The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Can Newcastle Start Season With Win Against Southampton?

8:36 am, Thursday, August 6th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 26 Comments

The second half of last season was the worst Newcastle have ever fared in the Premier League,  and in the final 19 games we gained only 13 points under John Carver, and three of those came in the very last game when we were in danger of being relegated.

The previous 10 games had yielded only one point, and we lost eight games in a row in that spell for the first time ever in the Premier League.

In the first 19 games under Alan Pardew we had twice those points – 26 – and were in a comfortable 9th place when Carver took over.

stve mcclaren borussia

Debut home league game for Steve McClaren

Carver was in way over his head, and when you think back to what happened earlier this year, it would be great if we can start the new season with a win.

But Southampton are a very good side, and they qualified for the Europa League this season.

They finished in 7th place with 60 points, and that’s 21 points more than we had last season.

The Saints play at Vitesse Arnhem tonight, after winning the first leg of the 3rd round qualifying 3-0 at St. Mary’s last Thursday.

So that could give Newcastle an edge in the game, but the Saints will provide a very good test of this Newcastle team under new head coach Steve McClaren.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Southampton?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Newcastle News · Poll · Pre-season · Premier League

26 responses so far ↓

• 1 northernracoon // Aug 6, 2015 at 8:48 AM

Going along to the game on sunday with my grandad, he is predicting a very optimistic 3-1 win…. im going for a 2-2 draw with wini and mitro on the score sheet

• 2 EllaGuru // Aug 6, 2015 at 8:51 AM

I can’t see us getting a win on Saturday. Southampton are they type of team that have schooled us over the last couple of seasons.
    High pressing line, fast and efficient use of the ball. This has typically left our back four chasing their own tails.
    I do feel we can cause them a problem or two this time round however.
    Still, this could be a hark back to the Entertainers era, you score 3, we score 4 type of mentality!

HWTL

• 3 flint // Aug 6, 2015 at 8:52 AM

A win would be a great start, so let’s hope the team have gelled and we get behind them. HTM

• 4 lesh // Aug 6, 2015 at 8:53 AM

Northernracoon

Go with your grandpa’s predicted though 6-1 would be tasty!

Oh, dear, woken up now – I was enjoying that dream.

HWTL, HWTF.

• 5 lesh // Aug 6, 2015 at 8:54 AM

* predicted = prediction.

Mickey Mouse phone!

• 6 northernracoon // Aug 6, 2015 at 8:56 AM

My grandad lives in the ‘bookies’ every day of the week …well for the past 33 years of my life anyway lol… he is normally pretty accurate but when it comes to the toon he can be a little over optimistic…. but lets hope he is right..id take that anyday 🙂

• 7 TheToonKing // Aug 6, 2015 at 8:57 AM

A draw is the best I’m hoping for. Southampon have been excellent, both last season and in their pre-season.

While I think we’ll mostly line up with a team from last season. With Wijnaldum added as a starter and potentially Mitorivic…I’m not sure it will be enough for a win, this early…

I’d take a draw.

• 8 Lindisfarne // Aug 6, 2015 at 9:03 AM

Interesting comment yesterday that compared Colback & Anita to the holding role that Tiote plays. Blaming the apparent poorness of the defense on the opposition exploiting the space vacated by the former pair pressing higher up the pitch. I had also noticed that a lot of the goals conceded were encapsulated by the view of Colback / Anita unsuccessfully chasing back and hopefully this ‘problem’ will be dealt with by the new coaches. But they have a long list to work through!

• 9 geordieboy83 // Aug 6, 2015 at 9:04 AM

How’s this for a scenario we get to cup final this season, lose but still qualify for Europe, then next season win uefa cup, consequently qualify for champions league and Ashley is gone

• 10 geordieboy83 // Aug 6, 2015 at 9:06 AM

Plus we will win 3-1 on Sunday, wij, jaan and de Jong off the bench

• 11 TudorCrisps // Aug 6, 2015 at 9:06 AM

4-0 The toon, not a bad price at 80/1 worth a £5a I suppose

• 12 Jamseyd24 // Aug 6, 2015 at 9:08 AM

Really struggling to see us getting anything from this game, I think it will take us 3 – 4 games to find our form.
    0 – 2 Southhampton, really hope im wrong

• 13 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 6, 2015 at 9:09 AM

Going from where we left off last season and the pre’season we have had I am not going to expect miracles!

…anything can happen on Sunday we all know that. And it doesn’t have to mean anything, but then again it can mean everything!

• 14 sparky55 // Aug 6, 2015 at 9:10 AM

If I remember rightly we gave them quite a good game at home last year and Keoman’s was absolutely delighted to have won the game…but very different to the thrashing we got down there.

My optimistic side is hoping for a draw…my realistic side says we’ll get beat because Southampton are a very good side, they have an outstanding manager and they’ve been playing competitive football for 4 weeks die to their involvement in the Europa league and they are way ahead of us in fitness and playing together.

I think 1-3 mainly due to the defence we’ll be putting out and the way Southampton play football means they’ll carve us up in the last third….they’ll be far too clever for the dimwits we’ve got at the back that’s for sure…the only thing we have going in our favour is the 11 that go out tomorrow will be playing their hearts out to impress the new manager but as we all know heart is only one of the qualities you need to be a good footballer.

• 15 Jamseyd24 // Aug 6, 2015 at 9:14 AM

geordieboy83

I must say I love your optimism. Do you think people would still what him gone, if we made a cup final this yr and won the Europa Cup next yr? follow by Champions league?? he would be a legend

• 16 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 6, 2015 at 9:16 AM

I find the biggest difference between the dealings we have done and the dealings Sunderland has done are they have sorted out their defense…we haven’t!

• 17 DaraghL // Aug 6, 2015 at 9:17 AM

Repost from previous article. Would be interested to see peoples opinions on it.

On topic. I would snap their hands off for a draw. Hopefully a similar game to Monchengladbach but the woodwork is an inch thinner.
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
    DaraghL // Aug 6, 2015 at 8:38 AM

I believe the club is willing to spend; however only on players they have identified as the right player for the right price. This is backed up by what Steve is saying.

Take Van Dijk for example. Ronny Deila has consistently stated the club will not sell him if they make the champions league; therefore, if Celtic lost last night, Van Dijk would have been available.

I believe cases like this are what the club are seeking.

The fans, like myself, want players like Shaqiri; however he is highly priced, on a large salary and is not wanted by Inter? The club is likely asking why and may have found their answer.

I wish we signed more, like any fan; however signing players like Affelay/Balotelli etc just because they’re available would lead us to more Riviere’s claiming an undeserved paycheck.

I am going to be patient and hope we’re rewarded if not by deadline day (We might actually have a reason to turn it on this year) then by January.

• 18 Rotonda heights // Aug 6, 2015 at 9:23 AM

in answer to the headline if we start with willo, saylor and obertan then chances are slim.

• 19 jimmysmith // Aug 6, 2015 at 9:26 AM

I’ve seen Newcastle play some great stuff and go on some great runs in Ashley’s time, only to be undone by a too thin and unbalanced squad, and making that high level of competitiveness the exception rather than the norm, essentially for the want of two or three quality players. This is the best looking squad I’ve seen at Newcastle for a while. They will privately be looking with some confidence at top eight and publicly keeping their cards close to their chest. Two or three more players would confirm it, of course, but its true they do have to be the right ones, so a little patience and tolerance is something the club should be given after this seemingly positive window. There’s little future in Ashley not ultimately pressing on, other than to have bought himself some short term breathing space, which would be highly cynical considering his public statement of intent on Sky.

• 20 hibbit // Aug 6, 2015 at 9:26 AM

i am not sure what the score will be on sunday it depends on the team Mc puts out and which newcastle team team turns up

• 21 northernracoon // Aug 6, 2015 at 9:30 AM

I was a little encouraged by the game at the weekend agaisnt the german team ( names far too long for this time of morning ) they are a very good side and if it wasnt for the odd bit of bad luck and not getting the rub of the green i think we should of won or drawn that game at least…. the players will of had this weekend in the back of their mind and not going 100 %…. yes if taylor and williamson are our starting 2 cb…then we will leak goals… but… stranger things have happened than winning agaisnt a good footballing team :-)… i do think de jong will create a goal or score one coming on as a sub…he seems to ghost into great positions

• 22 expatmag // Aug 6, 2015 at 9:57 AM

I think too many of you negative posters are basing your opinions on us losing the way we played last season under Pardew/Carver.

Whilst we had the same players other than the 3 we gave signed, I believe we will be a lot better organised, play a better brand of football and surprise many of you.

2-0 win

• 23 bobby mango // Aug 6, 2015 at 10:24 AM

Expat – I know preseason is mainly about fitness but we didn’t play well (in all areas) in any single game.

If things had clicked totally in just one game I’d feel more encouraged.

I’m expecting progress but not a great deal immediately.

• 24 toontaff2 // Aug 6, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Do these posters really believe the mackems have good defenders? Willo is probably quicker than most of them and a better player, which says it all!

• 25 nufc 11 // Aug 6, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Very doubtful with our back four we could even win a game its a bit strange 3 days away from the opener we more of less have the same defenders we had in the championship no good driving a mustang without engine oil, Haidara is very suspect defensivley, Colo and Willo the less siad and Taylor? Janmatt and Mbeama play in the middle with Taylor RB and Haidara left will prob just about put up a show. Michael Dawson is availible 4/6million could walk in and be club captain 2maro but the club seem to be looking for the perfect deal aint gona happen at this late stage PL points will be at stake sunday. Wake up you lot the back four are a shambles, Maybe Jose will Zouma go on loan if Stones arrives? hed be a top partner for Mbeama a dominating CB we havent had one in donkey’s years always the laughing stock of the league defensivley.

• 26 The Great Valerio // Aug 6, 2015 at 11:01 AM

“I’ve never predicted anything in my life. And I never will.” – the genius of Chris Waddle there.

previous post: Newcastle Star – You Can See What A Big Club This Is