The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

More Good News On Rolando Aarons

8:05 am, Thursday, July 23rd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 34 Comments

The Newcastle squad is on their way back to Newcastle from Portland, Oregon, and will probably arrive back later today so that Steve McClaren will be back in work tomorrow – probably in time to welcome Anderlecht center-back Chancel Mbemba to the club as our third signing for around £8.5M.

Steve has also said Newcastle are going after players that have not been covered in the press, and fans will be surprised at who Newcastle will be signing – so that’s good to hear – and one question is how many players are Newcastle going to sign this summer?

rolando aarons in action at portland

Rolando Aarons in action at Portland

Once all the arrivals come in, Newcastle can then decide who will leave the club.

But after Rolando Aarons two brilliant goals on Tuesday night in Portland, there’s more good news from the 19 year-old winger who seems ready to start afresh at the club after all last season’s injuries.

Rolando is now fully fit again, and this lad looks just great after making only six appearances last season for us last season, but he still managed to score two goals.

This is what Rolando has said to the local press accompanying the squad:

“For me pre season is not about getting on the score sheet, as much as getting back to my fitness, because when the season starts the performances are going to be the big thing.”

“Most of the goals I do score are instinctive.” “I don’t really think about them at the time. Obviously, I’ve seen it back now, and it looks like a decent goal, so I’m happy with it.”

“I just felt we were off the pace,” “I’m happy I contributed to all three goals, but I’m not really happy with my individual performance and the team’s as well.

“I’m sure when we go back to England we’ll work on a few things.”

That first goal of his after 75 minutes was more than decent, and the sporting Portland crowd will remember that goal for some time – it was really class and the Portland fans themselves applauded the goal.

Rolando seems settled and even excited at Newcastle and the youngster will know all about Steve McClaren’s record of bringing young players through to the first team, and that he’s now in great hands at Newcastle.

If Rolando keeps playing like he did on the tour, we could even see Liverpool and other big clubs come after him in the summer, but we expect the youngster to sign a five year deal at the club and stay.

Newcastle’s future will then depend on if we can keep players like Rolando at Newcastle long term, so we can again challenge for top four in England.

That’s possible, given the top players Newcastle can still attract to the club even, when we just avoided relegation last season.

Things are starting to turn positive at Newcastle, and maybe we can become a great side again under Steve McClaren and his top coaching staff, with the new willingness from the top of the club to start spending the big money we are making in the Premier League, on some very good players.

It’s starting to look good – or at least much much better (not to get too carried away) – than over the last three years.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Contracts · Friendlies · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Premier League · Rolando Aarons

34 responses so far ↓

• 1 Derek // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:07 AM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Derek // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:07 AM

😀

• 3 Altamullan // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:11 AM

Where’s all the singing gone…;-)

• 4 sparky55 // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:12 AM

Aaron will be massive for us this year…he’s got the potential to be in the same league as Sterling.

Great Mitrovic ditty…hope we get to hear that one sometime soon.

re more signings I don’t think Maclaren would say that without any basis of truth behind it but anymore coming in must surely mean we have people going out the other side of the revolving door

My favourites for an early departure are

Sissiko (don’t trust a word he says about being happy to say)
    Cisse…to many rumblings about a Qatar move
    Colo…sooner the better
    Saylor….5 years too late but better late than never
    Cabella on loan…Ashley paid too much for him to sell straight away and his value has halved under the stewardship of Pardew so a loan spell back in France the only real option
    Vukic…not quite good enough
    Ferguson…shame he didn’t live up to his early promise
    Obertan…no words necessary

I would say the signings Maclaren has referred to is a another quality centre back, another quality striker and another young promising midfielder

• 5 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:15 AM

Jib,
    I’m not sure to what extent Willo can be turned around at this stage. I hope you aren’t thinking that McClaren can have the same effect on Willo as Wenger did on Tony Adams when he arrived!!

I don’t mind Willo, gives everything he has, and is more often than not fit. I’d be happy to keep him for another year as he is reasonable back up, and isn’t costing us a fortune.

I think the key for all of our back line will be the change in style though. So often under Pardew, despite his assertions we were playing on the front foot, we sat back and defended very deep. We didn’t retain possession well, and were constantly under pressure. Pressing the ball higher up and retaining possession will take a huge amount of pressure of the back line, and reduce the amount of defending the edge of the box we do. I think all our centre halves will look better in this system, once we have it operating properly, but I still would prefer a second centre half after Mbemba.

• 6 martoon // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:18 AM

We need to get this lad’s contract sorted out quickly!
    Off topic it must be tough being an Anderlecht fan – they seem to be selling all their best players – the makems are sniffing round one of their players also.

• 7 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:20 AM

Sparky,
    No tears would be shed if most of that list were to leave, but if Cisse left I’d want a back up central striker and a wide forward in. Even keeping Cisse I still think we need more options so that Arma can get himself on loan. I’d prefer not to have to endure Rivi this season.

Sissoko can go anytime he wants, he is happy to stay because nobody wants him. He isn’t good enough for the Champions league in the top leagues, so his best hope is a move abroad to a dominant side in a lesser league or a sideways step in the Prem where the crowds will be smaller. Still, were he to leave, I’d want a genuine winger signed up, a Matty Phillips type, or even Bolasie. Not Thauvin.

Colo and Saylor leaving would require at least 1 more defender in, probably a centre half AND a back up right back. Without 2 more defenders coming in, then I’d only be happy letting one go at this stage.

• 8 Rotonda heights // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:21 AM

I think Aarons has the poential to be even better than Sterling. Sterling can sometimes be a bit of a headless chicken and a very poor finisher on occasion.

It’s a bit scary,but great just how much talent is suddenly emerging in this squad now.

Janmatt
    M’Bemba
    Mitrovic
    Aarons
    Wijnaldum
    DeJong
    Sissoko
    Perez

to name a few

• 9 hibbit // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:21 AM

whats anderleclecht other cb like

• 10 Rotonda heights // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:23 AM

martoon

anderlecht have a great scouting system though and they’ll get replaced with as good if not better potential.

• 11 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:23 AM

martoon,
    They still have Tielemans and Praet. Although probably only for another year or two…..

The fruits of a program to develop football at grassroots level for the national team are paying off. The moronic english FA can’t see past their tenure though. If only the English FA had someone with the vision and patience of Michael Sablon implementing the restructuring instead of Dyke.

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:23 AM

Given a straight choice I would have Willo over STaylor. However if our Greenwich Geordie fist pumper could just stay fit then it would be a no brainer.

• 13 hibbit // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:24 AM

i still think sissoko will leave i don’t trust his ramblings

• 14 Jib // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:25 AM

Lilo
    I don’t know if you have NUFCtv
    Two points
    This thread touches on the first , Aarons gave a really good interview seems a good pro even at such a young age.
    The second was SM’s interview , he gave great emphasis to what you were saying , retaining possesion , it seems to be a strong theme of his.

• 15 surreytoon // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:25 AM

I think we must still be in for Austin, Villa are rumoured to have just bid for Rolan and Palace have said he is beyond them which suggests that he is coming here, it is just a case of QPR willing to negotiate, and Newcastle are bidding their time.

When Ashley said we make our own luck from now on I think he meant that the previous make do and mend approach has gone. I hope this means we buy cover and create competition. Squad fragility in defence suggests at least one more CB beyond beyond Mbemba.

• 16 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:25 AM

Rotonda,
    If we play with a 3 upfront, or a 4231, I can’t wait for a couple of years time when we have a better developed group of Aarons, Perez, Mitrovic and Arma. Pace, skill, intelligence, aggression, strength and lots of goalscoring ability in that 4.

If Ashley keeps that together, and we can continue to progress these players then it all looks very exciting!

• 17 Rotonda heights // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:26 AM

lilo

the fa have always been dinosaurs harking back to the days of charles hughes and his famous p.o.m.o (position of maximum opportunity,) in other words hoofball.

After all the fa infamously claimed we had nothing to learn from brazil!!!

• 18 Rotonda heights // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:28 AM

surrey

i think Rolan or berahino is what we need more than austin, now mitro is here.

Wish we would take that 13M for austin and put it on rutiger or similar. Really don’t want to see saylor, colo or willo starting in August.

• 19 sparky55 // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:28 AM

lilo

I’m not sure about Thauvin either…I think he has a flaky personality / disposition and is prone to long bouts of sulking…a bit like Ben Arfa.

I think we will keep Rivi and I think we may keep Willo as one of our back up CB’s as I’m pretty sure we’ll get another quality CB before the window shuts.

I think the main reason why Cisse will go is that Mashley will want to balance the books to some degree and Cisse is pretty much the only player of value left in the squad and his value this summer is still Circa 7-8 million but his value next year will be much less and we’ll have had to pay him 60k a week in the meanwhile.

If we can get 8 million I think that will go towards the purple striker yet to come in.

• 20 Rotonda heights // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:30 AM

Jib

After years in the desert re – watching any decent football I do find SM’s words more and more encouraging.

• 21 nightfa11 // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:30 AM

personally i dont care if sissoko leaves..

hes not a winger, hes not an attacking mf, not a defensive mf.. hes ok in all positions, but doesnt excel at any..

easily replaceable..

• 22 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:32 AM

Jib,
    I do, it helps me keep up to date and in touch with everything.

On Aarons, he gets compared a lot to Sterling. On the pitch, possibly, but the characters are miles apart. By this stage Sterling had a bairn, and had already ditched QPR chasing the cash on offer at Anfield. Liverpool fans were taking the piss out of QPR when they nicked him from them, I have zero sympathy for them now he has done the same again, with the scouters as the victims. He’d also had a couple of incidents with the law, but only very minor as far as I can remember.

Aarons on the other hand was released by Bristol City, in part due to his injury troubles. We took a chance on him when nobody else was interested. Aarons seems far more level headed. I don’t think he would be turned by a big club at this stage. Someone told me (a lad that used to be in Bristol City’s youth set up) that Aarons is well looked after, and his family keep his focus on development over the riches at this stage.

If you are good enough, the riches come, there is no need to chase them too early to the detriment of your career.

• 23 Slank // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:33 AM

Lil @ 5

If Mbemba goes to the ACON we will need a replacement for a period of weeks.

If the club are shortsighted enough to get another African international we will need two replacements.

The club therefore would have to retain, I would argue, at least one probably two experienced centre backs as I doubt we could go for weeks with only Lascelles and Good/Satka. Dummitt could be slotted in but it is still a risk.

My feeling is that Saylor and Williamson will be retained.

I have feeling that Colo may go which would allow him to return to Argentina, allow a new captain to be announced and reduce the wage bill.

• 24 will die for the toon army // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:33 AM

It looks like Mcclaren is here for long term. The Board has a plan. Let me hop its a good one.

Now we go back to our silent days with speculation wat to happen next.

• 25 sparky55 // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:34 AM

jail…Me too…Saylor IMO will be one of the first to go and may end up in boro or leeds as he probably won’t want to move way from the North East and Championship is his level.

Willo not much better IMO but certainly the better of the two

• 26 2_goal_tino // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:35 AM

Been on a lot of Anderlecht forums talking to their fans, they say they’ll miss Mbemba much more than Mitro because they ‘doubt they’ll ever get as good a defender again as Mbemba’ whereas Mitrovic is still very raw.

The player they all love and would be really upset to lose is Tielemans – 18 and already played 70 games for them.They know he will leave eventually but want to have another 2/3 years of him first.

• 27 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:35 AM

Rotonda,
    I agree that Berahinho or Rolan are the type we should be after. Keep Cisse as back up for the central role, and have Perez, Aarons, Rolan/Berahinho type and a new winger fighting it out for the 2 wider forward spots.

I’d prefer Berahinho in this case as he has the experience, and at some stage I’d like Prm experience in as well.

• 28 He Will Rise Again // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:40 AM

I’m not an ITK but I can take an educated guess as to who the mystery player may be that the chronicle may be referring to (and I wouldn’t trust anything they say but tis the season to be jolly so let’s get carried away with fantasy in comings).

The chron say the player may be from the Bundesliga.

This got me thinking ‘Who haven’t we been linked with recently?’ and then it hit me.

Young CB, premier league experience, someone who knows one of our new signings, is on the peripheral of his teams starting 11 and is likely available for the right price….

Matija Nastasic.

Used to play for Man City, is only 22, Serbian and knows Mitrovic, doesn’t start ahead of Matip and Howedes (they won’t sell Matip) and could be available for about £10 million.

Also with Schalke in mind we should wait for Draxler to go to Juventus and then try our very best to buy Kingsley Coman. The lad is already unsettled and another player in his position would surely make him available.

Tell me that this wouldn’t be a team pushing top 6.

——————–Krul———————-
    Jaanmat-Nastasic-Mbemba-Haidara
    ————Wijnaldum-Colback———-
    Aarons—————————–Colman
    —————–De Jong——————–
    ——————Mitrovic——————–

Subs – Darlow, Lascalles, Dummet, Anita, Abied, Cabella, Rivière

Admittedly the bench is weak but we could sell off all the players that will never get a game or will still receive a decent fee. Colo, Willo, Bigi, Vuckic, Gouffran, Obertan, Tiote, Cisse.

• 29 nightfa11 // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:41 AM

i dont want to see wiliamson in nufc shirt ever again..

but id keep colo till january, so that new CBs have some time to adapt to epl..

as for taylor..if he can keep his injures behind him, id keep him as a 3rd choice CB..but if not..he can leave next summer.. no point in paying a player millions for 5-10 matches per season..

• 30 Bobbybee // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:41 AM

Getting this kid on a long term contract is just as good as any new signing. I genuinely thought we’d lost him and that he was just waiting to run his contract down and go to the club with the best offer, but his attitude has changed so much from last season. It’s scary to think how much he’ll be worth in a few years if his progress continues at the current rate. So much change in so little time, it’s like being caught up in a tornado innit? Anybody got any red slippers? ‘We’re off to see the wizard…’

• 31 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:41 AM

Sparky,
    Cisse may well go. He said earlier in the summer he only had 18months left on his contract. Not sure if he made the error, or whichever clown that did the contract negotiations did a straight 4 years from the January when we signed him. If he does only have 18months left, he is free to negotiate a free transfer from next summer, which means he goes now, or January.

Slank,
    There is no AFCON this coming January, so that buys a bit of time. However even though it isn’t till 2017, and there are 2 windows between now and then, I’d still prefer the next centre half not to be African. Preferably he would already be Prem experienced, but the cost involved there may be prohibitive to the club, even in it’s alleged new era.

I jus don’t see who will buy our defenders, and I’m not sure the club will just let them leave on a free.

Satka and Sterry both need to be loaned out. Good can stay around the club as cover, but I doubt he has a future here anymore.

• 32 Jib // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:44 AM

If anyone has BT sport
    Sunday at 16.20
    Arsenal v Wolfsburg in the Emirates cup
    Keep an eye on the Wolfsburg no 31
    Robin Knoche a young centre half we are being linked with.

• 33 Slank // Jul 23, 2015 at 8:54 AM

Lil @ 31

Good point about the ACON not being until 2017 which would buy us time by then Lascelles, Good or Satka would have matured into centre backs or been discarded. Also Dummitt may have become a permanent centre back or not. Also Williamson and Saylor would possibly be too old by 2017.

I think ‘He Will Rise Again ‘ @ 28 has a good point.

I would be astonished if McClaren consents to the club buying another international African centre defender knowing what the consequences could be in the middle of the season.

• 34 musomag // Jul 23, 2015 at 9:39 AM

Awesome potential this kid, adds great excitement to the squad. If properly trained & developed and with a good, injury-free season under his belt Rolando could quickly become next years £60m EPL player Jose Mourinho was talking about. Long term contract with a HUGE buy-out clause required ASAP

previous post: Mbemba To Be Reunited With Former Team-Mate