The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Star – You Can See What A Big Club This Is

8:17 am, Thursday, August 6th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 5 Comments

Gini Wijnaldum has been well received by the home fans since he singed for us last month, and he is finally going to make his home league debut on Sunday afternoon against Southampton, hopefully in front of a sell-out 52,000 fans at St. James’ Park.

The Dutch International has been told for a number of years now how good things are at Newcastle, principally by goalkeeper Tim Krul, who has urged the 24 year-old to join Newcastle for a while now.

Tim was finally successful in that endeavor this summer.

steve mcclaren with Geordinio Wijnaldum

Steve McClaren and Gini Wijnaldum when he was signed

Gini has been interviewed by the local press today and this is what he said:

“I have looked forward to playing in a Premier League game for some time.”  “Especially as it is at home.”

“I have already heard the fans at these games are amazing.” “And I want to feel that atmosphere. I can’t wait for that.”

“The players and staff have all done their very best to make me feel at home.” “You can see what a big club this is.”

“The fans are true fans and they love their club.  “I was told that I would see that in the home games.”

Wijnaldum has settled in well at Newcastle, and he will play in central midfield and he has already shown what a class player he is.

Siem de Jong is being handled carefully after last season’s injuries, but we hope that both Gini and Siem can be starters for Newcastle this season, and along with Moussa Sissoko, we should have a very strong engine room next season.

Jack Colback has also been playing well in one of the holding positions in pre-season, and looks the steady consistent player we brought in as a free agent from Sunderland last summer.

Southampton are a good side, and it’s going to be very tough for Newcastle on Sunday, but all 3 points would be a great start for us.

Here’s hoping.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Southampton?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Georginio Wijnaldum · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Premier League · Siem de Jong · Transfer News and Rumours

5 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bambams // Aug 6, 2015 at 8:21 AM

Hope he can play CB. ….

Two more signings away from possibly Europe. …

I hope they realise this

• 2 firebug666 // Aug 6, 2015 at 8:32 AM

Sounds to me like it a manufactured interview, with a plea to that fans to come and fill the ground.

Am I being a cynic? Maybe, but after eight years of Ashley and forty odd years before him I find optimism hard to come by.

I hope we win on Sunday, but I think we will get beat in a close game, we will be pressing higher up the pitch, and a ball over the top will leave our poor defence foundering as their strikers skip past them.

• 3 DaraghL // Aug 6, 2015 at 8:38 AM

I believe the club is willing to spend; however only on players they have identified as the right player for the right price. This is backed up by what Steve is saying.

Take Van Dijk for example. Ronny Deila has consistently stated the club will not sell him if they make the champions league; therefore, if Celtic lost last night, Van Dijk would have been available.

I believe cases like this are what the club are seeking.

The fans, like myself, want players like Shaqiri; however he is highly priced, on a large salary and is not wanted by Inter? The club is likely asking why and may have found their answer.

I wish we signed more, like any fan; however signing players like Affelay/Balotelli etc just because they’re available would lead us to more Riviere’s claiming an undeserved paycheck.

I am going to be patient and hope we’re rewarded if not by deadline day (We might actually have a reason to turn it on this year) then by January.

• 4 lesh // Aug 6, 2015 at 8:47 AM

You are in deed a cynic but you’re right.

Of course this was a structured interview (by the NUFC press wallahs) and after a season of fan discontent, both inside and out of SJP, it came as no surprise.

No doubt the Club, McClaren and the players will be hoping that Sunday’s crowd will provide the support that the Club’s fans are renowned for.
    A full-house with the crowd firmly and vociferously behind the lads could go some way to compensating for defensive worries.

Maybe McClaren’ll choose to adopt the Keegan philosophy – we go out to score more than the opposition?

Ahhh, heady days they were but things have moved on, for better or worse and there’s no doubt that the SJP crowd is the twelfth man – if they’re behind the lads.

Let’s hope that fans realise and allow for a terrible pre-season and show the new lads what it means to play in black and white.

• 5 beefman13 // Aug 6, 2015 at 9:52 AM

Message to Mr Wijnaldum, the away fans are incredible, ten times better atmosphere away then at home, certainly in recent times, nowt like being amongst it especially if we are winning, awesome.

previous post: Former Newcastle Great Upbeat On Newcastle

next post: Can Newcastle Start Season With Win Against Southampton?