The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Why Georginio Wijnaldum Signed For Newcastle

8:31 am, Wednesday, July 29th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 16 Comments

Georginio Wijnaldum has spoken today in the Shields Gazette, and he credits head coach Steve McClaren and goalkeeper Tim Krul as the two people who persuaded him to join Newcastle.

Gini is comfortable with the way McClaren plays the game, after knowing him when he managed FC Twente a couple of times, and Tim Krul has been trying to get him to Newcastle for a number of years now.

Well – it’s all paid of and this classy young player is now a Newcastle player.

georginio wijnaldum and Steve McClaren

Wijnaldum with McClaren when he signed on at Newcastle

Gini has looked good in his last couple of games,  and scored each time with no nonsense accurate shots, and he should get some goals for us this season.

He will probably play in the middle of the park with another classy Dutchman – Siem de Jong – and with McClaren’s connections in Holland we could be seeing more Dutch players coming into Newcastle.

This is what Gini has said:

“I know Newcastle struggled a bit last year, but I also know they are usually higher in the rankings.” “But it’s a new season and everybody starts over and you get new chances.¨

“It also helps me a lot to work with the trainer (Steve McClaren).¨ “I talked with him before I came in and I know him from Holland, I know his way of playing. I feel comfortable with that.¨

“It’s similar to how we play in Holland, so that was another reason why I chose to come to Newcastle.¨

“I didn’t know a lot about the club but I’ve spoken over a lot of years with Tim Krul and that’s why I chose Newcastle. I feel really comfortable with my choice.”

It’s worth thinking whether we could have signed Wijnaldum if John Carver had been head coach – there would have been no chance of pulling this one off – whatever John may say about it.

Tonight Newcastle play at York City and it’s likely to be a second eleven because of the game against Borussia Monchengladbach, but it’s a good chance for some of the fringe players and youngsters to show what they can do.

Tags: Coaching · Georginio Wijnaldum · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

16 responses so far ↓

• 1 LGFUAD21 // Jul 29, 2015 at 8:33 AM

Yorkshire

I agree

Before Mitrovic came, Austin was my preferred choice but I do think Berahino offers something a little different.

We need the sort of striker that could create something out of nothing which we don’t have. Remy did well because he could do that when the team couldn’t create chances.

Balotelli could be that striker if he sorts himself out. He is a brilliant player that should be winning trophies left right and centre.

Winger is bigger priority than striker for me. Provided we keep cisse. If we really are in need we can get another in January.

• 2 Yorkshire Magpie // Jul 29, 2015 at 8:42 AM

keep Balotelli away from this youg team, he could do more damage than good, plus im not a big fan

• 3 Jib // Jul 29, 2015 at 8:49 AM

If Pardew really wants Coloccini.
    I would do a deal involving Bolasie

• 4 Tinman // Jul 29, 2015 at 8:49 AM

I’m sure Steve Black could make Balotelli sensational

• 5 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 29, 2015 at 8:52 AM

Taking in to consideration the list of contracts (players need moved on) Ian posted and the fact that we have only signed two players so far maybe three coming Thursday, I think we are for a brute awakening this season!

• 6 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 29, 2015 at 8:53 AM

Jeff…why don’t you throw Obertan and Marv in while you’re at it 😉

• 7 Bobbybee // Jul 29, 2015 at 8:54 AM

Balotelleeeeek! No, please, not that again. Can be brilliant in his day, no denying that, it’s just that when he’s not being brilliant – which is more often than when he is – he’s a liability. McClaren likes to concentrate on building a strong bond throughout his teams and Ballotelli likes it to be all about him. None starter for me – thank gawd!

• 8 SuperShearer // Jul 29, 2015 at 8:56 AM

@JIb, Spurs were quoted £25 million for Bolasie. Not sure he’s in our budget.

• 9 andy77 // Jul 29, 2015 at 8:56 AM

I’m new to the blog as a poster but follow it all the time. Don’t know about everyone else but the I’m excited about seeing de Jong and gini in the same team. Not sure how? An attacking 4-1-2-3 perhaps?

• 10 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:00 AM

About Aaron’s contract

• 11 Tinman // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:00 AM

I said when Zaha first went to Man U that Bolasie was a better player. Could have been bought for 2 or 3m then I reckon

• 12 Jib // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:05 AM

Tinman
    Good call that
    Never underestimate the power of Blackie – he turned a very average Welsh National Rugby side into World Cup contenders.

• 13 Bobbybee // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:09 AM

Being what can be described as a new poster on here, I get somewhat confused by this jeff/jib/jane/whoever elses name gets thrown in. Can somebody please give me a quick rundown because I have no idea what’s going on or who’s who half the time! Is it just that somebody changed their poster name – which seems pretty harmless – or is somebody pretending to be several people still, in order to back up their own arguments – which seems pretty bizarre to say the least. Or is it just harmless banter that being new, I’ve completely missed the joke?

• 14 Jib // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:15 AM

Bobbybee
    There is a coterie , a hardcore , of long time posters on here (no names no pack drill ) who although they won’t admit it , used to rule the roost. No matter how hard they try to embrace the concept of a welcoming open forum with many shades of opinion they (understandably) feel they have ownership rights and sometimes that feeling of proprietorship spills over into handbags at 5 paces.

• 15 toonincheek // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:06 AM

JIB –

As a long time reader and occasional poster, with no axe to grind:

Your summary does NOT match my own observations over the years.

• 16 lesh // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:19 AM

Boobybee

If it’s any comfort, Jeff/ Jane/ Jib and one or two others don’t know who they are most of the time.

There’s been much analysis of these characters and the conclusion’s been that they’re crackers, round the bend, barking mad, narcissists.

Just have fun with them, they love the attention.

Worry ye not,