The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Must Continue Spending The Big Money

9:31 am, Tuesday, August 4th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 186 Comments

Former Newcastle United legend Rob Lee has said what a lot of fans are thinking – that we still need to sign more players before September rolls around, and the conventional wisdom seems to be that we need a defender, another creative midfielder, and a striker to complete the business.

If Newcastle can do that it will have been a successful summer transfer market.

Rob Lee

Rob Lee with Alan Shearer while at Newcastle

This is what former central midfielder Rob Lee has said in Kicca today:

“Newcastle have made a few impressive signings in the last few weeks, but it’s now all gone a bit quiet.”

“I hope the club bosses haven’t decided to close their check book because they still need to sign several more players to be able to compete once more in the Premier League.”

“I’ve been saying all along that Charlie Austin would be a great signing for the club, but if they do bid for him they must get him.”

“If he goes elsewhere then that will be a big blow for the club.”

If Newcastle insist on waiting to sign Austin we could screw up,  and wouldn’t it be better to sign him before the beginning of the season?

And we hope Newcastle are not getting cold feet about the money we have spent so far this summer – about £36M so far – keep spending it.

And if the powers that be want proof  of why we need to still spend big bucks just think of the last 11 games of last season.

Before the final day win against the Hammers – we had only one point in 10 games and were the worst team in the Premier League.

Even bottom of the table QPR were able to beat us fairly easily.

We don’t want that to happen again this season do we?

As we said – keep spending.

Tags: Financials · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

186 responses so far ↓

• 1 Slank // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Yes Rob, Charlie Austin would be a good signing for the club as backup striker to Mitrovic but not at £15M with only one year left on his contract.

• 2 jayphoto // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:38 AM

@beermonkey – yeah a loan would have benefited the club. Think the player needed a permanent move though. Not entirely sure Abeid has been that fairly treated in his time at Nufc!
    Oddly, when we signed him it was huge news in France! He was highly thought of at Lens, had a killer reserve season when he was very young. French press at the time classed him as a big prospect for their national team and were concerned that big bad newcastle would ruin his development…

• 3 jayphoto // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:39 AM

Don’t really want Austin! Would rather we signed a striker with genuine pace that would look to go in behind! We’ve lacked that since bellamy

• 4 Yellow Belly // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:45 AM

I was looking at Transfermarkt at the premier league squad values and it makes an interesting read.

I am sure this is the kind of logic Ashley looks at

1 Chelsea FC £396.38m
    15 Sunderland £68.60m
    16 Leicester City £58.66m
    17 Watford £56.18m
    18 Norwich £54.60m
    19 West Brom £54.25m
    20 Bournemouth £28.88m

If everything was equal you would expect us to finish 9th – After the last couple of years I think I would take that.

Of course things are not equal, you have injuries, luck, morale and the main thing the manager.

The gap to the top 4 is a massive £175m but the gap to the relegation is only £52m so it is easier to underperform (Carver) than it is to over perform.
    If McClaren was to over perform realistically a 7th finish would be excellent.

Our squad value is probably low because we finished so low and this is probably Ashley’s motivation.

To get into the Champions League in the next 3 years we could go out and spend £175m but the players of that class would not want to come unless they were pure mercenaries.

The other option is to buy fairly young players 20-23 with huge potential. As long as we do not sell them and they get better the squad value will increase a lot naturally.
    For this 3 year formula to work when looking at a player you would need to ask in 3 years time will this player be good enough for say Chelsea first team, does he cost less than say £20m now, is aged say 20-24, are his wages less than 50K. All 3 we have bought so far fit this category!
    The problem with this is that next year you would have to change the category to will they be good enough for Chelsea in 2 years and the year after 1 year.

So it would make more economical sense to get 1 or 2 more this year but it gets harder too because you are looking at specific positions.

So the question is who in our squad would be good enough for the Champions league in 3 year’s time?
    Sissoko (maybe)
    Cabella (big maybe if our new style suits him better)
    Lascellas (maybe)
    De Jong (maybe)

• 5 Bobbybee // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:45 AM

Said my bit on Austin over the page and Rob Lee hasn’t changed my mind 😉

• 6 Slank // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:46 AM

Abeid needs and deserves first team football.

With Gini, Tiote, Colback and Anita he would probably get few, if any, games for the club.

Good luck to him in Germany.

• 7 Marty-Toon // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:47 AM

15 mill is a lot for someone with just a year left but the bin dippers paid 12 for Ings and he was out of contract.
    We say we’ve spent big money but they’ve spent that much on Benteke alone,the Pl is a big money game now to even get near the top six.
    I however like that we don’t overspend yet get in quality like Janmaat,Gini and so on.
    We do however need as all can see another CB,get in Van Dijk

• 8 kimbo // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:53 AM

Abeid or Anita , Abeid is a far better player but he was hung out to dry by Carver and blamed for a Krul mistake and his career was finished at NUFC. Such a shame but another talented young player destroyed by Newcastle…who next …Perez?

• 9 Bobbybee // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Yellow, good post. Not sure about Darlow and Lascelles – time will tell. As for De Jong, I’d put him right up there with the best. When he came on on Saturday he showed how the new football philosophy suited him down to the ground. He has great vision and silky skills. The few games we saw of him last term he was wasted because we bypassed him by hitting it long. Think he’ll come into his own this season. I’d also add Woodman and Arma to the list.

• 10 nut meg // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:54 AM

According to transfer market Antonio Rudiger is back from injury tomorrow.I’m hoping we’re waiting for medical infomation & that something has been going on behind the scenes.I live in hope that we have a plan to fix something that is so so obvious to anyone who cares to look.

• 11 beermonkey // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:54 AM

I agree I don’t think he was fairly treated by us either in games or going out onloan and as for carver scapegoating him that was prob it for him with us

I actually think he would have suited us with McLaren and a loan move would have given McLaren time and him the games

• 12 Magpie Season // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:56 AM

Still can’t believe Abeid is gone.

So much for the clean slate policy. Performances in training & pre-season are so, so much different to actual competitive matches.

Oh well…another promising young player never given a proper chance at Newcastle United.

• 13 Magpie Season // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:58 AM

I don’t think it would be Perez mate but you can pretty much guarantee with the departure of Abeid that those below him in the squad, such as Vuckic, Bigi, Ferguson, etc will definiently go.

• 14 Slank // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:58 AM

Yellow Belly

You should forget about Champions League now and at anytime in the future.

To get a top four place in the league we have to be better than either Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd and the also rans Liverpool, Spurs and Southampton. I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

We would laugh at fans from Stoke, Villa, Palace, Swansea, Sunderland and WBA if they said that their teams would be in the Champions League in three years time.

• 15 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:59 AM

Marty-Toon…a tribunal decided the cost of Ings to Liverpool. The biggest tribunal so far was Sturridge move at £6.5M so I hardly believe Liverpool paid £12M!

• 16 Magpie Season // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:00 AM

Abeid leaving I think also means Tiote will stay.
    Assuming we play 2 holding players, only Colback & Tiote. We have no proper cover, meaning a player who plays in that position as his first choice.

He did well Abeid, especially against Man City. I’m suprised a Ligue Un club did not go after him but a German 2nd Division.

• 17 hibbit // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:01 AM

magpie season…… this just maybe the best thing for abeid not the club fresh start and all that…… good luck to the lad

• 18 Magpie Season // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Pardew spent 6 million pounds on Connor Wickham.

I guess this is why Ashley didn’t give him money to spend all those years.

• 19 Bobbybee // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Marty, not sure Liverpool is a good example. They’re a club who believe in spending silly money, thinking the cost relates to the quality when it clearly doesn’t. Let’s be honest, why pay £12m for a player you could get for free and in all fairness is likely to spend his time there on the bench? They have a long list of players they’ve clearly overpaid for lately. Value for money, I’m happy with who we’ve bought to be frank.

• 20 Whumpie // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Why does Rob Lee – just like so many others – say we need to keep spending, but then talk about another **** striker?

Yes, we need more players – but isn’t it screamingly obvious that we need more defenders first? We’re starting with the same pairing that failed so badly last season; doesn’t that say everything? Even with Mbemba in, he’s going to have to work with either a slow 34-year-old, a thick-as-mince local lad who can’t stay on the pitch and collects red cards as a hobby, a kid who wasn’t all that good in the Championship, an academy student, or someone out of position.

Yeah. That’ll be fine. Just like it was last season…

• 21 Magpie Season // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:05 AM

LOL!! didn’t know this about Mitrovic (excerpt from F365):

4) Aleksandar Mitrovic (Newcastle United)

I think that Georginio Wijnaldum (or Geordie Wine Gum, as he’s been christened) could be one of the signings of the summer, but there is a special place in all of our hearts for a striker who has a reputation for being absolutely bats**t mental.

Mitrovic has scored 36 goals in 69 league games for Anderlecht since moving from Partizan Belgrade in 2013, and scored against both Arsenal and Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League last season. That’s the boring bits out of the way.

In May 2014 he head-butted Club Brugge defender Bjorn Engels, after being sent off for allegedly spitting at fans who were insulting him in the reverse fixture. A year earlier he was sent off for violent conduct after striking Neftchi Baku’s goalkeeper in the Europa League. He put on weight over summer 2014 after eating too much of his mother’s cooking, and celebrates goals by flicking his tongue between his middle and index finger. You wouldn’t take him home to meet your mother, but you might do if you knew she was out.

It could go brilliantly or it could be a disaster, but it will always be worth watching. Mitrovic has spoken about following in the footsteps of Alan Shearer at St James’ Park. Combine Faustino Asprilla and Temuri Ketsbaia for more likely (and exciting) expectations.

• 22 hibbit // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:06 AM

magpie season according to most papers it was 9m

• 23 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Magpie Season…I thought it was £9M?

• 24 beermonkey // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:10 AM

magpie season

not sure whether tiote will stay he like collo and sissoko have all looked fed up and haven’t been bothered, it could be training with carver week in week out the way we have played I would imagine carver was unbearable when he had the job, peacocking around and shouting
    now maybe new manager and coach will inspire them to stay and play but I am not sure

• 25 nut meg // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Has a tribunal decided on a fee for Danny Ings ?

• 26 Magpie Season // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Yeah my bad. 9 mil.

Highlights my point even more though.

• 27 Yellow Belly // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:13 AM

Slank – I was being optimistic but I must dream the dream – Can we agree on 4 years then? – I can (want) see the club have a realistic plan now!

• 28 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:15 AM

nut meg…the deal has gone through so I would think so.

• 29 martoon // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Earlier somebody (I think it was offkey) suggested we do predictions like last year. This was collated by ToonDarnSarf – I don’t have time to do this but I’ve dug out the prediction criteria if anybody wants a go this year- they were:-
    Final position in league
    Number of points in league
    League Cup round
    FA Cup round
    Number of 1st team signings this season
    Number of 1st team leaving this season
    Top goal scorer
    Number of goals for top goal scorer
    Month that AP is sacked (or not)
    New manager if AP is sacked

Obviously the last two are not significant – hopefully McClaren will last the season 🙂

• 30 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Magpie Season…I didn’t say it would make the case for Pardew any better 😉 lol

But remember alot of ppl on here wanted to spend £10M or more on him when he moved to Sunderland!

• 31 jaymucca // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:20 AM

“you should forget about champions league now and at any time in the future”?

I’d hate to follow football with such pessimism. It goes without saying, it is very unlikely in the next 3 years that we will come close to champions league football. But it won’t stop me hoping for it and getting excited about the prospect of challenging the top 4. People support football differently, maybe some people enjoy mediocrity and watching their team push for 10th place. But the reason I follow NUFC and always have done, is for the excitement and thrill of believing that one day, we will have our time at the top.

I mean no disrespect, but if you do not have a glimmer of hope for the same, then I don’t understand why you follow football.

We are undoubtedly a mediocre team. But do you think Greece ever thought they had a chance of winning the Euros? Let’s forget about our cynicism, at least until the season has begun.

• 32 Slank // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Yellow Belly

I would be over the moon and probably over the neighbours wife if we qualified for the Champions League but there has to be a simultaneous catastrophic loss of form of some of the big boys and an unbelievable change in our fortunes where we had the rub of the green in every match.

Between 8 and 12 in the league with good cup runs and perhaps winning one of them is our destiny.

• 33 Blofal // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Simon Smith has replaced Andy Woodman apparently.

• 34 nut meg // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:23 AM

As far as I am aware is doesn’t stop the deal going through. The two clubs try to sort a fee out before hand because the tribunal can be a bit of a lottery which they try to avoid.It’s just that I haven’t seen anything reported that a fee has been set.

• 35 davetoon // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:24 AM

@yellow the way I see it is the only way that we get anywhere near the top 6 or 7 or get anywhere in the cups is to dramatically improve our defensive play and try and emulate Moyes Everton by shutting out teams and getting them on the break.
    We had a lot of luck doing this with Pardew where our goal seemed to have an invisible barrier in front of it but good luck to Stevie Mac if that is his plan for this season.

• 36 jayphoto // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:27 AM

Has the Ings fee been sorted yet? I saw it was estimated to be between 6-8m.
    Would have preferred Ings to Austin. Really liked his workrate and off the ball movement! Can’t see him getting much game time at Liverpool mind behind Benteke and Sturridge. Sneaky feeling Brendan might be the first manager to get the boot….

• 37 Slank // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:27 AM

jaymucca @ 31

I have hope but am also a realist.

Supporting the club since 1960 has conditioned my view and set my expectations.

I was too young for the FA Cup successes in the 1950s but was at all the home games when we won the Fairs Cup.

I suppose I am more fortunate than many others on this blog although I wouldn’t want to wish on them some of the dreadful dross served up in the 1970s and 1980s.

• 38 jayphoto // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:28 AM

@Martoon – not sure how I feel about predictions, I was like a riviere shot last year, missed by a mile!

• 39 Yellow Belly // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Jaymucca – Ditto – Well put

• 40 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:30 AM

nut meg…I cannot know for sure, but I think w
    I think we have past Burnley and Liverpool agreeing on June 30th 🙂

I would think a tribunal fee has been set and it will not be at £12M also twice the fee of Sturridge 😉

• 41 Slank // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:31 AM

I may go out tomorrow if I can borrow a coat to wear

Oh, I’d step out in style with my sincere smile and my dancin’ bear.

Outrageous, alarming, courageous, charming

Oh who would think a boy and bear would be well accepted everywhere

Well it’s just amazing how fair people can be

Seen at the nicest places where well-fed faces all stop to stare

Making the grandest entrance is Simon Smith and his dancing bear.

They’ll love us won’t they? They feed don’t they?

Oh who would think a boy and bear could be well-accepted everywhere

Well, it’s just amazing how fair people can be.

Well who needs money when you’re funny

The big attraction everywhere will be Simon Smith and his dancing bear

Yeah, Simon Smith and the Amazing Dancing Bear

• 42 Magpie Season // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:32 AM

Only thing wrong with what you said:

“But the reason I follow NUFC and always have done, is for the excitement and thrill of believing that one day, we will have our time at the top.”

You forgot to put the word ”again’ at the end mate.

A club like Palace will never aspire for Champions League because they have a threshold (which can be broken) but us, we were there before. We were the top clubs before. But yeah, good post. The season before we finished 5th nobody predicted us to be in qualification for CL next season. If we hadn’t lost to Wigan…

• 43 jayphoto // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:34 AM

9m for Wickham? Tricky one because at times he has shown form that warrants that type of fee. I’ve seen games where he has taken it by the scruff of the neck and he stepped up for Sunderland when it mattered last season.
    Pretty sure Sunderland paid 8m plus 4m in appearance triggers that were all triggered so they effectively paid 12m for him?
    He’s only 22, and has a lot of premier league behind him. We class Ayoze as one for the future and they’re the same age.
    Needs developing, needs to work hard but I reckon in 3-4 years palace could end up making a decent margin on that deal!
    Pardews system of wingers and crosses will probably see him score a few goals aswell

• 44 jaymucca // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:35 AM

Slank @ 37

I see your point, and being 21 myself, maybe my long term pessimistic, cynical approach is yet to be drilled into me by NUFC. But the best memories from football don’t come from realistic thinking. The best memories come from the times where we tricked ourselves into believing that the impossible was possible.

Isn’t all fun and joy from football sourced from optimism and hope? I look back in frustration and anger at the current regime and how our club is wasted under the hands of Mike Ashley, but the day I stop believing that there are good times around the corner, is the day I lose interest in following football.

Maybe it’s a childish way of thinking, but who can deny the excitement that came from watching football as a naïve, awestricken child in the stands?

• 45 martoon // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:36 AM

My Predictions:

Final position in league 10
    Number of points in league 48
    League Cup round 3
    FA Cup round 6
    Number of 1st team signings this season 5
    Number of 1st team leaving this season 5
    Top goal scorer Mitrovic
    Number of goals for top goal scorer 14

• 46 Bobbybee // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Magpie season. I read that earlier myself, but I think they’re being unfair to the lad. His previous manager accepted he did have a bit of a rep, but said he’d put it behind him and settled down to become a real worker and shed his bad boy image. He also explained his goal celebration as being related to the press – cutting off their tongue for continually trying to portray him as a bad lad after he had changed his attitude. He’s stopped using it by all accounts after it was pointed out how it was being portrayed in the press. What nobody can take away from him is his goalscoring record – better than one every other game for Anderlecht. Also rated as one of the best ten young players on the planet I read somewhere. Due to Ashley’s crazy press ban, we can always expect jealous media outlets to have a dig whenever possible. That’s one thing he needs to address quickly.

• 47 jaymucca // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:38 AM

Magpie Season @42

Haha. It’s an easy mistake to make when you’re only 21.

• 48 Slank // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:39 AM

Yes, keep the faith.

One day the gods will smile on us. I’ll probably be dead by then !

• 49 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:39 AM

• 50 Magpie Season // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:39 AM

Blofal @33:

• 51 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:41 AM

Final position in league 9th
    Number of points in league 52
    League Cup round 5
    FA Cup round Semi-Finals
    Number of 1st team signings this season 6
    Number of 1st team leaving this season 4
    Top goal scorer Mitrovic
    Number of goals for top goal scorer 17

• 52 jaymucca // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:41 AM

Well hopefully for all of us that is not the case. 🙂

• 53 Slank // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:41 AM

Magpie Season

The Bear Blog

• 54 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Magpie Season

Newcastle United themselves

• 55 Magpie Season // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:43 AM

That’s good then. But still in the Belgian Pro League it’s always a higher gamble than someone in EPL, Bundesliga or La Liga. Álso, I don’t know mate I mean people rarely change their character & the EPL is much more physical. How he will cope to players targeting & harassing him & the fans here only time will tell.

Reports about him will also be exacerbated by the fact Ashely also banned the free food provided to media outlets during the match. The more for him.

• 56 Magpie Season // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:44 AM

Take a Chancel,

Thanks. Sounds like a decent appointment.

• 57 Magpie Season // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:46 AM

Only 21?

Ah, then you don’t remember Shola Ameobi’s goal against Barcelona…yet you still have hope. Good lad lol.

• 58 jayphoto // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:46 AM

Final position in league 8
    Number of points in league 51
    League Cup round 4
    FA Cup round QF
    Number of 1st team signings this season 6
    Number of 1st team leaving this season 4
    Top goal scorer – yet to be signed
    Number of goals for top goal scorer 14

• 59 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:46 AM

So this is Newcastle’s new GK Coach?

• 60 Magpie Season // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:48 AM

Slank @48:

You have to outlive Ashely at least mate. Hang in there & stay healthy.

• 61 Bobbybee // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Jaymucca, never lose that optimism mate. I’m 58 and still go into every season with the hope that this season might be the one. I’ve witnessed serious garbage throughout the 70’s and 80’s – and recently of course – but I won’t give up hoping and believing. This is just the start of another chapter in the life and times of a woefully underachieving club with so much potential. Can Macca get us playing exciting football? Yes, I believe he can. Will our new signings come good? You better believe it! Can we win anything? The possibilities are endless – why not, if we take cups seriously? I still get that buzz going to games and pray I never lose it.

• 62 Slank // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Take a Chancel on me @ 59

Yep, that’s the one.

• 63 jaymucca // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:52 AM

And all these years I was thinking it was a myth!

• 64 will die for the toon army // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:54 AM

It looks like Lee Charnely has got his way. He got his Head Coach and backroom staff without paying compensation. Woodman has left after alot of patience. Damn this guy is good. Now I really think Sissoko Cisse and Tiote are next.

• 65 Rotonda heights // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Can’t believe Rob hasn’t mentioned signing any good foreign players!!

I’m all for signing one of Berahino, Clinton N’jie, even Rolan, as they are different types of striker to the 27 year old Austin with one good season behind him, a tad suspect medically and valued at 15M, with one year on his contract left.

Not saying Austin wouldn’t be good but don’t quite get the clamour for him when if we are going in to to the season with either of Saylor or Willo starting, alarm bells should be ringing very very loudly.

• 66 Slank // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:57 AM

‘ I’ve witnessed serious garbage throughout the 70’s and 80’s ‘

These young whipper snappers like Jaymucca have not be tainted and subjected to real horror shows as we have.

They must be pure and unadulterated. Oh to be young again and innocent.

• 67 Bobbybee // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:00 AM

Magpie season. I get your point about the pro league, but you can only beat what’s in front of you, as we keep being told! The goal he scored against Arsenal showed his commitment to get to the ball and score against a very good defender. He risked getting clobbered but it didn’t deter him. I think he’s going to score a lot of goals for us and can’t wait for Sunday. Like a bairn at Christmas. 🙂

• 68 jaymucca // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:01 AM

I may be young and naïve, but my dad is a solid Tranmere Rovers fan. After witnessing their relegation to the dark depths of the conference last year, I was quite glad to come back up to watch my distinctly average premier league club again!

• 69 hibbit // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:04 AM

bobbybee just hope your not to disappointed with what;s in the stocking

• 70 Bobbybee // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Slank, aye, we went through the mill back then marra! Trips to exotic places like wrexham, shrewsbury and hereford. They think this is bad? (Cue the hovis advert music).

• 71 Bobbybee // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:08 AM

Hibbit, whether I am or not, Christmas is still Christmas – it’s not all about what you get. 🙂

• 72 Rotonda heights // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:09 AM

will die

well when you put it like that. . . .

• 73 Tinman // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Another quality coach brought in, good news for the future. Really think the next 2-5 years could be pleasant under Steve, we might even win a trophy.

However I predict a tough old slog this season. Could finish anywhere from 7th-15th with this current squad, depending a lot on luck. The season we finished 5th we had so much luck on our side and even in Carvers bad run we missed out on a few pens etc. Injuries also fall into the luck category.

We are still not quite making our own luck by having back up in every position. In fact, when you look at CB then we are far from it. We have 4 or 5 real quality players in this team now. If they can fire and stay fit then top 10 is very likely

• 74 Rotonda heights // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:10 AM

i think you must be the first person on here whose ever spelt naive correctly!

• 75 toon kk // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:11 AM

At a rough guess I’ll think we’ll finish about 15th, we haven’t enough pace for the premier league and play static football.
    last season I predicted we’d be relegated, I was almost right. Good job we survived!

• 76 CumbrianMag // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:16 AM

See Sissoko to Liverpool odds have been slashed, he’d be stupid to go like, be bench warming by christmas at any of the top 5 teams.

• 77 jayphoto // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Really can’t see us signing Austin. The thing is, for 15m there are better strikers out there and more crucial to Newcastle board, for 15m there are strikers with greater potential value. If Austin moves for 15m, it’s highly unlikely his next transfer move will be for a greater fee. However if you took say Domenico Berardi, Chuba Akpom or Mitchy Batshuayi chances are their values may rocket which would be more attractive to the club.

• 78 Rotonda heights // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:17 AM

season at 18

i think they saw ap bring in obertan and elliot and thought hmmm…

• 79 John Tudor // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:21 AM

if they’ll pay
    get yersel away

• 80 Blofal // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Magpie Season we’ve officially announced it. Simon Smith is back.

• 81 Slank // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:22 AM

They said that about Cabaye warming the bench, and it was true !

• 82 nut meg // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Cumbrian Mag
    City are 4/6 favorite
    Pool 5/4

• 83 Tinman // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:24 AM

Would be brilliant if we could get rid of Sissoko and spend the money on players we actually need

• 84 Graeme // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:24 AM

Cumbrian Mag – Christmas!!! He’ll be bench warming long before then mate!!!

• 85 Rotonda heights // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:25 AM

toon kk

cheer up man.

Here’s a few reasons to be cheerful:-

No ap, jc, ss, aw.

V. good players

m’bemba (quick,)
    wijnaldum (quick),
    aarons (quick)
    Perez (quite fast)

Quite good players

De Jong

• 86 Bobbybee // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:25 AM

Tinman, luck is always in short supply up here! A couple of seasons ago it was proven by replays that Cisse had 9 or 10 goals wrongly chalked off for offside. Then the penalties we’ve never been given that blind pugh could’ve spotted. Not to mention Tiote’s wonder strike against city… suffice to say you’re spot on re luck! 🙂

• 87 nut meg // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:25 AM

Agree with that.

• 88 hibbit // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:27 AM

a this moment in time my one wish would be sort the back 4 -cb-lb-rb cover……my biggest worry starting on sunday with willo and taylor

• 89 Bobbybee // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:30 AM

Cumbrian and nutmeg. Bear in mind betting was closed on us signing Austin not too long ago. Bookies are as much fooled by rumours as the rest of us on occasion!!

• 90 CumbrianMag // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Oh aye if we got rid of Sissoko and invested that 17 – 20m on our defence I’d be chuffed, problem is we wouldn’t reinvest any of it…

• 91 Bobbybee // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:35 AM

13k turn out to watch the lads train today – that’s more than the mackems get for cup games lmao!

• 92 West Lancs Geordie // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:37 AM

Yes love to have Austin on board but £15M for a 27 year old late developer in the last year of his contract at QPR is a bit over the top . Priority must be another class centre back. Spend £10M on Van Dyk from Celtic before the Mackems nick him. Tiote can go for me now along with others mentioned plus Willo if we get another class defender, Worries over Saylor with his poor injury record.

• 93 toon kk // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:37 AM

R H
    you’re right mate, there’s no point in been to down about Last season and pre season, best to be positive, hope a couple more quality player’s come in and we can all have something to shout about.

• 94 West Lancs Geordie // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:39 AM

I know what you are saying Cumbrian Mag but we need a season where we strengthen AND keep all our quality players if we are to finally move forward

• 95 Ian Toon // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:40 AM

Yellow Belly @4 – Soccernomics by Kuper and Szymanski suggest otherwise. The mere fact of being a “buying club” in the transfer market didn’t help a club perform significantly better than a “selling club”. By contrast, clubs’ spending on salaries was extremely telling. The size of the wage bills explained a massive 92% of variation in their league position, if you took each club’s average for the entire period- of 19 years and covering 40 English clubs. That correlation shows little sign of going away – updated to 2010 and covering clubs in Championship and Premier. In that period of 19 years, wage spending still explained 87% of the variation in League position. For any one season the correlation salaries: league position is weaker and only about 70%. For reason of such a short period , luck plays a big role, injuries,poor form and a host of other factors. So it is essential to track over an extensive period.

• 96 nut meg // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:41 AM

Yes I know,I don’t take any notice of that particular betting.I read the article a few minutes earlier & just posted that City were the favorites for now.

• 97 Ian Toon // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:42 AM

Bobbybee- Any transfer developments this morning. Thanks.

• 98 Bobbybee // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:50 AM

Ian, not that I’ve heard! Apart from Sissoko to liverpool or city at around 17m.
    Nutmeg, I’m not sure Ashley would sell at that price. Didn’t he put a 20-25m pricetag on Sissoko? He can be a difficult man to buy from, as shown in the past and didn’t hesitate to sack kinnear for selling at euros not pounds in the cabaye deal. Have to wait and see, but we can price liverpool out of it and sting city if they really want him. 🙂

• 99 Jack // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:56 AM

Final position in league: 15th
    Number of points in league: 39
    League Cup round: Semi Finals
    FA Cup round: round 5
    Number of 1st team signings this season: 4
    Number of 1st team leaving this season: 2
    Top goal scorer: Wijnaldum
    Number of goals for top goal scorer: 8

• 100 LewSpi v2.0 // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:57 AM

Team lining up in this open training session

De Jong

First choice starting xi?

• 101 Bobbybee // Aug 4, 2015 at 11:59 AM

Final position 1st.
    Total points 101
    FA Cup Winners.
    League cup winners.
    Toal amount of ale consumed 25 pints.
    🙂 😉

• 102 corkypants // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:01 PM

chin up lads it could be worse look at this we showed more effort in friendly games under steve mc

• 103 martoon // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:01 PM

Even though I said I wouldn’t – I will try and collate the predictions – if anybody else has a go could you put my name in then I can just search for them. 🙂

• 104 Bobbybee // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:02 PM

Lewspi, THAT would be my line up for certain, with Aarons coming on as an impact sub. Love the look of that.

• 105 martoon // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:03 PM

So far I’ve got Me. Chancel, jayphoto & Jack – have I missed anybody – I’m assuming you weren’t serious Bobbybee 🙂

• 106 Mr Funk // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:06 PM

How about Yarmolenko as a the striker/winger – last year of contract, has a good record (goals and assists) and looking to move.

and then one more defender from a list of:

John Brooks
    Rudiger (but he seems keen on Arsenal)

• 107 Bobbybee // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:08 PM

Martoon. Was it really that obvious? lmao!! 100% jest my friend.

• 108 PapissGottaBrandNewBag // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:12 PM

It’s safe to say we are done with signings unless we start selling abeid had real pedigree and looked a decent enough player he was a good squad player to have shame he’s off! But for those of you saying sign Austin for 15 million he’s had one premier league season lets not get carried away he’s not yet proven I would pay 12 max for him and that’s at a huge push

• 109 Bobbybee // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:12 PM

Lewspi, if the rumours about sissoko are true, then swap him with Aarons and that would be a team to match most once they’ve settled in. Nothing like last season and an exciting line up.

• 110 PapissGottaBrandNewBag // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:15 PM

Final position 11th
    Points 49
    League cup position quarter final
    Fa cup 5th round

top scorer Mitrovic
    goals 10

• 112 corkypants // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:19 PM

top assits Gini
    player of the year Gini

• 113 geordiesteve520 // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:19 PM

Just had an ESPN update saying we’ve bid for Lindgard.

• 114 corkypants // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:24 PM

League cup QF
    FA Cup QF

• 115 corkypants // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:25 PM

Most Improved player Anita

• 116 TheToonKing // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:25 PM

Also, seeing rumors of Sissoko to City ?!

• 117 Tinman // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Sorry but Austin is a lump. He is sloworking and has no skill. He isn’t he first striker to come up to epl and score some goals. Look at lambert, would pepole be happier with him? Didn’t Holt score around 20 for Norwich one year? Austin doesn’t look the part if you ask me. Worth 5m or so.

• 118 Tinman // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Sorry don’t know how or why my phone changed slow to sloworking…

• 119 jayphoto // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Lingard be a good signing. He’s got a lot of potential and is better on the right that what we currently have. He’s not very pacey though but rarely gives away possession and has quick feet and a creative brain.

• 120 TheToonKing // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:31 PM

Bournemouth have signed Max Gradel from St Ettienne ? how did they pull that off… ?!

• 121 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:47 PM

Apparently Newcastle and Bristol City want Jesse Lingard, I’m sure we can out trump Bristol and Jesse is a winger who can cross, get him signed McClaren. Fee is only believed to be around £2.5 mil

• 122 Yorkshire Magpie // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:50 PM

Final position 12th
    points 46
    signings 5
    outgoings 2
    top scorer Mitrovic
    goals 15

• 123 toon kk // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:52 PM

We need more pace power than Lindgard.

• 124 jayphoto // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:52 PM

2.5m sounds a good bit of business. Remember reading an interview with Alex Ferguson who was saying Lingard is the kind of player that won’t come to the forefront until he is 23/24 but will be a massive player in his mid to late 20’s.
    English too… really not that quick though

• 125 will die for the toon army // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:53 PM

I dont think they will sign Lingard cant b signed to kill e developed of either of Aarons and Perez.

• 126 nut meg // Aug 4, 2015 at 12:59 PM

Anyone know if Shaqiri is still available ?

• 127 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:00 PM

Lingard looks decent ! Mclaren knows him well from Derby last season too!

• 128 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:02 PM

• 129 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:02 PM

If we get Lingaard then Man Utd have to take back Obertan and apologies!

I still don’t understand Ashley didn’t make it a requirement that Pardew had to take him with him to Palace. He was the one who took the bait from Sir Alex 😉

• 130 Tinman // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:05 PM

Will die,
    How would it be any different if we signed any winger? Either way more competition means less game time for youngsters. That’s just the way it is. Have to find a happy median.

However I don’t think Lingard is what we need. I watched every u21 game and to be honest he was awful. Always passing backwards. Didn’t look like a confident young winger. Mind redmond was much the same.

• 131 martoon // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:06 PM

Just a reminder again if your doing a predidction could you put my name in the post so I can find them easily.
    PapissGottaBrandNewBag – you need a number goal prediction
    Yorkshire magpie – you need cup round predictions

• 132 Tinman // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:08 PM

Lingard didn’t exactly inspire for derby either. Maybe he will come good. But I would be surprised. Would even rather give callum Roberts a chance over Lingard.

Good news cabella is getting fit again. Hopefully he can show some of his best form. Showed flashes of class last season. McClaren might drag it out of him. And hey, he may even turn out to be like a new signing 😉

• 133 jayphoto // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:10 PM

Don’t think Lingard would hamper Perez or Aarons. Perez is more of a second striker really, think he might do well alongside Mitrovic. Aarons looks most dangerous on the left wing.
    Lingard can play anywhere in attack but looked decent for Derby on the right though eventually I think he’ll become a AMC.
    Wouldn’t be a bad thing to have 3 young prospects like that. A 4-4-2 of Lingard right, Gini and Tiote/Colback middle, Aarons left, Perez/De Jong just off Mitrovic sounds good to me!
    Purposely not included Sissoko because I think he’s off

• 134 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:14 PM

That sound like a shockingly good team

• 135 jayphoto // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:15 PM

wonder if todays training teams mean anything? bibs –
    Krul, Janmaat, Willo, Taylor, Haidara, Sissoko, gini, anita, Colback, Obertan, cisse

• 136 dok - the horrid colonial // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:16 PM

Final position 1st.
    Total points 101
    FA Cup Winners.
    League cup winners.
    Toal amount of ale consumed 25 pints

bobbybee, lemme buy you another pint 🙂

• 137 jayphoto // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:17 PM

Halfway through they took willo and taylor out and put colo and mbemba in….
    Tiote in full training
    Cabella in light training
    Mitrovic lashing them in apparently too

• 138 jayphoto // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:19 PM

can follow it here

apparently near on 20,000 for a training session…
    fair play to the club, don’t know it its McClarens input but they seem to be trying to make bridges with the fans. Communication been much better!

• 139 Tinman // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:19 PM

Can’t wait for the big kick off. Won’t be making one of those predictions though.

• 140 dok - the horrid colonial // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:22 PM

my predictions (note, I was 1st two years ago, and third in my predictions last year)

League position: 10th
    Points: 52
    League cup: 5th round
    FA Cup: QF
    Most goals: Mitro & Cisse: 13 each

I think we’ll score bucketloads (compared to last season, but the defense will concede them as fast as we score… but at least we’ll be entertained…

my opinion is this season will be better than years past, but once macca gets another two windows, gets his players to fit his system, next season I can see a top 6… if Ashley keeps the purse strings open… I remember how insane this place was when we made Europa, everyone hanging by the day of the draws, and I wish those times back…

• 141 Tinman // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:22 PM

Simpson says read nothing into the training games team selection. Of course, he would say that though…

• 142 Noel Worst // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:23 PM

Rather have Elmohamady as a RW option than Lingard at that price point.

• 143 LewSpi v2.0 // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:24 PM

Jesse lingard would be a great signing in my opinion, has been great in pre season.

I’ll post some predictions later tonight?

• 144 martoon // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:27 PM

jayphoto @135 – that’s the same team that started last Saturday!

• 145 martoon // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:28 PM

OK LewSpi v2.0 – Just put my name in your posting then I can find it easily!

• 146 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:29 PM

Repost for Martoon

Final position in league 9th
    Number of points in league 52
    League Cup round 5
    FA Cup round Semi-Finals
    Number of 1st team signings this season 6
    Number of 1st team leaving this season 4
    Top goal scorer Mitrovic
    Number of goals for top goal scorer 17

• 147 toon kk // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:30 PM

Its funny when a player gets linked with Newcastle how so many just want him signed up, regardless if he’s really good enough or what we really need.

• 148 jayphoto // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:30 PM

@Tinman – gotta think that surely they are looking at forming partnerships in training to take onto the pitch. Interesting that they paired Coloccini with Mbemba. Even John Carver wouldn’t have been stupid enough to not have his central defence partnership play alongside eachother in training games.

Personally think if everyones fit it’ll be mbemba and colo that start. If Taylor and and Willo start its because they are the only 2 ready.
    Interested to see if Gini and De Jong start together.
    Reckon Cisse might get the edge on Mitrovic at first and reckon Obertan will start on the left over Aarons with both Aarons and Mitrogol coming off the bench.
    Really interested to see Obertan on the left. Ive seen in interviews him say its his preferred position, and at Bordeaux where he showed so much potential he played left side. Interesting that Pardew never chose him there? Possibly linked to the fullback needing babysitting?

• 149 martoon // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:31 PM

Dok – you missed out signings in and out!

• 150 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:32 PM

Obertron played on the left V Gladbach and looked good

• 151 Noel Worst // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:33 PM

League position: 9th
    Points total : 51
    League Cup: Semi-final
    Fa Cup; 5th round
    Most goals: Mitrovic 15

Steady season and a whiff of a cup final.

• 152 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:35 PM

If you look at our dealings in the PL under Ashley (disregarding that weird season we finished 5th) and look at how SM has done as a manager in the PL I think finishing 6th this season, next season or the season after is a stretch!

10-11th this season based on the current team…9th if we play over our own weight just certain teams underperforming!

• 153 LewSpi v2.0 // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:36 PM

Toon KK

In all fairness I was saying I’d like us to pursue Lingaard a couple of weeks ago. Played for McC at Derby for part of last season.

• 154 jayphoto // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:37 PM

@chancel – Didn’t see the Gladbach game. I know he was a left winger at Bordeaux and Man Utd. Remember him playing left side for us once and looking good and then getting shifted back right when (I think it was Remy or Jonas) came back.
    Possibly the most frustrating player I’ve seen at Newcastle! The attributes are all there. Hes rocked heeled, also has a great first touch and close control. Just never seems to want to use his assets. He should be bombing past fullbacks and hitting the byline really.

• 155 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:38 PM

Daft question time:
    would you take a 10-15th placing if we won a cup?

• 156 Noel Worst // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:38 PM

Elmohamady is a genuine chalk on your boots winger, up and down all 90, knock ball past man, deceptively quick so beats most and when he can’t he has the head to realise that and gets early balls in, great crosser and exactly what Mitrovic would thrive on. Good on the back stick in the air too, when the ball’s been crossed from the other side.

• 157 toon kk // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:39 PM

There’s a wide difference between people’s predictions for the upcoming season, we still have mainly the same group of players who totally were out played all season, so don’t expect miracles, many years of budget buying won’t be corrected in one transfer window.
    14th /15th will be more realistic.

• 158 Noel Worst // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:39 PM

Take a Chancel

Of course!

• 159 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:40 PM

Glad someone sees what I see in Obertan, I think if he can gain confidence (Black should do that) then he will be a good player. He was one of our best when on the good run last season

• 160 Our Toon // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:40 PM

Wouldn’t want Lingard, we need quality for the 1st team rather than a bench warmer. Hardly set the championship alight last season.

On obertan, the guy is a total waste of talent. Class in friendlies but utter pants when it comes to the real games!! Send him packing

• 161 jayphoto // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:42 PM

@jesper – reckon it’s really hard to judge this season. We’ve got too many players with ability that didn’t fit with the last coaching staff or style.
    If they can get cabella playing like he did in France, Anita like he did against west ham and cisse like that first season we had him, sissoko to play like he can, Tiote like the first 2 seasons we had him, Coloccini to look interested, Krul back to his best etc then as a squad we should be around Spurs, Southampton and Possibly Liverpool.
    Our squad actually has huge potential and some supremely talented players who just seem to be so inconsistent.
    If consistency and injuries are sorted then 6-8th place should always be a target.
    Problem is, said players, when they are bad, they are very bad.

• 162 Our Toon // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:43 PM

Fergie couldn’t solve the obertan problem, as he said obertan is the best player in training and friendlies but in competitive games he gets nervous playing in front of crowds so doesn’t do what he’s best at.

• 163 Noel Worst // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:44 PM

What I like about McClaren is he does genuinely get the area, the club and respects the fans, you can tell that from the efforts the club has been making with the fans which I’m sure is being driven by him. He isn’t paying lip service like the previous incumbent and so many others, he has lived up here for a good chunk of his life.

• 164 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:44 PM

toon kk…our failings last season doesn’t reflect our true value if you ask me!
    Certain things have been rectified, but you are right we won’t suddenly be a top 8 contender.

Our team is way out of balance and true quality…probably 3 injuries away from total disaster!

• 165 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:44 PM

So Palace pay £7 Mil for Wickham! wouldn’t pay him in tap washers!
    Gradel should be a good signing for Bournemouth

• 166 nufc786 // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:46 PM

Anyone manage to go to the open training session?

• 167 jayphoto // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:47 PM

@chancel, Ourtoon – Crazy thing about Obertan, whenever Pardew went on a run or wins, they coincided with Obertan in the first team. He played the first 15 games in the season we finished 5th (think we only lost one or 2 of them)
    Even last season when we won 6 in a row they coincided with him playing and actually playing quite well.
    I’ve always said, Obertan on the field, his pace alone means teams have to drop slightly deeper to accommodate, whether he does anything or not which gets our strikers closer to the oppositions goal.Was the same when we had Bellamy, which put Shearers starting position when we won the ball much closer to goal.
    Players when they have the pace that Obertan has (and he is bloody quick) affect the oppositions thinking even if they are useless most of the time.
    When Obertan was out of the team, teams push cisse right upto the halfway line as they know theres no one in the front 3 with the pace to get in behind.

• 168 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:47 PM

I’ve said before that McClaren wasn’t my 1st choice for manager but I respect what he is doing, he’s making the club more approachable and seems to be moulding an exciting team. I get the feeling this is going to be the start of something good

• 169 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:49 PM

jayphoto you are so right and I have the feeling if Blackie can instill some bottle into him he will have a good season

• 170 corkypants // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:50 PM

Position 8th
    points 58
    signings 5
    outgoings 2 more after abeid
    goalscorer mitrovic
    goals 10
    assists gini
    player of the year gini
    most improved player anita

• 171 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:51 PM

Jay…our team is definitely better than what Pardew could produce and the players does seem to fit better into the concept of how SM sees football 🙂

…it’s difficult to predict I agree.

• 172 jayphoto // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:52 PM

@Chancel – reckon wickham is good business. Hes the same age as Perez and already has nearly a 100 premier league games. Surprised they sold him as his late form was one of the protagonists of them staying up.
    Hes shown at times that he can boss defenders and at 22 can only get better. His goal return is poor but worth noting hes played wide a lot in his younger seasons.
    Reckon theres a lot of potential to be had there, I’d bet money that Palace get a return off him when they sell on in 3 years time or so.
    7m if that’s what they paid is roughly what we paid for Riviere.
    Sundarland paid 8m plus 4m in add ons (that were all triggered)

• 173 Yorkshire Magpie // Aug 4, 2015 at 1:58 PM

Yorkshire Magpie

Final position in league 12th
    Number of points in league 45
    League Cup round QF
    FA Cup round 4th
    Number of 1st team signings this season 5
    Number of 1st team leaving this season 3
    Top goal scorer Mitrovic
    Number of goals for top goal scorer 15

changed some from my first post cos I couldn’t remember what i put

• 174 Tsunki // Aug 4, 2015 at 2:01 PM

Nufc786 – not me. I know that might not have necessarily been a helpful response though.

• 175 expatmag // Aug 4, 2015 at 2:08 PM

Never underestimate the power of psychology in running a football team. It is a crucial ingredient.

• 176 Yellow Belly // Aug 4, 2015 at 2:09 PM

If Williamson, Taylor and Elliott go this season or next will we have a problem with home grown squad members?
    That would be the only reason why Lingard would improve the squad

• 177 hibbit // Aug 4, 2015 at 2:11 PM

chancel……….oberton a football never……. mitrovik has never kicked a ball in the prem its a big ask for any young player he will need time

• 178 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 4, 2015 at 2:16 PM

Taylor, Williamson and Colo are liabilities. They are too near the starting 11. Frightening. If optimism is the order of the day, we have enough in Mbemba, Dummet and Lascelles. Somehow I don’t think so. That said, the priority has to be Austin. Cisse, Mitro and Austin should see us through.

• 179 hibbit // Aug 4, 2015 at 2:18 PM

i think we will start on sunday with willo and taylor

• 180 toon kk // Aug 4, 2015 at 2:20 PM

If only Obertan could hold himself together and stop being so sloppy, I think our toon is correct, Obertan gets nervous. Otherwise he’d be a real asset with his pace.

• 181 hibbit // Aug 4, 2015 at 2:24 PM

toon kk……… if he could he would be but that’s the reason SAF got rid just can’t do it on the night

• 182 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Aug 4, 2015 at 2:41 PM

Expat same in most pro sports. Englands 2003 world cup winning rugby union team had a top psychologist working with them. It worked realky well and steve thompsons normally cack lineouts were massively improved even under immense peessure

• 183 nufc786 // Aug 4, 2015 at 2:56 PM

I managed to go to the open day… just wondering if any others might have managed to go..

I will try to vividly describe what i saw…

First things first was surprised to see abeid… thought he might have jetted of to germany..

but he might have just been allowed a send off

there was this lovely piece of skill he performed which involved a maradona that allowed him to keep posession of the ball… but he did look a little tired of had some form of strain i dont think he came on for the 2nd half of the training match..

Mitrovic and Tiote were involved in a couple of tasty challenges during the posession based game

Some of Mitrovic’s finishing… top notch… i think he has all the tools to succeed

Sissoko mainly played on the wing

Rivere had some decent shots

No sign of bigi and vuckic

Ferguson played LB… It looks like he lost alot of pace that he used to have im not sure…

Lacelles- Played RB whilst mbemba and willo were cbs

Mbemba looks up for the physicality of the PL… hope he adjusts quickly

I think Widjinaldum scored he partnered with anita in cm against colback and abeid

Crowd were excited for the new signings especially Mitrovic

• 184 nufc786 // Aug 4, 2015 at 2:59 PM

On Obertan he looked up for the training game running at players but many crosses and shots blocked

Was pleased to see Colo…

Cabella trained on his own doing some light dribbling and other fitness work

• 185 martoon // Aug 4, 2015 at 3:10 PM

Ok so I’ve predictions from me, Chancel, jayphoto, Jack, Papiss…, Corkypants, Yorkshire Magpie, Dok & Noel Worst – have I missed anybody?
    Dok & Noel have no signings in/out predictions and Papiss no prediction for no of goals scored by his top scorer!

• 186 Tinman // Aug 4, 2015 at 3:19 PM

Interesting opinions on Obertan, could he be like a new signing?

previous post: Newcastle May Be Forced To Make Move For Striker