The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

The Exodus Begins At Newcastle

8:40 am, Tuesday, August 4th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 37 Comments

Mehdi Abeid looks to be the first player at Newcastle this summer to be transferred, as his move to second division German club Fortuna Dusseldorf is close.

So it didn’t really work out for Mehdi, after he had such a good season on loan at Panathinaikos the season before last, when he played 38 games and scored 10 goals and was outstanding for the Greek side.

ehdi abeid steven gerrard

Mehdi Abeid in action last season

Abeid has traveled to Germany and if all goes well it looks like the deal will go through after he takes a medical there.

Mehdi joined us from Lens in the summer of 2011 as a free agent, but he hasn’t been able to make it on Tyneside and has played 21 times for the first team.

We thought Mehdi was touch and go as to whether he would stay,  but Steve McClaren has already said there will be players starting to leave the club – either they will be sold or they will be loaned out to ease the wage bill.

Players who are expected to leave the club include Sylvain Marveaux, Shane Ferguson, Haris Vuckic, Gael Bigirimana and maybe goalkeeper Rob Elliot.

But we were hoping to have three experienced goalkeepers this season, so that we don’t end up having to play an inexperienced goalkeeper like we did last season with Jak Alnwick,

Maybe Freddie Woodman can be recalled from his loan spell at Crawley Town, in the event that Elliott leaves and Tom Krul and Karl Darlow are both inured?

Freddie really impressed in pre-season and he looks like a Newcastle goalkeeper of the future.

Others likely to leave Newcastle include Cheick Tiote, who has hardly featured in pre-season, presumably because of a knee injury, and if another striker comes in then Papiss Cisse will probably be sold.

However, if we insist on waiting until very late this month to try to get Charlie Austin in, that doesn’t leave us much time to sell Papiss Cisse.

Mike Williamson could also be sold, so we could be left with Coloccini, Mbemba, Taylor and Lascelles as the four center-backs.

It also seems that Curtis Good still has that long-standing  hip problem, which needs to be sorted out.

We have sent three out on loan and we expect maybe another eight players to leave before September rolls around.

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Loan Moves · Mehdi Abeid · Newcastle News · Papiss Cisse · Transfer News and Rumours

37 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Aug 4, 2015 at 8:46 AM

I’d love to think we could hijack this deal

This kid is so good it’s not funny.

Think of a cross between Johnathan Woodgate and Alessandro Nesta – his tackles are works of art and should be part of the Bolshoi Ballet’s repetoire

• 2 OneAlanShearer // Aug 4, 2015 at 8:46 AM

We need a centre back, defensive midfielder who can pass, a right winger who can cross, a quality striker but I’d take the centre back right now. If we sell sissoko we need a top quality right winger in this window. I honestly think we will struggle without the 3 or 4 signings. I think they will sell tiote, sissoko, cisse plus let go some dross. We should only let go elliot, Gouffran, Riviere, willo but replace them with better ideally.

• 3 OneAlanShearer // Aug 4, 2015 at 8:48 AM

Jib – a classy centre back should be our top priority. I wouldn’t be surprised if we only see outgoings now though.

• 4 Reyantoon // Aug 4, 2015 at 8:50 AM

Cheers corkypants!

• 5 hibbit // Aug 4, 2015 at 8:50 AM

jib i thought it was funny when woodgate talked of retiring at the end of the season the player boro were trying to replace him with was willo

• 6 Reyantoon // Aug 4, 2015 at 8:52 AM

And we will win 2-1:-)

• 7 Jib // Aug 4, 2015 at 8:54 AM

Hibbit
    I would never do Willo down cos he’s a hundred percenter , but Woodgate (for oh so short a time) strutting his stuff round SJP was a sight to behold !!

• 8 Bobbybee // Aug 4, 2015 at 8:55 AM

What a nasty, selfish bunch they are at QPR. They’re quite prepared to destroy Austin’s dream of representing his country in a major international tournament, for the sake of a couple of million quid. £15 million is too much for a player in his final year and nobody seems to be prepared to match it. They know perfectly well he won’t get picked whilst playing in the Championship and he needs to be in the PL to fulfil that dream. Nice payback for a man who desperately tried to keep them up with his goals. Future signings take note. If they ruin his dreams after his incredible rise through none league football, by pure greed and selfishness, I truly hope they drop into the 1st division.

• 9 Jib // Aug 4, 2015 at 8:57 AM

Reyantoon
    You’ve done that smiley right , but you have put a space on either side of it. 8:-)

• 10 Jib // Aug 4, 2015 at 8:57 AM

Ha ha ha – doh
    😎

• 11 toon kk // Aug 4, 2015 at 8:59 AM

We’ll be ripped apart by a far superior Southampton, we’ll never cope with there pace and passing ability, our league 2 defence will crumble.
    Prepare yourselves for a taste of things to come.
    It will take far more than three player to transform our basic squad that almost got us relegated.

• 12 murvar // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:01 AM

I’m surprised that we are letting Abeid go. In our short-lived purple patch last season he alomg with Aarons were the spark that seemed to get things going; he seemed a natural replacement for Tiote. But Steve Mac knows far more about footballers than we mere fans do and I trust him completely (fingers crossed behind my back).

• 13 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:01 AM

Beermonkey no mate can’t remember password to account or my email 🙁

Lesh
    I upgraded to windows 10 and lost everything, even worse I hated it so I’m back to Windows 7.
    The name I ended up choosing came about because I watched Mamma Mia on ITV, Julie Walters had me in stitches singing Take A Chance on Me so I adapted to to Chancel

• 14 hibbit // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:01 AM

woodgate is the best cb i have seen in my time with newcastle best play tony green

• 15 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Strikes me as a weird move for Mehdi to go to the German 2nd division, I am sure some European top flight teams would take him

• 16 Carl819 // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:04 AM

Bad move letting him go, the fella’ has a future at a high level.

• 17 Reyantoon // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:04 AM

Jib – i have been trying to use smillies (smileys)
    many times,but seems not working on my phone:-(.I’m still wondering why?

• 18 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:06 AM

Reyan for 🙂 you put : ) withoutspaces
    for 🙁 you put : ( without spaces

• 19 beermonkey // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:09 AM

take a chancel

mama mia really??? lol

I think abeid’s decision to go was down to carver and co
    not sure how long he has left on his deal but I was hoping he would go out onloan if McLaren wasn’t going to use him
    did well out onloan did well when given the chance when fit
    shame could come back to bite us letting him go

• 20 toon kk // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:10 AM

It’s very strange, players who sho promise and anyone half decent they let go and players who shouldn’t be even playing in the premier league we hang onto.

• 21 Marty-Toon // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:11 AM

Tbh I would have Abeid in the team before Colback .
    Jack has a tendency of losing the ball and then pulling his opponent back and receiving a yellow,he slows our game down too much and played better at that horrible club up the road.

• 22 Marty-Toon // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:12 AM

@Reyantoon
    Van Dijk is excellent,ok he’s playing in a poorer league but he showed his quality in the CL .
    He scores from headers and can play the ball not just hoof it.

• 23 Jib // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:16 AM

Reyantoon
    Try this

Leeds

For Windows7
    To restore a deleted file or folder

Open Computer by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Computer.
    Navigate to the folder that used to contain the file or folder, right-click it, and then click Restore previous versions.

Hibbit

boom 😉

• 33 Reyantoon // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:47 AM

boom boom boom B-)

• 34 Reyantoon // Aug 4, 2015 at 9:48 AM

boom boom 😀

• 35 pethmag // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:01 AM

The exodus should of started as soon as the west ham game was over .
    Collocini, saylor,willo,obertan,gouffran,ferguson,bigi,elliot,the list is endless .
    The amount of deadwood at this club is unreal we really are a clueless club .
    Looks like another long season ahead . You can bet someone will be crocked and out long term in the first few games .
    But don’t worry we have a super strong quality squad that will be up there challenging lol.
    A would like to be proved wrong and see some more better signings through the door , but unfortunately a don’t think it will materialize.

• 36 geordiesteve520 // Aug 4, 2015 at 10:13 AM

I know we seemed to rate this lad but the fact he’s only being courted by a Second Division team in Germany speaks volumes.

• 37 blacksmith // Aug 4, 2015 at 5:54 PM

Sorry to see this kid leave. I’m surprised he is going to the german 2nd div. He had a decent spell for us last season at defensive midfield. He also had a good spell in Greece a few seasons ago.

Perhaps he was one of those who McClaren said disappointed in preseason.

I wonder how much we got for him and if there were any future incentives involved. That would determine if this was a wise move or not for me.

previous post: Newcastle Defender Talks About Change Of Philosophy