Newcastle Fail In Move For Experienced England International

The Mirror are reporting today that Newcastle made an enquiry about Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick, but the approach was turned down by manager Louis van Gaal.

Michael was on Newcastle’s books as a youngster in the Kevin Keegan days,  before he signed on at West Ham, and this is not the first time in his career that we have tried to get the Wallsend-born player to Newcastle.

Michael Carrick -vice-captain

Michael Carrick in action last season

But the former Wallsend Boys club and England Boys club star who was a striker in those days, is now 33, so it seems a strange move for Newcastle, who hardly ever sign players over 27 years of age – never mind 30.

The news is that Louis van Gaal quickly blocked Carrick leaving the club, and Micheal played very well last season for Louis and seemed a calming influence in the team.

The Dutchman probably sees him as an experienced player who can help bring the younger players, and of course he has vast experience and is still a good player.

Maybe that’s exactly why Steve McClaren wanted him at Newcastle – he’s a Geordie who could help bring the youngsters through and also be a good example and role model to them.

Michael’s  also played over 420 games in the Premier League in his career.

With central midfielders Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin having been signed by the Red Devils this summer, maybe Carrick will find it hard to get games this season?

We suppose if that happens Newcastle could always go back in for him in January, if Steve McClaren still wants him.

• Tsunki

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:30 AM

Ashley Out!

• Tsunki

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:31 AM

I don’t get this Carrick rumour. SM would have to start shifting players he just bought back out wouldn’t he?

• cestriasteve

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:34 AM

I worked in Manchester and have attended numerous charity dos and met him a few times, from the horses mouth he detests the way Newcastle are run and would never come to Newcastle, he’s Manchester United till he retires.

Plus do we need him. Still a class act though IMO.

• WWSBRD

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:34 AM

Yup this makes sense…total sense…100% believe this NOT A DOUBT IN MY HEAD

• Belfast

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:35 AM

Absolute nonsense he’s probably on a 100 grand plus a week and he’s 34.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:35 AM

Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:33 AM

Tsunki,
    West Ham had a similarly awful run of form to us at one stage. They weren’t exactly a top team. Downing and Sakho dragged them through to where they were. He was their second top scorer and their leading assists.

Are their players that much better? They can’t be otherwise why would we be turning our noses up at one of their top players last season?

• the broons

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:37 AM

just goes to show the papers have to make something up for the headlines

• Laurent Robert 32

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Cheers for sharing that, Steve.

• why oh why

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:38 AM

Rumour is Ivan toney will be signed in the next 48hrs from Northampton.
    This lad can play

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:39 AM

Carrick and Schweinsteiger will rotate in that deeper role. Neither can manage full seasons anymore. Schneirderlin will be in more direct competition with players like Herrera, and possibly Feillani for his midfield slot.

• Malta Mag

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:50 AM

With Sissoko, Tiote, Wijnaldum, Anita, Cabella, De Jong, Colback, Aaron’s and Vuckic as my chosen midfielders, as well as the possibility of Bigirimana,and Marveaux being resurrected by McClaren why would they want Carrick other than for sentimental reasons?
    I think we will play 4-2-3-1 this season but I believe our best formation with the players at hand would be the old Real Madrid formation of 3-5-2? Daring but exciting to see if played correctly.

• tooneytunes

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:50 AM

I can confirm that after years of playing in the same wallsend boys club teams and living close to Vince (his dad) Michael will never sign for Newcastle in a trillion years

• OneAlanShearer

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:51 AM

So. If we slot in the new boys we have this current best xi in my humble opinion

Krul
    Mitrovic

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Tsunki…Belfast sure is ‘special’ 😉

• awb83

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:58 AM

It would be at utter waste of time signing Carrick, he’s almost 34 for crying out loud.

• sparky55

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:59 AM

just watched a Youtube video on Toney as I don’t know a lot about him and the boy is great in the air and has a leap on him like a pedigree salmon.

Big step up from the level he’s playing at now but Charlie Austin, Danny Ings and the lad at liverpool all did it the hard way so why not Toney

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:00 AM

Wouldn’t Carrick agewise fit nicely with Mbembe 😉

• bob

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:01 AM

Ivan Toney is signing for Newcastle United.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:02 AM

OneAlanShearer,
    Is that in a 4231? So Gini out wide?

Don’t really care which centre half partners Mbemba at the minute, but Colo or Saylor are probably slightly ahead of Willo.

Colback is neck a ned with Anita for me, both just ahead of Tiote. But I would have Gini as the partner in there, rather than Sissoko.

Perez, De Jong and Aarons supporting Mitrovic. With

• hibbit

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:02 AM

GUYS just remember its sunday the newspapers print any old rubbish

• Dukis22lt

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:02 AM

I hope we get to see Mitrovic in action this afternoon. Game is listed to be streamed.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:04 AM

A lad like Ivan Toney should be shipped out to a Championship or league 1 team that suits him to develop him!

It will be no good for him to stay with our U21 or warm our bench!

Ivan! That’s not a name you hear alot in the UK is it?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Sparky,
    Toney isn’t doing it the hard way! He is doing it the easy way! The hard way would be to join a championship team, get promoted and then move to a bigger club.

Ings, Austin and Lambert all played there way up through the divisions, not had a breakthrough season and then jumped ship for a Prem club. I’d loan him straight back to Northampton if the deal doe go through, so he can continue his development in a comfortable surrounding.

• hibbit

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:05 AM

my mate tells me Mc likes to play 3-4-3 is this true ?

• lochinvar

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:05 AM

It’s a quiet Sunday and we have to read drivel about Carrick.
    He’s history at a time McLaren is trying to build the future. No deal.
    Austin is getting on as well and is trying to get a pay day bonus and get out of QPR at the same time. Initially I thought we should get him but not now and if he ends up at Villa that might be his biggest mistake. Bournemouth will suit him and Mrs. Austin’s lifestyle much more. They can pop over to see Uncle Harry for tea and a sticky bun.

• Jib

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:07 AM

This is usually reliable.
    However show some patience and ffs don’t download any apps.
    Tsunki you feel free to download anything 🙂 you feel like

• magscar

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:07 AM

Mister Tuff

New thread again!
    On the personal stuff you mentioned earlier this morning I can only repeat what I said to JFA on last thread.

Believe it or not I do not read every single post thoroughly and on some occasions don’t even catch up depending on what has been happening in my life ( just like most I suppose) so the instances you mention I honestly do not remember. Given your blog name and reading your sometimes provocative and near the knuckle posts I think that you are perfectly capable of looking after yourself and also have the “old hands” to circle the wagons around you. You don’t need help from me!

You mainly have a few adversaries which you fence with most days if they are on and I am not one of them as I largely ignore you ( and you me but I do feel I am being included in your oot lists but you are rarely specific enough)

As for being a hypocrite well if I am to be accused of such then have a look at your own blog persona over the years – defender of ALL wrongs on here as a long term poster? Nah!

Your mate Expat has you as a decent respected bloke and I have no reason to doubt him ( a sensible poster) but some people must change behind a keyboard for you to come across as you do.To be fair I sometimes think it is your attempt at humour but I find it often too adolescent and perhaps I just don’t get it.

All I did last night was to mention my despair at opening of old wounds by 3 regular posters when the blog had been on totally different tangents (Northern Soul not bag really but don’t mind it). I do not have regular clashes (or any as I recall) with Tsunki or JFA (Ashley Out! is doing my head though 🙂 ) though we haven’t usually agreed on much in the past. So didn’t mention anyone by name and as I have only clashed with you it really can’t be construed as “old battles”.

Anyway it is a good morning so far and I have the rest of the posts since yours to catch upon over coffee whilst I look forward to a match (of sorts) this pm. Nice to feel more positive after Carver.

• JDdubai

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:07 AM

The Mirror article starts by saying “according to so-and-so from the sunday people” so its not even a Mirror story.

Move on.

• VanToonMan

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:11 AM

In addition to Mbemba, I know we are all talking about Rudiger or Matip – which would be great – but is it complete fantasy to hope for Benedikt Howedes instead?

Janmaat – Mbemba – Howedes – Haidara

Lol Howedes, Banega and Shakiri and we are in dream land!!!

• thevirus

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Don’t want Carrick to come to the toon Geordie or not , has openly stated that he never wants to play for Newcastle added with the fact that he’s 33 years old and just about finished.

• sparky55

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:14 AM

IMO opinion the line up will be something like this

Krul

Janmaat Mbemba another newbie Hiadara

Aarons Anita Wijy Colback

SDJ

Mitrovic

Subs Perez, Rivi, saylor, Dummett, Lascelles goalie, an others (1 new striker and 1 new midfielder)

Janmaat and Hiadara piling up the wings, anita and Colback covering, wijy piling through the middle, Aarons moving from left to right wing throughout the game to cause panic and confusion and SDJ bringing the intelligence and killer passes to mitrovic

Sissoko sold, Tiote sold, Colo sold, Cisse sold

• thevirus

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:14 AM

Vantoonman . Howedes is a great shout and an excellent player but can’t see him leaving schalke to come to England , Bayern or Dortmund maybe, but there’s no harm in dreaming

• Rotonda heights

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:23 AM

just looking at the link jail posted re – pushy and Ian Toon. Absolute comedy gold. Absolutely banged to rights but still protesting innocence. Ian / pushy would be a pyschiatrist’s dream.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:25 AM

vantoon

could you imagine. That would be ash putting up 2 fingers quite spectacularly!!!

• Rotonda heights

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:26 AM

jd dubai

probably alan oliver who’s never had an original scoop in his life

• Rotonda heights

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:28 AM

thanks Jib

fingers crossed it works, what time’s K.O.?

• Rotonda heights

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:30 AM

3-4-3 basically won brazil 5 world cups so thrilled if sm has morphed in to that

• Rotonda heights

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:31 AM

anyone else here?

• JAMSHA

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:32 AM

how many hrs left for the kick off?

• Ron Knee