The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Not Many Clubs Have The Potential Of Newcastle United

11:32 pm, Friday, August 7th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 87 Comments

Steve McClaren will make his Premier League debut on Sunday for Newcastle when we entertain a good Southampton side at St. James’ Park and hopefully can get the season underway with a win.

On the BBC Radio Newcastle call-in show earlier this week he said there would never be a  job as tough as the England job was, when McClaren went through hell and high water for 16 months, before he was fired after he failed to get England to the finals of Euro 2008.

steve mcclaren

Steve McClaren – mot many clubs as big as Newcastle

Steve recovered at FC Twente in Holland where he managed for two seasons and took them to their first and only Dutch Championship – so he has been rebuilding his career since the England calamity.

The job Steve has now is to try to win something at Newcastle United for the first time in what would be 47 years if we happened to win something next year.

This is what Steve has said on the eve of his first competitive match as head coach of Newcastle United:

“This is it – it is Newcastle United,” “You want to come back in the Premier League, and if you want to pick a club, there are not many as big as Newcastle United in terms of potential.”

“Wherever you go, you want to make it work. That’s the difference.” “Before, it was drive and ambition and everything, now it is ‘let’s do the job’. That is what I want to do.

“Wherever I have been since Middlesbrough and England, I have said ‘that’s it – I just want to do the job here, and not have ambitions for anywhere else’, and so I am here.”

“I’m totally different,” “How? I don’t really know, but I’m totally different – purely through all the experiences.”

“I have had lots of highs and lots of peaks and lots of troughs, and I want to make this another peak … to come back and use all the experiences that I have been through.”

“You are coming back into a Premier League pretty much the same as it was before – full of foreign managers and foreign players – and I think my experience working abroad as helped me with those relationships as well.”

Steve’s strengths are in his coaching on the practice field and he also appears to be an excellent man-manager,  who has assembled what looks to be an excellent coaching staff on Tyneside.

We are hoping that Newcastle will be able to do well this season, and that would mean finishing in the top eight in the Premier League,  and having one or even two long cup runs in the FA Cup and League Cup.

And who knows we could even win one of those.

That would be something.

That would really be something.

Tags: Coaching · Pre-season · Premier League · Press Conference

87 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:35 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:36 PM

1st, Belfast, 1st.

• 3 Belfast // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:36 PM

Tsunki out!

• 4 Belfast // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:36 PM

Attack Toon Attack Attack!

• 5 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:37 PM

Himanshu Dhingra would be proud.

• 6 overtheline // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:38 PM

Ashley OOT
    Belfast OOT
    Tsunki OOT
    WUMs OOT

• 7 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:38 PM

Aye it’s the graveyard shift.

• 8 Belfast // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:39 PM

Where did he actually disappearer too?

• 9 Belfast // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:40 PM

• 10 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:41 PM

He went up twitter land I thought

• 11 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:42 PM

He lost his calling when Shola left. Shame really. Mojo gone.

• 12 Belfast // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:43 PM

Traitor! It’s a slippery slope when you defect to twitterland.

• 13 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:44 PM

Another 15 minutes or so it will only be one sleep left.

• 14 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:44 PM

Nobody seems to mention goalkeeper being a problem. It is for me. I think we’re weak in what is a key position.

• 15 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:45 PM

Everyone who knows they know live there Belfast. Probably why I never cut the mustard there 🙂

• 16 doofa the loofa // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:46 PM

The grass is too long btw.. 🙁

• 17 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:46 PM

Blackley you’re kidding right? You leave it to now to tell us? Great. Anyone got Steves mobile?

• 18 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:49 PM

Aye one defeat and a ‘ leaves on the line’ excuse and Stevie will go down Pardew Street. Not long now to see if we’ve just bought the new model Cortina. Same as the old one but with square headlights.

• 19 Belfast // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:49 PM

Me neither. I would probably rejoin if they renamed it bullshitter.

• 20 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:50 PM

We was tired because the fans made us play in the Europa on long grass with the kids. Hmm. That doesn’t pan well…

• 21 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:52 PM

Oh well speaking of such Belfast, we’re probably scaring the night owls from the colonies away again. Time to retire I think. Dream happy thoughts.

• 22 Liverpool Mag // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:52 PM

An uncomfortable bowel movement for Ashley!

• 23 Liverpool Mag // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:52 PM

Did I do it right, guys?

• 24 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:54 PM

Liverpool it’s a work in progress but a creditable attempt.

• 25 scout // Aug 8, 2015 at 12:04 AM

Whoever says Ashley out i can’t understand your mentality? What would you like complete team change?
    If we sign 3 like that every time we are Champions league material in 2 years

• 26 Mister Tuff // Aug 8, 2015 at 12:08 AM

Ashey ………………….OOT …er no…………
    Mr Tubbs ………………………………..OOT

• 27 terencelim // Aug 8, 2015 at 1:12 AM

@scout, too soon to judge. You never learn.

• 28 jimmysmith // Aug 8, 2015 at 1:19 AM

It’s not just 3 good players, its also a whole new coaching team, added to a similar close season last year. Assuming this is now our approach after years of relative austerity, we have every reason to feel optimistic that we are going to compete on all fronts and play more watchable stuff.

• 29 Spellcheck // Aug 8, 2015 at 1:28 AM

Tsunki, Himamshu Dhingra, well remembered. Where did the ‘Dynamite on the old 1st comment’ disappear to? So hopeful, optimistic also about this season, bring it on. Where’s Beattie?????

• 30 jimmysmith // Aug 8, 2015 at 1:51 AM

That decision to sell Santon was rubbish though. Why sell a player of that calibre because of a falling out with a proxy first team coach as poor as John Carver proved to be. Makes you think if Caver hadn’t been so bereft, he WOULD have been given the job, in which case there would have been far less cause for optimism. Slow burn toward a limp fizzle. I’m positive, but I suspect all this is not entirely a result of design, but as much a result of circumstance and fan power. Still got to keep the bastards honest.

• 31 Magpie Season // Aug 8, 2015 at 3:20 AM

Mane & Pelle both scored against Vitesse.
    Only benefit for us is they played their full strength team.

• 32 Magpie Season // Aug 8, 2015 at 3:22 AM

Santon was on high wages. And by high for us I mean excess of 50k.

I think the board saw that Dummet & Haidara were capable of playing in that position & both their wages combined did not equate to Santons.

But you’re right. They only look at numbers. Santon was captain of the Italy Under-21s. Never should have been let go & had potential.

• 33 Magpie Season // Aug 8, 2015 at 3:23 AM

Anyone know the details of Colo’s new contract? Is he still on 80k or has it been reduced/increased?

• 34 Magpie Season // Aug 8, 2015 at 3:24 AM

If we lose this will not be a good weekend with England regaining the Ashes & all.

• 35 expatmag // Aug 8, 2015 at 3:41 AM

With the players available, I think a very good line up would be 3421

Lascelles, Mbembe, Dummett

Janmaat, Sissoko, Tiote, Aarons

De Jong, Wijnaldum

• 36 will die for the toon army // Aug 8, 2015 at 4:27 AM

You replace Lascelles with Colo and thats a very good team an set up.
    …………………………De Jong

• 37 nut meg // Aug 8, 2015 at 4:52 AM

I’m sure someone mentioned a week or two ago that SM doesn’t like to play 3 at the back. Dummett & Tiote are still recovering from injury. SM is concerned about Mbemba and Mitrovic fitness to start the game.

• 38 cyprus // Aug 8, 2015 at 5:08 AM

PL’s biggest spenders, and this is our biggest spend window in the history of the club.

Of course, the question is how far behind have we been left? How many top 6 players do we now have on our books? How can we cope with injuries?

The answers to these questions have not been given yet, we’ll soon find out.

Still, we now make our luck, Ashley said. If he means it, we’ll soon be watching CL football, with NUFC involved.

• 39 will die for the toon army // Aug 8, 2015 at 5:19 AM

Harry Rednapp said we hve a good squad but jst want to under achieve. Our squad is very good on paper now the rest falls on Mcclaren and his staff.

All the signings are better than wat we had last season.

• 40 Jamseyd24 // Aug 8, 2015 at 5:33 AM

God i hope Palace have a shit season, cant stand reading about Pardew in the press.

• 41 check the toastie // Aug 8, 2015 at 6:41 AM

Who’s more jammed up his own arse, Tim Sherwood or Alan Parsnip.

Tough call. Both Awful characters, Villa and Palace to go down, perfect.

Favorite manager in league currently, Garry Monk, honest and clever. Apart from Steve of course…

• 42 Oldgit1 // Aug 8, 2015 at 6:42 AM

A club with potential a sleeping giant, I have heard it all before. Now waiting foe the five year plan.

Only Keegan and SBR knew what this club was all about. Since Ashley took over we are a little club with no ambition.

Do supporters not know by now that the 3 players bought will be sold in 12 months time. Along with Perez, winning a cup, you are having a laugh. There is a mindset at this club which will not change and I for one will not renew my ST. Or buy anything related to this club.

• 43 JDdubai // Aug 8, 2015 at 6:47 AM

At what point will Pardew stop appearing on our Newsnow page??

The more he says the more he is creating a bigger rivalry between us, think the atmosphere for the home game with them will be close to the Mackems game.

Would be nice is Ashley was getting pissed off with PArdew’s comments too and decides to let us spend even more to rub it is his face.

• 44 nut meg // Aug 8, 2015 at 6:57 AM

Cabaye’s starting now.

• 45 will die for the toon army // Aug 8, 2015 at 7:11 AM

u r entitled to your choice mate. I for one will support the club thru thick and thin. All we can do is hope. Sir Hall and Shepherd punched above their heights and had got us bank rupt. It was good times I recon but no hope. Look at wat is happening at Spurs u put in too much and get nothing abt it.

Am not a Pro-Ashely but I see wat he is trying ti do. He has to jst get Coaches and Players who understand wat is going on. We are no longer a top club and its something I understand now.

When I look at it we have so many highs to have hope and I will cling on that.

1. 52,000 stadium and a proposed better training ground.
    2. A billionare owner that means we can never run bank rupt he has shown to help us wen we
    Have no money u saw wat he did with e loan and championship.
    3. Football board which is full of football people
    4. Financially stable I can never think of administration.
    5. Fan base in UK. Worldwide not sure we still have to build our brand more.

Now we r looking to build a t

• 46 JAMSHA // Aug 8, 2015 at 7:15 AM

Himamshu Dhingra is very proud of u… an his watchn u

• 47 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 8, 2015 at 7:16 AM

Will die,
    Shepherd and Hall didn’t leave us bankrupt in the slightest, they left us in less debt then we currently have.

Also, Spurs are the lowest net spenders in the Premier league over the last 5 seasons.

• 48 will die for the toon army // Aug 8, 2015 at 7:19 AM

We now jst have to build a team with current coaching stuff making our luck. Mcclaren said 3 windows we will b competing with the best I will wait for that. We are below the top 6. We might have e players on paper but we are so not a top team and I believe it is to do with organization and administration.

I stress we have no team no playing style no players to look up to no team spirit we have to pull together for 3 or more yrs. You guys who think can do it over night make me sick.

• 49 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 8, 2015 at 7:19 AM

Sissoko to sign new contract

• 50 will die for the toon army // Aug 8, 2015 at 7:24 AM

Lilongwe Geordie

I get wat u r saying am a credit manager and e worst thing is having a loan like we had without having e end product out of it. £130m is alot of money.

Spurs yes they r covered by Berbarov Bale and those big sellings they have done but still they reinvest it into e team and hope for better. Same as liverpool still it doesn’t work out. No movement at e end of day u become a selling club. NUFC is a big example of that in our era put Shearer a side. All our big names left.

• 51 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 8, 2015 at 7:31 AM

Will Die,
    Virtually every club is a selling club. Even Manchester United couldn’t hold on to Ronaldo. There are only a handful of clubs that are above that, and Mourinho alluded to it recently when he talked of Barca, Real and Bayern.

I don’t think anyone expects anything to click overnight, but there still needs to be more work done with the squad to really say we are making our own luck.

• 52 geordiemark // Aug 8, 2015 at 7:32 AM

new season new manager couple of new players see what happens, we have to give the manager time to sort the shambles that was left when carver done one and lets not forget about parsnip, I don’t really think cabaye is doing himself any favours by having a go really, it was him who went on strike to force a move to arsenal as I recall not the club, I think players have far to much to say and they should shut up and do there job that there well paid to do its simple as that

Southampton tomorrow I don’t know to be honest ill just watch it see what happens

• 53 Belfast // Aug 8, 2015 at 7:35 AM

That would be another stupid call giving Sissoko a new deal.

Basically he doesn’t deserve it, and neither did Coloccini.

He’ll probably sign a new contract, and then talk to the French press a week later about a dream move elsewhere.

• 54 sing in the corner // Aug 8, 2015 at 7:36 AM

On Sissoko / new contract
    Ha ha he must have run out of clubs to bat his eyelashes at the globe over then?

• 55 sing in the corner // Aug 8, 2015 at 7:41 AM

I definitely didn’t want to see Colo stay, even more definitely not as captain. But now its done we need to get behind him and hope for the best…it’ll be interesting to see now that we set up differently wether SM can get a tune out of him. I’ll be impressed if he does like…Colo has been declining for at least 2 years.
    Also wonder who among the players from previous set ups will emerge as the most improved player under SM?

• 56 will die for the toon army // Aug 8, 2015 at 7:47 AM

Colo and Sissoko are our best players and if giving them new contracts is a bad thing then wat shld Mcclaren do to impress u fans of NUFC.

Look at their stats then start complaining. No other manager says we have a bad team but say we have to wake up.

• 57 Ron Knee // Aug 8, 2015 at 7:48 AM

It’s interesting how McClaren has now become the focus of all the transfer stories. Charmless seems to have faded into the background.
    For me, McClaren is currently winning 3-2: 3 plus points for Mbemba, Mitro and GW and 2 minus points for Coloccini and Sissoko – if the latest story is true.

• 58 will die for the toon army // Aug 8, 2015 at 7:51 AM

Pique had a poor season e season before but had a better one last season. Form deepens and arises often.

• 59 JDdubai // Aug 8, 2015 at 7:56 AM

Will die

Sissoko has openly been talking to the media to talk up a number of moves to get the hell out of our club, Arsenal, PSG, Chelsea etc.

the only reason he is still here right now is because nobody wanted him, he himself tried to get away from us.

And now we reward this behaviour by giving a new contract???

Yeah moussa, we know you want out of here and have tried to whore yourself around clubs this summer, but we will actually give you a new contract because no one else wanted you…genius.

After the way he has behaved, and i make no mention of his spineless efforts from Jan-May, he should earn his new contract this season by his performances and attitude.

• 60 Ron Knee // Aug 8, 2015 at 7:59 AM

You’re right. Poor attitude from Coloccini and Sissoko to be rewarded with new contracts. Baffling!

• 61 will die for the toon army // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:07 AM

After last season I wld also want to leave and market myself out of the team but now things are moving better.

Look at Suarez and wat came out of him staying. Top scorer such stuff happens this is football and all players are hoes either silent or loud. Are u all sure that Carroll didn’t want to go to Liverpool and get 85k a week. All saying he was forced out. Pliz

• 62 toon kk // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:09 AM

We were so poor last season, so how many premier league clubs will actually want any of our players? Just Pards, because of the bond they might have.

• 63 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:13 AM

Austin odds on to join Everton now!!!

• 64 will die for the toon army // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:14 AM

Ed here is another Austin story to write abt.

• 65 firebug666 // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:15 AM

I think Coloccini will be kept more for his attitude off the field rather than for his ability on the field.

Apparently the other players love him, and he is an inspiration for them (not my words), he helps with team bonding etc, he invites the lads to BBQ’s at his house.

One can only think “lock up your wives” Collo is staying.

Maybe the lad has shown something in training that he forgot to bring to the pitch in the last couple of seasons.

I truly thought that he would be off this summer, one thing is for certain, if Williamson & Taylor get offered new deals I will be off.

Looking forward to seeing a performance tomorrow against Southampton, still think we will get beat (just) but I want to see good football, played with pride and passion, it’s not too much to ask for; is it?

• 66 JDdubai // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:16 AM

Will die

But to raise Sissoko’s wage after doing this? He still has 4 years left on his contract, so why reward this public behaviour with an increase?

What example is this for Perez and Aarons etc?

Basically its ok to try to manufacture a move away from the club, and to do it publicly and basically sticking 2 fingers up to the fans, and even if no club comes in for you then Newcastle will increase your salary anyway if you have to stay..

Great plan.

• 67 Belfast // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:16 AM

Austin article definitely coming next

• 68 Tsunki // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:19 AM

Jamsha – er ok. I don’t know if that should worry me or not :). Indian Mag should post here for old times sake I think. I’d like to know what he thinks is going on now.

And Beattie – are you here under another guise or just stalking us like a blog sentinel?

• 69 Tsunki // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:20 AM

Will due – well thanks very much that’s today’s Austin story lined up. Cheers. 🙁

• 70 Tsunki // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:23 AM

Will die… I meant.

Pay rises? PAY RISES? What is this place? A clearing bank? How can any of last season’s mob ask for a pay rise? And get one? I’d love to know what’s going on in Mike’s head.

• 71 Bambams // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:25 AM

I have to be honest I would love Sissoko to sign another contract.

I know he hasn’t done it enough over last couple of seasons but this fella will be awesome in a team that plays on the front foot.

Fellas our set up under Pardew was two walls of four…..Do not get beat and hope to counter !

I keep mentioning ‘NO PENALTIES’ last season, you have to be in their box to get a penalty!

I genuinely think Sissoko could be our Viera eventually. He has everything.
    McLaren is growing on me all the time, maybe it’s because I want to be hopeful – glass half full rather than half empty.

Let’s give them 8-10 games and see how we play.

Might change my name ‘Hopeful Bambam’…..

8-10 games, let’s see

• 72 sing in the corner // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:25 AM

JD @ 59

Couldn’t have put it better myself.
    Sissoko’s heart hasn’t seemed in it and he’s been very open in his desire to go elsewhere. Obviously short of offers and a dose of reality needed for him now. He’s just not as good as he thinks he is.. or at least hasn’t shown his ability often enough or he would have been snapped up

• 73 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:25 AM

Can we really blame our players for wanting to leave or finding it hard to be motivated?

…if I was a big player at Newcastle I would be looking at getting out of that place as well! Careers are ruined there!

Hope we’ll see a change now 🙂 both from the club and the players.

• 74 Tsunki // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:27 AM

We could start odds on the following articles coming out before the window shuts –

De Jong long term injury
    Taylor long term injury
    Old boy speaks about lack of ambition
    Old boy speaks about bright future ahead

Get all of them there should be a prize.

• 75 cole the goal // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:27 AM

Sing in the corner – couldn’t ha e put it better myself, typical frenchy, play when they want

• 76 will die for the toon army // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:28 AM

Do you guys listen to Mcclaren we r building a team around Sissoko. And looking at his stats they r not bad he creates chances for his teammates and has alot of forward runs jst go and compare his stats to other players. You will see.

• 77 Spellcheck // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:28 AM

No brolly this season Steve please.

• 78 Tsunki // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:30 AM

Put a lid on it hopeful Bambi ha ha. I tell you what, if Steve and his team can unstrap that housebrick sissoko has on each foot and give him a decent touch, I might go so far along that road with you.

• 79 Small World // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:31 AM

“Tsunki // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:19 AM

Southampton tickets AND season tickets still for sale, eh? They’re just not shifting, are they? ”

Yep, they’re struggling. Currently looks like 51,000 there’s for the Southampton game

However checking out availability of Arsenal tickets you can see how many season tickets are down. You can still get a seat anywhere

• 80 will die for the toon army // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:32 AM

You are forgeting Pardew talks abt NUFC poor administration.

• 81 Tsunki // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:32 AM

Spell check I don’t think he’s owned a brolly for some years now. Shame really, I don’t think he suits hats. Anyway he’d probably get called the Tw*t in the Hat if he slips up on a rainy encounter.

• 82 beermonkey // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:32 AM

morning hows ur young one getting on

I agree with you the way the club has been run and then on top of that the training and style of play under pards and carver
    the club are going to go for cups and we now have McLaren and co on the field changes the players seem to be excited by training
    I am not surprised some want to stay

• 83 cole the goal // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:32 AM

Sissoko got 3 goals and 3 assist last season, that is shite. He is good player no doubt but well overrated in my opinion. Only way he beats a man is with a nut Meg, top defenders will have him Sussed

• 84 Tsunki // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:33 AM

Oh yes

Pardew blames nufc for (choose a stupid thing he did)

Thanks will die 🙂

• 85 sweendog // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:34 AM

Newcastle season preview

• 86 Slank // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:34 AM

What the fans see on the pitch of Colo and perhaps some others and what the players themselves and the coaches see can be the completely different.

By all accounts Colo is highly respected by the players, coaching staff and management of the club.

Some captains shout and yell a lot whilst others do things differently. Bobby Moore was quiet but had the total respect of the players at West Ham and England.

I believe Nolan was very vocal but he was part of a British clique of players that caused divisions in the dressing room with the other players.

• 87 Tsunki // Aug 8, 2015 at 8:36 AM

Small world – I would have thought the opener would have sold out long ago. It will still be a good turn out, but if results go badly, this could be a sorry year, and mike won’t have the traditional style base to fall back on. As it is, theyve not managed to rake in that crucial advance revenue.

I hope results go well. I’d love to have a good reason to get my seat in the Gallowgate back.

previous post: This Man Could Be Surprise Selection Against Southampton