The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren Undecided On Newcastle Captain – Fans Are Not

8:25 am, Monday, August 3rd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 15 Comments

Fabricio Coloccini’s slight Achilles injury has meant that he has not played at all in pre-season, and that seems to have put a spanner in the works as far as Steve McClaren is concerned because it looks like he sees Coloccini as a man who can still play a part for Newcastle in the coming season.

And with the head coach saying that he has talked to the Argentine International and Fabricio wants to see out the last year of his contract on Tyneside, it could be that McClaren keeps him as club captain for his last season at Newcastle.

daryl janmaat and papiss cisse in training

Two senior players – Daryl Janmaat with Papiss Cisse in training

McClaren has once again played down the importance of the captaincy and expects his senior players, who include Tim Krul, Daryl Janmaat, Jack Colback, Moussa Sissoko and Papiss Cisse among others, to be leaders on and off the field.

This is what Steve has said to the local journalists about who will be captain:

“You’ll find that out this week, because it’s been passed around all over the place, hasn’t it?” “I think there’s only me that’s not worn it.”

“We have a senior group of players and what I’ve done is passed it around the senior group.” “I’ve been asked before every game.”

“But you know what – it’s not that I don’t care, but they should all be captains.” “We have a senior group of players and what I’ve done is passed it around the senior group.”

“Coloccini is the club captain. Will he play next week? We don’t know.’“Will he be captain next week?” “We don’t know.“

“Let’s first get him on the training field, let’s get him playing and see if he can start.”

It’s going to be touch and go whether Coloccini will play on Sunday against Southampton, but we have an inkling that Steve McClaren will stay with Coloccini as captain.

Steve McClaren may have doubts about the captaincy but there’s not much doubt with fans – they want to see right-back Daryl Janmaat as the new Newcastle captain – and he’s captained the side once in pre-season.

Who Should Be Newcastle's Captain Next Season?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

What do you think?

Tags: Captain · Coaching · Daryl Janmaat · Fabricio Coloccini · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Premier League

15 responses so far ↓

• 1 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 3, 2015 at 8:41 AM

See the morons at SKY have been at it again by changing the time of kick of for the away game at Bournemouth to 12:45 in November

F**in crazy

• 2 Jib // Aug 3, 2015 at 8:41 AM

Siem de Jong
    Done it before at club and International (U21) level.
    Janmaat has enough to think about , good vice captain in charge of the backs though.

• 3 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 3, 2015 at 8:47 AM

Morning all, have gone back to Windows 7 lol
    Hope we are all well

We need a CB, winger and striker in this week

• 4 Jib // Aug 3, 2015 at 8:54 AM

When Colo was appointed captain in July 2011 he was really the only option for Pardew .
    Nolan and Barton of the old regime had gone to pastures new.
    The only other contender really was Cabaye who had come in that June.
    Who knows , if AP had appointed dreamboat captain , he may have stayed with a team built round him .
    Football is full of ifs and buts.

• 5 TudorCrisps // Aug 3, 2015 at 8:54 AM

Mitro for Captain…

• 6 the broons // Aug 3, 2015 at 8:55 AM

good morning chancel,

We NEED a centre back, the others would be nice yes.

• 7 will die for the toon army // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:01 AM

Seim De Jong is a good Captain we r not yet sure if he will b starting.

• 8 jayphoto // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:01 AM

Siem de jong for me. Intelligent,vocal player. Was a good captain at Ajax.
    Would leave Janmaat to play his football, not sure colback is guarenteed starting line up!

• 9 hibbit // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:03 AM

if we could get the back 4 sorted i would go with the rest anything else would be a bonus…. quality cb….. rb cover… lb first team…….and see where we are in the january window

• 10 musomag // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:03 AM

Colback would be my choice at the minute

I’d rather see the team captained from the midfield or by a forward who can change a game, ideally an English player if possible. I genuinely don’t mean that to sound racist in any way, I mean purely from a communication perspective with the gaffer and refs etc. Admittedly though a Dutch or French speaking captain might be more practical for the current squad. I agree our defence has enough to be thinking about

• 11 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:04 AM

I heard on radio earlier that we are supposedly after PSV centre back Jordy de Wijs he comes highly recommended by Gini and he’s 21

• 12 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:06 AM

sorry 20

• 13 will die for the toon army // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:07 AM

Done with speculation no sense am now thinking abt the new season and wat I have. I think it is going to take us till december to know how to play Ian Cathro and Mcclaren.

• 14 Jib // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:09 AM

The old school captains used to be the player that was closest to the manager in thinking and I think that McClaren thinks like that too having spent his formative years in management with Fergie who always gave his captain appointments lots of thought.
    If he is going to take it from Colo it has to be now while everything still seems like a new broom at the club.

• 15 MagpieInLondon // Aug 3, 2015 at 11:55 AM

I’m amazed Janmaat has the majority here. I would have thought de Jong was the obvious choice (that’s if he starts anway)

previous post: Breaking News – Commitment From The Newcastle Captain