It’s six years since the great Sir Bobby Robson passed away from cancer, and we have put out an article today in remembrance of the great man.
Bobby was great at making statements that were not quite right and an example of those was when he said – “we scored nine and you cannot score more than that” – following an 8-0 win at St. James’ Park against Sheffield Wednesday in his first home game as Newcastle manager back in 1999.
Sir Bobby Robson – come on lads!!
Here are 10 memorable quotes from the great man.
- “We didn’t underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought.”
- “I’m not going to look beyond the semi-final – but I would love to lead Newcastle out at the final.”
- “He never fails to hit the target. But that was a miss.”
- “Look at those olive trees! They’re 200 years old – from before the time of Christ.”
- “In the first half he took a corner, a poor corner, which hit the first defender, and it took him 17 minutes to get back to the halfway line.” (talking about our former French winger Laurent Robert)
- “With Maradona, even Arsenal would have won the World Cup.” (talking about the 1986 World Cup)
- “Eighteen months ago Sweden were arguably one of the best three teams in Europe, and that would include Germany, Holland, Russia and anybody else if you like.”
- “Gary Speed has never played better, never looked fitter, never been older.”
- “He’s the only man I know who could start an argument with himself” (talking about former Newcastle striker Craig Bellamy)
- “Home advantage gives you an advantage.”
Sir Bobby Robson was a great man indeed and the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation continues to thrive.
Here’s 23 minutes of that 8-0 win for those fans who haven’t seen the game or the goals, and remember at the time Newcastle were second bottom of the league and Sheffield Wednesday were bottom – and it includes all the goals – there were eight of them.
Are their other quotes you have of Bobby not quite saying things right?