The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Austin Starts For QPR – Boss Says It’s Out Of His Hands

9:21 pm, Saturday, August 8th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 97 Comments

26-year-old Charlie Austin started for QPR in their 2-0 loss at Charlton Athletic today, and he hit the post in the first half,  before he was taken off late in the game after 86 minutes.

So it was not a good start for QPR in the Championship today.

austin against charlton

Charlie Austin in action today at Charlton

After the game the QPR boss again talked up the fact he expected Charlie to be sold if the right offer comes in for him.

The transfer window slams shut three weeks on Monday night,  and we’ll just have to wait and see if any club comes in with a bid of £15M for the striker, whose contract runs out next June.

This is what manager Chris Ramsey said after the game:

“If the owners get the right money, I think he will be moving on,” “He would be a big loss for any club in any division.”

“He’s going to be a massive gain for anybody that has the money to buy him.” “It’s out of my hands, it’s up to what the club wants to do.”

QPR paid £4M for him two years ago when they signed him after he had failed a medical at Hull City,  and last season he scored a good 18 Premier League goals in 35 appearances for a struggling QPR side.

But it’s not clear if any club will come in for him before the end of the month – with Newcastle the club he has been expected to join.

Newcastle is said to be Charlie’s first choice, and the striker had this to say to BBC Sport after the game when asked if he would be leaving QPR:

“I’m available until I’m told otherwise.”

And so the saga goes on.

97 responses so far ↓

• 1 jazzyp // Aug 8, 2015 at 9:26 PM

Be glad when this saga is put to bed one way or another.
    A dangerous game we are playing if we are interested in this lad. Bangs loads of goals in and a bigger team may come calling. carries on in this vain and we may end up with a bargain

• 2 Bobbybee // Aug 8, 2015 at 9:30 PM

We don’t want him by the look of it. Anyway, after last season, the last thing perez needs is putting further down the pecking order to stagnate. Not going to happen. Next storyline please.

• 3 JackButler // Aug 8, 2015 at 9:37 PM

The lad will want out asap if he wants to go to the Euros next year as the chances of him being involved playing in the championship are next to zero

• 4 will die for the toon army // Aug 8, 2015 at 9:39 PM

Some one pliz buy Austin. Edd cant get over it. We r not interested

• 5 Crow59 // Aug 8, 2015 at 9:39 PM

Pochetino will realise after today the spuds will be ruined if anything happens to Kane, so 15m for Austin is minimal in terms of what they’ve got for there departures.
    I really hope we get him over that imaginary line though, as I think him and Mitrovic would be the best forward line up that we’ve had in a while.
    Can’t wait for tomorrow and I’m being optomistic.

• 6 JackButler // Aug 8, 2015 at 9:39 PM

Bobby

I think we do want him, but at our valuation and not QPR’s

• 7 Fostino // Aug 8, 2015 at 9:42 PM

Spurs fans don’t even want austin. They want an exciting striker/ attacker with flair. 15 m fir austin is a lot. Only way we’ll hand that over is if we get cisse off the books #newno9

• 8 Fostino // Aug 8, 2015 at 9:43 PM

With all the strikers West Brom are buying. .berahino is dispensible I’d say

• 9 will die for the toon army // Aug 8, 2015 at 9:44 PM

I think with our system we r ok on strikers.
    We need 3 and we have 3 in ranking.

Mitrovic, Cisse, Rivere.

• 10 OneAlanShearer // Aug 8, 2015 at 9:50 PM

I feel for the lad. Just wants his shot. I stand by my stance he would be ideal for us to switch to 2 up front in games. Give us a real chance in the cups with that depth as well.

• 11 OneAlanShearer // Aug 8, 2015 at 9:51 PM

Berahino will end up at spurs.

• 12 will die for the toon army // Aug 8, 2015 at 9:54 PM

Mcca shld go back for e traditional 4 4 2

• 13 toon kk // Aug 8, 2015 at 9:54 PM

I think with another season or so Rivere could actually be a good player, he just needs a bit more play time, or and remember where the back of the net is.

• 14 Bobbybee // Aug 8, 2015 at 9:58 PM

Jack, I’m not convinced we do mate. We never said we were, it was all media hype. They even had us making an offer, which we now know hasn’t happened. I think QPR are selfish at that price. They could ruin any chance he has of fulfilling his dream of representing his country at the Euro’s.for someone who fought through from non-league to where he is, that’s harsh!

• 15 OneAlanShearer // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:02 PM

Toon kk. For me Riviere is never going to cut it. He simply isn’t good enough even though he does have the right attitude.

• 16 JamesToon // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:09 PM

repost r.e. system
    Chronicle saying Sissoko is gonna be deployed as a right midfielder, except given a free role to roam about.

Our system is starting to sound like Pochettino’s Southampton if you know what I mean, they played 4-2-3-1 with a high press and emphasis on ball retention, and they always had a direct winger like Rodriguez getting in behind and a “free roaming” right winger (like sissoko’s role) in ward prowse/Davis

• 17 Noel Worst // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:11 PM

Happily wait until Jan and get him on a pre-contract or for sub £5m.

• 18 WWSBRD // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:21 PM

Don’t think we can get him on a pre contract mate

• 19 Belfast // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:22 PM

I haven’t read a Austin article in ages, well at least a few hours lol

Channel five are basically going to ruin the football league show.

Remember a few years ago when Match of the day moved to Itv? Pain in the arse.

Flashbacks! 🙂

• 20 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:22 PM

MOTD and Scumderlands thrashing up first 🙂

• 21 JackButler // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:23 PM

Everything depends on Cisse’s future, he’s our only proven goal scorer and he’s been off his game for a while, if he does leave or fails to rediscover his form we will be desperate for another striker in as relying on Mitrovic, Perez and Rivière is not likely to get us plenty of goals

• 22 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:23 PM

Sissoko will play right mid

• 23 JackButler // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:28 PM

Nice to see that our defensive worries are nothing compared to those of the Scum 🙂

Also reassuring To know that Cattermole is still the useless donkey he’s always been

• 24 WWSBRD // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:30 PM

Oh dear Sunderland oh dear

• 25 Sazzer // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:30 PM

Toulouse, St.Etienne and Monaco said same thing about Riviere. Problem is he has never scored a lot of goals.

• 26 Belfast // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:31 PM

According to Jesper Sunderland have addressed their defence hahaha

• 27 Belfast // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:31 PM

Jesper… Oot

• 28 WWSBRD // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:32 PM

JB
    Is Cisse actually fit now? Well for 3 months until he needs his knee surgery again

• 29 JackButler // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:35 PM

WWSBRD

Not sure mate tbh, I think that’s the reason we are interested in Austin as he’s a proven goal scorer.

I really like Perez and Mitrovic is talking a very good game while Rivière is neither here nor there imho but expecting us to be carried through by that three is a very tall order

• 30 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:38 PM

Newcastle bid £11 for Rolan

• 31 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:38 PM

New story for Ed

• 32 toon kk // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:39 PM

When we had Carrol, although he needed Barton to supply him, you knew half a chance the ball was in the back of the net. Same with Ba then Remy. Last season we hadn’t that threat. So hopefully Cisse will rediscover his true form along with Mit. But our defence? The worst in the league.

• 33 beermonkey // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:40 PM

chancel

sunderland were woeful

I do like vardy he did well last season
    I wonder what he would have cost

• 34 WWSBRD // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:42 PM

JB
    Tbh I think Cisse in the clubs eyes needs to be moved on. His knee is shit from what I heard, his on the wrong side of the age bracket and they won’t make money on him after this window

I like Perez but he isn’t a proper striker imo Mitrovic looks good but who knows if he will hit the ground running. Rivi and Goofy just don’t score enough

• 35 WWSBRD // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:44 PM

I really dislike Swansea, truly hope they go down

• 36 Sazzer // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:46 PM

Young proven EPL players are usually not available for us to buy. But Austin and Beraino are clearly available. And it might not even cost anything if we manage to sell 1 of them for 35 m if they score more goals in a better team than last season.

• 37 beermonkey // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:47 PM

wws

I can see us using dejong up front at times this season more so if we move cisse on

does any1 know if armstrongs goals were on the league show that was on chan 5 tonight

• 38 JackButler // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:48 PM

WWSBRD

Agreed mate, let’s just hope we are trying to do something. Perez is more like an old fasioned No#10 to me and Rivière could come good, but I’m not holding my breath and Goofy is simply not a striker, he just a hard working midfielder who will be a squad player this season imo, but if Mitrovic plays as well as the game he’s been talking he should be a massive hit 🙂 but do you take that chance when we could possibly get someone proven?

Read today that Everton are trying to get Shaqiri on loan with an option, would be something I’d like to see us involved in

• 39 JackButler // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:49 PM

WWSBRD

WHAT???????????

Why do you want Swansea to go down?

• 40 Belfast // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:49 PM

I would rather pay the extra 2 million for Austin than sign the bloke from the French league.

• 41 WWSBRD // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:50 PM

beer
    de Jong up top? Could happen not sure it should though but I could be wrong

• 42 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:50 PM

Gomis reminds me of riviere, good play but can’t score from open play

• 43 welshgeordie9 // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:51 PM

Swans to go down

Ha ha ha

I will have what ever you are drinking.

• 44 JackButler // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:51 PM

Belfast

With you there mate, if Thauvin rocks up and we don’t sign a striker or CB it will be sheer madness

• 45 Sazzer // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:54 PM

If you buy Rolan for 11 m and he’s not good enough for Premier league you will struggle to sell him because L1 sides can’t afford to buy back.

If Berahino unlikely fails another EPL team can afford to pay at least £15m on hope he will find last year’s form.

• 46 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:54 PM

cracker from redmond

• 47 beermonkey // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:55 PM

wws

he played up front for ajax and did well while not ideal if we sell cisse
    it could work in 433 in cup games using riviere in his natural left role and perez on the right

• 48 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:55 PM

Palace lucky, goal should have counted

• 49 JackButler // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:56 PM

Ref had a bit of a mare at Norwich by the looks of it

Red card not given, perfect goal ruled out ffs

• 50 WWSBRD // Aug 8, 2015 at 10:56 PM

JB
    Let’s hope mate plenty of time to get some players in and we do need a few but time will tell. Haha I like Mitrovic I hope he is as crackers as we all think he will be! Goofy used to be a striker before he joined us mate just never tried up top here

I don’t think we would pay Shaqiri’s wages mate plus not sure he would want to join us. We should go for Redmond have thought that for a time but he will join Spurs or Liverpool next season for 15 mill then barely play

Swansea I just think they are a nothing club mate and Monk is just not close to my cup of tea

• 51 Sazzer // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:00 PM

Same goes for Austin he’s older but you get at least 10m next year even if he score less than Wickham.

• 52 WWSBRD // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:00 PM

welsh
    I have to of drunk something to hope a club go down?

beer
    I think it would take him out of the game tbh (plus would be a bigger gamble on his fitness which is far from proven at this point)
    It’ll probably happen though

• 53 welshgeordie9 // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:01 PM

WWSBRD

Please stop telling funny jokes, my sides are hurting from laughing.

• 54 the broons // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:01 PM

aye shocking decision of ref, he has to go for that overhead kick and has been denied a great goal.

• 55 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:01 PM

WWSBRD

I might be wrong thinking this but I don’t like Welsh teams being in the English leagues, there are no Scottish teams in.

• 56 toonking // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:01 PM

watching MOTD, they’ve just showed norwich-palace and pardew himself comes out with “I thought I picked the wrong team” could my sarcasm actually be true?

• 57 Sazzer // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:02 PM

Marcelo Bielsa has resigned as Marseille coach after a 1-0 home defeat to Caen in the first game of the new season.

• 58 JackButler // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:02 PM

WWSBRD

From his two years here I just don’t see Goofy as a striker, don’t get me wrong in a way I like the lad as he always gives 100% but if we become reliant on him to get the goals I’d be very worried – I hope Mitrovic is as nuts as he sounds as it’s been while since we’ve seen someone like that at SJP 🙂

I think Shaqiri has three options ( according to reports anyway) and they are Everton, Shalke and us and a pacey, direct winger, with a great cross would fill a gap for us

• 59 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:03 PM

Sazzer hmmm, Thauvin may leave too??

• 60 welshgeordie9 // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:03 PM

So they are a nothing club and you want them to go down.

You couldn’t make it up.

Ha ha ha

• 61 welshgeordie9 // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:05 PM

Take a Chancel on me

Are you being welshist.

• 62 welshgeordie9 // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:06 PM

You got to have swans in the premier league, not many teams are better than them.

• 63 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:06 PM

not at all but its the ENGLISH Premier League

• 64 JackButler // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:07 PM

Chancel

That’s an old argument mate, Cardiff, Wrexham, Swansea have been in the leagues for decades for the better part of a century

• 65 welshgeordie9 // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:07 PM

If that’s the case then Sherlock, there should be only English players in the English leagues.

• 66 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:09 PM

Jack I know just don’t think it’s right

Welsh English teams not players

• 67 JackButler // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:09 PM

Sazzer

Why would you do that?

Go all the way through pre season and then walk after 90 minutes!!!!!

Just hope Thauvin stays there for a long, long time

• 68 beermonkey // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:09 PM

wws

like I say not ideal and it hinges on cisse but it will help McLaren because there are going to be times when he cant get dejong and wijnaldum in the team together

what is good its an option and its been a while since we have those

• 69 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:10 PM

Jack
    Doesn’t make sense walking after one game

• 70 WWSBRD // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:10 PM

Chancel
    Yeah that irks me a bit as well but there’s a lot of history as to why they are in and blah blah blah haha I don’t mind Cardiff that much just really don’t enjoy Swansea

JB
    Bar I don’t think Goofy will play as ST either mate but maybe should of been back when who knows now he’s certainly not the player we signed anymore. I’d accept a few red cards for Mitrovic in order to have a little fun with football again haha

I thought Schalke didn’t want him? But as I say if he came here he’d be in the highest earner bracket and am not sure the club will want that, again could be wrong though I certainly wouldn’t mind it…though he’s a bit of a helmet by all accounts isn’t he?

• 71 JackButler // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:11 PM

Can’t believe I’m about to say this but I actually agree with Welsh.

You cant stop Welsh clubs playing in the English leagues when the vast majority of players at those club are foreign

• 72 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:12 PM

WWSBRD
    I know I do agree though Swansea are a bit of a non entity

• 73 welshgeordie9 // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:12 PM

If you going down that road, English teams, English players, French teams, French players, etc.

• 74 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:12 PM

Jack
    Why no Scottish teams then? same difference!

• 75 WWSBRD // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:13 PM

welsh
    Ok cool u like Swansea I don’t differing opinions and all that

beer
    Aye it’s very good to have options haha not often we have had that, might even have some competition for places heavens forbid

• 76 welshgeordie9 // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:14 PM

JackButler

You agree with me.

yyyyyyeeeeeesssss get it in, as Del Boy would say you know it makes sense.

• 77 JackButler // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:15 PM

WWSBRD

Not sure what he’s like mate tbh, I just remember the lad ripping everyone apart when he was playing for Basle and that he has two things we are seriously short of and that’s pace and the ability to cross the bloody ball!!!!!

I’ve already heard the most pathetic excuse being used already, after only one day of football someone, who I will not name sat on TV and said it was a poor pass because it was on their weaker foot.

100k+ a week and a player can’t kick a ball with both feet FFS!!!!!

• 78 the broons // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:16 PM

foreign players is totally different to foreign clubs though.

You get foreign players in all the top european leagues, however all teams that compete in bbva are spanish as is the case everywhere else.

However I agree swansea are too good of a side to not have in the premier league now.

• 79 WWSBRD // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:16 PM

Chancel
    Has a point really Celtic and Rangers have done more for football then Welsh teams but they are stuck in a dodgy league

christ I wish I hadn’t mentioned it

• 80 beermonkey // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:16 PM

wws

competition for places

take that back we all know its not the Ashley way

• 81 G // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:16 PM

Meanwhile, back on the story, Austin got sussed last season, I wouldn’t give 5M for him. He’s not a bad striker, but no way is he worth anywhere near what QPR are after. New Michael Ricketts. Ed, stop the Austin love now please, Perez is better.

• 82 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:16 PM

Jack, Welsh

Nothing will change after all this time but I will agree to disagree, I just don’t like it.

• 83 welshgeordie9 // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:17 PM

Looking forward to tomorrow’s match, it would nice to start the season with a win, confidence will be up then.

• 84 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:18 PM

It may take a while but Swansea will get found out and slip back to the championship

• 85 beermonkey // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:18 PM

wws

can u imagine how good rangers and celtic could be if they were in the prem with our cash

they have the stadia and fans

• 86 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:19 PM

you are right Beer

• 87 JackButler // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:20 PM

Chancel

Welsh clubs have been a part of the league set up from the start, I would be against introducing Welsh clubs in the league if it were to happen now, but the Welsh clubs have always been there.

On the Scottish side, I don’t think it should or will ever happen tbh, I think we will see a European super league in the future though and it may come quicker than people think if Platini takes over at FIFA as the potential financial rewards would be beyond imagining

• 88 WWSBRD // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:20 PM

JB
    Oh aye he’s a talent just heard his attitude is lifting but I don’t know enough about him to be too confident about that, maybe another Benny? Haha I didn’t mind him that much

• 89 Sazzer // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:21 PM

Marsei?e selling 4 players to us should do it.

• 90 JackButler // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:22 PM

G

I think a lay down in a dark room is in order.

Austin was found out last season

Perez is better

• 91 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:23 PM

Austin scored 18 goals, when was he found out?

• 92 WWSBRD // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:24 PM

beer
    Haha we should only whisper it so Ashley doesn’t realise! We know the score haha. Aye Celtic and Rangers would be right up there and tbh we would be better off for it because we wouldn’t be the only ones stuck so far north

Chancel
    Fingers crossed haha hopefully it’ll be under Monks guidance as well

• 93 welshgeordie9 // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:24 PM

Take a Chancel on me

How would swans get found out, they have been there a couple of years now and they still play teams off the pitch like tonight for example.

• 94 JackButler // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:24 PM

WWSBRD

It’s nice to talk about potential incoming players rather than who’s out the door next 🙂

• 95 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:26 PM

TBF Welsh
    Chelsea looked jaded and scored 2 goals, if they’d been firing all all pistons Swansea would’ve taken a hiding.

• 96 welshgeordie9 // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:27 PM

If you say so.

• 97 G // Aug 8, 2015 at 11:33 PM

When he relied on pens, the damage was done qpr players put 7 players in the box to scrap goals and increase their own value because thd only way was down. Trust me Austin is a dead end, are you really telling me that Liverpool would spend more than double the money on Bentekke when Austin is that price? Ffs, even Brendan Bodgers can see what the pro Charli Austins can’t.

previous post: Armstrong Scores Twice In Coventry’s 2-0 Win