The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle After Another Dutch International Midfielder

2:35 pm, Monday, August 3rd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 92 Comments

Newcastle were linked with 21 year-old Feyenoord winger Jean-Paul Boetius last month, and the lad is a very highly rated player who usually plays on the left wing.

We are expecting Newcastle to still try to sign three players this summer – a striker, a midfielder and a defender – and with Newcastle having difficulty agreeing a fee for Marseilles winger Florian Thauvin,  maybe this lad would be a good alternative.

Jean-Paul Boetius – could be a bargain for Newcastle

The latest report that Newcastle are interested in the left footed midfielder is in the Mail, who report that Newcastle have made inquiries about the 21 year-old who has been at Feyenoord since he was just six years old.

He has already played 96 times for Feyenoord with 20 goals and 17 assists,  and he made his debut for Holland in March of last year in a friendly game against France in Paris.

He’s played 12 times for the U21 side with two goals and was called up to the Dutch preliminary squad for the FIFA World Cup last year in Brazil, but didn’t make Louis van Gaal’s final selection.

Boetius would be a cheaper option but not necessarily a worse option that Thauvin, who Marseilles want £15M for – and that’s an awful lot for a player who has still to play for the France National side.

Jean-Paul usually plays on the left wing and he will probably cost something like £5M in the transfer market – although Newcastle could potentially get a better deal that that for him.

He would seem to offer a lot more value to Newcastle than Florian would for £15M.

Last March, north London rivals Tottenham and Arsenal were both said to be wanting to sign the Dutch international, who can also play on the right hand side, and the fee at that time was said to be £5M.

We know that Chief Scout Graham Carr has been scouting in Holland over the last year,  so maybe it’s not too surprising we are being linked with this top youngster.

Here’s some video on the player we have shown before – and they call him the young sensation.

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

92 responses so far ↓

• 1 JackButler // Aug 3, 2015 at 2:37 PM

I’m hoping that all these links are smoke screens to cover who we are really going after

• 2 Tinman // Aug 3, 2015 at 2:37 PM

Good insight Bobbybee, those do seem to be our 4 stand out youngsters. Would be great if we could get Kemen and Roberts loaned out too, 6months offers minimal risk if they are not getting game time at their clubs. Aarons has to play first team this year. At the moment they are all still hype, but promising at least.

I remember when Vuckic was Europes next great CAM, wanted by Chelsea, Arsenal and United, all it takes is some bad coaching, bad luck or bad attitude for a youngster to fail. The margin is so fine at the top.

Campbell ‘the next rooney’ signed for Notts County, Streete ‘the next Ferdinand’ signed for Port Vale.

• 3 Tinman // Aug 3, 2015 at 2:37 PM

• 4 nut meg // Aug 3, 2015 at 2:37 PM

Collo & Mbemba have played 28 minutes between them in pre-season!! Is anyone expecting him to leap like a salmon to power headers away,to sprint like a Olympic athlete to cut out danger.He is still suffering with an Achilles heel! shakes head.

• 5 Tinman // Aug 3, 2015 at 2:38 PM

Sorry, no idea why that posted twice

• 6 EllaGuru // Aug 3, 2015 at 2:40 PM

I expect him to be like an Olympic headless salmon! Running around, like a man possessed, without a care in the world for positioning, teammates etc. That’s our Colo!

• 7 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 3, 2015 at 2:41 PM

This would be a sensible buy to me! Then we need another forward, a CB a young RB 🙂

• 8 pawl250 // Aug 3, 2015 at 2:45 PM

Nut Meg

It does not take someone to be MATCH FIT to jump into the team do a job and head a ball away. Its also arguably, other than the GK position, the position that require the least amount of fitness.

I mean a Cb rarely runs past the half way line. So really he is just doing the odd run back, roughly half a pitch and then walks or jogs back up it.

Not being funny but does not require a seasoned athlete. He or should I say both (Mbemba/Colo) are also a fat slobs, they are professional footballers. Who will be somewhat fit regardless.

Match sharpness is another matter, but a blunt Mbemba/Colo is better than a samurai sword like sharp Willaimson.

Also the only way to get match fit is by playing matches. Its certainly the quickest way.

Now Tiote you have an argument he may last half a game if that and requires more work rate being in the centre of the pitch he has to hassel players around him and follow the ball.

• 9 Robby Bobson // Aug 3, 2015 at 2:47 PM

This guys gone to Basel.

• 10 Oldgit1 // Aug 3, 2015 at 2:49 PM

I’m sure this guy has already gone to Basil,

• 11 Polarboy // Aug 3, 2015 at 2:49 PM

He’s already signed for Basel as far as I can see. Bit of a non-story if that is the case.

• 12 Spoof // Aug 3, 2015 at 2:49 PM

Ed, your behind the times mate, Boetius has already signed for Basel.

• 13 hibbit // Aug 3, 2015 at 2:51 PM

ed..these names would all be good but everyone takes a number and until we sell / get rid those numbers are limited CB / FB first anyone else next

• 14 JackButler // Aug 3, 2015 at 2:51 PM

Ed, you’re almost as slow off the mark as Colo and Willo 🙂

• 15 Bobbybee // Aug 3, 2015 at 2:52 PM

Old git – Fawlty Towers? 😉

• 16 pawl250 // Aug 3, 2015 at 2:52 PM

I hate these “next ????” slogans beside young players.

When Ronaldo come through the ranks do you think they labelled him, or do you think they knew he would be the next big thing, the next him so to speak.

As for our youngsters its our fans that hype them up. I heard all about this ginger Michael Owen like player, how he was gods gift in front of goal and then he came onto the pitch and I seen instantly he was not good enough.

Vuckic was obvious too, hes slower than Cilla Black (too early?) my point being he is too slow to feature in the PL elite.

He would do well at a Bournemouth sure, but he was never the next anything worth talking about. Just our fans bragging about our youth system that has literally not produced anything worthy of note for a LONG TIME.

Armstrong has a chance, but McLaren has done the right thing and instantly sent the kid on loan for experience. Pardew let him rot on our bench to play 4-5 mins every other game. Its why no youth would have made it under the bloke.

Aarons has a chance, but hes injury prone. He also needs to keep his head down. I mean he is 20 years old, he should have made it now if he was this immense player we all hype him to be.

• 17 Bobbybee // Aug 3, 2015 at 2:59 PM

Pawl, agree with you mate. I’m sure both could fit in without being 100% if required. Mbemba has been training hard with Anderlecht and will still be doing so whilst his permit is sorted. He’ll be on board by Sunday and I wouldn’t hesitate playing him given the options.

• 18 the broons // Aug 3, 2015 at 2:59 PM

even though its still a centre back that we need, if we were to go for either this lad or thauvin it would have to be this lad. Looks more like the pacy type winger that we need and would mean we could go with 2 out and out wingers with him and aarons.

Would actually love for this to happen cos 5 million isnt a big hit at all and i like the look of him.

• 19 hibbit // Aug 3, 2015 at 3:00 PM

pawl i rember last week you told me i nowt about the modern game well once again your wrong modern CB are some of the fittest players in the prem its obvious by that ridiclous comment you have never kicked a ball in your life stick to your computer……..and i know nowt

• 20 the broons // Aug 3, 2015 at 3:02 PM

i too hate those being branded. the amount of times i have the next messi with his natonality before hand in ridiculous.

Then I watch the players and the only slight resemblance is they’re same height and can play the game a little just nowhere near the same level as messi however.

• 21 Bobbybee // Aug 3, 2015 at 3:15 PM

I wouldn’t ever call anybody the next Messi. Messi is a total one off and we won’t see his kind again for many a year. I believe Arma will make it 100%, he’s such a natural goalscorer. Like wise Aarons will make it. Kemen needs to improve his first touch, but I’d put him at 90% because of the rest of his game. Roberts needs a loan deal to find out if his promise can be fulfilled. Macca brought through Beckham & Co when at Man Utd and Cathco was Dundee’s youth coach when only 22 and is known for bringing the best out of young prospects. Our new coaching set up will make a huge difference after Pardew and Carver.

• 22 Tsunki // Aug 3, 2015 at 3:21 PM

I wouldn’t brand anybody the next Williamson in a hurry.

• 23 nut meg // Aug 3, 2015 at 3:29 PM

Shakes head again!

• 24 TheToonKing // Aug 3, 2015 at 3:41 PM

really fast mobile winger , but not really the best ballplayer out there….

• 25 hibbit // Aug 3, 2015 at 3:43 PM

pawl i have just reread your post and i find it the most ridiculous post i have ever read on this blog your talking about a lad making his debut in the premiership the hardest league in the world against some of the finest footballers on the planet and you dont think he needs to be fit thats going to do a lot for his confidence ……..stick to football manager …you know nowt about the real game

• 26 qtoon // Aug 3, 2015 at 3:47 PM

I think we still need to do a lot of work in the transfer window. Coloccini ought to stay for experience, he may come good once he has a CB he can trust to pass to.

Sell: Williamson, Ferguson, Obertan, Marveaux
    Loan Out: Good, Satka, Mbabu, Bigi, Vuckic, Kemen, Rivière
    Buy: CF – ?Austin, CB – ?Van Dijk, RB – ?Byram, LW – ?Shaqiri

Then we should have decent cover for all positions. If loan players underperform they should also be sold as they’ve been around long enough to impress here. If Haidara/Dummett don’t perform well enough LB should be the priority in January, perhaps Willems from PSV.

If I was manager, this is what I’d set out to do. Don’t worry lads, I’ll go out and get me coaching badges this summer.

What would you all do?

• 27 terencelim // Aug 3, 2015 at 3:48 PM

@hibbit Pawl just need some attention on the internet he has been making countless of ridiculous post and wrong predictions in the past.

• 28 pawl250 // Aug 3, 2015 at 4:07 PM

Who are you? I have not even heard of you….. ever.

As for the attention part, could not give two monkeys about what people think or say about me hence not being a regular poster I do not seek or require attention from an online group.

I post what I think and why I think it. And its a free world we all have opinions.

Wind ya neck in. Your obsessed with me. You are saying a CB needs to be fitter than a midfielder? A wing back? a winger? All who require to get up and down, and from side to side across the pitch for a whole 90 minutes.

A central defender rarely ventures past the half way line and his job is even easier when a team is dominating as he will be at the back with little movement or standing on half way watching our team with the ball. The worst kind of game a defender could hope for is end to end, which in all honesty is rare for Newcastle United.

Your argument can only be valid for a striker, but match sharpness is everything in a striker. The instinct to get that little yard in front of a defender or to swing a well timed boot.

A defender does not need pace. John Terry and Woodgate proved that. As have countless of others Mertsacker, Hangeland, Vidic…… list really does go on.

A centre backs biggest tool at his disposal is never his strength or his pace, or his jump. Its his mind. If a player can read the game, his anticipation of the movement in play is everything. That is not something required by fitness. As I said maybe match sharpness, but not fitness. It is why John Terry was the best defender in the league last year.

Coloccini will be fit enough to start a PL game, whether he could finish I am not so sure, but certainly enough to get 70 mins under his belt. It is also the quickest way to get up to full match fitness. You would not put a defender on the bench to gain any that is for sure. He would have trained behind the scenes and as I said he is a professional footballer who will by contract need to keep his fitness to a certain level during breaks.

As for Mbemba, he has completed a full pre season with Anderlect. So chomp down old man and stop being bitter.

As for Campbell, did he turn out to be the next Michael Owen? Where is he now? Oh wait no he didn’t and he does not even play in the PL that is how good he turned out to be so in my brief assessment yes I could be wrong when I first saw him, but I wasn’t. At least with some players you can see quality, in him I could not. AND to some degree it does not matter when he plays or where he plays his first game as a young player. If you cannot handle the occasion you will not make it. Perez is a prime example of a young kid that can do great things because he has the confidence to rise to the occasion.

• 29 sweendog // Aug 3, 2015 at 4:09 PM

talk of him signing for 3.25m euros for Basel, ed

• 30 hibbit // Aug 3, 2015 at 4:13 PM

very brave behind a computer……. stick to football manager you might be better at that then the real thing

• 31 Jib // Aug 3, 2015 at 4:17 PM

When you find yourself in a hole stop digging.
    The more you prattle about the fitness issue , the bigger fool you look.
    I know all I need to about you from that tasteless Cilla Black remark.

• 32 pawl250 // Aug 3, 2015 at 4:21 PM

I do not even play Football Manager, although I used to 10 years ago maybe. I do play Fifa, but online if/when I do with friends so it has nothing to do with managing at all.

I say what I think, and know what I know. If you do not agree and therefore have anything remotely constructive to say then move on and do not say anything at all. Its simple.

Also again with the pathetic threats “hidden behind my computer” how old are you again? Teens from the sounds the sound of things. GROW UP it only makes you sound like a brute and pathetic!

It is like you are calling me out, or atleast implying it without actually saying it.

I can say what I want on this blog, aslong as it is football related as do you. As I said above if you do not want to engage in conversation then do not bother just jog on.

I simply will ignore ALL of your posts in the future, including any reply to this post if you make one.

NICE KNOWING YOU! Take care.

• 33 midweek weekend // Aug 3, 2015 at 4:26 PM

can i just add for the record, football manager is a very decent game, only real football managing game out there, i took newcastle to the league cup final on 2015 one, lost 3-1 to spurs, i was gutted…

but back to real life, does anyone know if mbemba will be available for the Southampton game, or colo for that matter ?

• 34 Mister Tuff // Aug 3, 2015 at 4:27 PM

Jib/Jeff – how on earth can you criticise anyone for their remarks on here. You are such a bigoted hypocrite
    You’ve already been asked (and failed) to justify your comments about spastics, which I find grossly offensive.
    Come on lets hear it -start digging your hole

• 35 Slank // Aug 3, 2015 at 4:31 PM

Pawl @ 28

Just to concur that a central defenders greatest asset is being able to read the game and anticipate which usually comes with experience.

The great Bobby Moore was the master of reading the game and anticipating the next move. Colo’s strength is reading the game and anticipation.

I once read about a forward, whose name escapes me but it could have been the great Gerd Muller, and it said he was so lethal because he was yards faster in his brain than all others around him.

• 36 pawl250 // Aug 3, 2015 at 4:35 PM

Was pretty tasteless in fairness. But if you do not agree then simply tell me why constructively or as I said above move on.

A defender in the PL does not need to be match fit. Woodgate was arguably the best defender to grace our back four and hardly was match fit. I agree you lose quality in terms of the ability to move as freely around the pitch but I would be willing to accept that if it means not playing Williamson.

As I said a half fit Colo and a pretty much fully fit Mbemba given he has had a pre season with his previous club over Taylor and Williamson any day.

I do not understand why it is such an issue what I said. These players need game time, without it they will never get fully match fit for the PL.May aswell start now opposed to later, and if he needs swapped within 90 mins then do it, as I said a superior player than Williamson so minimize Williamsons time on the pitch.

I suppose its a pointless debate anyway because we should have a defender in that we trust more and too replace the likes of Colo and Mbemba if they are injured/banned.

• 37 dok - the horrid colonial // Aug 3, 2015 at 4:40 PM

When you find yourself in a hole stop digging.

the bigger fool you look….

coming from jib/jeff/jane, thank you… I needed a good laugh this morning…

• 38 Jib // Aug 3, 2015 at 4:40 PM

Mister Tuff
    It is getting very close to an email to Dr Ed time.
    I’m not Jeff and I have never made any comment on spastics. OK

• 39 Jib // Aug 3, 2015 at 4:42 PM

Fair comment
    However have you read what the fool Pawl is saying about the fitness of footballers

• 40 pawl250 // Aug 3, 2015 at 4:46 PM

Its true, if a player can foresee what he wants to do and in effect make a decision earlier it would be a great asset in any sport.

If you think about something like a penalty shoot out. If you are indecisive it could never be a good thing. But knowing what you plan on doing and executing it is two different things.

I suppose ability does come into the fold, Muller being the player he was it would have only enhanced him as a player though.

I certainly think a defenders greatest asset is his ability to read the game. I know I name drop Woodgate alot but his quality really did stand out, and it was a pleasure watching him at our club sort the likes of OBrien, Hughes and Bramble out. Time stopped when he had the ball, I mean he seemed to be so calm and never really showed any sign of nerves at the back.

I think we could do with some of that these days, the amount of confusion in a box scramble our players just hoof in hope it gets away.

He made his defensive team mates, our below average defenders look solid though. 1 defender managed to do that. I honestly think if it was not for his injuries he could have been one of the best defenders (centrally) to grace the game.

Their is a reason Real Madrid came in for him.

• 41 pawl250 // Aug 3, 2015 at 4:50 PM

Think you should re phrase my comment about footballers, and read what I actually said.

I said central defenders can get away with match fitness more than any other player on the pitch excluding a GK.

Its not like I am saying a player can eat all the pies and slot into the team tomorrow. READ my comment, understand my point.

Colo in this case will already be a fit guy, he is a professional footballer and has probably done extensive training throughout pre season. That said, I did say he would lack sharpness, which in turn can only be gained via playing on the field anyway.

My point really boiling it down was I would have a half fit Colo over a fully fity Williamson all day long.

And Mbembas fitness will be fine considering he has had a pre season with his old club, he has not been injured. The only doubt for Sunday is his visa I believe.

• 42 Tinman // Aug 3, 2015 at 4:54 PM

pawl, sorry late reply.

Yeah we were treated to our hero being local, of course I’m talking about Shearer. So people seem to pin so much hope on it happening again, especially if the lad is a geordie. On Campbell, he was just not big enough and didn’t have electric pace to make up for it. Vuckic was as you say too slow, it is crucial in the modern game. I too have hopes for Armstrong, he is rated at international level and not just our reserves. Although many star U21s still fail. Lets see how he does at Coventry. I hope he makes it, I really do.

• 43 Tinman // Aug 3, 2015 at 4:57 PM

MBemba should play on Sat. I think Steve will take the gamble on him.

• 44 hibbit // Aug 3, 2015 at 4:58 PM

once again you have excelled in your complete lack of any football knowledge about player fitness levels…. to start a play on his debut in the premiership not total fit is ridiculous….. i dont know which football manual your quoting but its time you got a new one about the real game stick to fantasy football because your no good at the real stuff

• 45 pawl250 // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:00 PM

I agree. He will be fine fitness wise as he has had a pre season with his old club.

Someone mentioned he is struggling for a visa though.

• 46 Rotonda heights // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:05 PM

if mbemba plays saturday he’s going to be very lonely

• 47 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:09 PM

I see Pardew is showing why he was never allowed to have a say in our transfers considering he has paid just under £10 million for Connor Wickham when we got Mitrovic for a similar price .

Madness .

• 48 Bobbybee // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:10 PM

Pawl, i get your point completely and can’t see why anybody is struggling with it. Mbemba is 100% fit, as he showed on Saturday when he left CL players struggling in his wake. Play him, as his visa/work permit will be granted by midweek. If Collo’s niggle has cleared up it’s a no brainer – 80% fit Collo with his reading of the game, or one of the usual suspects? Collo for as long as he can last – end of. If he still has a niggle, save him for when his injury has cleared up properly. Macca’s call on that. Or would anybody seriously say Wilo and Taylor would be better? I certainly hope not 🙂

• 49 lochinvar // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:11 PM

A little light relief amongst the intensity of debate.
    Thought I would see how as a Global brand our name works worldwide – it’s a classic in Armenian, check out the pronunciation !

???????? ?????????
    Nyuk’asl Yunayt’yed

Even better in Zulu ,” Newcastle United ” ( pity, I was hoping for something more interesting )

• 50 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:16 PM

@ Bobbybee

I agree m8 . Even a Partially fit Colo is better than Williamson. If he starts Mane is going to breeze past him like he isn’t there .

I know Collo isn’t the fastest, but at least he can read the game .

• 51 Bobbybee // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:18 PM

Big pappa, you can’t help but laugh can you? Whickam at 16 looked the part potentially, but his time at the dark place has knocked that out of him. He’s probably just given scum 9 million to get back at us lmao! This shows 100% why buying English players can’t be justified, paying a premium price for a bog standard striker. Certainly puts Austin in a much brighter light.

• 52 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:18 PM

Can’t believe we’re letting decent players like abeid go for 1.4m. We should be getting rid of Colback, Tiote and Bigirimana instead. Abeid is a quality player and should be retained. Annoyed with mcclaren already

• 53 Offkey // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:22 PM

Jib // Aug 1, 2015 at 7:14 PM

All together now
    Andy Mac – is a spack – do da – do da

You did say it!

• 54 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:24 PM

@ Kets

I agree, but I don’t understand the hate Colback gets from some NUFC fans .

He does everything Tiote used to do, but he gets less yellow cards, more goals and doesn’t try suicidal passes or dribbling on the edge of our box .

One of the first names on my team sheet IMO, and while I would rather we played someone like Wijnaldum alongside him it looks like McLaren has reinvigorated Anita and I think he will be a crucial player for us this season, especially against the big boys .

• 55 Bobbybee // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:27 PM

Ketsy, Colback? Really? Did you see his range of passing on Saturday? Didn’t know he had it in him myself, but this new philosophy suits him down to the ground. I like Abeid myself, but he appears to suffer from stage fright when it matters. His only option is a German 2nd division side, which says a lot I reckon.

• 56 Mister Tuff // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:27 PM

Jib // Aug 1, 2015 at 7:14 PM
    “All together now
    Andy Mac – is a spack – do da – do da”

I do believe spack is an abbreviation for spastic – so despite your denial here is the proof.
    In this day and age an offensive comment without a doubt. Really no surprises from you at all.

• 57 hibbit // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:29 PM

all these fantasy footballs who are so quick to tell others they know nowt…thats right tinman its a gamble with a full season ahead.. bobbybee he never trained for 5 days till thursday /friday when he with us your going risk the kid………. and your also going to risk colo who has not had one minute of game time since may with a full season ahead i dont know were your brains are but they know nowt about football both of you are making ridiculous statements about players fitness and condition

• 58 magsie // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:31 PM

This kids just signed for FC Basel i think

• 59 magsie // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:32 PM

“Boetius in his new FC Basel shirt. Sad sight for Feyenoord fans”
    Guess we can scratch this one off the list.

• 60 lesh // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:35 PM

So, it seems to be Willo’s turn for stick.

Is that really fair? There’s no question in my mind Tha when he’s played, he’s given his all whereas, well…….

He may not be the most gifted CB in the world but he’s a handy player to have in the squad. Compared to others, his injury record pretty good.

Give the lad break and try not to adopt the Carverish position of his not being good enough to play for us.

• 61 Bobbybee // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:35 PM

Hibbet matey, he went straight back to Anderlecht and trained with them, like any good pro would do. Newcastle even thanked Anderlecht for allowing him to carry on training with them, so I’m not sure where the 5 days off occurred. He zipped up the wing like a whippet on Saturday, which proved his fitness levels.

• 62 hibbit // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:38 PM

big pappa cisse….. colo has had a hamstring problem for over a month no matter how well he reads the game mane is going to skin him there is a full season ahead if we dont get a cb in we are going to be trouble anyway without self inflicted injuries

• 63 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:40 PM

@ Bobby

He looked great at right back when he came on at the weekend and his touch was clearly there as he went round a couple of players with skill as well .

If you can’t tell he is already miles better than Williamson or Taylor even if not 100% fit then you are blind IMO .

• 64 nut meg // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:41 PM

I’m not a fan of Williamson or Taylor but I do know players that are 100% fit & have had a lot of minutes on the pitch in the pre-season is a far better choice than Collo & Mbemba !!

• 65 check the toastie // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:43 PM

Williamson is the worst footballer in our squad by a very long way. The best transfer news this week would be him being sold. This would guarantee Mbemba starting Sunday, think McLaren will bottle picking him to start unless unavoidable. De Jong should start playing a ten role an all.

• 66 nut meg // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:43 PM

Mbemba only had 28 minutes on the pitch!

• 67 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:43 PM

@ hibbit

I’m not saying throw Collo in at the deep end if he has an injury, but if he is healthy and trains all week then I still maintain I would rather have him start over Willo or Taylor IMO .

If he looks miles of the pace against Southampton then sub him off, simple . Although we should have already signed his replacement and had them on the USA tour, but that’s a different story altogether .

• 68 Bobbybee // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:44 PM

Lesh, I’ve always maintained Willo has never given any less than 100% and has, at times, been our motm, but effort only takes you so far. He’s a very good Championship player, no doubt, but he is always prone to making big mistakes, which at CB usually leads to a shot at goal. I’d keep him as cover ahead of Taylor and Lascelles isn’t ready yet for the PL. Would I play him ahead of a fit Mbemba – and he is fit – or an 80% fit Collo, who reads the game so well? Not sure I would mate.

• 69 bladeuser // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:45 PM

Williamson is one if not the worst defender in nufc history and any blogger who thinks otherwise does not know his arse from his elbow

• 70 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:45 PM

@ nutmeg

Taylor might have had more pre season minutes than M’bemba, but who has played more consistently over the last few years ? .

Taylor is made of glass .

• 71 check the toastie // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:45 PM

Nutmeg – not when they have conceded goals in every game, Mbemba bad Taylor for me, Williamson would be terrible in the championship, the weakest of weak links, god bless.

• 72 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:50 PM

Didn’t anyone see one of our pre season games where Williamson was chasing an opposing player (Unbelievably slowly I may add) only to run into the back of Steven Taylor while doing so, cringe worthy .

Then at the weekend Taylor in his own penalty area cuts across goal (something you should never do as a defender) and tries to take on their player, only to be dispossessed and they score instantly .

Not saying neither don’t give 100% , however they simply aren’t good enough simple as that .

• 73 Jib // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:50 PM

Mr Tuff
    You must be the slowest person on the internet.
    I love the way you gleefully jump on any error made by your targets for the month.
    Any how WRONG AGAIN FOOL Doylems press here

• 74 Bobbybee // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:52 PM

Hibbet, he’s had an achilles problem, not a hamstring, which has enabled him to train to a decent level. If he ‘s still injured, I would not even consider starting him, but if he’s over the injury, only playing him will improve his match sharpness. He might not last 90 mins, but that’s why you have subs. He’s a good pro and knows his own body, so I suspect he would not offer himself for selection if he has any doubts about the injury – as he has all pre season in case you hadn’t noticed.

• 75 Small World // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:55 PM

Bladeuser In the game of crap defender poker I raise your Williamson with my Glenn Keeley (Hibbit, Blackley and a few others could testify). Saves anybody playing Boumsong,Bramble or Marcelino.

• 76 Sazzer // Aug 3, 2015 at 5:58 PM

Basically says Sissoko to City.

• 77 Jib // Aug 3, 2015 at 6:01 PM

Mr Tuff
    I think anybody with half a brain had worked out you are a multiple.
    I had never figured Offkey to be you – well done
    So that’s Mr Tuff Offkey and Average all the same person – I’d seek medical help if I were you.

• 78 Offkey // Aug 3, 2015 at 6:03 PM

High five

• 79 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 3, 2015 at 6:05 PM

Steve McLaren live on BBC Radio Newcastle Total Sport tomorrow night

• 80 nut meg // Aug 3, 2015 at 6:06 PM

Toastie Collo has been a big reason for us leaking goals for the last 3 years or so while fully fit. Do you think he’s going to improve now that he’s not fully fit because of no minutes on the pitch & do you also think he has the ability to nurse Mbemba through what would be his PL debut? He hasn’t shown to have formed any successful partnership as far as I’m aware.He doesn’t have any of the qualities to captain or organise etc imho.

• 81 Sazzer // Aug 3, 2015 at 6:07 PM

• 82 Rotonda heights // Aug 3, 2015 at 6:15 PM

lesh at 60

very hard for any sane person to come to any other conclusion

• 83 Sazzer // Aug 3, 2015 at 6:18 PM

Well if Sissoko is off to City then Big Mike is no longer the second most.

• 84 Mister Tuff // Aug 3, 2015 at 6:20 PM

jib/jeff – nice try at not accepting responsibility for you unsavoury remarks by trying to divert attention by calling me a multiple.
    Everyone knows you are the foul mouthed trickster.
    You still have failed to explain yourself.
    Bit of a joke you calling anyone a multiple.
    Come on ,explain your comment about spastics – you said it.
    These are the times when a Google search will not help you – you have to accept responsibility yourself.
    You’re really squirming now trying to deflect attention in fact you’re on the run.

He’s on the run – release the hounds.
    High Five!

• 85 hibbit // Aug 3, 2015 at 6:20 PM

bobbybee i seen it in the journal that newcastle thanked anderleceht for looking after him but it also said he was only allowed to gym work as they did not want to risk injury at such a late stage……the boy had a good half in a very slow paced friendly were gladbach never broke sweat he wont get the time on the ball in the prem he will need time to adjust

• 86 Belfast // Aug 3, 2015 at 6:31 PM

My dad works with Dummetts Dad hahaha
    Very good. Original at least.

• 87 Jib // Aug 3, 2015 at 7:32 PM

• 88 Jib // Aug 3, 2015 at 7:59 PM

• 89 bladeuser // Aug 3, 2015 at 8:18 PM

willo gives his all who gives a f### if he gives his all he is shit and being payed thousands for being shit he should as u put it give his all whatever that means
    all u mupppet sheep think if a player
    gives 100% then that is ok
    bullshit i would rather have a 10% john terry than that useless escuse for a player williamson

• 90 Ravostag // Aug 3, 2015 at 11:08 PM

Looks like most of the action is against a defence like ours! I’m sure a couple of the defenders were Willo and Collo

• 91 loonie-toon // Aug 3, 2015 at 11:23 PM

Sazzer you say has john carver got new job ul got more chance seeing him in job centre is cv reads he was the best coach newcastle had hahahaha

• 92 // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:04 AM

Just checked this player has not signed for anybody yet, this is the player I have said for the last two weeks we should sign he is every thing newcastle need and would be a extremely great addition to the team if I had the money to buy him myself I would he is the one we need

previous post: Newcastle’s Top Youngster Has Skills Galore