The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

This Man Could Be Surprise Selection Against Southampton

4:58 pm, Friday, August 7th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 164 Comments

We were pleased that Steve McClaren cleared up the reasons why Fab Coloccini has been unsettled in this pre-season, and it looks like Alan Pardew was offering him a three year deal to join Crystal Palace, and had offers from two or three other clubs too.

The Newcastle head coach cleared that all up yesterday by offering the Newcastle captain a year extension  on his contract at the club – and so the 33 year-old will be at the club until the summer of 2017 when he will be 35, and is expected to retire from the game.

Colo will then have been at Newcastle for nine years.

fab coloccini looking glum

Fab Coloccini – on the sidelines in pre-season

In his press conference yesterday McClaren also said that Colo had been training for the majority of the time  – so we assume that Achilles injury is not bad – and with everything now sorted out it wouldn’t be surprising if Colo starts the game against the Saints on Sunday.

He’s so experienced that he can come in and be ready to play (hopefully) a solid game for the team, and he is going to be an important cog in Newcastle’s wheel for the coming season.

Newcastle need him to play somewhere near his best if we are to have a good first season under Steve McClaren.

This is what Steve said yesterday about his captain:

“He’s done the majority of the training – like the rest – but not played the games,” “It’s another decision that will have to be made on the day, but sometimes the best way to get up to speed and fitness is just to play.”

McClaren also explained that Colo was very well respected by all the Newcastle players:

“I asked a lot of people in the squad, the senior players, and to a man they said they wanted Colo in the team.”

“They respect him as a player, man and captain. From then on it was a case of sitting down and saying, ‘We want you to stay’.”

“From day one he has said to me that he wanted to finish his career at Newcastle, but that there were three or four opportunities that he had.”

You can stick somebody in like that without any match fitness – but only if they are experienced – like Fab Coloccini.

We expect Fab to lead out Newcastle on Sunday and hopefully we can start off thee season with a win.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Southampton?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Contracts · Fabricio Coloccini · Financials · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

164 responses so far ↓

• 1 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 7, 2015 at 5:04 PM

McClaren was saying Pardew’s interest has been an unsettling distraction for Colo. Why should that be? The bloke is forever distracted. I’m sick of it. The squad needs freshening up and Colo needs to go. Teams and supporters thrive on change. Bad move by Makro IMO, but we’ll see.

• 2 Brian Pinas // Aug 7, 2015 at 5:05 PM

@B&B

It’s just how you would see it on sky before a game, isn’t it?. A rough idea of where players will play. With scope for fluidity obviously. I just meant it shows the defensive shape because our attacking one would have Haidara and Janmaat high up the pitch.

• 3 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 5:06 PM

Ashley Out!

• 4 Bambams // Aug 7, 2015 at 5:07 PM

If his head is on the game and he has pace alongside him we will be ok. Mbemba has to start if we have his visa.
    I am not having a pop at either CB but I hope we don’t start with Colo and Willo .

Mitrovic will definitely start as will Wini….

Not sure about SDJ.

The sooner we get SDJ up to speed the better. He will get at least 10 goals this season, watch him come in at the back post late. Similar to Gary Speed used to.

He will be a great player once fit

• 5 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 5:07 PM

Not that much of a surprise seeing as he’s still better if he lost a leg altogether than Iron Mike on all three cylinders.

• 6 WWSBRD // Aug 7, 2015 at 5:11 PM

So imp it’ll be
    Krul
    Jan Saylor Colo/Willo Haidara
    Colback Anita Wini
    Sissoko Cisse ???

• 7 nut meg // Aug 7, 2015 at 5:11 PM

He was experienced last year and the year before and the year before that….did he show his class then,not very much IMHO. If he starts on Sunday, fear the worst people!

• 8 magfly // Aug 7, 2015 at 5:27 PM

Colo is a top class footballer people who call him no nothing about football.

• 9 ToonDownSouth // Aug 7, 2015 at 5:34 PM

WWSBRD

That line-up looks far too familiar to be comforting…

• 10 Belfast // Aug 7, 2015 at 5:39 PM

Skunki out!

• 11 Belfast // Aug 7, 2015 at 5:42 PM

Call him what magfly?

• 12 SELondonFan // Aug 7, 2015 at 5:42 PM

Hi people!

I read this blog quite a bit, but never post.

I was just wondering if there was any fans on this blog travelling up Sunday to watch the game from London?

I think i’m on the 9/930AM train from from Kings Cross.
    I’m going up on my own so it’d be nice to meet another reader on the way up or something.

Cheers!

• 13 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 5:43 PM

Mayfly I would introduce you to toonbrother but I think he’s done something really bad to himself.

• 14 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 5:43 PM

Oops magfly ha ha

• 15 WWSBRD // Aug 7, 2015 at 5:48 PM

TDS
    It’ll bring us a great 4 nil loss my friend don’t worry

• 16 Belfast // Aug 7, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Two more sleeps until Dennis twice returns.

Attack Toon Attack Attack!

• 17 doofa the loofa // Aug 7, 2015 at 5:49 PM

King colo in..

• 18 Belfast // Aug 7, 2015 at 5:49 PM

He’s been missed.

• 19 JackButler // Aug 7, 2015 at 5:53 PM

Well, seeing as we are up there with the big spenders, the team on Sunday will look far to familiar to inspire most, let’s just hope SM has worked some magic on the training field

• 20 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 5:58 PM

(Sound of battle horn) Dennis Twice- Assemble!

• 21 spaghetti bandit // Aug 7, 2015 at 6:01 PM

Net spend is a load of boll#cks

• 22 dok - the horrid colonial // Aug 7, 2015 at 6:04 PM

maybe dennis killed someone with a trident… escalated quickly

• 23 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 6:06 PM

Dok – yeah it did, didn’t it?

😀

• 24 Thump // Aug 7, 2015 at 6:06 PM

He has to start. If not it’s Saylor and Willo.

• 25 LGFUAD21 // Aug 7, 2015 at 6:06 PM

For all the stick and lack of imagination Pardew has.

I’ve long maintain that he’ll do fine at palace because the players at his disposal are more suited to him. He clearly can’t handle technical ball players with patience. So he mismanaged or orstracised them. He can work with direct, powerful players with pace.

His palace players are more rigid defensively with their shape.

Our squad will outsmart theirs any day of the week but he’s a god match for palace.

• 26 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 6:08 PM

Quite an essay spag band. Easy to get bogged down in but I particularly liked your reasoning in the ‘ disposal of depreciating versus appreciating assets ‘ section. Riveting.

• 27 dok - the horrid colonial // Aug 7, 2015 at 6:08 PM

tsuniki,

it did ,been meaning to say, he might need to go into hiding for awhile

god I miss rainrix, he’s probably at his home on whore island 🙂

• 28 dok - the horrid colonial // Aug 7, 2015 at 6:10 PM

just read that LVG has spent 330 million in transfer fees alone in his 12 months at the helm… fcuk me…. what we could do with that spending tyneside…

• 29 lukes26 // Aug 7, 2015 at 6:12 PM

Part of the problem is Anita playing Def Mid.

Anita only averages a yellow card every 11 games. . If you’re aggressive and constant tackler, yellows will happen.

Top tier def mids, like schneiderlin, Matic and fabregas all average a yellow around every 4 games.

What’s insane is Obertan has never had a Yellow his entire career with Newcastle.

• 30 spaghetti bandit // Aug 7, 2015 at 6:12 PM

Ha,, needed no more explaining

• 31 Jamseyd24 // Aug 7, 2015 at 6:15 PM

Slightly of topic but is no one bothered that we dont have a single England regular in our squad?? I’m form N Ireland and even I would like to see a Toon player turning out for England, In fact we dont have a single home nations international.

• 32 Jamseyd24 // Aug 7, 2015 at 6:16 PM

That being said, iv always been a big fan of the Dutch!!!!

• 33 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Aug 7, 2015 at 6:17 PM

Jamseyd24
    Im pretty sure one of Mbemba’s birth certificates are from the UK. Hell be on the england squad in no time.

• 34 scottoon // Aug 7, 2015 at 6:30 PM

Martoon –

Bit late to the party but here goes:

League Position 9th
    Number of Points – 53
    League Cup – quarters
    FA Cup – 4th round
    1st team signings – 4
    1st team departures – 2
    Top Scorer – Mitrovic
    Number of Goals – 14

• 35 scottoon // Aug 7, 2015 at 6:37 PM

So with Colo signing an extension, the club is telling us that there will not be another CB signing IMO. We have Collo and Mbemba as the preferred pairing with Taylor, Willo, Lascelles and Good as the back ups.

I don’t see Cisse going anywhere either, so that means no more strikers in either, especially if McLaren plays his preferred formation with just one up top. I see the centre of the pitch as reasonably well sorted so the only areas where we might see more signings are for a winger and maybe RB cover (but Mbemba probably fits that role) So for the first team, maybe a winger in and that is job done for the board as I see it. Not that I agree with it, but just my suspicions.

• 36 hibbit // Aug 7, 2015 at 6:38 PM

magfly…. i have a feeling that the one that knows nowt about football is YOU

• 37 hibbit // Aug 7, 2015 at 6:44 PM

thump,,,its taylor and willo only pairing with game time

• 38 will die for the toon army // Aug 7, 2015 at 6:55 PM

I never talk abt other clubs but Garry Monk and Mark Hughes are building something. Thats e patience we have to give Mcclaren too to build a Top four team patience.

Monk and Hughes have made their clubs from bottom half clubs to Top half clubs and increase in points ratio every season.

As fans we shld believe we r no longer a Top club of the 90s and early 2000s. And look at now and know we r a bottom half team wanting to go to Top 10. We make Top 10 and showing enthusiasm then its good work for the season and we build from there. As of right now we have no team we r jst building one. We have no foundation so we need Mcclaren and his staff to build one.

• 39 toonbrother // Aug 7, 2015 at 6:55 PM

As a club we are cursed
    Only a cursed side inflicts so much pain on itself
    Until mclaren realises this guy is a joke, i wont waste my time losing sleep over this club

• 40 toonbrother // Aug 7, 2015 at 6:57 PM

all that great work in the transfer window thrown away for this joke of a player
    you’ve gotta be kidding me

• 41 beermonkey // Aug 7, 2015 at 7:00 PM

toonbrother

lol I bet its made ur summer

• 42 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 7:01 PM

Toonbrother I’m genuinely pleased you haven’t done away with yourself.

• 43 bladeuser // Aug 7, 2015 at 7:04 PM

Magfly
    so colo is a top player is he
    i beg to differ he is slow cannot win a header moves into midfield exposing that other useless muppet williamson i put it to u that my description of colo in a vote would win hands down and u r the one that knows f@@@ all about football

• 44 dok - the horrid colonial // Aug 7, 2015 at 7:08 PM

cancel the milk carton adverts.. toonbrother is here!!

• 45 Jib // Aug 7, 2015 at 7:09 PM

It seems like ages since we had a Charlie Austin article 😎

• 46 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 7:09 PM

This is genuinely a high point of the blog. I’m sorry if I’m mocking your pain but it was always going to happen, like watching a supertanker crashing, it all starts from miles off.

• 47 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 7:09 PM

Jeff I feel it in my water it’s not long coming now.

• 48 toonbrother // Aug 7, 2015 at 7:09 PM

We are doomed
    This is the worst news of the summer
    We have had the worst defence in the league for 2 years running and Colo has been the constant in those terrible displays
    Everyone he has been partnered with has looked bad
    From Yanga mbiwa, to Taylor, to williamson to Dummett
    Now He is going to ruin Chancel’s career at NUFC as well
    Shocking decision by any standards
    How Mclaren could be so naive as to let outside “interest” from Palace pressure him into giving Colo a new contract is beyond me

• 49 toonbrother // Aug 7, 2015 at 7:10 PM

I am DONE!

• 50 will die for the toon army // Aug 7, 2015 at 7:14 PM

Guys lets b patient. We have no team Mcclaren is trying to build one and all u guys are crying like babies.

Give Mcclaren a season and judge him. We are so ambitious and impatient.

• 51 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 7:15 PM

Come on toonbrother chin up mate he’s still injured…

• 52 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 7:23 PM

I’m just thankful I was here when that happened 😀

• 53 hibbit // Aug 7, 2015 at 7:23 PM

will die for the toon army……8 years and counting and were impatient

• 54 scottoon // Aug 7, 2015 at 7:27 PM

I have to wonder if McLaren is going to set us up as on out and out attacking team…..the new entertainers. It would certainly be against his character but it would go a long way to explaining the lack of acquisitions at the back. We do have a number of options going forward, and with players like SDJ and Aarons returning to health, and contributing goals from midfield we may just be looking to win 4-3 each time out.

• 55 will die for the toon army // Aug 7, 2015 at 7:30 PM

Hibbitt. How long did Manure wait for Sir Alex to make a team.

• 56 hibbit // Aug 7, 2015 at 7:35 PM

scottoon the prem has changed so much since kk had us playing like that teams would just over run us now …to get anywhere you have to be good in all departments not just one

• 57 scottoon // Aug 7, 2015 at 7:38 PM

hibbit – not saying we would be successful doing that, just theorizing as to what might be happening in the minds of the powers that be, given the assets we have at our disposal. I just don’t see us going out and spending more on another CB although I wish we would. I agree that we really need to show some intent to shore up the back line and build from there.

• 58 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 7, 2015 at 7:40 PM

Skunki…did you tell him? 🙂

• 59 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 7:42 PM

Jesper I didn’t have to. I just landed here as he stepped into the room and blew his top. 🙂 I fear he may have thrown in the towel.

Don’t despair toonbrother, hang in there lad only another two years….

• 60 Jib // Aug 7, 2015 at 7:45 PM

This is what the Guardian thinks for Sunday

• 61 hibbit // Aug 7, 2015 at 7:45 PM

scottoon if you know the problems and i know the problems why can the club not see them… my own thoughts are we have spent what we had anyting else will have to come from sales the trouble is there are no buyers for our rubbish taylor /oberton/willo/ the list goes on and on ….no sales no buys

• 62 doofa the loofa // Aug 7, 2015 at 7:47 PM

Net spend Champions… as we’ve all drawn a line under last season?! What a simply world hammering start… happy days..

• 63 scottoon // Aug 7, 2015 at 7:56 PM

hibbit – I am in complete agreement with you. We are at a point where we cant actually add to the squad because the deadwood has no market value. Perhaps the only real value player we have is Cisse and if he is sold, then we need another striker so we still don’t bolster the defence. Rumours Abeid is going but wont command significant revenue. I just don’t know where we can sell to turn the sale into a true squad improvement. Hope I am wrong but we have 8 years of evidence to sift through.

• 64 scottoon // Aug 7, 2015 at 7:57 PM

Net spend champions? That must count as winning something?

Ashley OOT!

• 65 GeordieTwo // Aug 7, 2015 at 7:59 PM

The club haven’t done anywhere near enough to get us into the top 10. So much for Ashley’s interview bollocks. Stay tuned for more of the same at the end of this season. Top 14 is good enough says Mike!!!!

• 66 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:01 PM

scottoon

Heres a quick 45M to buy austin shaqiri, abdennour

Per transfer Mrkt
    Goufran 6.M
    Obertan 9M
    Taylor 6M
    Willo 5M
    Marv 3M
    Tiote 11M
    Bigi 2M

• 67 GeordieTwo // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:02 PM

Steve will try and Mike will get in the way as usual. Once we take 4-7 points from our first 7 games we can settle down and support our bottom 10 side set up by you know who…..Miiiiiiikkkkke Ashleyyyyyyy!!!

• 68 GeordieTwo // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:03 PM

Obertan 9M Taco mate @65? By that you mean 9 Mars bars I assume?

• 69 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:04 PM

Taco I must admit I stopped reading that list when I got to Obertan £9m

• 70 welshgeordie9 // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:05 PM

Good evening ladies, any news on Austin or Barnetta.

• 71 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:05 PM

sorry, the decimal point got left off. Thats a quick 4.5M

• 72 GeordieinOhio // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:07 PM

LMAO @ 9m for obertan

• 73 ShirebrookToon // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:07 PM

Charlie Nicholas what a w@nker

Charlie Nicholas predicts:

Champions: Arsenal

Top four: Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City

Relegation: Watford, Norwich, Newcastle

• 74 scottoon // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:12 PM

Taco – if we could get those numbers for any of the players on that list, I am sure the club would snap the buyer’s hand off. Not a chance that any of the players named would actually command that kind of value.

• 75 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:13 PM

it was a joke! im shocked people got passed goufran for 6M

• 76 scottoon // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:17 PM

Good one Taco…it was a joke whether you intended it to be or not!

• 77 Mister Tuff // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:18 PM

Looks like Wally was prepared to have ol permed hair for another year – but the evil King Percy put paid to those plans with his 3 year offer. To counter -we’ve offered ol permed hair another year -which he has accepted.
    It could be that he has a good season but equally he could have a poor one. The trend surely is for his play to regress if last season was anything to go by.
    Bit suspicious of him training -but no games over the summer, will be even more suspicious if he starts on Sunday.
    I think the club might rue their decision (jib – rue is anther word for regret and nothing to do with a contraction of the word kangaroo)

• 78 scottoon // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:31 PM

I know that Collo has had no minutes pre season, and Mbemba only 20 or so but I fully expect us to line up like this on Sunday….

…………Krul…………….

Janmaat….Mbemba…..Collo…….Haidara

………..Colback………Anita………..

Sissoko……….Gini…………Aarons

…………….Mitrovic…………..

Subs – Darlow, Lascelles, De Jong, Ayoze, Willo, Obertan, Cisse

• 79 toon kk // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:36 PM

I’m shocked at 43% actually think we can beat Southampton, wishful thinking I think. Let’s hope they are right. We still have the same shoddy defence we had last season, so what’s suddenly made them grow in quality???

The club will struggle to off load player’s, we’ve been run as a business for so long with this buy to sell scheme so there’s only a handful worth ooout.

• 80 hibbit // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:37 PM

scottoon ….i think it will be taylor / willo there the one’s with the shirt and the playing time

• 81 hibbit // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:40 PM

toon kk………and an awful lot worth nowt

• 82 scottoon // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:40 PM

hibbit – you may well be right, but I hope not. That would have the fans on McLaren’s back right quick. It will turn downright nasty when Southampton plunders us for a couple of first half goals.

• 83 check the toastie // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:44 PM

All folks backing boycotts and binning season tickets may think twice when we are brilliant on Sunday in front of a full house.

We have always had good players but they have been lost. Its time to welcome back Newcastle United to the Premier league.

Up The Toooonnnn….

• 84 hibbit // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:46 PM

scottoon our first 8 game would be hard for most clubs in the prem but with the added problems of our back 4 Mc could be in for a hard time if the fold in the first game

• 85 calvinzolamakongo // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:47 PM

Tooney in squad tomo

• 86 toon kk // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:51 PM

MA may have spent 35mil but some years he’s spent nowt, so he’s hardly broke the bank on average spend. He’ll be in for another shock along with a lot of fans going off them polls if quality defenders don’t come in.
    We’re still looking in the window for players with resale in mind, we need some experience expecially in defence.

• 87 overtheline // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:54 PM

I think Colo will play the first half – and maybe Taylor second half. Not a choice that can fill anybody with confidence.

• 88 Jib // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:54 PM

I’m watching Brighton v Forest mainly to see what Lewis Dunk is like.
    He’s very like Willo to be frank.
    Jeepers the standard of refereeing in the old fizzy pop is abysmal ( Tuffty that’s a long word for very bad )

• 89 Jib // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:56 PM

LuaLua has just scored – he does handsprings like his bro

• 90 hibbit // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:59 PM

check…who do think your trying to kid what has the club done to justify such a statement what makes you think things are going to be so much different then last season same back 4 same problems

• 91 will die for the toon army // Aug 7, 2015 at 8:59 PM

Am scouting Dunk.

• 92 will die for the toon army // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:06 PM

Chris Houghton’s football was high scoring but boring.

Fox I remember we were crazy abt singning him.

• 93 toon kk // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:10 PM

Check
    are you being serious, we’ve signed 3 players not a new squad, we were nearly relegated remember and beat by a league 2 side in pre season along with others.
    Same problems if you ask me.

• 94 Jib // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:11 PM

Danny Fox off

• 95 Jib // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:13 PM

toon kk
    Keep the posts coming not much whinging time left.
    When we start winning stuff will you disappear ?

• 96 thevirus // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:17 PM

MARTOON. League position 9th. Points 53. League cup quarters. F.A cup semis. First team signings 5. First team departures 4. Top goal scorer Mitrovic. Number of goals 17

• 97 SELondonFan // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:26 PM

Hi people!

I read this blog quite a bit, but never post.

I think i’m on the 9/930AM train from from Kings Cross.

Cheers!

Re-post, sorry!

• 98 martoon // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:27 PM

Evening guys – very busy day at work today so I haven’t had time to look at the blog but I’ve been through it tonight and I think I have logged everybody’s predictions. I now have predictions from:

martoon
    YouCouldn’tMakeItUp
    WWSBRD
    B1GSTEVE
    scottoon

Have I missed anybody?

• 99 martoon // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:28 PM

I noticed Tsunki wanted me – I don’t know if you’re around tonight mate?

• 100 toon kk // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:29 PM

Jib
    I’m not whinging mate, its called being realistic.
    I truly hope I’m proven wrong. Who knows a top quality cb may arrive and change things.
    One major flaw is we also have no game changers on our bench, especially when we get injuries. Take Aarons out where’s our real pace?

• 101 martoon // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:30 PM

Oops just spotted thevirus – I’ll add you 🙂

• 102 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:31 PM

JIB
    You certainly know a lot about what other people, who know a lot about football, know about football.

• 103 check the toastie // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:36 PM

Simple regards how we are going to be better, we now have a manager, strange if you don’t think it may help.

Nobs have coached the team for last five years, time to be optimistic, transfers of players are secondary to good coaching. See Adkins replaced by Poccotino, Gullit replaced by sir bobby, Allardyce replaced by King Kev, the improvement a team can muster by coaching is the key to progress.

Up The Toonnn

• 104 Thump // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:36 PM

Here you go, Martoon. I’ll throw my predictions into the ring.

League position: 13th
    Points: 47
    League Cup: Fifth round
    FA Cup: Fourth round
    First team signings: 4
    First team departures: 3
    Top goal scorer: Mitrovic
    Number of goals: 14

• 105 Jib // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:37 PM

Martoon
    Is the 1st prize £50 million ?

• 106 Thump // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:38 PM

@Jib: It’s a dinner with Obertan.

• 107 Jib // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:42 PM

Lewis Dunk got Skybet man of the match

• 108 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:45 PM

JIB
    You didn’t identify Dunk as man of the match. You identified him as very like Willo. See my comment at 102.

• 109 martoon // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:46 PM

Jib & Thump – No prize just the kudos of being the blog king 🙂 Actually I’ve contacted Ed and he is going to publish our predictions – hopefully.

• 110 Jib // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:46 PM

THUMP
    Imagine this across the table

• 111 doofa the loofa // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:48 PM

Jib
    Your problem not mine..

• 112 Jib // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:51 PM

Blackley
    I’m sure Willo would do well for Brighton and Hove Albion v Nottingham Forest also 😛

• 113 tooned in // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:52 PM

2-1 Southampton (hope I’m wrong) few missed chances and some sloppy defensive errors (story of pre season!)

• 114 SUTTY1978 // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:54 PM

League position: 12th
    Points: 44
    League Cup: Fifth round
    FA Cup: third round
    First team signings: 5
    First team departures: 2 more
    Top goal scorer: Rivière
    Number of goals: 21

• 115 Jib // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:56 PM

Sutty
    You have to put Martoon above yr selection

• 116 Thump // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:57 PM

I’d piss myself laughing if you turned out to be right, Sutty.

• 117 Sliema // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:57 PM

League position: 12th
    Points: 49
    League Cup: Fourth Round
    FA Cup: Sixth Round
    First team signings: 4 (in total)
    First team departures: 3
    Top goal scorer: Mitrovic
    Number of goals: 12

• 118 Sliema // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:58 PM

How can our business be done already? We seriously need a cb.

• 119 Jib // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:58 PM

Ian Holloway just asked Hughton about Lewis Dunk leaving and Chris was a bit evasive.

• 120 Thump // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:04 PM

@Jib: Is he looking at a Krabby Patty in that picture?

• 121 SUTTY1978 // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:04 PM

I have a good feeling about Riviera, he’s gonna come good, put your bets on it now!

• 122 SUTTY1978 // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:07 PM

Serge Gnabry to West Brom looks an interesting move, wouldn’t have minded him coming to us but not on loan unless witch an option to buy. Decent player, good pace and direct

• 123 SUTTY1978 // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:09 PM

JIB, Dunk is going to Fulham

• 124 beermonkey // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:13 PM

sutty

how do u know that

• 125 SUTTY1978 // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:14 PM

The best formation we have played in recentish years was 4312 under KK. Owen in the hole, Viduka as the hold up man one Oba running beyond. Would love us to buy a pacy striker alongside mitro and play that again. Required 2 good passers in midfield and one good tackler. How would you see that working with our current players?

• 126 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:16 PM

Martoon I’ve no idea. I think I just mentioned about sticking your name above the predictions . Like sutty there.

• 127 SUTTY1978 // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:17 PM

Beer, pretty much said so in the commentary on the game, said they had bid 5 mill

• 128 OneAlanShearer // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:17 PM

Willo plus 5 million for dunk please. Not because I’m that impressed with dunk but he has potential…something Willo doesn’t unless you put the word disaster after it.

• 129 matt11_25 // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:17 PM

Martoon –

Bit late to the party but here goes:

League Position 6th
    Number of Points – 63
    League Cup – quarters
    FA Cup – 4th round
    1st team signings – 6
    1st team departures – 5 (guti, raylor, abeid, others)
    Top Scorer – Wij
    Number of Goals – 13

• 130 SUTTY1978 // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:18 PM

Martin

League position: 12th
    Points: 44
    League Cup: Fifth round
    FA Cup: third round
    First team signings: 5
    First team departures: 2 more
    Top goal scorer: Rivière
    Number of goals: 21

• 131 Jib // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:18 PM

At least it’s not a Wonga shirt

• 132 SUTTY1978 // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:19 PM

FA Cup: 3rd round
    First team signings: 5
    First team departures: 3
    Top goal scorer: Mitrovic
    Number of goals: 11

• 135 NezzaNUFC // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:21 PM

Predictions against Southampton I would say we will lose 3-1 with Colback getting on the scoresheet for us first.

• 136 NezzaNUFC // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:24 PM

League position: 1st
    Points: 97
    League Cup: winner
    FA Cup: winner
    First team signings: 3
    First team departures: 0
    Top goal scorer: Obertan
    Number of goals: 32

If Carlsberg did miracles!

• 137 Shot Bru // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:24 PM

3-2 to Southampton…De Jong and Mitrovic

• 138 philippealbert // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:27 PM

Martoon!

League position: 10th
    Points: 49
    League Cup: Quarter Finals
    FA Cup: 4th Round
    First team signings: 4
    First team departures: 0
    Top goal scorer: Mitrovic
    Number of goals: 11

• 139 Thump // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:27 PM

@Nezza: Have you been looking at my FM team, mate?

• 140 SUTTY1978 // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:27 PM

I’ve said a few times already, we will not score this weekend. Team is set up to defend. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss

• 141 NezzaNUFC // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:28 PM

Thump

LOL

• 142 NezzaNUFC // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:30 PM

My nephew goes on FM base with the same name as mine, he quite a tactic creator as well.

• 143 beermonkey // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:30 PM

sutty

cheers I didn’t watch the match

if we bought him we would have to loan him out he is not what we need right now

• 144 Jib // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:32 PM

According to the Italian press Inter Milan and Newcastle have both tabled offers for Michael Carrick , however Ed Woodward the Red Devils CEO was told by LvG that he needs him next season.

• 145 SUTTY1978 // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:36 PM

Beer’ he looked decent enough just pretty average championship defender, he’s fit in well!

• 146 shearer4pm // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:42 PM

League cup qf
    Fa cup 4th round
    Top scorer mitrovic
    Goals 15

• 148 beermonkey // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:42 PM

sutty

I don’t think were after him we have lescheles who needs game time
    mbemba I think will be used as soon as he is fit and worked with the team
    think the league cup is sept so I expect leschelles to make his debut then

shame we haven’t bought in an experienced 25 year old looks like we will have to wait till next summer to sort out the worst defence in the league

• 149 SUTTY1978 // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:44 PM

If Aarons stayed fit all season could see him getting more goals than most pepole are predicting for Mitro. He’s probably our most consistent player. Always does well when he’s on the pitch, unfortunately that wasn’t enough last season.

• 150 beermonkey // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:48 PM

sutty

I think he was handled wrong last season
    listening to McLaren he has a plan for him lots of mins of the bench then starts from around dec time

• 151 SUTTY1978 // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:51 PM

Beer, McLoven said weeks ago that there was a plan for the next three windows and after that we would have a team capable of competing. We kind of all hoped he was taking the piss and everything that we needed would be brought in now!
    Would be great to get a ready made experienced player in at CB but as you know we go for potential over credentials.
    Lascelles in my view is a bit cumbersome and doesn’t have great positioning skills. Takes time though, most CB’s aren’t any good until mid 20’s.

• 152 NezzaNUFC // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:53 PM

Any predictions for the bottom 3?

I’ll go for

Palace
    Sunderland
    Watford

• 153 SUTTY1978 // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:00 PM

Nezza, Cocky Pardew to go down with “his signings”. Yes please

• 154 NezzaNUFC // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:00 PM

Pardew’s ego will relegate Palace no matter who they bring in. He will enforce a direct style ( hoofball ) to the squad, why else would they sign Connor Wickam?

Sunderland have a poor squad and IMO a poor manager, they may see another sacking before January.

Watford IMO ain’t prepared yet and there squad are also weak, they will have a fighting spirit to try to stay up but it won’t happen with the squad they got now.

• 155 NezzaNUFC // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:02 PM

SUTTY1978

It will probably happen with Palace and Pardew, Palace fans will turn on him before December IMO, last season he lost 3 or 4 games in a row and Palace fans started to see his ways.

• 156 NezzaNUFC // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:04 PM

And I don’t like the fact Palace fans are turning on us because of the way we turned on him IMO they deserve to go down and when that time comes lets see who will have the last laugh.

• 157 beermonkey // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:04 PM

sutty

I think I have seen leschelles once maybe but I know he is well thought of in the international teams and has trained with the England first team

I didn’t think he was taking the pi55 but what we haven’t done is addressed decent rb cover and like we said a decent experienced centre back
    not to happy with colo staying but if he is committed then it makes a bit of sense keeping him about

as fans we see what we need but McLaren will see it different I hope we plug some holes in jan if we don’t buy any more

• 158 SUTTY1978 // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:08 PM

Yes, his honeymoon period was actually quite short, only really saved by beating the scousers after a number of defeats on the bounce. Basically a similar run to what he usually had at the Toon. Good thing is he’s already believing his own hype at the start of the season so he should be off to A nice run of defeats. Really is a smarmy shit. Just wish he’d taken Colo as that would have assured they would concede more than us!

• 159 lesh // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:10 PM

One thing’s for sure, Colbeck’ll be delighted that Colo’s the focus of attention tonight!

Why oh why do some posters have to have it in for certain players?

Yesterday it was Colbeck, today Coloccini… who’s next?

• 160 martoon // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:16 PM

Unplugged toon @47 – You need
    No of 1st team signings this season
    No of 1st team leaving this season

• 161 martoon // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:16 PM

*147

• 162 SUTTY1978 // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:19 PM

Beer, I think most people will be happy with one more in this summer and maybe a couple more in Jan. anyone thinking we are after Austin is nuts. It was obvious we had three targets for a single striking position to bring in. Bas Dost, Austin or Mitro. We went with Mitro. Best choice I think. Just really want something to be interested in regarding the transfer market through August. Would love a deadline day splurge for once instead of the doors being closed
    Seen Lascelles a fair bit, live in Derby and my work mates are split between Derby and Forest. He’s just raw, certainly not ready to drop into the premier league yet, he’s well behind Dummett in exp. and quality but physically he’s a beast, eith the right coaching he could be good but will be 2 years IMO.

• 163 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:22 PM

Funny colo being here 9 years, captain for most of them, yet he’s hardly revered. Funny that.

• 164 Belfast // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:23 PM