Newcastle Must Continue Spending The Big Money

Former Newcastle United legend Rob Lee has said what a lot of fans are thinking – that we still need to sign more players before September rolls around, and the conventional wisdom seems to be that we need a defender, another creative midfielder, and a striker to complete the business.

If Newcastle can do that it will have been a successful summer transfer market.

Rob Lee

Rob Lee with Alan Shearer while at Newcastle

This is what former central midfielder Rob Lee has said in Kicca today:

“Newcastle have made a few impressive signings in the last few weeks, but it’s now all gone a bit quiet.”

“I hope the club bosses haven’t decided to close their check book because they still need to sign several more players to be able to compete once more in the Premier League.”

“I’ve been saying all along that Charlie Austin would be a great signing for the club, but if they do bid for him they must get him.”

“If he goes elsewhere then that will be a big blow for the club.”

If Newcastle insist on waiting to sign Austin we could screw up,  and wouldn’t it be better to sign him before the beginning of the season?

And we hope Newcastle are not getting cold feet about the money we have spent so far this summer – about £36M so far – keep spending it.

And if the powers that be want proof  of why we need to still spend big bucks just think of the last 11 games of last season.

Before the final day win against the Hammers – we had only one point in 10 games and were the worst team in the Premier League.

Even bottom of the table QPR were able to beat us fairly easily.

We don’t want that to happen again this season do we?

As we said – keep spending.

• Slank

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Yes Rob, Charlie Austin would be a good signing for the club as backup striker to Mitrovic but not at £15M with only one year left on his contract.

• jayphoto

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:38 AM

@beermonkey – yeah a loan would have benefited the club. Think the player needed a permanent move though. Not entirely sure Abeid has been that fairly treated in his time at Nufc!
    Oddly, when we signed him it was huge news in France! He was highly thought of at Lens, had a killer reserve season when he was very young. French press at the time classed him as a big prospect for their national team and were concerned that big bad newcastle would ruin his development…

• jayphoto

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:39 AM

Don’t really want Austin! Would rather we signed a striker with genuine pace that would look to go in behind! We’ve lacked that since bellamy

• Yellow Belly

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:45 AM

I was looking at Transfermarkt at the premier league squad values and it makes an interesting read.

I am sure this is the kind of logic Ashley looks at

1 Chelsea FC £396.38m
    15 Sunderland £68.60m
    16 Leicester City £58.66m
    17 Watford £56.18m
    18 Norwich £54.60m
    19 West Brom £54.25m
    20 Bournemouth £28.88m

If everything was equal you would expect us to finish 9th – After the last couple of years I think I would take that.

Of course things are not equal, you have injuries, luck, morale and the main thing the manager.

The gap to the top 4 is a massive £175m but the gap to the relegation is only £52m so it is easier to underperform (Carver) than it is to over perform.
    If McClaren was to over perform realistically a 7th finish would be excellent.

Our squad value is probably low because we finished so low and this is probably Ashley’s motivation.

To get into the Champions League in the next 3 years we could go out and spend £175m but the players of that class would not want to come unless they were pure mercenaries.

The other option is to buy fairly young players 20-23 with huge potential. As long as we do not sell them and they get better the squad value will increase a lot naturally.
    For this 3 year formula to work when looking at a player you would need to ask in 3 years time will this player be good enough for say Chelsea first team, does he cost less than say £20m now, is aged say 20-24, are his wages less than 50K. All 3 we have bought so far fit this category!
    The problem with this is that next year you would have to change the category to will they be good enough for Chelsea in 2 years and the year after 1 year.

So it would make more economical sense to get 1 or 2 more this year but it gets harder too because you are looking at specific positions.

So the question is who in our squad would be good enough for the Champions league in 3 year’s time?
    Mitrovic
    Wijnaldum
    Mbemba
    Perez
    Aarons
    Janmaat
    Krul
    Darlow
    Sissoko (maybe)
    Cabella (big maybe if our new style suits him better)
    Lascellas (maybe)
    De Jong (maybe)

• Bobbybee

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:45 AM

Said my bit on Austin over the page and Rob Lee hasn’t changed my mind 😉

• Slank

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:46 AM

Abeid needs and deserves first team football.

With Gini, Tiote, Colback and Anita he would probably get few, if any, games for the club.

Good luck to him in Germany.

• Marty-Toon

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:47 AM

15 mill is a lot for someone with just a year left but the bin dippers paid 12 for Ings and he was out of contract.
    We say we’ve spent big money but they’ve spent that much on Benteke alone,the Pl is a big money game now to even get near the top six.
    I however like that we don’t overspend yet get in quality like Janmaat,Gini and so on.
    We do however need as all can see another CB,get in Van Dijk

• kimbo

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:53 AM

Abeid or Anita , Abeid is a far better player but he was hung out to dry by Carver and blamed for a Krul mistake and his career was finished at NUFC. Such a shame but another talented young player destroyed by Newcastle…who next …Perez?

• Bobbybee

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Yellow, good post. Not sure about Darlow and Lascelles – time will tell. As for De Jong, I’d put him right up there with the best. When he came on on Saturday he showed how the new football philosophy suited him down to the ground. He has great vision and silky skills. The few games we saw of him last term he was wasted because we bypassed him by hitting it long. Think he’ll come into his own this season. I’d also add Woodman and Arma to the list.

• nut meg

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Jay
    According to transfer market Antonio Rudiger is back from injury tomorrow.I’m hoping we’re waiting for medical infomation & that something has been going on behind the scenes.I live in hope that we have a plan to fix something that is so so obvious to anyone who cares to look.

• beermonkey

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:54 AM

jayphoto

I agree I don’t think he was fairly treated by us either in games or going out onloan and as for carver scapegoating him that was prob it for him with us

I actually think he would have suited us with McLaren and a loan move would have given McLaren time and him the games

• Magpie Season

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:56 AM

Still can’t believe Abeid is gone.

So much for the clean slate policy. Performances in training & pre-season are so, so much different to actual competitive matches.

Oh well…another promising young player never given a proper chance at Newcastle United.

• Magpie Season

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:58 AM

kimbo,

I don’t think it would be Perez mate but you can pretty much guarantee with the departure of Abeid that those below him in the squad, such as Vuckic, Bigi, Ferguson, etc will definiently go.

• Slank

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:58 AM

Yellow Belly

You should forget about Champions League now and at anytime in the future.

To get a top four place in the league we have to be better than either Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd and the also rans Liverpool, Spurs and Southampton. I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

We would laugh at fans from Stoke, Villa, Palace, Swansea, Sunderland and WBA if they said that their teams would be in the Champions League in three years time.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:59 AM

Marty-Toon…a tribunal decided the cost of Ings to Liverpool. The biggest tribunal so far was Sturridge move at £6.5M so I hardly believe Liverpool paid £12M!

• Magpie Season

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:00 AM

beer,

Abeid leaving I think also means Tiote will stay.
    Assuming we play 2 holding players, only Colback & Tiote. We have no proper cover, meaning a player who plays in that position as his first choice.

He did well Abeid, especially against Man City. I’m suprised a Ligue Un club did not go after him but a German 2nd Division.

• hibbit

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:01 AM

magpie season…… this just maybe the best thing for abeid not the club fresh start and all that…… good luck to the lad

• Magpie Season

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Pardew spent 6 million pounds on Connor Wickham.

I guess this is why Ashley didn’t give him money to spend all those years.

• Bobbybee

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Marty, not sure Liverpool is a good example. They’re a club who believe in spending silly money, thinking the cost relates to the quality when it clearly doesn’t. Let’s be honest, why pay £12m for a player you could get for free and in all fairness is likely to spend his time there on the bench? They have a long list of players they’ve clearly overpaid for lately. Value for money, I’m happy with who we’ve bought to be frank.

• Whumpie

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Why does Rob Lee – just like so many others – say we need to keep spending, but then talk about another **** striker?

Yes, we need more players – but isn’t it screamingly obvious that we need more defenders first? We’re starting with the same pairing that failed so badly last season; doesn’t that say everything? Even with Mbemba in, he’s going to have to work with either a slow 34-year-old, a thick-as-mince local lad who can’t stay on the pitch and collects red cards as a hobby, a kid who wasn’t all that good in the Championship, an academy student, or someone out of position.

Yeah. That’ll be fine. Just like it was last season…

• Magpie Season

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:05 AM

LOL!! didn’t know this about Mitrovic (excerpt from F365):

4) Aleksandar Mitrovic (Newcastle United)

I think that Georginio Wijnaldum (or Geordie Wine Gum, as he’s been christened) could be one of the signings of the summer, but there is a special place in all of our hearts for a striker who has a reputation for being absolutely bats**t mental.

Mitrovic has scored 36 goals in 69 league games for Anderlecht since moving from Partizan Belgrade in 2013, and scored against both Arsenal and Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League last season. That’s the boring bits out of the way.

In May 2014 he head-butted Club Brugge defender Bjorn Engels, after being sent off for allegedly spitting at fans who were insulting him in the reverse fixture. A year earlier he was sent off for violent conduct after striking Neftchi Baku’s goalkeeper in the Europa League. He put on weight over summer 2014 after eating too much of his mother’s cooking, and celebrates goals by flicking his tongue between his middle and index finger. You wouldn’t take him home to meet your mother, but you might do if you knew she was out.

It could go brilliantly or it could be a disaster, but it will always be worth watching. Mitrovic has spoken about following in the footsteps of Alan Shearer at St James’ Park. Combine Faustino Asprilla and Temuri Ketsbaia for more likely (and exciting) expectations.

• hibbit

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:06 AM

magpie season according to most papers it was 9m

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Magpie Season…I thought it was £9M?

• beermonkey

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:10 AM

magpie season

not sure whether tiote will stay he like collo and sissoko have all looked fed up and haven’t been bothered, it could be training with carver week in week out the way we have played I would imagine carver was unbearable when he had the job, peacocking around and shouting
    now maybe new manager and coach will inspire them to stay and play but I am not sure

• nut meg

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Has a tribunal decided on a fee for Danny Ings ?

• Magpie Season

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Yeah my bad. 9 mil.

Highlights my point even more though.

• Yellow Belly

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:13 AM

Slank – I was being optimistic but I must dream the dream – Can we agree on 4 years then? – I can (want) see the club have a realistic plan now!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:15 AM

nut meg…the deal has gone through so I would think so.

• martoon

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Earlier somebody (I think it was offkey) suggested we do predictions like last year. This was collated by ToonDarnSarf – I don’t have time to do this but I’ve dug out the prediction criteria if anybody wants a go this year- they were:-
    Final position in league
    Number of points in league
    League Cup round
    FA Cup round
    Number of 1st team signings this season
    Number of 1st team leaving this season
    Top goal scorer
    Number of goals for top goal scorer
    Month that AP is sacked (or not)
    New manager if AP is sacked

Obviously the last two are not significant – hopefully McClaren will last the season 🙂

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Magpie Season…I didn’t say it would make the case for Pardew any better 😉 lol

But remember alot of ppl on here wanted to spend £10M or more on him when he moved to Sunderland!

• jaymucca

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:20 AM

Slank

“you should forget about champions league now and at any time in the future”?

I’d hate to follow football with such pessimism. It goes without saying, it is very unlikely in the next 3 years that we will come close to champions league football. But it won’t stop me hoping for it and getting excited about the prospect of challenging the top 4. People support football differently, maybe some people enjoy mediocrity and watching their team push for 10th place. But the reason I follow NUFC and always have done, is for the excitement and thrill of believing that one day, we will have our time at the top.

I mean no disrespect, but if you do not have a glimmer of hope for the same, then I don’t understand why you follow football.

We are undoubtedly a mediocre team. But do you think Greece ever thought they had a chance of winning the Euros? Let’s forget about our cynicism, at least until the season has begun.

• Slank

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Yellow Belly

I would be over the moon and probably over the neighbours wife if we qualified for the Champions League but there has to be a simultaneous catastrophic loss of form of some of the big boys and an unbelievable change in our fortunes where we had the rub of the green in every match.

Between 8 and 12 in the league with good cup runs and perhaps winning one of them is our destiny.

• Blofal

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Simon Smith has replaced Andy Woodman apparently.

• nut meg

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Jesper
    As far as I am aware is doesn’t stop the deal going through. The two clubs try to sort a fee out before hand because the tribunal can be a bit of a lottery which they try to avoid.It’s just that I haven’t seen anything reported that a fee has been set.

• davetoon

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:24 AM

@yellow the way I see it is the only way that we get anywhere near the top 6 or 7 or get anywhere in the cups is to dramatically improve our defensive play and try and emulate Moyes Everton by shutting out teams and getting them on the break.
    We had a lot of luck doing this with Pardew where our goal seemed to have an invisible barrier in front of it but good luck to Stevie Mac if that is his plan for this season.

• jayphoto

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:27 AM

Has the Ings fee been sorted yet? I saw it was estimated to be between 6-8m.
    Would have preferred Ings to Austin. Really liked his workrate and off the ball movement! Can’t see him getting much game time at Liverpool mind behind Benteke and Sturridge. Sneaky feeling Brendan might be the first manager to get the boot….

• Slank

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:27 AM

jaymucca @ 31

I have hope but am also a realist.

Supporting the club since 1960 has conditioned my view and set my expectations.

I was too young for the FA Cup successes in the 1950s but was at all the home games when we won the Fairs Cup.

I suppose I am more fortunate than many others on this blog although I wouldn’t want to wish on them some of the dreadful dross served up in the 1970s and 1980s.

• jayphoto

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:28 AM

@Martoon – not sure how I feel about predictions, I was like a riviere shot last year, missed by a mile!

• Yellow Belly

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Jaymucca – Ditto – Well put

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:30 AM

nut meg…I cannot know for sure, but I think w
    I think we have past Burnley and Liverpool agreeing on June 30th 🙂

I would think a tribunal fee has been set and it will not be at £12M also twice the fee of Sturridge 😉

1 2 3 5