The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren Wants Classy Winger – But Cabella Going Nowhere

9:20 am, Thursday, July 23rd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 30 Comments

Newcastle’s pursuit for Florian Thauvin of Marseilles is ongoing and seemingly relentless,  as Newcastle’s head coach Steve McClaren sees him as an important player for Newcastle in the future, and McClaren is a big admirer of the French U21 International (10 games 7 goals).

And given we know chief scout Graham Carr has kept tabs on him for three years, then when both  men are keen on a player there’s a very good likelihood we will get him.

Newcastle have already had one bud rebuffed by Marseilles who don’t want to sell Florian since they have already lost Andre Ayew, Andre-Pierre Gignac and Dimitri Payet this summer.

florian thauvin

Florian Thauvin – Newcastle till want him

Thauvin cost Marseilles €15M (£10.5M) when signed from Lille in the summer of 2013 and Newcastle are willing to match that offer and exceed it, and they will keep trying to get this player into the club over the six weeks left of the transfer window.

But the news that Remy Cabella will be offered in part exchange was always a non-starter because Remy has had only one season in England, and though he struggled, Steve McClaren wants to take a good look at him and see if we he can get the very best out of the likable and talented young Frenchman.

Remy Cabella is certainly not a lost cause at Newcastle and could still come good.

And the fact that he is injured and possibly out for two months makes any deal difficult in the summer in any case.

Newcastle have done well so far in this transfer window,  but there are still some big signings planned,  with one of them being a top class center-back.

And another is Florian Thauvin, because Steve McClaren wants him at the club and the head coach already seems to be having a big say in the Newcastle transfers this summer.

From what we can tell,  that seems to be turning out very nicely.

Tags: Financials · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Remy Cabella · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

30 responses so far ↓

• 1 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:22 AM

Sorry repost..

Regarding ‘surprise signing’ Ryder speaks of.

We were talking last week about the amount of non-EU players the team currently (potentially) has:

Before we even sign anymore non-EUs you’d think one or two will be on their way out as I’m sure you’re only allowed 4 or 5?

Just a note for people who are trying to guess who the unnamed players are that’s all…

Noticed He Will Rise mentioned Nastasic and obviously he’s Serb so that would be another to the list. I’m fairly sure any further signings would be European for this point alone.

• 2 JDdubai // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:29 AM

Im sure coloccini has a dual passport, Italian background.

Also Good will never play for the first team so no issue there.

Tiote and Cisse in our long term plans, and Abeid was born in France I think.

So I dont see a big issue here with another, could only really see Mitrovic and Mbemba being first choice this season, or certainly from next summer.

• 3 JDdubai // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:29 AM

* I dont see Cisse and Tiote in our long term plans, Cisse maybe not even next season.

• 4 Jib // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:30 AM

We WILL get Thauvin
    Marseilles need the Nelson Eddies quickly
    Every other player they have sold is chuckied up.
    They have the “Les gens de l’impôt sur le gouvernement” (taxman to you and I ) breathing down their necks

• 5 Derek // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:31 AM

While some might think otherwise, I’m not convinced Ashley’s mini spending spree (or as some say complete turnaround) is going to eventuate to more than one more quality signing.

For that reason I hope the next signing is a CB rather than a RW because that should be our number 1 priority.

• 6 sparky55 // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:32 AM

If the non EU quota is as above (no idea how that works so happy to take the above as gospel), then Douglas I would think has to be a possibility, so to an english striker with premiership experience, and looks like Maclraen is chasing Thauvin very hard unless of course some classic transfer window misdirection

• 7 jayphoto // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:36 AM

Coloccini definitely has dual italian nationality! Abeid is french of Algerian descent so classes as european. Good won’t play. Cisse will likely be sold if we sign another striker and Im pretty sure Tiote is approaching the duration in the UK where you can take up a british passport!
    Does that rule still stand anyway? Sounds like a breach of EU employment law

• 8 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:36 AM

Yeah, Abeid has dual nationality so there is no issue with him, and Colo is dual with Italian, although dubious as to how proper it is, was largely pushed through just to allow the transfer to AC Milan when he was young.

• 9 2_goal_tino // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:38 AM

@lewSpi- there is no limit to non-EU players! The FA and Home Office hve made the restrictions on players getting a visa tougher but there is no limit in place on the number of non-EU players.

Besides this Abeid is a French citizen having been born and raised there and Colo has an Italian passport like so many Argentinians so neither of them are officially non-EU

• 10 sparky55 // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:38 AM

I think Tiote’s previous connection with Maclaren means he will stay another year unless he’s getting near the end of his contract.

Just can’t get rid of the feeling Ashley will want to balance the books and with tiote and Cisse being such high earners and still of some transfer value, I think they’ll both be sacrificed to balance the books

• 11 Yellow Belly // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:39 AM

More I read the more I think it will be Sofiane Feghouli who is a classy winger and can play on either wing and Cathro will know him well, born in France and only a year left on his contract.

• 12 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:41 AM

I’m completely stabbing in the dark, just know we were talking about it last week so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Do you not take the nationality of the national team you’ve played for?

As in I know Abeid was born in France but he’s played for Algeria, so does he not now register as African?

I know Good provably isn’t going to play first team but you’d imagine he’d be in the 25 man squad, no? So would still need to be registered.

• 13 sparky55 // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:42 AM

yellow belly…could be a good shout that…I’m sure Cathro will have put quite a few names forward from Spain and that one sounds as good as any

• 14 Bobbybee // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:42 AM

If macca can get tiote back to his first season form, i’d keep him. He used to win the ball and lay it off dead simple, but maybe that goal v arsenal made him think he was a proper footballer ;). He frightens me to death now when he tries to dribble in his own penalty area. If he sticks to being a ball winner, he can be a real asset.

• 15 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:43 AM

I see, thanks 🙂

That’s the trouble when you base your knowledge on football manager :/

• 16 Slank // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:44 AM

LewSpi v2.0 @ 12

‘Do you not take the nationality of the national team you’ve played for?’

No. Nationality is on your passport. Rules about playing for a country other than that quoted on your passport is different.

I believe Aarons has played for England but was born in the West Indies, for example. I’m sure there are other examples.

• 17 firebug666 // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:44 AM

NUFC Index ?@NUFC_Index 1m1 minute ago
    Chronicle: NUFC want another three after Mbemba signs, and one of them could be another big-money arrival for eight figures #nufc

• 18 firebug666 // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:46 AM

NUFC Index ?@NUFC_Index 1m1 minute ago
    Chronicle: A whisper is that the next centre-back could come from the Bundesliga! #nufc

• 19 ~Anita One Bites The Dust~ // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:48 AM

While I would love to see Thauvin at the toon. I don’t see him as a priority. Much rather we get a 2nd CB to partner Mbemba first. Once that is sorted, then if there is still money to spend, we can go for the ‘luxury signings’ and by luxury signings I mean getting players for positions we don’t immediately need strengthening.

• 20 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:48 AM

No, it doesn’t matter who they have played for if they are dual nationality. They can use either.

It wasn’t Tiote’s goal, it was more that others dropped in form, or missed games so Tiote attempted to do more for the team then he should.

He wasn’t a key fixture in McClaren’s team in Holland mind, so I wouldn’t bank on him being a definite starter here.

• 21 sparky55 // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:49 AM

I agree…I think Maclaren could get him back to the form of old but we have three other Tiotes in the team in the form of Colback, Abeid and Anita, and we have Winjy, SDJ and Aarons, along with the possibility of Thauvin or an other…so I just don’t see him staying due to his wages and transfer value

• 22 jayphoto // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:49 AM

Sofiane Feghouli be nice! Got a feeling the club might be mindful of the homegrown quota. Hoping we don’t take Townsend but got a feeling we’ll probably be in for him

• 23 Liono // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:50 AM

Would love it if we signed Shaqiri. He’s a beast and scored a hatrick in the world cup so clearly has something about him. Not sure where he’d fit in though?

Jan – Mbemba – Lasc – Haid
    Colback – Wij
    Aarons – SDJ – Shaqiri

• 24 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:50 AM

HAha, a whisper that a centre half could come from the Bundesliga! It is hardly a whisper, we have been linked with several from the Bundesliga. It would be far more impressive if they said he was coming from somewhere else as we haven’t been linked with many from outside the Bundesliga!!

• 25 Slank // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:52 AM

I see on Sky Chris Ramsey has revealed QPR have had offers for striker Charlie Austin, but nothing concrete yet.

Does ‘nothing concrete’ another way of saying ‘nothing remotely near our asking price’ ?

Looks like we may not be alone in baulking at their excessive price.

• 26 stuart no9 // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:52 AM

sparky —- even youre getting a bit excited ???? something must be happening . lol, is this the start of a new era ??? who knows , theres still a little voice in my head say ; calm down stuart. jeez , hearing voices now .

• 27 jayphoto // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:54 AM

That whisper is like saying the mystery shock player is Joel Matip!
    Still think Jan Kirchoff fits the newcastle remit of signings. Still young, cheap as, great reputation before injury…

• 28 firebug666 // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:59 AM

I agree, but a whisper is a whisper if the player is not “on the radar”.

Since we have been linked with every player on the planet it’s difficult to come up with another option. I think the players we get will be players we have been linked with, and the “off the radar” comment is simply to throw other teams off the scent.

Charnley and co have had to work hard against other teams so far on transfers and are maybe getting tired and stressed. Off the radar may make the next negotiations a little easier. lol

• 29 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 23, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Talking to my son tonight, who lives in Germany, and the vibe there he tells me is that we are going to get Matip. Not the player I’d choose, I have to say, but I guess he can only strengthen the squad.

• 30 Fog-on-the-Tyne // Jul 23, 2015 at 2:45 PM

Given the report, I assume you have proof SM likes him.?!

previous post: Ashley’s May Be Right – Newcastle Starting To Make Their Own Luck

next post: New Environment – New Ideas – A Pleasure To Be Part Of It