The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Praise For Steve McClaren From Former Player

8:48 am, Sunday, July 26th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 46 Comments

There’s a report in the Star today that former Middlesbrough star Stewart Downing was made aware that Newcastle were interested in him only a day before he signed again for his home town club – presumably to finish his career where he started it under now Newcastle manager Steve McClaren.

stewart downing young _1444177c

A young Stewart Downing at Middlesbrough

Stewart came through their impressive Youth Academy and was given his first team debut when Steve McClaren was there back on 24th April 2002, in an FA Premier League game away at Ipswich Town.

Stewart has talked about Newcastle’s potential move today:

“The only thing I heard about Newcastle was from Slaven. I didn’t get any contact and I didn’t know anything about it until he told me – and that was the day before I came here to Middlesbrough.¨

“It was news to me, but I was too far down the line with Middlesbrough.¨ “Once they came in, I spoke to the Chairman, Steve Gibson, and he said he could do the deal, so I wasn’t going to say ‘no’.¨

“I think it will be tough for him. They’re a very demanding club and crowd.¨ “He’s spent big on a couple of players and the pressure will be on him to do well.¨

“If he does not get a good start, the pressure could be on him, but I hope he does well because he’s a decent man”  “I had a really good time with Steve. He’s a very good manager and a good coach.¨

“He will make Newcastle hard to beat and do the best he can.¨ “But the Premier League is a very tough league.¨

Steve McClaren had a poor start to his management career at Middlesbrough back in 2001, when they lost their first four games, the fourth one being a 4-1 home defeat to Bobby Robson’s Newcastle – and that was the first goal they had scored that season.

They then had two wins against Leicester and West Ham to relieve the pressure.

Stewart would have added some experience to Newcastle, but we thought it was a good move for him back to Middlesbrough.

Hopefully they can get promoted this season back to the Premier League, after getting so close last season when they lost the play-off final to Norwich 2-0 at Wembley.

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

46 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 8:50 AM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 8:50 AM

Carrick? Why would SM build such an oddball squad? To fashion two entirely different teams? I don’t think so.

In other news. Krul or Colback as Captain? Ha ha ha ha ha. Ha. Ha.

Ha.

Ha.

• 3 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 8:51 AM

That’s because SM is his secret dad. A bit of worrying history about our incumbent is his erstwhile endorsement of this nothing player.

• 4 sparky55 // Jul 26, 2015 at 8:54 AM

funny to see agents trying to get a better price and deal for Sissoko claiming chelsea now want him.

Dream on

Colo next out the revolving door this coming week, then Cisse within two weeks, closely followed by tiote and Sissoko goes just before the end of the window.

Thats 240k a week off the books and about 33-35 million recouped to pay for the three more players coming in.

• 5 Lindisfarne // Jul 26, 2015 at 8:55 AM

Tsunki – that joke was only worth posting once!

• 6 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 8:57 AM

Which one?

• 7 Ron Knee // Jul 26, 2015 at 8:57 AM

Lindisfarne
    I couldn’t find the article either. It was also referred to in The Mag. Strange.

• 8 Menelauos // Jul 26, 2015 at 8:58 AM

Agree with Sparky, with that £30m we could buy a squad worthy of going Euro league, I’d be happy to see Sissoko leave, so many people seem to rate him, to me he seems inconsistent and greedy

• 9 hibbit // Jul 26, 2015 at 8:59 AM

sperky 33-35m for that lot don’t think so

• 10 WWSBRD // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:03 AM

Does anyone care what Downing says? Nope thought not

As for the captain issue Kruls a bad choice imo he can’t organise or control his back line and he is too far away from the action

Janmatt again too far away from what’s going on

It’ll probably be de Jong if he can prove fitness and if Colo goes

• 11 Menelauos // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:04 AM

£3m for Collo,
    £16m for Sissoko
    £6m for Tiote
    £8m for Cisse
    £2m for Willo
    £35m for all.
    Hopefully also shift on Gouffy £3m and Obertan for £2m
    That’s £40m

• 12 WWSBRD // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:06 AM

Menelauos
    Who is offering us all that money for those players?

• 13 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:07 AM

If we were seriously considering Downing then this is a bullet well dodged. Phew!

• 14 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:08 AM

£2m for Willo? Will you sell my car for me? 🙂

• 15 hibbit // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:09 AM

the problem with these lists……….. to sell you have to have buyers we have no buyers

• 16 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:09 AM

I think maybe half that tops. Maybe Cisse £6m atm.

• 17 hibbit // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:11 AM

tsunki that was the price given when boro asked about willo the never came back

• 18 Menelauos // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:11 AM

I’m speaking out of hope, I would personally wouldn’t buy Willo for half a pack of quavers. And @WWSBRD I’m being optimistic.

• 19 cestriasteve // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:11 AM

Strange how he hasn’t gone in for any of the Derby players. I’m surprised he ever looked or more importantly Graham Carr would look at Downing, consistantly inconsistent from both the bin dippers and the scorched ones.

• 20 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:12 AM

If you think back wasn’t Cabaye being suggested at £15m or thereabouts? Hmm.

• 21 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:14 AM

Hibbit do you really think they ask the Transfermarkt valuation, or is it just they have learned their lesson and put people off buying players in positions we haven’t got cover for? Good question I think 😐

I would have thought, if we had a replacement CB in, they would have taken someone’s hand off at the shoulder for £1 m.

• 22 WWSBRD // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:15 AM

Menelauos
    Haha fair doos mate but I don’t think we will get that much or sell them all

• 23 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:16 AM

Bornandraised…

Full name: Jamaal Lascelles
    Date of birth: 11 November 1993 (age 21)
    Place of birth: Derby, England
    Height: 1.89 m (6 ft 2 1?2 in)
    Playing position: Defender

• 24 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:17 AM

Cestria- whenever I saw downing busting a gut I still couldn’t see him getting a decent percentage of running past his marker. And he played for England! We must have been dire.

• 25 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:17 AM

Hearing former and passed it players praising McC is like hearing Ian and his aliases praising Belfast!

• 26 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:18 AM

Belfast loves the attention though Jesper. He feels special.

• 27 Jib // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:19 AM

GK
    Janmaat Mbemba Haidara
    (Taylor) (Lasce
    ;.,z1ec#;\[p/.zaev
    [mcds
    rf p’.O2 PO(Dummett) Carrick
    Colback (Anita)

Perez Wijnaldum Aarons
    De Jong
    Mitrovic

• 28 Belfast // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:20 AM

The express are the worst paper out there. I actually thought it was a dodgy bullshit website until a few weeks ago.

Austin on 28 grand a week desperate to move on is not going to be demanding 85 grand a week.

According to some he’s annoyed and thinks Qpr are pricing him out of a move. So why would he price himself out of a move ?

• 29 Belfast // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:21 AM

Ian toon in!

• 30 WWSBRD // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:22 AM

Belfast
    To help journalists sell newspapers?

• 31 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:22 AM

Never heard of “(Lasce;.,z1ec#;\[p/.zaev[mcdsrf p’.O2 ” – is he Croatian?

• 32 cestriasteve // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:23 AM

Is this guy commentating on the Chelsea vs PSG smoking crack he’s just said Van De Valde is fighting for his place at PSG. He’s outstanding!!

• 33 hibbit // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:23 AM

tsunki spot on i would keep willo get rid of taylor and colo he is by far lowest paid with very few injuries unlike the other 2 ………. all 3 only have 1 year on there contract to run

• 34 Belfast // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:24 AM

Lindisfarne to be fair Skunki did tell a funny joke 3 years ago.

• 35 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:24 AM

Are we really after Austin? Do we actually need him? I mean, nobody else seems to be interested in him either.

• 36 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:24 AM

Downing is very average, but looking at last season, he would have been our star player based on how he performed last season. 6 goals and 8 assists is better than any of our midfielders managed!

Not saying I would have wanted him here, but as a squad member ahead of Obertan? Or Gouffran? Or Riviere? Definitely a far better option.

• 37 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:25 AM

Belfast it was two years ago and you know it. I’d look up your last funny but Altavista isn’t what it used to be 🙂

• 38 Belfast // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:26 AM

I mustn’t forget the daily star by the way they’re equally as bad.

• 39 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:27 AM

Lilongwe but isn’t it also a product of being in a team with the requisite skills around him? I don’t think he would have lifted the level of play here. I have a feeling he would have been our left sided Goofy.

• 40 Tsunki // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:28 AM

Ah but the Daily Star did correctly spot a Land rover on the moon. I think.

• 41 Belfast // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:29 AM

Hahaha Aye that’s right Wwsbrd

Says a lot about your stories when somebody thinks Indi Kalia or some other wrongun is writing them.

• 42 will die for the toon army // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:31 AM

How is signing Carrick an ambitious move

• 43 chasing_rabbits // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:32 AM

WWSBRD

You think Austin would price himself out of a move to a PL team, just so that the press can sell papers?!

No truth in it whatsoever, more bullturd from the press. Even been denied by Austin’s Dad.

• 44 Belfast // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:33 AM

I actually used to buy the Daily star years ago haha well until it turned into a z list celebrity w@nk fest.

• 45 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:33 AM

Tsunki,
    West Ham had a similarly awful run of form to us at one stage. They weren’t exactly a top team. Downing and Sakho dragged them through to where they were. He was their second top scorer and their leading assists.

Are their players that much better? They can’t be otherwise why would we be turning our noses up at one of their top players last season?

• 46 magscar // Jul 26, 2015 at 9:35 AM

JFA

Just catching up this morning and haven’t yet gone through all threads but see your response to me from last night.

Taking you at your word ( am aware of various issues some have with Ian Toon but not the detail and hasn’t been my experience as you say) I can see why you have it in for him. But isn’t your reposting of old posts ( for no clearly discernible reason last night as far as I recall without going back through thread) simply going to prolong the issue between you.

Blog has been a lot better since club has gotten into gear and no I am not yet totally sold and am still being reserved. Surely you would agree though that differences between posters over who should be sold or not, possible formations etc are much preferable to slanging matches and oot lists. Even if not contributing I have once again begun to enjoy reading the blog at various times of the day after shunning it a few months ago as it was doing my head in. Doesn’t mean we all have to agree.

previous post: Newcastle’s Potential Problem With Charlie Austin Deal