The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Palace Offer Colo Three Year Deal – But He Stays On Tyneside

9:25 am, Friday, August 7th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 25 Comments

Alan Pardew and Crystal Palace issued a statement yesterday saying that Fabricio Coloccini was not a target of the London club, and that could have been true when it was issued, because Colo had just been given a one year contract extension at Newcastle, but it seems that Palace were definitely after him this summer.

And that’s the reason he has been unsettled during pre-season.

steve mcclaren fab coloccini

Steve McClaren and Fab Coloccini – new deal

McClaren and the Argentine had long talks and Steve will have been told about the unofficial approaches to Colo, and it looks like Palace and Alan Pardew were willing to offer him a three year deal – and that would have Colo playing until he was 36.

Steve McClaren has been blunt and said Colo was distracted by another club wanting him, and that they shouldn’t now deny they were after him.

That’s a thinly veiled reference to Crystal Palace.

This is what McClaren has said today about the Colo saga:

“He has been captain here for seven years. “It went beyond speculation. “Although people deny it, the interest is a fact – do not deny it, it is a fact.”

“’That’s affected Colo in terms of there is somebody out there offering him a three-year contract. I think it was a distraction.’”

“We went along with it and had to make a decision – I asked a lot of people in the squad, the senior players, and to a man they said they wanted Colo in the team.”

“They respect him as a player, man and captain. From then on it was a case of sitting down and saying, ‘We want you to stay’.

“From day one he has said to me that he wanted to finish his career at Newcastle but there were three or four opportunities that he had.

“As always in these decisions we had to make a statement and the club has done that – Colo is back on board.”

“Coloccini hasn’t played a game in the pre season friendlies, but he has trained more or less every day in pre season.”

Signing Colo to another year was key and it’s hard to fault him if Palace and maybe even some other clubs were offering him a three year deal.

But that issue has now been put to bed – at last – and maybe Colo will even start for us on Sunday against Southampton.

That wouldn’t be too much of a surprise now that we know what exactly has been going on.

What do you think?

Note: Two brothers Phil and Richard Milbourne are on a mission to cycle to all 92 Premier and Football League grounds in England and Wales during four weeks in July and August 2015.

It’s all on behalf of charity and they are raising money for Breast Cancer Care and the British Liver Trust.

They will be in Newcastle today – so see if you can help out a very good cause – you can read about their exploits and denote on their website pedalforpounds here.

Tags: Contracts · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Premier League · Press Conference · Transfer News and Rumours

25 responses so far ↓

• 1 WWSBRD // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:33 AM

Really? I think the club has always been operating without the managers say so on transfers while Ashley has been in

• 2 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:35 AM

I dunno it’s just my opinion but I will say it looks like McClaren is trusted and has control of transfers

• 3 ShirebrookToon // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:36 AM

Think that spiel from pardew is just jealousy as curly colo turned him down and Macca has more of a say on transfers than pardspew ever did. Good luck keeping palace up 🙂

• 4 WWSBRD // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Hmm not sure I am on board with that mate haha I think McClaren has slightly more input but realistically not much has changed

• 5 WWSBRD // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:40 AM

So he should of just kept quiet about his time at NUFC and the circumstances he worked under?

• 6 Jib // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Chancel is right
    You are wrong
    Wijnaldum is a pure Macca signing

• 7 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:43 AM

Ashley Out!

• 8 one fine day // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:45 AM

Never has a picture said simply ” hair envy “more
    Been on me Molly’s lads hope all is well.
    How is toon from Leeds ? Anyone heard ?
    Has anyone broke the news to toonbrother/smartest guy in the room about colo yet?

• 9 WWSBRD // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:46 AM

Good argument there lad, well thought out with incredible proof that no one can argue with…if Ed gave out stars on this blog my word ur fridge would be covered

• 10 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:46 AM

I am TFL, I lost my details when upgrading to Win 10

• 11 one fine day // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:46 AM

Molly’s … Jollys. … Vacation

• 12 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:47 AM

I am not saying you are wrong I just gave my opinion, only people who truly know are the higher echelons at NUFC

• 13 ShirebrookToon // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:50 AM

Didn’t say he should of kept quiet but it’s a bit late comin out with all this now don’t you think

• 14 one fine day // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:50 AM

Ahh ok just catching up
    Just recall you weren’t to clever a few weeks back hope yor on the mend.
    Now had you been posting links to that nufc digest site I’d have picked that 🙂

• 15 Jib // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:53 AM

Two days after SM signed I posted an article from a Dutch paper that said PSV had valued Wijnaldum at €21million and McClaren who had tried to sign him before , had told NUFC he was worth it and not to haggle and pay it.

• 16 beermonkey // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:54 AM

I think most would agree that carr and the club bought players not suited to pards style of play
    have to say never saw the point of it myself
    but McLaren and carr seem to be on the same page
    is McLaren getting who he wants
    I am sure McLaren is banging the board room table wanting a defender will he get one prob not

• 17 WWSBRD // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Haha no mate Jib says am wrong…are u Jib as well?!?! Cracked it lads….multi accounts everywhere!!

(Its sad that I feel the need to make it clear this is a joke but hey ho, its a joke)

U might be right mate but until we sign a player that doesnt fit in with the standard NUFC transfer policy that is ever so flawed then I dont see any change

• 18 banjax // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Do the sums. They reckon Colo is one of the highest paid Newcastleplayers at £60k per week and his one year extension gives him a total of two years left at our club. By contrast Crystal Palace wage bar is around £40k and I doubt he would have been offered that – more like £35k. So loyalty aside on cold hard figures, Colo is better off with Newcastle United. Be we knew that anyway !

• 19 Liverpool Mag // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:56 AM

It is really good that you’re back, we were all worried about you. I also agree with you, that McClaren does seem to have more pull than Pardew but that’s not surprising as yet again he has been caught out for being a slimy lying sort.

• 20 the broons // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:57 AM

you still watching premier league years? manu game where we done them 3 nowt just been on.

• 21 WWSBRD // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:00 AM

Well he was asked a question and answered it, am not that fussed by it is all he just confirmed what we all knew

• 22 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:00 AM

NUFC had been interested in Wijinaldum for a long time. Mbemba’s agent said we had been tracking him and Mitrovic since before Christmas. McClaren may have some input, but it is clear these were already club targets as well.

• 23 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Crystal Palace wage bar is £40k? Cabaye is on £100k according to most reports.

• 24 Moonraker15 // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:34 AM

Palace will struggle this year! They always do; and just cos they’ve got more money means nothing cos all the cluck have!

Once Cabaye loses interest and gets an “injury” they have very little and Pardew’s policy of hitting opponents on the break will have been found out!

I can’t wait to see that smug look knocked off his face!

• 25 Moonraker15 // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:38 AM