The Newcastle United Blog

News and Commentary On Newcastle United By Ed Harrison, A Proud Exiled Geordie And Lifelong Fan

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Must Show Ambition To Keep This Frenchman

3:30 pm, Thursday, July 23rd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 17 Comments

Olivier Kemen joined Newcastle from Metz two years ago this month, and he signed a two year contract at Newcastle which ended at the end of June, according to, and we assume he is now a free agent.

His agent has said he is in talks with AC Milan about a move for the French U19 International and other clubs said to be interested are Tottenham Liverpool.

olivier kemen

Olivier Kemen in Newcastle’s colors

While Olivier has done well and played in the Newcastle U21 side 26 times in the last two years and has three goals and two assists, he has yet to make his first team debut.

The Frenchman is one of the best young players we have at the club having just turned 19 last month – and with Steve McClaren on board – we are sure that he wants to take a good look at the young player.

But there are several reports in France that he is talking to those three top clubs,  and there is a good chance we could lose him this summer.

This is another test for the new Newcastle, that not only can we sign top players and even beat the bigger clubs to them – but we can also keep the good players we already have at the club.

One of those is Rolando Aarons who looks like he will sign a new five year deal at Newcastle.

We need to have that same success with Olivier Kemen.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.

Tags: Newcastle News · Olivier Kemen · Pre-season · Rolando Aarons · Transfer News and Rumours

17 responses so far ↓

  • 1 Altamullan // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:36 PM

    Good luck to Olivier, hope he retains fond memories of us.

  • 2 Sir Eric // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:37 PM

    I posted this on a previous thread, I’m not sure if it’s correct that he has left us, as he was on the retained list of players for the new season.

  • 3 lesh // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:39 PM

    Surely he wasn’t out of contact in June? He was in the US, but then again, he might just have taken along to let McClaren assess him.

    In any event, if the bin-dippers, AC and others are sniffing, the lad must have shown potential somewhere down the line. But, as Carver had other things on his mind, it could well be his contract review’s slipped past the powers that be.

    So, it’s up to Shteve to make an opinion and recommendation before it’s too late and the lad’s gone.

  • 4 Graeme // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:44 PM

    If his contract has expired he may be beyond retrieval now though. If he has in fact been allowed to slip through his contract, un-noticed, why would he want to stay?
    Maybe Schteve needs to have a word in his ear – if he wants to keep him.

  • 5 2_goal_tino // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:45 PM

    lesh – he is by far our most well-renowned youth player. He has captained France at every level of youth football! From what I remember his contract expires next year.

  • 6 firebug666 // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:46 PM

    According to twitter Mbemba has checked into the Hotel Indigo in Newcastle.

  • 7 firebug666 // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:46 PM retweeted
    Kristan Heneage ?@KHeneage 9m9 minutes ago
    Mbemba pictured checking into a Newcastle hotel ahead of his move to #NUFC:

  • 8 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:47 PM

    I thought Kemen still had a year left?

  • 9 2_goal_tino // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:48 PM

    Yeah Toon-Prodigy, we only signed him in 2013, would have been very strange to only give him a 2 year contract!

  • 10 barkel // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:49 PM

    He was on the retained list so he must have at least been offered a new contract if his current one has/had expired.

    He was playing and I think captained France in the U-19 European Championships over the last few weeks, they lost in the semi finals

  • 11 lochinvar // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:54 PM

    Booked into a City Centre Hotel ?
    Would be better in a Safe House to keep him away from the Press and prying eyes and the temptations of the Bigg Market until he’s signed ! LOL
    For that matter lock Kemen in with him until he signs as well.
    Does Shearer have an annex the club could use ?
    Mrs. Shearer could do the breakfasts and that would save Ashley a few bob on hotel bills.

  • 12 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:57 PM

    I can’t find anything that says a 2 or 3 yr deal. I was under the impression though that it was a 3 so i’v picked that up from somewhere but god knows where!

  • 13 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 23, 2015 at 3:59 PM

    It’s the Chronny that say he has a year left

  • 14 magscar // Jul 23, 2015 at 4:02 PM

    Those players he is prepared to let go must be taking shape in McClaren’s mind.

    Their contracts ,if other clubs fancy them at proposed selling price will obviously be factors as to whether we can move them on.

    What could be in our favour is how the contracts were drawn up. Ashley was reputedly amazed that the likes of Alan Smith could rake in £65K each week whether fit . playing or not. If Llambias was successful in getting players signed on heavily incentivised contracts then anyone not likely to play regularly may be more inclined to move on.

    Apart from Cisse, Sissoko none are likely to be stepping up and may not be keen on a move. However with amount of money around in PL next season better paid contracts may be available anyway but Championship won’t be able to offer comparative salaries.

  • 15 dazza // Jul 23, 2015 at 4:19 PM

    The guys useless. let him go. Never gonna make it. Good luck to him. Now bring in some young players with real steel.

  • 16 NezzaNUFC // Jul 23, 2015 at 4:26 PM

    I don’t know who comes out with this rubbish but Kemen has 1 year left on his contract, only noticeable players who contract were ready to run out was Sammy and Street.

  • 17 Rotonda heights // Jul 23, 2015 at 4:34 PM


    You are talking out of your proverbial. you do know that don’t you.

previous post: Steve McClaren Compliments New Signing

next post: No Concrete Offers Yet For Newcastle Target