The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle In Shock Move for Top Class Argentine Center-Back

9:18 am, Wednesday, July 29th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 148 Comments

Newcastle United are reported to be after Valencia’s Nicolas Otamendi, the Argentine International center-back who has 25 caps for his country and who some very big clubs are after.

Nicholas is a very good player who joined Valencia last summer after spending four years at Porto and he’s a highly regarded defender on the continent.

epa04753996 Valencia CF's Argentinian midfielder Nicolas Otamendi celebrates after scoring against Celta during the Spanish Liga Primera Division soccer match played at Mestalla stadium, in Valencia, eastern Spain, 17 May 2015.  EPA/Kai Foersterling

Nicolas Otamendi – Valencia’s Argentine center-back

He joined the Spanish side sixteen months ago for €12M (£8.5M) from Porto, but his transfer fee will be higher than that now because he had a very good first season for Valencia.

The rumors started with Italian journalist Emanuele Giulianelli tweeting this yesterday:

But some other top clubs are after him and they can offer him Champions League football – and they include the top two clubs in the world – Real Madrid and Manchester United.

Manchester United want him if they cannot get Sergio Ramos from Madrid, and that deal now seems like it’s doomed to failure, so they could make a move for the Argentine.

However, the Mail is reporting in an article the Red Devils will not target the 27 year-old.

Real Madrid were said to be interested if Ramos left them this summer for Manchester.

But it seems we would have no chance of getting this player if the price of £35M being banded around is accurate.

That’s far too high for Otamendi and Newcastle wouldn’t pay that.

If we did and we brought in Charlie Austin that would be around £85M Newcastle would have spent this summer.

One thing in Newcastle favor is we now have Ian Cathro at the club, and he will know all about this player after being the assistant manager there last season, and if he is a good salesman then it may be possible to attract the lad to Newcastle.

But for a player who cost £8.5M eighteen months ago £35M is over four times that previous transfer fee, and far too high for the 27 year-old 6 ft tall defender.

It’s a deal Mike Ashley would be proud of – but only if he was the seller and not the buyer.

If the fee was half that – it could be a decent deal for Newcastle.

Otamendi started his career at his home town Buenos Aries club Velez Sarsfield before joining Porto in 2010.

He played 122 times with 10 goals for Porto, and since he’s been at Valencia he’s played 38 times with 6 goals.

He made his Argentina debut back in April, 2009 for coach Diego Maradona when he started in a friendly with Panama, after playing only 11 games for the Velez Sarsfield first team.

We would be shocked if there’s any chance of Newcastle getting this player over the line.

But we are (very) willing to be wrong about that.

Joel Matip of Schalke and Aymen Abdennour of Marseilles are two very good center-backs we have been linked with, and would seem to provide better value for Newcastle.

What do you think?

148 responses so far ↓

• 1 Moe // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:24 AM

Shocked would be an understatement ..

We make our own luck he said ..

oh btw Ashley OUT!!

• 2 Tinman // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:24 AM

This must be a joke

• 3 Big Steve // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:25 AM

No chance. Move on.

• 4 sweendog // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:29 AM

we were linked a few years back, I wonder is that were this came from. barring a miracle this won’t happen.

• 5 Jamseyd24 // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:29 AM

Ed, what none-since, I seriously believe we will not sign another player this summer, not one who will improve the 1st team anyway.

• 6 bob // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:30 AM

Valencia, are just trying to start a bidding war, Matip, is more realistic target.

• 7 Jib // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:31 AM

Ed has got himself a bit confused here
    If Sergio Ramos had gone to Manure then Real would have looked at Otamendi.
    Ramos has kissed and made up with Rafa Benitez.
    However van Gaal doesn’t rate Otamendi so the stories begin.
    True Cathro trained him , but he is very good pals with Jonas Guttierrez who may not give NUFC a good report.

• 8 Bambams // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:38 AM

Still think the Celtic lad will be the one we get. Been linked with him so many times and he is Dutch…
    Just like QPR. ..Celtic holding out for over inflated price when he is in last year of contract
    Could even see both Van Dijk and Austin signed in the last days of window.
    Trick is you need them to want to sign for YOU and not another club. Get that and they hold all the aces, clubs have to agree with the club or watch them walk at the end of contract
    In my humble opinion

• 9 WWSBRD // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:38 AM

I mean really is this worth the time it took Ed to write?

• 10 Wijnotthen // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:41 AM

AHAHAHA, ed can we please not just pluck things when news is short, report ones we can take from serious sources, gets this fanbase, which is amazing but fickle, excited over kindling

• 11 Bobbybee // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:42 AM

Jib, sorry to push it mate, but I’m still none the wiser 🙂 I suppose the simple question is are you several personalities at once? Where you ever posting as jeff and jane? And why are people insisting you are? It just all seems a bit bizarre and seriously confusing and appears to take up a lot of blog time, of which I feel completely confused by. It keeps appearing and I just can’t help but wonder wtf is all that about!

• 12 Jib // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:42 AM

Van Dijk would crawl on his hands and knees on broken glass from Glasgow to play for the toon.
    Do you realise how much coverage we are going to get in Holland this coming season and the Euro Nations just 12 months away.

• 13 Bobbybee // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:48 AM

Jib, I’ll sweep up that broken glass for him, don’t worry. The last thing we need is another injury problem cause by serious lacerations! 😉

• 14 Jamseyd24 // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:48 AM

Bam & Jib,

I dont watch a lot of Scottish football since the Gers went down.

Is this Celtic lad really that good? I remind you Scottish prem is extremely poor.

• 15 martoon // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:49 AM

Bobbybee – There used to be a poster called Jeff In Benwell who could be quite abusive to certain posters. I think he was blocked by Ed (although I may be wrong). Soon after that Jib appeared with the same style as Jeff but a little more rational who many believe is a re-incarnated Jeff (the initials fit). Other posters also believe that Jane is an alter ego of Jib/Jeff as she has a similar style!
    I have to say while Jib/Jeff/Jane has always defended their corner robustly I have always found you can have a decent debate with him/her!

• 16 Jib // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:50 AM

I’m jib and only jib
    Never been called Jeff
    A lot of the chidish behaviour that goes on here I gave up in Miss Wilkinson’s class at King Edwards school North Shields more years ago than I care to remember.
    One point to note
    Ian toon once e-mailed Ed about multiple posters.Ed wouldn’t give any names but he did say the ones who do the most accusing were the most guilty of transgressing.
    I do know as well that some of the regulars on here know each other off blog and , if you can believe it , text each other.That lot I think are all NUST members.

• 17 Jamseyd24 // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:50 AM

Last I heard the Dutch were struggling to qualify for the Euros.

• 18 overtheline // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:52 AM

Jib // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:05 AM
    Never underestimate the power of Blackie – he turned a very average Welsh National Rugby side into World Cup contenders.
    What a joke !
    You clearly have no knowledge at all about Rugby Jeff.

• 19 Ibizatoon // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:53 AM

Let’s not be too hasty here. Is it really that far fetched that Ashley might sanction a £35m transfer for a CB?

I’m not sure what’s more unbelievable, the £35m or that we might actually get a CB in…

• 20 firebug666 // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:54 AM

£35 million?

Is that value pound for pound?

• 21 WWSBRD // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:59 AM

All depends on which side of the wall u fall on as to who u believe
    I could give u my opinion but it means just as much as the next

• 22 firebug666 // Jul 29, 2015 at 9:59 AM

I’m jib and only jib
    Never been called Jeff

How can you lie to people like that, you know that we know you are Jeff from Benwell, you even answered post left for Jeff, forgetting that you were now Jib.

Let the gullible hang on your every word, Jeff, but some of us know how vile you can really be.

• 23 doofa the loofa // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:01 AM

Wouldnt be too surprised if he turns up..
    go on Mikey.. bolt that horse on.. happy days..
    Mike (make your own luck) Ashley deffo IN!!

• 24 lochinvar // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:01 AM

Smoke and mirrors.
    The more we are linked with players of this price and calibre the more out stock as a club rises. Perception is a large part of this transfer game and if players, press and agents see Newcastle pitching in alongside the likes of City then that makes them think that we are a serious top 4 thinking club.
    Meanwhile that keeps prying eyes away from our other intended and perhaps more realistic targets who we can then sign because they see that we are indeed a top club and before any other club such as Spuds, Villa etc can react.
    When you’re on the up , you’re on the up.
    The future is at least brighter and part of it may well be Orange in the Dutch sense.

• 25 Jib // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:03 AM

overtheline – not my words honeypie

• 26 Bobbybee // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:06 AM

Jib and martoon. Thanks for clearing that up for me! So, jib is jib, jeff is another jeff who wasn’t the one who got blocked and jane is just jane. And the only real conection is the initial J. As they might say on Little Britain – what a kerfuffle! 🙂

• 27 Jib // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:06 AM

firebug666 – we know you are Jeff from Benwell

Thats right J.I.B. are the initials of Jeff f….
    oops just a minute

Ha ha ha

• 28 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:09 AM

Jeff…why the Ian Toon charades?

• 29 Ian Toon // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Ibizatoon- Are you the same individual who previously posted as Ibizatoon- Back by popular demand ? Or was that another more popular Ibizatoon?

• 30 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Jeff #27…don’t laugh at firebug it’s you who cannot spell!

• 31 Jib // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Someone on here said that van Dijk pledged his loyalty to Celtic as long as they are in the CL , once they are eliminated he’s offmans.
    To be fair he is a stand out in their side (and I’m not referring to his 6’4″ frame)

• 32 firebug666 // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Wow you must have worked really hard on that, Jeff from or Jeff in, makes no difference they are the same person..YOU!

The thing is Jeff I don’t really care what you call yourself now, I know who you are as do many others. Those who do not will find out in time as you always revert to type.

I just don’t think you should lie to people to try and make your self out to be someone else.

• 33 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:14 AM

Spending £8M on a defender from the SPL I think we have went the sorry path before…thank you, but no thank you!

• 34 WLtoon // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:14 AM

This is gargage.
    Its not worth saying any more than that

• 35 ToonAndy // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:15 AM

Apparently they have said 35 million

Williamson and 5 million…

• 36 banjax // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Nothing wrong with the club’s ambition to sign the best players within our means. Great to see. But Otemendi is a rumour, but it makes far a half decent Blog subject on a quiet news day !

• 37 bladeuser // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:17 AM

A few injuries and all u season ticket wallies could end up watching the same team we had out last season with a strike force off cisse the offside king riviere i could,hit a barn door a midfield of i want to play for arsenal mr sissoko a defence of colo willo and saylor which says fill your boots opposition strikers
    think about this as it is possible
    nufc needed to sign at least six top class players even to compete for a top eight place
    three what u would expect any team to do take liverpool there squad was much better and they have bought seven
    we have spent the money that has been there for the last two years
    this regime is rotten and soon s mac will come out with there statements he has already said he is happy with the squad ie cisse could play with mit colo is one of the best gouffy is part of his team
    this is a manager who was sacked remember from derby and when we were looking for a new coach loads on here did not want sm
    Yes time will tell but it does not look good if this is our lot

• 38 Jib // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:18 AM

I still think we’ll get Mr Dunk the giant biscuit from Brighton and Hove Albion

• 39 swemag // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:20 AM

This would be like spending three years transfer budgets on one player. A bit risky if you ask me.

• 40 Jib // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Pause for breath son

I know you are trying to keep the Nitrous Oxide in , but you are going blue in the face

• 41 lesh // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Repost from previous thread

If it’s any comfort, Jeff/ Jane/ Jib and one or two others don’t know who they are most of the time.

There’s been much analysis of these characters and the conclusion’s been that they’re crackers, round the bend, barking mad, narcissists.

Just have fun with them, they love the attention.

Worry ye not, you’re not alone.

• 42 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:23 AM

JamseyD24. I’ve never seen van Dijk play (that I can recall), but my kinfolk in Glasgow don’t rate him as anything too flash. Mind you they hate all things tim. I have to say I don’t read a lot of glowing praise for him in general compared to some of the other “in demand” CB’s in Europe.

• 43 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:26 AM

bladeuser – don’t disagree with your sentiments tbh, even if they are not put with a great deal of eloquence…

• 44 firebug666 // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:27 AM

I would love the Otamendi rumour to be true, but in the real world it’s never going to happen.

Ashley has sanctioned some transfer fund, but has also stipulated that we have to get the best value pound for pound.

Does Otamendi represent that value at £35 million, he is 27 years old, so he will not have much of a sell on value.

This just seems like a none story.

• 45 lesh // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:29 AM

You’ll have noticed that Jeff/ Jib/ Jane is a font of knowledge, able to.provide chapter and verse about anything.

He/she/it has mastered Google so well, he’s in line for the Googler of the Year award – again!

• 46 martoon // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:29 AM

bladeuser @37 – When you say “season ticket wallies” do you mean us supporters who are the backbone of the club and without us their would be no NUFC?
    We know we need more strength in depth but it is difficult to persuade players to come her just to sit on the bench!

• 47 Rotonda heights // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:29 AM

isn’t lascerations the lad from forest

• 48 andrewsneill // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:30 AM

I’m still in shock that we paid over £10m for not oneplayer but two players in this window. I really can’t see us splashing out over £20m on one player even with the new tv money. Aside from anything else it would definitely spell the end of spending this summer and we desperately need a winger as well as another centreback (on top of Mbemba). Right back cover would also be nice but probably getting greedy there….

• 49 Bobbybee // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:31 AM

Firebug, I ain’t gullible mate, I’m just curious. As I never heard from this Jeff with the nasty mouth, it really doesn’t matter to me one way or the other. I’m new remember, whereas from what I can gather this has gone on for three years – well before my time. I just wanted to know wtf it was all about to be honest. Now I wish I hadn’t bothered as it appears to have stirred it up again, which wasn’t my intention at all. I can only take people at face value as I’m completely in the dark. Clearly the two parties ain’t ever going to reconcile their differences, so the safest thing for me to do is look at the evidence and say – I’ll sit this one out. I’ll continue to respond to all parties equally because clearly, I ain’t going to get a definitive answer either way and frankly, it’s none of my business. When in doubt, keep my nose it, is one of my mottos. 😉 Not having been privy to the previous three years, it’s fair to say all new bloggers can’t possibly pass fair judgement because there’s always two differing stories. I shall continue to treat all bloggers as equal opportunity bloggers 🙂 That way, I don’t upset anybody.

• 50 Bobbybee // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:32 AM

Keep my nose it? Out, ya mug ya! 🙂

• 51 Bobbybee // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:34 AM

Rotunda very good my friend 🙂

• 52 Ibizatoon // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:34 AM

Ian…I am the same Ibizatoon. Has my popularity plummeted?

• 53 hibbit // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:35 AM

bladeuser one sure way of bring fans around to way of thinking is to insult them keep up the good work ,,,,,dick head

• 54 Jib // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:36 AM

It is not clear whether Otamendi’s 35 million is € or £ however either way there are much better CB’s for that money in Europe.

• 55 hibbit // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:37 AM

rotunda…… he is bladeusers mate

• 56 Shaker Shakrah // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:37 AM

I think this article is a joke
    Newcastle can’t go and pay 30-40 million for a quality
    TOP CLASS international center back like Otamendi .
    He is TOO good for our club + I think he won’t accept us anyway .

• 57 Ibizatoon // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:39 AM

On this other “debate” that’s going on. I too have had many emails shared with Ed. It’s been well covered on here in the past.

Let’s just say that Ed has never said that Jail has used more than one username, other than “Raj” which he openly admitted on the blog the same day…as it was a joke.

To this day, I cannot understand why Ed wouldn’t clarify matters and put this to bed.

I’m sure most people could then draw a line and move on. I guess we’ll never know.

• 58 firebug666 // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:41 AM

No problem mate, My comment was not intended to cause any offence and I apologise to you for that.

On his day, as with all bloggers he can have a decent debate.

It’s not my intention to belittle anyone or try to score brownie points, I just didn’t want any of you to swallow lies and leave yourselves wide open to his abuse. (and it will come, it always does)

I agree you can only take people on face value, especially on here as you do not know anyone.

Lesh said it best at post 41, just enjoy the blog, and have fun.

I hope this has not tarnished us debating in the future.

• 59 thevirus // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:44 AM

This story has no truth to it at all, also come on people who really gives a shite if jib is Jeff or/and Jane I don’t

• 60 davetoon // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:46 AM

Not sure if this has been posted yet but its worth a look.
    its new shirts with teams old sponsors logo. Broon Ale for us. Oh if only

• 61 Rotonda heights // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:49 AM

the virus

i think the confusion comes if you don’t know if you’re dealing with 1 or 3 people’s different opinions!

• 62 Ian Toon // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:49 AM

martoon- I don’t live in the north east anymore so I’ve given up my ST. My father and a brother are still ST holders and they sit with fans the family have known for years. Most football fans are armchair supporters but in the Premier League most spectators now watch every home game that their club plays. At the most successful clubs only season ticket holders can be guaranteed a seat. These are the hardcore fans and it is a shame that Ashley has sucked the life out of the club and many have said no more. Mind should we start well then we will undoubtedly have more ST fans and less casual fans at SJP.

• 63 Bobbybee // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Martoon, I got my ST through the post the other day and couldn’t be happier. As I’ve said previously, I’ve been a loyal fan for all my 58 years and witnessed things that put our current situation to shame. I support the team and always will. We’ve had many owners who’ve taken more out than put in, as have many other clubs up and down the country. I personally would never allow my obsession with one single person to drive me away from my club. If people wish the club to be run in a certain way they should buy it. Failing that, just don’t go, they won’t be missed and Ashley will never be broke by the loss of a few grand. He makes more in interest in a year than the entire ST budget. They need to look at clubs like Pompey to see badly run clubs. I despise Ashley for the way he’s treated us, but I’ll never stop supporting the team, when I view it as cutting off my nose to spite my face. Season ticket wallies? Get a life!

• 64 Rotonda heights // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:54 AM

love these guys who are trying to market the shirts without the wonga logo. good luck to them.
    wonga make me feel physically sick being associated with.

• 65 Ian Toon // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:55 AM

Ibiza – Not with me. Time is a great healer even where football is concerned. I was trying to lighten the mood – I have always had a bizarre sense of humour.. Hope your having a good summer.

• 66 Jib // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:55 AM

I have been reading loads of Spanish stuff.

One factor I hadn’t thought of was Ian Cathro’s replacement at Valencia viz Phil Neville who would not paint a good picture of us to Otamendi.

The Valencia squad is in Kamen in Germany at the moment and Spanish journos are allowed much more access than we are used to , they watch all training sessions and are even allowed in the changing rooms to listen to the craic between footballers.

• 67 Bobbybee // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Firebug, not for one second my friend. I’ll debate football all day with anybody who’ll listen to me. I don’t bear grudges anyway, but you didn’t cause me any offence to bear a grudge. Honestly? I wish I’d never raised the subject. 🙂

• 68 Rotonda heights // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:58 AM

fair enough but if people hadn’t boycotted or held demos we could well have been going into another season with carver, stone and very little to no investment in the team.

I think those combined actions really shook ashley for perhaps the first time to have a look at things. You don’t hire someone like Bishop unless you’ve been rocked.

• 69 Ian Toon // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:58 AM

• 70 martoon // Jul 29, 2015 at 10:59 AM

Ian Toon @62 – I’ve no problem with people who are not ST holders or who have given them up because of Ashley. What boils my p*ss is being abused because I’ve decided to retain my ST to see what happens this year – often this abuse is from people who’ve never set foot in the ground in their life!

• 71 Ibizatoon // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:00 AM

Ian…I too have a bizarre sense of humour. As such, I’m going to sit on what my brain wants to say and I’ll get on with some work…

Summer is crazy. Hope alls well with yous too.

• 72 Rotonda heights // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:00 AM

”– I have always had a bizarre sense of humour.”

Would that be the explanation we seek Ian.

• 73 hibbit // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:01 AM

rotonda…….ordered 2 yesterday for my lads will let you know what there like when they arrive……. look good on the web

• 74 Jack // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:03 AM

Ok, for some reason my name has changed to Jack. It happened when I was moderated for god knows what. I’m YoungMagpieFromBurnley by the way! Didn’t want to keep that secret from all of you sherlocks out there…

• 75 Ian Toon // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:04 AM

Rotonda- You’ve cracked it!

• 76 martoon // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Bobbybee @63 – Yes mine came yesterday as well – I thought is was a bit tight not giving you a new case and the badge and key-ring are a bit non-descript however the half price restaurant card could be useful 🙂

• 77 firebug666 // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Iv’e always been of the opinion that there is plenty of room for season ticket holders and armchair fans.

I myself cannot go to the matches anymore, but if I could I probably would.

In a protest situation it is always good to have voices inside as well as outside SJP, and if there is no need for protests, the getting behind the team and giving them that Geordie roar is surly worth the extra man label.

The key to this whole ST holder vs armchair fan debate should be staying UNITED. When the need arises like last season for example a united will have a better chance of getting a result.

Fans going to SJP are an important part of football, without them we may as well play behind closed doors.

• 78 Jib // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:13 AM

Oh Dear
    David Warner out for 2

• 79 thevirus // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:18 AM

Rotonda, I understand where the confusion comes from but it doesn’t matter to me if its 1 or 3 opinions, never agreed with anything Jeff said ,Jib is just a google fanatic and Jane seems reasonable, so it’s my conclusion that if this is one person then they have some serious mental issues and should seek medical treatment before they hurt themselves or someone else

• 80 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Who helped develop this guy into a 35 million defender ? Thats right our new boy Cathro !!

• 81 Ian Toon // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:23 AM

firebug- Total Fans= loyal fans from last year+fans sensitive to winning+ random fans.

• 82 Jack // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:24 AM

Why do people actually care who is who? Kind of feel a bit sorry for you jib, constantly being accused and outed when most of your posts are football related. They really are obsessed its crazy!

• 83 Slank // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:24 AM

I very much doubt Newcastle would be after Otamendi purely because Cathro is now at our club.

If we are after Otemendi it would only be a coincidence that Cathro was also at Valencia.

Newcastle rarely (Ferreyra being the exception ?) don’t as far as I can tell buy players off the cuff. A lot of research is done before an approach is made.

If the bloke is curious about us he can always phone Colo or Jonas.

• 84 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:26 AM

Can anyone help….

My son has a ST. It’s discounted due to health problems. He wants to let me use it for the first match, as he is away. However, although I know the DLA discouny is not an issue (i know others who do it regularly), the ticket is a junior one. He is only 17. Would i still be able to use it?

• 85 Bobbybee // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:27 AM

Rotunda, this is one of those cases where we’ll have to agree to disagree. Personally I think he’s just protecting his interests and to be honest, as those protests never atracted more than a few hundred – well under a thousand at best – I’m not convinced he even noticed, with his head being so far up his own arse. I have no row with people who think boycotting helps, but I think it only damages the club. My opinion, right or wrong. I only get annoyed when my undying loyalty is abused by people, many of whom haven’t got a ST to give up! When you’ve been in SJP with only 8-10k others, when times were really bad, to be called part of the problem is bang out of order. Like I say, agree to disagree mate. It’s your money to spend how you see fit, but equally that applies to me as well. One thing we definitely agree with 100% – Ashley is a tw@t! 🙂

• 86 Slank // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:32 AM

I apologize if someone has already flagged this up but it is essential reading for everyone who is interested in transfer dealings:

• 87 Bobbybee // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:33 AM

YCMIU. You might well get away with it, but if the stewards know that a reduced priced supporter usually sits there, they might ask to see your ticket. That would sadly result in him losing his. Alternatively, you could use it and pay the difference. That’s got to be your call mate. New season, possibly new stewards… The ground seldom sells out on the first day due to holidays anyway, so you could get in, wait to see where there’s empty seats and just jump in there! Best I can do mate.

• 88 Bobbybee // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Martoon, aye, the half price food does look well worth it 😉

• 89 Jack // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:39 AM

Otamendi? Yeah right. Like we’re actually trying to sign a CB! 😉

• 90 Ian Toon // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:41 AM

Smith is out – caught Cook b Finn –

• 91 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:42 AM

Martoon@46 – I think there would be great rejoicing if there was no NUFC as the entity it has become. A commercial vehicle for one of the most loathed men in Britain I’d suggest. I’ve never said ST holders are “wallies”, but I’ve used the term “sheep” and I’d stand by that. At some point -I believe- people have to have the courage of their convictions and stand up and be counted. Everybody who has renewed a ST is by definition supporting Mike Ashley’s version Newcastle United. You really are not entitled to then be as critic as well. And that’s fine, if that’s what you choose to do. Others see a bigger picture. Admittedly it’s easier for those of us who don’t have an option to pay up and go to the matches. We don’t have to make that choice. But my grandad hauled himself out of a pit to watch his team play, and he’d be turning in his grave to see what it has become.

• 92 overtheline // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:44 AM

Back to being a Google expert ? You know sweet FA about rugby let alone Wales as an international side. Pity you haven’t the nous to admit you’re wrong.

If you believe a single fitness coach can turn “average” players into world beaters you don’t understand the game at all. So Warren Gatland had zero influence ? Halfpenny, Biggar, Charteris, Jenkins, Lydiate, Phillips, Priestland, Warburton, Davies, Hibbard are just “average” are they ?

Black worked with Wales full time on fitness up to 2000 and Falcons and Wiklinson early 2000s. Wales didn’t win the 6 nations in that very barren period till 2005.

Wales have never performed to their class or really hit form at the right tiome for the World Cup – the loss to France in the SF being as close as they’ve got realistically – you’ll know the score or can google it if you don’t – and they lost that because their world class captain Sam Warburton got sent off by Rolland. Remember him ? You’ll know all about Rolland’s reputation with Wales won;t you ?

Wales have just won the Six Nations back to back in the last four years with a Grand Slam too in 2012. And who was the man who single handedly turned their ‘average’ players into world beaters then ? Probably the Welsh Head Coach…

• 93 Jack // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:45 AM

No links for the game tonight? Might have to go to sleep instead. I just really hope Mitrovic takes part but I doubt it!

• 94 overtheline // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:46 AM

twice in the last four years

• 95 Jack // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:48 AM

Very quiet on here at the moment…

• 96 Rotonda heights // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:54 AM

I’ve been going to sjp for over 45 years, back in the day with 14000 watching them play Luton!!.

I just think in this case that boycotting, even short term, was the last option available and the only thing that hadn’t been tried.

It may be co-incidence that ash was going to have a bit of a sea change anyway. Somehow I don’t think so.

• 97 lochinvar // Jul 29, 2015 at 11:56 AM

and in a lighter moment, “scratch your eyes you bitch ! ”
    Just as well that Carver and Pardew were far too classy to stoop to such low levels !

Jose Mourinho has accused Real Madrid boss Rafael Benitez of “destroying the best team in Europe” when the Spaniard replaced him at Inter Milan in 2010.
    The Chelsea boss spoke after Benitez’s wife joked her husband was “tidying up” another Mourinho “mess” at Real.
    As well as Real, Benitez also managed Chelsea – although he did not directly replace Mourinho at either club.
    “The lady is a bit confused,” Mourinho, 52, said after Chelsea’s International Champions Cup win over Barcelona.
    “Her husband went to Chelsea to replace Roberto Di Matteo and he went to Real Madrid and replaced Carlo Ancelotti.
    “The only club where her husband replaced me was at Inter Milan, where in six months he destroyed the best team in Europe at the time.
    “If she takes care of her husband’s diet, she will not have any time to talk about me.”

• 98 Blackley and Brownlie // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:01 PM

I’m with you @63.

I don’t buy this idea that the boycotters help get rid of Carver. He didn’t need any help from anyone.

And Ashley’s close flirtation with relegation was the catalyst for him to get his finger out. (It still needs to come out further, a lot further, as Bladeuser is saying.)

• 99 Jib // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:07 PM

What are you wittering on about

“Halfpenny, Biggar, Charteris, Jenkins, Lydiate, Phillips, Priestland, Warburton, Davies, Hibbard are just “average” are they ?”

They were all about 13 years old when Black was with Wales.

• 100 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:10 PM

Taken from the article “How a transfer works – from the scouting to the signing”:

“…Premier League clubs signed on average eight players during last summer’s window.”

We have tied up 2 players maybe three, and Ed believes Charmless deserves credit for his hard work!

• 101 Jib // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:12 PM

The rain comes to Australia’s rescue

• 102 Bobbybee // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:13 PM

Frenchie. Great rejoicing? From somebody who doesn’t even go to games? Sheep? What right do you have to tell us about something we’ve done every week for all our lives? Your arrogance is unbelievable mate. Since the dawn of the PL football has become a business as much as a sport. Most REAL fans couldn’t really care who owns the club, because there’s nothing we can do about it. I bet you don’t have a clue how the club is run. Ashley is the owner, but he’s sneakily seperated himself from the club itself. Common practice apparently, but somehow legal. The money raised by tickets and merchandise etc goes straight into the NUFC account. That money is used for transfers. Ashley has made the club self sufficient and it’s been a painful process reaching that point. All I care about is the eleven black and white shirts representing my club and my city, regardless of who wears it. I suspect your and my grandfathers, who both were obviously pit workers, would still turn up and watch because THAT’S what die hard fans do. Stuff the politics. Stuff Ashley. I love footbal and will never stop going until I die. You don’t go, you’d never understand. You’re like some pompous general, ordering men to fight, whilst standing miles from the front line. You’re not even a fan, so your opinion means zip to me.

• 103 Jib // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:14 PM

jesperfuglsang – capt’n awesome of the lemon crew

We signed 7 last summer
    The window is still open all August

• 104 geordiesteve520 // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:19 PM

Good article on Mitrovic –

• 105 Slank // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:19 PM

We brought in nine players during last summers what is your point ?

Ayoze Pérez
    Jack Colback
    Siem de Jong
    Rémy Cabella
    Emmanuel Rivière
    Daryl Janmaat
    Karl Darlow
    Jamaal Lascelles

Plus loanee Ferreyra

• 106 martoon // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:19 PM

The overrated Frenchman @91
    “Everybody who has renewed a ST is by definition supporting Mike Ashley’s version Newcastle United. You really are not entitled to then be as critic as well”

That has to be one of the most stupid comments I’ve ever seen on here. As far as I’m concerned I buy a season ticket to support NUFC not Mike Ashley and I think my money goes towards staff wages and the general running of the club NOT to Mike Ashley. Just because you are a member of an organisation doesn’t mean you support every aspect of it and you ARE quite entitled to criticise aspects you don’t agree with. Do you think Political Party members support every policy – of course they don’t!

• 107 Jib // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:22 PM

• 108 Jack // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:25 PM

You call him arrogant yet you accuse people who don’t go to games as not fans. What right do you have to call us not real fans because we don’t go to games. Have you not thought about the constraints for some, like me, I’m 17… I live nowhere near Newcastle so I can’t physically get there, but that doesn’t mean I don’t watch every stream and still care about this club, as do the many who don’t go for different reasons.

Some fans don’t go to games because they see the bigger picture with Ashley, they don’t want there money to line his pockets whilst they sit and watch that shower of shjte last season. They want the best for the club by getting rid of him, he really needed to go because the footballing side of the club is miles behind and we can still suffer because of that! Do you honestly think Ashley would have changed his ways if there were no protests last season? He didn’t like it, and he has now given us new found optimism, like most windows. Here you are saying we aren’t real fans yet we are probably the ones that forced this change that you are now enjoying.

• 109 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Slank…that we have only brought in two players!

…thought that was clear???????????????????????

• 110 Slank // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:28 PM

The overrated Frenchman @91

Do the Chelsea supporters support Russia killing Ukrainians and annexing another countries territory because their owner is Russian ?

• 111 Bobbybee // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:28 PM

Rotunda, I can remember single figure support when it was bad. If you were there then, why on earth do you think this is worse? We’re in the top flight – we weren’t then. Even on our worst day now, the football is loads better. The majority of those who were there then, who are still alive, still go now. Our away days to variuos shi*holes was still good and everybody knew each other just from repitition. They all still go – I recognise most of them! Like I say mate, let’s just agree to disagree. Nobody is right or wrong because it’s their personal choice. Being told I’m a sheep by some muppet who’s never been is a bit rich though! Not you, flaming Inspector Clusseau.

• 112 Magpie Season // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Not sure why Clarke batted first.

Shane Warne says: “I always loved a good head.”

I couldn’t stop laughing amid the batting collapse.

• 113 Bambams // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Fella sorry for delay but been to gym.
    van Dijk has everything according to three of my mates who are Celtic fans.
    They also support the Toon and the only comfort according to them is if he signed for us.
    He is a leader and one big unit. Can still improve though.
    Dutch contingent would make it easier for him to settle.
    I would gladly have him alongside Mbemba

• 114 Slank // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:30 PM

I don’t think you under the concept of comparing oranges with oranges.

As Jib quite rightly said ‘The window is still open all August’

• 115 Magpie Season // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:30 PM

I think the link between Valencia players is only based on Ian Cathro’s arrival. Not sure why he would come here.

Although, from being short of centre backs we are having a bit too many; assuming everyone stays.

• 116 Slank // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:32 PM

Magpie Season

‘ I was watching the commentary via an Australian channel & they were talking about tosses.’

Sure that wasn’t tossers !

• 117 Bobbybee // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:38 PM

Jack, I do go. I’ve gone all my life, even when I lived as far away as Nottinham, I still went. I am what is known as a die hard fan and there’s far more of us than boycotters. Do I think those who don’t go have a right to tell me not to go? Do I f#@k! When I was your age and in the army, I used to hitch hike to games ffs. The money raised from Sky helps fund Ashley MORE than loyal fans who turn up week in week out. I’m now disabled following a car crash, and was finding the long drive from my last location – Chesterfield – becoming too much, so I upped sticks and moved back to my native Northumberland purely and simply so I could carry on going. Do I think I’m more of a fan than frenchie? You f#$king bet I do!!!

• 118 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:45 PM

Thanks,mate. I am willing to pay the difference, as long as thats allowed by the club. I might just give them a ring anyway and see what the rules are. Cheers for the advice.

• 119 Jail for Ashley // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:45 PM

Dwuring the war…

• 120 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:45 PM

• 121 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:46 PM

Slank…so you expect us to sign 6 more players in August? or what is your point about oranges and oranges?

• 122 Jack // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:47 PM

Congratulations, you are a die hard supporter. Well done! But your love for the club is exactly the same as many. I couldn’t give a toss how much you have gone, in my eyes I still support the club equally. The games determine my moods for the day and I always do the best I can to watch every livestream. I would love to go to SJP but I just don’t have the funds to do that, which is a huge shame. Yes, he doesn’t have the right to call you out for going to games, but you have no right to say he isn’t a real fan just because he has a different way of supporting the team.

• 123 Tsunki // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:52 PM

To clear this up,

Jeff is Jib check with Belfast, he cornered himself in a run of posts with me.

Ian Toon was using the reverse psychology tactic on Ed after being caught out blatantly and somewhat cringeingly embarrassingly, addressing himself in an exchange with ‘Pushy Pardew’, trying to blame his alter ego for being the worse for wear and somehow forgetting who he was. IF Ed confirmed regulars posting with other names, it’s simply confirming some of the well publicised jokes some, including me, have had by changing to other names. They are not comparable to the furtive creation of multiple concurrent personas used to bully others with their agenda.

Finally, I’m not aware that any of us know each other off the blog in any way. I personally avoid any references that might pinpoint me.

• 124 Jib // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:52 PM

Remember I mentioned NUST members trying to dominate the blog for years
    Here is another one , Jail for Ashley , seeing him having a pop at your age.
    They really should get a life as “die for” said.
    You hit the nail on the head calling them pompous.
    Before you used to post on here they had to be pulled up for taking the piss out of Carvers Geordie accent.
    Posters on an NUFC blog mocking someone for having a Geordie accent , dear god.

• 125 Jack // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:53 PM

Still going on about Ian Toon?

. z Z . z Z . z Z

• 126 Slank // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:54 PM

Are you thick ?

You don’t compare a full transfer window with a transfer window that is open and will remain open for quite a few more weeks in order to draw parallel conclusions.

• 127 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 29, 2015 at 12:58 PM

Slank…if you don’t get my point or cannot do the math (seeing what’s logical here) I am not sure I am the thick one!

…should we have this conversation again in a few weeks?

• 128 Jack // Jul 29, 2015 at 1:01 PM

Didn’t realise how sassy you was Jesper…

• 129 Slank // Jul 29, 2015 at 1:03 PM

I get your point even though it is absurd.

• 130 Tsunki // Jul 29, 2015 at 1:08 PM

Jack – apparently, yes. Because it was brought up yet again and yes you’re right, YAWN.

• 131 Bobbybee // Jul 29, 2015 at 1:09 PM

Well jack, here we are once again at the point where we have to agree to disagree. What my point was – and will always be – is fans who don’t go have absolutely no right demanding loyal fans who do, stop going. And frankly mate, that includes you, like it or not. You’ve said yourself you can’t go, for whatever reason. Does that give you any right to tell me I shouldn’t go. You know, there are levels of support, whether you like it or not. There’s those who give up everything else to go, like drinking, and those who prefer to piss it up the wall and not bother. Are those fans equal in their loyalty? Not in my opinion. I go to U18’s and U21’s as well, to see what’s coming through. I don’t drink or smoke so I can go. Do I think that makes me more committed? Yep. Just like I think John Sweeney was more committed than me. I will never be told by people who don’t go to give up my ST – who do they think they are? It’s my money and I give up a lot so I can go. Like I say, levels of support. They can scream from the sidelines all they want, but they will NEVER stop me going. Without the fans who attend games, there would be no club. Frenchie would rather see the club disolved – his words, not mine. If it was disolved, it wouldn’t affect him one iota. THAT’S why I say he’s not a fan, not because he doesn’t go. He wants the club to die and he would rejoice. You call THAT being a fan? Read his post before trying to lecture me.

• 132 Palmer // Jul 29, 2015 at 1:10 PM

If we sign otamendi you guys can all shag my wife

• 133 Ian Toon // Jul 29, 2015 at 1:12 PM

Tsunki – Are you for real. You used to be such an amusing level headed guy who was worth reading. Now your a whining Wuss who has joined a few as being paranoid. With all due respect you’ve been sucked in to add some credibility. Just remember that Sack Llambias was me, John Irving( who’s books I’ve read) , Pushy P, Carl, Mr Funk was the latest. I am not going approach said names because I am beyond caring.
    I don’t know what occupies your time but this nonsense is not taking up anymore of mine. I have responded now because I have not previously viewed you as a paranoid nutter.
    You’ll be getting a tattoo of Nigel Pearson next. Get a grip your supposed to be the adult here.

• 134 Slank // Jul 29, 2015 at 1:13 PM

Will you be suppling the KY Jelly ?

• 135 check the toastie // Jul 29, 2015 at 1:13 PM

Palmer – have you got a picture before i decide?!!

• 136 Ian Toon // Jul 29, 2015 at 1:16 PM

Jack – I appreciated your support on Sunday but your a new young poster so you would be best off not getting involved. You will be an easy target for the few bullies on here. Just enjoy the football craic and leave the rest alone.

• 137 Slank // Jul 29, 2015 at 1:16 PM

Palmer may only be suppling brown paper bags !

• 138 Jack // Jul 29, 2015 at 1:17 PM

I think your clear anger is putting words into your head for you, please tell me where I said you couldn’t go to games? Exactly! You won’t find any.

Can you honestly tell me that you 100% think that we would be enjoying this change had the protests not taken place? Fans who gave up there ticket after going for a long time because they wanted rid of Ashley because in there view it helps the club are now not real fans? Or less then you? In my eyes they have made a bigger change to the club then you have by being a die hard fan, yet you still question there loyalty?

Lets agree to disagree because we’re boring f**ks!

• 139 Jack // Jul 29, 2015 at 1:20 PM

I have been around on this blog for 3 years mate, I know what they’re like…

• 140 expatmag // Jul 29, 2015 at 1:28 PM

Not a chance. I heard she was Susan Boyle

• 141 Mister Tuff // Jul 29, 2015 at 1:29 PM

Ian Toon – aka Master Multiple – your latest offering is rubbish as usual and displays your duplicity, cunning and trickery and I have to say blatant lies.
    You have just posted :-
    “Get a grip your supposed to be the adult here”.

So say the hypocrite who posted that he knew my neighbour and that I was being prosecuted for interfering with his cat sexually.
    AND you are telling other people to grow up- bit rich and it displays your artiface and shiftiness. Or put it another way you are a lying scumbag.
    You said earlier you had a wierd sense of humour – I would suggest also a wierd sense of how to behave in society.
    You could now take the opportunity to admit you lied about knowing my neighbour and you slur from the gutter.
    Come on admit the truth.

• 142 JAMSHA // Jul 29, 2015 at 1:32 PM

will there b any stream for tonights match?

• 143 Our Toon // Jul 29, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Quick question to the multiple poster know as Jeff/Jib/Jane (others can weigh in if they like)

Jib appeared on the blog after Jeff disappeared, how does jib know about Ian’s email to ED? This all happened pre Jib.

Why does jib reply to questions for Jeff? And the most telling is those who use mobile phones for this site will have Icons on the side of names, colour coating….only Jeff and Jib have the same. Jane I believe is used from another device hence the change in icon.

Wasn’t long ago we had someone abusing all posters under names like Welshies Sheep etc, that person kept coming back with the same icon so we all knew it was the same person with a changed name.

• 144 Dukis22lt // Jul 29, 2015 at 1:35 PM

Does anyone know if tonights game will be streamed? Thanx.

• 145 OneAlanShearer // Jul 29, 2015 at 1:38 PM

“@BBCSport: #QPR defender Steven Caulker will join Southampton on a season-long loan #saintsfc”

Quick someone tell qpr williamson is available or Colo or saylor…swap plus 13.2million?

• 146 Jack // Jul 29, 2015 at 1:39 PM

Reading about all this multiple poster nonsense AGAIN is making me rather tired. These grudges you are all holding are rather pathetic because at the end of the day this blog means jack shjt (lol) to your daily lives yet it seems you all take it very personal. But who am I to tell all you what you should be putting because its not up to me, I get it!

• 147 Bobbybee // Jul 29, 2015 at 1:43 PM

Jack, please go back and read the frenchies post. He says that he would rejoice if the club went out of existence. And yes, I do think 100% that this change of heart by Ashley had nothing to do with the protesters. Has he ever given a toss what we think? I’ve been on anti Ashley protests and there’s only been a few hundred there, not enough to hurt him. Everyone has their own way of doing things, I just refuse to give up doing something I truly love with a passion, because of who owns the club. I’m not interested in politics, only football. We’ve been in far worse condition than this in my lifetime, but that didn’t stop me, why should this. The problem is, the boycotters – who can do whatever they think is right – think they have the monopoly on being right. I think I’m right. It’s down to opinion. But I draw the line at wanting to see my beloved NUFC go out of business, from someone who it wouldn’t affect one little bit. That’s lunacy mate! Do you want that? I bet you don’t. And yes, you’re right, I do get angry and let my mouth run, but in such circumstances as some clown wanting my – and your – club to go under, I can’t help myself. Is that what you want? I can’t believe for one second it is. Going to games is an addiction, as you’ll discover when you can get there. NUFC dominate my life and my missus ain’t too impressed by it. But it was how I was when she met me, so hey, what can I say 🙂 I don’t think fans who can’t go are any less fans, that was just me being wound up. But wanting the club to die? Come on mate! What would you watch then? Go back, read what he said, and then tell me i was wrong to say he’s not a real fan. I’ll still be here when you have. I suspect you may change your opidnion.

• 148 dok - the horrid colonial // Jul 29, 2015 at 2:42 PM