The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Brinkmanship Continues At Newcastle

10:30 pm, Monday, August 3rd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 94 Comments

Newcastle United target Charlie Austin will line up against Charlton Athletic this weekend if he is fit,  and by playing he could get injured and risk his big move – probably to Newcastle United before the end of the month.

But with QPR not getting any bids that have been acceptable to them for Charlie they are ready to go ahead and play their two transfer targets – Charlie Austin and Leroy Fer in the Championship – starting this Saturday at Charlton.

charlie austin qpr

Charlie Austin – could play on Saturday

QPR,  Newcastle and Charlie himself will all be hoping the big striker does not get injured, but QPR are the club that will lose most if he does pick up an injury and cannot be transferred this month.

If Charlie is not sold this month he could be put up for sale in January, but the fee will be a lot less than £15M, because next summer he will become a free agent and will leave QPR for nothing.

QPR head coach Chris Ramsey is insisting the London club want the full amount for their striker:

“I think we’ve had a couple of bids but they’ve not been the right amount of money that we value a player of his quality.”  “If we get the right offer, he won’t be here which is a shame but economics are economics. If he’s fit he’ll be playing for QPR.”

Charlie was injured and couldn’t play in the 1-1 draw with Atalanta on Sunday, but he has still trained the last couple of days, so he is likely to be ready to play on Saturday.

So maybe before Saturday Newcastle could make a move and see if QPR will sell for less than£15M – otherwise the brinkmanship will continue, and everybody has to hope Charlie doesn’t get injured.

Newcastle have played this kind of game before in the transfer market – maybe we can even be successful this time?

On Monday 31st August?

Tags: Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

94 responses so far ↓

• 1 geordie157 // Aug 3, 2015 at 10:35 PM

@ Offkey

in relation to your post below, apart from being on it, the other thing I noticed it was the blog pre “welshie”

Did we do predictions for this season? for 13-14 there was this

ToonDarnSarf // May 20, 2014 at 2:46 PM

And if we award a winner for each accurate prediction…the winners are…

Transfer Sage

Those just behind were:
    check the toastie
    Noah Another Ameobi

And those who got absolutely nothing right…

• 2 Belfast // Aug 3, 2015 at 10:35 PM

Austin stories out!

• 3 the broons // Aug 3, 2015 at 10:40 PM

you’re joking arent you mate, that would automatically half ed’s articles per day!

• 4 Average_Contents // Aug 3, 2015 at 10:44 PM

Master multiples mates oot 😛

• 5 Average_Contents // Aug 3, 2015 at 10:44 PM

Oh, slug oot.

• 6 lochinvar // Aug 3, 2015 at 10:48 PM

If Sissoko goes to Man City then that has to be minimum £30 million ( ONO ) in the bank thanks. They have had a dreadful pre-season and must now be worried that they can’t compete with the likes of Arsenal this season. Therefore they buy their way back and have the money to do so.
    Please pay at the counter on your way out, thank you.
    Service charge not included.

On another matter…West Hams Valencia doesn’t need an op and is out for about (only) 10-12 weeks so doubt they will pay for Austin to cover that short time.
    West Ham co-chairman David Gold has said the club are looking to make a signing to cover Valencia’s absence, with Atletico Madrid’s Raul Jimenez a reported target.
    So if City pay up for Sissoko then not only can we go and get Austin but have covered the outlay on the players already bought in. Thats good business if it happens.

• 7 Belfast // Aug 3, 2015 at 10:49 PM

Hahaha you’re right mate. The place wouldn’t be the same If we weren’t stalking Charlie Austin daily.

• 8 Sazzer // Aug 3, 2015 at 10:50 PM

Yes let’s do it. This year we are definetly going to win something.

• 9 Belfast // Aug 3, 2015 at 10:53 PM

Geordie157 Welshie turned up that season. I remember it because half the blog boycotted the evenings on here to avoid him haha

• 10 ronjohno // Aug 3, 2015 at 10:54 PM

PLEASE PLEASE give the Austin Saga a rest.
    It is reaching the stage where WHO THE F CARES

• 11 Belfast // Aug 3, 2015 at 10:57 PM

Ed has got an Austin fetish ron.

• 12 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 3, 2015 at 10:57 PM

Hopefully we will see a little bidding war between City and Liverpool. That’s all great so long as we see it pumped back into the team.

Cisse sold and out, Austin in for me also.

• 13 sing in the corner // Aug 3, 2015 at 10:59 PM

Imagine a story involving Austin and Cabaye..? Ed in raptures!

• 14 Graeme // Aug 3, 2015 at 11:05 PM

If we can bank £30 mill for Sissoko – most unlikely – please can we have the other top CB we have waited 3 years for, plus a genuine LB to replace Santon.

Only then should a bid for Austin be considered. We would have a vastly improved team on last season, even without Charlie!!!

• 15 Jib // Aug 3, 2015 at 11:10 PM

Sky Sports News keep showing Leroy Fer’s 30 metre screamer last season.
    Guess who that was against 🙁

• 16 Jib // Aug 3, 2015 at 11:13 PM

I have a feeling that all our defenders have been told they are to be allowed until the Winter widow to prove themselves.

• 17 cyprus // Aug 3, 2015 at 11:14 PM

If Sissoko leaves I’m withdrawing my CL football – soon prediction.

• 18 Sazzer // Aug 3, 2015 at 11:16 PM

I would offer WBA one or two or three of Cisse, Tiote and Gouffran to reduce fee for Berahino and beat out the competition.

• 19 jimmysmith // Aug 3, 2015 at 11:23 PM

Paper talk. Charlie Austin may just as easily be happy to see his contract out and the negotiate Im sure better personal terms with a larger group of suitors. 15 mill, even 13 mill is too much for a player with only a year on his contract and only one good top flight season to recommend him, but probably not too Newcastle, because this is perhaps the only realistic chance we have of getting him. We need him more than others, and transfer fees are of course relative. I hope we get him, but as in any transfer dealing, there’s a number of reasons why it might not get done.

• 20 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 3, 2015 at 11:25 PM

I think the sale of Sissoko should cover Austin’s price tag. Don’t think NUFC want to pay the 15 though.

Add a defender and winger and I’ll be pleased I think.

Not quite happy with Haidara starting at LB, could be an upgrade had I think. Danny Rose would be my choice.

I think we could be done at CB but would love to see another brought in if possible.

• 21 Derek // Aug 3, 2015 at 11:32 PM

In other news – What did Charlie Austin have for breakfast today?

• 22 jimmysmith // Aug 3, 2015 at 11:32 PM

Champions League! Even I, eternally hopeful about our potential fortunes, even under this most pragmatic of owners, raised an eyebrow at that. But yes, we need to hold on to the likes of Sissoko to have even a glimmer of hope.

• 23 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 3, 2015 at 11:44 PM

Would you believe it. Tino Asprilla, the hero against Barcelona, has got his horse, Lucas, back. Perhaps Ashley’s horse will now make an appearance? You couldn’t make it up.

• 24 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 3, 2015 at 11:59 PM

Anything above tenth would be a miracle for me. Too much dead wood looks to be staying, new players bedding in, key players sold, change of management.

Saying that, we could pull off another 5th place if we are lucky with injuries 😉

Roll on the end of the window so we can see where we stand. Very quiet at the minute though, I hope that is a good thing.

• 25 Blofal // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:03 AM

I’m not convinced about the stories regarding Sissoko.

He needs regular playing time to be selected for France in the Euros. He would possibly just sit on the bench at City and completely blow his chances.

And despite the past failings of our management I do not believe they would shoot themselves in the foot and sell a key player without having someone to replace him. Sissoko clearly will be playing out on the right wing/midfield. And it appears Obertan is the backup for that position which isn’t too bad. We have Gini, De Jong, Colback and Anita to play more centrally.

I can see Sissoko leaving if we bring in another right sided player like Thauvin. But until that happens I don’t think he is going anywhere.

• 26 will die for the toon army // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:10 AM

Austin story not again

• 27 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:12 AM

What a pillock

• 28 jimmysmith // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:18 AM

Notice the Guardian writers have us down for 14th. Surely thats uninformed. Three good players and a new improved coaching set up, to a squad that pardew had playing well before his untimely departure suggests top ten certainly. I’ll be disappointed if we don’t finish around eighth. Although this is of course Newcastle, Champions of shooting ourselves in the foot if nothing else, but really we do have some exciting talent on the books.

• 29 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:27 AM

17th Aston Villa
    18th Crystal Palace
    19th Watford
    20th Sunderland

• 30 Blofal // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:31 AM

@ jimmysmith

I wouldn’t be surprised if we finish 14th. We have strengthened yes but we were woeful last season and I feel that if we only end up bringing in 3 players this window it just brings us level with teams like Stoke, Aston Villa, WBA, Crystal Palace etc.

Personally I think Sunderland are going to be relegated.

Don’t forget our first 8 fixtures are terrible and our team is still learning to play McClaren’s system. If we lose a good chunk of those games the pressure will build, the fans will turn on the club again and we could possibly have a repeat of last year.

• 31 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:33 AM

I reckon we will get a well overdue win against Southampton. 2-1 to the toon for me

• 32 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:27 AM

Deary me..

• 33 expatmag // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:41 AM

I see Mr. TUFF is finally getting his come uppance on here……lol

Long may it last as he is really a SMB from Penshaw… .get in

• 34 expatmag // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:43 AM

Sporting capital for darts dominoes and dwarf throwing…….Heard Peter Dinklage was a fan…lol

• 35 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:50 AM

Dwarf throwing! Pmsl

• 36 Mister Tuff // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:54 AM

expat – See you’ve been let out the huffy room by the missus.
    Me getting a come uppance – I don’t think so. Speaking against the blog scumbags spewing their bile and slithering snakes spitting their venom is an honourable undertaking for the good of the majority.
    I still remember years ago playing for the club Tiberius on a Sunday morning -you turned up in the Toon with a Sunderland sports bag containing a Sunderland strip – I was embarassed.

• 37 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:55 AM

I think Wijnaldum is Sissoko’s replacement.

Aarons and Cabella on the flanks covered by the brilliant Obertan and Gouffran.

Pure guess work like. I think he was bought with the intention of replacing him though. Think we have held off selling until August.

• 38 expatmag // Aug 4, 2015 at 2:05 AM

As far as I remember, I never lowered myself to play at such a level.

You may also be mistaking my red adidas sports bag bought for me one xmas by uneducated or wilful grandparents as a similarity with goods from that lot down the road.

By the way, are you still president if the Charlie Hurley fan club?

On another note, picked up my flight tickets yesterday. I am hoping to get a ticket for the Watford or Chelsea game. Maybe we can catch up in Toon for a beer or two before or after a game?

Has C git my room ready yet?

• 39 expatmag // Aug 4, 2015 at 2:09 AM

Sounds like an Ashley plan. Spends the 34 million quid sitting in the bank and then sells a purple for 20 million just before the window closes citing not enough time for a replacement.

• 40 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 4, 2015 at 2:10 AM

€23 Dzeko to Roma.

That’s a proper bargain. He would of been lethal here.

Unsure of wages though.

• 41 Mister Tuff // Aug 4, 2015 at 2:13 AM

expat – couple of pints after the match sounds fine.
    No rooms available unforunately.
    at that I’m away to the pit.

• 42 expatmag // Aug 4, 2015 at 2:26 AM

Yes but at his age, the price was too much. Little or no sell on value

• 43 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 4, 2015 at 2:27 AM

€23 mil!

Ashley to not use a window to make some dosh?

Question is whether he will invest it quick enough this window to see us OK.

Aslong as Ashley makes a profit he dosn’t mind spending.

14.5 Wijnaldum 17-20 Sissoko.

Wow, no way is Sissoko worth that mind.

• 44 expatmag // Aug 4, 2015 at 2:42 AM

If he got 17 to 20 million for Sissoko, I would grab it as long as it was reinvested in the areas of the team where we are the weakest.

I agree Sissoko isnt worth that much but when you look at what City paid for Sterling and that kid from Fulham, 20 million quid is the least I would expect off them.

However, I doubt these reports as City could get better than Sissoko and they desperately need to sign home grown players to meet their quota. Liverpool have their eyes on some russian winger at Real Madrid and I doubt they would meet our valuation anyway.

• 45 canuckmag // Aug 4, 2015 at 2:54 AM

I think the brinkmanship continues with the fans. I can’t believe that we can all see where the team needs to strengthen and still they play these bloody games with transfers. Three more signings and we might well have a team worth paying to see, doesn’t have to be world beaters, just solid pros that can do a job. If the rumours about Thauvin are true then we have really lost the plot, I work with two French lads who say he is no where near as good as Cabella and we all saw how he struggled.
    I am afraid we are in for another long season flirting with relegation unless they get a grip and sign a CH, RW and a proven goal scorer. It is scary how much SMC is starting to sound like Pardew.

• 46 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 4, 2015 at 2:55 AM

Seems spot on to me to sell him for that amount. Tired of his outspoken antics. Then buy Austin. I know some people are tired of his name on here but he is proven and better than Mitrovic for me.

This one season reason why we shouldn’t is poor, he will fly after that aslong as we give him service. For 15 mil we will never get a proven Prem scorer again for that price.

I don’t think City like, he is Scouse bound if any.

• 47 expatmag // Aug 4, 2015 at 3:12 AM

In my opinion, Austin is well over rated at that price. We have our new CF in Mitrovic and back up in Cisse. What we dont have is a decent winger on the right to service them. I am fairly sure Aarons could do the job on the left and I agree with you about Thauvin. He is not good enough.

The perfect player is training with the youth team at Spurs, English and a vast amount of experience. He is quick and he can score goals as well as create them. His name is Aaron Lennon and would be available for 6 million.

Go out and spend 8 milion plus Williamson for Van Dijk of Celtic and we solve two if our problems in one swoop.

• 48 expatmag // Aug 4, 2015 at 3:16 AM

My line up would be

Janmaat, Van Dijk, Mbemba, Haidara

De Jong, Anita, Wijnaldum

Lennon, Mitrovic, Aarons

• 49 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 4, 2015 at 3:40 AM

Expat its TFL

Do you really think Celtic would take Williamson?

• 50 expatmag // Aug 4, 2015 at 3:55 AM

He would be a good player in he SPL.

• 51 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 4, 2015 at 4:03 AM

Aye he is overated at that price but they will get him at around 12 mil i’d guess. Just hope we don’t lose the chance with messing on.

I’v wanted English lads here all summer.

Lennon and Rose would be class but never happen I doubt.

• 52 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 4, 2015 at 4:07 AM

I think 14th is a realistic prediction for us. At the end of the day it’s still basically the same squad that deserved to be relegated last season. New coaching, some new players, others back from injury – sure, I’d expect us to play better football but I’ll bet every club will feel they’ve strengthened. Most of the teams we are realistically “competing” against have been building their squads over a couple of seasons and will most likely improve again. Really, it’s been back to the drawing-board for us which has got to put us behind.

• 53 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 4, 2015 at 4:30 AM

Mid-table is realistic, the injury table was lethal as usual last season.

Makes you think, if the previous managers were backed with a decent bench and second string..

• 54 jimmysmith // Aug 4, 2015 at 5:01 AM

There were two distinct parts to the season, pre and post Pardew. Its hard to imagine the dire post Pardew form being replicated under McClaren, particularly with the addition of three key signings to strengthen the spine of the side, where we had clearly been understrength and with a remit of top eight and a tilt at all competitions. Injuries will of course be key. Last season was almost a perfect storm in that regard, and certainly we can expect more from Aarons and De Jong, missing for so long due to injury, and also Perez and Cabella, true talents with now greater experience, and the squad as a whole, with more to play for and better equipped to compete.

• 55 Santon03 // Aug 4, 2015 at 5:36 AM

Actually based on moenchengladbach game, we look good, I’m happy.
    We didn’t play hoofball, even goalkick from Krul only hoofball when no option to do so.
    The only goal we conceded was from Aarons mistake losing the ball facing our goal outside penalty box. You can’t blame the defense for that, they didn’t have time to recover.
    Even Willo and Obertan looks good, he didn’t hoof the ball.
    The only problem is Cisse imo, everyone looks good and played good football.
    Anyway it’s only pre-season friendly where they make 6 to 8 subs in a game.
    I’m positive about this season even if we don’t make another signings.
    If we were going to make a new signing, definitely a winger. Either convert Gouffran into a wb or sell him.

• 56 SUTTY1978 // Aug 4, 2015 at 6:09 AM

It’s not brinksmanship, we haven’t bid for him and we’re not going to bid for him. We must be playing the same game of brinksmanship with Barca & Real over our pursuit of Messi & Ronaldo.

• 57 welshgeordie9 // Aug 4, 2015 at 6:13 AM

9Belfast // Aug 3, 2015 at 10:53 PM

That’s a bit harsh Belfast.

Ha ha ha

• 58 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 4, 2015 at 6:15 AM

After a good long think people say we need a tall strong CB with premier League experience well here’s 3 I think would be a good fit:

1) Kyle Bartley – Swansea, 22 yrs old – 6ft 4, 11 stone, quick

2)Winston Reid – West Ham – 27 yrs old – 6ft 3

3) Maya Yoshida – Soton – 26 yrs old 6ft 2

I think any of these 3 would do

• 59 Santon03 // Aug 4, 2015 at 6:29 AM

Colo, Saylor, Mbemba, Llacelles, Willo all CB.
    Dummet also can play CB, Satka also CB.

Where is the new CB gonna fit in if we bought another one? You can only play 2 at a time, 3 at most. Not to mention Curtis Good.

• 60 lesh // Aug 4, 2015 at 6:34 AM

Yes, it’s the Chronicle but it seems to back up what I suggested last weekend.

When, oh when will they learn that a quid ‘ssved’ might just cost a lot!

• 61 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 4, 2015 at 6:43 AM

Santon with a bit of luck, Saylor, willow and or Colo might go

• 62 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 4, 2015 at 6:46 AM

Take a Chancel,
    Like the name change!

Winston Reid is the one I’d take. Big, physical, prem and World cup experienced, vocal and leads the back line, decent on the deck. Ticks all the boxes of what I am after in another new centre half.

They would fit right into the first team. Offload any of the 3 senior centre halves for little – or just release – after all, we are making our own luck.

Satka should be out on loan, Dummet is left back cover/rotation, and you do right not to mention Curtis Good. Injured again, and not prevued anything so far.

• 63 hibbit // Aug 4, 2015 at 6:46 AM

i have the feeling Mc will start on sunday with taylor and willo

• 64 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 4, 2015 at 6:46 AM

• 65 Jib // Aug 4, 2015 at 6:46 AM

Santon 03

I have never supported another club so I don’t know if it is particular to Toon fans , but they do get very fixated (at least in blogland) on a theme to the point it becomes all-consuming.

The current one is ,Willo is the worst defender on the planet with Colo close behind and that is one of the main reasoms we were so shyte last season. – WRONG

I’ve said already I get the distinct impression that all the defenders at the club have been given time to prove themselves , perhaps to the Winter window or even a full season.

I know it’s an old chestnut but the 4 essentials for a defender Communication , Discipline , Positioning and , Passing can all be improved with good coaching .

• 66 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 4, 2015 at 6:49 AM

Santon…another new CB would hopefully fit into the starting 11 next to Mbembe 😉

• 67 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 4, 2015 at 6:50 AM

It’s me TFL I lost my details so Had to set up new account. I agree Willo and Saylor really shouldn’t be near the team

• 68 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 4, 2015 at 6:55 AM

Take a Chancel…it seems you have remembered you were TFL so it should be quite straight forward now 😀 lol

• 69 lochinvar // Aug 4, 2015 at 6:55 AM

Everybody is fed up with all the Austin stories so here’s a different one

Southampton have made a £7m bid for Celtic’s 24-year-old central defender for Virgil van Dijk, who has also been linked with Arsenal and Manchester United. (Daily Express)

But the Express fail to mention all the Newcastle links ? And Manure – don’t think so

• 70 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 4, 2015 at 6:58 AM

Yeah, they can be, communication is far harder to coach though and it only works if you have the football intelligence to know what and when to communicate. You can’t teach leadership skills though, and we lack that in the centre of defence.

I think our defenders looked wore then they are because of poor tactics from both Pardew and then Carver continuing the theme. A higher line and higher pressing hold reduce the number of goals conceded. I’d still like someone who can organise the back line in though.

Taylor would be the one to go in my opinion. Whilst he is one of the better ones when fit, he isn’t fit enough often enough, and if he is to be back up, then we need to be able to rely on his fitness when he needs to step in.

Take a Chancel,
    Yeah, I saw you mention it was you yesterday I think, but didn’t catch you on here.

• 71 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 4, 2015 at 7:00 AM

hahaa jesper

• 72 Santon03 // Aug 4, 2015 at 7:00 AM

I would prefer bring in new cb in january, see what happens until then. It’s a new manager and different style of play. I say give them one last chance.

You can’t blame last season on those 2 alone. The entire team was Sh!t. We can’t even create or score goals, can’t keep possession. Not to mention Carver and co. The only good thing last season was the last game.

• 73 hibbit // Aug 4, 2015 at 7:02 AM

lilongwe/jib… why do you think clubs are asking about willo and not taylor

• 74 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 4, 2015 at 7:05 AM

Fitness and wages would be my guess. Salor is on too much cash for a Championship player who is only fit for half the games.

• 75 Jib // Aug 4, 2015 at 7:05 AM

I think the Southampton connection is very likely because of Ronald’s brother Erwin Koeman.
    Erwin played for Groningen 3 times in his career so he will know all about van Dijk.

• 76 Jib // Aug 4, 2015 at 7:08 AM

Hibbit I agree with Lilo
    Two snapped hamstrings – 30 next January – Too many better options

• 77 hibbit // Aug 4, 2015 at 7:09 AM

its not good that 3 of our 4 senior cb’s contracts end at the same time we good be looking for 3 new cb at the end of the season not 1 no forward planing

• 78 Jail for Ashley // Aug 4, 2015 at 7:14 AM

STaylor is broken, he is not going to leave his 25/40K a week contract to go on a play as you play elsewhere, unfortunately he is here until the end of his contract, and I really hope the bids for Willo weren’t turned down because of his valuation.

• 79 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 4, 2015 at 7:20 AM

Good luck to van Dijk in SOTON then!

• 80 Jail for Ashley // Aug 4, 2015 at 7:20 AM

I’ve just Googled some of Andy Macs posts and he is anti Mike Ashley, and that qualifies him to be me does it, another one of tens of thousands unhappy with Mike Ashleys stewardship of the club. However the similarities between you anf jeff from benwell narrow down to the blatantly obvious. The sneering, snydey remarks, your delusions of being a well cultured man, your claims to speak multiple languages, you were banned for good reason as your former moniker, you are just about keeping a lid on your new one.

• 81 Jib // Aug 4, 2015 at 7:21 AM

There are still persistent rumours floating around ,all over the shop , that , Newcastle have one more jaw-dropping transfer to complete , and it will make the previous 3 look insignificant by comparison.

• 82 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 4, 2015 at 7:23 AM

hibbit…asking price and wages maybe?

…something tells me Saylor won’t come cheap (and his injury record will a huge part as well)

• 83 ShirebrookToon // Aug 4, 2015 at 7:27 AM

The stumbling block with selling saylor is his medical insurance premium 🙂 lol

• 84 ShirebrookToon // Aug 4, 2015 at 7:29 AM

Let’s hope these rumours come to fruition! 😉

• 85 sparky55 // Aug 4, 2015 at 7:29 AM

Irrespective of the fact Saylor is now like a fragile piece of china being used a door stop, he’s also a bit of a dunce, he’s slow, he can’t read the game, he’s reactive rather than proactive and couldn’t snuff out a candle never mind a good premiership striker…but hey …he’s got heart!

If we have no choice at all but to play him, we may as well play him as right back and put in Janmaat in the middle with Mbemba… but what ever we do we can’t play Willow and Saylor in the same line-up…that would be cruel and embarrassing for all concerned.

Tiote and Cisse and Sissoko and Colo will all be gone by the end of the window

• 86 EllaGuru // Aug 4, 2015 at 7:31 AM

I believe most fans on here, except Ed, would be more than happy if we coughed up 7-8M on VanDijk, and left our summer spending at that.

That would represent a reasonable outlay on players in, and any funds we take in on players (squad players) would be a bonus. Mashley can then keep the books balanced and we have a significantly strengthened squad and first team.

Review in January, with a view to getting in a wide man who can cross!

• 87 sparky55 // Aug 4, 2015 at 7:35 AM

Austin and Van Dijk not coming here but there is a another ‘purple on the way.

Shame Abeid is going…he was one of the main reasons we did so well during our mini run before xmas last year until he fell out with Pardew and Carver over tactics…he’s a decent player and will do well and will finish up in the german premier division playing for a good team within two years.

• 88 Ian Toon // Aug 4, 2015 at 7:38 AM

Lilongwe- Looking at our fortunes for the coming season would you care to forecast PL final league table. Can be revised up to 1st September and window closing.
    Pardew left us in 9th place and last season we collected 40% of total points in season in October and November. Our squad is better now and Macca is a better coach than Pardew. There’s also a better and more positive feeling around the club and supporters. Many pundits say that we won’t be involved in a relegation battle but why not top 8.
    A good start would help towards that aim and certainly a few additional signings particularly defensively.

• 89 Ian Toon // Aug 4, 2015 at 7:44 AM

Hibbit – Williamson has a good injury record over the last 3 years and PL experience. For me he’s a Championship player whilst Taylor for clubs with limited budgets would represent a gamble.

• 90 sparky55 // Aug 4, 2015 at 7:52 AM

we’re gunna have to hold our nerve and persevere with the new playing philosophy regardless of the poor results over the first 8 games…we’ll need to be very strong mentally which is why we cant afford to have people like Colo and Willo and Sissoko anywhere near the first team during those first 8 games…they just don’t have the fight.

Saylor Janmaat Mbemba Hiadara

Aarons Winjy, Anita, Colback SDJ

All good characters (except possibly Hiadara) and all good footballers (except for Saylor)

Good football always wins in the end and we have to keep on believing that. 🙂

• 91 expatmag // Aug 4, 2015 at 7:55 AM

I wanted to make a point about some posters negative responses to the squad basically saying it us the same as last season.

We need to factor in a few differences which may see this squad punch above their weight this season.

1….Obviously the addition of Mitrovic Mbemba and Wijnaldum are huge assets and an upgrade in class.

2….Hopefully, an injury free Krul Dejong Aatons Taylor and Cisse will improve options and results.

3….Surely we cannot have a situation like last season where we had to rely on a young untried keeper for 10 games which cost us dearly.

4….Better coaching staff now in charge.

5…Better depth in the squad with the likes of Perez Aarons Abeid and Dummett more experienced in the PL.

6….Other kids like Armstrong Ameobi Woodman etc getting valuable game e xperience at a lower level.

• 92 Mag52 // Aug 4, 2015 at 7:59 AM

You say SM is beginning to sound like Pardew. No real surprise there. He’s starting to realize the sort of boss he’s got himself.
    I’m pretty sure that this, and January, are the two times in the season that Ashley thinks all the hassle which goes with owning a football club is worthwhile. The wheeling and dealing, the brinkmanship on players coming in, ‘can I get him for a million or two under their final price ?’, the ones he wins – great, the ones he misses out on – no worries, we’ll try again next window.
    No thought about how the team or the fans are affected by this high stakes game of poker, the lousy b&stard !

• 93 hibbit // Aug 4, 2015 at 8:01 AM

if we could get a cb and a lb i would go with what we have till january anything ele’s coming in would be a bonus

• 94 hads442 // Aug 4, 2015 at 4:20 PM

Don’t even think we are in for Austin after all he is 27 next month and doesn’t fit our blueprint , tabloids just talking rubbish as usual !

previous post: Mysterious Report – Newcastle Have Bid For Honduran Winger