The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Mbemba – It Was A Great Day And I Was Really Proud….

10:23 pm, Sunday, August 2nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 19 Comments

We have made three good signings in the summer so far, but we are still short of a top center-back and if along with Wijnaldum, Mitrovic and Mbemba we had brought in another center-back – such as Joel Matip of Schalke as one example – that would have been the minimum requirements for this summer.

That’s because we would have brought in two center-backs to bolster our weakest position and one striker in – and if Papiss Cisse is to stay – that’s all we probably needed since we also have young Ayoze Perez and Emmanuel Riviere.

chancel mbemba Borussia+Moenchengladbach+Iml0y_hDlEKl

Chancel Mbemba in action yesterday

Newcastle also have Siem de Jong and Rolando Aarons fit again – and they will be like new signings for us – and they can score goals – and so can new singing Gini Wijnaldum.

But it’s still the defense that is a worry for the upcoming Southampton game – and that’s not good after we have conceded 190 goals in our previous three seasons in the Premier League, and that’s worse than any other club over those three years.

It doesn’t take a genius to know where our biggest weakness is.

We are already taking a liking to new signing Chancel Mbemba, and he looked solid at right back yesterday, and he seems such a personable young man.

This is what he has said on the Newcastle web-site today about the game:

“It was a great day and I was really proud to hear the crowd clapping and shouting my name.” “I was glad to be able to get out onto the pitch and help the team.”

“I have only ever played there (right-back) once before, for Anderlecht, and never since, but I am happy to play anywhere the coach and team need me to.”  “I can’t tell you how I did though – it is up to the coaches and the fans to tell you that.”

“The team played quite well and we managed the first half pretty well. However, in football when you get chances you have to take them and maybe we missed a few of our opportunities.”

“Monchengladbach had one chance and took it. That was the difference and I know we will work hard this week to put that right.” “But we can take confidence from our performance against a team who will be playing in the Champions League.”

“The Premier League season is just around the corner and we went out there and played well against a very good side. It has given us confidence to take into next weekend.”

“I wasn’t too surprised because everyone I have spoken to since arriving here has told me what the atmosphere and noise is like when the stadium gets going,”

“This was just a friendly match and obviously wasn’t full but hopefully in the first game of the season we will see a full stadium with everyone really behind us, and that will be important to drive us on as a team.”

It will be interesting to see if Steve McClaren starts Chancel on Sunday – it’s probably best to have him in the starting line-up,  and he may quickly help to close those gaps in the Newcastle defense.

But apart from the giveaway goal yesterday, the back four didn’t look too bad – not good – but not too bad either.

It’s just great to have Chancel on board at Newcastle United.

Tags: Chancel Mbemba · Interview · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Premier League

19 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Aug 2, 2015 at 10:25 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Tsunki // Aug 2, 2015 at 10:27 PM

And here I am in the future jack – what did I tell you? 🙂

• 3 Jack // Aug 2, 2015 at 10:27 PM

Great words, future captain?

• 4 Tsunki // Aug 2, 2015 at 10:33 PM

Think we have a few contenders for future captain. I only know who it shouldn’t be. And he has curly hair too.

• 5 Jack // Aug 2, 2015 at 10:35 PM

• 6 Belfast // Aug 2, 2015 at 10:36 PM

Attack Toon Attack!

• 7 Belfast // Aug 2, 2015 at 10:38 PM

*Dennis twice blog countdown*
    *7 days*

• 8 Jack // Aug 2, 2015 at 10:38 PM

Belfast you missed off an ‘attack’.

• 9 Belfast // Aug 2, 2015 at 10:43 PM

Apologies Dennis

Attack toon Attack Attack

• 10 Tsunki // Aug 2, 2015 at 10:45 PM

• 11 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 2, 2015 at 10:47 PM

i hope we make at least one signing this week

• 12 Belfast // Aug 2, 2015 at 10:50 PM

I see Coloccini is now staying.

• 13 Our Toon // Aug 2, 2015 at 10:51 PM

Sing in the corner

On the previous thread you said those who want the celtic cb have dismissed Vuckic because of the league he’s played in. Yes they both played in Scotland last season Rangers are in league 1 though and celtic in premier. The difference in standard is big, Celtic played in the Champions League, Rangers played in….A league which is worse than the teams we have in league 1 over here!!

• 14 Our Toon // Aug 2, 2015 at 10:51 PM

We need a CB, FB cover and a winger (minimum)

• 15 beermonkey // Aug 2, 2015 at 10:55 PM

take a chancel

u think we will make more signings

• 16 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 2, 2015 at 11:00 PM

Beermoney I hope so but I’m not holding my breath

• 17 beermonkey // Aug 2, 2015 at 11:02 PM

take a chancel

I think we will see maybe 2 3 for the development squad and that will be it

• 18 firebug666 // Aug 2, 2015 at 11:23 PM

It’s hard to say which direction the club is heading at the moment, are we going forward or backward?

Without another CB, and without another game plan other than playing ten yards higher up the pitch and pressing more I think we are going to ship just as many goals as the previous seasons, while we are still struggling to score at the other end.

It’s good that we have new staff in, and three new players to freshen up this squad, but the squad is still lacking in quality, passion, pride etc.

Saturday for me was a poor showing from the team, I just hope we have more about us on Sunday. Look good going forward, but lacking goals, looked shocking at the back, but no surprises there.

Maybe were just not moving in either direction, more of the same in a survival season.

• 19 will die for the toon army // Aug 2, 2015 at 11:33 PM

It sums it up its a Colo – Mbemba partnership. S.Taylor and Durmett as back up.

previous post: This Could Be Newcastle’s Back Four For First Few Games