The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew Reveals Why He Left Newcastle – It’s Not Surprising

9:56 am, Friday, August 7th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 42 Comments

Alan Pardew has given a long interview with the Telegraph today, and in it he explains exactly why he left Newcastle, and it’s hardly surprising what he says.

Alan didn’t have the control on transfers that he wanted, and Newcastle would sign players for their own purposes – in terms of it being a good buy for the club — because the player could appreciate in value and that would be a good financial proposition for the club.

Alan Pardew Tottenham 2-1HEl

Alan Pardew – while at Newcastle

But Alan wanted players who could immediately fit into his first eleven – players that could make an  immediate difference in the Newcastle side.

There had been rumors that Graham Carr and Alan didn’t always see eye to eye on transfers, and that seems to have been the case.

This is how Alan explained his time at the club , although he does make it clear that he was told how the club would operate before he signed on.

“The agenda. I didn’t want the agenda I had. I wanted a different one.¨ “The one thing that is different at Crystal Palace is that I have full control of transfers.¨

¨I’ve not had that before and actually not many managers in the Premier League have it. The Chairman and I have no one between us and we discuss things every day.¨

“That was something that was important to me after Newcastle, because there were players who went in there who were for the club’s purposes, and not for my first eleven purposes.¨

“That’s frustrating, especially after I had such a great start. When you have a way of playing and there’s a player you have to take,  who’s a better financial proposition than one who fits better then that’s tough.¨

“Some clubs have different agendas. You are the manager there but you are there to coach the team. The philosophy is set by a Sporting Director – you have that at Seville, successful clubs, and maybe Manchester City are like that with Pellegrini.¨

“I don’t have a problem with that. I didn’t have a problem with it at Newcastle – that was the agenda and it was explained to me when I went there. But as a manager I prefer this agenda.”

“At Newcastle it had got to a point where it was very difficult for me. We had just beaten Everton, we were ninth in the division and were unpopular.¨

“I had taken this team into the quarter-finals of the Europa League, OK we had a down year and some dodgy moments after we sold a couple of players, but I just thought, ‘You know this is not going anywhere now. I need a new challenge’.”

“Maybe my enthusiasm was in danger of dipping and that is something I am really on my guard about. But was I really giving myself the best possible chance?

Sometimes you need a new belief, a new challenge. And I thought, ‘You know what, Palace is what I need’.”

So in short Alan left because he would have more control at Palace, and he talks regularly with the man in charge of the finances at the club – Chairman Steve Parish.

The explains why he was willing to leave a big club like Newcastle and manage a smaller one – because he would be given more opportunity to be successful at Crystal Palace.

Getting players in like Ivan Toney is not a bad thing, he’s one for the future – but you can also overdo it – and there’s got to be a balance.

The interesting thing is since Alan has left we have signed three top players who will be immediate first team starters and have an impact on the side.

So maybe, just maybe, Mike Ashley has learned that running a football club too much like an ordinary business, just doesn’t work.

Note: Two brothers Phil and Richard Milbourne are on a mission to cycle to all 92 Premier and Football League grounds in England and Wales during four weeks in July and August 2015.

It’s all on behalf of charity and they are raising money for Breast Cancer Care and the British Liver Trust.

They will be in Newcastle today – so see if you can help out a very good cause – you can read about their exploits and denote on their website pedalforpounds here.

Tags: Financial Fair Play · Financials · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours

42 responses so far ↓

• 1 Liverpool Mag // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:57 AM

TFL/Chancel previous post

It is really good that you’re back, we were all worried about you. I also agree with you, that McClaren does seem to have more pull than Pardew but that’s not surprising as yet again he has been caught out for being a slimy lying sort.

• 2 beermonkey // Aug 7, 2015 at 9:58 AM

banjax

palace are paying cabaye around 100k a week I think they have bust there wage cap of 35k

• 3 calvinzolamakongo // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:00 AM

Boys I’m up from down south on Sunday ..driving there today just want suggestions of things to do places to eat as I was up bout 10 times last season but just end up going the same places help me out lads

• 4 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:03 AM

Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:00 AM

Jib,
    NUFC had been interested in Wijinaldum for a long time. Mbemba’s agent said we had been tracking him and Mitrovic since before Christmas. McClaren may have some input, but it is clear these were already club targets as well.

23Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Banjax,
    Crystal Palace wage bar is £40k? Cabaye is on £100k according to most reports.

• 5 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:03 AM

Thanks Liverpool mate.

WWSBRD No I’m no WUM pmsl

Been home a while now sick of the pain and weird sleeping patterns

• 6 WWSBRD // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:05 AM

Chancel
    …exactly what a WUM would say haha

• 7 beermonkey // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:07 AM

chancel

alright mate how r u

did u say yest about a striker rodon in London for a medical it was between us and hammer
    according to the mail West Ham have secured the work permit necessary to take Atletico Madrid’s 24-year-old striker Raul Jimenez on a season-long loan

• 8 Novocastrian66 // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:09 AM

Pardew said last summer that he was heavily involved in the recruitment of De Jong and Cabella. Now he is saying he did not have any control over transfers at Newcastle and the players brought in did not suit his footballing philosophy, (at least he got that bit right). He cannot have it both ways.The bloke is a charlatan. He will get found out a Palace sooner or later.

• 9 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Thanks WWSBRD 🙂

Beer, not too good tbh but we plod on, there was something online about Rondon but dunno whats happening tbh

• 10 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Beer I was just going to say how does Cabs fit in with the wage cap? 🙂

So Pardew might be blaming transfer restrictions and that’s pretty plausible, but he still couldn’t shore up our defence or stop us hoofing the ball heavenward. Half a story there, Alan.

But it confirms that the ‘whingers’ were probably right at saying we were a ‘selling club’. Those of us who were rhyming on about the cynical nature of our purchase and selling policy maybe should be listened to about our views on the ‘loan’ charade and the ‘free advertising’ mule that Mike has made us.

• 11 Tsunki // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:14 AM

Oh no Jeff – I can hear the sound of a 20 ton rock rumbling ever closer….look behind you! 😀

• 12 Klam3r // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Would I trust Pardews philosophy using £50m? No.
    Would I trust McClarens philosophy using £50m? Yes.

McClaren might not be the best manager around but he’s a good coach and has a setup that will develop players.

• 13 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:19 AM

Yes, he now has full control, bought 5 last Jan and only used 1 regularly, and has just spunked £8 or 9million on Conor Whickham. Why on earth would you want him to have full control?

• 14 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:22 AM

Agreed Lilongwe

• 15 lesh // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Take a Chancel

Just as well you’re at home – at least you’ll be given decent food. But, there’ll be no pretty young nurses to pander to your every whom – guess you’re ma’ll have to do, very well no doubt.

You’re sick of the pain? Crikey, the season’s not kicked off yet and by Christmas, you’ll have changed your allegiance to support a club that really wants to go places. Now which of the Manchester clubs is it be then?

Keep smiling me owld son, there’s a long season ahead and let’s hope you’re well enough to get to SJP and give the lads a kick up the backside if necessary.

• 16 lesh // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Chancel….. *pander to your every whim, not whom!

Mickey Mouse phone!

• 17 Jib // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Tsunki
    For normal bloggers it’s about exchanging differing points of view and stand points.
    For you it seems to be a big points scoring exercise , are you a private frazer , victor meldrew or a stadtler ?

• 18 WWSBRD // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Chancel
    Not a problem mate

• 19 beermonkey // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:27 AM

chancel

u hang on I there maybe McLaren can muster a few early wins to help ease the pain

tsunki

as novo said he was quite happy to take credit for last summers window
    it was a dire season last season even with him here
    so now McLaren is getting a better stamp of player
    pards claims he never had a say

he will reach a point at palace where he will have to sell
    small ground and appeal they cant keep handing out 100k a week contracts and it not have an effect I don’t think there is a rich man in the back ground funding the club

• 20 nut meg // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:28 AM

Ashley & Llambias probably knew how irresponsible Pardew was with money after seeing him at play in the casino! If the rumors are true.

• 21 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:28 AM

Jib,
    McClaren may have historically bought in the winter window, but he hadn’t historically been at NUFC, so it really matter little. He has talked if the right players, and Ashley mentioned value and pound for pound in his end of season ‘rallying call’. Those two combined make January purchases unlikely, not impossible – contracts coming to an end would be a useful tool for them, but more unlikely than likely.

• 22 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:29 AM

A direct quote from Alan ‘I had little part in transfers’ Pardew

“A lot of work has gone into his signing and I’d like to pay tribute to my staff, in particular Graham [Carr] and myself, Lee [Charnley], Mike and everyone on the board. We’ve worked really hard on this and he’s a player we think is important, which is represented in the fee and represented in his commitment to us.”

• 23 deeps // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:30 AM

LOL PARDEW..IF HE WAS GIVEN FULL CONTROL OUR FRONT THREE WOULD HAVE BEEN
    Shola ameobi –Heskey –Carlton cole
    ?

• 24 Jib // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:32 AM

Lilo
    Time will tell , at the moment neither of us right.
    Leeds
    Will you be watching on Sunday , while you are recuperating it may not be a good idea

• 25 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:35 AM

WWSBRD, Lesh, Beermonkey

Thanks guys, no I feel upbeat about this season, I can see we will play better football under McClaren.
    I will be watching sunday hopefully, I reckon we will win 2-1

• 26 WWSBRD // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:36 AM

The club will buy in January if we are in serious trouble of heading southwards and missing out on PL money or we sell early not to strengthen for a push for a cup or European places

• 27 nut meg // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:37 AM

When Pardew played 4-3-3 it was the only time we looked like a team with a philosophy, other then that we like a bunch of strangers having a kick about in the park. We are well rid of him.

• 28 Rotonda heights // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:38 AM

Alan ”it’s never your fault” pardew

• 29 JackButler // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:39 AM

He signed the contract and sold his soul now he’s moaning about the terms and conditions – TOOL!!!!

• 30 Rotonda heights // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:39 AM

deeps

let’s not forget his inspired signings of obertan and elliot!!

• 31 rwpoynter // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:42 AM

This comment from Pardew doesn’t surprise me at all. I perhaps didn’t consider him in the top 6 Premier League managers but he was nowhere near as bad as some fans painted him. He got a lot of flak for other peoples errors. I have always said a manager/coach should have control over player ins and outs, by all means leave the mechanics of this to the financial boys, but with a good manager ,who needs a Director of football? The biggest mistake Ashley made was thinking KK was ever going to put up with Denis Wise. I think and hope the corner has been turned and although there are critics of the decision to let Colo have an extension to his contract McLaren obviously thinks it will bring some stability to what is hopefully a new dawn. Don’t sell our best players just to make a profit, invest in new long term talent and hopefully the proof of this philosophy will be in the results. Mike Ashley had to turn NUFC into a credible financial concern after some of the ludicrous excesses of the previous regime. That job has now been done. My only regret in this last few months was that we did not offer Jonas another year on his contract.

• 32 Rotonda heights // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:44 AM

lilo

exactly. the guy couldn’t lie staight in bed

• 33 JackButler // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:48 AM

I can understand, with the amounts of money involved, why signings are now done via committee, but I wouldn’t trust Pardew with a tenner at the local shop as hed find a way to buy the only stock that was out of date.

• 34 overtheline // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:49 AM

From the WUM who regularly spouts bile on other bloggers and posts that most of us have no knowledge about football.
    (obviously compared wthi himself and his shortcut to Google)

Jib // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:25 AM

” ….For normal bloggers it’s about exchanging differing points of view and stand points…..
    For you it seems to be a big points scoring exercise ….”

Enough hypocrisy there for the entire House of Commons.

• 35 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 7, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Well now Pardew is getting to buy the players he better not get too cocky !

Cause if Palace go 4 5 or 6 games without a win and lose 4 in a row he will be for the chop

I think short term Palace might do quite well but all the play will go through Puncheon , Bolasie and Cabaye if you stop Cabaye you will stop them playing properly or they will just start hoofing it

I think long term Mclaren and Cathro will have us bothering the top 6 every season

• 36 Moonraker15 // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Pardew in full control; Cabaye for 10 million and Conor Whickham 9 million!
    The man’s a loose cannon and we’re well rid. And to deny having an interest in Coloccini is a downright lie !

I can’t wait for him to fail !

• 37 TheToonKing // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:09 AM

lol….fu3k you Pardew.

• 38 beermonkey // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:16 AM

chancel

we will play better footy under McLaren and I think he will get us playing more as a unit, on a football front quite a few positive, but the club

lee charnley

it has never taken teams long to work out pards teams the problem for pards is he cant work out how to change things hence our poor runs
    I don’t think they will struggle this season though unless he loses cabs or bolaise to injury

• 39 Madmaglass // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:20 AM

@ Martoon

May as well have a go at this. Cheers!
    Best of luck to everyone!

Final position in league – 9th
    Points total in league – 56
    League cup – semi finals
    FA cup – semi finals
    Signings in – 6
    Signings out – 6
    Top scorer – Mitrovic
    Number of goals scored by top scorer – 15

• 40 BandB // Aug 7, 2015 at 11:23 AM

The team for Sunday, intervening injuries notwithstanding.

Krul, Janmaat, Haidara,Williamson, Taylor, Colback, Anita, Sissoko, Wijnaldum, Obertan, Cisse.

I will be very surprised if it is very different from that.

I also think McClaren is toe-ing the party line in his comments about Colocinni, and that things aren’t so very different for him as they were for Pardew.

Hopefully this team is strong enough to finally score a winning goal from open play, something we failed to do in pre-season and have rarely managed in the whole of 2015 to date.

• 41 saxonfenken // Aug 7, 2015 at 2:05 PM

proof is in the pudding, just lets see how good he is

• 42 Moonraker15 // Aug 7, 2015 at 4:11 PM

Band
    You are way off with that team. Mitrovic and de Jong will start for sure and possibly Mbemba. Aarons, Cisse on the bench otherwise you ain’t far out haha
    HWTL