McClaren Praises His Magnificent Back Room Staff

It’s obvious that Steve McClaren oozes leadership in everything he does, and he gets people right behind him as he leads the way to make Newcastle into a great club again, who challenge for honors again in England.

That’s what leadership is all about – selling your vision and your methods of achieving it – and have people follow you and participate in making it all real – because you cannot do it all by yourself.

Paul simpson Steve McClaren

Paul Simpson and Steve McClaren in conference

From what we are starting to hear from the players, the training sessions are something to see and hopefully Steve will have an open training session soon so fans – and the youngsters on their school break – can go and see them in  action.

There are of course a lot of things that are needed to support a 25 man squad on tour and back in Newcastle too.

Steve today has gone out of his way to praise the backroom staff at Newcastle:

“We don’t realise the amount of work that goes on behind the scenes.” “The staff from day one have been absolutely magnificent.”

“They’ve taken on board what we have been doing.” “The work they do behind the scenes to make it so smooth for the players, we take for granted.”

“But there’s a lot of work.” “The medical team, the masseurs, the kit men and the coaches make it an easier trip.”

“I have to credit the players and staff.”

Steve McClaren is raising the tone and the standards at Newcastle, and tomorrow he will meet Aleksandar Mitrovic and (hopefully) Chancel Mbemba, as the two new players who have arrived at Newcastle in the last four days.

It will be good to hear what the head coach has to say.

• swemag

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:24 AM

Ashley what?!

• archaeomag

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:28 AM

I am optimistic that with all this extra coaching and tactical input that we will eventually be able to score from a corner at least once this season, that would be a tremendous achievement which would help define the whole season. .

• Bambams

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Just beat the mackems. ….

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:33 AM

SM had praised his team, and, unlike percy, he did it without “paying tribute to himself”!

• toon22

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:34 AM

Would be nice for us to not just lump it to Willo at the back post,we did this even when he wasnt playing.

• Altamullan

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:39 AM

I’ve just been researching about Rudiger (Stuttgart CB, and German international). He does look ideal, but we’ve been linked for a year or so, so not sure if he fits the surprise/under the radar bracket. Would love it if he was next eight figure signing.

• nut meg

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:41 AM

YCMIU
    You beat me to it,almost word for word. lol

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Haha

Looks like i just nut megged nut meg 😀

Altamullan

“Stiffy for the arse”… never thought of it like that. Thanks for the dubious image 😀

• sparky55

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Stuart No 9 from a few strings ago….shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 🙂

• croftus5678

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:44 AM

could do with a tasty right winger to replace sissoko imo as even obertan did better than him against portland.

• 2_goal_tino

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Archaeo- hopefully not just create chances from set pieces but also be able to actually stop conceeding from every corner.

• Whumpie

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:47 AM

Doom-monger alert!

Sorry, but right now I feel like the kid shouting about the naked Emperor.

I’m not saying that the club won’t go on to do what’s actually needed – BUT THEY HAVEN’T DONE ANYTHING LIKE IT YET!

Yesterday morning we played without a single recognised centre-back. Not because the gaffer wanted to try other players in different positions, but because HE DIDN’T HAVE ANY CENTRE BACKS!

We shipped four goals against a youth version of a USA club!

To me all this still feels a bit like a con. Ashley’s surprise speech, a couple of marquee signings (well, by Ashley’s standards) and suddenly blogs are full of praises for the revolution.

“So here’s to the new boss; he’s the same as the old boss”

I hope we get Mbemba. But even then we’ll struggle next season unless we get another THREE defenders.

Top eight is a pipedream right now – let alone “winning something”. This club has a long way to go before I think it’s doing anything more than staving off a fan revolt and aiming for more mid-table advertising for Ashley’s chav shops.

Come on NUFC – prove me wrong!

• Magpie Season

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Toon22,

1 goal in 150 appearances. Sure would be nice not to.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:52 AM

whumpie

don’t kill the mood mate. The sun is shining, just go with the flow

If rudiger comes I don’t know what I’d do!!!!!

• cyprus

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Whumpie,
    Cheer up mate.
    There’ll be plenty of setbacks, so we’ll all get our chance to complain. For now, this has to be our best window ever (check the numbers if you doubt that).
    Wonder who we’ll be playing first round CL…

• nut meg

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:54 AM

YCMIU
    Aye you at that bonny lad, a dip of the shoulder,a nut meg and WHOOSH…you were gone…well played he said shaking his head.

• Offkey

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Whumpie – I think you’re right to a certain extent. I dont know the exact figures but I think we’re just spending money we have raised through player sales, cutting back the squad e.g. loaning players and saving wages etc. I see investment in players from the club but no investment in the club.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:59 AM

Nut meg

To be fair, we were probably not the only ones thinking it.

• cyprus

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:00 AM

This is what I wrote more than a month ago:

“cyprus // Jun 27, 2015 at 2:47 PM

Buy 5 or 6 of these ‘maybe’ players. By all means. But,
    2 marquee signings as well are needed.”

Half of that is done, maybe we’ll get 3 top players and 1 or 2 ‘maybes’. I mean, that was the ideal and we’re pretty ok on that count.

• barkel

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:01 AM

Whumpie

cheer up mate, THE SEASON HASN’T STARTED YET, we still have a clean sheet and a big fat zero in the losses column.

sure WE HAVEN’T GOTTEN A NEW CB/LB/RB yet but we have made a couple of good signings, 3rd & 4th most expensive players we’ve ever bought too.

WE DO HAVE a new coaching team so that’s a plus, they’ve got crazy ideas like, TRAINING WITH A FOOTBALL.

There’s still time to enjoy a few more rumours and possible reinforcements. WE WILL DEFINITELY sign one more player.

No need upsetting yourself until at least 9th of August.

• Bambams

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:01 AM

Whumpie

Fella we still have time, however I share your worries !

I still think we will get another striker AND another CB however I think the club have already ‘agreed’ terms with our targets they are just playing cat and mouse with their current clubs to get the price down.

A lad from down south I met two weeks ago is a QPR fan and he was adamant Austin is Toon bound just waiting for QPR to realise in the last few days in window to take our offer rather than lose millions .

It’s got credence. ..It’s the Newcastle way.

Don’t panic Mr Mannering. ….

Well not yet !

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:03 AM

bobbybee,
    Well said on Willo on the previous thread.

• switch365

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:06 AM

New CB’s this window Mbemba and Rüdiger would be not just a step up, but a giant leap up in ability from Colo and Willo.
    Though I must admit I would rather have us go all out to get Abdennour, even forsaking any further additions this window.
    Get them bedded-in and then add 1 or 2 to aid in the big push in Jan.
    You’ve got to think that McClaren has long term targets which are simply out of reach until he turns this club around.
    We can’t match the big boys in pulling power without CL, but we can begin closing the gap.

• archaeomag

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Whumpie
    Defenders?
    Maybe it marks a return to ” as long as we score more than the opposition ….”

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Jack Harper joins Brighton, one to keep an eye on next season. Has great potential if it is nurtured properly, and too many Galactico’s in the way at Real Madrid. Good move for the lad.

Any news on that kid Callum Douglas that was on trial? Did we sign him, or send him back to Spain?

• Blofal

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:09 AM

I was worried a few weeks ago before we had signed anybody.

But Wijnaldum and Mitrovic are two top players and Mbemba is reportedly a very good centre back too.

On top of that we are still reportedly going hard for Austin and Thauvin whilst still lining up bids for Rudiger and Matip.

And both the Chronicle a week ago and now McClaren have said we would be surprised at who else we are targeting that the media has not picked up on. Rumoured to be a marquee signing (possibly Shaquiri).

I admit to now having hope. But we’ll see.

• Whumpie

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:12 AM

Fair enough – but all I’m saying is that we’re celebrating WAY too early. We’ve spent just, what? £27M? In THREE windows? On TWO players?

That’s still absolutely pathetic for a club that claims to be aiming to win something. My concern is that Ashley is playing the Toon Army like a fiddle right now. We’ll see Mbemba and perhaps a couple of other £2-3M punts and go up against mid-table teams who have been building steadily for years.

So while I’m very buzzed about our newbies, I am annoyed at some of the headlines… like “Ashley’s May Be Right – Newcastle Starting To Make Their Own Luck”.

Did you know that the word “gullible” isn’t in the dictionary?

• Whumpie

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:13 AM

(For what it’s worth I’m trying hard to suppress excitement at the idea that we will see those other players. If we do, I’ll be bouncing off the walls…)

• Blofal

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:15 AM

I know this is childish but just imagine…

———————Krul
    Janmaat – Rudiger – Mbemba – Haidara
    Sissoko———Wijnaldum——-Colback
    Shaqiri———-Mitrovic——–Aarons

Bench: Austin, Perez, DeJong, Dummet, Tiote, Coloccini, Darlow

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:18 AM

Blofal,
    Perfectly plausible and affordable.

• Whumpie

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Blofal – now THAT is a nice 11 🙂

• Whumpie

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:20 AM

What’s Rudiger expected to cost?

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Blofal,
    No Anita, I think I’d have him instead of Colback. And whose your captain there..

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Rudiger missed a large part of last season injured I think, was it a knee problem? I know he is going to miss the start of the season after a knee op, is it to correct the previous issue?

Anyway, if we do sign him, Mark Kopfler has a ready made song for them to play over the tannoy!

• Altamullan

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Apparently Ashley started his own business as he could never quite get a job offer. A forthcoming biography ( by Roger Mellie…) includes the following reminiscence of his first interview.
    Interviewer: Tell me about your bad points Michael what is your worst quality?
    MA: honesty
    Interviewer: Come-come ( it was a long time ago…) I don’t think that qualifies as a bad point.
    MA: I don’t give a f**k about what you think!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Knopfler*

• jayphoto

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:23 AM

We won’t sign a better player in this window than Mbemba. Seems to have everything. Widely regarded by a lot of Journos as the best player in Belgium last year over mitrovic, tielemens and Praet.
    Looked a player in the champions league

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:24 AM

Blofal,
    Replace Sissoko and we are cooking. Maybe Haidara too, although I think he will get better in time.

• barkel

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:24 AM

Whumpie

Fair point, there is a bit of over excitement but would you prefer to go back to the way the blog was in April/May?

Blofal
    Do you think the club are going to spend 12-15million on a player like Austin to have him on the bench? I like your optimism but I can’t really see it happening

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:25 AM

Competition for places, what a strange thought.