The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren – This Player Still Plays A Vital Role

10:12 am, Thursday, July 30th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 252 Comments

Newcastle captain Fabricio Coloccini has yet to play in pre-season, but Steve McClaren thinks the center-back is close to full fitness, and he has had a little niggle that has kept him out of all the games so far this summer.

McClaren is impressed with Colo’s professionalism and form in training, and the Argentine was at the game last night at York as he watched from the stands.

fab coloccini looking glum

Fabricio Coloccini – injured so far this summer

The head coach will be hoping the captain will be available for our last pre-season game against Borussia Monchengladbach at home on Saturday afternoon.

If the 39 times capped Argentine Intentional can play some part in that game, he could well start the next weekend in our first league game at home to Southampton.

Mbemba will not be ready by then, and the next best choices are Steven Taylor and Mike Williamson.

This is what Steve McClaren has said about Colo today:

“We want to see him out on the field and we have to get to that situation very soon.¨

“I’ve come in, he’s done very well in training, he’s got a little niggle but we want to see him playing, because he’s the captain and he plays a vital role.”

Newcastle fielded Lubo Satka and Jamaal Lascelles at center-back last night, but it’s clear both youngsters are not ready for the first team yet.

Alan Pardew is said to want Coloccini at Crystal Palace, but we hope Newcastle keep Colo this season.

With his vast experience he can still do a job for Newcastle, even if it means he will become a free agent next summer when his contract runs out.

It’s better to have him available for next season, than to take the £3M we could probably get him for him this summer.

The club should have learned from last season that money in the bank doesn’t help the team on the field.

What do you think?

Tags: Fabricio Coloccini · Friendlies · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Premier League

252 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Expat

If I throw enough names out there I’ll get one right eventually
    Ha ha ha

BTW it is still gloomy at Edgbaston so your bowlers should get plenty of movement

• 2 beefman13 // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Colo is too slow, hopes at defending crosses and corners, decent on the ball, but Howay man, we have all surely had our fill of the bloke, back up?? Just about, but that’s it, sod of back to san lorenzo mate.

• 3 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:18 AM

When Keegan played with wing backs in the good old days, Barry Venison used to be the middle, more advanced CB,and would assault anyone who looked like getting passed him, while still having 2 CBs to cover if he missed. Does anyone think Colo could still have a role here doing that? Covering the back four, where his lack of pace is not so important?

• 4 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:19 AM

Past*

• 5 Graeme // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:19 AM

We have been waiting for the “Real” collo to reappear for the last 3 seasons. I dont think we will ever see it.
    We need a quality CB to pair with Chancer, keep either Saylor or Williams with Dummet as the back ups. If we start our season with the same defence as last 2 seasons, with only the addition of Chancer, we are in trouble before we even start!!!

• 6 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:20 AM

@nufc just posted official away kit

• 7 jayphoto // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:20 AM

@Magpie Season – Darlow will probably be the number 2? Think Krul has long needed a bit of competition so its good he’s going to be around. Hes also played over a 100 championship games so not sure anymore loans will benefit him! TK rarely gets through a season playing all the games, if Darlow can notch 12-15 games here next season, maybe do the cup games it might benefit him more

• 8 Jib // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:21 AM

YouCouldn’tMakeItUp

Colo certainly seems to have the eye for spotting stuff early on.

• 9 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:22 AM

Still means we have to sign another CB on top of mbemba, of course, but it would mean not having to buy a DMF, which many think we need.

• 10 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:22 AM

Repost: Looks like Woodman snr is gonna go

• 11 Magpie Season // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:23 AM

jay,

Really? Hmm. Unfair to Elliot then because whenever he played he performed well. That cup match against Manchester City being one I remember.

• 12 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:23 AM

actually according to that article it says Woodman has already gone

• 13 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:24 AM

Jib

Yeah his eye for the game is fine, but i dont think his body lets him keep up with the demands of CB. Also, if he is to remain captain, DMF is an ideal position to run the game from,imo.

• 14 jayphoto // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:24 AM

I think Colo still has a role to play. If we play possession football higher up the field like McClaren seems to be pushing for then he far suited to that than any other CB we have (not counting mbemba)
    Sad fact is, (again not counting Mbemba) is the best centreback we have. Lascelles is young and has potential but unless we’re going to sell Taylor/willo first and bring in 3 more CB (which we’re not) then for me it makes sense to keep him for his last season. Should replace the worst players in each position first

• 15 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:24 AM

Does that mean we will get Eric Steele?

• 16 Jib // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:26 AM

YouCouldn’tMakeItUp
    Yeah it could work out , esp with someone as energetic as Wijnaldum to be an outlet for him.

• 17 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:26 AM

Jan–Mbemba–NewCB–had
    ———-Colo
    —sdj——–gini

Front—-line—-tba

• 18 richyg01 // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:31 AM

Anyone else think £7M for Joel Campbell is worth a punt rather than £15M for Austin? Would leave £8M in the kitty for Van Dyjk

• 19 Slank // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:33 AM

Jay (from previous posting)

From what I have seen of Van Dijk he looks very stylish somewhat reminiscent of the great Beckenbauer.

However, I watched Vuckic play for Rangers and he looked world class compared with all the other players from Rangers.

With Jean-Alain Boumsong in my mind I’m wondering whether the slightly above average player in Scotland becomes the slightly below average player in the Premiership.

• 20 Jib // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:36 AM

To be fair
    Celtic are currently light years ahead of Rangers

• 21 hibbit // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:36 AM

ycmiu …… more likely with colo play in there you would end up with colo 3 in the middle and 2 up front maybe that’s why they want austin so badly

• 22 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Hibit

Yeah that would make sense. At least it means the formation is versatile. We would have a plan B for once.

• 23 jayphoto // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:40 AM

@magpie season – Thing with Elliot is he’s zero chance of getting any better. heard he doesn’t take conditioning and diet very seriously (can see this in his weight) and as such gets injured a lot! Always thought Elliot’s strength was his bravery, Hes a good 3rd choice but for me never has a shot at being good enough to be first choice whereas Darlow has the potential to be a premier league keeper.

• 24 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:41 AM

Dont know where the second ‘b’ went

• 25 Slank // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:44 AM

Jib @ 20

That is true but the overall quality of opposition that Celtic have to face each season is probably nearer to our League 1 than our Premiership.

However, sometimes players rise to the occasion when migrating to higher level. Van Dijk may be one of them.

Perez is probably the best example. Van Dijk is probably worth a punt. Certainly better than not having anyone else coming in.

• 26 jayphoto // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:44 AM

@Slank – weird thing about Boumsong was he did very well in france, well in Italy and even well in the champions league. No idea what happened to him in England, was abysmal but his overall career he was a very good centreback.
    He was decent in his first season for us, just the following one he was dreadful.
    Wiki claims his girlfriend was seriously ill at that time and he had big personal problems… some players just aren’t suited to some clubs I think

• 27 Malackay // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:44 AM

I don’t think Colo has the legs for that DM role anymore. If you look at the amount of ground a Colback/Tiote/Anita cover in that position, it’s significant. To be honest not sure on who my first 11 would be at the minute, I’d lean toward

Krul

Janmaat Mbemba Colo Haidara

Colback Wijnaldum

Sissoko SDJ Perez

Mitrovic

But you easily make a case for Tiote, Anita, Aarons, Cabella and Cisse to be in there. I think we are just really lacking another CB (in addition to CM) and a Left Back as I think Haidara is suspect defensively.

• 28 hibbit // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:46 AM

ycmip,,,,,that’s happened with my user name somehow a T has vanish off the end there should be a double T

• 29 ROSHAN MAGPIE // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:46 AM

looks like we are not the only team struggling in pre season

• 30 jayphoto // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:46 AM

Got a few mates that are celtic fans. They reckon Van Dijk is there best and strongest player in every single position.
    To be fair he didn’t look out of place in their champions league group stages. Don’t think he’s played for Holland yet?

• 31 WLtoon // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:50 AM

@19 slank

I would look good in the scot prem and im 50 lol
    I think Van Dyke would struggle in our PL,its at least 2 steps up from what he,s used to,in every way.
    We dont seem have much money left in the kitty so i suppose he,s the one CB mentioned that we could possibly afford.

• 32 Slank // Jul 30, 2015 at 10:53 AM

jayphoto @ 26

The Jon Dahl Tomasson curse !

• 33 Rotonda heights // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:00 AM

if colo stays he should play as a sweeper in a 343.
    Probably still do a job there.

sweeper behind 2 x CBs, 2 x Wing backs, 2 x hard working midfield players and a fluent front 3

• 34 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:00 AM

This blog is shjt harrumph!!

• 35 Slank // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:01 AM

Malackay @ 27

For the Southampton game I’m not too sure that Mbemba will be fully fit but McClaren may assess that a not fully fit Mbemba is better than a fully fit Saylor.

As much as I like Perez I would play Aarons instead. The rest of the team picks itself.

Krul

Janmaat Mbemba Colo Haidara

Colback Wijnaldum

Sissoko SDJ Aarons

Mitrovic

• 36 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:03 AM

So any news on how long Aarons is out for?

• 37 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:04 AM

I think Colo could be useful, but needs the right players around him. A bit like Demichelis maybe. He’s has experience and skill. You can’t say that about any of our other CB options. But he does need a big strong player beside him at the centre of the defence. I know nothing about Mbemba as a player really, but he has no height, which would be a major issue if it were to be him and Colo together. Taylor and Williamson are basically useless as we know, and Lascelles looks like an average Championship player, no better. So, I’d keep Colo on the proviso that we brought in a suitable player to partner him. As it stands, even with Mbemba coming in, our centre of defence is a disaster waiting to happen.

• 38 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Let’s not rewrite Boumsong’s history! He did well in a poor French, Greek and Scottish leagues, plus okay in Serie B. Wasn’t considered good enough for Serie A, and poor in the Prem.

• 39 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:06 AM

That away kit is rank

• 40 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Your opinion is rank

• 41 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:06 AM

WWSBRD
    It was just cramp he’ll be fine

• 42 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:07 AM

That was a poor wicket for England to lose

• 43 jayphoto // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:08 AM

Aarons is injured again?

• 44 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:09 AM

scratch that make that 2 poor wickets

• 45 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Newcastle United blog, talks about cricket. You’re having a larf!

• 46 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Colo is getting old, slowing, not commanding and not a leader. He is still the best we have on the books before confirmation of Mbemba.

• 47 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:09 AM

JayPhoto
    No he limped off last night with cramp

• 48 Malackay // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Slank,

I’m not banking on Aarons being fit. Plus I think more often than not, when Ayoze plays he is our best player. I think I’d rather drop Sissoko before him. I’m a big fan of SDJ in that 10 position so he’s a perquisite for me.

I hope Mbemba is fit. He is (apparently) 20 and very athletic, shouldn’t take long for him to get up to fitness. I believe he is training with us at the minute? Although I’m not keen to throw him in if he isn’t ready as it could potentially ruin him.

I mentioned a few weeks back, I’d go for someone along the lines of Jonny Evans, Ron Vlaar, Ashley Williams, someone who is older, a leader with plenty of premiership experience and who has a good 3 years at the top level left in him.

• 49 jayphoto // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:12 AM

@TFL – ah that’s good! I’ve got him pegged down as Kieron Dyer incarnate to be honest!
    Anyone go to the match last night? I know it was largely a second team but were there signs that we were trying to play a different way? No fussed with the result as its a friendly but the stats looked encouraging!

• 50 smoke beer, drink tabs // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:15 AM

I think we are desperate for a centre half. We cannot go into the season the way we are at the minute defensively. We are pinning our hopes on a 20 year old from Belgium at the back. What happens if he gets injured? We are left with the dross we had from last season and that’s not good enough

• 51 Slank // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:17 AM

Malackay @ 48

I agree that a Premiership experienced centre back would be preferable who is a leader. I saw on Sky that Swansea have slapped a £25m price tag on captain Ashley Williams to fend off interest from Premier League rivals Crystal Palace. He is good but not £25m good.

• 52 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:17 AM

I think Ashley has proved a lot of people on here wrong, good on him. Stabilises the club so that we can now invest more money was a good plan, looks like its paying off.

• 53 cestriasteve // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:17 AM

Jayphoto, your a fantastic contributor on football but I’m sorry to say I disagree on my chosen 1st sport. 2nd Johnson to Strokes was a belter of a ball. When it’s coming at you at near 90mph your reaction time needs to be bang on, his first 2 deliveries of that over were 1 that swung and one that pitched on off stump. Brilliant over.

• 54 cestriasteve // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Sorry Jay I got the wrong blogger!! Lol.

• 55 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:21 AM

I think you meant me Cestria lol
    No denying that they were belting balls but they should have ducked like root did rather than have your hands in the air for the ball to hit

• 56 jayphoto // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:21 AM

Malackay – Ashley Williams be a fantastic signing. Highest pass completion rate of any defender in the premier league last year. Highest attempted passes of any centreback too. Very strong in the air on top of that, fairly quick, English too. Think he’s 31 though? No way the board here would sanction what Swansea would want for him

• 57 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Ashley Williams is like 5ft10.

What a bad idea…

• 58 Malackay // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:24 AM

Agree, wouldn’t touch him for £25m. I’d be talking between £10m given he is 30 years old.

Isn’t Vlaar on a free though having not signed a new contract at Villa? I think Utd would also listen for offeres for Evans given he seems to prefer Rojo, Smalling, Jones to him and he seems to be looking to bring in another. He might not have the prem experience but would also take a look at Chirches from Spurs.

I’d also just go any buy Santon back from Inter for whatever we sold him for. They don’t need him and we do. He seemed fairly reluctant to leave and his Mrs is from Newcastle I believe.

• 59 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:24 AM

Jayphoto
    I agree Williams would be a fantastic signing but at his age there is no way Mashers would sanction any bid

• 60 Malackay // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:24 AM

Haha Jack’s going fishing……. good luck.

• 61 cestriasteve // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:25 AM

TFL, I’ve faced 80 to 85 mph but any more than that from a left arm slinger like Johnson I honestly doubt wherher our man Stokes even saw it.

If your ever in Durham for a DCCC game go and ask if you can set the bowling machine at 90, it’s amazing how anybody sees it!! Honest.

• 62 jayphoto // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:25 AM

@cestriasteve – no probs, was confused. I know nothing about cricket

• 63 jayphoto // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:26 AM

Think Vlaars injured till jan? needs an op!

• 64 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:26 AM

Vlaar is injured until the new year
    Chiriches is going to Napoli
    Evans would be good

• 65 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:29 AM

Cestria
    When I was younger I was more of a spin bowler myself and couldn’t bat for toffee lol
    I suppose I was more annoyed at England losing 2 quick wickets after how brilliant England were yesterday.

• 66 Jib // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:30 AM

Buttler just needs to stay put
    The last thing we need is for Root to run out of partners

• 67 cestriasteve // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:31 AM

Jayphoto, on football if you had 13-15 million to spend on a player for the toon, which player would it be?

• 68 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:32 AM

Malackay

Not at all, just don’t agree with the Williams idea. We already lack height!

• 69 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:33 AM

Jack@57 – great minds think alike! We need a 5’10” centre back like a hole in the head. Next thing you know some idiot is going to reference Fabio Cannavaro, to try to make the point that size doesn’t matter!!!!

• 70 jayphoto // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:36 AM

@Cestriasteve – Probably Thauvin to be honest. Think he’s a classy player though probably not what we need currently.Think Stefan De Vrij would be a top signing for us!

• 71 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Height doesn’t guarantee you a good defender.
    Mike Williamson is 6ft 4 and he’s rubbish.
    Good shorter defenders know hoe to jump!

• 72 Malackay // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:38 AM

Ah ok, just assumed your were from your last two posts.

He is 6ft, good (not exceptional) in the air (I’d estimate he wins c.60% or aerial duals, had 2nd most clearances and interceptions in premiership last season. He also has top leadership and organisational qualities. He would be a huge improvement on our current CB’s

• 73 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:39 AM

TFL
    Ah was it just cramp? Result for him

• 74 beermonkey // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:39 AM

jayphoto

thought you would have at least picked a centre back

• 75 jayphoto // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:40 AM

Referencing Cannavaro always annoys me because I’m pretty sure he played a lot of his football alongside 6″2 nesta and 6″5 Materazzi, You definitely need a bit of height in the back. To be honest I thought Ashley Williams was 6″2. Hes 182cm so that’s about 6ft. Exact same height as Mbemba, I doubt many strikers will outjump Mbemba though! Whereas Williamson is 6″4, pretty sure I’ve seen him lose aerial duals to players of 5″7/8

• 76 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:40 AM

TFL

I’m glad you somehow managed to twist what I said, we need someone who is tall AND GOOD to partner Mbemba who is only 6ft.

Williamson is dire but partnered with someone like Mbemba who is really quick he might not be as bad, since Mbemba can cover for Williamson’s lack of pace.

• 77 SuperShearer // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:42 AM

Forget about the height of a defender. Cannavaro or Williams? No brainer.

• 78 Rotonda heights // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:46 AM

what an anticlimax i was really looking forward to bairstow and stokes. the pitch looks almost unplayable at the moment

• 79 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Rotonda
    Me too, hope Bairstow has a better 2nd innings
    Root and Buttler seem to be coping well though

• 80 jayphoto // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:48 AM

@beermonkey – De Vrij is a centreback! I know we need one. Just for me Thauvin would be a dream signing. Really sublime player! Been a while since we’ve had a wide player that can get people off their feet.

• 81 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:48 AM

Jack@52. To be fair, I think Ashley has been lucky. He has presided over one relegation, and then barely escaped another couple of times. That can’t be good management at the end of the day, regardless of the balance sheet. The big TV money has bailed out his flawed model (for the time being) in my opinion, but ultimately it is destined to fail because it is basically unsound.

• 82 jayphoto // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:51 AM

Fitz Hall is on a free 😉
    Scored a hattrick on his debut in sunday league apparently so can get amongst the goals.

• 83 Jib // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:51 AM

According to this Italian site Newcastle are sniffing around Benfica’s Serbian midfielder Filip Djuricic who was out on loan to Mainz and Southampton last season.
    This can surely only be a loan deal as Benfica slipped a $40 million buy out clause in his contract after paying 6 million for him.

• 84 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:52 AM

This Jack character seems the rather hostile sort

• 85 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:56 AM

WWSBRD
    Jack was formerly YoungMagpieFromBurnley and IrishGeordie9 and seems intent on trying to lure people into arguments, me being one at the moment but I’m determined not to bite

• 86 beermonkey // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:56 AM

jayphoto

haha I know what you mean
    McLaren has mentioned 3 windows not sure if that 3 summer windows or 3 consecutive windows

top priority has to be the back line first as we leak goals
    I think with Aarons looking good and sdj and wijnaldum and mitovic we have enough going forward till the next summer window

• 87 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:56 AM

ah bugger Root gone now!

• 88 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:57 AM

Jayphoto@75. Exactly right. All the great “smaller” centre backs played their best football with a big lad beside them, both for club and country. Bobby Moore and Bob Moncur are two of the best central defenders I’ve ever seen in their own right, but would you have ever played them together? Not bloody likely,

• 89 Jib // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:59 AM

WWSBRD
    Jack is
    younggeordiefromburnley
    or whatever he was called
    He’s got the hump because one of the bully boys pounced on him using some bad language and got him banned.

• 90 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:01 PM

A hump? I’m perfectly fine mate. I wasn’t banned I was moderated but it forced me to change my name :/

I’m not trying to make you bite TFL, I just think half the stuff you are saying is ridiculous.

• 91 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:02 PM

TFL@77 – I’ve said the same myself late on a Saturday night. Maybe that only makes sense to Aussie posters…

• 92 geordielad880 // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:03 PM

collocini used to play as a holding midfielder quite often at deportivo, i have always said i think the position would suit him late in his career

————————Krul

Janmaat——mbemba—s.taylor——dummett

————————colo
    ————sissoko———–de jong
    wijnaldum———————————-aarons
    ———————-mitrovic
    —-

• 93 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:06 PM

TFL/Jib
    Hes the Burnley kid? Well darn it I thought he seemed a likable chap

• 94 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:07 PM

Its decided I am no longer talking to new users, minimum of 3 months service before I can consider responding

• 95 Rotonda heights // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:08 PM

tfl

spoke too soon!

• 96 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:08 PM

Has there been any indication from any source of when we can expect some information on the Mbemba deal?

• 97 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:09 PM

It’s funny because I’m not a new user. I have been around a long time..

• 98 south coast toon // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:13 PM

i think its funny we were mid table at christmas, it was caever taking over that put us on a poor run and injuries and saling players and cisse the only goalscorer missing
    with the additions and a few more we should finish mid table we have 2 good goal scorers in cisse and mitrovic if we add austin as well we have no problems there we have pereze in hie second season and improving all the time,
    we have arrons whos a real prospect for this season, we got a cb that looks great coming in possibly another, plus widjis goalscoring and seim dejong
    and above all we have alot better manager than we had from chrimbo last year .
    im looking forward thinking mid table as everyone at the club will be more posotive and up for it.
    the main reason im optomistic is ashley has brought expensive players that will improve the team yes we need more but that takes time we dont want to be stuck with anymore riveris or marvs and obertons we want the quality that we have been bringing in
    the change to the coaching staff and new additions should give us 10 more goals at least and defo stop 5 more going in
    lets face it the reason we were nearlly relogated was carver its as simple as that hes replaced by a manager who commands more respect and is defo alot more tactically aware that should give us at leaset 9 more points so by my reconing we could be top at chrimbo

• 99 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:14 PM

Am I the only one looking forward to this season? Think we have top 8 nailed on personally.

• 100 jayphoto // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:17 PM

Didn’t Sheff Wed just have a work permit turned down? for a Jamaican player with over 70 caps and had already played 3 years in England?
    I’m guessing with Mbemba they’ll take into account his cost and his champions league experience as being an extraordinary candidate in his vocation? Be a shocker if they turned it down though something tells me they may turn down the initial request and it’ll be granted on appeal? could take weeks….

• 101 south coast toon // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:21 PM

i am jack evets just to mac with an umbrella nothing can be as bad as the second half of the season again
    no more pardew interviews
    and defo no more carver crp
    and i hear the ball boy who won us the game against chelsea has been training the rest of the boys with allsorts of tatics to delay games thats another 9 points

• 102 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:22 PM

Jack
    How long have u been on the blog for then?

• 103 jayphoto // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:23 PM

new away kit out today! Actually quite like it! Think all 3 of our kit designs are decent this year. Not buying one because I refuse to wear Wonga across my chest but not a bad offering on the design front considering most (not all) teams have shocking kits this season

• 104 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:24 PM

And I talk crap hahaha
    With the defence how it is we will be very lucky to finish top half, if we get injuries we will struggle.

• 105 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:25 PM

if we get another cb along side Mbemba, a right winger and a forward then I think we are in business

• 106 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:29 PM

WWS

For about 3 years I believe, Might be wrong though.

TFL

Well it would be good if I cared about your opinion, is having optimism talking cr*p? Sorry that I can see a change in the way we are being run and being slightly optimistic. The target is top 8 so that is what I expect, are the board speaking a load of tosh aswell?

• 107 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:31 PM

Jack
    And u were IrishMagpie9 previous to YoungMagpieFromBurnley?

• 108 jayphoto // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:31 PM

genuinely hoping to see improvements from Sissoko, Anita and Cabella next year. Possibly from Riviere too. The attributes are there in all to be successful premier league players. (Rivi is a wide of a front 3 man though not a central striker). If the Anita that turned up against west ham could turn up more I’d be happy.
    A fit tiote Is a plus. Not sure if people remember but he actually played really well when he was captain last year. His form coincided with a run of victories.
    Same applies to Taylor, a run of games and hes usually a very good defender, just needs to stay clear of injuries!
    Haidara should kick on. Think him and Dummett will provide healthy competition to each other, both at an age where coaching can bring them on ten fold.
    Gini looks like a superstar in the making! So much so I’ve named my fantasy team I dream of Gini.
    A fit de Jong will be an asset.
    Darlow is an upgrade on Alnwick (who probably cost us 6/7 points last year.
    Lascelles is an upgrade on when we only had 1 centreback fit.

• 109 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:31 PM

‘…I’ve come in, he’s done very well in training, he’s got a little niggle but we want to see him playing…’

Done well in training yet he isn’t fit enough to play, I really think Colo is off. He is clearly fit enough if he is playing well in training.

• 110 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:33 PM

WWS

Aye, is the interrogation over or…?

• 111 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:33 PM

TfL,
    I think we ca be comfortable in mid table this season.

You have Chelsea, Arsenal, and the Manchester’s. Then Liverpool. After that is probably Spuds, Saints, West Ham, Swansea, Everton and ourselves.

The three promoted teams will all struggle. Sunderland and Villa are poor, Leicester have a poor squad, Palace aren’t great and West Brom.

If Everton and West Brom lose Stones and Berahinho respectively then they are significantly weaker.

I don’t see it being a season to write home about, but it is a poor standard league for the main part.

• 112 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:35 PM

None of that in any particular order other than the vague groupings.

• 113 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:36 PM

Jack
    Merely curious why u started commenting by lying is all. Makes me think ur intentions here are less than honorable

• 114 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:37 PM

Wouldn’t go so far as to say I think we have seen a change in ways, but I think we are better prepared to continue our ambitions of achieving top ten and mid table mediocrity. 8th to 10th is my early prediction with no further significant additions.

• 115 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:37 PM

The club obviously think our squad has the quality for top 8. They are the experts so how does our opinions override there’s? If they say top 8 then that’s what we all should expect. Why would they set themselves up to fail?

• 116 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:38 PM

WWS

Already been through all that mate and I really can’t be a**ed to go through it again!

• 117 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:40 PM

Jack,
    They said we had the quality for the top 10 last year….

• 118 jayphoto // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:41 PM

@Lilongwe – I think West Ham might have a shocker to be honest. 11 new signings will hardly gel fast. Bilic will try to change the whole philosophy there too which will take its toll. I think the loss of Sheringham might affect them too, apparently was doing good things.
    July start in the Europa and all those fixtures will surely haunt them come February/March time.
    Don’t think Europe will affect Southampton much, nor Spurs or Liverpool.
    Reckon Liverpool might surprise people this year. Gerrard leaving should open the way for players like lallana to express themselves further. They’ll miss Sterling though, his pace and running gave them a different dimension.

• 119 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:43 PM

I would say 10-11 with the players we got!

…other clubs are doing very well with better management!

• 120 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:43 PM

We did pre carver and injuries Lilongwe.

• 121 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:44 PM

Precisely my point Lil
    The Top 8 target was said when McClaren came in and he hadn’t looked at the team or made any signings, now I believe we have bought well but there are still positions on the field where we are lacking. Our defence was shocking last season and we only have one addition at the back in Mbemba, I feel going forward we will be good but then our defence will put us to shame

• 122 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:47 PM

Love how everyone is writing off more signings, we have absolutely no idea what is happening behind the scenes. If we can see that we need more then one CB I’m pretty sure the club can. Still plenty of time…

• 123 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:47 PM

Jack
    Not sure there is any explaining to be done, u came on as a new name (after I assume ur previous account was removed) claiming to be new to the blog (which was a lie) and when u were rumbled u started hurling abuse (which got ur new account removed) and now u are on under another name trying to encourage fighting

I put it to the court we have a pure and simple case of blog WUM-ery

• 124 beermonkey // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:47 PM

Lilongwe

after patting himself on the back for the transfers didn’t pards mention champions league

• 125 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:49 PM

Jack,

8th to 10th, but mainly because the league is very poor, not because we have revitalised the squad.

• 126 tequilamag // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:51 PM

WWSBRD did they not make Wumery legal ?

• 127 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:51 PM

Jay…it could also be a good thing for WHam and they might just surprise just like SOTON did!

I think they’ll finish higher than us looking at the current players!

• 128 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:52 PM

TfL,
    Which bit is precisely your point? I think we are very comfortable this season in mid table. You said we would be in trouble. I think I must have missed something!

Beer,
    I can’t remember. I think I missed the rest of his spiel in that interview as I was so baffled with him congratulating himself!

Jay,
    West Ham could go either way. Spurs are a much poorer squad. Reserve judgement on Liverpool, but expect they will get 5th. Southampton will be in the scrap from 6th to 12th with ourselves and the others I mentioned.

• 129 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:53 PM

tequila
    WHAT? WHEN? I was not informed of the law revamp! Dear lord I am far behind the times it seems

All charges dropped and I offer my resignation to the court

• 130 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:53 PM

WWS

Trying to be Sherlock gets you no-where mate. You have got it wrong.

I have had 5 accounts on here, yet I only have access to this one.

1. BarnoldswickMag- long time ago, never hostile, rarely posted. Got a new phone so I forgot my email address.

2. NUFCJackW- never hostile, posted more regularly, lost my password so changed. 15 at the time I believe.

3. IrishGeordie9- made because Welsh annoyed me all the time, I used it to try and get him off the blog.

4. YoungMagpieFromBurnley- as you all know.

5. Me, kind of annoyed at getting moderated I’m not gonna lie, some poster was trying to get me to bite which resulted in bad language that I apologised for.

• 131 Jib // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:54 PM

Lilo
    You do know we only missed 10th place by 9 points last season
    If Carver had just got nowt but draws for all of his tenure we would have done it easy

• 132 tequilamag // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:55 PM

Lilo not sure about Sothampton they have lost Clyne and Weirdalder and Schneiderlin plus they have the joys of the Europa League to look forward to which does not help.

• 133 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:55 PM

I meant the bit where you said they said last season we had the quality to be top 10

• 134 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:56 PM

right I am away to hospital speak to you guys soon

• 135 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:58 PM

Jib,
    10 points with our goal difference. We didn’t get those 10 points though, nor did we pick up10 points earlier in the season. Not sure the relevance of that.

If we had picked up 10 points less we would have finished bottom.

• 136 tequilamag // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:58 PM

Jib if your aunty had balls she would be your uncle

• 137 jayphoto // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:59 PM

@Jesper you reckon? Just got a feeling West Ham might struggle. Not 100% sure Payet will adapt to the Premier league speed, same with Lanzini.
    Losing Song and Jenkinson will hurt them too, were 2 of their better players. Expecting Safra to have 2nd season syndrome, I think it looked like managers and defenders had started to work him out before he got injured.
    Palace (I hate to say it, I really do) for me could do a Southampton. Not lost anyone. Added Cabaye and Bamford. They have the perfect squad to play Pardews deep, containing counter attack football. When he had the right squad here we won games, wasn’t pretty but it was effective. Reckon Pardew and Palace might be a good match.

• 138 tequilamag // Jul 30, 2015 at 12:59 PM

WWSBRD not saying I approve of it but you know what these crazy kids are like these days.

• 139 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:00 PM

Jack
    So the new user line was just for the bants?

• 140 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:00 PM

Tequila,
    Yeah, that is why I have them slugging it out with the other also rans – Swansea, us, West Ham, Spuds and Everton for 6th to 12th.

• 141 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:00 PM

And Stoke….

• 142 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:01 PM

tequila
    Haha yeah its a fact of life unfortunately, I blame the parenting and too much internet 18+ websites

• 143 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:02 PM

jay
    West Ham resigned Jenkinson and arent they still in the process of signing Song but hes currently injured?

• 144 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:02 PM

WW

No, I was moderated so it forced me to change my name.

• 145 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:04 PM

Jack
    The name change may of been forced but claiming u were completely new to the blog was of ur own accord

• 146 Jib // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:05 PM

Lilo
    The relevance of it is – you inferred we missed 10th place by miles – which clearly was not the case.
    I hope this helps

• 147 jayphoto // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:05 PM

@Lilongwe – you not reckon Palace will be in there?
    Looks like a good year this season. Lots of clubs bringing in good players. I like that the football in the PL is evolving to be better technically but it’s losing the 100 mile an hour, anyone can beat anyone edge.
    From Liverpool downwards, anyone could finish anywhere.
    A Watford or Bournemouth could shock everyone and hit top 10. Stoke and Palace are pushing on with interesting projects.
    Villa look like they’ve given up on Premier league survival. Rumoured to be interested in Williamson, aswell as in talks with Adebayor and Berbatov. The mrs’ family are all villa so I quite enjoy watching whats happening there

• 148 jayphoto // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:06 PM

@WWSBRD are they? ok, that’ll help them a bit. After the last 3 months of last season they need a lot though, only side worse than us!

• 149 JAMSHA // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:06 PM

any news on mbemba ba

• 150 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:08 PM

jay
    I think thats what I last read on Song (was awhile ago though), they certainly resigned Jenkinson though on loan again

They were crap back end of last season but big Sam knew he was on his way out at that point regardless of results and they were trying their hardest not to get into the Europa League. New manager in charge and some pretty good signings, I dont know I think they could be in the battle for best of the rest

• 151 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:09 PM

W

That’s because on my other accounts I rarely posted and I didn’t think people would know who my other accounts were hence not saying about them. It would be awkward saying I was so-and-so before and then people having no idea about them.

• 152 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:09 PM

Jib,
    We finished 15th. And didn’t get the points. Hence it isn’t particularly relevant. We would have needed to collect more than 25% of our actual points haul again. That is a fair bit.

Also, where did I infer we missed it by miles? I said

“Did we? You can’t discount injuries as they happen to all clubs. We already have had 8 players missing this pre season. So if the club are targeting top 8 based on just the first team – as they must have last season – then they will get a bit of a shock.”

We were closer to relegation than 10th, and were equip distant from bottom and 10th by both positions and points.

• 153 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:10 PM

*equidistant

• 154 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:12 PM

Jack
    U didnt need to mention it at all, just have to start commenting but u made a point of saying u had only been reading the blog for a short time…thats a red flag in my book

• 155 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:15 PM

W

Right ok I shouldn’t have lied, I’m sure you will get over it!

• 156 tequilamag // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:15 PM

To be fair to \jJIb he does have a point the team looked OK till Injuries really kicked in and Pardew left.
    Will we be more robust this time. Pre season suggests players are still likely to miss games.
    People comparing s to other clubs transfers are a bit misleading. All of our buys look a good standard whilst there is a lot of deckchair shuffling and low priced pnts going on.
    I think only Man U Man City and Liverpool have spent more than us.
    Progress is slow but we seem to be sticking to our top targets rather than number 4 or 5 on the list so so far I would consider the window good so far but more work to do

• 157 Jib // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:17 PM

Lilo
    I guess the point I was trying to make (badly) was the appointment of Carver for half a season skews any meaningful assessment of last years squad.

• 158 toon kk // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:17 PM

The worrying thing is with our pre season friendlies is we’re still proving we’re that poor squad that almost got us relegated.
    We need experienced quality through the door.
    There’s far too much resale in mind when we purchase young inexperienced players, they may have quality but its still a gamble.

• 159 LGFUAD21 // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:18 PM

I’d keep Colo.

Him and Tiote have had poor seasons but I cant help but feel they are being scapegoated to an extant.

Both are far from our worst players. Colo when fit is a decent centre back that has saved us conceding more goals a few times. His read of the game is one of the best in the league. He cant play a high line as his pace gets caught out and he can tend to drop his head. He isnt the right man to captain the team but he can do a job for another year.

As for Tiote. I think we’ve missed him badly. Our back 4 has had no protection and its put them under more pressure, especially when combined with Pardews sit deep tactics.

Look at the best defences and there’s always a man protecting them. Anita doesnt have the physicality to do it, Sissoko lacks the discipline and poor Colback can get thrown to the lions by his team mates as well as getting caught up field by his high pressure play.

If not Tiote, then we need a proper CDM. Doing so would allow Janmaat and Haidara more freedom to get forward as well as allow us to have proper attacking mid.

Last season we had 2/3 CMs all trying to do the same thing at the same time with no roles being fulfilled.

Tiote on his day was (and still is) capable of marshalling a midfield. He gets stuck in and intimidates players. He breaks up play and stops opposition from building tempo while also forcing play wide to avoid his physicality.

Wayne Rooney is a player not too afraid of a scrap but we saw Tiote silence him 3 season ago.

• 160 TudorCrisps // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:18 PM

they are keeping him fit for Palace soon as mbemba is signed collo will be off

• 161 LGFUAD21 // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:19 PM

toon kk

I dsagree.

Im not filled with confidence but we are definitely looking calmer, more comfortable on the ball in build up.

It’s disappointing that we still have a leaky defence and cant create enough clear cut chances which were the two main issues last season.

• 162 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:21 PM

Jack
    Alas am not sure I will bonny lad

• 163 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:23 PM

We are going to win a cup guys!!! But seriously, lighten up.

• 164 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:24 PM

Alas I really hope you do 🙂

• 165 LGFUAD21 // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:25 PM

WWSBRD

Completely agree on West Ham.

They look to be really ramping things up for next season.

Stoke are an interesting watch too.

Overall, i think we’ve not had a bad summer but we obviously need 2/3 more signings to say we have moved forward.

I’m glad we appear to have gone for quality over quantity but I worry that these good players will not live up without some quality around them.

• 166 LGFUAD21 // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:28 PM

One thing out of the ordinary however is that we havent seemed to settle on a starting 11.

Mcclaren is known for consistency with his team picks (sometimes to the detriment of the team) but I think bar a few players it’s anyones guess as to who lines up against Southampton.

Anita seems to be liked thats about it.

I have no idea who’ll be starting at CB. Schteev is talking a lot about Colo and Saylor, but we’ve seen a lot of Willo and not much of Dummet – who I believe could develop into a decent CB with game time.

• 167 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:28 PM

Jib,
    The collapse the previous year was just as bad, and with a better squad of players. Injuries was the biggest factor in last season, that and Cisse missing 10 of the 19 league matches through suspension alone. Tiote missed the entire time Carver was in charge. We only had one, or two defenders fit and available to select from for Carver at times.

We haven’t addressed those potential issues in the slightest. Injuries could daily derail the squad once again, hence mentioning the players out already in pre season. Injuries are likely through the season to a number of players, and we don’t have cover.

Our squad last season was good enough for 10th to 12th last season, had Cisse not missed 10 through suspension then we would have done that. This season I think we have enough for 8th to 20th. marginally better with the three (hopefully) signings, but injuries and suspensions could once again derail it.

• 168 Belfast // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:29 PM

Jay photo
    I was reading that in paper earlier about Austin formerly of Leeds United being refused a work permit.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we fail to get one for Mbemba.

• 169 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:30 PM

*easily not daily

• 170 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Jack
    Maybe one day but I will need time and space

LGFUAD21
    Aye West Ham have done decent business will be interesting to see how well they do this season

Stoke will be top 10 this coming season though I think that new lad they signed from Barca will flop Afelly or something?

• 171 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:34 PM

Belfast,
    Rodolph Austin is Jamaica’s captain as well. Spent 3 years playing in the Championship, has a 2 year old son with an English passport and captained them in both the Copa America and the Gold Cup this summer.

• 172 Spellcheck // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:35 PM

Alas Jack from Burnley, stick to football banter. Too many people with numerous pseudonyms on the blog. HWTL

• 173 LGFUAD21 // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:37 PM

Lilongwe Geordie

Agree.

I think the injuries combined with Carver’s ineptitude made the whole thing worse.

We moved players into wrong positions to cover for injuries despite them being vital to any team success in their normal positions.

Janmaat was not only our best defender but also very productive to our attacks and creating chances. He moved to CB and was replaced by Raylor who got caught up field and couldn’t pin the opposition wide men like Janmaat.

Then we moved Colback to LB and sorely missed his harrying in the midfield.

We were screwed on selection but id like to think a smart manager would think of a system that limited liabilities while providing some form of threat. Even if the team got set up to sit in two banks of 4 and play direct.

• 174 LGFUAD21 // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:39 PM

WWSBRD

We were linked with Affelay 3/4 years back.

He looked a decent young prospect but he’s never realised it. One alright season in Greece still does not convince me. Somethings not right if you are still playing for Barcas reserves in your late 20s.

He’s never come through on the potential he showed at PSV

• 175 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:41 PM

What football banter? It’s all negativity!!

• 176 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:42 PM

LGFUAD21
    Thats the lad, I remember he was a lad who looked to flatter to deceive from what I saw of hi. I think he will score some very good goals but not many of them and will be a passenger through most of their games

Same as Arnautovic really

• 177 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:44 PM

Jack,
    Negativity, optimism, positivity, pessimism, realism – whichever slant you have on what is going on doesn’t mean it isn’t footy banter/discussion/debate.

• 178 bladeuser // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:45 PM

Forget williams he is not for sale and never has been
    sm quote and take note Colo still has an important role to play so forget about any more signings ch or striker u have had your lot fat man has spent the money he had in reserve and will keep any other monies that come in when will u lot f$#$@$$ wake up
    get used to willo colo and saylor getting sliced wide open by opposition strikers and vying with norwich b/mouth and and watford for fourth from bottom
    ASHLEY OUT

• 179 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:46 PM

Ok, I don’t want to be involved in negative football banter. Better?

• 180 Belfast // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:46 PM

Yes I read that Lilongwe. Doesn’t look that promising for Mbemba if that’s the case.

I was under the impression once you’d played in the country for a few years there would be no problems obtaining another one.

• 181 toon kk // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:46 PM

Lgfu
    you’ve just contradicted yourself, you disagreed then you pointed out our same problems, which will be a major problem again next season, because it’s mainly the same under par squad.

• 182 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:51 PM

Belfast,
    No, it is reassessed every time you sign a new contract, although in the past it has rarely ever been an issue. The new rules seem to be being better enforced.

• 183 Jail for Ashley // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:52 PM

Swansea Jack, deary me, moaning about moaners, use of the Sherlock phrase, now from which juvenile welsh moron have I heard that before.

• 184 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:54 PM

Jail

Read further down the comments moron.

• 185 Jamseyd24 // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:56 PM

Forget everybody, our spending is done. There would have been some news by now if we were really pushing for another signing.

• 186 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:57 PM

Jack,
    If you aren’t interested in discussing different points of view then a blog surely isn’t the place for you?

• 187 Jail for Ashley // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:58 PM

Try nufcblog.co.uk nobody posts at all there, so nobody to annoy you !

• 188 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 30, 2015 at 1:59 PM

Jay…I don’t believe make alot of changes as SOTON did last season and WHam this season is a negative thing…far from it!

…but of course it can have a negative effect!

Personally I don’t think we as a club has really evolved. Added some good players but I have learned it’s not just really about that. It’s about getting the right mixture and right now we don’t have that.

• 189 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:01 PM

Just because I don’t want to discuss the negative side of football doesn’t mean I can’t discuss the ‘optimistic, positivite, pessimistic, realistic – whichever slant you have on what is going on doesn’t mean it isn’t footy banter/discussion/debate’ side of it.

• 190 Belfast // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:01 PM

Yeah that’s the point though. The new rules are apparently to stop clubs signing young foreign players and encourage clubs to develop their own British players.

Now the bloke we want to sign is apparently 20 ( I say that loosely) and is from Congo.

He would be a prime example of what they want to stop.

• 191 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:05 PM

Jail your advice means jack shjt(lol) to me.

• 192 Jail for Ashley // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:06 PM

Then don’t take you annoying little squirt !

• 193 dok - the horrid colonial // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:08 PM

wum-ery, classic… spit coffee at that

• 194 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:09 PM

Belfast,
    I agree. I hope the club have somebody lined up and ready to move on quickly if it does fall through.

• 195 dok - the horrid colonial // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:09 PM

Belfast, jfa, hope today finds you both well

• 196 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:10 PM

What you all ganging up on me for? Am I not allowed an opinion? Cool.

• 197 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:10 PM

JfA
    I dont think u will get anywhere mate haha

What ur feelings towards NUFC these days? Inspired by the ‘3’ through the door or expecting a shanking in the showers come late August?

• 198 dok - the horrid colonial // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:12 PM

jack ,

maybe make another name on here and change your tone… 6 psuedonyms now?

• 199 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:12 PM

Jack,
    Course you are. But you would be better served arguing your case for being positive rather than moaning and sniping about the negativity and other posters.

• 200 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:13 PM

Dok

Maybe you can shove your opinion up your a**e? That would be pretty good.

• 201 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:15 PM

dok
    WUM-ery is certainly included in my better comments of NUFCblog thats for sure

• 202 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:16 PM

Jack
    Whats the best way to catch bees?

• 203 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:16 PM

The amount of people who moan about negativity on here is pretty bad, do they get Ganged up on? No. Unless they are a familiar name.

• 204 Yorkshire Magpie // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:17 PM

lol every forum has its troll

• 205 Jail for Ashley // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:17 PM

dok,
    Very well thank you, I’m sitting in a control room of a rusting dilapidated hulk of steel somewhere off the coast of Linconshire. It could be better then again it could be worse.
    WW…,
    I think it’s an absolute disgrace how the transfer window has panned out other than the two trophy signings which the cynic in me says have been bought in view of the Bony sale rather than our long term success. Not allowed to say that though.

• 206 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:18 PM

What’s the best way to tell a funny joke? Just say WWSBRD.

• 207 Jail for Ashley // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:20 PM

WW…,
    Regardless of Ashley still being here or not, I said I’d go back to SJP if suitable investment was made and that the club was going in the right direction, I don’t thin it has or is yet and therefore won’t be going back this year at least, unless something seriously changes.

• 208 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:20 PM

Yorkshire

You would know right?

• 209 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:20 PM

Jack,
    Your first post on this thread…

Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:00 AM

This blog is shjt harrumph!!

And your second…

Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Your opinion is rank

Hardly contributing much are you. Maybe if you didn’t craic on like that more would bother engaging you on other topics, rather than accusing you of being a WUM.

• 210 Jail for Ashley // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:21 PM

What a top notch knob we have here today !

• 211 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:24 PM

Well, 3 years experience on this blog and my conclusion is that it’s shjt. But wait, better not use my opinion right? Way too much negativity on here! It could be good if everyone wasn’t do hard to please and didn’t have gangs. 🙂

• 212 Yorkshire Magpie // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:24 PM

Jack what gave you the impression I was talking about you???

• 213 Liverpool Mag // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:24 PM

Jack

Take it from another young guy, treat these guys with respect, they’re not ganging up on you but the way you phrase things seems to rub people up the wrong way. It’s a football blog, mate; everybody is here to chat about Newcastle and have fun, doesn’t need to be fight

• 214 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:25 PM

Jail that’s not a nice way to talk about yourself now is it…

• 215 pawl250 // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:25 PM

I would like to see Cisse, Williamson, Marveaux, Vuckic leave/sold.

Bring in Austin, Van Dijk and a young right back. If people really want a left back I would get Friend from the smogs.

Krul

Kemen
    Gouffran
    Obertan
    Riviere

• 216 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:25 PM

JfA
    A disgrace? Not sure I would go that far mate but I dont think its been the huge success some are implying it has been. No doubt the signings are with a view to sell within 2/3 seasons but thats always the way under Ashley in all fairness.

Not swayed by the money put down then? Me either to be honest but still time for it to double before we are locked in until January

Jack
    I wasnt telling a joke squire I was highlighting a pretty common phrase, honey over vinegar

• 217 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:26 PM

Not sure if reading all the comments over the past 10 minutes to catch up was worth it or not.

Give it a rest Jack will you mate? You’re being target because you’ve made yourself a target. Lil has just pointed that our with your first posts.

I’m gonna try and change the subject by predicting how the league will end up

1. Man Utd
    17. Sunderland
    18. Aston Villa
    19. Norwich
    20. Watford

• 218 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:27 PM

Yorkshire

With everyone attempting to out me I pretty much expect anything with the word wum written on it to be something regarding me. But you would know right?

• 219 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:29 PM

W

Right, ok. And mine was a joke.

• 220 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:30 PM

Give what a rest? I have as much right to post as everyone else!

• 221 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:31 PM

Lew

9th?

That’s too optimistic for this blog mate, why not check out the blog jail posted earlier?

• 222 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:33 PM

Ok my predictions

1. Newcastle
    2. Newcastle
    3. Newcastle
    4. Newcastle
    5. Newcastle

You get the idea.

• 223 dok - the horrid colonial // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:33 PM

jack,

methinks you need to put down the wine coolers, maybe check into AA, seems you cant handle a bottle unless it has a nipple on it…

prob a mackem to boot..

• 224 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:34 PM

LewSpi,
    I think Chelsea will win the league, Man U, Arsenal and City will be in close attention behind, I’d probably back Arsenal for second with Cech in goal, particularly if they can bring in one or two more.

I think Everton will be lower, particularly if they lose Stones, but it is all very similar after Liverpool down through until you get to the bottom 5 or 6.

I think you have the bottom 6 right, although I wouldn’t want to guess on the order just yet.

• 225 dok - the horrid colonial // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:34 PM

JFA,

please watch out for icebergs, we know how that movie tirned out 🙂

• 226 Yorkshire Magpie // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:35 PM

15. Bournemouth
    16. Aston Villa
    17. Sunderland
    18. Leicester
    19. Norwich
    20. Watford

mostly agree LEW but I think stoke and palace will well this year, also thinks Everton and Southampton will struggle for top 8 this year, I think relegation is any 3 from my bottom 8

• 227 pawl250 // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:35 PM

Lewi

1. Chelsea
    2. Arsenal
    3. Man City
    4. Man Utd (Only takes Rooney to be injured then its over)
    5. Liverpool
    6. Tottenham
    7. Everton
    8. Newcastle
    9. Stoke
    10. Swansea (no Bony this year)
    11. Southampton (EL)
    12. Crystal Palace
    13. West Ham (EL)
    14. Norwich
    15. West Brom
    16. Leicester
    17. Aston Villa
    18. Sunderland
    19. Bournemouth
    20. Watford

• 228 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:36 PM

Lew
    I agree with ur top 4, though I think Chelsea will win and as always Arsenal will come 4th

Bottom 6 again Id agree, though I think Bournemouth will replace Norwich in going down. Middle 10 is as ever where no one cares haha Though I think Liverpool and Spurs will be 5 and 6 respectfully

Us? Probably between 10th and 12th

• 229 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:36 PM

Dok

Not a Mackem, how dare you associate me with them smelly turds.

Not on the drink either, babysitting, so I have some free time. 🙂

• 230 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:37 PM

Lil

I think Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U will leave City behind this year, i feel they’ll be battling for 4th with Liverpool.

On reflection I possibly have got Everton slightly too high, there’s still a way to go in the transfer window yet so as you say, it depends on the Stones saga and subsequent reinforcements.

I’d like I to think I have teams 1-8, 9-13 and 14-20 correct, but maybe in slightly different orders.

• 231 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:37 PM

Is also say Southampton will finish bottom half

• 232 Rotonda heights // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:37 PM

jack

so you’ve taken 3 years to conclude it’s s–t!!

• 233 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:40 PM

See I fancy Southampton to have a decent year, despite the Europa. Seems we generally have us between 8th and 12th, cautiously optimistic then. Proved nothing really have I.

• 234 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Rot

Why you realise quickly?

• 235 nightfa11 // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:43 PM

When will the clear out happen?

Weve been hearing about that for the past year.. We have 30 first Team players ffs..

Krul,darlow,elliot
    Janmaat, dummet, haidara,lescalles, colo,willo,Taylor,Mbemba,good
    Obertan, marveaux, aarons, tiote,Colback,Anita,abeid, bigi,sissoko, sdj,winaljdum, vuckic,ferguson
    Perez,cisse,mitro,rivi,goufrann

25 is enough.. Plus few youngsters (kemen,etc)

• 236 WWSBRD // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:44 PM

Lew
    I see Southampton struggling in all honesty, lost their spine again and with Europa League I see it being a tough old season

• 237 Jamseyd24 // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:45 PM

Ok guys judging from what we have seen so far and recent signings, what do you predict the result will be against Southhampton next week

• 238 nightfa11 // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:45 PM

+ cabella..so 31

• 239 Magpie Season // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:46 PM

West Brom spent 8mil on Chester. Jesus!

QPR probably want 20mil for Austin after seeing that.

• 240 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:46 PM

3-2 win vs Southampton!

• 241 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:46 PM

I’m not convinced by Tottenham. They are pretty week in midfield at the minute, lost Capoue, Paulinho and Stambouli from their midfield. Bought 3 defenders, although Trippier will be competing with Walker and Yedlin.

Outside of one or two, they are a pretty average prem squad. Maybe they will spend some to rectify their squad.

I’d say 1 to 5 is fine. 6 to 14 is probably the right grouping and 15 down. Not in the order you have though.

• 242 Bambams // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:46 PM

Any update on mbemba….

• 243 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:47 PM

Soon to become Newcastle’s third signing of the ongoing transfer window, Chancel Mbemba was spotted leaving Newcastle United’s training facilities few minutes ago.

The defender has reportedly been granted the endorsement by the FA now and an application for a work permit has been submitted.

An official announcement is expected to take place any time now!

• 244 pawl250 // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:48 PM

I think 8th cos we have a solid team.

It really is a season that relates to injuries. We cannot afford a season we have half our squad injured as we do not have the luxury that most do have,

We have maintained our best players (for now) and brought some solid players in.

Right now our team pretty much floats around

Krul
    Janmaat – Mbemba – Coloccini – Haidara
    Wijnaldum – Tiote
    Sissoko – De Jong – Aarons
    Mitrovic

Darlow, STaylor, Dummett, Colback, Cabella, Perez, Cisse

Its a solid team, enough to finish top 10. BUT look at the team and see the likes of Haidara, Tiote. De Jong, Aarons who really have not had a significant run in the first team recently due to injuries. AND we have no idea how injury prone our new players are, or will be.

We instantly lose a level when you take those players out

Krul
    Janmaat – Mbemba – Coloccini – Dummett
    Colback – Anita
    Sissoko – Wijnaldum – Cabella
    Mitrovic

Darlow, STaylor, Lascelles, Abeid, Obertan, Perez, Cisse

Our team starts dropping quality and the bench starts looking dramatically weaker and unbalanced.

• 245 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:49 PM

We will score early, and then another one before half-time. They will come out quickly with an early goal and they will get another one after continued pressure. We will nick it near the end through super sub Aarons.

• 246 hibbit // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:50 PM

jail do work on coasters …

• 247 jayphoto // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:50 PM

Got a feeling the Manchester clubs will dominate. Man Utd will probably spend a further 60/70m this summer.

1. Man Utd
    17. Watford
    18. Aston Villa
    19. Leicester
    20. Norwich

• 248 mickalfas // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:51 PM

Jack
    Reading the posts ,its all negativity blah, blah,blah
    It’s actually you who’s the most negative, slagging everyone off etc
    Kids like you are the reason England’s in the shit,spoilt brat
    Get a job ffs

• 249 Magpie Season // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:52 PM

nightfa11,

In that list I think only 3 do not have to be registered, unless Mbemba is 20. If he is, I would very much like to know his diet.

That does leave 2 more. Even then, a 25 man squad of registered players is too large for just a Premier League season in my opinion.

Also, it’s not that easy to offload players, especially if no one is interested in them & even if they are, the interested club does not satisfy the players demands.

No one is interested in our squad players. I have not read a single rumour, apart from Sissoko, that anyone is interested in our players in this window. Except maybe Crystal Palace for Tim Krul as well.

• 250 Magpie Season // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:57 PM

jay,

Palace at 7th?

It’s similar to what I would have except switch Palace & Southampton for Everton & Stokealona in top 10.

• 251 Magpie Season // Jul 30, 2015 at 2:58 PM

jay,

Wait, Chelsea for 1st.

Chelsea are my favourite team to bet on. I have won so much money betting on them. I owe them that much.

• 252 davis_toons // Jul 30, 2015 at 3:08 PM

By selling Colo at 3mil..what kind of Defender can we get?

eh…3 williamson?

That will properly lost alot of possession and Colo key game is Interception.

If you understand his play. He reads passes well and intercept fast enough to get us back to the game for others to lose it again.

Header..
    Colo vs Willo..Who better? The last few games clearly shows that Colo can head alot better than Willo does in a season. And remember Colo is a threat infront of goal.

He can create and laid down balls and offers teams-mates a shooting chance.

With 3 million you will never find such defender. If you study his game you will know that he is not a Brick Wall kind of Defender.

He was bought for a reason. ..To Counter Attack.

previous post: Newcastle Hope To Get Transfer Business Moving Today