Brinkmanship Continues At Newcastle

Newcastle United target Charlie Austin will line up against Charlton Athletic this weekend if he is fit,  and by playing he could get injured and risk his big move – probably to Newcastle United before the end of the month.

But with QPR not getting any bids that have been acceptable to them for Charlie they are ready to go ahead and play their two transfer targets – Charlie Austin and Leroy Fer in the Championship – starting this Saturday at Charlton.

charlie austin qpr

Charlie Austin – could play on Saturday

QPR,  Newcastle and Charlie himself will all be hoping the big striker does not get injured, but QPR are the club that will lose most if he does pick up an injury and cannot be transferred this month.

If Charlie is not sold this month he could be put up for sale in January, but the fee will be a lot less than £15M, because next summer he will become a free agent and will leave QPR for nothing.

QPR head coach Chris Ramsey is insisting the London club want the full amount for their striker:

“I think we’ve had a couple of bids but they’ve not been the right amount of money that we value a player of his quality.”  “If we get the right offer, he won’t be here which is a shame but economics are economics. If he’s fit he’ll be playing for QPR.”

Charlie was injured and couldn’t play in the 1-1 draw with Atalanta on Sunday, but he has still trained the last couple of days, so he is likely to be ready to play on Saturday.

So maybe before Saturday Newcastle could make a move and see if QPR will sell for less than£15M – otherwise the brinkmanship will continue, and everybody has to hope Charlie doesn’t get injured.

Newcastle have played this kind of game before in the transfer market – maybe we can even be successful this time?

On Monday 31st August?

• geordie157

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:35 PM

@ Offkey

in relation to your post below, apart from being on it, the other thing I noticed it was the blog pre “welshie”

Did we do predictions for this season? for 13-14 there was this

ToonDarnSarf // May 20, 2014 at 2:46 PM

And if we award a winner for each accurate prediction…the winners are…

magicbus
    Transfer Sage
    DokToon

Those just behind were:
    check the toastie
    toonarmydownsouth
    ToonDownSouth
    geordie157
    martoon
    cbtoon82
    Noah Another Ameobi

And those who got absolutely nothing right…
    Barton
    jayphoto
    Sazzer

• Belfast

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:35 PM

Austin stories out!

• the broons

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:40 PM

belfast

you’re joking arent you mate, that would automatically half ed’s articles per day!

• Average_Contents

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:44 PM

Master multiples mates oot 😛

• Average_Contents

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:44 PM

Oh, slug oot.

• lochinvar

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:48 PM

If Sissoko goes to Man City then that has to be minimum £30 million ( ONO ) in the bank thanks. They have had a dreadful pre-season and must now be worried that they can’t compete with the likes of Arsenal this season. Therefore they buy their way back and have the money to do so.
    Please pay at the counter on your way out, thank you.
    Service charge not included.

On another matter…West Hams Valencia doesn’t need an op and is out for about (only) 10-12 weeks so doubt they will pay for Austin to cover that short time.
    West Ham co-chairman David Gold has said the club are looking to make a signing to cover Valencia’s absence, with Atletico Madrid’s Raul Jimenez a reported target.
    So if City pay up for Sissoko then not only can we go and get Austin but have covered the outlay on the players already bought in. Thats good business if it happens.

• Belfast

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:49 PM

Hahaha you’re right mate. The place wouldn’t be the same If we weren’t stalking Charlie Austin daily.

• Sazzer

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:50 PM

Offkey
    Yes let’s do it. This year we are definetly going to win something.

• Belfast

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:53 PM

Geordie157 Welshie turned up that season. I remember it because half the blog boycotted the evenings on here to avoid him haha

• ronjohno

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:54 PM

PLEASE PLEASE give the Austin Saga a rest.
    It is reaching the stage where WHO THE F CARES

• Belfast

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:57 PM

Ed has got an Austin fetish ron.

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:57 PM

Loch,

Hopefully we will see a little bidding war between City and Liverpool. That’s all great so long as we see it pumped back into the team.

Cisse sold and out, Austin in for me also.

• sing in the corner

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:59 PM

Imagine a story involving Austin and Cabaye..? Ed in raptures!

• Graeme

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:05 PM

If we can bank £30 mill for Sissoko – most unlikely – please can we have the other top CB we have waited 3 years for, plus a genuine LB to replace Santon.

Only then should a bid for Austin be considered. We would have a vastly improved team on last season, even without Charlie!!!

• Jib

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:10 PM

Sky Sports News keep showing Leroy Fer’s 30 metre screamer last season.
    Guess who that was against 🙁

• Jib

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:13 PM

I have a feeling that all our defenders have been told they are to be allowed until the Winter widow to prove themselves.

• cyprus

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:14 PM

If Sissoko leaves I’m withdrawing my CL football – soon prediction.

• Sazzer

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:16 PM

I would offer WBA one or two or three of Cisse, Tiote and Gouffran to reduce fee for Berahino and beat out the competition.

• jimmysmith

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:23 PM

Paper talk. Charlie Austin may just as easily be happy to see his contract out and the negotiate Im sure better personal terms with a larger group of suitors. 15 mill, even 13 mill is too much for a player with only a year on his contract and only one good top flight season to recommend him, but probably not too Newcastle, because this is perhaps the only realistic chance we have of getting him. We need him more than others, and transfer fees are of course relative. I hope we get him, but as in any transfer dealing, there’s a number of reasons why it might not get done.

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:25 PM

I think the sale of Sissoko should cover Austin’s price tag. Don’t think NUFC want to pay the 15 though.

Add a defender and winger and I’ll be pleased I think.

Not quite happy with Haidara starting at LB, could be an upgrade had I think. Danny Rose would be my choice.

I think we could be done at CB but would love to see another brought in if possible.

• Derek

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:32 PM

In other news – What did Charlie Austin have for breakfast today?

• jimmysmith

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:32 PM

Champions League! Even I, eternally hopeful about our potential fortunes, even under this most pragmatic of owners, raised an eyebrow at that. But yes, we need to hold on to the likes of Sissoko to have even a glimmer of hope.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:44 PM

Would you believe it. Tino Asprilla, the hero against Barcelona, has got his horse, Lucas, back. Perhaps Ashley’s horse will now make an appearance? You couldn’t make it up.

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:59 PM

Anything above tenth would be a miracle for me. Too much dead wood looks to be staying, new players bedding in, key players sold, change of management.

Saying that, we could pull off another 5th place if we are lucky with injuries 😉

Roll on the end of the window so we can see where we stand. Very quiet at the minute though, I hope that is a good thing.

• Blofal

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:03 AM

I’m not convinced about the stories regarding Sissoko.

He needs regular playing time to be selected for France in the Euros. He would possibly just sit on the bench at City and completely blow his chances.

And despite the past failings of our management I do not believe they would shoot themselves in the foot and sell a key player without having someone to replace him. Sissoko clearly will be playing out on the right wing/midfield. And it appears Obertan is the backup for that position which isn’t too bad. We have Gini, De Jong, Colback and Anita to play more centrally.

I can see Sissoko leaving if we bring in another right sided player like Thauvin. But until that happens I don’t think he is going anywhere.

• will die for the toon army

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:10 AM

Austin story not again

• jimmysmith

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:18 AM

Notice the Guardian writers have us down for 14th. Surely thats uninformed. Three good players and a new improved coaching set up, to a squad that pardew had playing well before his untimely departure suggests top ten certainly. I’ll be disappointed if we don’t finish around eighth. Although this is of course Newcastle, Champions of shooting ourselves in the foot if nothing else, but really we do have some exciting talent on the books.

• Take a Chancel on me

18th Crystal Palace
    19th Watford
    20th Sunderland

• Blofal

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:31 AM

@ jimmysmith

I wouldn’t be surprised if we finish 14th. We have strengthened yes but we were woeful last season and I feel that if we only end up bringing in 3 players this window it just brings us level with teams like Stoke, Aston Villa, WBA, Crystal Palace etc.

Personally I think Sunderland are going to be relegated.

Don’t forget our first 8 fixtures are terrible and our team is still learning to play McClaren’s system. If we lose a good chunk of those games the pressure will build, the fans will turn on the club again and we could possibly have a repeat of last year.

• Take a Chancel on me

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:33 AM

I reckon we will get a well overdue win against Southampton. 2-1 to the toon for me

• expatmag

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:41 AM

I see Mr. TUFF is finally getting his come uppance on here……lol

Long may it last as he is really a SMB from Penshaw… .get in

• expatmag

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:43 AM

TP

Sporting capital for darts dominoes and dwarf throwing…….Heard Peter Dinklage was a fan…lol

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:50 AM

Dwarf throwing! Pmsl

• Mister Tuff

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:54 AM

expat – See you’ve been let out the huffy room by the missus.
    Me getting a come uppance – I don’t think so. Speaking against the blog scumbags spewing their bile and slithering snakes spitting their venom is an honourable undertaking for the good of the majority.
    I still remember years ago playing for the club Tiberius on a Sunday morning -you turned up in the Toon with a Sunderland sports bag containing a Sunderland strip – I was embarassed.

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:55 AM

Blofal,

I think Wijnaldum is Sissoko’s replacement.

Aarons and Cabella on the flanks covered by the brilliant Obertan and Gouffran.

Pure guess work like. I think he was bought with the intention of replacing him though. Think we have held off selling until August.

• expatmag

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:05 AM

TUFF

As far as I remember, I never lowered myself to play at such a level.

You may also be mistaking my red adidas sports bag bought for me one xmas by uneducated or wilful grandparents as a similarity with goods from that lot down the road.

By the way, are you still president if the Charlie Hurley fan club?

On another note, picked up my flight tickets yesterday. I am hoping to get a ticket for the Watford or Chelsea game. Maybe we can catch up in Toon for a beer or two before or after a game?

Has C git my room ready yet?

• expatmag

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:09 AM

TP

Sounds like an Ashley plan. Spends the 34 million quid sitting in the bank and then sells a purple for 20 million just before the window closes citing not enough time for a replacement.

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:10 AM

€23 Dzeko to Roma.

That’s a proper bargain. He would of been lethal here.

Unsure of wages though.