World-Class Winger Would Be Fantastic Acquisition For Newcastle

There is news today that Inter-Milan winger Xherdan Shaqiri is still available, after German club Schalke have surprisingly passed up an option to sign him.

Newcastle have been linked with the player this summer,after he was deemed excess to requirements by Inter manager Roberto Mancini, even though he was just bought from Bayern Munich in January on a four and a half year contract.

xherdan shaqiri  -bayern-munich

Xherdan Shaqiri – still available

Schalke were in the lead to sign the 23 year-old Swiss International, but it looks like they have lost interest in the player.

Schalke coach Andre Breitenreiter has told German publication Sport Bild this today:

“Shaqiri is not of interest to us at the moment,” “We don’t even have meetings with him on our schedule.”

Stoke were interested in acquiring the player earlier in the summer, but after terms were agreed with Inter it seems the player did not want to move to Stoke.

Stave McClaren said last night on Total Sports on BBC Radio Newcastle that the club were still looking for players they could sign this summer, so here’s an excellent player who would only make the team better.

The player has already been capped 46 times capped by Switzerland (17 goals), but with him being such a good player, it’s not too surprising there have  been a number of clubs linked with the 23 year-old, who was born in Gjilan, Yugoslavia.

He emigrated to Switzerland when he was just one year old, and now has dual nationality – Swiss and Albanian – and he elected to play for Switzerland.

Xherdan has played for FC Basel and Bayern Munich before he moved to Italy in January,  and he is a skilled winger who can score goals – and we need a winger (plus a defender and another striker).

Newcastle have already surprised us this season by signing three top players – Gini Wijnaldum, Aleksandar Mitrovic and Chancel Mbemba for around £35M – and this lad they call the Alpine Messi would be a fantastic acquisition for Newcastle.

In his career at FC Basel, Bayern Munich and Inter – he’s played a total of 231 times with 43 goals and 48 assists.

Shaqiri has speed on and off the ball and is a player who is unpredictable on the ball, adept with both feet, clinical in front of goal while possessing excellent vision.

Just what we need at Newcastle!

What do you think?

• nut meg

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:37 PM

Absolutely !!

• LGFUAD21

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:38 PM

We have already decline him by some accounts. Silly decision. If we only signed him I think that’s be a good window and a decent team regardless of the lack of a shiny new cb.

• Menelauos

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:39 PM

I wish, but I would rather spend that £12m on a new Cb.

• Menelauos

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:42 PM

Another £30m on Shaqiri and a tall, commanding CB, and it’s window over.
    Euro league guaranteed.

• Robby Bobson

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:43 PM

You do have to wonder why theres a lack of interest in the guy.

He clearly has talent, but is inconsistent.

Reminds me of Hatem when we signed him, endless talent just needs a platform to shine.

Go get him I say, we’re not gonna win the league or get into Europe, so we might as well be bloody entertained!!!

• TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:46 PM

stop teasing us ed! we arent doing any more business unless something crazy happens.

is it wrong to hope for an injury for one of our cbs not from DR congo?? is that the only way we bring in another CB?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:47 PM

I wouldn’t mind having Shaqiri on a season long loan with an option to buy!

…I wonder whether there’s a reason why Mancini wants rid of him and Schalke won’t take up their option to buy him.

• lochinvar

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:47 PM

Why would Mancini let him go ?
    Is it that Agents and players are prioritising a few years pay days in the Premiership before retiring to the sun of Qatar or elsewhere.
    That apart, could be a good part of the new jigsaw – and of course another CB

• croftus5678

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:49 PM

thinking thats our window over now tbh !

not disapointed think we got 3 players capable of playing in the top 6 teams so its def a step in the right direction.

over all i think we are 2-3 players short of a challenge for europe.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Nut meg from previous thread

No problem, I’ve mentioned him a few times and I’m glad to have got through to at least one person lol. He really is a good player but 27 I think so I don’t think Ashley would go for him because there wouldn’t be much resale value. Clips on youtube don’t really do him justice, I’ve seen quite a bit of Italian football the past couple of years and when you see him regularly for full games you just get impressed.

Shaqiri would be great, he would be that player that unlocks defences and win games. But until we get another solid cb then he should wait really.

• magpiesi

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:52 PM

He wants a reported 80k a week no chance as colo is the highest earner.

There was talk his agent is waiting for cl options Shalke didn’t qualify this season so they will properly wait until last few days of window and go to who pays the most.

• Graeme

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:54 PM

Havent seen much of him, but it was excellent. He’s certainly a player the fans would love to watch and he seems to have an end product to go with his talent.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:56 PM

I have to add, shaqiri would be a great addition. I remember at bayern, Ribera was injured for a while and shaqiri played the majority of games he was outstanding. Think he only left them because he wasn’t given a regular starting place when both ribery and robbed were fit. Inter are only letting him go because they have to reduce squad numbers and since they just bought him in January they are willing to sell him. We should actually raid Switzerland, they have some gems. Breel donald embolo is another who I think we should go for as the second striker/winger. Very good player in the making and another I’ve mentioned a couple of times. Basel do bring through some good players.

• BeeGuy

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:03 PM

I think we should all conclude the window is closed except for outgoings. If something falls from the sky, then accept the miracle.

• Robby Bobson

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:09 PM

Yes I think the window is closed, for major signings anyway judging by what McClaren was saying yesterday, he kind of suggests that they chose Mitrovic over Austin.

Its possible we were looking at other big money signings, but I reckon that was in the event of Cisse/Tiote leaving for decent money.

Saw some Van Dijk talk, the commentator on Bt Sport said hes as good as Jon Stones! I agree with Rolando Aarons on the previous thread, he is great on the ball but he defends in the David Luiz mould, thinks hes better than he is, so becomes abit erratic and I think could be exposed in the prem.

• Jack

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:10 PM

I would be very suprised if we were after him, way too good for us I would have thought. Although Shalke didn’t want him so there could be room for some hope. I still have the feeling that he thinks he is too good for us, he rejected Stoke, what do we have to offer now that Stoke are better then us in terms of football and league position?

• toon kk

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:16 PM

Its just a speculation story by Ed.

• the broons

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:18 PM

Beeguy

Unfortunately i think you’re right. Think our business is done, shame really cos a new centre back would put is in a really strong position this season.

• Ron Knee

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:25 PM

jesper
    Newcastle 14th. Sounds about right to me.

• Yohan Kebab

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:35 PM

Krul-Elliot

Janmaat-bigi??
    Mbemba-taylor
    Colo-willo
    Haidara-dummett

Colback-tiote
    Wijnaldum-anita

Sissoko-perez
    Sdj-Cabella
    Aarons-obertan

Mitrovic-cisse

Still leaves riviere,gouffran darlow and maybe others I’ve missed.

Whilst the quality maybe less than we would like the depth is finally there and we are in no position to sign anyone until we shift some people out

We miss two things imo rb cover and a free kick specialist. Why we released Ryan Taylor I don’t know

• Belfast

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:39 PM

Jesper most pundits/journalists are predicting the same position as him.

14-15th.

• Take a Chancel on me

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:44 PM

Just done my Sun Dream Team

Cech

Janmaat Williams Mbemba Baines

Cazorla Wijnaldum Aarons

Sanchez Mitrovic Aguero

• Robby Bobson

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:48 PM

Yohan Kebab

did you not see taylors delivery from set pieces last season? Abysmal.

Marveuax is our best crosser of the ball but cant see him getting a ‘clean slate’ due to wages and always been injured!

• Ron Knee

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:49 PM

TFL
    For a split second there I read Williamson!

• Belfast

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:49 PM

Two Newcastle players in your back four? You’re ferked lol

• Our Toon

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:53 PM

Apparently Fer has failed his medical at the scum!!

• Our Toon

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:54 PM

Chancel

Sanchez and Aguero are missing the first 2 or 3 games as they were at Copa America. Aren’t match fit buddy, I’ve left them out of my team for this reason

• Jack

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:05 PM

My sun dream team

————–Fabianski
    Ivanovic-Terry-Fonte-Colemen
    —De Jong-Payet-Wijnaldum
    —Aguero-Mitrovic-Benteke

• toon kk

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:13 PM

Our situation is we’ve some good players some average player’s and below average in our first team, leave the starting eleven and we’re down to league 1 quality at best.
    Its a gamble when the injuries set in and they will.

• welshgeordie9

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:17 PM

My sun dream team

Krul
    Janmaat Colo mbemba Haidara
    Sissoko tiote
    Cabella Gini Aarons
    Mitrovic Cisse

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:18 PM

Belfast…even the worst pessimist in me think we will do better than that!

…have to admit though the three players we have signed is bar minimum and crucial injuries can turn everything upside down.

I still believe we will finish 10-11 this season. If we get the last players we need then 8-9 is a possibility.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:19 PM

Ron…14th would be under performing in my book.

…and I don’t even think SM is that great as he is made out to be 😉

• geordieboy83

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:20 PM

My sun dream team
    De gea
    Jaanmat. Aldeirwerald. Jagielka. Ivanivic
    Depay. Wijnaldum. Hazard
    Berahino. Aguero. Sanchez

• Take a Chancel on me

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:23 PM

No Ron I’m not that sadistic

• Our Toon

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:26 PM

Welshy

Is that your Sun team or your NUFC blog team? Do you have a different XI for the Swansea blog?

Just joking with ya fella!!

• Ron Knee

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:27 PM

jesper
    We’ll see! Obviously, if we improve the defence we should finish mid-table, at least.

• Jack

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:30 PM

Lol Welshie using 12 players :’)