The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Goalkeeper Makes Confident Debut

9:28 am, Friday, July 31st, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

Tim Krul could have his hands full to stay as the Newcastle United number one goalkeeper, but that challenge may not come from new signing Karl Darlow – but from 18 year-old Freddie Woodman, who is on loan at Crawley Town for six months, and the youngster made his debt for them on Wednesday night against non-league team Nuneaton.

Crawley’s Keeper Freddie Woodman seen during the pre season friendly between Nuneaton Town and Crawley Town at Liberty Way in Nuneaton. July 29, 2015. James Boardman / TELEPHOTO IMAGES 07967642437

Freddie Woodman – in action for Crawley Town

Woodman put in a confident performance in the game  and kept a clean sheet in the 3-0 away win.

Freddie seemed pleased with things as he tweeted this after the game:

Crawley Town manager Mark Yates was also pleased with Freddie:

“What Freddie did he did he did well. You can see he is a confident young man, I have been after him all summer and I’ve got him! There were one or two others after him, but we like him.¨

“I would like to thank Lee Charnley and everyone at Newcastle for allowing it to make it happen.¨

“The kid’s a great keeper and has got a tremendous future. The only way he’s going to get a start is in his first loan spell.”

Newcastle will still have three experienced goalkeepers at the club this season n Krul, Darlow and Elliot so if the top two goalkeepers – assumed to be Krul and Darlow – are injured like they were last season, we are  covered.

We are assuming Rob Elliot will stay at Newcastle, and if he is sent out on loan, it should be with the proviso that Newcastle can recall him in the event that Tim Krul and Karl Darlow are both injured.

One of the many errors made last season by the club was not to have three experienced goalkeepers in the squad, and young Jak Alnwick had to play for eight games.

Freddie will be on loan until January, but if all goes well he could possibly stay at Crawley, just south of London,  for the whole season.

Then next summer the England U19 goalkeeper could be challenging for the number one jersey at Newcastle – he’s already that good,  as we saw with his accomplished performances in America.

Tags: Freddie Woodman · International News · Loan Moves · Newcastle News · Other News · Pre-season

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 Alec // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:36 AM

Repost:

In regards to this summers transfer dealings, I think myself along with the vast majority of Newcastle fans are happy with who we have signed and although we need maybe another 2 players in, I can’t see there being many more, if any first team signings.

Our defence is crying out for an upgrade, but realistically Colo, Saylor and Willo can do a job for us this season. All 3 are out of contract next summer, and I think going along with Macca’s 3 window plan, that the plan is to retain these three for this season and let them all go next summer. That would leave us next summer with a defence of Janmaat, Lascelles, Mbemba, Dummett/Haidara as a starting option which isn’t all that bad, is just lacking depth.

I think the plan was always sign one defender in this window, and then either one in January and next summer, or two next summer to replace the three that will be leaving. I am cautiously optimistic for this season, and I really do think that the fat man might have turned a corner in regards to his ownership of the football club. I think the best thing for us to do would be to allow Macca to get on with his job, and give him the three windows he’s been talking about before we can judge him too harshly.

• 2 toonincheek // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Re-post-
    Alec – Long time reader, new poster?

• 3 Jib // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:44 AM

Ella
    I think he’s Sparta Prague’s goalkeeping coach at the mo

• 4 Whumpie // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:46 AM

That makes sense Alec; I was always du ious about how much any club ciuld achieve in one window having let things slide so far. My preference would have been another defender over a midfielder but I think the gaffer sees the need for entertainment as much as immediate results so perhaps it is a longer-term plan.
    My hope is that with Ashley not getting his way at Rangers he’ll revert to Plan A and try to get better results – and hence advertising – with NUFC. He may even start to enjoy it again; miracles happen..

• 5 melt // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:48 AM

I love Freddie Woodman, seems like such a nice kid. Gunna be a while till Timmy TIMMY KRUL leaves the posts though lad, better look next decade.

• 6 Whumpie // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:48 AM

The big test will be the Cabaye scenario. If (please!) we are in contention for a Euro spot come January, will the club sell their best player to take us away from that potential expenditure again? Or will it push on?

• 7 ROSHAN MAGPIE // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:48 AM

finally I will be supporting my team to win last season was such a nightmare that every time we played I was hoping us to concede and lose badly so we can remove pardew first then carver it went so bad that I even wanted us to get relegated just to get rid of ashley but these transfer business has changed everything for me I’m so happy to support my team to win once again can’t wait for the start of the season

• 8 Alec // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:51 AM

Toonincheek – long time reader and although not a first time poster, has been a number of years since my last post.

Whumpie – Although a second defender would have probably been the more popular decision, with 4 first team defenders now on the books and the struggles in trying to shift Colo, Saylor and Willo, and Lascelles to think about for his development, the only way that would happen I think is if someone came in and bought one of the three, even then MA and Charnley might think that Lascelles would be a decent enough fourth choice with Satka and Good as further back ups.

• 9 why oh why // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:53 AM

I can’t wait to get started
    Shame I’m on holiday for the Southampton game
    So the golden ticket goes to my mate
    I think we will really push on
    Signings I think are the best we’ve made in a long time
    Ivan toney .if we get him as stated in the press will be a great addition this lad can play!
    He has everything to be a top quality player
    Get one or two more and then we’re cooking

• 10 beermonkey // Jul 31, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Hopefully bigi satka and others will get loan move

Is kemen still with us or has he gone

Also do we need Abeid or should he go back out onloan

• 11 melt // Jul 31, 2015 at 10:19 AM

I’m in favour of keeping Abeid. It’s squad players like that who make the difference in the long run.

• 12 OneAlanShearer // Jul 31, 2015 at 10:35 AM

I honestly think there is more urgency needed regarding the defence. Saylor injury prone so count him out. Willo let’s just count him out. Colo is too old now respectfully. Lascelles looks slow. That leaves Dummett coming back from injury. Only Mbemba looks the real deal and he needs to stay match fit or we have last season’s defence.

I they don’t buy 3 key players in this window then nothing has changed as mark my words we ARE 3 players short. Even if those are loans with a fee agreed we still NEED them now.

This is not greed it’s reality. 3 injuries and wave goodbye to the premier league.

Those around us are all strengthening.

People assume Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford will struggle.

Norwich and Bournemouth have very talented managers and some good players. If they play wisely they may surprise a few teams.

Then there is villa who have lost key players but don’t underestimate their new signings.

They are all buying…Whilst we have to be wise in our recruitment we are going into the new season as we have done since Ashley arrived ….With gaps and a lack of depth in the squad.

We need to get 3 key players not want to…need to.

• 13 Moonraker15 // Jul 31, 2015 at 10:46 AM

I think I agree we have to wait and see how the 3 main signings fit in with the new way of playing and I think we’ll find out more once the season starts.

One thing is certain the squad is gonna be stronger than last season and we even have some wriggle room to sign someone else before 1st of September, once the first team has shown what it can or can’t do.

The best part is that we now know we have a coaching team that gives us confidence and to be honest that is, to coin a phrase “like new signings” !

Looking forward now to a full house against Southampton and that will be a good test!

• 14 Spotlight Kid // Jul 31, 2015 at 11:52 AM

OAS@12 is correct. Alec@1 needs to remove the rose tinted glasses. The current central defence is well below Prem standard, and has been steadily regressing since it was used during the CH era promotion season. It nearly sent the team down again last season

Taylor is both injury and error prone (and it’s always the same errors), Willo is simply a liability, and Colo is a slo-mo shadow if his imperious best (when he isn’t injured). Get rid of all 3, no ifs no buts.

With this central defence to call on the team will do well to be above the drop zone by October – and lack of confidence will quickly undo SM’s efforts elsewhere if the season starts badly.

Ancient Chinese proverb: “a half fixed roof will still leak when it rains”

previous post: It’s Soon To Be All Change With The Coaching Staff