The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Budding Star Can Fulfill His Potential At Newcastle

10:33 pm, Friday, July 24th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 117 Comments

With the social media these days all around, where news goes viral in an instant,  it must be very difficult for young players – who by their very age are still becoming men – so it’s much easier these days than in days of old for great young players to go off the rails, and never fulfill their potential.

Steve McClaren is well aware of all that, which is why he has a good record of bringing young players through at the clubs he’s been at – and he has what has to be a really top prospect in 19 year-old Rolando Aarons,  who shone on the US tour – just like he did in pre-season last year.

rolando aarons portland

Great action shot of Rolando Aarons at Portland

His two goals on Tuesday night in Portland were something to behold, and in a couple of minutes Newcastle were at 4-3 with 14 minuets to play, after being down 4-1 and struggling mightily.

Rolando set it up for Newcastle to possibly even save the game – but we couldn’t do it.

Rolando has been interviewed in the Chronicle today, and the first thing he said is that he doesn’t want to talk about all those injuries he picked up last season – who can blame him?

This is what the (very)  talented youngster said:

“I don’t want to talk about last year. This is a new season and I want a fresh start. Hopefully this year I can stay fit and show what I can do.”

“As long as the gaffer is happy and I’m happy and I’m doing well for the team, that’s all that can be done really.”  “As long as I keep him happy I always have a chance.”

“Competition for places is good.” “The offensive players are doing well and it brings out the best in you. I like competition. It will improve the squad.”

“There are a few things to work on and I am sure we can be much better.” “I didn’t really notice it (the standing ovation he got for the first goal) because I was trying to get the ball up the pitch. But it was nice of them.”

“Newcastle is a massive club. And I knew that before I came here.” “I didn’t know we had this many fans in America. It’s only the second time I have been and I love the place.”

“I have been out for some time but I feel happy to play 90 minutes for the first time in a year and a half.”

Rolando shows a good attitude there, and that will be important for him in the next year or two, and he has to keep his feet on the ground.

Of course Steve McClaren and the coaching staff will help him do that.

The crowds in the US were great on the Newcastle tour, and Newcastle United are a well known club – throughout the world really.

The American crowds  appreciated Newcastle coming to play in Milwaukee, Sacramento and Portland, and the families tend to go and watch the games together in the US – sports is a family affair here.

It was noticeable that Rolando got some real applause from the home fans for those two great goals – especially that simply fantastic first goal – and the commentators were very appreciative as well.

They said that first goal from the 19 year-old was worth the cost of admission alone, so it was good we showed a little bit of class – albeit late in the game.

We hope Roland signs that five year deal soon, and there’s no reason at all why he cannot fulfill his potential at Newcastle over those next five years – none at all.

In fact it will be a measure of how good and successful Newcastle can become over that period is they can keep him at the club.

Well,  here are those two goals, and if Rolando is going to be in this type of form all next season and keeps fit – we will do very well – we may even shock ourselves.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Contracts · Newcastle News · Newcastle Youth · Pre-season · Premier League · Rolando Aarons

117 responses so far ↓

• 1 NezzaNUFC // Jul 24, 2015 at 10:37 PM

It will be even harder for Newcastle to get Austin in January considering many teams would want to bolster there squad, and on’t forget Newcastle have a habit not buying players in January.

If Austin was as good as many make him out to be then why hasn’t Liverpool, Spurs or even Villa got him?

Villa got a nice nice bulk of £££ from Liverpool, over 30 million and they haven’t approached him but like many been linked with him.

• 2 ZIPPIE57 // Jul 24, 2015 at 10:41 PM

Its not often a player excites me as much as this Kid, appears level headed has trained all summer and stopped and has his photo taken with my grandson last season
    wish him all the very best a potential superstar in the making

• 3 NezzaNUFC // Jul 24, 2015 at 10:41 PM

I still think that Mitrovic and Wijnaldum will be the only signings we make this window, with Chancel I hope we get the lad, he’s better than Colo, Willo and Taylor but with FIFA involved it could take months to even get a response from them concerning Chancel.

We all may think the FA are piss takers but FIFA is even worse in all categories and involvement in football.

• 4 NezzaNUFC // Jul 24, 2015 at 10:46 PM

Ronaldo, Bale and many other top class wingers will be forgotten once Rolando shows his true potential, and it could happen this season injury permitted.

If he becomes injury free I can see maybe one of the best wingers to ever grace Newcastle since Ginola.

And imagine Man City faces when Sterling becomes a flop hehehhehehehe.

• 5 ZIPPIE57 // Jul 24, 2015 at 10:46 PM

Why are you so negative Nezza NUFC you know jackshit about whats going on the same as the rest of us
    wind your neck in until there is an announcement

• 6 Graeme // Jul 24, 2015 at 10:48 PM

Nezza – it was reported onths ago that his age issue was resolved – there is no problem, he will be revealed this weekend- fingers crossed!!!!

• 7 beefman13 // Jul 24, 2015 at 10:48 PM

Rolando Aarons for me was the lad who kickstarted our good run last season, he was so refreshing and gave us another option, and hopefully if we can get another three fresh faces in our team at the start of the season, as well as the ones we have already signed we could be starting the season with two thirds of a different team and it is essential we go in that direction, it has to change man.

• 8 NezzaNUFC // Jul 24, 2015 at 10:48 PM

Where’s the negativity you prat?

If you don’t like my opinions then just f@ck off

• 9 ZIPPIE57 // Jul 24, 2015 at 10:49 PM

Well said beefman13

• 10 NezzaNUFC // Jul 24, 2015 at 10:51 PM

That’s good to hear mate, hope we get this lad in ASAP, we don’t have Pardew to mess up a talented defender ( much like Mbiwa ) anymore so things can only look good.

• 11 croftus5678 // Jul 24, 2015 at 10:54 PM

chancel will sign reguardless of age he’s a bargain no matter !

then we will get PEA as our other striker and abdennour closely followed by Bilal Ould-Chikh and nathan ake.

i’ll renew my season ticket then 😉

• 12 Thump // Jul 24, 2015 at 10:55 PM

@Nezza: FIFA were involved with Mbemba when he first moved to Anderlecht, they know his age and it has long since been sorted out. The Mirror, Ed, et al. are reporting on a story that was news two years ago.

• 13 NezzaNUFC // Jul 24, 2015 at 10:57 PM

Cheers Thump and Graeme for clearing this up lads 🙂

• 14 Mister Tuff // Jul 24, 2015 at 10:58 PM

nezza – the problems with Mbembas’ date of birth was resolved a couple of years ago – but the Mirror ran the story in any case knowing fine well the story was a non story.
    Bit concerning though that nothing has been announced -so far.

• 15 NezzaNUFC // Jul 24, 2015 at 10:59 PM

Anyone thought about that young French lad Umitti?

Suppose to be in a similar mold to Chancel but has more pace and he’s taller ( I think )

Mystery player???

• 16 ZIPPIE57 // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:00 PM

NEGATIVITY YOU PRAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 17 NezzaNUFC // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:03 PM

Now do yourself a favour and go change your poster name are something ( if you haven’t already )

• 18 ZIPPIE57 // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:06 PM

• 19 NezzaNUFC // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:08 PM

Why is it everytime a new name poster comes on they go after everyone?

I’ll watch it ZIPPIE57 before fellow bloggers find out who you really are and start asking questions!

• 20 NezzaNUFC // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:09 PM

Do you like sheeps??????

( May as well start it of )

• 21 Bobbybee // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:09 PM

Mbemba is a done deal, but there will be a slight holdup due to getting his work permit verified. More signings will follow – Macca has no reason to lie to us. Need to put a ridiculous buyout clause in Aarons’ new contract – and I mean ridiculous. Don’t want to lose him after just a couple of seasons after all. The way things are developing, who knows where we might be in four years. In reality we have to expect to lose him when his new contract expires – so let’s make sure when he goes, the transfer fee is enough to replace him and more.

• 22 doofa the loofa // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:12 PM

Time for beddies lad 😉

• 23 welshgeordie9 // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:13 PM

Why bring sheep into it.

• 24 ZIPPIE57 // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:13 PM

Who is new drama queen , boo hoo i think we will make only two signings
    are you the mackem in disguise??

• 25 NezzaNUFC // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:13 PM

doofa the loofa

No point mate I start work in an hour 😉

• 26 welshgeordie9 // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:14 PM

We are happy on here tonight aren’t we.

Dear me

• 27 ZIPPIE57 // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:15 PM

i think we will make only two signings

Anyone thought about that young French lad Umitti?

Mystery player???

• 28 NezzaNUFC // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:15 PM

Sorry mate couldn’t help it lol

Is that the best you can do!?

• 29 The Newcastle Armchair // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:16 PM

Handbags away now ladies

• 30 NezzaNUFC // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:17 PM

Aye mate and thanks to the trolls and WUM’s they only seem to come out at night.

• 31 ZIPPIE57 // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:19 PM

where is your season ticket Nezza

• 32 The Newcastle Armchair // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:19 PM

Your post wasn’t half as negative as some of the other tripe other people post.

How can anyone not be skeptical of this sudden change in the regime after having almost 9 years of it?

Although I must say I am enjoying it.

• 33 NezzaNUFC // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:20 PM

Haven’t had one in 5 years, you?

• 34 ZIPPIE57 // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:22 PM

had one for 30 year so do one armchair/ computer supporter

• 35 NezzaNUFC // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:23 PM

The Newcastle Armchair

True mate same here, it almost feels weird to actually look forward to something at the Toon.

• 36 The Newcastle Armchair // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:24 PM

Have you just come on here looking for an argument?

• 37 Liverpool Mag // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:25 PM

I didn’t go after anyone. But that’s because I’m an actual, genuine person and not one of the many (or rather the one or two) people that seem to just make new accounts to go after people. I do have a question though, are Jeff/Jib/Jane and welshie thought to be the same person or two different people?

• 38 Liverpool Mag // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:27 PM

Sorry, I misread/misinterpreted things, sorry Welshie

• 39 The Newcastle Armchair // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:28 PM

I get the feeling that even though we’re buying all these stars, it’s just so that Ashley can get a re-sale value.

Fair enough, sell if the price is astronomical but please rebuild. Guess we’ll see in another year or two.

• 40 NezzaNUFC // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:28 PM

Shame since I had mine for 47 years before I gave up 5 years ago, also hosting charity events with my business to support the Sir Bobby Robson foundation and 100 other charity events.

But hey I must be a mackem according to you!

So I guess your poster name ZIPPIE57 needs to change now ( probably the 57 is your IQ )

• 41 welshgeordie9 // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:29 PM

Liverpool Mag

That’s alright mate.

• 42 NezzaNUFC // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:31 PM

Liverpool Mag

I think Jeff is Jane, Welshie has been on here for years and Jib is a new comer.

But the rest though just come on here then a few days later change there poster name and give people sh!t.

• 43 Liverpool Mag // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:32 PM

Whereabouts in wales are you based? I’ve seen some stuff from other people about Swansea I think? But couldn’t tell whether it was taking the pi$$ or not? Just asking because obviously Liverpool is quite near Wales.

• 44 welshgeordie9 // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:32 PM

According to the express.

NEWCASTLE lead the race to land £12million-rated Bordeaux striker Diego Rolan.

How good or bad is this player.

• 45 welshgeordie9 // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:35 PM

Liverpool Mag

I’m from swansea mate.

• 46 Liverpool Mag // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:35 PM

Do they not have anything better to do?

I don’t think we’re in for Rolan, I just think the Express is exaggerating from what was said by the Bordeaux chairman. He seems to be alright though, but Ligue 1 is the league that had Riviere score more than James Rodriguez and Falcao, so sort of hard to tell how good players from it are at times.

• 47 Liverpool Mag // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:36 PM

Ah cool, I almost ended up in uni there. if I had got the grades lol

• 48 toon1707 // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:36 PM Newcastle 24/7 part 3 best one so far

• 49 Marty-Toon // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:37 PM

Put him on 30,000 a week before the vultures come in.
    He’s a talented lad and if he stays fit he will have an asking price of Sterling

• 50 NezzaNUFC // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:37 PM

Liverpool Mag

Not really mate, which is pathetic imo.

I’m off anyway guys to I’ll catch up later in the week.

• 51 Bobbybee // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:38 PM

Liverpool mag. Got to say my argument was because somebody came after me first! Never have sat back and taken abuse and frankly, never will either 🙂 Everybody’s opinion is valid, because it’s just that – an opinion, whether right or wrong. When that happens you have to just agree to disagree and move on. Otherwise it turns from discussion into ‘yes it is, no it isn’t; yes it is, no it isn’t. Then it just becomes boring and childish. I’d rather walk away than resort to that as it’s pointless and goes nowhere.

• 52 Liverpool Mag // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:40 PM

Siem with his glasses on looks like a really cool history or perhaps English teacher

• 53 Liverpool Mag // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:42 PM

I agree, sometimes people can’t reach the same conclusion. Which is especially true with football, as everyone likes different players and styles. Although I think most of us can agree it’s nice to see Newcastle actually have astyle under McClaren!

• 54 Bobbybee // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:49 PM

Liverpool. I’m loving it, it’s been so long coming that I’m lapping up every minute of it. The evidence is most definitely that change is happening, but I’m fully aware how quickly things can change and understand why people are sceptical. I’ve just got a hunch we’re in for a good run under Macca and having been miserable for so long under Ashley, I refuse to be miserable whilst good things are happening. 😉 . There’ll be plenty time for that if it all goes tits up!

• 55 switch365 // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:50 PM

Agree with Bobbybee.

A ridiculous buyout price is standard clause for potential ‘exceptional’ talent, that’s how Porto have been making so much in the past decade (£342m reportedly.)
    €100m would most likely be the price Barca or Real would put on him if he were theirs, I’d suggest we follow in their footsteps.

• 56 Graeme // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:51 PM

Nezza, there is no doubt he has the talent, hopefully McC will see to it that the development squad isnt screwed over by Beardsley’s boys!!!
    Our “Academy” doesn’t enjoy the highest of reputations unfortunately!!!

• 57 King Colback // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:55 PM

the 24/7 videos are brilliant, shows the togetherness and camaraderie of the players 🙂

• 58 Liverpool Mag // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:56 PM

It’s great! I’m really enjoying the Newcastle 24/7 as well because it makes such a big difference in following the club. We kinda get an idea about what the lads are like, and what they do in training and you can tell they’re all having loads of fun with how it is at the moment. Haidara in particular seems to be doing so well with all of the new technology and changes; as well as doing well on the pitch. Makes such a big change from the days of a boarded up training ground and misinformation directed at fans.

Although we may be being still sold some misinformation it seems much less now. McClaren has been very honest in the media, which is a big change from Pardew’s arrogance and Carver’s stupidity.

• 59 Bobbybee // Jul 24, 2015 at 11:59 PM

Way to go Switch, no point thinking small if we want to be as big as our potential suggests. If we must lose him, lets make the boogers pay through the snotter for him. 🙂

• 60 welshgeordie9 // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:00 AM

Just watched that video, Bigi and Haidara are bonkers, gouffran scored a cracking goal in training why can’t he do that in the league.

• 61 Liverpool Mag // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:06 AM

Possibly because not every team’s defense is as bad as our defense? But I also think players are more likely to attempt things like that in training because if it goes wrong they’re not going to get the abuse for wasting a potentially good chance.

But here’s hoping for a Steve Black masterwork on Gouffran!

• 62 Bobbybee // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:12 AM

Liverpool, I think Haidarra will come good this season. He was flying before that Wigan muppet nearly crippled him. It seemed to affect him as much mentally as physically, but it’s looking like he’s got over it now. With him and Janmaat pushing up during attacks, the crosses will be flying in and that, is what Mitrovic thrives on after all. Honestly, I just can’t wait for it all to drop into place with the coaching staff we’ve got bringing out the best in everybody. Exciting times.

• 63 Offkey // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:12 AM

That goal was Wyjnaldum wasn’t it……..also, Oberton seems proper moody all the time.

• 64 Liverpool Mag // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:14 AM

Offkey, if you looked like that, wouldn’t you be moody?

• 65 Offkey // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:18 AM

Liverpool – Its all relative mate, I would take the alien egghead for the money and job he has……….I think thats why it irks me more.

• 66 chasing_rabbits // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:19 AM

Some Portuguese guy has tweeted that a €13m deal is agreed with Monaco for Moutinho and he’s having a medical tomorrow. Who comes up with this shit?

• 67 Offkey // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:19 AM

Maybe thats what Pardew was talking about when he was saying he lacks confidence………must have meant he is a moody git.

• 68 Average_Contents // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:20 AM

Liverpool mag

Where abouts in Liverpool are you?

• 69 Offkey // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:21 AM

Chasing – someone on here pointed out that the image of the twitter bloke was actually a reporter from portugal……..who has died……people are strange.

• 70 Liverpool Mag // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:23 AM

I highly doubt that Moutinho is coming, but if he is coming Sissoko has to be on his way. there is absolutely no room in the side for all of those midfielders.

I dunno, a lot of athletes end up in poverty after they retire from active playing and I don’t think he has a future in broadcasting or managing. Still, he’s taking about 50,000 a week off us isn’t he? Wouldn’t mind that myself

• 71 King Colback // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:23 AM

Newcastle transfer list seven players

• 72 chasing_rabbits // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:23 AM

It’s just such a bizarre story to post. I don’t get it.

• 73 Average_Contents // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:25 AM

Some sad twat decided to start a rumour on twatter apparently and to top it off he used a dead blokes picture as his picture. Probably in the hope no fcuker would notice but it didn’t get past the Eagle eyes on this forum (discussed to death the other night)

• 74 Liverpool Mag // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:25 AM

I live near Kenny, mate. You in Liverpool, too?

• 75 Average_Contents // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:29 AM

Liverpool mag

Yeah mate, South Liverpool, near belle vale. Lovely place that Kenny lol

• 76 Offkey // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:35 AM

King – I am not surprised at the list if I am honest, I read about Abeid, Obertan and Gouffran earlier this month. It may be why they got a fair bit of game time pre-season (with the exception of Abeid who someone on here said he had an injury which delayed him coming out), so McClaren can have a look

Surprised Elliott and Taylor are not on there.

• 77 Liverpool Mag // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:37 AM

Lol, I’ve improved since my last place, was on london road, the home of the 2011 riots. But I’m originally from Hartlepool, so I’ve had worse

• 78 chasing_rabbits // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:40 AM

Whoops! Sorry AC must have been out that night! We’d never afford his wages anyway, surely!

Is there any truth to these Sissoko to Spurs rumours? At £18m I’d snap their hands off, but would lose all respect for the bloke if he left and didn’t go to Chelsea, City or Arsenal. He keeps banging on about CL football, but wouldn’t be guaranteed it anywhere else.

• 79 Bobbybee // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:43 AM

Can somebody please give me the link to 24/7 part 3. Seem to have missed it. Cheers.

• 80 Liverpool Mag // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:48 AM

Here it is, mate.

• 81 The Great Valerio // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:48 AM

“Newcastle were at 4-3 with 14 minuets to play” Sounds like an excellent concert. Wish I’d been there,

• 82 switch365 // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:49 AM

Regarding Squidward … err I mean Obertan.
    If you looked like SpongeBob Squarpants tentacled friend, you’d be moody too!

• 83 scout // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:53 AM

Roll on the season. That advert with shearers volley against Everton has me buzzin

• 84 scout // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:55 AM

Aarons scares me how good he could be, the defenders in the prem are half weights. He will run the show next season.

• 85 scout // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:03 AM

Where are you lads.

• 86 Bobbybee // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:04 AM

Cheers mate, enjoyed that. I paid for nufctv only to discover my tablet doesn’t support it. Born unlucky I guess 🙂

• 87 Bobbybee // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:10 AM

Maybe obertan looked so miserable on tour because he knew he was probably on his way out the door. I can actually see why Taylor has been retained insomuch that the passing game is potentially more up his street than just launching it from defence. Just a matter of keeping him fit. He’ll do for back up in emergencies.

• 88 Bobbybee // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:13 AM

Or maybe he was worried they were going to drop him back off at Area 51?

• 89 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 25, 2015 at 2:37 AM

Yeah, that’s right guys… laugh at Obertan’s face! Hahaha, very funny!!! Bunch of t**ts!!! How immature can you get? Disgraceful! Do you guys not think that he might have had a tough time growing up because of how he looks? Self-confidence could have been shattered from an early age yet adults still laugh?! Pathetic. Why bring how he looks up in the first place?

Annoyed me reading these posts!!

• 90 Spellcheck // Jul 25, 2015 at 4:02 AM

Young lad from Burnley, forgive them their Sins, we ALL support from deep I hope, assuming they’re not talking to each other rather than forgetting what genuine supporters not Wingebag apparent know it alls make comments!!!

• 91 Ian Toon // Jul 25, 2015 at 6:57 AM

From – far more reliable than The Mag:

A third close season acquisition now just awaits official confirmation, with Chancel Mbemba set to follow club colleague Aleksandar Mitrovic from Anderlecht to SJP.

Central defender Mbemba flew into Tyneside on Thursday to complete the formalities of his deal and has gone on the record to confirm his future is in black and white.

Newspaper reports in Belgium have claimed that United saw off both Atletico Madrid and their upcoming friendly opponents, Borussia Munchengladbach to clinch a deal, after triggering a reported £7.5m release clause.

DR Congo international Mbemba made his senior debut in Belgium back in 2013 and according to Anderlecht’s own website will celebrate his 21st birthday next month.

However, his age has previously been called into question, with clubs he played for in his home country registering him with a birth date of 1988.

And to further confuse matters, the Kinshasha-born player appeared on an international registration form for African Nations Cup duty with a 1991 birth date! He himself allegedly thinks he was born in 1990….
    (Reports this week claim that clarification over Mbemba’s registration has been obtained prior to a work permit application).

Should Mbemba end up at SJP, that “21 or 28” ditty that was composed for Obafemi Martins may need to be dusted off – and given an extended remix….

As well as Oba, the situation is reminiscent of our dealings with players from DR Congo in the past, with doubts over the details of both Lomana LuaLua and Calvin Zola – the latter requiring Home Office intervention.

• 92 Mister Tuff // Jul 25, 2015 at 7:00 AM

Disgraceful and immature to be irreverent on the blog to our hereos This needs to stop immendiately.
    I don’t think that Wally and Penfold would be amused at folk skitting alien heed -this practice needs to stop now otherwise there could be a breakout in laughter.

Mr Tubbs……………………………OOT
    Alien Heed………………………….OOT
    Misery Police………………………OOT.

• 93 jimmysmith // Jul 25, 2015 at 7:13 AM

The Anfield expansion work well underway and West Hams imminent move to the Olympic Stadium and the money pouring from TV funding, to all EPL clubs, are three simple clear indications that Ashley really has had no choice but to invest to maintain the clubs status. To actually win something and gain a place in the Champions League as has been mooted, is going to take consistent investment. He’ll know this of course. I wonder if we are going to see a big push now, or something more sustained. Obviously with his business acumen and by now fairly considerable experience as owner, in time and events, you’d hope the latter. But the competition is only going to get hotter.

• 94 jimmysmith // Jul 25, 2015 at 7:22 AM

Obertan may have a heed like a bruised and withered cantelope melon, but what he has also got is pace, and pace is the one thing that really rattles defences. He also has goal scoring ability and work rate, and apparently burns it up on the training field, and on occasion on match day. Not a first choice, or close, from what we’ve seen from him in a toon shirt, but still possibly useful, if McClaren and Black can get him playing with confidence.

• 95 expatmag // Jul 25, 2015 at 7:39 AM

Agreed. Certain unknowledgeable posters will not give Obertan a chance. We know he lacks confidence but a good coach would know how to use psychology to get the best out of him.

Imagine Mitrovic being served by the pace and crossing accuracy of Aarons and Obertan with De Jong probing from deep and Wijnaldum and Sissoko box to box in support.

Sounds good to me. Pace and power.

• 96 lochinvar // Jul 25, 2015 at 7:39 AM

Express reckons we are in for Rolan @ £12m

• 97 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 25, 2015 at 7:39 AM

I don’t think for one minute Mbembe is only 20. Not really buy it, but it’s not my problem.

Take a look at his wiki page:

He would be quite young when he started his youth career and just 17 at most when joined Anderlecht and started his international career.

He has played 63 games for Anderlecht which has made him a starter at the age of 17. Not imposible but kind of fishy.

• 98 Belfast // Jul 25, 2015 at 7:45 AM

Jesper there where rumours he was pictured smoking cigarettes while playing the sega mega drive in 1994.

He’s 33.

• 99 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 25, 2015 at 8:05 AM

Belfast…he looks 33 😉

• 100 sparky55 // Jul 25, 2015 at 8:05 AM

My nephew has just been given a contract at leeds at 16 years old and over the last 5 or 6 years has to deal with several african players coming in every summer who say they are a certain age but it’s obvious they’re much older then they say.

Lots of football clubs get in these players when they’re young and they like to to come over and say they’re 11 years old when in fact they’re about 14 and they do this because they will then get a full secondary education and they also get all the confidence in the world playing with kids three years younger than they are.

There is no real record of births in some parts of Africa and it’s all a bit of a farce. I look at the images on Chancel and he looks like he’s been round a few more blocks than his passport suggests.

Going back to my nephew it was a problem for him for while as these big african kids were dominating all the time but once the local lads catch up in height in strength and pace then most of them fall by the way-side.

Lewis is now built like a brick sh!te house, faster than them all, got all the skill in the world and has got a real chance…but these big african lads certainly knocked his confidence for quite a few years.

I guess I’m justing saying all the because the chancel thing is rife in european football…when they get into Europe they just make up their age to suit the local educational criteria and Chancel’s passport has certainly been clocked.

Doesn’t really matter though…he’s come through it all and has made it in football so good luck to the lad…but the younger his official are the more we’ll get for him when he’s sold so it doesn’t really matter at this stage in his career and I’m delighted to have him

• 101 Belfast // Jul 25, 2015 at 8:06 AM

Ian The blokes favourite day of the year is his birthday. So he has four birthdays a year. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Be interested to know how this bone test was carried out though . Sounds like something Fifa would make up to put out the fire.

• 102 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 25, 2015 at 8:07 AM

lochinvar…throw in Gouf and Obertan and I’d make that deal!

• 103 will die for the toon army // Jul 25, 2015 at 8:09 AM

On the transfer listed:
    1. Willo – he is passed it. Sell for 1m.
    2. Colo – I wld love to keep him for transition but if he wants to leave replace him with Abdennour. We still have Taylor, Durmmett and Lasceles. We r good there. Sell for 3m.
    3. Abeid – he is good and promising but way below pecking order with players of almost the same age so he will never have a chance. Sell – 3m.
    4. Vuckic – Too much competition in his position. Sell for 3m.
    5. Marvuex, Obertan and Goufrann – These guys were given there chance amd failed in a no. Of occasions and we need roon for new players. Bring Shaqiri and Bolseia as replacements. Sell for 7m.
    6. Cisse – The man every fan has split thoughs. His 30 so I wld bring a younger one. Sell for 7m.

7. Elliot – Cover is there in woodman though still early but bring I have hop he will succeed Alwirk was a poor keeper. Sell for 1m.

• 104 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 25, 2015 at 8:14 AM

will die…I would take off Colo and Abeid and throw in Obertan and Saylor in stead!

• 105 will die for the toon army // Jul 25, 2015 at 8:15 AM

Thats 24m from Sales so more money. Then we can bring Abdennour, Shaqiri, Bolsei, Austin.

• 106 Belfast // Jul 25, 2015 at 8:15 AM

Do you ever remember Taribo West Sparky? They reckon he was 12 years older haha

• 107 jimmysmith // Jul 25, 2015 at 8:15 AM

Yeah, he’s said he’d like another quality winger in, and I agree there is a lack of proven consistent wing talent in the squad, but in Aarons, Cabella, Sammi, Obertan, and even Perez, Rivierre and Gouffran, you have plenty of depth, experience and potential quality, and in Aarons a real potential star. I might be being guilty of sentimentality though. I like almost all our players, in truth, can’t help it. I even liked Pardew based largely on the fact he was OUR manager.

Fullback seems the greater priority than winger though. With Haidarra and Dummett, on one side and Janmaat and stop gap on the other, you’ve only got one seasoned specialist in the position.

My wish list would be Charlie Austin, Jonny Evans, a top left back, a capable specialist right back and a top winger, in that order.

• 108 sparky55 // Jul 25, 2015 at 8:16 AM

of the players that will go only Cisse, tiote and sissoko have any real transfer value, the rest will be sold for chump change.

The key to the first three is their wages…I don’t think they’ll get much playing time under Maclaren and they all earn 60k a week so Imo I think they’ve already been unofficially listed.

• 109 sparky55 // Jul 25, 2015 at 8:18 AM

belfast…:-) yes i do…probably the finest example of dodgy passport age after that cameroon player millar…he played in the world cup and must have been 45!

• 110 will die for the toon army // Jul 25, 2015 at 8:22 AM

Abeid is a good player but very unfortunate. Wijnaldum 24, Colback 25, Cheick 28, Anita 26 are all above him and r in the same age bracket he will never get a chance to play. He is in his last year so he cash in and move on.

Obertan is already on the list.

• 111 nut meg // Jul 25, 2015 at 8:22 AM

According to Transfer Market Mbemba has played in the Jupiler Pro League 45 times. Similar to some of his teammates. Mitrovic age 20 Juliper Pro League 50 games
    Praet age 21 – – – 76 –
    Tielemans age 18 – – – 48 –
    So it’s not unusual, not at Anderlect anyway.Registering a birth in lots of countries is not always the number 1 priority for poor people.How old is Mbemba….no idea but fifa has said he’s 20, so I’ll go with that.

• 112 Bornandraised // Jul 25, 2015 at 8:26 AM

In the year we finished 5th, we had great last ditch defending (bless your heart Danny Simpson) and power up front. I wouldn’t be surprised if the formula this year is compact organization and speed on the outside. Aarons, Obertan, Sissoko, Haidara all have great pace. We need quicker CBs and Tiote to hold back father time.

• 113 hibbit // Jul 25, 2015 at 8:28 AM

age related DNA has come a long way since miller i am told they can they can now tell your age to within 12m with DNA and bone scans i think thats why its taking so long

• 114 will die for the toon army // Jul 25, 2015 at 8:28 AM

Watever his age is I reckon Mbemba will give good three years and will make us a driving force. He is going to b a star.

• 115 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 25, 2015 at 8:34 AM

Newcastle and Everton in tug-of-war for Xherdan Shaqiri

• 116 Bornandraised // Jul 25, 2015 at 8:36 AM

WDFTA – No one is paying that kind of money for the luxury of giving 30 year olds a new contract, unless they are famous.

• 117 will die for the toon army // Jul 25, 2015 at 8:39 AM

Cisse is famous goals per min. ratio the best in premier league. 7m is ok.

previous post: Newcastle’s Strategy To Get Austin Could Work