The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Top Youngster Thanks His Father

3:42 pm, Wednesday, August 5th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 23 Comments

Newcastle goalkeeper Freddie Woodman looked really good in pre-season and he got some playing time especially on the American tour.

At the very least Freddie showed what a good goalkeeper he already is, and the 18 year-old England U19 International could be challenging Tim Krul for the number one spot at Newcastle in a year or two – he looked that good.

freddie woodman crawley nuneaton

Freddie Woodman at Crawley Town on loan

Freddie is on loan for at least six months at Crawley Town where he will be able to experience first team football in League One.

His farther Andy has only just left Newcastle as the goalkeeping coach this week to rejoin Alan Pardew at Crystal Palace, and Freddie talks about that and how much he is looking forward to his loan spell down south.

This is what Freddie told BBC Sussex:

“I’m really looking forward to it. It’s a massive difference and it takes some getting used to,” “I’ll take this experience back with me and say ‘let’s not come back here, let’s play in the Premier League’.”

“But first-team football is where everything happens. The best thing for me was to come on loan and I’m grateful Crawley have taken me.”

“We (Freddie and his father Andy) had a good time at Newcastle, working together every day for four years, and I really improved no end,” “I really thank him for what he did for me.”

“I’ve learned from him my whole life.” “I’m focused and ready for the season. I really want to enjoy the experience,” “I used to watch my dad play at Oxford when I was a little kid so it’s going to be a great experience.”

It’s on loan where Newcastle youngsters either make it or not – so it’s an important six months for Freddie, but we expect him to do well.

Whether he returns to Newcastle in January remains to be seen, but if everything is going well at Newcastle with Tim Krul and Karl Darlow expected to be the number one and number two goalkeeper, Freddie could even remain on loan at Crawley Town for the whole season.

That would be great experience for the teenager.

Tags: Freddie Woodman · Loan Moves · Newcastle Academy · Newcastle News · Newcastle Youth

23 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jamseyd24 // Aug 5, 2015 at 3:47 PM

I dont see any rumors on Sky sports regards him signing for Newcastle, but see a Swansea rumor for him

• 2 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Aug 5, 2015 at 3:56 PM

Ashley- Out
    alnwick- In

• 3 magpiesi // Aug 5, 2015 at 3:58 PM

Van Dijk

Over the last week it’s been Southampton linked for 8m and Swansea last few days. RD Celtic manager just said in his pre match interview he is a excellent player everybody knows his level which the fee would have to match. So £10m+ They paid about £2.8m two years ago.

• 4 sweendog // Aug 5, 2015 at 3:58 PM

Jamseyd24 bit of speculation around this. There was talk last year that this was the defender that MBwia was to be replaced by and it fell through.
    Also its common knowledge Celtic will sell when they get eliminated from the champions league. I would guess its highly likely although Southampton like him.

• 5 sweendog // Aug 5, 2015 at 3:59 PM

magpiesi .. southampton got a new defender in so not sure it we have this already sown up. I’ve a feeling we do.

• 6 pawl250 // Aug 5, 2015 at 4:03 PM

Glad Colo is staying. He is good enough I think.

Even Taylor is not half bad when he gets going, only problem is he basically ends up injured when he does. People seem to forget he was hovering around the England team not too long ago, and truth be known it was within good reason.

As for Williamson, he is the one for me that needs to go. Lascelles should step in as his “squad player role” and we should bring a solid CB in.

Pecking order should be:-

New CB

Sounds like Colo will start being the Captain but he should have pressure to ensure his game is good enough.

• 7 pawl250 // Aug 5, 2015 at 4:05 PM

We should have kept Mbiwa. Good enough for Roma in CL and competing for the Italian league, but not good enough for our relegation candidates last season.

Pardew you are having a laugh!

• 8 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Aug 5, 2015 at 4:06 PM

new CB under COlo??
    taylor over lasc???? what did we pay 4M for then? surely you dont think we can get 4M for taylor???

• 9 magpiesi // Aug 5, 2015 at 4:07 PM

I hope your right I watched him on sky on opening day and was better than I thought his passing was very good just like a cm from the back and can dribble and head the ball very well and at 6″4 will help set piece chances. I didn’t see much tackling tho as he mainly picked up stray long passes.

The other team was nowhere near premiership level but you can see the class in him.

• 10 sweendog // Aug 5, 2015 at 4:18 PM

magpiesi .. thats the problem with scottish football, celtic are streets ahead of everyone else. One thing we need over anything else is a cool head but also someone who can tackle, then its playing it from the back. I reckon williamson is away out of the other defenders.

• 11 pawl250 // Aug 5, 2015 at 4:18 PM

Lascelles does not stand out. I did follow him in Championship last year (and Darlow) whenever Forest was on and he really did not make me think hes ready for the PL.

I am unsure why we bought him, and for 4m its an odd one. The 4m is clearly the English fee, I mean Taylor would command more than 4m if he was Lascelles age in todays market.

That said Taylor is also injury prone. As for new CB UNDER Colo, based on SM latest comments it does not sound like we will have a new CB brought in to go above him so to speak.

I think Colo is good enough for PL, and he showed that a couple of seasons ago.

Lets be realistic though, Williamson is going no where, and no more Cbs will be bought whilst we have the current number of Cbs at the club we do now.

• 12 Belfast // Aug 5, 2015 at 4:24 PM

Well with any luck Celtic go out tonight then.

I think he’ll probably end up at Southampton though if they’re interested.

• 13 Offkey // Aug 5, 2015 at 4:28 PM

I think SM probably has Dummett over Taylor, just going off that radio interveiw where, to me at least, he implied that the chat about his fitness/future has occurred. He also indicated being informed that Dummett was a good player he has not seen yet…….no mention of either Lascelles or Willo so unsure what he thinks….

• 14 Offkey // Aug 5, 2015 at 4:30 PM

Sunday should answer a lot of questions…………..proper excited……its been a while……will have to find a bar in Portugal

• 15 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Aug 5, 2015 at 4:31 PM

Dummet definitely looked the most comfortable at CB last year of anyone we had. Not so much as LB, but def at CB.

• 16 Rotonda heights // Aug 5, 2015 at 4:31 PM

It’s weird how lascelles seems to have been completely written off. He’s never mentioned, even though he is allegedly older than MBemba!

I would have thought any combination that didn’t involve having to play one or both of saylor and willo has to be looked at.

Ideally MBemba and Lascelles or Colo sweeping behind lascelles and MBemba. To persist with the chuckle brothers is just an accident waiting to happen.

Yes the newbies may make mistakes but saylor’s and willo’s experience can’t compensate for Willo not being any kind of a footballer and Saylor thinking he is!

Would like the Van Dijk rumours to be true.

• 17 Offkey // Aug 5, 2015 at 4:35 PM

I dont see a great deal of other leagues so I’m more the Dennis Wise style scout……you know, Youtube greatest hits where clips can be made of Boumsong to make him look majestic……….. I like Van Dijk’s free kicks……answers two problems really if he can defend also

• 18 magpiesi // Aug 5, 2015 at 4:43 PM

Celtic game on bt sport Europe ko 1730 if anyone wants to see Van Dijk themselves.

• 19 ronaldo aarons // Aug 5, 2015 at 4:53 PM

Haven’t posted in a while but I have to say I really don’t see why there is great interest from fans for van dijk. I have seen him play a number of times and I personally think he would be exposed in this league. He is a good ball playing cb but he seriously is not the best of defenders which is what we need. We need someone like kamil glik, big strong defender and is a leader and organiser. Plays in the mould of vidic and terry which is what we need. We have a ball playing cb and I don’t think we should have 2 ball playing cbs in the first team. One needs to be a beast of a defender.

• 20 nut meg // Aug 5, 2015 at 5:11 PM

I’m pleased to see you back on here,you told me about Glik a month or so ago but I forgot who it was who told me..I looked him up on you tube but only limited footage. What I did see was exactly as you say in your post here. I very powerful imposing beast who wants to win every ball at all costs. He looks ready made for the PL,captain of both club & country.very impressive. Thanks for putting me on to him.

• 21 PapissGottaBrandNewBag // Aug 5, 2015 at 5:21 PM

Whatever happened to Ivan Toney?

• 22 Bambams // Aug 5, 2015 at 5:27 PM

So envious fella !
    There is nothing better than finding a bar abroad to watch the match.
    I am unfortunately late shift….

• 23 JamesToon // Aug 5, 2015 at 5:31 PM

Rotonda r.e Lascelles

I mentioned on here a few days ago that a CB pairing of Lascelles and either Colo/Mbemba against saints, 1. Lascelles is better than Williamson 2. Lascelles is the only one apart from Williamson who can physically match up to Pelles height and power

previous post: It’s Official – This Player Going Nowhere This Summer