The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Announce Chancel Mbemba Signing – “I Am Excited”

5:44 pm, Thursday, July 30th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 90 Comments

Newcastle have just announced the signing of center-back Chancel Mbemba from Anderlecht on a five year deal, and it looked like the FA finally gave their approval for the GBE, a full eight days after Newcastle United requested it.

But all’s well that ends well – and Mbemba is another terrific signing for Newcastle this summer, and another £8.5M paid out which takes our spending on three players up to £35.5M – not a bad start.

mbemba signs for newcatsle

Chancel Mbemba at St. James’ Park

This is the announcement that has just gone up on the Newcastle web-site.

=======

Newcastle United have announced the signing of Anderlecht defender Chancel Mbemba after the club received a Governing Body Endorsement (GBE) for the player at an FA hearing on Thursday (30th July).

The deal is subject to Mbemba receiving the appropriate visa.

Mbemba becomes Newcastle United’s third signing of the summer, after completing the switch from Anderlecht. The 20-year-old DR Congo international defender has agreed a five-year deal on Tyneside.

Mbemba is now required to apply for his visa overseas, with the hope that he is then able to return to join his new teammates in Newcastle midweek.

Born in Kinshasa, Mbemba played youth football for a number of local sides in his homeland before joining Belgian giants Anderlecht in 2011.

After rising through the ranks at the Constant Vanden Stock Stadium, he became a first-team regular and played a key role in Anderlecht being crowned Belgian Pro League champions in 2014, as well as lifting back-to-back Belgian Super Cups in 2013 and 2014.

He played in all six of Anderlecht’s group stage games in the Champions League last season, scoring both goals in their 2-0 home win over Galatasaray in November 2014.

Speaking of his move, Mbemba said:

“I’m very, very happy to be here. This is the biggest league in the world and I’m very proud to wear the shirt for this team and play in this league.”

“I’m going to do everything I can to help make the supporters happy, to help out my teammates and to bring something extra to the team.”

“I know the team very well. I’ve watched the Premier League and I know this is a massive team with big players and with a great coach.”

“I’ve come here to Newcastle United because it’s a very good move in my career to play for such a famous club. I am excited for the season ahead.”

Newcastle United head coach Steve McClaren added:

“We are delighted that Chancel is now a Newcastle United player after it took a little longer than we had hoped.”

“He is a proven performer at the highest level, he’s powerful, combative and will add quality to our defense. He also has an eye for goal which is an extra asset for us.”

“We will get him integrated into the squad quickly once he is with us. Unfortunately, due to the time it takes to process the visa application that won’t be in time for our final friendly on Saturday, but our focus will be to make sure he will be ready and available as soon as possible.

“I’m sure our supporters will take to him very quickly. He’s the sort of player fans will enjoy watching.”

=======

This is a fantastic signing for Newcastle, and we’ve had to wait for about a week while he got his approval to apply for a visa from the FA – notice the visa has not yet been approved – but it will be.

Credit goes to Managing Director Lee Charnley for what turned out to be a difficult and drawn out signing, since the FA delayed their three man committee hearing on giving their approval on the visa application until today – but gave it this morning.

Chancel is such an important signing for us, because he will help to plug those holes in Newcastle’s central defense.

Chancel is a top class player who seems delighted to being able to join his former Anderlecht team-mate – Aleksandar Mitrovic at Newcastle United.

He will not be able to play on Saturday against Borussia Monchengladbach as Steve has said, which means he will have to probably have some practice games and be introduced gradually into the first team.

There’s also news today that Ivan Toney – the 19 year-old Northampton striker – is having his medical at Newcastle today.

Tags: Chancel Mbemba · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Premier League · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

90 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Jul 30, 2015 at 5:47 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Liverpool Mag // Jul 30, 2015 at 5:48 PM

At long last!

• 3 firebug666 // Jul 30, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Mbemba In!

• 4 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 30, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Official news to blog article in 14 minutes, not bad going Edward.

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Jul 30, 2015 at 5:50 PM

Ashley Out !
    RB cover IN !

• 6 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 5:51 PM

What a great signing, mike Ashley <3

• 7 OneAlanShearer // Jul 30, 2015 at 5:51 PM

Just 4 class players to go and I will be happy.
    Centre back
    Holding midfielder
    Winger
    Striker.

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Jul 30, 2015 at 5:51 PM

Very good, I’m in a better mood now !

• 9 Tsunki // Jul 30, 2015 at 5:51 PM

Lewspi don’t worry Pawl will have something to whimper about.

Liverpool Mag – I meant ‘old’ as in a seasoned wum who has done all this before under another name. Familiar stuff, bigging up Pardew, dissing fans, hates the blog….

• 10 GeordieJack // Jul 30, 2015 at 5:51 PM

Finally now onto the next centre half, Austin and a winger!

• 11 nut meg // Jul 30, 2015 at 5:53 PM

That’s one in, now which is the one to go out Curly, Larry or Moe ?

• 12 Average_Contents // Jul 30, 2015 at 5:54 PM

Anyone spring immediately to mind tsunki? I’ve got my suspicions.

• 13 Tsunki // Jul 30, 2015 at 5:54 PM

So we’re really not too bad at the back if this lads not going to be another Mbiwa. Must say I’m wary of players whose names begin with an unfamiliar combo of consonants after that, especially the fridge MB pairing. 🙂

Of course, injuries…..

• 14 Tsunki // Jul 30, 2015 at 5:54 PM

Fridge? Fridge???? It should have said dodgy.

• 15 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 30, 2015 at 5:55 PM

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A central defender!!!!!

Yessssss

• 16 Average_Contents // Jul 30, 2015 at 5:56 PM

I’m going with small potatoes Pokat myself tsunki….he was a eight knobend I’m sure you’ll agree 😀

• 17 Thump // Jul 30, 2015 at 5:56 PM

So, if the governing body has given us the okay, I assume that means that he’s very likely to receive the visa?

• 18 tequilamag // Jul 30, 2015 at 5:56 PM

Tsunki if you CBA to scroll back through todays threads he lists the names he has used.

• 19 Tsunki // Jul 30, 2015 at 5:56 PM

Average you know I’ve lost count of the permutations, it could be one, it could be five. Welshgeordie has gone missing of late hasn’t he? Or have I narrowly missed his performances.

• 20 Jib // Jul 30, 2015 at 5:56 PM

more transfers to come

• 21 GeordieTwo // Jul 30, 2015 at 5:56 PM

Then I saw his face, it was Chancel Mbemba!
    Not a trace of doubt in his mind.
    He’s in love, with Steve McLaren!
    He couldn’t leave us if he tried.
    Old Monkey’s tune. Seems appropriate. Huzzah Chancel!!!

• 22 croftus5678 // Jul 30, 2015 at 5:59 PM

at last now get him in the game on sat then we can have a good look at what were expecting this season.

• 23 GeordieTwo // Jul 30, 2015 at 5:59 PM

Some very interesting quotes from Purple Llambeezee:
    “I tried to sign Chancel while with the club. I spotted him very early in his career and pointed him out to Graham. Graham scoffed but I knew he was the real deal. That’s why I’m a top, top executive type after all. Just ask Rangers. They’ll tell you.”

• 24 Sivarese // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:00 PM

Hopefully a great signing – now we need another with some height!

• 25 toonicle // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:00 PM

Great now let’s get Van Dijk signed up!

• 26 GeordieTwo // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:01 PM

Not expected to play against BMG croftus mate. Colo has to do his hair etc. etc. He wants to look good for his first Prem appearance.

• 27 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:01 PM

Why do you all care who I am? At the end of the day none of you should give a shjt.

• 28 GeordieTwo // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Or we could sign somebody with tremendous width!!! Very difficult to get round somebody who’s 4 feet wide.

• 29 GeordieTwo // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Don’t worry Jack. I don’t care who you are.

• 30 Liverpool Mag // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Tsunki

Ah fair enough, mate. Must be honest, when I saw YMFB first post a few weeks a go he seemed to be an enthusiastic, polite commentator. Not quite sure whatever happened to that 😛

The big difference between Mbemba and Mbiwa is that Mbemba has a reasonable amount of Champions league experience. As well as being very, very fast which is a big difference between him and Mbiwa because Mbiwa was always a little too slow imo, but he does well in Italy and France because they are significantly slower leagues.

• 31 the broons // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:03 PM

finally! right rudiger next please and then you lot can focus on shifting the rest out of the club.

• 32 Liverpool Mag // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:04 PM

Jack

You know you don’t need to swear? This blog is open to all and while you’re not actually typing the words exactly, it makes the blog less accessible for younger fans.

• 33 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:04 PM

Nah I couldn’t give a flying shite who your are either mate, don’t you worry yourself

• 34 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:05 PM

Apologies for my French.

• 35 croftus5678 // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:06 PM

@28 g2

rofl thats awsome and a very good point lol.

• 36 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:07 PM

Well I’m glad some of you are sane 🙂

• 37 Jib // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:07 PM

Tsunki
    Even WUMs and Trolls have to have holidays.
    BandB hasn’t been on for over a week and they say the bingo in Benidorm is lush.

• 38 firebug666 // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:07 PM

Jack

Don’t think anyone cares who or what you are bonnie lad, we just don’t think you should take it out of us just because your mum told you to clean your room.

• 39 GeordieTwo // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:08 PM

I like the idea of a fast CB coming in. How is he on high balls? Because if he plays with Colo he’ll have to handle most of them.

• 40 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:09 PM

Ah that’s right firebug, use my age as a form of insult. That’s what I expected when I decided to give my age away. Very mature.

• 41 stoonley // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:09 PM

To the tune of the Wombles:

Mbemba, Mbemba, Mbemba, Mbemba,
    Mbemba, Mbemba, Mbembaaaaaaaaa

Mbemba you’re a Geordie, MBEMBA YOU’RE A GEORDIE
    Mbemba you’re a Geordie, MBEMBA YOU’RE A GEORDIE
    Mbemba you’re a Geordie, MBEMBA YOU’RE A GEORDIE
    Mbemba you’re a Geordie, MBEMBA YOU’RE A GEORDIE
    Mbemba-bemba-bemba what a Geordie Geordie Geordie you are!

• 42 Mister Tuff // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:09 PM

jack = welsh knacker.

• 43 mickalfas // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:09 PM

Can he play against ze Germans,or is there more paperwork to sort out?
    Would like to see him together with lascelles in the friendly

• 44 SA Toon // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:09 PM

Another great signing! Now for Thauvin, Austin and (please) one more CB!

• 45 Liverpool Mag // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:10 PM

What signing would people want next? I’d prefer another centre back personally, as that’s our weakest area. Most of our centre backs are crocked and terrible to boot as well.

• 46 ToonFromLeeds // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:10 PM

Next buy another cb, a winger and Austin and we are in business.

Glad to see the paperwork come through for Mbemba

• 47 GeordieTwo // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:10 PM

Can we patch Saylor up and have him available for 2 or 3 matches this season? Possibly strap an extra leg on him in case he has to jump? He can teach Mbemba how to thrust his chest out while running as well.

• 48 ShirebrookToon // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:10 PM

MBEMBA!!!! Come on!!!! Now let’s get Rudiger, Shaqiri and Austin please

• 49 GeordieTwo // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:12 PM

There’s more paperwork to sort out still mickalfas mate. We’ve got Derek and Joe working on it for us on a volunteer basis so I would expect it to go through some time in December.

• 50 GeordieTwo // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:14 PM

Urgent situation developing at the club lads!!!! Dire medical emergency involving the Belgian midget strikers……Apparently they’re suffering from shortness of breath!!! Why is it always us??? Harrumph.

• 51 nut meg // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:14 PM

Cher… Bang Bang
    BANG BANG, HE SHOOTS THEM DOON
    BANG BANG,JUST HEAR THAT SOUND
    BANG BANG, THE BALLS GOALWARD BOUND
    BANG BANG, WOR MITRO SHOT THEM DOON

• 52 firebug666 // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:14 PM

Jack

Wow Jack, just WOW!

Is that how you read my post, I don’t recall mentioning your age, but you are behaving like a petulant teenager, stamping your foot and swearing at bloggers simply because you think your being clever.

You started out as a decent lad with a good attitude and many on here including myself engaged you conversation.

What Happened?

• 53 mickalfas // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:15 PM

G2
    As quick as that ,they must be on a bonus!

• 54 TudorCrisps // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:16 PM

TFL

Correct mate, and maybie some cover at right back, I would be excited to watch MOTD again after the match if we get them extras in

• 55 croftus5678 // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:17 PM

so…thinking next year if this stays the same our cb’s are mbemba/lescalles and good ! colo/saylor/williamson should be let go after their contracts end.

unless he uses dummett as cb which he should do imo.

• 56 Crow59 // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:18 PM

Anyone else see the gourcuff is still a free agent?? Would be awesome purely for experience and leadership.

• 57 GeordieTwo // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:19 PM

Oh all right then. And now by popular request…..Muskrat Love!!!!
    And they whirl and they twirl and they tango
    Singin’ and jingin the jango
    Floatin’ like the heavens above
    Looks like Muskrat Love
    The Captain and Toenail. Beautiful.

• 58 The Newcastle Armchair // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:19 PM

We’re gonna get trounced off Southampton hehe

• 59 Liverpool Mag // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:19 PM

I can’t honestly see us bringing in rb cover as well as a new cb. But wouldn’t be surprised that we would get what we didn’t buy this window in the january window.

• 60 GeordieTwo // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:20 PM

Don’t worry Tudor Crisps mate. Phil Gristle can play a very canny RB…

• 61 Brian Pinas // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:20 PM

To Ultravox Vienna

The visa is done,
    How old are you son?
    It means nothing to me
    It means nothing to me
    Oh Mbemba!

• 62 Belfast // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:21 PM

firebug666

Pushy Pardew tea bagged him.

• 63 TudorCrisps // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:22 PM

Too true LiverpoolMag but then again you never know with this lot, I’ve got a gut feeling that all our transfer business done now hope I’m wrong tho hopefully 1 or 2 BIG signings

• 64 Jib // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:22 PM

mickalfas
    He went from Brussels to Paris get a tourist visa (4 weeks it’s for I think) Now he has his Work Permit he has to apply for a different kind of visa that allows him to work.
    You must have seen that Aussie tv prog Border Security – similar sort of thing

• 65 firebug666 // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:23 PM

Belfast

PMSL: Aye that’ll do it!

• 66 GeordieTwo // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:23 PM

I’m getting very cocky about wor chances in the Prem now with all these tremendous signings. Right then! I’m moving my prediction up to 13th!!! No, don’t try to change my mind lads, this is serious prediction business here…..Harrumph.

• 67 north_country_boy // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:24 PM

Quality rumour of the day. We need another striker, McClaren says there’s a surprise coming and now Ibrahimovic has said his next move will be a “very big surprise” – I’ve put 2+2 together and got………… 🙂

• 68 mickalfas // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:25 PM

Jib
    Cheers for that

• 69 GeordieTwo // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:26 PM

You got 7 didn’t you north_etc_etc mate? Yes, I often come up with that myself…

• 70 firebug666 // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:26 PM

GeordieTwo

Are you not being just a little too optimistic there G2?

Or are you counting on the Honey Badgers down Charnley’s to bring in a ringer in January?

• 71 TudorCrisps // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:26 PM

haha north county, doubt ashley will pay his 250k a week, then again sign him for a month if you can

• 72 Liverpool Mag // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:27 PM

TudorCrisps

I think a BIG signing is only possible with an outgoing. Like, I think we will get Austin if we see Cisse. Thauvin I think could only be sorted if Marv or Obertan were sold. It’s just how the club functions, or functioned anyway and I’ve yet to see the evidence of change.

• 73 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:27 PM

We have signed some good players so far…still a long way to go and Charmless is taking his bloody time!

We still need 4 more first team players I think!

• 74 Liverpool Mag // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:28 PM

Ibra would be an amazing move. Although he’s apparently fought with Mitrovic before.

It also has to be impossible 😛

• 75 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:29 PM

(Oke koke)

Ohhhhh Mbemba
    Ohhhhhh Mbemba
    Ohhhhhh Mbemba
    24? 25? Who gives a toss!

*repeat*

Spent a good 5 minutes thinking of this, don’t go taking credit ya bunch of swines.

• 76 doofa the loofa // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:30 PM

Big Mike in…
    Quality summer signings in..
    happy days.. bolt that horse on my son..

• 77 LewSpi v2.0 // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:31 PM

We’ve gotta be off the bridle now surely?

• 78 Tsunki // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:31 PM

Welsh isn’t going to fall in to the Pushy trap and post to himself whilst the worse for wear. Stick to one name at a time that’s what I do. Er sorry that’s what I would have done. Did. Ahhhhh……..

• 79 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:32 PM

Nothing happened, just got fed up of some of the posters on here.

• 80 voodoo85 // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:33 PM

Palace after Connor Wickham from Sunderland

• 81 JackButler // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:35 PM

Think its time to change my name on here

• 82 voodoo85 // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:35 PM

Keith Downie ?@SkySports_Keith 18 minutes ago
    BREAKING: We understand Crystal Palace have agreed a fee with Sunderland for striker Connor Wickham. More over on @SkySportsNewsHQ

Keith Downie ?@SkySports_Keith 11 minutes ago
    Wickham signed a long term contract extension last season on high wages so the fee agreed with Palace will be substantial.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Wonder how much Palace have bid, not exactly done anything since he came into the Prem

• 83 Tsunki // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:36 PM

Jack, then leave and save yourself from a future ulcer and depression.

• 84 Jack // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:36 PM

‘…we just don’t think you should take it out of us just because your mum told you to clean your room.’

If that isn’t a punt at my age then I don’t know what is.

• 85 GeordieTwo // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:36 PM

I am taking a big chance firebug mate. But I see the fine work being done by Lee and I just know we can do it. We can snatch 13th place from other undeserving clubs like Stoke and Leicester….The dream lives on….Beautiful.

• 86 will die for the toon army // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:53 PM

Mbemba Mbemba. Get another CB Rudiger or Matip or Abdennour or Work out a formular on Colo.

Get Austin and we play diamond formation. AC Milan style.
    …………….Krul
    Janmatt….Mbemba….Colo/Abdennour..Haidara
    …………………………Tiote
    ………………Sissoko……….Wijnaldum
    ………………………..De Jong
    ………….Mitrovic………………..Austin.

• 87 will die for the toon army // Jul 30, 2015 at 6:57 PM

We dont need Thauvin

• 88 Aaron Connor // Jul 30, 2015 at 8:31 PM

Mbembawe Mbembawe Mbembawe Mbembawe…
    From the Congo the mighty Congo a Lion sweeps tonight…
    From the Congo the mighty Congo Chancel leaps tonight!

• 89 Moonraker15 // Jul 30, 2015 at 9:11 PM

Some of you professional Neggars must be getting worried now with this quality coming in haha more to come!

• 90 Moonraker15 // Jul 30, 2015 at 9:15 PM

Oh dear Pardew’s paid 9 million for Conor Whickham wtf is he doing Mackems wouldn’t sell him if he was any good!

previous post: Ivan Toney Undergoing Medical At Newcastle