The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

It’s Soon To Be All Change With The Coaching Staff

8:53 am, Friday, July 31st, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 47 Comments

It looks like Andy Woodman will be joining up once again with Alan Pardew at Crystal Palace,  if terms can be agreed to pay compensation to Newcastle for Woodman,  who still has five years left on his eight year deal at Newcastle.

andy woodman

Andy Woodman – expected to join Alan Pardew at Palace

That would mean that all the coaches who were Alan Pardew’s first team coaches at Newcastle – John Carver, Steve Stone and Andy – will all have left the club.

John Carver and Steve Stone were fired a day before Steve McClaren was announced as the new head coach in June.

That was after a disastrous five months in charge of Newcastle, when we were almost relegated on the final day of the season, after being in a comfortable 9th place when they took over the club at the end of last year.

There are a number of goalkeeping coaches being linked with Newcastle to replace Woodman, with former Newcastle coach  Simon Smith in the reckoning.

Smith became the first-team goalkeeping coach at Newcastle initially working under Ruud Gullit in the summer of 1999, and then was coach for Sir Bobby Robson, after Ruud was sacked in late August of 1999 after only a year at the club.

sir bobby robson

The great Sir Bobby Robson while at Newcastle

That came after Newcastle were beaten 2-1 at home by Sunderland, a game in which Gullit had dropped Alan Shearer.

In the next home game, which was Bobby Robson’s first as Newcastle manager, we hammered Sheffield Wednesday 8-0 (5-0 up at half time), and Alan Shearer scored five goals – still a Premier League record.

Steve McClaren’s goalkeeping coach at Derby County – Eric Steele – is also said to be in the frame.

However, earlier this month Steele was hired by the Football Association to coach goalkeepers across their junior teams, so it seems unlikely Eric will be coming.

Before he took the job at the FA, Eric was heavily favored to replace Woodman at Newcastle, but it seems a compensation deal between the two clubs could not be worked out until now.

Tags: Coaching · Head coach · Management · Newcastle News · Other News · Recruitment

47 responses so far ↓

• 1 TudorCrisps // Jul 31, 2015 at 8:56 AM

Tarra Woodman

• 2 Jamseyd24 // Jul 31, 2015 at 8:57 AM

Iv been saying for days the rumors have dried up. Baring a few youth signings, I think we are pretty much done.

• 3 Jib // Jul 31, 2015 at 8:58 AM

Very clever headline
    I think Ed may have worked as an adman for IBM

• 4 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:00 AM

No great loss. Let him join the Pearly King. I think all the keepers on his watch here could have had their performances improved with better coaching. You can’t do much about a keeper’s reflexes etc. but you certainly can when it comes to things like positioning and distribution.

• 5 OneAlanShearer // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:02 AM

I thought Eric steele was no longer in the frame.

On another note. We have to play 433 against Southampton. We need to keep Southampton full backs up the pitch.

The defence picks itself but I’d go:

Sissoko colback Wijnaldum

Perez Mitrovic Aarons

We need pace and creativity to get the best out of mitrovic. Use cisse as super sub. He’s better as an impact player anyway.

• 6 tomellifred360 // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Mrs Woodman will be a very happy woman. She gets to go to London, while son Freddie will only be an hours drive away in Crawley!

• 7 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:04 AM

Not bothered if he goes
    In my eyes watching the TOON our keepers have went back.

Like to see a coach that works on our keepers commanding the six yard box, coming for corners, distributing the – throwing passing out instead of hoofing it.

Maybe get PAV as coach if he has done his badges

• 8 Jib // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:04 AM

I think the club may be moving away from the French connection.
    Macca mentioned a leadership group that seemed to be the frenchies in the main.
    This can create a split squad
    I can visualise Gouffran Riviere Obertan Cabella and even Sissoko going down the road , not all immediately but over the next few windows , in which case I don’t think we are finished this window.

• 9 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:06 AM

Colo and Taylor @ CB I’m assuming wor Al?

• 10 Whumpie // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:06 AM

Jib – continuing from last thread as one has to on here – how do you see it then? Do you think we have the defenders in our squad to keep out the top teams for a season? For that matter do you think signing four players – none with PL experience – is a reasonable haul for a team that scraped survival and hasn’t strengthened in three windows?

• 11 Rotonda heights // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:06 AM

Woo hoo, just another charmless oaf like carver gone.

• 12 firebug666 // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:06 AM

You are correct, I read yesterday that Eric Steele had turned us down.

• 13 Rotonda heights // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:07 AM

Would love pav back here

• 14 Jamseyd24 // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:07 AM

Do you seriously believe we are not finished in this window? Do you mean players going out, coming in or both?? Can you see Ashley spending another 20+ million?

• 15 hibbit // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:09 AM

very poor coach not one of keepers has improved the quicker he is gone the better…….steve harper for me

• 16 firebug666 // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:09 AM

Apparently he is on the short list, I read that yesterday too.

• 17 hibbit // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:10 AM

eric steele has just started a new job with the fa

• 18 Rotonda heights // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:10 AM

one alan

i think a lot of people would like a front 3 of perez, mitro and aarons. not sure sm is brave enough to do it though.

At the back wouldn’t mind seeing Colo as sweeper behind MBemba and Lascelles in a 343.

• 19 toon kk // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:11 AM

He may have been a poor coach but so were most of the players he was coaching.

• 20 firebug666 // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:13 AM

Steve Harper is not ready yet, he tweeted yesterday that he is not finished playing yet, although he has just completed his A Licence.

He also tweeted on the coaching job… “If Carlsberg did football jobs………….”

So who knows.

• 21 EllaGuru // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:14 AM

I would love it if we played that front 3!

Not so sure about the back 3 however. I would rather stick with a fixed back 4, start with Colo and Mbemba. Once we get Mbemba bedded in, we can look to either blood Lascelles or get in another proven CB to replace Colo

• 22 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:16 AM

Pav wrote in the Chron a couple of weeks ago he’d love to do the job but just now is not the right time. Be a very popular choice no doubt.

• 23 Rotonda heights // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:16 AM

don’t think we can knock the 3 quality signings we’ve made, all of whom have CL experience. most signings are foreign for all clubs these days given the stupid inflated english prices. Some will hit the ground running, others won’t. Same’s true of english players switching pl clubs.

Rutiger, matip, n’kolou, abdennour, veltman, dragovic, dunk, none will have pl experience but I’d take them over saylor and willo any day.

• 24 firebug666 // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:19 AM

Do you not think we will have to hold on to the likes of Williamson, and Taylor, as we have to have a number of English, or home grown players in the squad?

• 25 hibbit // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:20 AM

in my eyes still one coach to go peter beardsley possible the worst coach every at newcastle great player not many better but cannot get his message across to the kids ……. just living on the past useless

• 26 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:20 AM

Rotonda@18 – have you watched Lascelles in the pre-season matches – he’s miles off being ready for the PL.

• 27 Jib // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:21 AM

Sorry I wasn’t being rude , I got involved chasing grey squirrels off of me bird table.
    In short I don’t think we are finished spending.

• 28 the broons // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:21 AM

get pav in!

• 29 hibbit // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:23 AM

firebug…..not only do we need to hold on to them we might have to play them

• 30 Jib // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:23 AM

Pavel is a geordie

• 31 Jamseyd24 // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:24 AM

The overrated Frenchman

Lascelles must have something about him, I am yet to see him play, but was he not invited to train with the England squad a few times last yr???

• 32 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:24 AM

Agree completely. Should be groomed to take over the Bob Moncur role. Keep him well away from the training ground but respect his place in the NUFC scheme of things.

• 33 EllaGuru // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:25 AM

Is that Pavel Srnicek you are referring to?

• 34 RolandoOverhead // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Only way we’ll get another centre half is if Colombia plays and breaks down again on Saturday.

• 35 Rotonda heights // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:26 AM

krul who i really rated has dramatically gone backwards under woodman, elliot is nearly as fat as woodman and as for alnwick has anyone ever been so under prepared.

KK you aways blame the players but getting shot of carver, stone and woodman is absolutely fantastic for the club to develop players. Those 3 aren’t even league 1 standard coaches.

• 36 firebug666 // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:27 AM

I know mate, we need some more English players in the development squad, then we can get rid of the dead wood.

I think of the 25 man squad 8 have to be home grown, not 100% on that. I think Krul counts as home grown and he came through the academy.

Someone will correct me if I got it wrong.

• 37 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:28 AM

Jamsey – yes that’s true, but he is obviously not up to PL speed yet from what I’ve seen (on TV) and been told.

• 38 Jib // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:28 AM

Thats who everyone is referring to as Woodman’s replacement

• 39 Rotonda heights // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:30 AM

over rated

I think with a sweeper like Colo behind him as insurance lascelles would be ok while he found his feet. Otherwise what was the point buying him. How do you get experience if you don’t play games. rather him than willo or saylor

• 40 EllaGuru // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:31 AM

Thanks. Is he still living in the North East? He seems to have a huge affinity with the area!

• 41 Alec // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:31 AM

in regards to this summers transfer dealings, I think myself along with the vast majority of Newcastle fans are happy with who we have signed and although we need maybe another 2 players in, I can’t see there being many more, if any first team signings.

Our defence is crying out for an upgrade, but realistically Colo, Saylor and Willo can do a job for us this season. All 3 are out of contract next summer, and I think going along with Macca’s 3 window plan, that the plan is to retain these three for this season and let them all go next summer. That would leave us next summer with a defence of Janmaat, Lascelles, Mbemba, Dummett/Haidara as a starting option which isn’t all that bad, is just lacking depth.

I think the plan was always sign one defender in this window, and then either one in January and next summer, or two next summer to replace the three that will be leaving. I am cautiously optimistic for this season, and I really do think that the fat man might have turned a corner in regards to his ownership of the football club. I think the best thing for us to do would be to allow Macca to get on with his job, and give him the three windows he’s been talking about before we can judge him too harshly.

• 42 toonincheek // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:38 AM

Alec – Long time reader, new poster?

• 43 mickalfas // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:39 AM

Good point,but I’d be amazed if all three would be allowed to go for free next year
    Still think 1or 2 will leave now,or hope may be a better word,or at least 1 now and 1 in January
    Hopefully to be replaced straight away

• 44 Alec // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Toonincheek, very long time reader and although not a first time poster, it has been a while since I posted.

• 45 Dingo†® // Jul 31, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Jib @ 8

Funny you should say that….. I thought there looked like a french/rest of squad divide in the 24/7 videos the club has been releasing… i was hoping that it was bad editing.

• 46 Dingo†® // Jul 31, 2015 at 10:15 AM

Typically Dutch people speak 3 different languages… Dutch, French and English (sometimes more Spanish and German). I hope the captaincy will be a dutchie so he can galvanise the lads on the pitch.

• 47 The overrated Frenchman // Jul 31, 2015 at 10:33 AM

de Jong would be my choice as captain, despite the few games he has played. He has been in the club for a year now so it’s not as if he’s a newcomer.

previous post: Newcastle Likely To Announce Striker Signing Today