The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

New Signing Desperately Wants More Playing Time

11:46 am, Saturday, July 25th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 43 Comments

Gini Wijnaldum started the game on Tuesday night against Portland Timbers, and within six minutes he had scored a nice goal that was beautifully set up by Rolando Aarons, who it’s fair to say was the star man of the tour, and certainly the star in that particular game with two brilliant goals within two minutes of each other in the second half.

georginio wijnaldum sacramento

Gini Wijnaldum in action in Sacramento

Gini played well in that first half, and you could see what a good player he’s going to be for us – he’s a box to box midfielder who can score goals, and he’s really looking forward to playing in the Premier League,  which kicks off in a short two weeks time.

The 24 year-old Dutchman is very keen to get more playing time before the big kick-off.

This is what Gini has said in the Chronicle today – initially talking about playing in the Premier League for the very first time:

“It will be good. When I was in Holland I always looked at all the games in England and wondered what it would be like.”  “Now I will play the games for myself so I look forward to them.”

“I hope the games go fast in pre-season so we can start with the Premier League.” “I’m really happy to get the first because it’s something I want to do.”

“I wanted it in the game before the one against Sacramento but I didn’t have the luck at that time.”  “Rolando made a good assist with the cross and I took it with the inside of my foot to get the goal.”

“But unfortunately we did not finish the game that good especially the first half.” “We ended the game well. In the second half we made it better a bit.”

“We scored two beautiful goals but like what I said it was disappointing.”  “The players are helping me but I must do it for myself. I work hard on it. We will see how much time I will need.”

“I feel good already because I knew it was the right move.” “I want to play. I wanted to play the second half as well at Portland.”

“The trainer has to make choices and he has a reason for that, because we have more games to come.”

“I must listen to that. I got a rest in the second half and I hope I can start against Sheffield and I hope to play longer.”

To date Wijnaldum has only 66 minutes of playing time in pre-season, but there are still three games to go before we meet Southampton on August 9th at St. James’ Park, and there’s still plenty of time to get a lot more playing time.

There are now just less than six weeks to go in the summer transfer window – so that should be enough to get the extra four good players in that we need to strengthen the squad – and that includes 20 year-old Chancel Mbemba.

We are hoping that the DR Congo International will be announced sometime today – and it could come at any time.

That will be the third good player we have signed this summer for a grand total of £35.5M so far – and more to come.

Tags: Coaching · Georginio Wijnaldum · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Premier League · Transfer News and Rumours

43 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Jul 25, 2015 at 11:50 AM

Ashley Out!

• 2 ShirebrookToon // Jul 25, 2015 at 11:56 AM

WTF is happening with the mbemba deal?

• 3 Graeme // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:00 PM

Good question!!

• 4 Bobbybee // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:06 PM

I think the majority of the Toon Army are sensible enough not to expect miracles in the first few games. We all accept that it takes time for players to adjust to the pace and physicality of the PL. That said, the quality of players we’re bringing in means that it shouldn’t take them too long to settle in. Some overseas players just take it in their stride, but for others they need to be introduced slowly but surely. Once they click though, I’m expecting great things from them and a relegation battle can be left to the mugs down the road. If anybody is going with the intent of booing the second something goes wrong, I respectfully suggest they don’t bother going. Gini and Mitro are expecting to enjoy the atmosphere at SJP, so let’s not disappoint them.

• 5 ShirebrookToon // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:10 PM

First game the atmosphere is going to be electric

• 6 Bobbybee // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:12 PM

Shirebrook, the hold up will be down to getting his work permit verified and stamped. The club doesn’t envisage any problems on that front, but like all things to do with goverment paperwork, it takes just that bit longer. If there’d been any problems medically, I’m sure we’d have heard by now.

• 7 overtheline // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:14 PM

Yes we do expect miracles the first four games
    6pts would be okay for top eight form

• 8 Ian Toon // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:15 PM

91Ian Toon // Jul 25, 2015 at 6:57 AM

From – far more reliable than The Mag:

A third close season acquisition now just awaits official confirmation, with Chancel Mbemba set to follow club colleague Aleksandar Mitrovic from Anderlecht to SJP.

Central defender Mbemba flew into Tyneside on Thursday to complete the formalities of his deal and has gone on the record to confirm his future is in black and white.

Newspaper reports in Belgium have claimed that United saw off both Atletico Madrid and their upcoming friendly opponents, Borussia Munchengladbach to clinch a deal, after triggering a reported £7.5m release clause.

DR Congo international Mbemba made his senior debut in Belgium back in 2013 and according to Anderlecht’s own website will celebrate his 21st birthday next month.

However, his age has previously been called into question, with clubs he played for in his home country registering him with a birth date of 1988.

And to further confuse matters, the Kinshasha-born player appeared on an international registration form for African Nations Cup duty with a 1991 birth date! He himself allegedly thinks he was born in 1990….
    (Reports this week claim that clarification over Mbemba’s registration has been obtained prior to a work permit application).

Should Mbemba end up at SJP, that “21 or 28? ditty that was composed for Obafemi Martins may need to be dusted off – and given an extended remix….

As well as Oba, the situation is reminiscent of our dealings with players from DR Congo in the past, with doubts over the details of both Lomana LuaLua and Calvin Zola – the latter requiring Home Office intervention.

• 9 WLtoon // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:16 PM

When the new signing walk out onto the pitch against Southampton,they will be overawed.
    That experience alone will remind them that they are playing for a massive club and spur them on to achieve the best they,ve got.
    By the way, the Daily Express claims that Nufc are close to signing Diego Rolan from Bordeux for 12M

• 10 mindshaft // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:19 PM

Best thing McClaren did was to hold out and not take the job unless Carver / Stone were sacked and insist on a big say in transfers
    We’ll have to see how it works out but happy with top ten this season then build on that , a good cup run would be nice
    A lot depends on if we can stop our massive injury problems

• 11 ShirebrookToon // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:19 PM

Well i hope it’s sorted soon as I want Shaqiri in next lol

• 12 Rotonda heights // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:24 PM

If it wasn’t for the high tax in France it would be great to do the following swaps:-

Gouffran back to Bordeaux in exchange for Rolan and cash

Riviere back to Monaco in exchange for Abdennour and cash

Cabella for Thauvin

Obertan for ???

Also isn’t it time Derek Wright was given the push. Our injury history under him is atrocious. Chelsea have Eva Carneiro as their physio and they were bottom of the injury table.

Also time for woodman snr to go. Eric steele or Pav would complete a great coaching staff, although I’m not sure about simpson.

• 13 Bobbybee // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:24 PM

Shirebrook, is that the sheffield shirebrook by any chance?

• 14 ShirebrookToon // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Mansfield shirebrook mate. The location of MA sports direct HQ

• 15 Altamullan // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:32 PM

Suspect you’ve got 5-10 years on me mate; air wair soles featured in my youth, but I missed the Northern Soul strides (Oxford bags). Picturing you sliding around singing “Jimmy Mac..” Swapping Jimmy for Terry, obviously! 🙂

• 16 ronjohno // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:36 PM

Why do NUFC have to drag out transfers and turn them into a saga and leaving fans wondering if deals have been done

Pisses us right off

• 17 nearly // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:39 PM

rotonda heights@12

derek wright is 1 of the best physios in the game ask any pro footballer, so dont understand why you would say that,CRANK.,

• 18 Bobbybee // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:42 PM

Altamullen, funny you should say that, I was a regular at Wigan casino and dj’d on the northern scene through the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. Still go to all nighters every now and then, even at my ripe old age. I think we were the original peter pan generation, coz none of us have really grown up 🙂 In fact, we’re all growing old disgracefully and long may it last!

• 19 Altamullan // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:47 PM

Nice one BB!
    On worrying note, IF medical did cast doubt on Mbemba’s stated age ( and I’m doubtful how accurate such tests can be, suspect to within a few years is best) given club’s policy ( buy them young, sell them on…) whilst I doubt it would be a deal breaker, they might well go back and offer less. No evidence for this folks, just fretting!

• 20 Rotonda heights // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:53 PM

Thanks for the constructive and well thought out insult. I guess you found that necessary and feel good now. Keyboard warriors, don’t you just love em.

Re – my previous. Our injury record is absolutely shocking and has been for many, many years while Wright has been our physio.

Co-incidence maybe, maybe not, but if my record was so bad I would be questioning why.
    Certainly room for debate.

• 21 Bobbybee // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:55 PM

Shirebrook, i lived in chesterfield for a while, but having no kneecaps due to a RTA, the long drive to home games was getting too much. Given the choice of giving up the games or moving back up north, i sensibly chose the latter. Giving up my beloved toon was never really ever going to happen, so the move was always on the cards. Once a NE lad, always one, so I’m much happier all round. I’m back home within half an hour now after the match, so I don’t suffer half as much as I used to. Get the pleasure of going with my brother and nephew now as well. Happy as a pig in shyte. 😉

• 22 ShirebrookToon // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:02 PM

Sorry to hear that mate. Yes the drive is a killer but luckily there’s a few of us that travel north together and have got family up there too. It’s a small world as wherever I’ve lived and worked I’ve always come across quite a few toon fans which is good to see

• 23 Altamullan // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:02 PM

It does make you wonder Rotunda, I had always assumed physios were more reactive/ restorative than preventative, so judgement on quality (or relative quality) would be on how well they get people back (in comparison to estimates for that injury). But with all the sports science that is a routine part of footy these days, I guess I am wrong. Vast amounts of time/ and prep goes into prevention. Not totally sure who is ultimately responsible for this though. Team of physios may be more hands on ‘doers’ rather than solely responsible for what should be done. On just that note, do you remember Steve Black’s article about Keiron Dyer?

• 24 Bobbybee // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:04 PM

Altamullen, FIFA already tested Mbemba when he was in Belgium, so there’s no worry about his age. Something to do with bone density. They were happy that he’s only 20ish, so all this talk is mainly mischievous press waffle. His work permit is the only issue, but it’s not a problem either. Just takes a wee bit longer that’s all. No need to fret mate. 🙂

• 25 one fine day // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:07 PM

Watching inter v ac Milan live right now
    Santon in inter side and Niang in the line up for ac should be interesting

• 26 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:09 PM

I’ve never heard anything specifically good or bad about Derek Wright, but logically I have to agree with Rotonda. Our injury problems during his tenure have been appalling. He has to take some responsibility for that, surely? (btw Wigan had a couple of great mod /northern soul clubs in the sixties too)

• 27 nearly // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:09 PM

rotonda heights

key board warrior i think not,my apologies if you feel i insulted you wasnt my intention,just cant understand why you would make that comment there is isnt many better phsios out there trust me,he repairs injurys doesnt cause them ,he updates the coaching staff n manager about injurys and sets comeback dates if he feels their not ready for a comeback he will not risk them and will tell them so ,coaches and managers sometimes want to take risks hardly his fault

• 28 Altamullan // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:13 PM

Steve Black and Newcastle Injuries:
    From memory, he made the point that Kieron (hugely talented, blighted by injuries) always trained too hard. He used idea of Olympic athletes remaining at 70% fitness/ effort and building to 100% for big events (Olympics, key qualifiers etc). I’m probably oversimplifying, but point is you have to have different gears; be able to pace yourself. Otherwise you increase the likelihood of avoidable injury/limit your season, and potentially your career. Addressing issues like this, involves good sports psychology or simply good old fashioned coaching that gets into players’ heads, rather than just having a good medical team or physios.

• 29 Bobbybee // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:13 PM

Shirebrook, I used to give a lad from your area a lift when he could get time off from shiftwork, but I can’t for the life of me remember his name. He was a bit of a heavy lad – trying to be pc you notice. My memory ain’t what it once was, but I’m surprised myself I can’t recall his name as it was only a few years ago. 🙂 Being a toon fan there’s probably a chance you know him too.

• 30 GEORDIE69 // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:14 PM

I am watching James Tavernier playing for Rangers v Hibs, I have been impressed with him., just scored a great free kick as well. shame how his career has nose dived. Would certainly be a good back up to Janmatt.

• 31 one fine day // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:16 PM

Santon having a mare so far

• 32 WWSBRD // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:19 PM

Tavernier? Next ull be fondly remembering Kadar

• 33 one fine day // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:19 PM

I am still in shock that Kieran dyer ever” trained too hard”
    Now Stevie Taylor has the right balance there’s a lad who is permanently 70 % fit 🙂

• 34 ShirebrookToon // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:20 PM

May know him as I worked in Chesterfield for 18 months. Now work in Derbyshire and I’m surrounded by Derby fans who have had nothing but good words to say about Stevie Mac and what a top coach he is

• 35 Bobbybee // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:21 PM

Right, sounds like I’m missing out on football on the box, so time to go. Later lads.

• 36 ShirebrookToon // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:21 PM

One fine day

Is Shaqiri in the team?

• 37 GEORDIE69 // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:23 PM

WWSBRD = Shut up goon!

• 38 Altamullan // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:26 PM

Great article on Mitrovic, more pictures I see of him on Tyneside, the more he reminds me of members of my Mam’s family from East Gatehead, same ‘had a good kicking or two’ facial features, but twinkle/ sense of fun still in the eyes: welcome home son, we’ve been waiting for you!

• 39 WWSBRD // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:27 PM

Howay man he was nothing special couldn’t make it at a club fighting relegation in the Championship now at a second division Scottish side and he’d be a good back up to Janmatt?

Nar am not having that one

• 40 one fine day // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:28 PM

Shire brook
    Must be on the bench
    Hopefully he will get on
    This seems to be a glorified pr exercise/ kick about to be honest so far but Niang. Is looking handy. Wasn’t he available on a free?

• 41 GEORDIE69 // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:31 PM

WWSBRD – He has all the attributes that a right back requires! Currently better than Sterry.

• 42 one fine day // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:35 PM

Niang is looking like a beefed up Sammy great first touch too

• 43 WWSBRD // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:40 PM

2 legs? Nope not for me, no regrets over him leaving . Good luck to him at Rangers but he can stay there

As for being better than Sterry he should be haha Sterry is a youth player. Mbemba will be CB/RB cover I’d imagine

previous post: Steve McClaren – Newcastle Is Unique – It’s Like A Religion