Newcastle Signing Concerned About Tough Schedule

The Newcastle pre-season schedule is hectic to say the least, and the lads played on Sunday afternoon at Sheffield United less than three days after getting back to Newcastle from the last game of the US tour on the west coast at Portland, which is about 4800 miles from Newcastle and an eight hour time difference.

gini wijnaldum after socring sgeffield

Gini Wijnaldum – after scoring on Saturday

New signing Gini Wijnaldum has talked about that today, and how difficult it was for the players to perform at Bramall Lane on Saturday in the 2-2 draw, after enduring a 10 hour flight back from Oregon.

This is what the 19 times capped Dutch International had to say:

“Three days after coming back from America, it’s hard to play after a 10-hour flight.” “What’s harder is that a lot of players’ body-clocks were still on US time.”

“Since getting back, I’ve been waking up at 4:00am,  and been unable to sleep, and I had the same problem before the match.”

US trips are always difficult for the players, because of the vast distances they have to travel and the time changes they have to endure – even while they are here in the US.

Head coach Steve McClaren was diplomatic about it, and said it had been arranged, and they had to get through it somehow – and they did, but in that second half the lads looked tired.

That’s hardly surprising – but hopefully tomorrow night at York we’ll see them having recovered some.

But then we then take on Borussia Monchengladbach on Saturday afternoon at home.

As we said this has been a  tough pre-season schedule for the lads.

• firebug666

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:48 AM

from previous, as Ed moves along.

The good news here is, he has not ruled out anymore signings.

He is right about assessing the squad with the new signings integrated, but; a big but here, time is of the essence. I know there is a month left, but out deals seem to take such a long time to get done.

• hibbit

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:51 AM

sparky my first choice would be get rid but it looks like we are keeping him… if we do he we will play him if for no other reason then 60k+ a week i dont want him at cb

• hibbit

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:54 AM

its not just the flights its the time zones in the usa

• JamesToon

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:56 AM

NUFC along with everton are chasing City wonder kid Cameron Humphreys (Centre half)

• martoon

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:57 AM

Something tells me that next pre-season we won’t be going to the States 🙂

• hibbit

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:57 AM

magpiesi we need a cb with prem experience first

• hibbit

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:58 AM

martoon……….. HOLLAND

• Liverpool Mag

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:59 AM

James

What’s the source of that? i’d rather buy a tested centre back, ideally my first choice would be Shawcross but that’s never going to happen lol

• magpiesi

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:00 AM

Looks like Armstrong going on loan to Coventry for the season.

• JamesToon

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:01 AM

liverpool mag

daily mail

• OneAlanShearer

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Why do people keep mentioning Shaw cross. If he left Stoke it wouldn’t be for us.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:03 AM

We have spend two thirds of the window on signing three players and one is still not done!

Knowing we would probably need 6 or 7 players. Non have really been moved on either!

I am really not going to praise ’em on their effort…quite frankly I think it’s a bit pathetic!

• hibbit

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:04 AM

a move like that can only do the boy good lets hope he gets game time

• Liverpool Mag

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:05 AM

James

Cheers mate

• firebug666

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:06 AM

Armstrong’s loan deal to Coventry is exactly what the lad needs. He should get plenty of first team football there and hopefully score plenty of goals.

I think everyone, or most everyone knows we need another CB for this season, preferably a home grown player who has experience in the premiership.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:06 AM

I really didn’t have problems with the jetlag. I sort of just made the changes before the flight back and went to bed as I would normally.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:07 AM

poor old carver really needs to up the dose, the drugs aint working.

Another day, more austin bleatings but nothing about defenders. can’t say they weren’t warned as every man and his wiife can see where our fundamental problems lie.

• magpiesi

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:07 AM

Hibbit

I agree we need a full back cover and cb first but sadly I think smc will want a look at dummet at cb and he has 3 expieranced cbs to play with and also mbemba so on the books we have 7 in that position inc young kids so until one or two are off the wage bill I Carnot see any cb coming in.

• hibbit

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:08 AM

i think people keep bring shawcross up because he is the type of player a many see as the answer to a lot of our problems

• catchy in norway

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:08 AM

jesper

i had a good time in aarhus, until the last day, my car got broken into at Bilka :(, stole my camera

• Jib

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:09 AM

Next season we won’t be going to the USA because we’ll have Euro cup games early doors.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:09 AM

fire

if a player goes out on loan how does it affect the roster, ie does it free up a space or are they still stay as part of the NUFC playing list for 2015/2016, if you see what I mean ?

• will die for the toon army

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:12 AM

If Mcclaren sees anything like ability in Durmett or Lasceles he is going to buy a new CB. with
    Mbemba (20), Durmett (23) and Lasceles (21). He will c like they will develop together learning from either Colo or Taylor.

• firebug666

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:15 AM

Jib

Hopefully we will be in Europe, but that’s not guaranteed, especially as we still just look like a team of also rans, poor pre-season so far in my opinion.

I am hoping the Nitro-Mitro and Mbemba will change our fortunes for the league games otherwise it will be just same old same old, with an added keep ball bit.

So far we have conceded more goals than we scored……deja vu.

• will die for the toon army

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:16 AM

Sorry guys he wont buy a CB

• firebug666

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:17 AM

Rotonda

Armstrong is under 21 I think so it will have no effect, but if a player over 21 goes out on a season long loan, then the club will not register him so a space will be created.

• will die for the toon army

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:24 AM

Got excited abt Austin and Mitrovic partnership then a possibility of playing a diamond formation. I dont care if we a CB any more I will keep my fingers crossed for a good season from Colo and Mbemba not getting injured. Taylor keeping around as back up. Durmett and Lasceles learning their trade.
    Sell Marvuex, Goufrann, Willo, Obertan.

• lesh

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Firebug

Whilst it’s only right that current players should be assessed by McClaren, time has been and is becoming precious.

With his back against the wall, McClaren and Charnley in particular should have considered the opinions of others who could offer a qualified comment.

We’re all well aware who’s not up to the standard required for a serious attempt a moving the Club forward and surely those weaknesses could have been addressed with good signings. Should the ‘weaker’ players prove to be better than thought or previously played, the fine, we’d have gone some way to adding more strength in depth to a seriously week squad.

However, Ashley and Charnley are perhaps too budget conscious to allow that.

• will die for the toon army

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:32 AM

This team is a Top 6 team with every one fit and on form:
    ………………….Krul
    Janmatt……..Mbemba……Colo…….Haidara
    ……………………………..Toite
    ………………Sissoko…………….Wijnaldum
    …………………………….de Jong
    ……………….Austin…………………Mitrovic
    Subs:
    Darlow, Durmett, Colback, Cabella, Perez, Aarons, Cisse.

THAT IS MY DREAM TEAM. Mcclaren make it happen.

• firebug666

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:38 AM

lesh

Good players were hard to find in last years squad as the whole set-up from top to bottom was total garbage.

We may or may not have a few gems in there, but if I was to judge so far on this pre-season I would lean more towards may not.

It will take time for McClaren to stamp his mark on what was a pi$$ poor squad of players, and the three we have brought in (IMO) are not enough.

I 100% agree with your post @ 28, I think the worry was the phrase Ashley used when he said “the best value pound for pound”.

When he said that I was worried, and alarm bells were ringing, but I have also been surprised by these signings.

I would have thought McClaren could have assessed this squad from watching a few video’s of last years games, and I’m sure he did, but things are still just dragging along.

The massive clear out we all expected, has not happened, and three in so far is a joke, we need at least six in and a shed load out.

• The Great Valerio

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Yes, it’s really heartbreaking. I mean all that travelling and playing football and stuff.

• The overrated Frenchman

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Agree with the sentiments of Firebug and Lesh. The signings so far are an improvement on recent dealings. They look like quality and fairly priced. But there has still been too much sitting on the hands. You could still build a ship out if the dead wood in the squad. McClaren seems to be genuinely comfortable as a “head coach” rather than manager, but lack of football know-how at the levels above him is obvious. The poorly conceived pre-season schedule attests to that. With the Balding Bumbler at the helm, the ship of dead wood will eventually sink, I fear…

• Jib

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:56 PM

• dazza

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:50 AM

I know how he must feel. Jet lag can be a real drag for the morning meeting. It must be rough traveling as a footballer these days

Must you say this? Come on Gini-lad, toughen up.