The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Lyon President Quotes Massive Newcastle Offer For Thauvin

9:35 am, Monday, August 3rd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 27 Comments

Newcastle have had a lot of dealings with Lyon’s outspoken President Jean Michel Aulas over the last few years, and one of them was a couple of years ago when we were trying to buy his striker Bafe Gomis in the days when Joe Kinnear was the Director of Football at Newcastle.

Last summer we were also after striker Alexandre Lacazette.

It turned out that Bafe went nowhere that summer, but saw out the last year of his contract and signed for Swansea last summer, and he’s done OK at the south Wales club.

Football : Presentation de Pape Diakhate nouvelle recrue de Lyon - 31.08.2010 - Jean Michel Aulas ( president )

Jean Michel Aulas – Lyon’s outspoken President

It has been reported this summer that Newcastle are very keen on getting Marseilles’ winger Florian Thauvin to Tyneside, and the Lyon President is using Newcastle’s reported bid as a way of getting more for his 21 year-old striker/forward Clinton N’Jie.

Tottenham are the club after N’Jie, although we were even linked with him over the weekend – but if Newcastle think they can get N’Jie for less money than Thauvin – then think again.

This is what Jean Michel Aulas has said in the Le Parisien:

“When we were approached, we did not answer that the amount was not enough, but that Clinton would not leave.”

“We have not set a price, but I read the papers and I see that Newcastle has proposed €16m or €17m for Thauvin.”

“So if he were to leave, it would surely not be at a price below that.”

€17M is around £12M with today’s exchange rate.

It’s a wonder Aulas believes the fees being banded around the newspapers – but maybe he doesn’t –  but it simply serves his purpose that they get the absolute maximum fee for Clinton N’Jie.

Newcastle were even reported to have bid £10.5M for N’Jie, but even if we did it’s likely to be turned down by Lyon’s outspoken President Jean Michel Aulas.

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

27 responses so far ↓

• 1 pawl250 // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:40 AM

Melt

He did for Holland under LVG. AND they made it very far in the World Cup with him in that position.

He is a box to box player, Cabaye played that deep for us and was our best player. Despite the masses of bloggers stating he would be better in the CAM position he just simply was not.

Wijnaldum is an engine. He is strong and good on the ball. Its exactly what we need in that position.

Sissoko is defo in his best position from what we seen of him in the middle last year he really lacks the work rate and does not suit the centre midfield style of play.

I have seen many line ups with Wijnaldum on the right wing and I just think one word – Pardew. Its exactly the kind of stupid half a***d thing he would have done.

He is a central player. I honestly think our best CAM is De Jong, he is danger in and around the box and is the type of player when you watch him he looks like he has the ball forever and has the ability to pick out a pass.

He even did it on Saturday but Mitrovic missed a glorious chance hitting the post late on.

Alot of people do not even know who he was until he signed for us but I have been wanting him here for atleast 2-3 years, go back and look at my posts if you wish!

• 2 pawl250 // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:42 AM

Hibbit

I did not say that will be the team thats starts against Southampton.

Can you even read?!

I mean you are literately like that blue thing on that new Disney film that is always sad, putting a downer on everything.

You will most likely be one of those fans that when we finished 5th cried/moaned because we didn’t finish 4th!

I mean cheer up. AND in future READ the comments before blabbing, at no point did I say that was the team to start our next match. Just our best 11 right now in MY opinion, not YOURS!

• 3 JackButler // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:43 AM

£12 million for a player voted in the worse 11 in France last season???

No thanks you, we already have one light weight who is struggling in this league, adding another and one whose a million miles away from any kind of form is stupidity.

If SM, Carr and Charnley can’t see that it’s at the back we are the weakest and it there that the investment needs to be made then we should all give up.

Every other manager builds from the back, every other manager apart from the NUFC manager it seems

• 4 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:45 AM

thanks jamsha

• 5 pawl250 // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:45 AM

Jack

I agree Thauvin would not be my pick neither.

I would probably put that 12m into a right back and centre back to make our balance much better.

I mean Van Dijk is quoted at 8m, I would take a chance on that price leaving approx 4m to go for a young right back willing to bide their time/learn the trade whilst pushing Janmaat in the first team.

• 6 hibbit // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:47 AM

pawl…..i did not say you did i asked you was it your team for sunday….. cheeky little git aren’t you

• 7 lesh // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Aulas, Chairman, who reads about our offer in the papers?

Ok, whatever.

• 8 JackButler // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:49 AM

Pawl

Agree mate, 12 million spent on the back four would have a far bigger impact than an over rated, out of form light weight.

Van Dijk on a good youngster to back up Jannmat would see us in a far stronger position going into the season

• 9 jayphoto // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:50 AM

Thauvin was only voted the worst because with the ability he has he didn’t deliver. Hes really got everything, think he’d thrive in england similar to Nasri at Arsenal!
    Trying not to judge Cabella till this season. Its been known for players to take time to settle and pardew and carver didn’t seem to put much emphasis on playing to his strengths and i can’t imagine the tactical coaching was much to shout about. Cabella has the attributes to be a good player but he’s not a get to the byline winger. He also needs the ball to feet, noticed he got a lot to head from willo in particular and also a lot played in behind, not sure he had the pace to outrun fullbacks

• 10 hibbit // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:50 AM

pawl i have had a season ticket through thick and thin for the last 36 years i don’t need someone like you telling me what kind of fan i am

• 11 pawl250 // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:53 AM

Well you did not wait for a reply?!

Instead you ASSUMED! And dismantled my comment like a sad little man, opposed to reading it and saying to yourself “well he did not say the team against Southampton”.

MY TEAM FOR SOUTHAMTPON

———————– Krul
    Janmaat – Mbemba – Coloccini – Haidara
    ———– Wijnaldum – Colback
    Sissoko ——— De Jong —— Aarons
    ——————– Mitrovic

Team I would like too see (hopefully Mbemba is sorted by then) as I will be at the game on Sunday. As for Colo with no pre season, the best way to get match fitness is to play matches. So stick him in and see how long he can go.

IF neither can make it. Taylor and Lascelles would be my centre back pairing as Williamson should be the last resort in my opinion.

Subs Darlow, Lascelles, Taylor, Anita, Obertan, Perez, Cisse

IF Taylor and Lascelles need to play, Williamson and Abeid come onto the bench.

• 12 JackButler // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:53 AM

Jay

He didn’t deliver in a league that’s far less physical, not as quick and where you get more time and space on the ball, if he can’t do it there what is there to suggest that he can do it in the most physical league in the world?

Above all we don’t need that type of player before the obvious weaknesses we have, if we had a solid back line and strike force then fair enough take a punt on the lad, but with the current state of our squad he would be a luxury we simply can’t afford

• 13 welshgeordie9 // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:54 AM

So if we are not bringing in another centre back then i hope mbemba gets the best out of the other three stooges.

• 14 Big Steve // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:54 AM

12 mil + Willo for Van Duke and Byram. Get it done now pleeeeeze.

• 15 melt // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Pawl, I completely agree, However, I don’t see Colback getting dropped, or Aarons getting a start on Opening Day. Gino is a central player, of course, I’m not suggesting he plays on the wing. I see it as something like this

————-Krul————-

Janmaat-Colo-Mbemba-Haidara

———–Colback————

——-Sissoko——Gino——

————Siem—————

——-Mitrovic——Cisse—–

Not much width there, I don’t particularly like Mitro and Cisse as a partnership, and I don’t think 2 up top will last very long at all, but I think that’s how he goes. I’m ready to be proved wrong though.

• 16 welshgeordie9 // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:56 AM

Like i said before we are either going to win games 3-2, 4-3 or lose.

• 17 JackButler // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Honestly think our starting 11 will be very, very close to the one we saw on the weekend, the only change I can see is de Jong starting in place of Gini, other than that I seriously doubt SM will change anything

• 18 pawl250 // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Hibbit

I have had a season ticket since I was in my teens also INCLUDING the Championship year. That said I cannot do much about how long, given I am 28 this year.

Does not make you anymore or less of a fan though.

• 19 Big Steve // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:58 AM

Sorry. Van Dyke.

• 20 hibbit // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:59 AM

it was a simple question with no intent looking for your line up no other reason i actually agree with yours and jacks comments on the back 4 but you chose to bite

• 21 will die for the toon army // Aug 3, 2015 at 9:59 AM

Best team for Sunday:
    ……………………Krul
    Jannmatt……Mbemba…..Colo………Haidara
    Sissoko…….Wijnaldum……Colback……Aarons
    ………………………………De Jong
    ……………………………….Mitrovic
    4-4-1-1
    Subs: Darlow, Taylor, Anita, Perez, Obertan, Cisse, Goufrann.

• 22 Whumpie // Aug 3, 2015 at 10:01 AM

As thibgs stand I think our squad is only good for 12th to 15th. We are just too poor at the back. I suspect that Maclaren has blown the wedge on these three in the hope Colo has one more good aeason in him. This achilles problem has probably scared him into realising that gamble won’t pay off.
    Personally I’m holding out until midnight on the 31st but I have a nasty feeling that my pessimistic, miserable prediction for the window will prove correct.

• 23 martoon // Aug 3, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Chancel/TFL – As I understand it the Windows 10 upgrade is free so I don’t see the point of using one from a dodgy torrent stream. I understand you lost all your settings, in the past whenever I’ve upgraded I used the ‘Windows Transfer Tool’. This copies all your docs and settings and you store them on a jump drive, memory stick etc. as a transfer file. Once you’ve upgraded you can then restore all your docs and settings from this transfer file – I presume there will be a similar tool for upgrade to Windows 10?

• 24 toon kk // Aug 3, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Melt
    Your team, like you say, where’s the width?
    Also where’s the real pace? We’d end up like headless chickens.

• 25 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 3, 2015 at 10:09 AM

Martoon, I used the Tool and downloaded from Microsoft themselves, I lost everything and also found windows 10 to be very poor. I am happy to stick with windows 7 🙂

• 26 Ravostag // Aug 3, 2015 at 11:29 AM

Can he also play at CB?

• 27 SA Toon // Aug 3, 2015 at 12:34 PM

I see some reports suggesting that Lyon are looking to bring in Valbuena. A possible replacement for Thauvin….

previous post: Newcastle Unlikely To Bring In Another Specialist Center-Back