The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Fail In Move For Experienced England International

9:29 am, Sunday, July 26th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 82 Comments

The Mirror are reporting today that Newcastle made an enquiry about Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick, but the approach was turned down by manager Louis van Gaal.

Michael was on Newcastle’s books as a youngster in the Kevin Keegan days,  before he signed on at West Ham, and this is not the first time in his career that we have tried to get the Wallsend-born player to Newcastle.

Michael Carrick -vice-captain

Michael Carrick in action last season

But the former Wallsend Boys club and England Boys club star who was a striker in those days, is now 33, so it seems a strange move for Newcastle, who hardly ever sign players over 27 years of age – never mind 30.

The news is that Louis van Gaal quickly blocked Carrick leaving the club, and Micheal played very well last season for Louis and seemed a calming influence in the team.

The Dutchman probably sees him as an experienced player who can help bring the younger players, and of course he has vast experience and is still a good player.

Maybe that’s exactly why Steve McClaren wanted him at Newcastle – he’s a Geordie who could help bring the youngsters through and also be a good example and role model to them.

Michael’s  also played over 420 games in the Premier League in his career.

With central midfielders Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin having been signed by the Red Devils this summer, maybe Carrick will find it hard to get games this season?

We suppose if that happens Newcastle could always go back in for him in January, if Steve McClaren still wants him.

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

82 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:30 AM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:31 AM

I don’t get this Carrick rumour. SM would have to start shifting players he just bought back out wouldn’t he?

• 3 cestriasteve // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:34 AM

I worked in Manchester and have attended numerous charity dos and met him a few times, from the horses mouth he detests the way Newcastle are run and would never come to Newcastle, he’s Manchester United till he retires.

Plus do we need him. Still a class act though IMO.

• 4 WWSBRD // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:34 AM

Yup this makes sense…total sense…100% believe this NOT A DOUBT IN MY HEAD

• 5 Belfast // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:35 AM

Absolute nonsense he’s probably on a 100 grand plus a week and he’s 34.

• 6 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:35 AM

Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:33 AM

Tsunki,
    West Ham had a similarly awful run of form to us at one stage. They weren’t exactly a top team. Downing and Sakho dragged them through to where they were. He was their second top scorer and their leading assists.

Are their players that much better? They can’t be otherwise why would we be turning our noses up at one of their top players last season?

• 7 the broons // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:37 AM

just goes to show the papers have to make something up for the headlines

• 8 Laurent Robert 32 // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Cheers for sharing that, Steve.

• 9 why oh why // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:38 AM

Rumour is Ivan toney will be signed in the next 48hrs from Northampton.
    This lad can play

• 10 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:39 AM

Carrick and Schweinsteiger will rotate in that deeper role. Neither can manage full seasons anymore. Schneirderlin will be in more direct competition with players like Herrera, and possibly Feillani for his midfield slot.

• 11 Malta Mag // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:50 AM

With Sissoko, Tiote, Wijnaldum, Anita, Cabella, De Jong, Colback, Aaron’s and Vuckic as my chosen midfielders, as well as the possibility of Bigirimana,and Marveaux being resurrected by McClaren why would they want Carrick other than for sentimental reasons?
    I think we will play 4-2-3-1 this season but I believe our best formation with the players at hand would be the old Real Madrid formation of 3-5-2? Daring but exciting to see if played correctly.

• 12 tooneytunes // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:50 AM

I can confirm that after years of playing in the same wallsend boys club teams and living close to Vince (his dad) Michael will never sign for Newcastle in a trillion years

• 13 OneAlanShearer // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:51 AM

So. If we slot in the new boys we have this current best xi in my humble opinion

Krul
    Janmaat
    Mbemba
    Saylor
    Haidara
    Colback
    Sissoko
    Wijnaldum
    De Jong
    Aarons
    Mitrovic

• 14 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Tsunki…Belfast sure is ‘special’ 😉

• 15 awb83 // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:58 AM

It would be at utter waste of time signing Carrick, he’s almost 34 for crying out loud.

• 16 sparky55 // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:59 AM

just watched a Youtube video on Toney as I don’t know a lot about him and the boy is great in the air and has a leap on him like a pedigree salmon.

Big step up from the level he’s playing at now but Charlie Austin, Danny Ings and the lad at liverpool all did it the hard way so why not Toney

• 17 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:00 AM

Wouldn’t Carrick agewise fit nicely with Mbembe 😉

• 18 bob // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:01 AM

Ivan Toney is signing for Newcastle United.

• 19 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:02 AM

OneAlanShearer,
    Is that in a 4231? So Gini out wide?

Don’t really care which centre half partners Mbemba at the minute, but Colo or Saylor are probably slightly ahead of Willo.

Colback is neck a ned with Anita for me, both just ahead of Tiote. But I would have Gini as the partner in there, rather than Sissoko.

Perez, De Jong and Aarons supporting Mitrovic. With

• 20 hibbit // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:02 AM

GUYS just remember its sunday the newspapers print any old rubbish

• 21 Dukis22lt // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:02 AM

I hope we get to see Mitrovic in action this afternoon. Game is listed to be streamed.

• 22 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:04 AM

A lad like Ivan Toney should be shipped out to a Championship or league 1 team that suits him to develop him!

It will be no good for him to stay with our U21 or warm our bench!

Ivan! That’s not a name you hear alot in the UK is it?

• 23 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Sparky,
    Toney isn’t doing it the hard way! He is doing it the easy way! The hard way would be to join a championship team, get promoted and then move to a bigger club.

Ings, Austin and Lambert all played there way up through the divisions, not had a breakthrough season and then jumped ship for a Prem club. I’d loan him straight back to Northampton if the deal doe go through, so he can continue his development in a comfortable surrounding.

• 24 hibbit // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:05 AM

my mate tells me Mc likes to play 3-4-3 is this true ?

• 25 lochinvar // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:05 AM

It’s a quiet Sunday and we have to read drivel about Carrick.
    He’s history at a time McLaren is trying to build the future. No deal.
    Austin is getting on as well and is trying to get a pay day bonus and get out of QPR at the same time. Initially I thought we should get him but not now and if he ends up at Villa that might be his biggest mistake. Bournemouth will suit him and Mrs. Austin’s lifestyle much more. They can pop over to see Uncle Harry for tea and a sticky bun.

• 26 Jib // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:07 AM

This is usually reliable.
    However show some patience and ffs don’t download any apps.
    Tsunki you feel free to download anything 🙂 you feel like

• 27 magscar // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:07 AM

Mister Tuff

New thread again!
    On the personal stuff you mentioned earlier this morning I can only repeat what I said to JFA on last thread.

Believe it or not I do not read every single post thoroughly and on some occasions don’t even catch up depending on what has been happening in my life ( just like most I suppose) so the instances you mention I honestly do not remember. Given your blog name and reading your sometimes provocative and near the knuckle posts I think that you are perfectly capable of looking after yourself and also have the “old hands” to circle the wagons around you. You don’t need help from me!

You mainly have a few adversaries which you fence with most days if they are on and I am not one of them as I largely ignore you ( and you me but I do feel I am being included in your oot lists but you are rarely specific enough)

As for being a hypocrite well if I am to be accused of such then have a look at your own blog persona over the years – defender of ALL wrongs on here as a long term poster? Nah!

Your mate Expat has you as a decent respected bloke and I have no reason to doubt him ( a sensible poster) but some people must change behind a keyboard for you to come across as you do.To be fair I sometimes think it is your attempt at humour but I find it often too adolescent and perhaps I just don’t get it.

All I did last night was to mention my despair at opening of old wounds by 3 regular posters when the blog had been on totally different tangents (Northern Soul not bag really but don’t mind it). I do not have regular clashes (or any as I recall) with Tsunki or JFA (Ashley Out! is doing my head though 🙂 ) though we haven’t usually agreed on much in the past. So didn’t mention anyone by name and as I have only clashed with you it really can’t be construed as “old battles”.

Anyway it is a good morning so far and I have the rest of the posts since yours to catch upon over coffee whilst I look forward to a match (of sorts) this pm. Nice to feel more positive after Carver.

• 28 JDdubai // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:07 AM

The Mirror article starts by saying “according to so-and-so from the sunday people” so its not even a Mirror story.

Move on.

• 29 VanToonMan // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:11 AM

In addition to Mbemba, I know we are all talking about Rudiger or Matip – which would be great – but is it complete fantasy to hope for Benedikt Howedes instead?

Janmaat – Mbemba – Howedes – Haidara

Lol Howedes, Banega and Shakiri and we are in dream land!!!

• 30 thevirus // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Don’t want Carrick to come to the toon Geordie or not , has openly stated that he never wants to play for Newcastle added with the fact that he’s 33 years old and just about finished.

• 31 sparky55 // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:14 AM

IMO opinion the line up will be something like this

Krul

Janmaat Mbemba another newbie Hiadara

Aarons Anita Wijy Colback

SDJ

Mitrovic

Subs Perez, Rivi, saylor, Dummett, Lascelles goalie, an others (1 new striker and 1 new midfielder)

Janmaat and Hiadara piling up the wings, anita and Colback covering, wijy piling through the middle, Aarons moving from left to right wing throughout the game to cause panic and confusion and SDJ bringing the intelligence and killer passes to mitrovic

Sissoko sold, Tiote sold, Colo sold, Cisse sold

• 32 thevirus // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:14 AM

Vantoonman . Howedes is a great shout and an excellent player but can’t see him leaving schalke to come to England , Bayern or Dortmund maybe, but there’s no harm in dreaming

• 33 Rotonda heights // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:23 AM

just looking at the link jail posted re – pushy and Ian Toon. Absolute comedy gold. Absolutely banged to rights but still protesting innocence. Ian / pushy would be a pyschiatrist’s dream.

• 34 Rotonda heights // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:25 AM

vantoon

could you imagine. That would be ash putting up 2 fingers quite spectacularly!!!

• 35 Rotonda heights // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:26 AM

jd dubai

probably alan oliver who’s never had an original scoop in his life

• 36 Rotonda heights // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:28 AM

thanks Jib

fingers crossed it works, what time’s K.O.?

• 37 Rotonda heights // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:30 AM

3-4-3 basically won brazil 5 world cups so thrilled if sm has morphed in to that

• 38 Rotonda heights // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:31 AM

anyone else here?

• 39 JAMSHA // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:32 AM

how many hrs left for the kick off?

• 40 Ron Knee // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:32 AM

RH
    1pm kick off!

• 41 beermonkey // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:34 AM

do we play today

• 42 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Roronda,
    I’m here!

Do we know who has gone down to Sheffield for today’s game? Which players are in the squad. Is Mitrovic there? We only have this, York in mid week and then Monchengladbach next week left, so we need to be really starting to build towards getting our starting 11 game time together.

Still hopeful we will get new players in, but it is sounding increasingly like we need to offload before too many more come in, except younger players. That is a worry to me, as I can’t see many clubs taking our players.

• 43 chasing_rabbits // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Is Mitrovic available to play today? He’s gone straight in the Dream Team

• 44 geordie157 // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:39 AM

Wouldn’t mind castaignos as an additional striker signing,keep cisse to the Jan window.

• 45 magpie6699 // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:40 AM

What’s the latest on LaBamba? Is he signed for sure?

• 46 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Is it 1pm?? That is annoying, just when I am out coaching!! Same thing with our match against Southampton! May have to delegate that session if we get a couple more bodies in through the door!

• 47 Fostino // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Mbemba and another cb needed. Austin as new no.9. Good quality winger to provide service needed as well.

Mcclaren had a look at the squad now..I think time coukd be up for some of these : Willo. ..colo…good….bigi. ..Fergusion. …marvo….abeid….tiote….cisse. ….riverie…cabella..elliot…vuckic

Give arrons..perez..kemen new contract

• 48 toonbrother // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:40 AM

we need a replacement for colocinni fast
    time is running out steve

KONGOLO should be our number one priority so Colo can return to his family
    GET it sorted Stevie Mac!

• 49 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:41 AM

chasing,
    Yeah, I put him in mine as well! Him and Aarons are my 2 NUFC players, both reasonably priced and hopeful of good seasons!

If Aarons stays fit he is a steal at £5million on there!

• 50 Fostino // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Not even pardew is going in for any of the nufc players. Shows how much he values them….except for caybe and remy

• 51 Ron Knee // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Lilongwe
    Details of the friendlies are on Ed’s home page.

• 52 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:44 AM

I’m still very confused by everyone’s desire to get rid of Elliot! Back in December most on here were criticising the club for only having 2 senior keepers. Now most are desperately trying to leave us in the same situation, whilst at the same time preventing Woodman from getting valuable game time whilst out on loan this year.

• 53 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:46 AM

Ron Knee,
    I wan’t doubting you, I just had never bothered checking. I had just assumed it would be on a bit later than that. I’m sure there will be a rerun available later I can watch to catch up with progress.

• 54 Graeme // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:50 AM

The match is being streamed on – footballstreaming.info
    Its normaly a good quality link and KO is 1300

• 55 chasing_rabbits // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Lilongwe,

Same here, got good feelings about them both this season.

• 56 Ron Knee // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Lilongwe
    Let’s hope it’s better covered than the Gateshead match.

• 57 catchy in norway // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:54 AM

just found this if anyone wants to watch the match

• 58 Rotonda heights // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:55 AM

lilo

i don’t think elliot endeared himself with some comments he made.

• 59 Rotonda heights // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:57 AM

cheers ron

• 60 Kris // Jul 26, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Graeme

Isn’t footballstreaming.info closed down?

• 61 Rotonda heights // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:01 AM

lilo

on a bit of a tangent how is football in tanzania these days. I know kenya produced wanyama.
    I was born in Tanzania, lived there for nearly 10 years and always had this soft dream of one day going back and doing some coaching there.

• 62 Graeme // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:08 AM

Kris – I watched the Real – ManU plus Chelski v PSG games on it last night and it was working just fine!!!

Man u, second half brought all 11 first team off at 60 mins, when winning 1-0 and put their 2nd team out. They were awesome to watch and won the game 3-1

• 63 VanToonMan // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:11 AM

Anyone have any good streaming links (unless it is televised – if so what channel?) to watch the match today?

Also are we not having any friendlies at home?!

• 64 Ron Knee // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:12 AM

RH
    You’re welcome!

• 65 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:13 AM

Rotonda,
    Yeah, I remember those comments, but at the same time it isn’t like he will feature much as a third choice keeper. I’m not fussed on how it impacts his career, whereas I would be for a lot of other players. I was one of the few who was okay with the club not having a senior third choice last season, and I would be again if Woodman still goes out on loan.

I just find it odd that many were so critical of the club for not having one, are now saying we shouldn’t have one. Everyone is putting Woodman as third choice, when in reality he should be out on loan this year.

If people aren’t going to complain if we end up in the same situation, then I’d be happy to see Elliot go and Woolston/Smith/Pearson acting as third choice if needed, with Woodman on loan.

• 66 Mister Tuff // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:13 AM

Just checked FSI seem to be up and running and have the match listed via VIP box -browser.

• 67 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Rotonda,
    Tanzania is a strange one. Just looking at the size of the country and the population, you would think that they should be able to compete with other African nations, but they are one of the weaker national teams. The standard in the league is very poor as well, not as bad as Malawi, but not much better considering they are our far richer and far more developed neighbours.

There is a prevalent school of thought that culturally East Africa ors not produce people capable of playing football well, I’m not convinced by that, but I am being sent a dossier which has shows studies into football in almost all the countries in Africa, and the likelihood they will produce top players.

Sunderland are busy setting up an academy out there in conjunction with an energy company. It is due to open for operations in the next couple of months. That will be the top facility in country, but all are very secretive over it. I’ve spoken to people involved in the project in Tanzania, at SAFC and at the energy company, but they aren’t willing to divulge much on their staff, plans or ethos. All very odd, particularly as all I was looking to do was to see their interest in working together to create a regional academy competition for Malawi, Tanzania, Mozambique, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

• 68 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:22 AM

*does not ors….

• 69 Sazzer // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Linked with Federico Mancuello today. 29 games, 13 goals, 8 assists

• 70 Crow59 // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:23 AM

I remember mentioning Carrick a while back, someone piped up saying they met him and he personally told them it wouldn’t happen. Times change and anyone can see that we are investing and hopefully moving forward. What better way to end your career though, at your home and boyhood club. Van gaal just needs his arm twisting a bit more as there midfield is now flooded with talent and I can’t see him getting a game, fingers crossed.

• 71 Belfast // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Is it on Sheffield Uniteds own channel ? Probably won’t be streamed if it isn’t.

• 72 Bobbybee // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:26 AM

Want somebody not linked to us yet? Yannick Bollasie at Palace is wanting out before he.gets Pardued. Young, fast, extremely skillful. Ticks all the right boxes for me. Available for around 15 million. Offer them 12 plus Collo.

• 73 Mister Tuff // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:26 AM

Ian Toon is receiving treatment at a psychiatrists in respect of his personality disorders. He has been prescribed strong medication by the psychiatrist. His first session went well and he has now returned for his second consultation.

Psychiatrist: “Now then Mr Toon can you tell me how you have been since our last appointment”?
    Ian Toon: “Gee Doc great, those tablets are working. I feel like a brand new person”.

Hahahaha. A quality gag even though I say it myself.

• 74 Kris // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:27 AM

Graeme

Fantastic! Looking forward to the game, hopefully the team play well today. Not long to the start of the league now.

Saw the game yesterday at norwegian television. United really impressed me. Think Darmian had a really good outing!

• 75 Rotonda heights // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:28 AM

Thanks Lilo,

I hope their day will come, with so many emerging African players now coming to the fore in ever increasing numbers.

• 76 JAMSHA // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:29 AM

Ron Knee

tnxx

• 77 Rotonda heights // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:29 AM

bobbybee

beat me to it.

• 78 JAMSHA // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:33 AM

catchy in norway

ok but iv seen no1 as commented ders excpt me..so is this fake?

• 79 Bobbybee // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Rotunda, sorry mate, but hey, great minds eh? 🙂

• 80 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 26, 2015 at 11:48 AM

Bobby,
    I’ve mentioned Bolasie a number of times. I’d much prefer him to Thauvin. Whether Palace would let him go is debatable though. Offer Palace Woodman senior and Colo plus cash. They had interest in Cisse a while back as well, but that may have gone since signing Bamford. HE would be another reasonable makeweight, although we would then need a centre forward in.

• 81 Jib // Jul 26, 2015 at 12:13 PM

Wijnaldum at Sheffield but no Mitrovic or Coloccini

• 82 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 26, 2015 at 12:16 PM

I can’t see any reason for Palace to let Bolasie go unless it was to one of the top tier clubs for a lot of money. I’d reckon they’d get at least 15mill. I have no doubt the Pearly King will do everything he can to keep him. Why wouldn’t he? Probably their most creative player. And it’s hard to imagine that NUFC would be on the player’s radar. I think we need to keep in mind that most Premeirship players will have us marked as relegation battlers again. We look through rose-coloured glasses as NUFC tragics after all. On the face of it, there’s not a lot happened to show the world we are going to be much better than last season. We’ve hired a freshly sacked Championship coach, and no signings so far with any PL experience. If you were a betting man with no interest in the club, you’d have to fancy us for relegation tbh. So, that’s just to say I don’t think we’ll be turning any heads of the “hot property” Premiership players.

previous post: Praise For Steve McClaren From Former Player