Newcastle After Another Dutch International Midfielder

Newcastle were linked with 21 year-old Feyenoord winger Jean-Paul Boetius last month, and the lad is a very highly rated player who usually plays on the left wing.

We are expecting Newcastle to still try to sign three players this summer – a striker, a midfielder and a defender – and with Newcastle having difficulty agreeing a fee for Marseilles winger Florian Thauvin,  maybe this lad would be a good alternative.

JEAN-PAUL BOETIUS

Jean-Paul Boetius – could be a bargain for Newcastle

The latest report that Newcastle are interested in the left footed midfielder is in the Mail, who report that Newcastle have made inquiries about the 21 year-old who has been at Feyenoord since he was just six years old.

He has already played 96 times for Feyenoord with 20 goals and 17 assists,  and he made his debut for Holland in March of last year in a friendly game against France in Paris.

He’s played 12 times for the U21 side with two goals and was called up to the Dutch preliminary squad for the FIFA World Cup last year in Brazil, but didn’t make Louis van Gaal’s final selection.

Boetius would be a cheaper option but not necessarily a worse option that Thauvin, who Marseilles want £15M for – and that’s an awful lot for a player who has still to play for the France National side.

Jean-Paul usually plays on the left wing and he will probably cost something like £5M in the transfer market – although Newcastle could potentially get a better deal that that for him.

He would seem to offer a lot more value to Newcastle than Florian would for £15M.

Last March, north London rivals Tottenham and Arsenal were both said to be wanting to sign the Dutch international, who can also play on the right hand side, and the fee at that time was said to be £5M.

We know that Chief Scout Graham Carr has been scouting in Holland over the last year,  so maybe it’s not too surprising we are being linked with this top youngster.

Here’s some video on the player we have shown before – and they call him the young sensation.

• JackButler

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:37 PM

I’m hoping that all these links are smoke screens to cover who we are really going after

• Tinman

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:37 PM

Good insight Bobbybee, those do seem to be our 4 stand out youngsters. Would be great if we could get Kemen and Roberts loaned out too, 6months offers minimal risk if they are not getting game time at their clubs. Aarons has to play first team this year. At the moment they are all still hype, but promising at least.

I remember when Vuckic was Europes next great CAM, wanted by Chelsea, Arsenal and United, all it takes is some bad coaching, bad luck or bad attitude for a youngster to fail. The margin is so fine at the top.

Campbell ‘the next rooney’ signed for Notts County, Streete ‘the next Ferdinand’ signed for Port Vale.

• Tinman

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:37 PM

• nut meg

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:37 PM

repost
    Collo & Mbemba have played 28 minutes between them in pre-season!! Is anyone expecting him to leap like a salmon to power headers away,to sprint like a Olympic athlete to cut out danger.He is still suffering with an Achilles heel! shakes head.

• Tinman

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:38 PM

Sorry, no idea why that posted twice

• EllaGuru

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:40 PM

@nutmeg,
    I expect him to be like an Olympic headless salmon! Running around, like a man possessed, without a care in the world for positioning, teammates etc. That’s our Colo!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:41 PM

This would be a sensible buy to me! Then we need another forward, a CB a young RB 🙂

• pawl250

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:45 PM

Nut Meg

It does not take someone to be MATCH FIT to jump into the team do a job and head a ball away. Its also arguably, other than the GK position, the position that require the least amount of fitness.

I mean a Cb rarely runs past the half way line. So really he is just doing the odd run back, roughly half a pitch and then walks or jogs back up it.

Not being funny but does not require a seasoned athlete. He or should I say both (Mbemba/Colo) are also a fat slobs, they are professional footballers. Who will be somewhat fit regardless.

Match sharpness is another matter, but a blunt Mbemba/Colo is better than a samurai sword like sharp Willaimson.

Also the only way to get match fit is by playing matches. Its certainly the quickest way.

Now Tiote you have an argument he may last half a game if that and requires more work rate being in the centre of the pitch he has to hassel players around him and follow the ball.

• Robby Bobson

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:47 PM

This guys gone to Basel.

• Oldgit1

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:49 PM

I’m sure this guy has already gone to Basil,

• Polarboy

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:49 PM

He’s already signed for Basel as far as I can see. Bit of a non-story if that is the case.

• Spoof

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:49 PM

Ed, your behind the times mate, Boetius has already signed for Basel.

• hibbit

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:51 PM

ed..these names would all be good but everyone takes a number and until we sell / get rid those numbers are limited CB / FB first anyone else next

• JackButler

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:51 PM

Ed, you’re almost as slow off the mark as Colo and Willo 🙂

• Bobbybee

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:52 PM

Old git – Fawlty Towers? 😉

• pawl250

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:52 PM

Tinman

I hate these “next ????” slogans beside young players.

When Ronaldo come through the ranks do you think they labelled him, or do you think they knew he would be the next big thing, the next him so to speak.

As for our youngsters its our fans that hype them up. I heard all about this ginger Michael Owen like player, how he was gods gift in front of goal and then he came onto the pitch and I seen instantly he was not good enough.

Vuckic was obvious too, hes slower than Cilla Black (too early?) my point being he is too slow to feature in the PL elite.

He would do well at a Bournemouth sure, but he was never the next anything worth talking about. Just our fans bragging about our youth system that has literally not produced anything worthy of note for a LONG TIME.

Armstrong has a chance, but McLaren has done the right thing and instantly sent the kid on loan for experience. Pardew let him rot on our bench to play 4-5 mins every other game. Its why no youth would have made it under the bloke.

Aarons has a chance, but hes injury prone. He also needs to keep his head down. I mean he is 20 years old, he should have made it now if he was this immense player we all hype him to be.

• Bobbybee

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:59 PM

Pawl, agree with you mate. I’m sure both could fit in without being 100% if required. Mbemba has been training hard with Anderlecht and will still be doing so whilst his permit is sorted. He’ll be on board by Sunday and I wouldn’t hesitate playing him given the options.

• the broons

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:59 PM

even though its still a centre back that we need, if we were to go for either this lad or thauvin it would have to be this lad. Looks more like the pacy type winger that we need and would mean we could go with 2 out and out wingers with him and aarons.

Would actually love for this to happen cos 5 million isnt a big hit at all and i like the look of him.

• hibbit

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:00 PM

pawl i rember last week you told me i nowt about the modern game well once again your wrong modern CB are some of the fittest players in the prem its obvious by that ridiclous comment you have never kicked a ball in your life stick to your computer……..and i know nowt

• the broons

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:02 PM

pawl

i too hate those being branded. the amount of times i have the next messi with his natonality before hand in ridiculous.

Then I watch the players and the only slight resemblance is they’re same height and can play the game a little just nowhere near the same level as messi however.

• Bobbybee

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:15 PM

I wouldn’t ever call anybody the next Messi. Messi is a total one off and we won’t see his kind again for many a year. I believe Arma will make it 100%, he’s such a natural goalscorer. Like wise Aarons will make it. Kemen needs to improve his first touch, but I’d put him at 90% because of the rest of his game. Roberts needs a loan deal to find out if his promise can be fulfilled. Macca brought through Beckham & Co when at Man Utd and Cathco was Dundee’s youth coach when only 22 and is known for bringing the best out of young prospects. Our new coaching set up will make a huge difference after Pardew and Carver.

• Tsunki

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:21 PM

I wouldn’t brand anybody the next Williamson in a hurry.

• nut meg

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:29 PM

Shakes head again!

• TheToonKing

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:41 PM

really fast mobile winger , but not really the best ballplayer out there….

• hibbit

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:43 PM

pawl i have just reread your post and i find it the most ridiculous post i have ever read on this blog your talking about a lad making his debut in the premiership the hardest league in the world against some of the finest footballers on the planet and you dont think he needs to be fit thats going to do a lot for his confidence ……..stick to football manager …you know nowt about the real game

• qtoon

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:47 PM

I think we still need to do a lot of work in the transfer window. Coloccini ought to stay for experience, he may come good once he has a CB he can trust to pass to.

Sell: Williamson, Ferguson, Obertan, Marveaux
    Loan Out: Good, Satka, Mbabu, Bigi, Vuckic, Kemen, Rivière
    Buy: CF – ?Austin, CB – ?Van Dijk, RB – ?Byram, LW – ?Shaqiri

Then we should have decent cover for all positions. If loan players underperform they should also be sold as they’ve been around long enough to impress here. If Haidara/Dummett don’t perform well enough LB should be the priority in January, perhaps Willems from PSV.

If I was manager, this is what I’d set out to do. Don’t worry lads, I’ll go out and get me coaching badges this summer.

What would you all do?

Qtoon

• terencelim

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:48 PM

@hibbit Pawl just need some attention on the internet he has been making countless of ridiculous post and wrong predictions in the past.

• pawl250

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:07 PM

Teren

Who are you? I have not even heard of you….. ever.

As for the attention part, could not give two monkeys about what people think or say about me hence not being a regular poster I do not seek or require attention from an online group.

I post what I think and why I think it. And its a free world we all have opinions.

Hibbit

Wind ya neck in. Your obsessed with me. You are saying a CB needs to be fitter than a midfielder? A wing back? a winger? All who require to get up and down, and from side to side across the pitch for a whole 90 minutes.

A central defender rarely ventures past the half way line and his job is even easier when a team is dominating as he will be at the back with little movement or standing on half way watching our team with the ball. The worst kind of game a defender could hope for is end to end, which in all honesty is rare for Newcastle United.

Your argument can only be valid for a striker, but match sharpness is everything in a striker. The instinct to get that little yard in front of a defender or to swing a well timed boot.

A defender does not need pace. John Terry and Woodgate proved that. As have countless of others Mertsacker, Hangeland, Vidic…… list really does go on.

A centre backs biggest tool at his disposal is never his strength or his pace, or his jump. Its his mind. If a player can read the game, his anticipation of the movement in play is everything. That is not something required by fitness. As I said maybe match sharpness, but not fitness. It is why John Terry was the best defender in the league last year.

Coloccini will be fit enough to start a PL game, whether he could finish I am not so sure, but certainly enough to get 70 mins under his belt. It is also the quickest way to get up to full match fitness. You would not put a defender on the bench to gain any that is for sure. He would have trained behind the scenes and as I said he is a professional footballer who will by contract need to keep his fitness to a certain level during breaks.

As for Mbemba, he has completed a full pre season with Anderlect. So chomp down old man and stop being bitter.

As for Campbell, did he turn out to be the next Michael Owen? Where is he now? Oh wait no he didn’t and he does not even play in the PL that is how good he turned out to be so in my brief assessment yes I could be wrong when I first saw him, but I wasn’t. At least with some players you can see quality, in him I could not. AND to some degree it does not matter when he plays or where he plays his first game as a young player. If you cannot handle the occasion you will not make it. Perez is a prime example of a young kid that can do great things because he has the confidence to rise to the occasion.

• sweendog

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:09 PM

talk of him signing for 3.25m euros for Basel, ed

• hibbit

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:13 PM

very brave behind a computer……. stick to football manager you might be better at that then the real thing

• Jib

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:17 PM

pawl250
    When you find yourself in a hole stop digging.
    The more you prattle about the fitness issue , the bigger fool you look.
    I know all I need to about you from that tasteless Cilla Black remark.

• pawl250

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:21 PM

Hibbit

I do not even play Football Manager, although I used to 10 years ago maybe. I do play Fifa, but online if/when I do with friends so it has nothing to do with managing at all.

I say what I think, and know what I know. If you do not agree and therefore have anything remotely constructive to say then move on and do not say anything at all. Its simple.

Also again with the pathetic threats “hidden behind my computer” how old are you again? Teens from the sounds the sound of things. GROW UP it only makes you sound like a brute and pathetic!

It is like you are calling me out, or atleast implying it without actually saying it.

I can say what I want on this blog, aslong as it is football related as do you. As I said above if you do not want to engage in conversation then do not bother just jog on.

I simply will ignore ALL of your posts in the future, including any reply to this post if you make one.

NICE KNOWING YOU! Take care.

• midweek weekend

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:26 PM

can i just add for the record, football manager is a very decent game, only real football managing game out there, i took newcastle to the league cup final on 2015 one, lost 3-1 to spurs, i was gutted…

but back to real life, does anyone know if mbemba will be available for the Southampton game, or colo for that matter ?

• Mister Tuff

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:27 PM

Jib/Jeff – how on earth can you criticise anyone for their remarks on here. You are such a bigoted hypocrite
    You’ve already been asked (and failed) to justify your comments about spastics, which I find grossly offensive.
    Come on lets hear it -start digging your hole

• Slank

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:31 PM

Pawl @ 28

Just to concur that a central defenders greatest asset is being able to read the game and anticipate which usually comes with experience.

The great Bobby Moore was the master of reading the game and anticipating the next move. Colo’s strength is reading the game and anticipation.

I once read about a forward, whose name escapes me but it could have been the great Gerd Muller, and it said he was so lethal because he was yards faster in his brain than all others around him.

• pawl250

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:35 PM

Jib

Was pretty tasteless in fairness. But if you do not agree then simply tell me why constructively or as I said above move on.

A defender in the PL does not need to be match fit. Woodgate was arguably the best defender to grace our back four and hardly was match fit. I agree you lose quality in terms of the ability to move as freely around the pitch but I would be willing to accept that if it means not playing Williamson.

As I said a half fit Colo and a pretty much fully fit Mbemba given he has had a pre season with his previous club over Taylor and Williamson any day.

I do not understand why it is such an issue what I said. These players need game time, without it they will never get fully match fit for the PL.May aswell start now opposed to later, and if he needs swapped within 90 mins then do it, as I said a superior player than Williamson so minimize Williamsons time on the pitch.

I suppose its a pointless debate anyway because we should have a defender in that we trust more and too replace the likes of Colo and Mbemba if they are injured/banned.

• dok - the horrid colonial

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:40 PM

When you find yourself in a hole stop digging.

the bigger fool you look….

coming from jib/jeff/jane, thank you… I needed a good laugh this morning…

• Jib

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:40 PM

Mister Tuff
    It is getting very close to an email to Dr Ed time.
    I’m not Jeff and I have never made any comment on spastics. OK

• Jib

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:42 PM

Dok
    Fair comment
    However have you read what the fool Pawl is saying about the fitness of footballers

• pawl250

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:46 PM

Slank

Its true, if a player can foresee what he wants to do and in effect make a decision earlier it would be a great asset in any sport.

If you think about something like a penalty shoot out. If you are indecisive it could never be a good thing. But knowing what you plan on doing and executing it is two different things.

I suppose ability does come into the fold, Muller being the player he was it would have only enhanced him as a player though.

I certainly think a defenders greatest asset is his ability to read the game. I know I name drop Woodgate alot but his quality really did stand out, and it was a pleasure watching him at our club sort the likes of OBrien, Hughes and Bramble out. Time stopped when he had the ball, I mean he seemed to be so calm and never really showed any sign of nerves at the back.

I think we could do with some of that these days, the amount of confusion in a box scramble our players just hoof in hope it gets away.

He made his defensive team mates, our below average defenders look solid though. 1 defender managed to do that. I honestly think if it was not for his injuries he could have been one of the best defenders (centrally) to grace the game.

Their is a reason Real Madrid came in for him.