Newcastle have just released some facts about their new signing Chancel Mbemba, and the first fact about him is that he was born in Kinshasa, the capital city of the Democratic Republic of Congo, on 8th August, 1994.
So that makes him 20 years old and due to turn 21 in 10 days time – and that’s his official age unless we hear something different from FIFA who are making an inquiry into his age.
As we all know, there has been some controversy about his age, after as many as four birth dates given in the past.
Chancel Mbemba – turns 21 next month
Here is some other facts about our new player:
- He is from a family of nine and his mother, Antoinette, represented DR Congo at basketball
- Chancel played as a youth for ES La Grace, Mputu and MK Etancheite in DR Congo before signing on at Anderlecht in 2011
- Mbemba made his Anderlecht debut 28th July 2013 in their opening match of the 2013–2014 Belgian Pro League season, a 2–3 defeat to Lokeren
- He made his debut for DR Congo three years ago and he so far has 17 caps for his country
- The center-back has played 76 times in total for Anderlecht with 9 goals and 2 assists
- Chancel stands just a little less than 6ft tall but is very good header of the ball
- He is a qualified electrician and plans to become a professional electrician after his footballing career ends (in 2030 while still at Newcastle and said to be 35)
There’s not much more we can find out about the lad, but he will probably be introduced to the crowd at the game on saturday against Borussia Monchengladbach.
He is one of four players we reported last night were close to signing for Newcastle.
One of those was 19 year-old Ivan Toney of Northampton Town, who is reported having a medical at Newcastle today.
The other two are Charlie Austin of QPR and Florian Thauvin of Marseilles, and we assume Lee Charnley and company are working hard to get those two excellent players over the line.
If we can indeed get those two players through the door, they will cost around £28M between them, which would take our spending to around £63M so far this summer.
A good start.
But we all know we need another top center-back brought in.