The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Coloccini Missing From Squad – He Could Be On His Way

3:43 pm, Sunday, July 26th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 88 Comments

The local press reported in mid-week that Fabricio Coloccini would be playing in today’s game but not only did he not play but he wasn’t even with the squad.

And with the papers continually reporting he is wanted by Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew, then it could be that he and Newcastle have decided to part ways – which is maybe why he didn’t even make the trip to Sheffield today.

fabricio coloccini arrives west brom coach

Fabricio Coloccini arriving for West Ham game
It could have been his last game for Newcastle.

Colo is still the captain, and it was interesting that Daryl Janmaat was names the captain for the day – and he is the favorite among Newcastle fans to become the new captain at the club.

Who Should Be Newcastle's Captain Next Season?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Colo has been troubled by an Achilles injury which is why he’s missed games up to this point, but he is fit again and was expected to start.

With one year left on his contract it was thought that if we get two top class center-backs in over the summer months, then it might be a good time for Colo to leave – and maybe even get a two year deal at Palace.

And yesterday in the Chronicle there was a report that Newcastle would offer both Papiss Cisse and Fab Coloccini for sale, and the club still need a clear-out of players this summer.

We may be reading too much into this – but maybe we can get a clarification on the situation from Steve McClaren.

Tags: Contracts · Fabricio Coloccini · Friendlies · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Transfer News and Rumours

88 responses so far ↓

• 1 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 26, 2015 at 3:46 PM

Repost from last threat

Young magpie

Remember SDJ has been around the players for a year, the whole team has got to know him. Where as wijnaldum has just walked in to the team. As well as been around the players for a year, SDJ is more vocal & more of a natural leader than wijnaldum, Janmaat & colback

• 2 Ron Knee // Jul 26, 2015 at 3:48 PM

If Coloccini goes, who will Perez have to talk to?

• 3 Our Toon // Jul 26, 2015 at 3:51 PM

Young Magpie

SDJ has been at the club for 12 months, he has the respect of the players both on and off the pitch. He’s not a new signing, he probably knows each amd every player from senior through to the youth set up. All of this is a massive difference to someone who probably only just learned where the toilets are!!

Agreed he spent a lot of time out injured but injuries will happen to every player it’s something they can all relate to, being new to a club and having zero relationship with 98% of the players though isn’t like being injured.

• 4 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 26, 2015 at 3:55 PM

Big deal, he wasn’t involved in a friendly. This doesn’t mean he’s on his way.

Even if he is on his way, he wants to go back Argentina, not Crystal palace!

• 5 firebug666 // Jul 26, 2015 at 3:55 PM

SDJ would be my captain, I think he would have been Pardew’s captain but the soft tw@ was frightened to upset Coloccini.

He was made Vice Captain last season as he has all the attributes and experience.

Out of his own mouth he said, “I am vocal on the training field as well as on the pitch, and I like to have conversations with the coaches about training”; sounds like the man for the job to me.

• 6 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 26, 2015 at 3:56 PM

That’s it our toon, you tell that young magpie!!

• 7 Bambams // Jul 26, 2015 at 3:57 PM

It makes sense.
    I never thought Ash would let him run down his last 12 months on his wages to walk away for nothing.

How much would we get for him from Crystal Palace…£3-4 million ??

• 8 Our Toon // Jul 26, 2015 at 3:59 PM

I’d be happy with 2m and it’ll mean his hefty wages are off the books as well.

• 9 TudorCrisps // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:00 PM

• 10 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:00 PM

That’s it our toon, you tell that bambams

• 11 firebug666 // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:00 PM

That sounds fair to be honest, Pardew really rates him and he has until the last two “want away” seasons served us well. I think he is worth at least £3 million.

• 12 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:01 PM

Nice Goal from Wijnaldum shown on SS News

• 13 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:03 PM

As mcclaren said about colo. He is 33 years old!

His value is not increasing. The Argentina team wanted him for free

• 14 Ron Knee // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:03 PM

Cabaye in action:

• 15 nufc_eire // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:07 PM

Offer williamson and obertan in part exchange for byram. No brainer. Could knock a couple mil off the price

• 16 ilovetoon8788 // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:08 PM

If colo leaves means we need 2 new centre back desperately. Not one but two. Or we will struggle. We’ve looked so poor in defence in pre season it’s scary. Our attack is probably OK and not too bad.

But defence..this will struggle in the championship even.

• 17 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:13 PM

Our defence needs strengthening desperately – hopefully Mbemba is a start if he gets his work permit.
    Only one I would keep out of our defence is Janmaat after that would get rid of the lot

• 18 Jail for Ashley // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:13 PM

Wouldn’t be upset to see him going at all, nothing to do with his ability but his attitude over the last few years and his captaincy has been a joke, I don’t think it’s been discussed but I think his attitude as a captain must be at least a bit part factor in our atrocious form and dispirited displays. My only worry is that they’re leaving it very late to get a cohesive CB partnership in place if he does go.

• 19 The Newcastle Armchair // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:14 PM

I’ve got a feeling that the defender from Anderlecht is just a big practical joke by MA to the fans portraying that the regime of selling players isn’t over.

‘Chaz, as soon as you get the Chance, sell Mbemba’

• 20 will die for the toon army // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:15 PM

Perez is a young lad he he will get friends. Ssisoko played well.

so get Shaqiri on the other wing and we will b month water add that to Janmaatt and Haidara coming in to provide e crosses. Happy days r coming.

Fir Aarins and Perz they r not ready for the pressure to start yet I wld keep them as back up for shaqiri and Sissoko respectively.

Sissoko………….De Jong…………..Shaqiri

That is month watering.

• 21 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:17 PM

Wouldn’t mind Collocini leaving NUFC providing he is replaced NOW and not after he leaves.

On his day he looks like one of the best ball playing Centre backs in the PL, but the majority of the time he is bang average .

Also I think he is one of the worst captains (on the pitch) we have ever had as in our numerous drubbings under Pardew he would just look at the floor and do nothing rather than give the players an earful .

• 22 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:18 PM

Shame we didn’t go for Alderwireld as I have been banging on about him for a few years and he is now at Spurs .

• 23 Bambams // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:19 PM

Boys you are probably right. £2m fee and get him off the wage bill.
    His wage will cover shaqiri’s. …
    Oh I wish

• 24 The Newcastle Armchair // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:20 PM

Bit irrelevant but can anyone tell me what Graeme Sounness did after the Bowyer and Dyer fight in terms of playing together?

• 25 Bambams // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:20 PM

Keep saying it Van Dijk
    He wants to leave Celtic, final year of his contract and he would save the most on removal van if he signed for us !!

• 26 Jail for Ashley // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:20 PM

Ian Toon,
    I guess this is becoming tiresome for everyone but firstly I can categorically state that I have never once mentioned you in a post to Ed, the only time I have contacted Ed was when we were plagued with that multiple troll a couple of different times.
    Secondly you talk about nastiness, you continually mention me in posts when talking about the wheat and the chaff etc and your accusations of me being these several different posters considering your history is beyond laughable.
    Thirdly, believe me I have read that exchange very closely and although it is pushy pardew talking to himself it is clear as day that the answer is supposed to be Ian Toon, I’ll post it again in case you are unsure, I suggest you read it again and stop your BS !!!

• 27 Jail for Ashley // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:21 PM

• 28 Jail for Ashley // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:23 PM

By the way that’s Ian Toon logged in as Pushy Pardew talking to himself, from post 52. Quite unbelievable he’s denying it !

• 29 Altamullan // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:26 PM

Goals from today

• 30 Jib // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:27 PM

You may find this interesting

• 31 Sazzer // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:30 PM

Krul should be among the choices. Let’s see in next Magpies episodes who stands out.

• 32 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:30 PM

@ Altamullan

Cheers .

• 33 Jib // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:30 PM

Jail for Ashley
    I guess this is becoming tiresome for everyone

You’re not wrong there bonny lad

• 34 Jail for Ashley // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:32 PM

Don’t you start !

• 35 Bobbybee // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:33 PM

I see the Express are mischief making again with a report that claims we’re stalling on offering Aarons a new contract. That, of course, goes directly against what the Chronicle and the club have stated – not to mention what has come out of the young mans mouth himself. With two years left on his contract,, he’s already said all he wants to do is keep impressing Macca with his hard work. He’ll get his contract but I imagine he’ll want to show what he’s worth in the PL first, which will, if he continues at his current rate, give him a much stronger hand when it comes down to negotiations. One thing is for certain, Macca won’t allow this lad to slip through his fingers, regardless of what the Express might say.

• 36 Mister Tuff // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:34 PM

jail – Ian Toon is not the first person to be caught red handed, pants down, dead to rights and then deny responsibility.
    He is preceeded by the likes of Fred West and the Yorkshire Ripper.

• 37 Jail for Ashley // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:35 PM

A long list of creepy criminals !

• 38 Rotonda heights // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:37 PM

true but charnley does have form for taking too long to sort things.

• 39 Mister Tuff // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:37 PM

Mr Tubbs…………………………………OOT
    Willo & Obertron…………………………OOT
    Blog pest……………………………………OOT
    Crooks and Tricksters………………….. OOT.

• 40 will die for the toon army // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:39 PM

If Cisse is to stay we need two more signings. Abdennour and Shaqiri. But if he is to leave add Rolan on that list.
    my dream team
    Sissoko………………..De jong…………….Shaqiri
    Darlow, Taylor, Anita, Cabella, Perez, Aarons, Cisse.

• 41 Jib // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:41 PM

• 42 jimmysmith // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:44 PM

To Palace?, to join Cabaye and Bamford as Pardew continues to show himself to be far better than the villain a significant and unthinking section of the newcastle crowd would have had us believe.

• 43 Rotonda heights // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:44 PM

used to have a lot of time for colo but there seems something a bit cowardly and almost spiteful about him in his play sometimes.

re- the iantoongate scandal and reading the pushy exchanges again, who is he kidding ?

• 44 Ian Toon // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:47 PM

I haven’t researched any of it because my conscience has always been clear. I denied it it December 2012 when Ed informed me that he had his own thoughts and what were mine. It transpired that PP had acknowledged he was hung over and basically messing around. Your contention has always been that I was both parties so why therefore did I not talk to myself. Even with your mates so called forensic skills you simply cannot account for that. Ibizatoon – Back by Popular demand, clearly only saw PP as the one to raise the issue with.
    On blackening your name- you are forever making an assumption that I am referring to you! I really am not. Seriously I am bored to death with this – you should move on. I did look back on Sack Llambias and he was posting 18 months ago and ceased when Llambias was sacked(?) by Ashley. He lived in Burnley where Beattie lived – I am not suggesting they are the same person. You and your mate are often linking me with other people but I have always only posted as Ian Toon. Seriously and in all modesty why would I need the reinforcement of others.
    As I said earlier I really can’t be bothered to keep making the same declaration of innocence. Your mate is already off my Xmas card list.
    You seem to have recruited Tsunki to your cause which is disappointing. I am not aware of refere

• 45 Ian Toon // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:48 PM

References to barbecues – I pass.

• 46 Bobbybee // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:48 PM

Rotonda, i suspect a lot of that had Ashley’s fingerprints all over it. Now such business is down to the board, I can’t see Macca and Carr allowing that continue. In fairness to Chumlee, he’s done a canny job of persuading our new signings to come here ahead of CL clubs. I imagine if he let Aarons go, his job might be on the line! Like to think so anyway. The early signs are good.

• 47 Rotonda heights // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:50 PM

you’re causing drowsiness again. Both cabaye and colo both openly criticised pardew during his time here.

Are any of the top 8 or London based clubs paying a near 30 year old 100K a week to join them. Cabaye was great for us but went on strike to get away under pardew remember.

Colo is 33 and has mentally been back in Argentina ever since his family left after his affair with the local lass. London has more direct flights to Buenos Aires. Again he was great for a while but we move on.

• 48 Rotonda heights // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:50 PM

are any other

• 49 geordie157 // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:51 PM

I like the idea ofgetting byram with Williamson as partof the deal. Maybe loan them Armstrong or vuckic too.

Lewis cook would be a good signing, then loan him back for the season.

• 50 Offkey // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:52 PM

Collo can go if a quality defender comes in, as well as Mbemba….sometimes great, recently atrocious……good servant to the club who got lost somewhere along the line.

On Ian – he will deny this until he is blue in the face, I have even talked to him about it in 2013 where he claimed that he is not Carl or Pushy………but they are friends of his…….

• 51 Rotonda heights // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:53 PM

”Seriously and in all modesty why would I need the reinforcement of others.”
    – – – – – – – – – – – – –

I think this is what people are wondering.

• 52 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:54 PM

@ will die for the toon army

I like the look of that team m8 but I still feel we could improve at LB (Although I do rate Haidara) and I would go for Jetro Willems . Him and Janmaat would get assists galore .

Shaquiri would mak a real statement and would take us to the next level . Although in some ways I hope we don’t get him so Aarons gets his chance .

—Sissoko—————-De Jong————–Shaquiri—

• 53 Ian Toon // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:54 PM

Incidentally PP was not banned by Ed but he saw it as a further reason to sort out his drinking problem. I haven’t spoken to him for some time but he was living in Leeds. He at one time was researching the possibility of taking a shareholding in a gym next to The Premier Inn in The Team Valley. He did post randomly earlier this year I seem to remember.

• 54 Ian Toon // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:56 PM

Jail – I used to get on well with BandB but I think she feels a sense of loyalty to you.

• 55 Rotonda heights // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:56 PM

”than the villain a significant and unthinking section of the newcastle crowd would have had us believe”

– – – – – – –

Oh we were thinking altright. we were thinking how much more of this turgid c–p do we have to watch every week.

• 56 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:57 PM

And the only reason Cabaye has went to Palace is because he wants game time so he doesn’t get dropped from the French squad, not his love for Pardew .

• 57 Ian Toon // Jul 26, 2015 at 4:58 PM

Rotonda- I am happy to come on here and chat about football. Lilongwe, Transfer Sage, even Catchy.

• 58 toonbrother // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:00 PM

Hoping and praying this is true

• 59 Ian Toon // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:01 PM

56Big Papa- Are you sure, our 5th placed finish was a good season for both. Winning away at West Ham with cabaye scoring two was one of Pardew’s declared best team performances I recall.

• 60 toonbrother // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:02 PM

cabaye’s gone to palace?

• 61 WWSBRD // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:05 PM

So how long before we start to worry again? Defence is certainly not looking much cop and that was close to our strongest current set up barring Colo who might be away

Am not worried obviously but it’s a growing shallow concern atm. Certainly need some new faces. Mbemba is a good start but time is running out to shift others and up the quality

• 62 cyprus // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:06 PM

Can I find this game anywhere?

• 63 toonbrother // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:07 PM

If we can get a left sided central defender to replace colo we’d be ready for the season
    We hung on to momo, strengthened our midfield with Wignaldum and (unnecesarily imo) bought another centre forward in mitrovic
    We ‘ve performed excellently in the transfer market so far
    Not sure mbemba is the answer to our defensive woes.
    We need to get rid of colo and replace him with Kongolo or Abdennour

• 64 Belfast // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:08 PM

Good crack as usual Ian. It’s the way you tell them.

• 65 cyprus // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:08 PM

Prediction: Cabaye will be average at Crystal Palace. You may quote me (later) and I may apologise for dubbing him as overrated :0)

• 66 WWSBRD // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:09 PM

Now Ian Toon is Mr Multiple accounts yeah? Best avoided?

I get lost with all this stuff! Jib is similar but a different person from Ian Toon…?

Like a frigging soap opera this place

• 67 Ian Toon // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:10 PM

Pardew won’t do us any favours but as posted earlier lets go for Bolasie.

• 68 Belfast // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:11 PM

Goals are on sky sports website Cyprus

• 69 cyprus // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:12 PM

If I may. Don’t get lost in all this. Read each post, make your own decision, if you like a post, respond. If not read on. No need to do all the detective work.

• 70 Ian Toon // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:12 PM

66WWSBRD // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:09 PM
    Have we ever engaged? Suit yourself but thanks for the back handed compliment. With people I take as I find.

• 71 HoboToon // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:12 PM

Im so sick of seeing comments from people that position should be considered for captaincy. Janmaat is a natural leader and the only one I have seen last year to care or communicate to anyone. Zanetti and Lahm were one of the best captains of all time mind you

• 72 cyprus // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:12 PM

Thanks Belfast. Will check out

• 73 jimmysmith // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:12 PM

Rubbish, he’s a capable and hard working manager.

• 74 cyprus // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:13 PM

Is Bramble still available?

• 75 Ian Toon // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:17 PM

Belfast – were you ever Belfast Magpie. Because looking back I came across him. He was a miserable geezer so I naturally assumed it wasn’t you in a former life. Mind, if you were Tsunki would probably disown you as well!
    It has been raining for two days down south and I haven’t met anyone claiming to be a school friend of MA. Don’t bother to explain there is only so much intrigue I can take.

• 76 WWSBRD // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:19 PM

If people weren’t posting novels about their prolonged back story fueds I would mate but I’d rather read about NUFC than this guff

Back handed compliment?

• 77 Ian Toon // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:22 PM

Cyprus – cabaye has been my favourite toon player for years. I always admired his full range of passing and his ability to pick a pass quickly. He had a nasty side to him which was also an ad a rage. We fell apart when he left.

• 78 Jib // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:24 PM

I think we’ll get Abdennour from Monaco
    His agent Abdelkader Jilan has met with Barca (his preferred buyer) but of course Barca have a transfer embargo in place so the agent suggests a purchase and loan back to Monaco.
    However having put the idea into Jardim’s (Monaco’s manager ) head and already having an offer of €25 million from NUFC on the table Monaco are now trying to persuade the Tunisian into joining us.
    My personal opinion is that for not much more we could get Alessio Romagnoli (the new Nesta ) from Roma

• 79 Rotonda heights // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:25 PM

jimmy smith

In a 20 year career can you tell me what he’s won, what his losing streak record at 3 different clubs is, what footballing identity his teams have, how many actual and near relegations he’s had, how many sackings ,yadda yadda yadda. . . .

You must be one very easily pleased punter

• 80 Rotonda heights // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:26 PM

either would be amazing

• 81 Belfast // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:28 PM

Ian you know fine rightly Belfast Magpie was me lol

The barbecue thing was a joke, basically somebody at the mag met Mike Ashleys best mate from 40 years ago at a barbecue and Mikeys mate was telling a few tales and the mag put it on their website.

These tales where a little far fetched to say the least.

• 82 switch365 // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:31 PM

I desperately hope McC and Carr are at an advanced stage of talks to bring in 2 quality cb’s, or we really are in the brown stuff.
    It also needs to be impressed upon Cashley that they need to come in BEFORE sales are made, not contingent on sales.
    There should have been at least 2 cb’s, signed and bedded in for the past 3 weeks, yet once again we are way behind where we should be and may end up suffering for it.

It’s all well and good being linked with the likes of Abdennour, Matip, Rüdiger, van Dijk etc. but linked doesn’t improve our team, only signings do.

• 83 Bobbybee // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:34 PM

I’ve never given pre seasons a second thought. Remember the game at Leeds when Forster virtually dropped the ball into his own net? Not done bad since though. We’ve still got two quality players to come in, as well as whoever else is lined up – they’ll be doing pre season, wherever they’re at now. The transfer list tells us that CB’s are a priority, so along with Mbemba, I suspect another is in the pipeline. Everything might not be in place for the opening game, thanks to visa issues with Mitrovic and Mbemba, but we can thank the old farts at the FA for that, with their dithering. Still over a month with the window after all. Not ideal, but as Macca has said repeatedly, better to get the right players. Either way, we’ll be better off going into this season than we were finishing the last. If Mbemba trains hard, he can get the munch bunch game under his belt with luck. Mitrovic should be ok for york and the munch bunch. We’re already looking much better going forward and with two new CB’s, the defence will improve rapidly.

• 84 Ketsbaia9 // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:36 PM

There’s too many players that we still need. We need Van Dijk or mbodji, Kongolo for left back. Rod fanni as back up for janmaat. We need at least 1 winger (shaqiri/thauvin)and another striker (aubameyang). I would also get rid of colback and tiote and fer. We’d make 10m on that. Williamson needs to be released. Dummett is useless, as it obertan and gouffran. Riviere can stay until Jan and we must keep cisse because he’s a game changer.

• 85 Malta Mag // Jul 26, 2015 at 5:40 PM

As much as I’ve been Colocinni’s biggest critic as a defender Ive always stressed that he would have been better playing with a more stringent centre back alongside him or sitting just in front as a holding midfielder. There is no doubting his ability on the ball or his love for the club but as I’ve said he was never a great “defender” and therefore if he goes then as long as he’s suitably replaced, I don’t believe he’ll be a great loss. To Crystal Palace? Please, anything but that? Abroad or into the Championship, yes but not to those lot please!!!!!

• 86 davis_toons // Jul 26, 2015 at 6:58 PM

“Williamson has surely got to be the first out the door, we should set up a fund to help out leeds raise the extra cash so they can get their man..”

Never would have thought of that.

• 87 thevirus // Jul 26, 2015 at 8:11 PM

Good riddance, to old,to slow and doesn’t want to play for us anymore, take Taylor and Williamson with u please . Get your hand back in your pocket chubby chops can’t go back on your promise now. 2 new cbs and a striker if Cisse isn’t up to the job anymore.

• 88 AlfiePotter // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:06 PM

Where was Tiote today ???

previous post: Newcastle Draw 2-2 At Bramall Lane – Siem And Gini Score