The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Mbemba To Be Reunited With Former Team-Mate

11:11 pm, Wednesday, July 22nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 174 Comments

Newcastle signing Aleksandar Mitrovic has seemingly confirmed that his former Anderlecht teammate Chancel Mbemba will also sign for the Magpies this week.

20 year-old Aleksandar Mitrovic had a lot of good things to say about Newcastle United after he had signed along the bottom line for Newcastle and he gave a number of interviews.

Chancel Mbemba +RSC+Anderlecht+v+Borussia+Dortmund+b-_ygXUyz4El

Chancel Mbemba – coming to Newcastle

He also explained why the deal had dragged on for a couple of weeks, and it wasn’t because they were waiting for Porto or Roma to come in for him, but there was not full agreement on the fee between the two clubs, and the local papers did report that multiple times.

In the Belgium press it was reported last Friday that Mbemba would soon follow his team-mate and pal to Newcastle and it was a done deal.

In one of his interviews – with  Belgian outlet Het Belang vaan Limburg – this is what Aleksandar said:

“I know the players of Newcastle only from Match of the Day on the BBC.”

“It’s so nice that  Chancel Mbemba will also come.”   “I’ll be reunited with my regular opponent in training.”

That statement wasn’t a shock in Belgium at all.

And then just to make sure everybody knew where he was going, Chancel Mbemba announced this morning he would definitely be signing for Newcastle, and that would be a dream come true for him.

The news is that Chancel is traveling for his medical tomorrow and all being well should be announced as a Newcastle player on Friday.

It will be interesting to see if we see photos of him at Newcastle Airport sometime tomorrow.

And Steve McClaren tonight said Newcastle are after some players that are not even on the radar screens of Newcastle fans and that we’ll be surprised.

Messi and Ronaldo are probably two of the players we will now be bringing in.

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

174 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:15 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Graeme // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:16 PM

So, just another CB plus a genuine LB and we have one hell of a team for the new season. Top half, nailed on.

With continued, promised investment for three windows; by this time next year, we should be aiming for top 6-4, without a doubt.

Bring it on.

• 3 Graeme // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:16 PM

Well said Jail lol

• 4 Belfast // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:19 PM

I won’t be buying a home in optimisim valley. Maybe next summer when the prices come down.

I won’t be held to ransom.

• 5 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:21 PM

Well belfast it looks like prices are only going up at the minute. Best get in before ibiza purchases his holiday home.
    So anybody got more original guesses on our surpruse targets?

• 6 Graeme // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:22 PM

Jib, from previous.

Haidara has struggled to perform, he has been played all over. Why not take him out of the spotlight, let him recover his mojo?
    He doesn’t deserve the flak, he deserves a break, and then take his place as first choice LB.

Why screw him after what he has been through??

• 7 OneAlanShearer // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:23 PM

It wasn’t promised in the next 3 windows. We are yet to see who they sell. It is a good start. He needs to fully commit.

• 8 honest fan // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:28 PM

I like the sound of that Graeme

• 9 Belfast // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:28 PM

There will be none of that talk around here Jail.

• 10 Graeme // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:29 PM

OAS – it was stated that over the next 3 windows, we would seek to be top 8 and competing for domestic cupa and european footy!!

• 11 Mister Tuff // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:29 PM

Mr Tubbs OOT
    Pill poppers OOT

Trouble on the blog. They’re on the run.
    Release the hounds.
    High Five.

• 12 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:29 PM

Hear hear Jail ignore belfast he’s in Mike’s pocket now 🙂

• 13 tooneytunes // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:30 PM

What people forget to realise is that just about every premier league club are improving they’re teams so it will more than likely be as you were from last season unless there is further substantial signings ofcourse

• 14 Graeme // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:30 PM

* Cups

• 15 Munster Mag // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:30 PM

Bobbybee, lots of interesting stuff out of you today. Good to read. Lil, I didnt realise you were training Gaelic Football – tell me more? We Irish get around the place ( I appreciate you arent Irish ) . Hurling is the better game though – an incredible sport. Re mystery signing – my best guess is a prominent player from the Spanish or German leagues. Mind you, we have probably been linked with them already as we have been linked with so many . So 3 fine players signed so far and Steve was saying that he had “seen the plans” and was excited by them. He wasnt talking nonsense then. Our next signing could be serious. My best guess is an established, very well known player from Spain or Germany, who would be normally considered beyond NUFC. Good thing is, the signings we have made will make it easier to turn heads, and we obviously have the cash to compete on both fees and salaries. Top work Mr Charnley, keep it up.

• 16 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:30 PM

Mesut özil

• 17 voodoo85 // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:31 PM

PPB @5

some random names to throw out there:

Robin Knoche @ Wolfsburg
    Will Hughes @ Derby
    Leon Goretzka @ Schalke
    Viktor Fischer @ Ajax
    Kevin Volland @ Hoffenheim

• 18 Belfast // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:32 PM

You’re right Alan. I fear it’s needs must more than new era to be honest.

Next summer should tell you more.

• 19 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:32 PM

Tooney well that’s killed the party mood right there lol

• 20 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:33 PM

Voodoo you forgot

• 21 tooneytunes // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:34 PM

Sorry wasn’t meant that way just pointing out facts lol

• 22 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:35 PM

Voodoo exactly how much fifa you been playing? Haha

I say we’re getting de bruyne. Imagine!

• 23 honest fan // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:35 PM

Haidara is a good LB I think he’ll soon be see as a big talent this season I reckon he’ll be the one who shines that other clubs will try to buy come January

• 24 Belfast // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:36 PM

Tooney this is optimisim valley not realism Valley. Wash your mouth out.

• 25 Altamullan // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:37 PM

Apols Bobby, never had an original thought in my life, just passing the suggestion that had amused me most. Perhaps we could buy a few Mak’em stalwarts and just not play them…

• 26 Our Toon // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:38 PM

How did I start an argument with you? You started the argument with me and for no reason other than you still being miffed at this morning. Go back to the previous thread and read who put what, I didn’t even engage in a conversation with you.

I’ll agree to drop the debate or argument as you put it if you can tell me where McClaren says we have a surprise signing lined up in the statement below

“We’re forever working. People are mentioning this and that but believe you me, we have a lot of names that people have not got hold of yet. We have been close with them.”

Please point out where it says we have a surprise signing lined up!! I’ll shut up once you give me your answer or once anyone else can give me the answer!!

• 27 Noel Worst // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:38 PM

I love how everyone is getting all wild-eyed with speculation, the blog is bristling, no matter how fantastical it all may be.

Anyway, I’m away to have dreams about Susanna Hoffs. Expecting Mbmeba sightings tomorrow before the ‘big reveal’.

Howay! 😀

• 28 ShirebrookToon // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:41 PM

Tomas Muller 🙂

• 29 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:42 PM

Cheers munster mag. I’ve only started watching the irish football and hurling lately, since sky sports started showing it, and i have to say i love both of them. No rolling around squealing like a stuck pig with those lads is there? I wonder how many broken fingers there are in hurling? Would definitely like to see one of those games in person, they really get stuck into each other. Atmosphere must be wicked.

• 30 Our Toon // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:42 PM

From previous thread, sorry u missed it through the sheer disbelief of the bee in the bonnet of Bobby.

On McClaren yes I think he feels he has a point to prove especially in the prem, think it may have surprised him he couldn’t get a job on the top division after doing well with Twenty. It all bodes well for us though hopefully, cautiously optimistic we can get the desired outcome!!

• 31 Altamullan // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:42 PM

Did the surprise signing thing originate with a Chronicle reporter (Ryder)?

• 32 Altamullan // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:43 PM

Marcelino was apparently a cracking hurler…

• 33 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:46 PM

Did somebody say something or was my dog farting?

• 34 Altamullan // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:46 PM

Did his career no good at all, spent every spare moment down at Mallorca Shamrocks…

• 35 geordie157 // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:47 PM

The surprise is tielemans

• 36 Altamullan // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:47 PM

Fingers were wrecked.

• 37 Our Toon // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:50 PM

You lass was farting

• 38 Altamullan // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:51 PM

An 18 year old Belgian wouldn’t be much of a surprise. Whereas a 28 year old Englishman would be a shocker!

• 39 Ashton // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:51 PM

Anderlecht have registered his birth year as 1994 – hence his age of 21.

United are said to be relaxed about the controversy, and Mbemba has dismissed the allegations as “defamatory” and made up. “I have given evidence to Anderlecht to make sure they’re not taking any risks,” he has said of the controversy.

“I even passed scientific tests to determine my exact age. In Africa, when people do not have money, they are ready to invent anything to make money.”

This should settle it. Mbemba is 20.

• 40 Sazzer // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:53 PM

Let’s see what they come up with. Fischer, Knoche and Hughes have been linked at some point what I can remember.

And Kevin Volland brings back memories from 2012 when I was one of few mentioning him.

• 41 geordie157 // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:54 PM

Shawcross would be a nice surprise

• 42 Tsunki // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:54 PM

• 43 Altamullan // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:55 PM

Except 2012 interview on CNN site (posted t’other day) when Chancel apparently stated he was born in 1990.

• 44 Bobbybee // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:55 PM

Ner ner ner ner ner!

• 45 Sazzer // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:55 PM

• 46 Sazzer // Jul 22, 2015 at 11:56 PM

Tom Huddlestone it is.

• 47 Bobbybee // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:01 AM

Sorry lads, we’re all wrong. Apparently there is no surprise signing, it’s all a big mistake.

• 48 Sazzer // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:01 AM

According to The Sun, Middlesbrough have made a £14m move Blackburn striker Jordan Rhodes.

• 49 Our Toon // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:01 AM

Oh dear, Jamaica beating the US 2 nil at half time

• 50 Munster Mag // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:05 AM

Bobby, the hurling in particular is so good, and gets better as the championship progresses and the skills sharpen and better teams make it through. In fact I would encorage any sports fan on here to have a good look. There were two games ( Cork v Clare ) a couple of years ago and i have never seen a more skillful, fast or passionate game in any type of sport, anywhere in the world, ever. Not joking. At its best it is utterly remarkable.

• 51 bettyswallocks // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:05 AM

Most African players have been clocked. They don’t have a birth registry system as such.

The club are obviously happy to sign him so bring him on and let the revolution continue.

• 52 Ashton // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:05 AM

That article didn’t have direct quotes from chancel. It only says that “Chancel has previously said he was born in 1990”.

There is no article in which Mbemba SAYS he was born in 1990.

• 53 Our Toon // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:06 AM

I thought as much you can’t back your opinion up so have resorted to chatting your usual drivel to divert away from the fact you were bitter about this morning. Shouldn’t hold grudges someone of your apparent age should know that by now.

Tip: Try reading more than just a sensationalist headline, try reading the whole article and form an opinion based on the substance rather than booty chatter!!

• 54 Bobbybee // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:06 AM

Sazzer, i always wondered why no PL club snapped him up, he ‘s scored goals at every level he ‘s played at. You can’t teach that, it’s purely instinctive.

• 55 Munster Mag // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:06 AM

Bobby, you’ll be called a New Ager Dreamer or something if you continue with this optimism.

• 56 swemag // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:06 AM

It would be nice if Ashley used the might of Sports Direct in Toons favour, like offer a player a massive sponsor deal if he signs with Newcastle, I know it is unlikely, but one can dream.
    Ibra is being shopped around by his agent, while he is out of our league I would say, if Sports Direct offered him a sponsor deal or a few million pound for him to be some sort of poster boy for them.

Yes, lets all laugh at that dream. 🙂

• 57 Our Toon // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:07 AM

14m for Rhodes, seems alot but I suppose if he gets them promoted then it’ll be worth the outlay!!

• 58 Altamullan // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:07 AM

Didn’t Tom Huddlestone’s prospective 2013 transfer to the paladium of sh**te not fall through when a bone scan revealed he was really a 110 year old hobbit?

• 59 Bobbybee // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:08 AM

Jesus, my dog has wind tonight.

• 60 Ashton // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:10 AM

All this talk about his age was brought about by a Brazilian lawyer working for Porto in order to sign him for less.

He says that he gave evidence to Anderlecht and even had scientific testing and the club were happy about it.

I would rather believe the Belgian club and the player and our club then some dodgy Brazilian.

• 61 Altamullan // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:11 AM

Good journalistic shenanigans Ashton! I’m delighted he’s coming…gives me a chance to repay the pint he bought me in Bentleys circa 1988 🙂

• 62 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:11 AM

It would be interesting to see Charnley have a bone scan. I’ll bet it would show up no spine…

• 63 bettyswallocks // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:12 AM

Bobby……is she a big lass?

• 64 Bobbybee // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:18 AM

Munster, i’ve been called worse and i’m still alive! Sticks and stones eh? I’d love to see a game live, but the sky coverage ain’t too bad. I found the same true about ice hockey live as well. Nowt special on tv, but live, it’s well entertaining.

Altamullen, like the idea of buying all the mackems and just not playing them! 🙂

• 65 Bobbybee // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:22 AM

Betty, a spoiled slightly overweight jack russel as it happens. 😉

• 66 bettyswallocks // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:26 AM

Bobby……”…Perhaps she’s breaking wind to give you a clue.

• 67 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:26 AM

McClaren is giving the impression that the club is lining up at least one player who nobody has previously thought of or suggested? Mbemba’s name suddenly appeared out of nowhere. Now for another one out of left field, perhaps?

• 68 Altamullan // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:27 AM

Yup, think I start a PR consultancy and advise Cashley on this foolproof strategy to win over the Geordie nation: sign the better Mak’ems ( shouldn’t cost much) loan them out to Rangers reserves. Particularly DeFoe the MoFo: jammy get. Well done on the wink thingy btw.

• 69 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:29 AM

You’re thinking of Cattermole and the deal went ahead.

• 70 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:41 AM

McClaren says, “we have a lot of names that people have not got hold of yet.” If he’s not optimistic about these names, what’s he even mentioning it for? I’ve had an old Tesco receipt in my pocket for ages … so what?

• 71 Sazzer // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:43 AM

14 m is a lot of money for championship player but if money is not such an issue then he certainly he’s one of the best player that a Championship side can buy.

• 72 King Colback // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:45 AM

Taylan Antalyali
    is a new name doing the rounds

• 73 Sazzer // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:48 AM

The PL sides have alternatives in Europe to take into the equation.

• 74 Bobbybee // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:48 AM

Betty, the dog farting thing? I tried to make it plain to somebody in the most cystal clear language possible that i no longer wished to converse with them. Sadly, they failed to grasp such plain english and continued trying to carry it on by wittering away at me, despite the fact that i said don’t other, I’m done and walking away. You’d think that would’ve got through to them. But apparently not. Hence, every time he tries to carry it on, i refer to the dog farting, rather than go back on my word and reply to his inane ramblings.

• 75 Our Toon // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:49 AM

Good to hear from you buddy, some of the signings took a little longer than expected but we got em over the line. The names they have on the list will be in order of priority, granted we may or may not make a move for them now or in the future but the point I was trying to make was that he hasn’t said we’ll make a surprise signing buddy, but I can see where you are coming from on this

You think we’ll sign another CB or do you think he’ll look at another area of squad?

• 76 Bobbybee // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:53 AM

Altamulle, if you need a reference for your job application, I’ll willingly oblige. (Not bad for an old technophobe eh?) 😉

• 77 Bobbybee // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:55 AM

Betty, for ‘other’, read bother.

• 78 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:55 AM

I’d love to see us get a commanding CB and leader of men. I hope Lascelles surprises me. I’d like to see us get Austin and keep Cisse. I hope Cabella makes me eat my words.

• 79 Our Toon // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:56 AM

The individual doesn’t realise by referring to the dog thing he’s directly responding to the very thing he claims he won’t respond to. To not respond is to ignore completely, to respond no matter how jovial / immature the response….is still a response. I just wanted to prove that individual has the IQ level of a 2 year old and it’s quite evident in the response to the apparent non response!!

• 80 Sazzer // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:57 AM

King Colback
    It looked like one of those made up names. But he seem to be a cheap young goalscoring midfielder from Turkey.

• 81 Our Toon // Jul 23, 2015 at 12:59 AM

I have to say Cabella is someone I have berated on here time after time but I’m more than happy to eat humble pie if he kicks on and actually does well but I won’t hold my breath.

Commanding CB is a must, a leader, organiser who’s vocal. Can’t think of many within our price range but would love to see a Shawcross type. Going into the season I want us to go out and get a defensive midfielder as Tiote and Anita don’t fill me with great confidence. A winger and then maybe Austin

• 82 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 23, 2015 at 1:01 AM

Has anyone spotted the next Tony Adams in the making? Now if Carr could pull that one off …

• 83 King Colback // Jul 23, 2015 at 1:03 AM

Sazzer I thought that too
    Seems a decent prospect

• 84 Bobbybee // Jul 23, 2015 at 1:03 AM

Betty, sorry you got dragged into this mate, i was just trying to explain TO YOU. I won’t mention it again for fear of being called childish by someone who responded with ‘it’s you (sic) lass farting’. 😉

• 85 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 23, 2015 at 1:03 AM

I’d like to see Anita kick on this season. He showed in that massive game that he’s got something.

• 86 Our Toon // Jul 23, 2015 at 1:07 AM

You are always told to speak to people on a level they’ll able to understand you on. When someone talks about farting dogs and thinks it’s a mature way of conversing the only way they truly understand you is by lowering yourself to there level. Pointless being articulate and talking like an adult to someone with the mental capacity of a 2 year old….They just wouldn’t understand you!! Hence the response of “it was you lass”

• 87 Our Toon // Jul 23, 2015 at 1:11 AM

Anita will do well if we have alot of possession but I do fear in regards to what kind of protection he can give us. Will he solidify that midfield and put out fires or will he get outbattled. Hopefully as we get closer to the season we will see just how Mr McClaren aims to play games. I have to say I’m excited but still cautious after past 9 years under Ashley.

• 88 Sazzer // Jul 23, 2015 at 1:40 AM

King Colback
    Yes, and wierd one to be linked with if there is nothing in it. Then again nothing happened with those spanish kids Mere and Concha.

• 89 Bobbybee // Jul 23, 2015 at 1:59 AM

Ffs, what part of what i said did you fail to grasp. We will never agree, because you’re basically so full off yourself. For the last time, i have nothing to say to you, so why can’t your ego just accept that and move on? I said a dozen times, opinions are opinions and nobody is right or wrong to have theirs. For someone claiming to have such a high iq, you come across as pretty thick. Why do you have to keep wittering on when i’ve made it damn clear i don’t want to argue with you? You bore me to death and not letting this go only confirms what i think of you. Now, for the last time, I DON’T WANT TO TALK TO YOU. Nor do i want you to bother me. Our opinions are too far apart. Honestly, just let it go ffs. It’s always people who think too highly of themselves who have to have the final word. You think you talk sense, i think you witter utter b@11ocks. How thick do you have to be to carry on when somebody has already walked away? I honestly can’t make it any clearer. I don’t agree with you. You don’t agree with me, so once again, for the umpteenth time, let’s agree to disagree and leave it at that. Go and bother somebody else, because i am not interested in anything further you have to say. Although, i have no doubt your over inflated opinion of yourself will once again mean you’ll have to have the last word. Jesus christ, we’ve been here already. Go on, have the last word then and feel as smug as you want, i honestly don’t care. I have no desire to carry this on – I’m quickly losing the will to live to be absolutely frank. Get it over with then, let’s hear your mighty words of wisdom, but when you have, can we just agree to disagree and ignore each other for the rest of our lives? You’re one of those infuriating people who genuinely believe people want to listen to them and can never be wrong. You really couldn’t be further from the truth. Now, if i haven’t made myself clear that i have no interest in carrying this on, will somebody please explain to me how to make it any clearer? Not you, somebody who’s head ain’t so far up his own backside. Don’t bother me further and i guarantee you won’t hear from me again. Agreed?

• 90 Our Toon // Jul 23, 2015 at 2:51 AM

I don’t want to have the final say because I’d like to think no matter how different people’s opinions are on here they can come to some sort of understanding with each other and understand where each person is coming from….so hopefully we can discuss or perhaps engage in a debate at some point. Let’s not forget I never engaged you or asked for your opinion, you decided to argue with me not the other way around, for someone who wishes to walk away maybe you should ask yourself why you decided to have a go at me on the previous thread for no reason at all, lesson here is don’t start something you can’t finish.

I will however be the bigger person and say sorry to you if I offended you prior to your childish antics. It probably was childish of me to wind you up and to watch you bite even though you weren’t apparently responding to me. Smug people and people that are full of themselves don’t apologise and don’t admit they are ever wrong, something I don’t recall you doing. I’ve made my peace with you mate, we are all toon fans and I don’t have any ill feelings toward a fellow geordie. If you wish not to engage in conversations with individuals then it’s probably best for you to go to a private forum rather than a public domain like this.

Once again I apologise for offending you mate!! HWTL

• 91 expatmag // Jul 23, 2015 at 2:53 AM

Dear me

Whats going on between you two?

Take some chill pills, FFS

• 92 expatmag // Jul 23, 2015 at 2:57 AM

On a separate subject, I just looked at Liverpools attack and boy, do they have some options.

Benteke, Sturridge, Ings, Ogril, Lambert, Borini, Balotelli, Firminio, Coutinho, Llalana, Milner

And Brenda is still looking for more….greedy git

• 93 expatmag // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:07 AM

Being a very smug person myself, I would like to apologise to the whole blog, especially Mr. TUFF, for being right about everything such as:

Being a supercoach
    Living in God’s own country
    Having an IQ of an Oxford University professor
    Having the best sense of humour on the blog
    Advising all and sundry that Mr.Tuff is really Nick Sharkey, a former mackem centre forward and all round scumbag.

Of course, it is your decision on whether to take any if the above serious………however TUFF being a closet mackem is true, True, TRUE

• 94 Our Toon // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:09 AM

How ya doing fella, I’m still trying to work out exactly how it got to where it did. I checked the previous thread to see if I insulted him or her and it doesn’t look like I did so very bizarre.

On Liverpool, they have some serious options going forward but I think signing benetke says more about the lack of confidence is Sturridge and his fitness. Still though at 24 he’s a very good signing, could be a big year for Ibe as well now the Sterling’s moved on.

• 95 Our Toon // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:14 AM

Ahaha have all smug people done a uturn and are now apologists? Surely not!! Poor Mister Tuff ahahahaha

• 96 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:33 AM

Well it’s nice to see the blog is still frien-

*Reads ‘argument’*

Oh ermm, *chuckles*, never mind. 🙂

• 97 Magpie Season // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:36 AM

Looks like Janmaat is leading the poll to be captain.

Although I don’t think SM will take the captaincy away from Colo if he is to stay this season.

• 98 Magpie Season // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:37 AM

What about Southampton winning 10-0. After again selling their top players.

I swear, we should just get our scouts or Carr to spy on them.

• 99 expatmag // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:43 AM

Our Toon

Blogs shouldnt be taken seriously under any circumstances and I love a good wind up, especially if it involves me old mate TUFF…….lol

• 100 expatmag // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:48 AM

Our Toon

Doing fine. Just recovering from surgery so enjoying life here in beautiful Oz.

I would imagine Brenda is going to have yo offload a few starting with Lambert and Borini. Then Balotelli. That should raise 15 to 20 million back in their coffers.

In the meantime, I would imagine their wage bill to be horrendous.

• 101 expatmag // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:48 AM

I think he will give it to Colback.

• 102 King Colback // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:49 AM

MAgpie season they were a Dutch amateur side!

• 103 Our Toon // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:55 AM

Magpie season

Wouldn’t read to much into pre season friendlies chelsea lost to New York Red Bulls and they yank team rested key players apparently. Southampton do have a fella called clasie who I’m looking forward to seeing. Koeman is astute, think villa will go down though unless they spend big time.

Expat – it’s a blog mate we all have differing views, we are on here to offer out own opinions and to pick up whatever info we can from one another. I won’t change though and will converse with everyone, even those that don’t like me whether they like it or not.

• 104 Magpie Season // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:56 AM

Real Madrid v Man City tomorrow in MCG. Should be a cracker.

• 105 Magpie Season // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:58 AM

I would have thought that the vice-captain automatically becomes the captain?

So say if Colo left before the start of the season our captain for the season would then be either of the vice-captains Sissoko or De Jong, most likely the former.

• 106 Our Toon // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:58 AM

Surgery? For what buddy, nothing serious I hope. On a separate note, the ashes are set up nicely though think the Aussies will take it easily.

Anyone watching the mexico game, it’s all kicking off

• 107 Magpie Season // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:59 AM

Our Toon,

Yeah mate things not looking good in the midlands, with football & England losing the 3rd Ashes test there in a weeks time. 😉

• 108 remember69 // Jul 23, 2015 at 4:01 AM

Ashley IN!!!

• 109 Our Toon // Jul 23, 2015 at 4:07 AM

Magpie Season

Ahahaha it’ll be interesting to see what kind of wicket it is at Edgbaston, your lads ripped through us in the last test.

• 110 King Colback // Jul 23, 2015 at 4:13 AM

Our Toon
    I think bringing Jonny Bairstow could be a masterstroke from the England selectors, I reckon it will be a much closer test

• 111 Our Toon // Jul 23, 2015 at 4:24 AM

Bairstow has done well in the county championship hopefully he carries that into the 3rd test but he will be up against Starc and Johnson….proper pace

• 112 expatmag // Jul 23, 2015 at 4:39 AM

Our Toon

I had a melanoma cut out of my chest about 4 weeks ago and it us healing nicely now. Took a while mind you.

Yes. It should be a good game but I will be happy to watch it at home on the big screen, in front if a roaring fire with a nice glass of Hunter Valley red

• 113 Sydney Toon // Jul 23, 2015 at 5:48 AM

I have a feeling that we could see the following:

Sam Byram
    Will Hughes
    Xherden Shaqiri
    Andros Townsend

From reading between the lines, we could perhaps see a record signing but perhaps a little optimistic. Only $27m spent from the $60m kitty means there is room to play with. I dont foresee many players sold, only loaned out with a recall clause.

• 114 King Colback // Jul 23, 2015 at 6:15 AM

Interesting article from the chronic

• 115 jimmysmith // Jul 23, 2015 at 6:17 AM

It’s a very good looking squad even now, in conjunction with what looks like a good coaching set up. I thought last seasons squad wasn’t bad, going in to the season, undermined terribly by the unfathomable injury list and Pardews untimely departure. But Cabella and Rivierre underperformed, that is certainly true, and Santon has been sold, without replacement so far. If those two can find their form and Haidarra steps up, and of course we get more from Aarons and DeJong then this is a very decent competive unit, or “family” to use McClarens term. We could arguably do with an accomplished left back, and possibly another quality winger and striker, although sticking with what we have, and giving it a chance to prove itself wouldn’t be too hard to swallow.

• 116 BandB // Jul 23, 2015 at 6:37 AM

I’m not sure I agree that it is a very good looking squad just yet.
    Obviously Mitrovic has to go in along with other potential signings.
    But others may leave. And injuries are always a particular problem for us.
    While it would be perfectly reasonable to argue that the US tour does not reflect the true state of our squad, it would be rash to rule out that it perhaps might. There are only so many excuses one can make for being 4-1 down to a very lowly side, and it is interesting that McClaren himself didn’t push them. Wherein lies some hope.

• 117 Altamullan // Jul 23, 2015 at 6:45 AM

My thoughts exactly Jimmy, great name btw ‘Jinky’ my first (partial) memory of a favourite player- always who I’d pretend to be when running around Felling bankies.

• 118 BandB // Jul 23, 2015 at 6:49 AM

Going into a season, I would prefer it if McClaren bases his strategy on a realistic assessment rather than an optimistic one.
    Optimism is lovely. It doesn’t win matches when the season starts.
    We need more players, and I hope the club presses on and brings them in as it seems to be planning.

• 119 beermonkey // Jul 23, 2015 at 6:56 AM

do you think we would have gotten these players if pards had still been here

• 120 BandB // Jul 23, 2015 at 6:58 AM

Last season’s squad may not have been bad on paper.
    But in reality….

Couldn’t get a goal while shipping them by the bucketload. New players and better coaching can stop that.
    Not fans feeling a fuzzy-glow.

• 121 Ian Toon // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:02 AM

The Times are reporting that we’ve put in a new bid for Thauvin. With Marseille having rejected a bid of £11 million plus Cabella on loan.

• 122 BandB // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:06 AM

I don’t know. I never much liked the look of the players Pardew did.
    He seemed to have strong ideas about what made a good footballer, and saw that in some strange players.
    We brought in some good players under Pardew, though he himself was known to suggest he didn’t think much of some of them. He described the Debuchy/ Sissoko intake as “no better than what I had” a month or so later and persisted with James Perch.
    I don’t have an opinion on whether Ashley trusts him more with signings, as some have suggested, as I have no evidence on which to base that conclusion.

• 123 Altamullan // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:07 AM

Carr/club do seem hugely into Thauvin. Looks/sounds a class act and have to trust their judgement.

• 124 toonincheek // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:11 AM

I would expect Thauvin, if we get him, to take a year to “settle” into the PL.
    Same as Cabella, who improved during the season (technically and attitude).

• 125 BandB // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:13 AM

You don’t HAVE to. You can have an opinion. Powerful people make stupid mistakes all the time.
    Surely if their judgement was entirely trustworthy they wouldn’t offering Cabella as part of an exchange deal a year after he was signed.
    And that Argentinian mate of Colo’s? There was an excellent spot.

• 126 Altamullan // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:14 AM

‘If’ we got Thauvin, do you think Sissoko (sale) would be gone as well as Cabella(loan)? Surely (purely on basis of my own managerial experience, ahem – play station only, of course) we’d be getting to point of needing to offload salary wise.

• 127 Jail for Ashley // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:18 AM

People are saying Pardew wasn’t trusted with signings and that Mikey was waiting for McLaren to release the cheque book because it fits in with what they want to believe. The reality was that Pardew was here for another five years at least if he chose, that’s a long time to persist with somebody you don’t trust or believe that they cant do their job properly.

• 128 Ian Toon // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:18 AM

– Lennon at Spurs , Everton ( on loan for 4 months last season) have refused to meet Levy’s price of £9 million. We’re said to be interested and that Levy could well settle for £7 million.

• 129 Altamullan // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:18 AM

Well BB, it is all about probability. More knowledge + absence of intrusive self-importance (any superstar managers spring to mind) = better judgement = less chance of getting a wrong ‘un. I am full of opinions. I am also fully aware of how much I don’t know.

• 130 expatmag // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:20 AM

Lets be honest here.

Any player in their first season at the club from a foreign country would struggle to perform last year under both Pardew and Carver.

I saw little or no evidence of a system in place that the players could adapt to, let alone perform to. Even the very basics of the game of passing movement marking set pieces etc. were totally neglected by these dinosaurs. No wonder they got sacked/resigned.

Under a decent experienced tactical coach like McLaren, I certainly wouldnt write off Cabella Riviere Obertan etc yet.

• 131 cyprus // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:22 AM

When Mbemba scores we should sing ‘Happy Birthday’, as, having 4 birthdays, it’s very likely that that day will actually be his birthday.

Welcome Mbemba, CL days ahead – unless we have to face USA-level teams 🙂

• 132 Jib // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:22 AM

Fortunately McClaran doesn’t have a “past” at the club so we can leave the wailing and gnashing of teeth about what happened last season to those who are really good at it .

Looking forward I think we may have the wing back system forced upon us early doors until the defensive situation vis a vis injuries and replacements is resolved.

• 133 toonincheek // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:22 AM

Even if we do have a ‘surprise’ signing to look forward to :-

Doesn’t have to be a player – could be back room;

Doesn’t have to be a ‘nice’ surprise!

• 134 Terry // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:22 AM

I’m as excited as most about these new signings but who on here can say they have seen enough of their games to give me more reassurance as I’m always the glass half empty person

• 135 cyprus // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:24 AM

That’s impossible to know. For what it’s worth, I think he was getting the boot at the end of the season, along with Carves et al.

• 136 BandB // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:24 AM

Neither would I.
    The club will be the ultimate arbiters of whether he’s done well enough.
    We’ll know if he goes out in some capacity whether they rate his chances of coming good.
    Good to hear you are recovering well.

• 137 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:24 AM

I agree we should not write off Cabella and Riviere as it was there first season in the premiership – half under the ‘best coach’ in the premiership.
    and quite often it takes players a season to adapt to the different style pace of the premiership. Obertan think he has had enough seasons to prove himself – there is something there but various coaches can’t seem to tap into it

• 138 nightfa11 // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:24 AM

1st lineup

janmaat colo abdennour haidara
    winjadlum colback
    januzaj SDJ aarons

2nd lineup

mbema taylor lescalles dummet
    sissoko anita
    dutchKid perez cabella
    backup ST

+ abeid, woodman , kemen

thats a squad of 25 – which is enough, so we could

sell: wili, goufrann, rivi, marveaux, obertan, tiote, cisse, elliot, vuckic

buy: abdennour, januzaj, dutch kid, and a ST who will be ok with being a backup

9 players out, 4 in

• 139 Altamullan // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:26 AM

Nice one Cyprus; so far we’ve got a few suggestions for Mbemba:
    Tune of La Bamba, Batman tune, and wonderfully random Happy Birthday.
    Anyone heard/ feeling creative re Mitro or Gini?

• 140 Lindisfarne // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:26 AM

Ian Cathro
    He’s got to be
    Ian Cathro
    He’s got to be big and strong
    enough to Toon me on
    He’s got to have, big blue eyes
    Be able to satisfy
    He’s got to be big and strong
    enough to Toon me on

• 141 BandB // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:28 AM

Is there a little dance to go with that?

• 142 Jail for Ashley // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:30 AM

You’re 100% correct, we’ll never know. Although an eight year deal and the fact that Carver wasn’t sacked on the Monday morning after the W Ham would suggest to me otherwise. Although that’s just my opinion.

• 143 Ian Toon // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:30 AM

Jib- Do you mean looking forward. With a clean slate and an assessment based on what we know do? If so then I am with you.

• 144 Altamullan // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:34 AM

Wijnaldum scans onto Solano/Viera song: not very original, but might stick with good words. Keep trying to do something with Why-Aye-Man, but haven’t got past a monastic chant of: Wij-nail-dum…Wi-aye-man!: wi-aye-man…wij-nal-dum…repeat until lose will…

• 145 Derek // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:34 AM

It seems there are a lot of fans who are counting their chickens before they’ve hatched.

Mitrovic – Unproven in EPL
    Wijnaldum – Unproven in EPL
    Siem DeJong – Unproven in EPL
    Aarons – Unproven in EPL
    Mbemba – Unproven in EPL
    Lascelles – Unproven in EPL
    Darlow – Unproven in EPL
    Riviere – Needs time to improve
    Cabella – Needs time to improve
    Haidara – Needs time to improve
    Dummett – Needs time to improve

Colo, Saylor, Willo, Gouffran, Marveaux and Obertan – Not good enough and should be off.

Not saying we have a bad squad. Not saying we have a good squad either, but time will tell.

There is a good chance some of the above players will not have what it takes to perform at a Premier League level, even if they look great on paper and on Youtube. It may or may not be enough to do well, but in my opinion we definitely need to strengthen our central defence to be considered a good squad.

• 146 Jail for Ashley // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:34 AM

• 147 Altamullan // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:41 AM

Nice one Holy Isle! Don’t think we’ve had a song about a coach before ( who’s not the manager/head coach). Anyone recall one?

• 148 Jail for Ashley // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:42 AM

I think even Google jeff would struggle to find a PL CB pairing that have conceded more goals between them in the history of the PL perhaps even in the world than Collocini and Williamson.

• 149 deeps // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:43 AM

General manager Van Holsbeeck expects Mbemba’s #NUFC switch to be finalised soon (Friday) & aims to sign 2 new players (ST/CB). #rsca

• 150 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:43 AM

I saw a decent one on twitter for Mitro, can’t take any credit;

“Mitro is a geordie, he comes from Anderlecht,
    He worships Alan Shearer and shops in Sports Direct,
    He f£$%ing hates the mackems and hates the bork too,
    And if you cut him open, he’s black and white right through”

• 151 Jib // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:46 AM

I expect us to be shocked by some of the good performances McClaren will get from players that are not particularly rated by the fans at the moment .

This is an interesting read

Remember Mclaren’s formative years as a manager were under Ferguson.

• 152 Altamullan // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:46 AM

Think Lindy’s words, celebrated via the medium of dance, would have to include a fluttery flirtatiousness not normally seen in footy grounds: step forward you confident heterosexuals (and all) we’re always up for a change in the toon!

• 153 Altamullan // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:48 AM

Liking it Lil, I reckon if you get it going you’ve got part ownership!

• 154 Jib // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:49 AM

When your song says Mitro hates the Bork
    Is that the Icelandic songstress or the enemy of the crew of the starship Enterprise ?

• 155 stan anderson // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:49 AM

Let the good times begin,?
    Hope it is about to happen,before i go to meet the maker.
    60 long years waiting for it to begin.
    Ashley OOT.???????

• 156 Derek // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:50 AM

Think he’d have to turn off the “safe search” on google to see men getting beaten more than Colo and Willo.. and that’s not something I’d recommend doing.

• 157 John Tudor // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:50 AM

jail lmto

• 158 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:52 AM

Who in particular are you expecting him to turn around? There are some that might – Cabella possibly, although missing pre season is a huge blow for him. Anita will do far better under McClaren. Colo as well perhaps, but it will depend on who he plays alongside to a great extent.

Other than that, I don’t see too many first team squad members improving greatly, some just won’t fit in to the style either. Doesn’t mean they have got worse, just MCClaren’s style has the see’s them put into the position Anita was in under Pardew.

• 159 Altamullan // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:52 AM

I read some Anderlecht fans referring to Mitrovic as killer, I’ll check out Killers tunes/potential words.

• 160 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:53 AM

Ha, that should be Boro…

• 161 Jib // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:53 AM

Tsunki and me are the smiley kings buddy 😎 OK

• 162 John Tudor // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:55 AM

• 163 Jib // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:57 AM

John Tudor
    artistic licence

• 164 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 23, 2015 at 7:58 AM

Then there are others who are lost causes and should be shipped out asap.

• 165 Altamullan // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:01 AM

Done it! Prepare yourself for greatness…

• 166 Altamullan // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:03 AM

It could be one of those Kennedy/ Princess Diana moments, check where you are, do you want to remember this place for life…

• 167 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:04 AM

IF Ashley has indeed changed tack (give it minimum 18months before I am convinced), he may have had this planned all along, I highly doubt it mind. Far more likely that a number of things all came together to make him splash out this summer.

One thing that was mentioned a while back, but hasn’t been recently could be a factor. He is fairly spiteful if he doesn’t get his own way. I remember reading something from a guy who claimed to know someone who knew Ashley. He said that if Rangers succeeded in kicking him out of power he would spend big on Newcastle to spite Rangers fans and show them what they are missing.

I didn’t pay much attention at the time, as I rarely do when a friend of a friend who knows the uncle of a friend of….etc. But maybe that is also a contributing factor.

Not that we will ever know for certain what caused it, or to the extent the contributing factors had were of influence.

• 168 Jib // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:04 AM

I just know you are going to give me a big raspberry , but here goes …….
    I know he’s 31 and set in his ways but Mike Williamson gives me the impression of a guy that is a 100 percenter who just needs some direction and decent coaching…..
    dons crash helmet and crouches under table.

• 169 Altamullan // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:05 AM

To the tune of Mr Brightside (Killers)… Incorporating LILO and Jib’s ‘artistic’ observations….

• 170 Altamullan // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:06 AM

He’s coming out on the pitch
    We’re going to be just fine
    He’s hates Icelandic screeching
    He’s Wearing no.9
    We’ve got mite on wor side!!

• 171 sparky55 // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:11 AM

Great Mitrovic ditty…hope we get to hear that one sometime soon.

re more signings I don’t think Maclaren would say that without any basis of truth behind it but anymore coming in must surely mean we have people going out the other side of the revolving door

My favourites for an early departure are

Sissiko (don’t trust a word he says about being happy to say)
    Cisse…to many rumblings about a Qatar move
    Colo…sooner the better
    Saylor….5 years too late but better late than never
    Cabella on loan…Ashley paid too much for him to sell straight away and his value has halved under the stewardship of Pardew so a loan spell back in France the only real option
    Vukic…not quite good enough
    Ferguson…shame he didn’t live up to his early promise
    Obertan…no words necessary

I would say the signings Maclaren has referred to is a another quality centre back, another quality striker and another young promising midfielder

• 172 Bobbybee // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:22 AM

Our toon, if that apology is genuine, i’ll accept it and reciprocate. You need to realise that opinions are a personal thing. You came on yesterday and immediately tried to relight a heated discussion between myself and – lil, i believe? I asked you to leave it, but you kept chipping. Discusion is why I come on here and other blogs, but discussion is not petty arguments. It appeared that whatever i said, you just went totally opposite just for arguments sake and not only is that annoying, it’s pretty childish. I don’t want that sort of discussion, if that’s what it’s called. People older than yourself, who’ve suported the club through some genuinely bad times, travelled to some really gopping grounds in the process – wrexham, Hereford etc and so forth, fought their way into, out of, and all around the old den and ninnian park to name just two, ran the rat run at the boro – things you’ll never understand because it’s all changed now – just for an undying love of NUFC, kind of take offence when they get told their loyalty, for continuing that support, is supporting the fat man’s regime and that we are part of the problem. It is extremely offensive. If we were at the bottom of the conference, I’d still be there. I’ve been one of 8-9k in SJP when the chips really were down, because for me, no matter how bad it gets – and trust me, this ain’t nothing like – whilst there’s eleven men on that pitch representing my beloved club in the famous B&W, I will give them my support. End of argument. Good times come and go, but imo real fans stay regardless, and stuff the politics. That’s my opinion and NOBODY will change it. When we say Newcastle till we die, we mean it. I know you think otherwise and that’s your opinion. One opinion is no less valid than the other, it’s a personal choice. The problems at Newcastle are down to one man, and it ain’t me! SJH apart, we’ve had a string of owners throughout my life who have took more out than they’ve put in, but I stuck with my loyalty despite them. I won’t let one man come between me and my love, not then, not now, not ever. I support the team, despite the regime. Now, in my opinion, I’m right. In yours, you’re right. That’s when we need to agree to disagree. I got the impression you just wanted to disagree on everything I said, because our opinions clash. I’m too old for that matey, and I won’t try to change your opinion just because i think you’re wrong and hell will freeze over before i change mine!! I’ll be there till the day i peg out, regardless of who owns the club. I respect your opinion and if you can respect mine, and not just argue for the sake of it, then fine. Younger fans need to realise our loyalty has been hard earned, through far worse than this and i wear mine with a passionate pride and i know others do too. Apology accepted. Apology returned. Time to move on.

• 173 Bobbybee // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:31 AM

Altamullen. You’ve seen Mitrovic’s goal celebration? Where he uses a rather suggestive gesture. How about
    ‘He scores a goal,
    he licks his bitch,
    it’s alexander, Mitrovic!’
    Mmm, maybe not 🙂

• 174 Altamullan // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:45 AM

Lol, I’m really hoping he drops that Bobby. It was hard enough to take my son’s phase of doing the Rooney knock-out celebration every time he scored. Mit’s V-lick…doesn’t bear thinking about.

previous post: Steve McClaren – Some Surprises On The Way