The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Armstrong Praised By Manager On His Coventry Debut

7:08 pm, Saturday, August 1st, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

Adam Armstrong made his debut for Coventry City against Oxford this afternoon, but the game finished in a 0-0 draw.

The 18 year-old Newcastle and England U19 striker drew praise from manager Tony Mobray after the game, although he was disappointed with the overall form of his side, who were well contained by Oxford.

adam armstrong coventry against oxford

Adam Armstrong in action against Oxford today

Mobray was disappointed with the result but Oxford were well organized and this is what Tony told the Coventry Telegraph:

“We were poor – very poor!” “It was an eye-opener for us because it shows how far away we are.”

“We’ve played well in some of our games and perhaps not scored the goals we warranted but today we got a bit of a lesson from Oxford.”

“You give them some credit because they were very organised, very disciplined – they denied us space to pass and we didn’t really have a Plan B.”

Adam showed some flashes of his talent in the game, and the Coventry manager seemed pleased with what he had seen of Adam after the Geordie lad had only minimal training with the rest of the Coventry players.

This is what Toby said after the game:

“He has only been on the training ground for a day but you could see how sharp he is round the box.”

“But we can’t hang everything on an 18 year boy. We need more ammunition up front and I’m pretty sure the right people will come along to help out the team, but perhaps not before the season starts.”

Adam Armstrong will get a lot of first team games during his six month loan spell at Coventry, and it’s a big opportunity for the lad from Chapel House estate in Newcastle.

It will be interesting to see how many goals he can bang in for the Sky Blues before January rolls around.

Tags: Adam Armstrong · Loan Moves · Match Reports · Newcastle News · Other News · Pre-season

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Aug 1, 2015 at 7:10 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Jib // Aug 1, 2015 at 7:12 PM

I like Tony Mowbray
    A real no shyte football man who tells it like it is.
    Coventry will do well with him

• 3 Jib // Aug 1, 2015 at 7:14 PM

All together now
    Andy Mac – is a spack – do da – do da

• 4 ToonFromLeeds // Aug 1, 2015 at 7:14 PM

my eyesight is fine and Cisse looked appalling

• 5 cestriasteve // Aug 1, 2015 at 7:19 PM

Would you take Mogga Mowbray as our centre half when he was at his peak?

• 6 Jib // Aug 1, 2015 at 7:20 PM

I would take you at your peak

• 7 Jack // Aug 1, 2015 at 7:22 PM

Jib stop being a wum

• 8 SUTTY1978 // Aug 1, 2015 at 7:27 PM

Funny how new snow has been full of stories about us and Austin for 2 months and the first time someone from the club makes a public statement about it there’s no articles referencing it. I’m certain that if McLoven had said we were interested a 100 stories would have popped up within an hour

• 9 cestriasteve // Aug 1, 2015 at 7:29 PM

Jib, honest mate I was the biggest whinger known to man, a certain Paul Gascoigne playing for heathfield went round me 3 times to score and on the 3rd time he says to me fish supper. I collar him after the game and says “how fatty, what the fish super lark?” He says ” I went round you so easy I could have been eating a bag of fish and chips as I went past” everyone me including started laughing our heads off!!

• 10 SUTTY1978 // Aug 1, 2015 at 7:29 PM

Even Ed doesn’t want to run a story on it

• 11 beermonkey // Aug 1, 2015 at 7:29 PM

how you feeling now ??

did u see the game

first preseason game I watched, lots of improvements

• 12 Mister Tuff // Aug 1, 2015 at 7:32 PM

Jib -you horrible clown – the use of the word spack (obviously short for spastic) is now considered an offensive term.
    Really not surprised you have again reverted to type.

• 13 hibbit // Aug 1, 2015 at 7:32 PM

we are in for a big shock next week not many reading this team right 1 defend no leader people talking about improvement where ?? borussia played the full game at there pace never had to move up a gear ….calling willo when 10 game taylor was ever bit as bad ….oberton a footballer never …pawl told me last week that i know nothing about the modern game well what i do know if you defend like that there’s only one way your going

• 14 beattie25 // Aug 1, 2015 at 7:36 PM

So we confirm that we are not in for Austin and that we don’t expect anyone in before the first game.

Does anyone on here get the sense that you have been strung along by Ashley this entire time?

The players we have signed have come using the money from the players we have sold recently and the £77 million in Premier League money sits unmolested.

It will be an interesting month. So far I have failed to shake off the feeling that McClaren is another mouth piece.

I never wish defeat on NUFC but a weird part of me would like to see Southampton destroy us next week so the reality of our situation is shown in the light of day of real competitive football.

We are under strength, massively lack quality and are heading for another poor season unless Ashley does put us in a position to ‘make our own luck’.

At this moment in time we will be lucky to get anything next week. Never mind bolting a horse onto the cart, the cart hasn’t even got wheels yet.

previous post: Newcastle Go Back In For Top Striker But Is That The Priority?

next post: McClaren Pleased With Performance But Still Lots To Do