket and ambition remained to finish 17th.

The politics and religion reference is part of ed’s welcoming speech in the left hand menu about respecting other people and not using abusive language, ie calling them morons and being delusional

• 137 Rotonda heights // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:03 PM

our toon

i don’t think willo should be retained in any capacity. He will always be associated with a level we will hopefully rise way above.

• 138 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:03 PM

Totally agree Derek.

• 139 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:04 PM

Our toon. If macca can get tiote performing again, we’ve got one ready made, as long as he sticks to his job and doesn’t think he’s ronaldo. Remember when he used to just win the ball and lay it off simply? Before he took to trying to dribble out of defence all the time? Where did that player go? Used to be one of the best…

• 140 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:05 PM

Derek I would keep Collo until the winter to bed in the Forest lad, then either a coach or away.

• 141 nightfa11 // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:07 PM

we already have willos replacement in lascelles – even satka..

mbemba to replace taylor..abdennour to replace colo..

but i agree..we should keep colo adn taylor least till january so new defenders can adapt to epl.. then get first team LB and backup Rb..and we have 2 players for each position..but until then mbemba and dummet can be backup fullbacks..

so.. for now CBs: colo, taylor, abdennour, lescalles
    lb: haidara dummet
    rb: janmaat mbemba

and in january

cbs: abdennour, mbemba, dummet, lescalles
    rb: janmaat, new young rb cover
    lb: first team LB, haidara as backup

• 142 expatmag // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:09 PM

Just had a vision.

Can you imagine a revitalised and pace driven Sissoko and the energetic Wijnaldum, breaking out of deep with the ball, feeding another revitalised frenchnan in Obertan and Aarons, to attack down the flanks with pace before feeding the waiting De Jong and Mitrovic.

So many exciting possibilities hete

• 143 hibbit // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:10 PM

nightfa 11 if we go into the season with those cb we will be in trouble again

• 144 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:10 PM

Bobbybee, i see it as a straight fight between Anita and Tiote for the holding role although Colback could do it i think. If the defence is secure withe Mbember and the guy from Tunisia a passer could be deployed in DMF

• 145 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:13 PM

Expat, yes i can mate. Need the defence sorted with a real dominant CB like the lad from Tunisia. Get the young un from PSV in the winter when Collo hangs up his boots.

• 146 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:15 PM

If the toon play the way Umbella man wants Obertan will be released to do what he is good at, running at the full back and getting crosses in. Aron’s can do that NOW.

• 147 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:17 PM

Stay away from Thauvin, he is a bloody drama queen.

• 148 Derek // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:18 PM

I think the sooner we see a first team lineup not consisting of Willo, Colo and Saylor the better.

However, I do agree that keeping them until January is not a bad idea at all for guidance/coaching purposes for the young lads Lascelles, Mbemba, Satka etc.

Besides, it’s not like Ashley will be rubbing his hands together at their potential resale value!

• 149 Magpie Season // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:19 PM

nut meg,

I doubt all 3 would be let go.

It would have to be 1 of those 3 wouldn’t it. My guess is Colo, but out of his own volition, to move back to his homeland finally. But would San Lorenzo pay his full wage?

Willamson will probably stay as a back-up. Handy to have with lots of Premier League experience & only paid 10k/wk.

Taylor, I think under SM will be given another season at the very least to show he is able for a full season.

• 150 will die for the toon army // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:21 PM

Abdennour and Austin. Charnely, Carr and Mcclaren.

Keep Colo and Cheick. Sell Cisse he has disappointed this pre season. The earliest u get money out of him the better. He is way passed it.

• 151 Magpie Season // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:22 PM

Haven’t seen much of Woodman Jnr.

Any good?

I remember Alnwick showed a lot of promise. So too did Nile Ranger & the most recent being Adam Campbell, who has left us for the loftier heights of…Notts County.

• 152 bladeuser // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:23 PM

• 153 Magpie Season // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:24 PM

will die for,

It’s just pre-season mate. I would wait until January, if he has played consistent enough games & performed well.

He’s mentioned on MOTD frequently because of his goals-to-games ratio.

• 154 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:26 PM

Rotunda, believe me, i’ve been called worse. My opinion is MY Opinion and i’ll be stuffed if i’ll change it without good cause. I genuinely don’t believe the boycott made any difference either way, bearing in mind the well organised and publicised sit in after the whu game, which attracted no more than 300 people max. That’s my opinion, right or wrong. The truth is, we’ll never know. I also believe a lot of fair weather fans used that as an excuse not to follow a losing team. Again, MY opinion, right or wrong. You’ll never persuade me to change that opinion. Just as I won’t persuade you, so I won’t waste my time trying. By the way, Ashley is still there, in case you haven’t noticed, so regardless of what you preach, the Ashley out campaign failed. The argument between us – which you butted into – was solved by accepting it was a misunderstanding on both parts and a simple apology from both parties, equally accepted by both. Sorry that wasn’t good enough for you, but then, nobody on either side actually asked for your opinion. The argument is done, wtf are you dragging it up again for? Just go away.

• 155 Mister Tuff // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:26 PM

expat – another vision – you tried that one last night re Obertron.
    Now today – revitalised Frenchman attacking down the flanks.
    This is clearly not a vision, but a picture invented solely through your self induced intoxication (Babychams and pink gins I’d wager).
    Give ya bonce a shake and get back to ya pit. See what you feel like in a couple of hours.

• 156 expatmag // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:28 PM

Apparently he is good. Played well when selected on this tour and rumour has it that Pardew wants him.

• 157 expatmag // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:30 PM

Your reputation as a plastic fan is emerging yet again.

Off to the ladies wrestling forum with you.

• 158 Our Toon // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:32 PM

For what it’s worth the boycott along with other factors did have an impact, it’s no coincidence that money is now being spent and philosophy has changed since the boycott and sack Ashley campaign started. If the boycott didn’t work then why has Ashley suddenly had a change of heart? Did he just wake up and think right time to try to achieve something?

Happy punters means good for business both for SD and NUFC!!

• 159 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:37 PM

I would happily keep cisse. I kmow he isnt the best team player but 11 goals in 22 games isnt to be sniffed at especially when you consider only around half if thise were starts.

• 160 Thump // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:37 PM

“Ashley Out failed”

Heh. An ongoing campaign by a pressure group has failed. Righto.

Anybody notice the sudden change in tack from Ashley? Giving his first interview as Newcastle owner (in which he didn’t actually say much outside of that he wants to win something and that we can spend to do it), the sudden realisation that his ‘buy cheap, sell high’ game isn’t worth anything if you’re going to continue to pay the peanuts for the proverbial monkey.

So, we can either believe that Ashley didn’t trust Pardew with his money and he made a massive error in paying his wages as long as he did, or we can believe that the pressure group, boycotts, and the faltering league position of last season caused him to rethink.

As a side note, NUFC knows more about the fans than we know. Years ago I attended a few Fans United meetings and we were informed that the club had the minutes before we did. They didn’t know what we were doing (literally just talking, as it happened) and they were absolutely bricking it because they thought we were organising some gigantic boycott.

So yes, the protests and such did work. Even if it forced Ashley’s hand, they had an impact, and if it’s good for the club I doubt even the most ardent anti-Ashley person could argue against it.

• 161 pawl250 // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Do you read what I have said. I have never ever said I do not want 2 centre backs, I have said I do not think it will happen, and if I did have a choice a right back would be my second priority over the inital centre back assuming that is Mbemba.

I have always said I would like additions to the team, but I genuinely believe unless a centre back leaves Newcastle no further centre backs will be brought in.

Mbemba will be enough too surely steady the ship enough not to require likes of Janmaat to play a central role. I mean even Lascelles so its already like having two additions in the area.

Right back for me though is needed first. Austin is a wishful purchase as I would have preferred him over Mitrovic personally, but nevermind again he wont come in unless Cisse goes out.

• 162 Macas // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:42 PM

The club had suggested before the boycotts that they had got it wrong in January and were planning to spend big this summer. I believe they put Carver in charge and were keeping the money for a new manager this Summer, thinking there was no chance of relegation last season. The threat of relegation will no doubt have further shown Ashley the need to spend this year. McLaren had already been lined up which is why Carver got the job for a short period, so the change in direction had already been planned. As to whether or not the protests will have made him loosen the purse strings even further than he originally intended is something only Ashley knows.

• 163 will die for the toon army // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:43 PM

Abdennour next signing

• 164 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:43 PM

Our toon, you’re mistaking fact for opinion. He changed because he nearly lost his gravy train to relegation – MY OPINION, right or wrong. I’ve said my piece and i’m not getting dragged into a row about differing opinions. Ffs, we all dislike the fat kn@cker equally. I’m not defending him in any way, shape or form. We all have our own opinions that won’t change by bitching at each other. You believe what you believe and I’ll believe what’s right. 🙂

• 165 pawl250 // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:45 PM

Pardew Bulls

What about the previous 2 seasons inbetween his initial spree and his recent one.

His record was 47 games and 13 goals (the same amount he managed to score in 14 games on his arrival) and 26 games and 4 goals……

Cisse for me is hit or miss. Normally more miss and certainly should have had more goals given some of his chances he had last season and missed.

I would sell him while people look at his recent season and his age (30) and think hes worth 5-7m. Get Austin in for 13-14m so approx 7m difference plus signing on fees etc. for a younger, english striker who I think is a better player allround.

Cisse is one of the most frustrating players too watch and wastes far too many simple chances or gives far too much to opposing team whether it be offside or simply poor control.

• 166 Derek // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:45 PM

Maybe Ashley just didn’t want to make the same mistake twice. i.e. lose money by being relegated.

We will never know so no point harping on it.

What we do know is that Newcastle fans do have the power to completely ruin his reputation should the protests be even bigger and more well organised in future if Ashley continues his frugal and greedy ways.

• 167 jayphoto // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:49 PM

Wouldn’t be surprised to see another centreback come in on the basis that mbemba, whilst im guessing will start as a centreback can equakly cover left back, rightback and DM.
    Can see 2 of Taylor, Colo and Willo leaving! Also wouldn’t shock me if Lascelles goes out on loan to a premier league club!
    Can’t see a left back coming in! Currently weve dummett and Haidara aswell as ferguson on the books whos played LB alot.

• 168 Mr Magpie // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:51 PM

A genuine question if the remaining funds are limited would you guys prefer to go all in for Abdennour & Austin at say a £30 million combined outlay on the 2 players or would you rather see decent but cheaper options brought in such as a cb in Douglas( 1 year left on contract) with a winger like Boetius( 1 year left on contract) & potentially other striker, left back & right back cover up to the same £30m value.

• 169 pawl250 // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:51 PM

Wey this is the big one. If we go down this year we have problems.

We lost a few players to contracts etc like Jonas and RTaylor so need to replace them naturally.

For me we could have a very good season.

Am talking Mbemba and maybe 2-3 more signings more we will have enough depth to make a serious climb and hopefully a decent cup run.

I would be happy to see Riviere (1.5m), Cisse (6m) and Williamson (500k) leave being replaced with Abdennour (7m), Austin (14m) and a young rb (2m) approx 18-19yrs old in mold of Haidara willing to bide his time waiting for his chances and learn his trade under Janmaat.

• 170 jayphoto // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:52 PM

Also, hate to drop this name as its been mentioned too many times, but I reckon the ‘mystery’ surprise signing they are working on will turn out to be Andy Carroll on loan!
    Just got a small feeling we’ll take him with an option to buy

• 171 pawl250 // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:53 PM

Abdennour should not cost 15m thats for sure…..

10m max!

• 172 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:54 PM

I seriously suggest this opinionated argument stops before it gets started. There is no right or wrong, just differing opinions. We’ll never know the truth unless Ashley tells us, and as he only speaks every five years or so, there’s little chance of that. The facts are that he said he intended to get the club on a financial stable footing before pushing the club forward years ago – his five year plan. The rest is just pure speculation and opinions. We all have our own opinion, so lets just leave it at that. We’re actually getting what we all wanted ffs, so the whys and wherefores are irrelevant. Just agree to disagree and put it to bed.

• 173 pawl250 // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:56 PM

Hope not!

He is such a waste of potential due to injuries. Do not get me wrong when he is playing he is a handful, but cannot see us wanting to go down that route.

Wouldn’t mind a trade for Riviere though 😉 he isn’t THAT bad lol

• 174 Derek // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:56 PM

Mr Magpie,

IF we had £30 million remaining to spend (and that’s a big IF), I’d like to see it distributed amongst 2 CBs for around 12-15m each. If we can offload Goufran, Marveaux, and 2 out of the 3 CBs (Colo, Willo or Saylor), then the remaining money can be spent on a RW

• 175 expatmag // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:56 PM

I seriously doubt it.

Carroll is out till October at the very least

• 176 Thump // Jul 22, 2015 at 2:56 PM

To be completely honest, Ashley spending money in one window means nothing to me – it’s just damage control as far as I can tell. We’ll find out if he has changed his spots come January, and the summer window afterwards.

If we qualify for European competition and buy more than one diminutive Dutch bloke, then I reckon we might be onto something.

• 177 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:03 PM

Well I was there at the west ham game and when it finished it was the weirdest feeling to slowly get up out of my seat and walk unhindered down the gallowgate steps, and stand by the concourse for a while, hardly anybody moving. No huge rush of crowds trying to stream out. Anyone else else who was there will back me up on that. I thought there be more made of TV coverage but I suppose SKY didn’t want to turn over it’s impending ‘ preferred media partner’ deal, I dunno. I’m no plastic fan, and I don’t think our club gets those fans because we don’t win anything, there’s little glory to seek here. So like many nufc fans I know there’ll be plenty of rough with the smooth. The empty seats were a warning to Ashley of what would happen in the championship yes he stated the loss of his gravy train ticket in the face, but at the front of that was the potential for half empty stadiums in the lower league, with many times less games covered than last time. SD advertising not just nationally but worldwide plummeting. Money draining from the club and the prospect of having to pay heavily to get back up, and attract an audience again.

If it was a case of the fans having no impact, he’d have just hired George Burley, got Carr to buy some more bargains to shore the club up, and hey ho survive the prem again. But no, he got a PR man in – who would that be for the benefit of? PR man insists he goes on camera to talk to WHO? Yes, that’s right. Mike’s going all in to actually achieve something but us it winning a cup? Qualifying for CL? Never bothered him before so why now? Oh yes, those pesky empty seats. Who are supposed to be sitting in those seats? Yes, that’s right. The fans with no influence. Really? The argument that the fans had no effect holds no logical water, that’s a dogmatic opinion and little more I fear.

• 178 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:05 PM

And that’s all I got to say ’bout that…. 🙂

• 179 Novocastrian66 // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:06 PM

Watched the goals from this morning’s match and I was surprised at how much pace that Ferguson has seemingly lost, either that or he couldn’t be bothered to chase back. Not good either way.

• 180 Derek // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:06 PM

I agree Thump@175,

Im waiting to see where we are at come February with my fingers crossed Cashley doesnt have another January clearance sale

• 181 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:07 PM

Ignore this, just trying something. ????????????

• 182 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:07 PM

Newcastle United expect Rolando Aarons to sign a new long-term contract within the next couple of weeks as they aim to tie their star prospect to the club amid interest from some of the Premier League’s big guns, understands.

• 183 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:07 PM

Jayphoto ha no Andy Carroll. If suppose it’s a while since we’ve had an AC thread. 🙁

• 184 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:08 PM

Failed lol.

• 185 Our Toon // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:11 PM

Bobby bee

Why didn’t he change when he last got us relegated then? Your argument seems flawed to me mate. I’d agree with you if we hadn’t been relegated under ashley before. Btw all you have is your opinion as well not facts!!

• 186 toon kk // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:12 PM

We still have the same mediocre squad that almost got us relegated, we need several new signings to make a difference. Great to have a couple of quality player’s in but we’ve been badly run for so long it will take a few years to recover from.

• 187 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:13 PM

:(:) this should ashley if it works lmao.

• 188 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:14 PM

No, failed again.

• 189 Noel Worst // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:14 PM

Aarons performances in pre-season so far will sure be giving Schteve a selection headache. Looking the most hungry, the most prepared and the most talented out of the lot at present.

• 190 Mr Magpie // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:17 PM

Yeah i’d definetly be looking at a cb like Sule, Rudiger for £10-£12m. Really not sure on £15m on Austin when we already have Mitrovic & no real wide players with end product crossing ability to supply them apart from Aarons.

• 191 Jib // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:24 PM

Tsunki – And that’s all I got to say ’bout that…

If only 😛

• 192 Noel Worst // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:24 PM

For me we need an experienced CB to partner Mbemeba. Having two young CBs new to the league and each other isn’t ideal. Obviously talent comes first, but experience is a close second particularly at CB.

Unfortunately I expect Mr Fist Pump to line-up in our first match, should he be fit.

• 193 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:25 PM

Bobbybee – ( don’t use the plus sign, no spaces between symbols but a space before and after) –
    : + ) = 🙂

• 197 terencelim // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:31 PM

Ashley OUT.

• 198 Novocastrian66 // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:36 PM

• 199 Jib // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:40 PM

I’m cooler than Tsunki 8) me

• 200 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:41 PM

Our toon, what have i been saying? It’s MY OPINION, right or wrong. The only fact i mentioned was Ashley’s five year plan, which is, a fact. How many times can i say it’s my opinion, right or wrong? Or are you saying he didn’t have a five year plan? In which case, you would be wrong. When it comes to opinions there are no rights or wrongs; why is that so hard for you to grasp, when it couldn’t be simpler? You’re well balanced, I’ll give you that – A chip on BOTH shoulders. 🙂 Why not just do as i suggested – agree to disagree? Ffs man, just let it go. I’m done. I will no longer respond to this pointless argument because MY OPINION is just that – my opinion. Yours is yours and I’m not trying to persuade you any different.

• 201 Jail for Ashley // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:41 PM

Always with the drama !
    It’s pretty much roundly agreed that we needed at least five first team players, in what position has caused a bit of debate. Buying a RB cover as one of those five does not equate to buying a full first eleven.
    Geordie 83
    Your point about not spending on a RB and giving one of our lads a go is exactly what brought this subject up, we don’t have one, hence central midfield reserve player Bigiriama keep appearing there.

• 202 Jib // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:41 PM

I’m cooler than Tsunki 😎 me even

• 203 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:42 PM

Jeff. Oh. Dear.

• 204 Jib // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:42 PM

• 205 Derek // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:46 PM

Signing a 15m ST would be a luxury I dont see Ashley spending. Not a priority in my opinion until Cisse leaves. It would only be of large benefit should Cisse or Mitrovic get injured or if we play 2 up front, but with a Wijnaldum and SDJ capable of scoring goals in midfield, I can see McLaren keeping a lone striker up front.

The money would be better spent on a RW with a killer cross 🙂 after spending on DEF first of course

• 206 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:47 PM

• 207 Jib // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:48 PM

• 208 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:48 PM

• 209 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:48 PM

Pfft. I give up.

• 210 Ian Toon // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:50 PM

Tsunki- @177.
    Excellently put together. For me you captured the moment it really was weird. I personally shed a tear of immense relief.
    For the avoidance of doubt I am not taking the mickey or doing a Belfast.

• 211 hibbit // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:52 PM

pawl were do you get these numbers from 1.5 m for rivi as if the club would take that 500k for willo when the club asked boro for 2 m you could be close 6m for cisse ….. i think your a bullshiter who wants people to think you know what your talking about well you don’t i bet you have never kicked a ball in your life you know very little about the game or the club… although you try to come across as if you some insight into the club bullshit of the first order

• 212 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:54 PM

Ian – yes the feeling of relief was more than tangible throughout the ground! No more recording the league show or staying up past midnight to watch us.

• 213 Noel Worst // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:57 PM

Imagine if we won a trophy within the next few seasons, I’m sure Mash would feel very vindicated and would have to have to great restraint not to come out with an I told you so speech.

Not saying I agree with that in any way shape or form, but it’s definitely how the media and outsiders would portray the situation.

For many of our fans I’m sure it would stir up a whole load of ambivalence.

• 214 outsidethebox // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:57 PM

reckon mystery signing could be enrique…..out of picture at pool….

• 215 King Colback // Jul 22, 2015 at 3:59 PM

• 216 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 4:01 PM

Cheers tsunki, i think i’ve grasped it now. Originally i thought those wee yellow faces they’ve given me hundreds of would just work if i pressed them – like the letters and numbers. Silly me, that would be too simple. 🙂

• 217 Jib // Jul 22, 2015 at 4:02 PM

A tip – go to a previous page to experiment otherwise you look a berk 😛

• 218 Jail for Ashley // Jul 22, 2015 at 4:05 PM

Yes Noel, we’d all be eating humble pie after our one relegation, two very near misses, four years of dross with another four to follow if he hadn’t of walked. Dennis Wise JfK and every unwanted record imaginable

• 219 Jib // Jul 22, 2015 at 4:05 PM

Xherdan Shaqiri
    All of a sudden although Schalke are favourites for the “Alpine Messi” The Toon and Everton are in the running for him , he is talking to all 3.
    It’s a German speaking club (he is German Swiss) vs the lure of the EPL riches.

• 220 Belfast // Jul 22, 2015 at 4:06 PM

Here’s your star signing… It’s Andy Carroll.

That would be like catching genital warts.

• 221 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 4:09 PM

Jeff I thought of that then thought of your searching powers….

Belfast, wherever you come from? Yesterday? AC thing already done and put into a shoebox in the cupboard under the stairs, underneath the spirograph and the sodastream.

• 222 King Colback // Jul 22, 2015 at 4:10 PM

• 223 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 4:11 PM

If mash wins us a cup, we might call it a truce.

• 224 Belfast // Jul 22, 2015 at 4:11 PM

I think somebody is telling Lee Ryder porkies to be honest.

• 225 Belfast // Jul 22, 2015 at 4:12 PM

Cmon Skunki everybody loves an Andy Carroll article

• 226 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 4:13 PM

It’ll be the little gadgie on Lee Ryder’s shoulder methinks. Not the one with the white robe and halo.

• 227 scottoon // Jul 22, 2015 at 4:13 PM

I find it very surprising that the visa issue is tied to a countries FIFA ranking. So subjective and arbitrary, and has nothing to do with the individual involved. It just doesn’t seem legal.

I have said before that if Mbemba is truly sealed…pending the visa issue of course…..that I would want a continental or English CB next. I cant see us signing two who could both potentially be off to AFCON in early 2017. Kamil Glik, or Rudiger or Van Dijk would be my preferences. Any more on the rumours about Douglas?

• 228 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 4:14 PM

Belfast I asked Ed but so far he’s ignoring me. In the queue for that like it’s a long line ha ha

• 229 King Colback // Jul 22, 2015 at 4:15 PM

talkSPORT’s transfer guru, Warren Haughton, joins Hawksbee and Jacobs to round up all the very latest rumours and gossip.

Our man reveals Angel Di Maria is desperate to make the move to Paris Saint-Germain and suggests Pedro could replace him at Manchester United.

He also confirms reports Wojciech Szczesny is heading for the Arsenal exit door, with Roma close to concluding a deal for the goalkeeper.

Meanwhile, Charlie Austin continues to be linked with a move away from QPR and Haughton reveals Newcastle are favourites to sign the £15m-rated striker.

• 230 Belfast // Jul 22, 2015 at 4:19 PM

If there is any truth in it and it turns out to be Andy Carroll Lee Ryder will have to hibernate for a long time.

• 231 Sazzer // Jul 22, 2015 at 4:36 PM

Domenico Berardi or Kevin Volland or Fekir. Fits our policy and needs.

But probably one of players we been linked at one point or another Yarmolenko, Shaquiri, Thauvin, Banega, Bellerabi, Pato, Muniain and Carrillo. Or that Leverkusen guy linked with Scum.

Also Moutinho have received a bid from unknown EPL club.

• 232 Sazzer // Jul 22, 2015 at 4:38 PM

Rabiot could be another.

• 233 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 22, 2015 at 7:00 PM

Will Die For The Toon

He is a monster and will bring the best out of Mbember or add an extra £10 million to his sell on price.

• 234 Tunami // Jul 22, 2015 at 10:19 PM

How about Mbemba, Mbemba, Mbemba you’re a Magpie (to the daft tune of “RE
    emember you’re a Womble”?

• 235 DicBDownUnder // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:53 AM

In regards to being surprised by the next signing…

Its a done deal with those eyebrow movements.
    Announced next week I heard.

On a serious note, I love the optimism, but does anyone else feel the surprise may be of the bad kind? And not good… AKA, signing sol campbell to fix our defensive woes…or signing Joe Kinnear as the new MD…?

Just a though…