The Newcastle United Blog

News and Commentary On Newcastle United By Ed Harrison, A Proud Exiled Geordie And Lifelong Fan

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Steve McClaren Coy On New Signings

8:18 am, Tuesday, July 28th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 10 Comments

Aleksandar Mitrovic has been training back with his former club Anderlecht while he obtained his visa, and the 20 year-old is due back in Newcastle today to start training with the lads, and head coach Steve McClaren will assess him and see if he is fit enough and ready for the game tomorrow night against York City at Bootham Park.

steve mcclaren closeup at sheffiled united

Steve McClaren – coy on new signings

This is what McClaren has said about the exciting new Newcastle striker:

“He’s been training with Anderlecht,” “He’s had a few days away on his own because of the situation.”  “But we expect him to come in on Tuesday and we’ll assess him and see whether he’s ready.”

“Then see if he’s right for a few minutes on Wednesday whether he should wait until Saturday against Borussia Monchengladbach.”

Newcastle have been held up in their efforts to sign center-back Chancel Mbemba from Anderlecht,  as Newcastle await approval from the FA before they can go forward and secure the visa, although that’s expected to happen before the end of this week.

But it’s doubtful that Chancel can make an appearance on Saturday when we take on Borussia Monchengladbach at St. James’ Park, which kicks off at 3:00 pm.

As far as new signings, there was news last night that Newcastle will finally lodge a bid for Charlie Austin – reported today to be £13.25M by the Express.

We assume the figure has to lie somewhere between the £12M Leicester bid, which was turned down, and the £15M evaluation of the player by QPR, which Newcastle have said is too much for a player who could become a free agent next summer.

£13.5M would be half-way between those limits, so maybe it’s just a glorified guess coming from the Express?

This is what Steve McClaren has said about the current status of Newcastle transfers:

“We’ve really been concentrating on those first few deals.” 

“We were really concentrating on getting Wijnaldum in, which we’ve done, and before we start thinking about anybody else, I’d like to see the other two out there because that’ll give us a much better idea of where we’re at..”

“I haven’t been able to see Mitrovic or Mbemba since coming back from the States yet, so let’s deal with one thing at a time and get them out there training and integrated into the squad..”

“Then we’ll wait for further developments if they happen.”

Steve did say earlier this week that he expected one or two players to be signed this week – so maybe they are Chancel Mbemba and Charlie Austin, and both of those players would be excellent signings for Newcastle.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

10 responses so far ↓

  • 1 Slank // Jul 28, 2015 at 8:23 AM

    Very sensible from McClaren.

    He is cautiously optimistic. Clearly he doesn’t want to raise every bodies expectations.

  • 2 Ian Toon // Jul 28, 2015 at 8:29 AM

    Which is precisely the stance MACCA took on Sunday. He has behaved in a professional way going back to when he was first approached to replace Pardew. I like his style of when talking to the media it could just as easily be to the fans.

  • 3 Munster Mag // Jul 28, 2015 at 8:30 AM

    Slank true but the obvious concern has to be that mbemba is not going ti be enough. Also we said same re mbiwa and he was a poor signing, unsuited to english football. I presume steve is saying that if he gets austin the budget is used up

  • 4 Derek // Jul 28, 2015 at 8:35 AM

    “wait for future developments IF they happen”

    sounds like we are waiting on that line again… the line which we will just miss out on getting another CB over.

  • 5 firebug666 // Jul 28, 2015 at 8:44 AM

    The good news here is, he has not ruled out anymore signings.

    He is right about assessing the squad with the new signings integrated, but; a big but here, time is of the essence. I know there is a month left, but out deals seem to take such a long time to get done.

  • 6 magpiesi // Jul 28, 2015 at 8:52 AM

    Mbemba and another player before Friday Rolan,thauvin,or the young dm from marsellie lamina. then I think it will be a case of if any offers come in for our players.

    If that happens they will react and replace but another month of t/window yet the later it is the more prepared teams are to match asking prices.

    IMO I think Austin will sign for someone in last week of window after a few games he can have a look at how teams play and where he thinks he will fit in.

  • 7 one fine day // Jul 28, 2015 at 9:06 AM

    Austin is a bonus
    To me the biggest signing we need now is a cb .
    Matin in and I would snap Leeds hand of for willo (will plus cash for by ram anyone)
    Unless Maclaren has seen something in Goode or Satka we are not aware of ,but going into a season relying on colo taylor is just asking for trouble
    Colo will get his back twinge around Christmas so he can slink of to Argie and Taylor will have done something to end his season by October.
    Even van dike is still worth a look I think

  • 8 Sir Braveheart // Jul 28, 2015 at 9:44 AM

    There won’t be any signings after Mbemba.

    I’m okay with this.

    Three top class signings – all three lads wouldn’t be out of place in a 3rd-6th placed team – and kept our key players. Thats good business.

    McClaren said when he took over he was looking at three windows to overhaul the squad.

    Three quality signings this summer. One or two in January after he’s had time to fully assess the squad and knows which players are going to be on board with his vision and who isn’t up to it, and another two to three signings next summer.

    If we’re sat here this time next year having made six to seven acquisitions of the calibre of these three so far, I’d be happy.

    I know we all want the squad fixing this window. Its not going to happen. No team is built overnight, it takes time, and three windows is a reasonable time frame to ask for.

    We’re not getting any more this summer. In my mind we’ve still moved forward. You might say “not by enough” but forward progress is still forward progress. The squad we have with the management team we have is good for 10th this season. Thats a step forward.

  • 9 James RS // Jul 28, 2015 at 12:00 PM

    First McClaren says there will be several signings including one special signing and now he says there maybe wont be anymore signings at all…whats that all about?. Loyalty?
    So we lose Ryan Taylor; Guttierez and Sammy Ameobi who were all playing in the latter part of the season and albeit have been replaced by Mitrovic; Wijnaldum and Mjemba. …BUT if we get the same number of injuries again we will be struggling big time…we still need 2 or 3 good players (esp centre back and winger) to make up the squad numbers just in case…its where Ashley keeps making his mistake year after year too small a squad to cope with injuries its not necessarily the quality! (repost)

  • 10 Sivarese // Jul 28, 2015 at 12:54 PM

    Even with these three signings, we’re still woefully ill-equipped for the season in terms of the squad. Assuming we’ll have the same injuries as last year we need more than these new guys. Don’t forget about the players we let go of, on loan or otherwise. I’m quite excited for the season to start, but I reckon Sissoko, Cisse and Coloccini will be gone within the next month. It’s laughable that they can’t negotiate more than one deal at a time.

previous post: John Carver – I’m A Winner – Not A Quitter

next post: Newcastle Signing Concerned About Tough Schedule