The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

John Carver – I’m A Winner – Not A Quitter

11:22 pm, Monday, July 27th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 97 Comments

We were kind of hoping that after some of the nonsensical statements John Carver made this year while the interim head coach at Newcastle, he would lie low and maybe the pay-off from Newcastle came with an agreement not to talk about what happened last season – it was so painful.

steve stone and john carver

Steve Stone and John Carver at Bramall Lane on Sunday

But alas, that will not happen and Carver has been interviewed tonight in the local press, and it seems he hasn’t learned too much from managing 20 games at Newcastle, losing 13 of the them and winning only 3, and losing eight on the trot.

Here’s John’s record at Newcastle.

CompetitionPlayedWonDrawn LostGFGAGDPoints
FA Cup100101-1

But in the interview tonight he says he’s a winner.

This is what John has said:

“I’ve got a point to prove, to myself and to the fans of Newcastle.” “Not all of them, because the majority have been very, very good, but to the people who were critical.”

“I’m a winner – I’m not a quitter. Why can’t, in the future, I go away, be successful and return to Newcastle as manager under different circumstances?”

“I’ve been back to the football club a few times, and it would be a great story to do so again.”

John watched Newcastle’s 2-2 draw against Sheffield United yesterday along with Steve Stone – his assistant last season.

Maybe we are wrong but John seems to be the perfect pollyanna – a person who thinks good things will always happen and finds something good in everything.

It’s good to be positive, but with that you also have to be realistic and down to earth,  and fully grounded in reality.

The big potential positive for John is that if he goes carefully though what happened in the five moths in charge at Newcastle and is willing to learn by his mistakes – he could become a much better coach from the experience.

But realistically, even if he does that, his chances of becoming Newcastle manager in the future have to be very low.

But John doesn’t think so – that’s obvious.

Tags: Coaching · Head coach · Leadership · Management · Newcastle News · Premier League

97 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Jul 27, 2015 at 11:26 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Alternative Headline // Jul 27, 2015 at 11:26 PM

not exactly queuing up are they John ?

• 3 Tsunki // Jul 27, 2015 at 11:27 PM

John I don’t think it was a minority thing you know.

Give it up, you tanked.

• 4 Belfast // Jul 27, 2015 at 11:28 PM

Tsunki out

• 5 OneAlanShearer // Jul 27, 2015 at 11:29 PM

I always felt he was on a hiding to nothing taking the job and felt sorry for him even if he wasn’t very good but no I’m just embarrassed for him. He should have just kept his mouth shut. Not helping himself. He’s not a manager. A number 2 is as far as he should go.

• 6 Tsunki // Jul 27, 2015 at 11:30 PM

He he john you use that word ‘ winner’ very unwisely. And you’re not a quitter, you’re a sack-ee.

• 7 Tsunki // Jul 27, 2015 at 11:30 PM

Belfast Along!

• 8 Belfast // Jul 27, 2015 at 11:31 PM

Newport County next manager Alternative headline.

By the time he works his way back we’ll all be deed. (fingers crossed)

• 9 Tsunki // Jul 27, 2015 at 11:33 PM

OneAlan. The money must have been a burden.

• 10 Belfast // Jul 27, 2015 at 11:34 PM

His new club should probably ban him from speaking to the media.

That could work

• 11 will die for the toon army // Jul 27, 2015 at 11:35 PM

No please

• 12 Tsunki // Jul 27, 2015 at 11:36 PM

John looks like he’s at the dogs checking out how his whippets are running.

• 13 West Lancs Geordie // Jul 27, 2015 at 11:36 PM

He’s a winner & not a quitter apparently & allegedly The best coach in the country. So why is he still to of work then?

• 14 Belfast // Jul 27, 2015 at 11:40 PM

He’s not Skunki. It’s his birthday party and only Steve Stone turned up.

• 15 West Lancs Geordie // Jul 27, 2015 at 11:41 PM

Really pleased Raylor has go fixed up – he’ll do a 110% job for Bruce at Hull. ‘d have given both him & Gutierez another 12 month contract each there’re far better (for effort & commitment)than some of the dross we seem to be clinging on to

• 16 Tsunki // Jul 27, 2015 at 11:42 PM

…and he wasn’t invited.

• 17 Bri // Jul 27, 2015 at 11:42 PM

Nice suntans or do they both need a wash.

• 18 Barton // Jul 27, 2015 at 11:44 PM

If ppl actually took the time to read the full piece in the Telegraph and not jst quotes from chronicle its a decent read,i thought was more intresting that he went and saw a shrink after the leicester game 2 or 3 times.

• 19 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 27, 2015 at 11:47 PM

Is that winner or weiner john?

• 20 Thump // Jul 27, 2015 at 11:57 PM

In all fairness, since becoming unemployed Carver and Stone have been hammering FM.

• 21 Thump // Jul 28, 2015 at 12:00 AM

@Barton: Joking aside, you’re absoltuely right, it is interesting and it further proves to me that Carver was never cut out to be a premier league manager. He, quite simply, has not got what it takes.

For those interested.

• 22 Bobbybee // Jul 28, 2015 at 12:02 AM

Barton, I’m still smiling at his assertion that ‘you have to be mad not to see a psychologist…’ what a star!

• 23 Alternative Headline // Jul 28, 2015 at 12:06 AM

@Belfast – really ? wow

• 24 Crow59 // Jul 28, 2015 at 12:33 AM

Haha Belfast, I feel your pain. My I suggest a shrink?? Seems to be all the rage these days 🙂

• 25 Alternative Headline // Jul 28, 2015 at 12:53 AM

read the article Thump, feel sorry for the guy but he’s deluded. And an even bigger prat than I thought after his admission of the Williamson incident. And as for the journalists quote about “his successful period as manager of FC??Toronto”, well I wouldn’t call a win rate of 30% great. I wish him all the best but he if he loves coaching he needs to drop a few divisions & keep up the therapy

• 26 Thump // Jul 28, 2015 at 1:02 AM

@Alternative Headline: Completely agreed. I really would love to see him succeed, but like I said, he just doesn’t have the makeup to be a success — at least at this level, anyway.

That said, after some of his talk about people in lifts, and cleaners coming to have a casual chat with him, I’m taking his words with a pinch of salt. The bloke needs a lot more than a couple of sessions (with a psychologist, not in the Bigg Market!)

• 27 Thump // Jul 28, 2015 at 1:04 AM

Knew there was something I forgot to say: “But Mike was fine and after the two-match suspension, he actually played well.”

Most quotable moment from Carver. “Couldn’t believe it, the lad had a game in him!”

• 28 Crow59 // Jul 28, 2015 at 1:15 AM

Hopefully next season we won’t find out if mike Williamson has a game in him, I’d prefer to play mike ashley at the back. Fat ash might not be the quickest but at least he has a brain.

• 29 Alternative Headline // Jul 28, 2015 at 1:21 AM

..which sadly alludes to fact that Carver still believes that it was the right thing to do. To me he doesn’t sound like he’s learned much at all from what must have been an awful experience, but one in which I think most people would have learned a lot. His shrink must be raking it in.

• 30 lochinvar // Jul 28, 2015 at 1:46 AM

And now back to the main feature after that interruption:
    From the BBC site this morning, various possible movers:

Tottenham will make a £15m bid for West Brom striker Saido Berahino, 21, this week and the White Hart Lane club are also targeting a move for 26-year-old Crystal Palace winger Yannick Bolasie. (London Evening Standard)
    Newcastle do not want to pay QPR’s £15m asking price for striker Charlie Austin but the Magpies will bid £13.25m for the 26-year-old. (Daily Express)

• 31 lochinvar // Jul 28, 2015 at 1:50 AM

Anyone fancy a trip to Hull,
    ” Ryan Taylor scores your goals “

• 32 expatmag // Jul 28, 2015 at 2:56 AM

I did feel sorry for him for a time. He had to deal with a lot of issues which he was clearly unqualified to do. I did think he should resign for his own health because the comments he was coming out with were becoming more and more confusing and controversial.

He clearly loves the club and we were his dream job but unfortunately, he wasnt good enough to take his opportunity.

• 33 Dingo†® // Jul 28, 2015 at 2:59 AM

Whilst I am glad to see the back of Alan Pardew, Crystal Palace have bought some good players… will be interesting to see when and how they get Pardewed.

• 34 King Colback // Jul 28, 2015 at 3:09 AM

We are 6/1 to sign Matt Phillips, maybe a double swoop with Charlie Austin?
    Saw this on twitter:
    Remember him when he played here in Blackpool he was awesome

• 35 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 28, 2015 at 5:07 AM

To be fair, the blame for the Carver debacle really lies with Charnley doesn’t it? As always, with him, the cheap option was taken to engratiate himself with the fat pig. Carver wasn’t going to refuse the job, was he? As poor as he was, you would have to say he did have the team’s best interests at heart as well as his own. As for Charnley, his only interest is in making himself look good to Ashley. Charnley out.

• 36 will die for the toon army // Jul 28, 2015 at 5:42 AM

Good morning,
    The topic this morning is Charli Austin it looks like he will b a NUFC player. That brings it to mind that we will b playing two on top if we buy Austin. Coz if its Ian Cathro setting up e attack then diamond formation is e mostly used system in Spain. But Austin Mitrovic are not tap in kings mainly better with their heads so dont know wat they r thinking. But diamond formation is wat I wld go for if I was Mcclaren and I wtd two on top with players we have.
    Things can be changed around with having Aarons or Obertan (if he stays) or Perez on the wings.

De Jong, Cabella can behind the two forwards Colback, Wijnaldum and Sissoko can be box to box midfielders. Anita Abeid and Tiote can be defensive CMs. We have do many good midfielders for this to work out.

A CB is a must coz Colo wont b fit all the time we have to careful with him 33yrs is a big no. So get a young hard working CB Abdennour Matip Rudiger Shawcross. Any can do.

Mcclaren diamond formation is the way to go with midfilders and Forwards we will have. If Austin is coming and Cisse has to stay for this to work.

• 37 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 28, 2015 at 5:53 AM

I hope we do sign Austin and I do hope we play 2 up top, the one striker lineup looks hopeless

• 38 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 28, 2015 at 5:53 AM

Btw morning all, would love to be asleep but woke in agony 🙁

• 39 will die for the toon army // Jul 28, 2015 at 5:54 AM

This is the team I wld play if every one is on form and fit to play:
    ………………………De Jong
    Darlow, Durmett, Colback, Cabella, Perez, Aaron, Cisse.
    if that is not a Top 6 Team then what is it. Any one off the bench can make an impact.

• 40 will die for the toon army // Jul 28, 2015 at 5:56 AM

Sorry TFL every thing will b ok soon. We r praying for quick recovery

• 41 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 28, 2015 at 6:30 AM

no worries WDFTA and thankyou
    On a lighter note Armstrong looks to be going to Coventry on loan

• 42 will die for the toon army // Jul 28, 2015 at 6:37 AM

TFL isnt it too early.Rivere is still out.

• 43 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 28, 2015 at 6:39 AM

Maybe making room for Charlie Austin?

• 44 Santon03 // Jul 28, 2015 at 6:41 AM

The players I think we have to let go are Cisse, Tiote, Gouffran, Obertan.
    I don’t mind we keep Willo, he will be good backup like he showed 2 seasons ago. We have Saylor, Colo, Mbemba, Llaceles, Dummet (showed that he can be good cb), then willo will be 5th or 6th cb and we have Satka as backup as well. I can’t imagine anyone would want to sign as 4th,5th or 6th cb, unless we have terrible luck losing 4cb at the same time under SM & co.
    We have Marveaux, Cabella, Sissoko, Aarons, Perez (who can play winger), unless we are selling Marv, Ober and Gouff then we don’t need anymore winger.
    I still have hope for Riviere to come good for us this season and if we signed Austin then we have Mitro, Austin, Rivi, Perez, and Armstrong.
    Cisse’s time is over imo.
    I can’t wait for the season to start, it will be good season under SM & co even if we don’t buy anymore players. It will be different style and hopefully SM can get the best of the players including Willo.

• 45 MidlandsMag // Jul 28, 2015 at 6:46 AM

Santon03 @ 44

I think Armstrong has been loaned to Coventry. Not sure if that means the rest will stay.

• 46 will die for the toon army // Jul 28, 2015 at 6:55 AM

If we r to play 2 on top then we need Cise even If he jst plays for 15 mins. Guy knows where e goal is. Imagine Austin and Mitrovic dont play well we can send on Cisse and he can do something. Imagine a bench of Rivere or Perez.

Austin and Mitrovic r better technical players than Cisse but not so much better than him. I wld like him to stay.

Sell Willo Taylor ( if we get a new CB) Marvuex Goufrann Vickic

• 47 Ron Knee // Jul 28, 2015 at 6:59 AM

This article sums it all up for me:

• 48 Ian Toon // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:02 AM

The lack of communication from the club has been a long standing problem but let’s give credit where credit is due. The best updates I’ve read of Newcastle’s forays into the transfer market this Summer have been emails from the club, like the one saying that we are making progress with the signing of Mbemba and will know more in a few days which statistically is likely to be his Birthday, or at least one of them.

• 49 EllaGuru // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:14 AM

There is no reason to be giving this guy a platform. Arrogance, ineptitude and stupidity all in equal measure ruined it for Carver.
    How we sat there and fed the fans with drivel week after week was beyond belief. He ended up believing his own nonsense at the end.
    We cannot forget how close we were to the drop last season. We need a fresh start, and moving on from Carver will help this.

• 50 EllaGuru // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:16 AM

@Ian Toon 48,

Also, McClaren, while he does repeat himself, is consistent, courteous and professional in his dealings with the media.
    I actually get the impression that the club is really rowing in behind him. Of course after the first 6 games of the season we will have a better picture, but so far, so good!

• 51 beermonkey // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:17 AM

how long is the loan deal for armstrong

• 52 Ian Toon // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:18 AM

We can but hope.

• 53 EllaGuru // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:19 AM

will die for the toon army,

Cant see us playing two up top mate!

However that Sissoko/Gini partnership looks damn tasty!

• 54 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:23 AM

Newcastle had £4.8m bid rejected for M’Baye Niang before Mitrovic swoop

• 55 will die for the toon army // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:23 AM

Ron Knee

I have read the article and I believe Mcclare he has enough with Colo & Mbemba with Durmett Taylor and Lasceles learning from them. If Colo and A big if he can recap the form and professionalism he had then I think he is right to partner Mbemba. With Taylor Durmett and Lasceles as back up. Austin is an improvement to e team. We can hold on Colo for one or two more years.

• 56 EllaGuru // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:23 AM

@ Ian Toon 52
    A second CB would surely help!

• 57 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:23 AM

Morning it doesn’t say

• 58 hibbit // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:25 AM

the 2+1 signings so far 2in 1 pending are very good for the club austin and phillips would be a very good buy and bring a lot of prem experience to the club arons and sdj will be like new signings the 2 lads from forest look ok hopefully in time they will prove there worth……… my biggest worry is the back four and the clubs failure to address the most obvious of problem we have we need and have done for a long time a big commanding cb who can head the ball and organize the line if we don’t i fear we could end up in the same position as before alway chasing the game

• 59 Ron Knee // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:28 AM

I’d like to think you’re right, but I can see the defence as it currently stands – even with Mbemba – getting cut to shreds.

• 60 beermonkey // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:28 AM

well any first team football is help him I hope its for the season

• 61 deeps // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:29 AM

Anyone picked their fantasy premier league side?

• 62 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:29 AM

beer…lets hope it’s for the season! Would like to see Bigi being offered a similar loan deal; the same goes for Satka!

…youngsters always seem to make up numbers at this club.

Anyone remember who of our players enter their finale year of their contract?

• 63 EllaGuru // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:29 AM

@ deeps 61,
    You want to create a group and post it here?

• 64 Santon03 // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:30 AM

Midland & will die

I didn’t know about armstrong to coventry, then possibly Cisse will stay.
    I think the players will play better under new management especially Cathro. We can have new additions in January if there are some areas need strengthening. I’m happy with the way things has gone at the club now, good patient intelligent buys imo Mitro, Gini, Mbemba, possibly 1 more striker maybe Austin or not, still thinking about that mystery buy could be a striker.

• 65 will die for the toon army // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:30 AM

If am to choose btn taking a risk on Colo as CB and spend the 15m on Austin I wld do it.

Colo has been a player from the time we boughthim and I still he I good. Defenders get better with age and I believe with EPL expexperience he will b able to organise that defence. Start up the play from the back. We will need a very good defensive midfielder. To protect him since he is 33 yrs old and will need to be rotated from time to time with Durmett or Taylor. He shld play few cup games and we r good to go.

• 66 Mag52 // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:31 AM

Willo the willing. Tall (useful asset in a CB), good fitness record, no histrionics, 100% effort, limited ability but experienced PL player and well worth keeping on the books imo.

• 67 EllaGuru // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:32 AM

@ 65 Will Die For Toon Army
    Problem with Colo is he cannot organize the defense when things get tough. The amount of times he disappears in big games is unbelievable.

• 68 beermonkey // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:34 AM

this thing of the kids making up numbers is one of the things I hope ends
    not sure whether abied will stay or go but after his good loan spell should have been rewarded with more starts not when we were injury ravaged

• 69 spitfire_ // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:35 AM

John Carver: I’m a wiener.

• 70 EllaGuru // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:35 AM

Saying Willo has limited ability is being generous! The lad has the ball control of a lesbian!

• 71 will die for the toon army // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:40 AM

Having an attacking line of Austin and Mitrovic is interesting.

I have had Bounsong Bramble Darbizas Obrein and all the worst defenders u can think of.

But at e same time I have had Shearer Ferdinard Ginola Bellamy Robert.

I have better memories with wat is down that the night mares I had up. I can take that risk not
    To buy a CB keep Colo and Get Austin and see some goals being scored. Mitrovic (26) and Austin (18).

• 72 hibbit // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:42 AM

to be honest if we keep colo i would play him in front of the back 4 in more of a free roll hopefully filling any gaps as he can read the game but cannot put it in to words to organize the back 4

• 73 the broons // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:45 AM

just letting people know as much as they want to deny it, its true.

Tiote singlehandedly protected our defence for the full season in our season we finished 5th. Yeah Colo was also playing very good then too, but tiote was breaking up play before the defence even had to intervene. If we can get him back to that kind of form and keep key players like de jong and aarons fit this seasons along with the new additions to the squad then i think a top 10 finish is definitley not beyond our reach.

• 74 Jib // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:45 AM

And non pc on about 4 different levels

• 75 sparky55 // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:46 AM

Deluded to the very end!

• 76 the broons // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:48 AM

very interesting to hear you say that, i was shouting that the whole of the second half of last season until my dad pointed out to me that we were short on centre backs as it was.

However I do totally agree that I feel now in his later stages of his career with next to no pace that he could be best employed in a holding role between defense and midfield.

• 77 will die for the toon army // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:49 AM

the broons

I believe Tiote can still break up play the problem is his decision making after he wins e ball and being injury prone.

• 78 the broons // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:50 AM

who? carver? thats old news mate, ill take you back to about april and his “best coach in the league” statement.

• 79 EllaGuru // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:50 AM

Explain to me why it is a stupid comment? It is merely trying to emphasize my firm belief that Willo should be nowhere near the first team, nor the reserves for that matter.

While my choice of analogy may not have been the most appropriate, and I accept that, my belief that Willo is not up to standard does not change a bit.

• 80 EllaGuru // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:52 AM

And if the post is so offensive to you, why did you re-post it?

• 81 the broons // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:57 AM

will die for toon army,

And I agree monumentally with you, last season I was the first to admit that his need to try the world cup ball all the time was really hindering his overall game. Hes just not that type of player, however why aren’t the coaches drumming this into him!?

List of things coaches should be doing currently with the squad;
    Tiote- get him doing simple passing drills where the objective is after gaining possession to play simple passes to teammates around.
    Krul- Get someone like aarons just whiiping balls into the box and he has to come out and be strong and commanding.
    Cabella- Beardsley needs to tutor this guy, make him realise that instead of doing stupid flicks all the time he would be better use driving at the defender and making them commit.
    Riverie- simple this one, give him a ball, give him a net, a keeper can come later. Get him used to bursting the net.

• 82 sparky55 // Jul 28, 2015 at 7:58 AM

broons / Hobbit

Put a 33 year old cart horse has-been CB into re-training to be a back four protector???

I think we have an abundance of much younger players who can play in that role before Colo should ever be considered.

I’ve never known a CB to be caught out of position more that Colo. The amount of times he was left on his arse or players just waltz into space around him was unforgivable and if Jonas wasn’t worthy of another chance then Colo certainly isn’t.

Can’t see the point of keeping Colo at all…he’s on 60k a week and allegedly two premiership teams will pay a couple of million for him so IMO we should let him go and move on…he was never that good and moving him into one of the most important roles there is in our club (protecting the back four) would be nothing short of a disaster

• 83 deeps // Jul 28, 2015 at 8:06 AM

Just picked my fantasy XI

Rooney(VC) –Lukaku

• 84 Slank // Jul 28, 2015 at 8:09 AM

Tiote still has a role to play.

He is still the best at the club at breaking up play.

His weakness was dwelling on the ball. Perhaps in a team geared towards possession football with players adept at it he will be able to release the ball quicker.

• 85 tooned in // Jul 28, 2015 at 8:11 AM

Is anyone else feeling strange – every time someone selects their squads (me included) there are reasonable players left out !! Do we finally have a reasonable squad !! ?? Obertan left out, Anita missed, I forgot Perez !? starting to get excited for the new season – All positive till they sell socks for £25m!!!

I think Anita is above Tiote in the diamond two up top as he has better technique under pressure – check gives up the ball way to easily … But ffs at least we have choices now ?

• 86 lesh // Jul 28, 2015 at 8:13 AM

Ayew’s seemingly lined up for Villa so Austin gets closer to SJP?

• 87 the broons // Jul 28, 2015 at 8:16 AM

well said slank, and sparky i am saying along with hibbit that if he has a role to play then possibly defensive midfield suits him more now, particularly in the absence of tiote.

• 88 Ian Toon // Jul 28, 2015 at 8:16 AM

“Anyone remember who of our players enter their finale year of their contract?”

Look on
    – on left QUICK LINKS
    – 3rd down PLAYERS.

• 89 lesh // Jul 28, 2015 at 8:16 AM

And whilst it’s obvious that the dynamic duo of Carver and Stone are touting themselves about, unless Carver shuts up, I can see him being troublesome.

He’d be best advised to keep his trap shut as his utterings won’t do him any favours on the job front.

What a clown.

• 90 Jib // Jul 28, 2015 at 8:17 AM

This is what Carver said after his 1st game in charge v Hull City on 31st Jan

“I’m delighted. If I’m being brutally honest, my emotions are in my face, I very rarely tell lies but when I am lying it is obvious in my face. I’m a happy man.

“I want this job, and have all re-focused on what is really a 15-game season. We are getting players back from injury, and they have all got to compete and get in the team.

“Everybody’s re-focused, because they know I am now the head coach, and I hope we are going to go forward.

“It was very emotional towards the end when I went across to the fans because a long time ago I was standing there with them and to be on the pitch and to be in charge of this fantastic football club – it was quite incredible.
    It makes a big difference when you know you’re manager or you’re head coach, and in charge for the rest of the season.”

What a shame

Out of the next 14 games we only won 2 more.

You can’t rewrite history JC.

• 91 the broons // Jul 28, 2015 at 8:18 AM

lesh hes officially gone to villa, but i said from the start of the window i can see him going to west ham, amount of times players that go down a league decide to move a club without too much relocation.

• 92 Slank // Jul 28, 2015 at 8:19 AM

Tooned in

I think Tiote would work well alongside Anita who is good under pressure and can often get out of dangerous situations and would allow Tiote to play the simple pass.

However, who to leave out in midfield as Colback, Gini and De Jong can’t all play unless McClaren has a formation tucked up his sleeve.

• 93 sparky55 // Jul 28, 2015 at 8:22 AM

Anita very rarely gives the ball away unlike Tiote.

Tiote has this goddam awful and always predictable turn away from the direction of play in an effort to get more space and lost it every time. He needs to learn to do what Davy Mc used to do in eighties…put everything into getting the ball at whatever personal cost and then pass it short to a ball carrier and job done.

Tiote needs to stop trying to be something he’s not…his breaking up of play when he first came was outstanding…he then started to think he was something he wasn’t and started to over complicate his role.

Keep it simple and everyone benefits

• 94 Munster Mag // Jul 28, 2015 at 8:24 AM

Ella that was a pathetic comment re ball control

• 95 hibbit // Jul 28, 2015 at 8:48 AM

sparky my first choice would be get rid but it looks like we are keeping him… if we do he will play him if for no other reason then 60k+ a week i dont want him at cb

• 96 mickalfas // Jul 28, 2015 at 10:00 AM

Tiote has a future here,if the attitude has improved
    Hopefully with all the changes ,he’ll get back to what he once was
    He was probably taking on too much before ,with the dross surrounding him
    Now with the improvements in the MF ,he can stick to what he’s good at ,breaking up attacks
    Let’ssee if he plays on sSaturday against decent opposition

• 97 EllaGuru // Jul 28, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Munster Mag,

It was the only expression that fully expresses how strongly I feel about Willo not being good enough for this NUFC team.

I was slightly shocked that some on here even suggest that he should be kept as a squad player. For such a tall CB, he cant even effectively compete against the burly forwards that he comes up against from time to time in the PL.

You can feel the panic amongst the rest of the team as soon as the ball is at his feet. Numerous times last season, Janmaat chose not to play the simple ball inside to Willo, rather going long himself, or coughing up possession. Why do you think that is?

previous post: McClaren Plays Down Importance Of Captaincy At Newcastle