McClaren Not Sure If More Players Will Be Signed

Steve McClaren was interviewed by Sky Sports News after the 2-2 draw today at Sheffield United,  and he was asked if there were more players coming through the door this summer, and the head coach surprisingly didn’t seem too sure there would be any more players brought in.

steve mcclaren closeup at sheffiled united

Steve McClaren at Bramall Lane today

We assume that’s after we get Chancel Mbemba through the door later this week.

Steve said he was pleased with the squad he has at the moment.

This is some of what he had to say:

¨Gini getting a couple of goals in the two games that he’s played, showing his quality and that’s what we’ve got in Mitrovic and Mbemba.”

“That’s what the club promised at the end of last season and the club have delivered on three very good players,”

“I don’t know if there will be more to come. As I said before, we’ve got to be patient, they’ve got to be the right players.”

“I’m happy with the players that we’ve got here, I’m happy with the additions.”

About a week ago Steve talked about players we were looking to sign, that were still under the radar screen, at least as far as the press were concerned.

But of course we still have to get them into the club – but we’d be very surprised if more players aren’t brought in before September.

However, if the right players are not available this summer we don’t want to bring players in just for the sake of it – that never works.

It’s almost like that’s what we did when we brought in Argentine striker Facundo Ferreyra last summer, and that one certainly didn’t work.

If we cannot get our top targets in permanently, then maybe we could look at some season-long loan deals – for good players?

• swemag

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:15 PM

No highlights from the game available?

I cannot see the one from sky sports due to my location. 🙁

• firebug666

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:16 PM

swemag

If you can, install a program called HOLA, it will change you location to the country you want to play the vids.

• Tsunki

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:21 PM

Ashley Out!

• welshgeordie9

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:22 PM

And if those 3 new players get injured with Aarons and De Jong then we will be back to square one.

We have already got marveaux and Cabella out injured on the wings, riviere up front, we have got three crap centre backs, how the hell can he be pleased oh yeah and i nearly forgot gouffran and obertan are still bloody here.

• Tsunki

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:23 PM

Uh oh, we’re in trouble,
    Mikey’s come up trumps again
    And burst our bubble….

Early days for the pessimism bus but book early to avoid disappointment.

• geordie157

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:24 PM

After Mbemba the bare minimum should be another centre back and a winger.
    If we offload a few,then I’dadd another striker and a back up right back to that.

• Belfast

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:25 PM

Down with this sort of thing!

• jane

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:26 PM

“I don’t know if there will be more to come.”

this could be..

I don’t know because I’m not in the loop.

or

I don’t know because they may not come to fruition.

or

I don’t know because we’re not going after anyone else.

• worthing magpiee

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:26 PM

Thanks firebugg666
    I agree, im over the moon with mbemba signing, just think another commanding cb beside him would be ideal, willo, well is willo, saylor will be on the physio table,collo im happy with him to see out his last year, and las is still young and learning, surley we’ve got another 15 mil lying around!

• Belfast

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:27 PM

Worthing don’t listen to him. Stick with me and you’ll be in the posh seats within one week.

• Tsunki

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:28 PM

Well I missed all the hilarity. Not like me that. Although I’d be quite pleased if I had at least had a hand in starting it. 😉

• bladeuser

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:29 PM

Every last man and his dog knows we need a top class cb but not this shitty club saylor is lets b honest no good willo i dont even want to write his name and colo no pace gets out jumped 8 out of 10 times if no cb is signed and colo stays and gets injured we could have and its possible a partnership of willo and saylor for some games this is why this club is a pathetic joke and these two could get sm in a lot of bother if we have no points on the board after the opening games
    ASHLEY OUT

• Tsunki

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:31 PM

Aye stick with Belfast he’ll get you in with all the multiple posters you’d ever want to meet. Rub shoulders with the blog stars.

• Belfast

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:33 PM

The 3 players aren’t enough like. I don’t mind the optimisim but a couple of injuries and you’ll end up with the same defence as last season.

• Graeme

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:33 PM

If we staart in 2 weeks time with only Mbemba as an improvement to our defence, then it is simply not going to change a thing. By all accounts the guy is very good, but a miracle worker he isnt.
    We desperately need a 2nd CB brought in to Collo & Saylor can be shipped out.
    Collo doesn’t want to be here, Saylor is only good for 12 games a year, if we are lucky.
    McC has 2 weeks and 2 practice matches to create a cohesive, functioning defence, which, given the players he has available today, is simply not going to happen, simply based on the goals we conceded last season with the same culpits (Plus One new).
    Quite frankly, its not good enough.

• Tsunki

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:34 PM

One guy with armchair in his name ( oh how I laughed and laughed) suggested I had ran out of crack. Or was it craic? Ahhhhh what’s the difference? 🙂

• worthing magpiee

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:36 PM

Lol tsunki, just saw your comment! Sounds like il fit in just fine, Belfast ive always wanted to be the blog whore haha

• Belfast

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:36 PM

I hope he’s just playing it down though.

• Tsunki

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:37 PM

Well I told you so. I love saying that. I told you so ha it never gets old! Yes, SM has the look of realisation. If we start with the usual back door boys I think SM might cut a sad and pathetic figure by november

• banjax

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:38 PM

McClaren obviously keeps the truth close by. If you look at what he actually said using the word patience, meaning the quality of players we are after means we ‘..have to be patient..’ So he doesn’t know if we’ll get them in this window and that is about right when we have seen how long things have taken till now.
    McClaren also talked of ‘off the radar’ signings as well, so let’s none of us jump to any conclusions just yet.

• bettyswallocks

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:40 PM

Belfast…….. That’s enough sarcastic frivolity now. This blog is for serious football discussion only.

• swemag

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:41 PM

So what is a realistic CB for us that would be a big improvement?

Should we think that the Tunisian guy is out of our price range?

Shawcross from Stoke, do we really think that Stoke would sell their tod defender to a direct competitor for a reasonable fee? Would even want to change?

The 23 year old Schalke man or the dutch guy in Celtic, to me they are unproven at this level and they don’t make me jump of excitement.

So who exactly is it that we are looking at to improve our defense?

• Tsunki

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:41 PM

This is no time to PANIC! Keep calm everybody. Keep CALM!!!

• Tsunki

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:42 PM

Betty you are wasting precious time and energy there…

• Belfast

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:43 PM

He sounds like a bloke who’s just been told no more incomings unless there’s outgoings. 🙂

He’s now desperately trying to move folk on with no joy.

Yep I’m going with that.

• swemag

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:44 PM

Ron Vlaar is still on free I think. No?

• Belfast

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:46 PM

Oh crap I apologise for my non football releated posts.

Without making any excuses it wasn’t my fault.

• Tsunki

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:46 PM

Swemag ah but have you considered whatsisname. From thingamabob? Or the Sino-Croatian who plies his trade at wheresyerface he would be a bargain. Don’t even get me started on that whodyacallhim…..

• Tsunki

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:47 PM

Non football related? Embrace the darkness….

• Bobbybee

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:48 PM

Jane, or it could just mean that only if they’re the right ones. Surely nobody thought this mess could be fixed after one window, following eight years of neglect? If he’d said a definite no, I would be concerned, but the negotiations are out of his hands. Better than making false promises. It’s going to take time to fix so many wrongs. None of it is his fault, but he’s trying to put it right. Mid table until January would be an improvement and give him chance to replace who needs replacing. I’m naturally an optimistic person, but even I’m not expecting us to be challenging for anything this season. Steady improvement followed by further investment is about the best we can hope for this season.

• swemag

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:50 PM

Sorry Tsunki, just cannot remember the names of all the CBs we have been linked with…anyway, you know which ones I mean.
    Those guys that at some stage or another have been touted as the final solution to all our defense problems over the past month.

• ToonFromLeeds

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:51 PM

we need a CB and a right winger at the least

• Belfast

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:53 PM

Take the positives…

You would probably have to pay for the Pushy gate debacle anywhere else.

It’s all free here.

• bettyswallocks

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:57 PM

There will be a lot of comings and goings towards the end of the window me thinks.

Still too much posturing going on at the moment.

• Tsunki

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:01 AM

🙂

• bettyswallocks

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:01 AM

Jail has taken offence and gone into hiding. If only Ian/ pushy would own up and apologise then everyone could get back to serious football discussion.

• Novocastrian66

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:06 AM

Swemag. Vlar is out for four months with a knee injury.

• JackButler

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:13 AM

Oh no that’s the wind taken out of our sails. Just when we all thought we had turned a corner and that the fat man had finally woken up we could be about to embark on another below average season thanks to very a shakey defence

• nightfa11

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:17 AM

i agree.. we need 2 more players..

– tall, strong CB – rudiger/nastasic etc
    – and a striker/winger – berahino

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley