The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren Not Sure If More Players Will Be Signed

11:13 pm, Sunday, July 26th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 113 Comments

Steve McClaren was interviewed by Sky Sports News after the 2-2 draw today at Sheffield United,  and he was asked if there were more players coming through the door this summer, and the head coach surprisingly didn’t seem too sure there would be any more players brought in.

steve mcclaren closeup at sheffiled united

Steve McClaren at Bramall Lane today

We assume that’s after we get Chancel Mbemba through the door later this week.

Steve said he was pleased with the squad he has at the moment.

This is some of what he had to say:

¨Gini getting a couple of goals in the two games that he’s played, showing his quality and that’s what we’ve got in Mitrovic and Mbemba.”

“That’s what the club promised at the end of last season and the club have delivered on three very good players,”

“I don’t know if there will be more to come. As I said before, we’ve got to be patient, they’ve got to be the right players.”

“I’m happy with the players that we’ve got here, I’m happy with the additions.”

About a week ago Steve talked about players we were looking to sign, that were still under the radar screen, at least as far as the press were concerned.

But of course we still have to get them into the club – but we’d be very surprised if more players aren’t brought in before September.

However, if the right players are not available this summer we don’t want to bring players in just for the sake of it – that never works.

It’s almost like that’s what we did when we brought in Argentine striker Facundo Ferreyra last summer, and that one certainly didn’t work.

If we cannot get our top targets in permanently, then maybe we could look at some season-long loan deals – for good players?

Tags: Head coach · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

113 responses so far ↓

• 1 swemag // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:15 PM

No highlights from the game available?

I cannot see the one from sky sports due to my location. 🙁

• 2 firebug666 // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:16 PM

If you can, install a program called HOLA, it will change you location to the country you want to play the vids.

• 3 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:21 PM

Ashley Out!

• 4 welshgeordie9 // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:22 PM

And if those 3 new players get injured with Aarons and De Jong then we will be back to square one.

We have already got marveaux and Cabella out injured on the wings, riviere up front, we have got three crap centre backs, how the hell can he be pleased oh yeah and i nearly forgot gouffran and obertan are still bloody here.

• 5 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:23 PM

Uh oh, we’re in trouble,
    Mikey’s come up trumps again
    And burst our bubble….

Early days for the pessimism bus but book early to avoid disappointment.

• 6 geordie157 // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:24 PM

After Mbemba the bare minimum should be another centre back and a winger.
    If we offload a few,then I’dadd another striker and a back up right back to that.

• 7 Belfast // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:25 PM

Down with this sort of thing!

• 8 jane // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:26 PM

“I don’t know if there will be more to come.”

this could be..

I don’t know because I’m not in the loop.

I don’t know because they may not come to fruition.

I don’t know because we’re not going after anyone else.

• 9 worthing magpiee // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:26 PM

Thanks firebugg666
    I agree, im over the moon with mbemba signing, just think another commanding cb beside him would be ideal, willo, well is willo, saylor will be on the physio table,collo im happy with him to see out his last year, and las is still young and learning, surley we’ve got another 15 mil lying around!

• 10 Belfast // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:27 PM

Worthing don’t listen to him. Stick with me and you’ll be in the posh seats within one week.

• 11 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:28 PM

Well I missed all the hilarity. Not like me that. Although I’d be quite pleased if I had at least had a hand in starting it. 😉

• 12 bladeuser // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:29 PM

Every last man and his dog knows we need a top class cb but not this shitty club saylor is lets b honest no good willo i dont even want to write his name and colo no pace gets out jumped 8 out of 10 times if no cb is signed and colo stays and gets injured we could have and its possible a partnership of willo and saylor for some games this is why this club is a pathetic joke and these two could get sm in a lot of bother if we have no points on the board after the opening games

• 13 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:31 PM

Aye stick with Belfast he’ll get you in with all the multiple posters you’d ever want to meet. Rub shoulders with the blog stars.

• 14 Belfast // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:33 PM

The 3 players aren’t enough like. I don’t mind the optimisim but a couple of injuries and you’ll end up with the same defence as last season.

• 15 Graeme // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:33 PM

If we staart in 2 weeks time with only Mbemba as an improvement to our defence, then it is simply not going to change a thing. By all accounts the guy is very good, but a miracle worker he isnt.
    We desperately need a 2nd CB brought in to Collo & Saylor can be shipped out.
    Collo doesn’t want to be here, Saylor is only good for 12 games a year, if we are lucky.
    McC has 2 weeks and 2 practice matches to create a cohesive, functioning defence, which, given the players he has available today, is simply not going to happen, simply based on the goals we conceded last season with the same culpits (Plus One new).
    Quite frankly, its not good enough.

• 16 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:34 PM

One guy with armchair in his name ( oh how I laughed and laughed) suggested I had ran out of crack. Or was it craic? Ahhhhh what’s the difference? 🙂

• 17 worthing magpiee // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:36 PM

Lol tsunki, just saw your comment! Sounds like il fit in just fine, Belfast ive always wanted to be the blog whore haha

• 18 Belfast // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:36 PM

I hope he’s just playing it down though.

• 19 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:37 PM

Well I told you so. I love saying that. I told you so ha it never gets old! Yes, SM has the look of realisation. If we start with the usual back door boys I think SM might cut a sad and pathetic figure by november

• 20 banjax // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:38 PM

McClaren obviously keeps the truth close by. If you look at what he actually said using the word patience, meaning the quality of players we are after means we ‘..have to be patient..’ So he doesn’t know if we’ll get them in this window and that is about right when we have seen how long things have taken till now.
    McClaren also talked of ‘off the radar’ signings as well, so let’s none of us jump to any conclusions just yet.

• 21 bettyswallocks // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:40 PM

Belfast…….. That’s enough sarcastic frivolity now. This blog is for serious football discussion only.

• 22 swemag // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:41 PM

So what is a realistic CB for us that would be a big improvement?

Should we think that the Tunisian guy is out of our price range?

Shawcross from Stoke, do we really think that Stoke would sell their tod defender to a direct competitor for a reasonable fee? Would even want to change?

The 23 year old Schalke man or the dutch guy in Celtic, to me they are unproven at this level and they don’t make me jump of excitement.

So who exactly is it that we are looking at to improve our defense?

• 23 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:41 PM

This is no time to PANIC! Keep calm everybody. Keep CALM!!!

• 24 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:42 PM

Betty you are wasting precious time and energy there…

• 25 Belfast // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:43 PM

He sounds like a bloke who’s just been told no more incomings unless there’s outgoings. 🙂

He’s now desperately trying to move folk on with no joy.

Yep I’m going with that.

• 26 swemag // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:44 PM

Ron Vlaar is still on free I think. No?

• 27 Belfast // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:46 PM

Oh crap I apologise for my non football releated posts.

Without making any excuses it wasn’t my fault.

• 28 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:46 PM

Swemag ah but have you considered whatsisname. From thingamabob? Or the Sino-Croatian who plies his trade at wheresyerface he would be a bargain. Don’t even get me started on that whodyacallhim…..

• 29 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:47 PM

Non football related? Embrace the darkness….

• 30 Bobbybee // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:48 PM

Jane, or it could just mean that only if they’re the right ones. Surely nobody thought this mess could be fixed after one window, following eight years of neglect? If he’d said a definite no, I would be concerned, but the negotiations are out of his hands. Better than making false promises. It’s going to take time to fix so many wrongs. None of it is his fault, but he’s trying to put it right. Mid table until January would be an improvement and give him chance to replace who needs replacing. I’m naturally an optimistic person, but even I’m not expecting us to be challenging for anything this season. Steady improvement followed by further investment is about the best we can hope for this season.

• 31 swemag // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:50 PM

Sorry Tsunki, just cannot remember the names of all the CBs we have been linked with…anyway, you know which ones I mean.
    Those guys that at some stage or another have been touted as the final solution to all our defense problems over the past month.

• 32 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:51 PM

we need a CB and a right winger at the least

• 33 Belfast // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:53 PM

Take the positives…

You would probably have to pay for the Pushy gate debacle anywhere else.

It’s all free here.

• 34 bettyswallocks // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:57 PM

There will be a lot of comings and goings towards the end of the window me thinks.

Still too much posturing going on at the moment.

• 35 Tsunki // Jul 27, 2015 at 12:01 AM

• 36 bettyswallocks // Jul 27, 2015 at 12:01 AM

Jail has taken offence and gone into hiding. If only Ian/ pushy would own up and apologise then everyone could get back to serious football discussion.

• 37 Novocastrian66 // Jul 27, 2015 at 12:06 AM

Swemag. Vlar is out for four months with a knee injury.

• 38 JackButler // Jul 27, 2015 at 12:13 AM

Oh no that’s the wind taken out of our sails. Just when we all thought we had turned a corner and that the fat man had finally woken up we could be about to embark on another below average season thanks to very a shakey defence

• 39 nightfa11 // Jul 27, 2015 at 12:17 AM

i agree.. we need 2 more players..

– tall, strong CB – rudiger/nastasic etc
    – and a striker/winger – berahino

• 40 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Jul 27, 2015 at 12:21 AM

• 41 Menelauos // Jul 27, 2015 at 12:37 AM

Well. There goes my optimism.
    Is it worth assuming all those unsold season tickets have gone then? If we don’t bring in atleast another centre back after Mbemba were gonna struggle.
    hopefully this is just a tactic to get those under the radar players in.

• 42 Derek // Jul 27, 2015 at 12:37 AM

If there are no more signings I think top 10 would be a tough ask, but add our usually long list of injuries and we could be back to where we were last season.

What if Wijnaldum, Mitrovic, SDJ, Mbemba, Aarons either get injured or fail to adapt to the premier league?

The biggest thing Ashley’s done so far is create optimism amongst fans. People were talking about top 6 on here. If his plan is to fill the emptying seats with overly hopeful fans for the next couple of years and quieten the protests, it has probably have worked.

Time will tell…

• 43 lesh // Jul 27, 2015 at 12:44 AM

Schteve’s happy with the squad?

Sounds familiar – didn’t Pardew and Carver such words too.

• 44 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2015 at 12:50 AM

lesh…and by such words Schteve shall be judged!

…really find it strange why he would say such nonsense!

Also find it strange that there are no connection between what he says to the media on a daily basis…it’s basically contradictions on contradictions. Why say anything at all?

• 45 Harley // Jul 27, 2015 at 12:51 AM

If we sign no one else other than a big cb I’ll be happy.
    1 top striker, 1 top midfielder and 2 top centre backs is fine with me.
    Another winger/striker would be ideal, like some have mentioned Berahinio. But I pray the club can see that cb is the big weak link.

• 46 terencelim // Jul 27, 2015 at 12:55 AM

It’s just too hard for the club to let Ashley ass lickers win for once.

• 47 Derek // Jul 27, 2015 at 12:55 AM

I think Steve’s words to the media are not his own, just like Carver’s and Pardew’s BS. A part of taking the job is that you must say whatever words are put in front of you and those words are decided from higher up. Just a hunch..

• 48 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2015 at 12:58 AM

Derek…if that’s the case I honestly find it hard to respect him as a coach or as a person!

…really hope that’s not the case!

• 49 Derek // Jul 27, 2015 at 1:10 AM

I also hope it’s not the case, but those emails to the fans signed with his name suggest to me otherwise. Seems like PR are at work and they understand that fans are more likely to believe the manager than another other employee of the club.

• 50 Bobbybee // Jul 27, 2015 at 1:21 AM

Derek, do you actually believe a man like McClaren, a well respected and former England manager, would take a job on those terms? You do realise you’re saying he’s involved in a conspiracy with Ashley, if that’s the case? He took the job because he wanted to, not because he’s skint. He can’t commit to saying we will sign more players, because he only wants to sign the right players and it’s not as easy as it sounds. He has obligations to only buy the right players and so far, we’ve signed genuine quality. He won’t ruin that by going out and buying dross, as has happened in the past. To be honest, one more CB would be an excellent first window. Let’s see how it pans out first before immediately assuming the worst. Plus, as it stands he might have to rely on squad members, so coming out and saying ‘to be honest, the majority are garbage’ won’t help anyone. Just look how they responded to Carver! This was never a quick fix, he needs time. Let’s give him it eh? Nobody likes Ashley really, but we’re stuck with him.

• 51 Charlietoon // Jul 27, 2015 at 1:23 AM

If he says we are getting more in it gives the teams we are buying off licence to chuck another mill on the asking price because we are then under pressure to do so otherwise he looks like a liar. Think he is playing it just right.

• 52 Sazzer // Jul 27, 2015 at 1:49 AM

I don’t like this interview. Honeymoon is over.

• 53 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 27, 2015 at 2:41 AM

That fat pig will never learn. If he thinks he’s “relegation proofed” his team by spending the money he has, he’d better think again. 80% of this squad is still rubbish. I’d like to say I’m sorry to ST holders who have bought into the lie (again) and renewed, but honestly I’m not sorry at all. You make your own bed, you lie in it. I’m off to the betting shop. Newcastle 0 -Southampton 4.

• 54 WestOzMag // Jul 27, 2015 at 3:25 AM

Going into the new season with a 33yr old slow git that wants to leave, a crocked fist pumping nugget and the most incompetant cb in all of the leagues in the uk im dreading to think what will happen again. Dear me, as if last year didnt ring the alarm bells. Most frustrating club in the EPL this one

• 55 El Sleeve // Jul 27, 2015 at 3:45 AM

abdennour wouldve been good but we have mbemba, colo, saylor, lascelles, willo and dummett. that should see us through

• 56 Derek // Jul 27, 2015 at 3:56 AM

I’m not saying McLaren is conspiring against fans and supports Ashley’s business minded approach at the expense of footballing performance. I do, however, think he’s under very strict instructions as to what he says to the media. Do you honestly think he’s happy with the squad how it is? Does he really think in his own head that a central defense consisting of Willo, Saylor, Lascelles, Dummett, Satka, and possibly Mbemba (which is still pending) is satisfactory?

When he keeps saying “it will take time to bring in the right players” over and over, it sends alarm bells ringing for me. After last seasons disaster, it is a PRIORITY that we replace the two CBs in this window. Mbemba would be a start, but it not a guarantee that will be enough. So will we wait until next January for another CB, or next season, or next 2 years?! I’m sure we can afford a improvement on Colo/Willo/Saylor in this window with no problem, but the “right player” sounds to me like one who will 1) make big bucks for Cashley in future, and 2) be an improvement to the squad, in that order.

• 57 Our Toon // Jul 27, 2015 at 4:23 AM

Think we all need to take a step back and not get carried away with every interview given. I think it’s right to try to manage expectations as well though as McClaren seems to be doing in this interview, I’m still against Ashley’s reign unlike some who have done a uturn, no doubt in a week if no one else is signed they’ll do another uturn. We are as consistent with our support for this regime or lack of support as the team is on the pitch or has been for 2 or 3 years.

I’ve said we should look at top 10 minimum but I’d like to us target European football for next season to keep the more ambitious players here, however 10th is progress considering how badly last season went. For the past 2 weeks we’ve had completely over the top responses of 6th etc, now these very people will talk of relegation. We really have no middle ground!!

We all take something different from the interview, my take on it is that he’s trying to manage expectations to say he’s happy with squad but if someone leaves we will bring in a replacement. Let’s have realism though rather the deluded ramblings of 6th etc. If we sign no one else and no one leaves then i think we are short but we have imoroved on last season, i wont be tk fussed if we then get 2 or 3 in january though…..steady progress its ultimately futile whilst he’s still the owner

• 58 King_Solano // Jul 27, 2015 at 4:29 AM

34.1 million pounds in the bank….net spend this window so far 34.5 million pounds. Spending stops. Coincidence??

• 59 lochinvar // Jul 27, 2015 at 6:07 AM

Everton manager Roberto Martinez has refused to rule out making a move to sign Celtic defender Virgil van Dijk, with the Scottish club reportedly wanting £10m for the 24-year-old. (Daily Mail)

Really have to try to believe that McLaren’s statement is a smoke screen to keep us under the radar when negotiating for further players to complete the squad. If that helps avoid us being drawn onto bidding wars for some players so be it. However if it’s the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning of new signings then that would be so short sighted. And what are to be make of the super surprise signing that was indicated last week? Don’t tell me that is Colo being persuaded to stay ? Nor should Ashley think that he does half now (attack/midfield) and the other half ( defence ) in January. That would be half hearted. Get the job done now, up front.

• 60 G // Jul 27, 2015 at 6:09 AM

@57, the voice of reason at last. It’ll never catch on mind.

• 61 jimmysmith // Jul 27, 2015 at 6:10 AM

They’ve effectively brought in 5 players, and strengthened in key areas. It’s a handy squad, and if the goal is top eight and to win a cup, it might well be good enough if well managed, as you’d expect it would be. I think the club is now in a position where it wants to sell to buy, which can be difficult to do. It’s no good selling Cisse late in the window for example, if you’re struggling to get a deal for Austin over the line. As is, it’s a better side and squad and coaching set up than went into last season with some optimism. If we don’t sign anyone else, and don’t come a cropper injury wise, I still expect us to play good, open, competitive football.

• 62 lochinvar // Jul 27, 2015 at 6:11 AM

i agree.. we need 2 more players..
    – tall, strong CB – rudiger/nastasic etc
    – and a striker/winger – berahino

Spot on – can you have a word with Steve

• 63 dannitoon // Jul 27, 2015 at 6:23 AM

Wat about the comment.. “we are after a few players who haven’t been mentioned. .. surprise players”…

I’m confident we will sign 2 – 3 more come end of august

• 64 Jail for Ashley // Jul 27, 2015 at 6:27 AM

Don’t take this as a negative only as a different opinion to yours. It is widely recognised that we have one of the worst defences in the division and we still haven’t signed Mbemba. Not one of the four players we have signed so far have any PL experience whatsoever. We all knew the squad was about four players short at least in January and since then five players WITH PL experience have left. We are still in danger of losing more as well. Scteve has said he’s happy with the squad, he can’t use the excuse of being short if things go wrong.

• 65 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 27, 2015 at 6:37 AM

JFA @63 is quite right. If this is the squad we are going to take into the coming into the season (and it certainly sounds like it is) it will have McClaren’s credibility in tatters. Ashley out. Ashley’s spineless puppets out.

• 66 Phoenix // Jul 27, 2015 at 6:38 AM

@bobbybee at last someone who can see the bigger picture

• 67 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 27, 2015 at 6:43 AM

It doesn’t sound like we are done in the market to me. It sounds like we are in negotiations with clubs, but aren’t in agreement yet. If we were definitely done, why would he leave it ambiguous.

Steve said he wanted 4 or 5 in, which most fans agree is probably the minimum requirement this summer. At the minute we are on 2, with one pending, but clearly in the balance as the permit has gone to appeal. It isn’t enough to call this a good window though, even with Mbemba.

The squad in my view at the start of last season was good enough for 10th to 12th. Given Cisse missing 7 games through suspension, and the injuries suffered, plus Carver and Pardew in charge, I’d say that was probably about right, but other circumstances contrived to see us finish 15th.

Currently – if the Mbemba deal goes through, I think we have enough to be 8th-10th. An improvement on last term, but only sufficient to achieve our targets of the last 2 seasons – top 10 finish.

The defence, even without a huge change in personnel should improve from not defending the edge of the box, from retaining possession, from pressing higher up the pitch. Add Mbemba’s pace to the back line alongside the improved tactics, shape and style then the defence should prove better then we have seen previously. Mbemba’s pace will be crucial to this though.

We have a tough start, and it is crucial that McClaren gets Mitro (and Mbemba) bedded in asap. If not then we could be playing catch up pretty early on in the season.

• 68 jimmysmith // Jul 27, 2015 at 6:51 AM

Jail, They’ve added two cb’s in Lascelles and Mbemba. That gives us 5 not including Dummett. We’ve conceded bucket loads in the past few seasons, but there are mitigating factors, we’ve lacked genuine outlets in attack and wide, and at times been overrun in midfield, we also effectively had no management the 2nd half of last season, and had nothing to player for the past two, and seemingly all those areas have been addressed and we have a better tactician at the helm and better players at his disposal, barring injury ofcourse. I suspect we’ll get the upgrades on Willo and Collo when their contracts run down. I do think we lack depth and experience at fullback though, having said that Haidarra is looking more of a genuine EPL player and of course still improving.

• 69 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 27, 2015 at 6:58 AM

Mapou had pace. Didn’t do us much good. Mbemba and Colo together are too short at CB. Size does matter. You don’t always have the chance to use a “good spring”. If you are giving away four or five (or more) inches to these power forwards in the centre of your defence you will, at some point in every match, get punished.

• 70 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 27, 2015 at 7:03 AM

But Mapou wasn’t playing in the same system and style as McClaren is aiming to so it isn’t a reasonable comparison. The whole point of the higher line, higher pressing and retaining possession is to limit the chances that the opposition get in your box. Pardew had us defending very deep, and more often than not surrendering possession. That doesn’t suit a defender like Colo, or like Mbiwa. Probably wouldn’t suit Mbemba either.

I’m not saying it is ideal, I’d much prefer another centre half who can lead the back line brought in, but the defence will improve through the style of play and tactics alone.

• 71 Ron Knee // Jul 27, 2015 at 7:03 AM

As usual, NUFC contrived to shoot itself in the foot with that ill-conceived trip to the USA. Add to that the slothlike speed with which transfer business is being conducted.
    It’s painfully obvious that our defence is not up to scratch and needs a complete overhaul. So far we only have Mbemba (we hope!) but it’s obviously not enough.
    As things stand now, I can’t share your (cautious) optimism.

• 72 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 27, 2015 at 7:12 AM

McClaren isn’t suddenly going to give Collocini and Williamson another two yards of pace. He’s not going to suddenly turn Taylor and Obertan into intelligent footballers. He’s not going to imbue Colback, Gouffran, and Riviere with the technical ability they lack at this level. He can’t turn the clock back and make Cisse and Tiote the players they were. He’s not going to make Anita taller. Spin and sophimism continues unbridled at St.James. It’s not as bad as you think though. It’s worse.

• 73 jimmysmith // Jul 27, 2015 at 7:13 AM

Transfers don’t get over the line for a host of reasons. McClaren is right to claim he’s happy enough with the squad, and doesn’t know if there’ll be addition to a squad that he might have to take into the season. Seems to me the five new players to the squad are all upgrades, and that they are still working hard on transfers.

• 74 Mag52 // Jul 27, 2015 at 7:18 AM

‘Steve’s words are not his own…..’ 100% agree with you there Derek.
    Unfortunately he’s now put it on record that he’s happy with the squad and any future defensive disasters will be down to him rather than to the puppeteer.

• 75 mindshaft // Jul 27, 2015 at 7:21 AM

Unlikely we were ever going to fix the years of neglect in one transfer window – I’d prefer at least 1 more CB but if the right player isn’t available then we should wait
    Highly unlikely anyone will take Austen at 15million when he’ll be next to nothing in Jan and actually nothing next season
    If McClaren is a better coach and has a better coaching staff than Pards / Carver / Stone then they should be able to get 10% more out of the current players , that and the new additions will hopefully propel us to top ten
    Those demanding top six this season are off their rockers
    Let’s get to Jan and see where we are – tough start to the season but after 8 – 10 games we should have more of an idea how the season will pan out
    I’m hoping top ten and full strength teams for the cups

• 76 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 27, 2015 at 7:23 AM

Ron Knee,
    I agree about the tours, unless we are really boosting our profile against big opposition I don’t see what benefits there are to a tour to the US. Yes, the club look at it as brand building and oping to increase commercial income, but the level of opposition we were playing isn’t going to do that significantly. Plus it was hugely detrimental to the build up to the football season for the squad.

We finished 15th last season, had a squad decimated by injuries, our only goalscorer missed half 10 games through suspension alone, and had injury problems. Not to mention we still had the dismal tactics of Pardew even after he had left.

I don’t think we are going to see a wonderful season, and feel we need another couple of players, but we have more than enough for mid table if we keep players fit.

• 77 Ron Knee // Jul 27, 2015 at 7:25 AM

Big “if”, Lilongwe!

• 78 will die for the toon army // Jul 27, 2015 at 7:33 AM

I listened to Mcclaren carefully I think Ciise Tiote and Colo are staying. To create a core for the old players.

I think we have one more firat time signing in a winger. Shaqiri , Thauvin or Bolseo. If he is considering Perez as a winger then we will b in for Austin or Rolan.

I think he rates Aarons and PereZ but not as starters.

Colocinni is going to stay for sure he will b rotated with Taylor Durmett and Lascales. There is an excuse for the game Sheffield that Colo and Mbemba didnt play.

• 79 jimmysmith // Jul 27, 2015 at 7:36 AM

I believe this squad will be improved over the next three windows as the deals for targeted players get done, and that we will realistically pursue the cups and a top eight finish. The acquisitions of Janmaat, De Jong, Cabella last, and Mitrovic, Wijnaldum, and Mbemba this, as well as the demands of the crowd, dismal run ins in recent seasons, hiring of McClaren and upgrades in coaching staff, and the statement by the owner, all point to this. If it doesn’t entirely happen this window, hand wringing would be premature, but we do obviously need to see an improvement in all areas.

• 80 will die for the toon army // Jul 27, 2015 at 7:37 AM

If we r to succeed we need the old Tiote and we will have the wall we had wen we made 5th. Call back has heart but not good as the old Tiote.

• 81 beermonkey // Jul 27, 2015 at 7:39 AM

McLaren doesn’t know if he will gat anymore players
    given the fact he doesn’t want crap it could be that the other targets are not interested
    the clubs reputation is in tatters short fix as we did with mitrovic is to throw cash at it, but given the quality we seem to be shopping for that’s not always enough
    or the club have reverted type
    time will tell

most will agree that over the past few years we have not attacked or defended like a team so overall with the new coaching I expect us to score more and concede less due to coaching improvements
    some1 posted on here that mbemba has a good jump on him I hope that’s true
    john terry never blessed with pace is 34 and was one of the best defenders last term Chelsea set up to his strengths and give him a pacey partner

• 82 EllaGuru // Jul 27, 2015 at 7:41 AM

This is the situation with the current squad as I see it.

GK: I feel we are pretty well covered. I don’t rate Elliot, however he is a back-up, and I can’t imagine us getting any better quality in as such. Of course with Darlow coming in, I suppose he will now be considered next in line.

RB: Were Janmaat to be suspended/injured, I believe that Schteve has Anita lined up as cover. Not an ideal solution, and we definitely need an out and out RB cover, however its not the worst of our problems

CB: We need an overhaul here. However, despite all the talk of a second CB coming in, I dont see us adding any more than Mbemba (who I am really excited about). Assuming (hoping) we ship out Willo, that leaves us with 4 recognized CB, one of which is young and untested (Lascelles), the other is a sick note (Saylor), while Colo is well past his prime, and clearly does not want to be here any more. This makes me nervous…

LB: I like Haidara. I think he has great potential as a Wing Back. He loves to get forward, and is more than willing to get at his man. Defensively he is found to be wanting from time to time, however I think this can come with experience and some decent coaching. Dummett can do a job as cover (also at CB as we saw last season)

CM: We have more than enough here. I hope we see at least one of them shipped out (preferably Tiote, who has contributed nothing over the last 18 months). It will be interesting to see who gets the nod here. Colback/Anita, Colback/Gini, Anita/Gini? Or Abeid? I would go with Anita/Gini, rotating with Colback…

CAM: I am excited at the prospect of SDJ. He is a really intelligent footballer, and one who can really open up a defense. Of course, we also have Gini here, but I really see him being used in more of a box-to-box role…

Wide Men: If Aarons can stay fit, we could be in for a succesful season. He has great delivery, scores goals and can create chaos with his dribbling ability! What about Ayoze as our other wide man? I think he could do a job, he can both pick a cross and cut inside. On the other hand, we have so much deadwood here. Martian (Obertan), Marveaux and Goofy are not up to standard.

Forwards: I think we are pretty well covered here now, and cant see us getting anyone else in. Mitrovic is going to be the main man, Cisse rotated in, with Rivi as back-up.

All in all, I think we urgently need a CB to add to Mbemba. If we can do that I would be delighted with this summer transfer window.

• 83 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 27, 2015 at 7:45 AM

Do we really have the luxury of improving this squad by degrees, at our leisure, window by window? I think not. With the money at stake in the EPL now, it’s very much going to be the quick or the dead. “Alas poor Necastle, I knew it well…..”

• 84 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 27, 2015 at 7:47 AM

*Necastle is “Newcastle” said with my Glesga accent…

• 85 Ron Knee // Jul 27, 2015 at 7:49 AM

I share your feeling of gloom.

• 86 expatmag // Jul 27, 2015 at 7:50 AM

On the transfer front, the simple fact of the matter is that we will not bring in any more so called purples until we get rid of some of the deadwood.

There doesnt seem to be a great deal of interest currently in them.

After Mbembe signs, I only expect that young lad from Northampton to sign.

• 87 martoon // Jul 27, 2015 at 7:51 AM

I don’t like to say ‘I told you so’ but I did comment, a few days ago, that I thought Mbemba would be the last big transfer this window – even BandB agreed with me 🙂 The rumoured transfer budget was somewhere between £30m & £40m and we’ve spent about £35m. There will probably be some minor in’s and out’s but I can’t see a another big one unless we sell first – such as Cisse or Sissoko!

• 88 GeordieGadie // Jul 27, 2015 at 7:57 AM

Will there be another Burnley in the PL to surrender from day one?
    Even darned Liecester woke up and smelt the coffee and were going to drown us last season.

It’s alright to complain of hardship, players don’t ship out as fast as you wish, but if you have forced Colo to stay against his wishes and can’t afford a decent salary for Aarons then they will always be sat on the bench claiming being injured. Even Willo got himself redcarded last season to see the back of Carver!
    Trouble is, other teams are getting similar sky money as you, and they invest, so no point saying, we’re well covered lads, just another this or that, they’ll catch up and will have no mercy on you.

• 89 cole the goal // Jul 27, 2015 at 7:58 AM

We need more players in, sissoko not doing it for me on the wing, defence obviously still an issue. 3 big signings but 2 have been playing in a Micky mouse league and only young. The other Gini looks a good player but I don’t think that has massively improved us as we have de Jong who plays that number 10 role

• 90 mickalfas // Jul 27, 2015 at 7:59 AM

If some of the rumours are true and Sissoko, Tiote and Cisse are leaving ,have we actually improved at all?
    And the net spend will be minimal
    Sissoko £18m ?
    Tiote £6m ?
    Cisse £8m ?
    Total £32m
    Absolute joke of a club!!

• 91 expatmag // Jul 27, 2015 at 8:02 AM

If you believed every rumour about us, you would end up in the looney bin.

With regard to your list, I would be happy to sell all 3 as long as they were replaced with better quality.

• 92 Slank // Jul 27, 2015 at 8:03 AM

EllaGuru @ 81

That is a very realistic assessment.

CM: It looks like it may be Abeid who is sold possibly because he is young but more importantly he has already proved whilst on loan what he is capable of.

Wide Men: Looks like Obertan, Marveaux and Goofy will also be gone. I too think Perez can operate very effectively as a winger. He has shown that he has the skills to beat his man and has a nose for a goal. He is also not shy at getting stuck in to defend.

• 93 lesh // Jul 27, 2015 at 8:04 AM

Hey ho, another day of nail-biting anticipation. Who’re we going to sign today, we wonder.

However, given the rate at which Charnley seems to work, I think I’ll go for a manicure today and that should leave my nails looking good for the next couple of weeks!

• 94 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 27, 2015 at 8:06 AM

Yeah, I said the other day that it was looking increasingly like we needed to offload before we buy now. If we have all our ducks lined up ready to be announced, then that is okay, but we can’t have another situation like last season when we failed to get in the replacement for Mbiwa. If Sissoko or Cisse goes, less so Tiote, then we need replacements lined up and ready to sign before we sell.

Given the fact we are going to appeal with Mbemba, I would like to think the club have a centre half lined up and ready to move on in the event that Mbemba does not get a permit. If not, and we need one then it is poor planning by the club.

• 95 mickalfas // Jul 27, 2015 at 8:09 AM

Couldn’t agree more ,Tiote especially has done nothing for a long time
    But will they be replaced ?
    But he has to invest more in the squad ,or its going to be ,let’s hope noone gets injured seasons
    I’m hoping that SM has not been Ashleyed !

• 96 geordielad880 // Jul 27, 2015 at 8:10 AM

Anyone have any idea why tiote was not involved against sheff utd yesterday?

• 97 lochinvar // Jul 27, 2015 at 8:12 AM

McLaren is ” not sure”
    The last thing we need is uncertainty.
    Sending out weak messages does nothing for anyone’s understanding or confidence.
    The club, players and fans need clear decisions.
    Come on Steve please be clear – or at least ask whoever writes your scripts to be clear.

• 98 sing in the corner // Jul 27, 2015 at 8:16 AM

I can understand some bloggers are getting nervous and are catharting on here. But generally speaking those who were saying before the transfer window opened that we would definitely sign nobody of any significance or value will now naturally be of the opinion that we are relegation fodder now…before the window is done…before a ball has been kicked competitively,, based on interpretation of vague interviews and some iffy pre season streams.
    It is frustrating not knowing what will happen next but all we can do is wait for the evidence. Anyone who thinks we can solve all the problems of the horrendous season / slide of recent years in a couple of months is mistaken. It will take time, though we might not like that. This season is going to be one of rebuilding then consolodation.
    By the way, well said BobbyB…on the end of the last thread, A good and realistic summary

• 99 toonincheek // Jul 27, 2015 at 8:16 AM

Lilongwe @93
    “Given the fact we are going to appeal with Mbemba”

This is the second time you have said this.
    From what I have read, my understanding is that FA/FIFA endorsement is required for the application for permit and they cannot meet until Thursday.

Do you know something more?

An “appeal” means that an application has been turned down and the rejection is being appealed.

• 100 geordielad880 // Jul 27, 2015 at 8:18 AM

anyone know why tiote didnt play at all yesterday?

• 101 LGFUAD21 // Jul 27, 2015 at 8:19 AM

I went to the game yesterday and here’s my take.

The team looked particularly sluggish in the second half.

Do t think it was a fair representation either as the subs made the team very unbalanced.

Willo was his typical useless self.
    Gini and Anita looked very decent. Comfortable on the ball.

We were decent at keeping possession and were knocking it around in tight spaces better than before but we couldn’t penetrate them or defend for toffee.

Poor janmaat was having to do his and Willos job.

Haidara looked good on the ball.

Something was a bit out of step with the forward line. Weren’t making the right runs. And the final balls being played were poor.

First half we were building up patiently and advancing forward as a team but getting stuck in the final third.

Second half we sat back way too much and no one was moving.

De Jong came on and organised the team a lot more and we had a few attacks at the end. He should be captain IMO. He was talking to all the players got his wingers into the correct position. Was telling arma where to run.

We conceded a lot of chances to sheff u unnecessarily which you’d expect Prem players to put away. Something definitely wasn’t right and I think there is some truth in the jet lag comments.

Monchengladbach will be the real test.

We definitely need another exciting winger like shaquiri.

I’m not too worried about strikers. We need cbs too but my priority would be a winger.

Our midfield can build play and keep possession. Our attackers can score but we don’t have anyone to create the chances.

• 102 LGFUAD21 // Jul 27, 2015 at 8:21 AM

I think steve is covering his back. Doesn’t want to make any guarantees.

At worst we’ll start the season poorly and they’ll bring another in late August.

• 103 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 27, 2015 at 8:21 AM

The only reason a panel needs to convene is because he has to go to appeal as he doesn’t fit the criteria required to secure a work permit. If he did meet it, then there would be no panel.

• 104 mindshaft // Jul 27, 2015 at 8:21 AM

The hearing is not an appeal , it’s an application for a work permit / visa
    Lazy ar5e F.A need a week to arrange a meeting

• 105 Slank // Jul 27, 2015 at 8:22 AM

lochinvar @ 96

If he had said ‘Yes, more to come’ and none did he would almost certainly be branded as a liar by many fans.

If he had said ‘No, none to come’ he would almost certainly have been criticized for negativity and defeatism.

He is probably being honest and only reflecting a situation which is fluid.

• 106 lesh // Jul 27, 2015 at 8:27 AM

Lil, toonincheek, mindset

There’s clarification of the Mbemba visa/ permit situation embedded in this Chron article.

Does McClaren really want to keep Colo or is he jacking up his fee? The latter I think – provided we get another CB in.

• 107 lesh // Jul 27, 2015 at 8:29 AM

It’d have been a help if I’d posted the Chron article!

Silly Billy me!

• 108 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 27, 2015 at 8:32 AM

Maybe shooting for top 6 is stretching it a bit, but the official target is a top 8 finish! So 7 or 8 it is!

Is that realistically – I know anything can happen, but are we in a position to really say or team is good enough for that.

McC says it is and I think he should be judge on that…I know this club makes hollow targets – they usual mean nothing and usually there are no consequences.

We will hear that mistakes have been made but we’ll get a FF meeting too little too late taking about the future!

What future? I am still to be convinced anything has really changed for the better!

• 109 Tsunki // Jul 27, 2015 at 8:34 AM

Well it doesn’t look like we’ll be in the tree removal business just yet. Friendlies aren’t really the barometer of a teams health, except when we get to the last one or two before the PL kick off, because all the first team contenders should be showing up by then. I’m not totally dejected as SM hasn’t exactly had all the time in the world and has had a disastrous idea of a summer tour to contend with plus slow transfer deals hampering his selections. BUT we are running out of time to face Southampton with a decent shape and a functioning back four. Bring totally realistic, if it’s Willo, Colo, Janmaat and Dummet/Haidara on it’s day it’s a perfectly functional and serviceable back four. On it’s bad days though, and they can be many, it can fall apart especially when the defensive mid goes missing as it did end of last season. I’m hoping SM can do what previous incumbents couldn’t, instill fitness and awareness at the back, and a dogged concentration to shut out and close down when we aren’t scoring. If we do that we have a basis, it may be grim until January, but it will keep us in the safe zone.

I am still puzzled though, given the evident weaknesses in defensive mid and central defence, why transfer priorities were made elsewhere in the team. If this is because wage and contract structure still outweigh the footballing need, then they still haven’t learned their lesson. This looks like short term financial fire fighting at the potential expense of league safety.

• 110 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 27, 2015 at 8:37 AM

Sing@98 – I don’t like the sound of “catharting” – I know what you mean but it sounds like something rather unsavoury. I agree with LGFUAD21 about de Jong. I’d make him captain. Looked to be taking some responsibility on in at least one if the games in the U.S., where he went to Titus Bramble after he conceded the penalty, obviously to keep his spirits up, and then later had a quiet word to Colback as he stood over the ball. Probably saying “you know, you are allowed to kick it forwards…”
    Seriously, he would be my choice for captain though.

• 111 Jib // Jul 27, 2015 at 8:39 AM

Mbembas case is NOT an appeal

The rules changed about 2 years ago now the relevant governing body must endorse any work permit application by a club before it is submitted to the UK Government, cutting down on the number of requests made directly to Government which are unlikely to succeed first time.
    It is just unfortunate we are in holiday time for a lot of folk.

• 112 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 27, 2015 at 8:49 AM

@110 Sorry, I meant Jamaal Lascelles, not Titus Bramble. A Freudian slip…

• 113 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 27, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Lilo back @70.
    Looking at your post again I’d say this. To play the higher defensive line, pressing type game you need a midfield with good technical skill to make it work. The ability to quickly control and hold the ball, and then be able to pick the right pass. If that high line breaks down in midfield, with our defence, it’s going to be a slaughter every time. It’s all very well McClaren having a vision of how he’d like to play, but you need the requisite personnel to actually make it happen. And therein, as I see it, lies the problem. Apart from maybe Anita (who may not even get a regular start), and Wijnaldum (who might need to find his feet) our midfielders are technically not very good. Not including de Jong, Perez, Aarons etc. who will presumably operate further forward.

previous post: McClaren Casts Doubt On Player Leaving Newcastle