Newcastle Keep Bidding – But Another Offer Turned Down

There is a report in French publication RMC that says Newcastle have made another bid for long term target Florian Thauvin, but that the bid has been turned down by Marseilles, so if the news is true then Newcastle are continuing to try to add new players to the squad.

The report suggests Newcastle bid around €17M for the Frenchman, which is around £12M – and that’s a very decent bid for the 22 year-old French winger.

florian thauvin

Florian Thauvin – Newcastle bid rejected

He signed on at Marseilles for a reported €15M back in the summer of 2013, and that’s about £10.5M, so Marseilles would be making a profit on the player.

It seems like Newcastle would still like to bring in a couple of midfielders this summer, and Thauvin is an obvious target and Graham Carr has been tacking the youngster ever since he was at Bastia and before he signed for Lille in January, 2013.

He never actually played for Lille, since he was allowed to stay at Bastia on loan until the end of that season, and then he joined Marseilles that summer, and let’s just say the Lille fans were not too happy about that.

Lille were tempted to do the deal because they paid only €3.5M for him in January from Bastia, and got €15M for him in early September from Marseilles, a cool profit of €11.5M (£8M) in about seven months.

Newcastle were reported to be interested in signing the player on January, 2013.

Past reports this summer have said Marseilles don’t want to sell because they have already lost three good players this summer in Andre Ayew (Swansea),  Andre-Pierre Gignac (Tigres UANL – Mexico) and Dimitri Payet (West Ham).

There were reports yesterday – that we reported – that Newcastle have also had a bid turned down by AC Milan for 20 year-old French forward M’baye Niang, but there was indication of how much we bid for the youngster.

So Newcastle are still making the bids to try to strengthen the squad.

• catchy in norway

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:37 PM

check

I think Arma could be a decent player, along with Vuckic, Harris has just been unlucky on 2 fronts , injuries and p45 not know how to develop players, Adam also falls into the P45 category.

from what I have seen in Adam is a busy type of player who likes to shoot, he works hard for the team.

Harris for me is quality all round, but people are judging him on poor performances in a team that was not playing well and playing out of position,

Harris’s big game for us was vs Liverpool, and he fluffed it, P45 expected him to do it all by himself :(,

give them a quality coach and time , they will both do well

• JackButler

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:38 PM

12 million for a player voted in the worse 11 in France last season.

Last thing we need is another light weight

• Jib

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:38 PM

I see Adam Armstrong’s loan agreement has a 24 hour recall clause in it , very wise.

• Belfast

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:39 PM

Stay away from this one. Looks massively overrated from what I saw of him last season.

• Shadow_Shearer

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:40 PM

I doubt very much we have even bidded for this guy. Just more paper talk to make story for money. If there was another player we bidded for, it would have been a central defender.

• Malackay

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:40 PM

Not seen enough of him to comment, but he seems to be our “boards” winger of choice. I understand he had a poor season last year but has a load of potential?

I imagine if he arrives it would spell the end for two of Marveaux, Obertan, Cabella or Aarons. I know which of those two I’d prefer to leave.

I wonder who is deemed our current set piece “specialist”? Seem’s to be SDJ or Colback judging from friendlies.

• Tsunki

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:42 PM

Ashley Out!

• Belfast

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:42 PM

What’s the point in that Jib ? He should be staying where he is for the whole season. Currently not good enough for the premier league.

• doofa the loofa

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:43 PM

Well this is a first.. newcastle turning down their own bids!! Craziness indeed.. keep up the good work ed.. 😉

• WWSBRD

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:44 PM

I think he will end up signing for us

This will be the 5/6th time we have bid for him? Someone is telling us he wants to join us

• JackButler

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:44 PM

Belfast

24 hour call back to sit on the bench in case of emergencies

• doofa the loofa

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:45 PM

Bully bloggers out..
    trans multi bloggers out..
    bolting that horse on in..
    happy days 🙂

• ToonFromLeeds

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:48 PM

I like the new Magpies shirt but cannot buy it as they don’t sell my size 🙁

• Malackay

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:48 PM

WWSBRD – I agree, I think we will see him come (reluctantly) through the door in the next week or so. I also think it will involve some sort of player in return (perhaps Cabella on loan).

£14m + Cabella on Season Long Loan w/ option to buy.

We still need defenders desperately. I’d take Chirchres from Spurs, looks surplus to requirements there.

• Shadow_Shearer

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:49 PM

Ashleys wallet – IN
    Fat man himself – OUT

• ToonFromLeeds

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:49 PM

has the Matip link gone cold?

• Klam3r

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:50 PM

For me peronaly this window is all about stability. We can’t go from total chaos to harmony and top 6-8.

I think our recruitment has been very clever this summer although I dream about 2-3 more. Quality over quantity though!

In december all I wanted was Pardew gone and a new attack minded head coach in with a new coaching staff, as I thought that was our biggest problem(besides Ashley ofc). The transition was poorly conducted by Charnley/Ashley but 6 months later it looks pretty good. The foundation is in place for our players to excel. Some will and some won’t.

The next step will be in the next couple of windows. Personaly this season is all about getting back the joy watching Newcastle United. Watch real football(read attacking) played by a group of motivated players.

I’m cautiously optimistic and I’m looking forward to see what McClaren can produce this season. If done right it will be easier to attract the right kind of players to push us further up the table and make us proud again.

• Belfast

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:50 PM

If he can’t cut it in league one it’s best to cut him loose. He shouldn’t have been anywhere near the team last season.

His little cameos under Carver where he barely touched the ball was absolutely pointless.

• WWSBRD

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:51 PM

Mala
    Oh I don’t think it’ll be this window. Certainly don’t think we would give a player in exchange for him…that idea is more an idea stuck on blogs very rarely actually happens

He might end up here this summer but I won’t be expecting it. I can see Cabella proving himself this season would be a terrible shame to give up on a real talent so soon

• Jib

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:53 PM

Marseilles have actually sold 4 not 3 . the fourth was a Centre back I was praying we would get.
    I could just see the away fans having a field day chanting for a player called Fanni.

• hibbit

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:58 PM

arma needs to play week in week out not 10 mins here and there the kids is a good player not ready for the prem if he gets games he will come back a better player for us biggi is another one who should be out on loan playing football getting himself back playing and his confidence back after major health problems

• Malackay

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:59 PM

WWSBRD – I disagree, I think he will arrive this window, although he seems reluctant to move judging from a few of his quotes.

You’re not wrong about swap deals with transfers, but rarely makes as much sense as in this situation. With it being the Euro’s next summer, he (Cabella) will want to be playing consistently which I think is unlikely if Thauvin were to sign. Cabella has a quality reputation in France and OM are in deep need for reinforcements to compete and appease their fans. I think Cabella going to other way on loan would curb OM fans’ outrage somewhat…… all just speculation of course.

I don’t dislike Cabella but equally I don’t see where he fits into our team. At the moment I’d be inclined to start both Perez & Aarons ahead of him.

• ToonAndy

Jul 29, 2015 at 4:59 PM

Thauvin, a poor mans Ben Arfa… Can’t understand this… Shaqiri is up for the same price tag…

• WWSBRD

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:09 PM

Mala
    By the same circumstances mate if he came here no guarantee he would be starting games

I’d be playing Cabella in the starting 11 depending on the set up, Christmas tree beside de Jong or behind the striker or inside forward on the right but we will see mate

• JackButler

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:12 PM

Shaqiri would be the better choice, Thauvin isn’t what we need in terms of physical presence or attitude and after the way he has performed the past 18 months the asking price is bloody laughable to be honest

• Dukis22lt

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:14 PM

will tonights game be streamed? Thanx

• WWSBRD

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:17 PM

Maybe Shaqiri has said he has no intention of signing for us under any circumstances ?

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:19 PM

I don’t know what management can see that we can’t in regards toour defence.

• JackButler

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:22 PM

WWSBRD

Be a shame if we couldn’t get Shaqiri, but i honestly hope this Thauvin link doesn’t happen, the lads been very poor the past 18 months and is not what we need right now.

Don’t know if I’ve mentioned this before, but we need defenders ?

• Jib

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:23 PM

Dukis
    This one is advertising highlights AND livestream but be warned there are a lot of fakes about

• kilcline

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:24 PM

I would imagine shaqiris wage would be the problem not the fee, shame, he is a class above.

Good rest of the window for me would be:

– Swap Williamson and 3m for bryam
    – Get Mbemba confirmed
    – Sell Colo
    – Sign rudiger or matip
    – Sign Austin although still believe he doesn’t want to move up north!
    – Swap Cabella and 7m for Thauvin who I think would come alive in the Orem league
    – Tie Arrons and Kemen up to 5 year deals
    – TFL gets a shirt that fits

Would rather a Bellamy type striker than Austin but don’t think much out there.

• ToonFromLeeds

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:25 PM

Woodman gone to crawley on loan

• bladeuser

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:27 PM

ASHLEY OUT
    WILLO OUT
    COLO OUT
    SAYLOR OUT
    GOFFY OUT
    OBERTAN OUT

• mindshaft

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:29 PM

@malackey: Chireches has joined Napoli for around 4.4 million – spurs fans seem quite happy about it

• WWSBRD

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:30 PM

JB
    I’ve not seen either of them enough to comment on whether I’d be upset on them joining mate but FL has been linked with us for a long time and it doesn’t go away Carr must really rate him

Defender links are a bit rare aren’t they, I think we need to shift players out before the club are willing to look at bringing more in

• JackButler

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:30 PM

Kilcline

Shaqiri seems to have three options so far and they are Everton, Shalke and us if the reports are to be believed and if that is the case I can’t see either Everton or Shalke paying massive wages to the lad. I’m more inclined to believe that he has never been a target for us, just one more player who can be added to the fans wish list of signings

• remember69

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:31 PM

Ashley IN!!!!! 🙂

• the broons

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:31 PM

Are people aware gourcouff is available on a free? Surprised we haven’t been linked although a combination of his high wages and injury record are probably enough to put off.

• Noel Worst

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:34 PM

Don’t understand Carr’s fascination with this one. Shite player and big fee, almost a certain flop. Please move on.