The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Steve McClaren – Newcastle Is Unique – It’s Like A Religion

9:52 am, Saturday, July 25th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 55 Comments

Steve McClaren joined Newcastle United in early June, the day after both John Carver and Steve Stone has been sacked, and Steve and his coaching team ever since then have been like a breath of fresh air for Geordie fans.

And couple that with our acquisition of Gini Wijnaldum, Aleksandar Mitrovic and hopefully Chancel Mbemba today, and things are starting to look up.

steve mcclaren training

Steve McClaren – on the training field

Steve has given a very good interview with Premier League TV today, and this is some of what he had to say:

“The thing for me that I always see, the vision, is that last game against West Ham. I watched the game at a friend’s house, massive screen, the noise blasting out.”

¨And I thought, ‘now there’s a football club that is sticking together.’ Its players are playing for the club. Fantastic attitudes, great football, won the game and therefore staved off relegation.”

“That’s what we need, to grasp that, bottle that and to build on it.”

“I’ve won a couple of trophies before and I want to win more” “The objectives of what Mike Ashley, the owner, wants to achieve is the top eight and to win a trophy,”

“It’s a huge pressure sometimes, the expectation is way beyond what you can achieve. But that’s also one of the key things why I’m here.”

“This club is unique. It’s like a religion. The faithful fans turn up every week, expecting, expecting.”

“When you win something it is the highlight. In football there’s a lot of ups and downs, and more downs than ups.”

“But believe you me, the ups, when you achieve them and when you experience them, not just as a club but as a crowd, as a town and as a community, it’s absolutely fantastic.”

“When you do that it just blossoms the whole club. We need to put a smile on the fans’ faces and make them proud, whenever we play, of turning up and watching this team play.”

“It’s a club I’ve always envied. I’ve been in the area for 15 years. I know everything about Newcastle. It was a long process to get here but it’s a pleasure to finally be their new head coach.”

Steve has hired a very good coaching staff in Paul Simpson, Ian Cathro, Steve Black, Alessandro Schoenmaker and Andy Woodman, who remains the goalkeeping coach.

We are not getting carried away, and it’s still all to do next season, but there seem to be some definite signs that Newcastle want to build a top team again, and at last seem willing to spend some big money in the transfer market this summer to strengthen the squad.

There’s at least hope for Newcastle fans this season, and there wasn’t too  much of that in the last five months of last season – it was a living nightmare.

But hey, on the positive side of things – here’s hoping for a very good season coming up.

Tags: Coaching · Financials · Head coach · Management · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Premier League · Transfer News and Rumours

55 responses so far ↓

• 1 Liverpool Mag // Jul 25, 2015 at 9:56 AM

more good words from McClaren, he’s really won me over

• 2 Kris // Jul 25, 2015 at 9:59 AM

Any stream for the game tomorrow guys?

• 3 Bobbybee // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:03 AM

ASHLEY…. reprieved? 😉

• 4 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:05 AM

I am more of a action kind of guy…

If you do the right things nothing really need to be said!

• 5 Mag52 // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Colo as captain – no way. Krul’s the man.

• 6 Rotonda heights // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:17 AM

SM gets it. Some previous managers (no names mentioned haven’t)

• 7 will die for the toon army // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:17 AM

Mcclaren says e same words from his first interview to the Fans Forum and with Premier its the same stuff.

Lets wait for action.

Get in Abdennour, Shaqiri and Austin amd get e season starting. With those in and Wijnaldum, Mitrovic and Mbemba. Keep Cisse, Toite and Colo. With Mcclaren and Ian Cathro at helm. I wld be aiming for TOP 6.

• 8 Rotonda heights // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:17 AM

will die

He’s doing his best.

• 9 why oh why // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Shteeeeve is a class act
    He knows what he wants and by all accounts Ashley is backing him and some
    As for colo yes he was t great last season but gents look at what he was having to play along side.utter shite apart from jammnat.
    He will stay as captain
    Personally I would have jammnat as cpt

• 10 will die for the toon army // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:22 AM

Now the arm band is btn Colo, Cheik and Colback. Coz Krul, De Jong, Janmatt, Sissoko have been on the same pitch as Colback and he was chosen so not on the top list.

• 11 Bobbybee // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:22 AM

Will die, I think we can forget Abdenour sadly, apparently he’s in talks with Barcelona and somehow, I can’t see him kb-ing them to come to us, more’s the pity.

• 12 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:24 AM

There seems to be a culture at Newcastle under the reign of Ashley where the manager needs to be more of a talker than a do’er!

Lets judge McClaren on what he does…so far you cannot judge him on much…if anything really (and that’s not a dig)

• 13 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:26 AM

I had hoped Krul would have gotten the armband!

In English football they never seem to drop the Captain. Would make for a better start I think!

• 14 Altamullan // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:27 AM

“That’s me in the CORNER, that’s me in the FLOODlights, losing my religion…” Not any more cocker!

• 15 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:28 AM

Janmaat could do it as well seing as we have no backup anyway!

• 16 Altamullan // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:32 AM

Captain: Janmaat, de Jong, Krul and (mainly) Wijnaldum, strike me as having good leadership qualities. I like Jack C, and personally would always start him (given current squad) but I don’t think he is a natural leader.

• 17 seantoon // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:34 AM

Anyone know where I can get tickets for tomorrow’s game?

• 18 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Mclaren seem to have grasped what the Club is all about?

However, if he achieves half of what he wants to then i for one will be happy !

Its all Roses now but until afer a few games into a new season i will reserve my judgement.

But for now he is the Main guy and i will support him and the Club!

• 19 Bobbybee // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Seantoon. There’s a limited number available at the box office at SUFC. They say limited, but being a testimonial and not a sellout, I would be very surprised if they turned anybody away. That’s no guarantee, but based on commonsense

• 20 Altamullan // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Shaqiri seems like a wrong un, to me. I mean personality wise. (Recent pic with terrorist didn’t help image). Whilst I’ve said same about Ronaldo and really thought he would implode (given how far up his own rare end he seems to be) maybe it doesn’t make that much difference. Some effective footballers maybe aren’t that nice to be around; SMc will know all about having the right mix in the dressing room/around the coffee table as well as on the pitch. Plus, what’s critical and what’s irrelevant. Mancini is apparently pretty easy to fall out with as well, so maybe not all on XS.

• 21 will die for the toon army // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:41 AM

Tim Krul for Me.

• 22 why oh why // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:41 AM

Go online for tickets or ring Sheffield Utd ticket office

• 23 Altamullan // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Sean re tickets
    Can turn up (opens 11:30) and get tickets from box office. Thinking of heading over myself (I’m in Manchester).

• 24 Transfer Sage // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:47 AM

I agree. Far too much talking about what they want to do from most people over here.

I reckon most of that is due to the press. Managers and players have to go to that many press conferences to please the media who pay the bills they have to say something. I do agree it’s overly repetitive though.

• 25 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:48 AM

I see another young Brit is priced way above his level and potencial – John Stones.

…a huge problem with the HG rule and one of the reasons why not that many Brits plays outside of the UK or get their football education on the continent.

Would benefit English football so much though. I say drop the HG rule as we know it and think outside of the box in terms of how to develope the young English talent.

• 26 seantoon // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Cheers lads, am going from huddersfield so not too far. Will we have to sit in the home section do you think?

• 27 Bobbybee // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:51 AM

Expat, bear in mind that it might take a few games for the new team and the new ideas to get working together. He’s clearly doing his level best to make this work and deserves everybody’s backing win, lose or draw. We might not even have all our transfers done before the end of August after all. We’ve now got a club that is visibly trying to put right the wrongs of the past 8 years. That’s all we demanded when all’s said and done. I for one am excited by the prospect and I suspect I’m far from being alone. HOWAY THE LADS! ! !

• 28 Altamullan // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Some seats available in the away end according to

• 29 sing in the corner // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Never been a big fan of keeper captains myself, sometimes not in the thick of it enough for me..
    Bring back Barton 🙂

• 30 Bobbybee // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Not if you get there early enough, there are some toon tickets still available at the box office, which opens at 11.30. If you’re there for that time you’ll get one with the rest of the lads nay bother. Best to be waiting for it to open i reckon.

• 31 Altamullan // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:56 AM

I too have dodged and delivered blows (reasonable force/in self-defence) on various 80s excursions with our team, and I feel the same knot of excitement now. Hawaaaa! the lads! Really looking forward to how the season develops.

• 32 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:58 AM

TS…good to see you mate. It’s been a while!

I hope it will all change when the season starts and McClaren is hopefully more busy with pressing matters 😉

I am also curious about something Charmley said in his press release back in January about who will talk about what at the club. So far it seems it was all static as usual with McClaren doing all the talking!

• 33 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 25, 2015 at 10:59 AM

• 34 seantoon // Jul 25, 2015 at 11:01 AM

Thanks for your help Lads

• 35 Altamullan // Jul 25, 2015 at 11:03 AM

Charmley-Charnley-Charmless… Wee new hoo ewe mint Jesper 😉

• 36 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 25, 2015 at 11:04 AM

Even at the FF meeting the minutes states Charnley said almost nothing at all! What a w@nker! Pardon my French!

• 37 Bobbybee // Jul 25, 2015 at 11:04 AM

Altamullen, fair to say it was always worth it though. Extremely pleased it’s changed for the better or I would never have introduced my son to that carnage. So much better to have good craic with opposition fans than crack each other, like it was back then. Strange how everyone just accepted that as part of the matchday experience – we must have been crackers! 🙂

• 38 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 25, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Altamullan…my phone just don’t want to write his name 😉

• 39 Bobbybee // Jul 25, 2015 at 11:07 AM

We aim to please! Enjoy the game my friend. In fact, enjoy the whole season coz it’s going to be a whole lot better than that last disaster!

• 40 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 25, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Altamullan @ #20…thanks bud 🙂

• 41 Altamullan // Jul 25, 2015 at 11:11 AM

I think it was a bit lowest common denominator, ie treat people like animals and you bring out the most primitive/worse in all. I’d been abroad for a few years and first game back was Norwich at SJP, can’t recall season, at a newly developed stadium and without my knowledge a compete culture change. Pre-match I saw some young Norwich fans in showing colours in the Black Bull, and was really worried for them; I went and stood near just in case. The two friends I was with and then f-in-law pissed themselves laughing at my over concern.

• 42 banjax // Jul 25, 2015 at 11:12 AM

Newspaper speculation that Sissoko is being chased by Liverpool and Spurs is prominent everywhere this morning and had this been last season then for most of us it would have been the last straw with Mike Ashley. I don’t want Sissoko to be sold and anyway, if our transfer buying continues bringing in better quality players why would he want to move especially to Liverpool who are not Champions league this season despite spending Gazillions of £ and wasting a lot of it on duds, paying high selling low and in the process losing some their special talent and for all that their manager is under pressure for results which if they don’t come early will be sacked. If Sissoko went there he may well find he doesn’t suit a new manager. As far as Spurs are concerned they spend an awful lot of dosh badly especially on the Gareth Bale transfer money so no great shakes there. Personally, but for Arsenal and Chelsea, if I were Sissoko I’d stay put because things look like they are starting to change for Newcastle and if more quality follows, we could be in Europe next season. If he decides to leave then so be it but my Tag would be £20m and very disappointed !

• 43 Ron Knee // Jul 25, 2015 at 11:19 AM

I pinched this from the Chronic website. Wijnaldum and Janmaat in action:

• 44 switch365 // Jul 25, 2015 at 11:21 AM

McC has already brought in huge changes from the muppets previously in charge. Firstly it’ll be gratifying to witness football being played, instead of the hoofball we’ve become accustomed to. Also he has shown that he is capable of changing tactics mid-game. And lastly, he really does get us, pardew never did and charger was just clueless about most things.

• 45 Belfast // Jul 25, 2015 at 11:26 AM

I would stick a good wager on none of those clubs being interested in Sissoko.

Spurs want James McCarthy. Mourinho said only a few days ago Chelsea have to many midfielders plus he’s not good enough for Chelsea and Liverpool’s big spend is over.

Probably his agent feeding the media bollox {again)

• 46 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 25, 2015 at 11:29 AM

Shove coloccini in defensive mid, he can defies do a job there. He’s not got the pace, strength or ariel ability, that’s a recipe for disaster. but he can read a game & make a good pass. & if he gets beaten in dm, there will always be a defender to beat rather than just the keeper.

This way we can really invest in new defenders, 2 possibly 3 new central defenders if we can get rid of willo.

• 47 Altamullan // Jul 25, 2015 at 11:31 AM

I see The Blades have just won at St James’ Park… (Beat Exeter 2-1). We seem to be their first pre-season home game (testimonial). Appreciate all that’s previously been said re what is, and isn’t, important pre-season, but absence a good result (solid performance at least) will put the dampners on a bit. Also expect to see a glimpse of the shape SMc is considering for Steaming-Hampton game.

• 48 Bobbybee // Jul 25, 2015 at 11:37 AM

Atmullen, you ain’t wrong there mate. I recall all too vividly nearly having the life crushed out of me at both Spurs and the Lepping lane end at Sheff Wed, long before the disaster that took all those innocent lives in the cup semi. Did they learn? Not a chance. Treat people like wild animals, nobody should be surprised when they act like them. So, so much more pleasant now. I remember when urine used to flow like a waterfall down the steps in the old Leazes End – if it wasn’t all down the back of your Oxford bags and doc martens. 🙂

• 49 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 25, 2015 at 11:49 AM

100% in agreement Shadow_Shearer

• 50 1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE // Jul 25, 2015 at 11:50 AM

for the more optomistic ncle fans who have a bet best odds 33/1 top 6 hills and lad 20/1 without big 6 h and l. hcap rec 36 from chelsea 33 mc etc 15/1 at coral.5/2 top 10 at lad. for the less optomistic 5/1 go down general to be bottom end of august 5/1 joint fav lad.

• 51 ITUNDERASHELL // Jul 25, 2015 at 11:51 AM

Get the Tunisian Beast in and put collo in DM then watch the fireworks.

• 52 1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:03 PM

i think the club could take the coaching changes one step further by getting beardsley to move back to doing his previous job and having the u18 coach take an overall view and replace them with the 2 elite coaches who are working with them.

• 53 nufconceandfuturekings // Jul 25, 2015 at 12:24 PM

I’m counting the days on the calendar. What a change. Our beloved Toon getting its soul back.
    Top 7 and League Cup.

• 54 Boot Boy // Jul 25, 2015 at 1:59 PM

Very good words indeed from rain mac!
    He has impressed me from the start and the club are keen to back him.
    Even the back four against timbers was a clear sign to the board to get the defence sorted.
    clever indeed!