This Man Could Become The Hero At Newcastle

It’s not surprising that Steve McClaren seems to have given lots of interviews before his first competitive game in charge of Newcastle United tomorrow afternoon against Southampton.

Steve is a positive guy, but he is also realistic and down to earth and very experienced,  and he’s been through the mill once or twice – especially once as the England manager, when the pressure on him for 16 months back in 2007 was simply enormous, and that would have broken a lesser man.

Steve McClaren wally with the brolly -006

Steve McClaren as the England manager – unbelievable pressure

We were dead against Steve at that time when he was manager of England, because he seemed to be not up to the job, and it’s strange but now he has our utmost respect simply because he got through that continued as  a manager and kept his dignity when he was under immense and unrelenting pressure.

Many would have given up – but he has even had some success since then at FC Twente and it’s not beyond the realm of possibility he can even bring Newcastle our first trophy in 47 years.

But Steve certainly has the mental strength and capabilities to be able to manage Newcastle United perhaps  to some success – and we all know that’s not an easy task for anybody.

Some of the questions Steve has been given over the last two days are themselves negative, and he was asked if the Newcastle job was a poisoned chalice:

“I don’t see it as a poisoned chalice. I see it as an opportunity.” “That’s what we have been given here – myself, the staff, some new players. It is an opportunity.”

“Pressure is a privilege. When you are going through it, believe you me, you don’t think of it as a privilege. But when you sit back and reflect, it is a privilege to be in that position.”

“We just want to give the supporters and you people something positive to watch and something positive to write, if that is possible.”

“Putting it into perspective about the England job, that was a whole nation, now we are talking about a region. But this region is one of the biggest.”

“When you look at the Premier League and you want to come to any football club in the Premier League, to be given the opportunity at Newcastle, 50,000 people, absolute fanatics, it is like a religion for them, and I know that by living in this area, it is huge and a massive pressure.”

“We had a bad two months at Derby, explainable through injuries, but the previous 22 months were very good.”

“We were near the top of the league all the time, and our style of football, the way we went about things, was recognized by football. I can understand that point of view and that’s no problem.”

I’ve got the opportunity and it is something I have wanted since I’ve lived in this area. I am grateful to the people that have given me this opportunity.”

Whatever happens to Steve McClaren at Newcastle he is a good man – and it would be terrific if he’s the one that finally brings Newcastle some success – a trophy.

He would certainly be the hero, and that would be so fitting especially after the complete and utter nightmare he went through as the England manager.

It would not only be a huge success for Newcastle United – at last – but also a phenomenal success for Steve McClaren and his team.

It’s certainly possible.

• Bambams

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Let’s start with just beating the mackems….

• WWSBRD

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:44 AM

Anyone could become a hero at nufc tbf granted it’s a lot harder with Ashley here but not impossible

• AncientC

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:49 AM

So, I wonder what it’s to be… 4.2.3.1 or 4.2.3.1.

Oh well, it never worked in the past, so ya know… always worth another try. (yawn)

• toon kk

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:51 AM

Give Stevie his due he’s certainly has a professional attitude.
    I wonder what he thought of Carver?

• WWSBRD

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:53 AM

AncientC
    From previous article
    QPR manager may want to keep Austin but owner knows they need to sell him now and the player wants to leave for the PL

• Munster Mag

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Toon kk it wud have been easy for the club to keep carver and steve wud have had to include him. Once we sacked both him and stone at some cost , it signalled a more positive approach from nufc

• Rotonda heights

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:58 AM

He’d be well on the way to being a hero if he dropped Willo, Saylor and Obertan permanently and had Colback on the bench.

If Willo, Saylor and Obertan start tomorrow, then only one outcome. Amazing our defence, MBemba apart, has not been addressed. Criminal.

• Novocastrian66

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:59 AM

Ancient; There’s nowt wrong with 4-2-3-1 as long as the 3 play high enough up the pitch. Last season, all too often, the midfield were 20 yards too deep and the striker was isolated.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Ed

You need to give the austin thing a rest. He’s 27 in a few days time, has had one good season, is medically suspect and vastly over valued at 15M. This is one decision I do back NUFC with.

Any one of Dunk, Rutiger, Veltman, Van Dijk would be great.

• AncientC

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:07 AM

WWSBRD: I cannot see QPR wanting to sell Austin unless their hand is forced. I recall a situation a few years ago when Harry Redknapp said a few of his players thought they were too good for the Championship and refused to play in the first game of the season… those turning out to be Remy and Taarabt, who were then moved on.

Austin is in the squad to play Charlton and is vital to QPR coming back up. If Austin plays (which I am certain he will) then he stays. Fernandes will not be bothered about losing Austin next summer if it gives him a better chance of being back in the Premier League. Austin will also get more money if he waits until next summer, so….

• Lost Plot

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:14 AM

Nobody stays long enough to become a true hero (apart from Colo’s recent contract)

Remy, Ba, Cabaye were all in the making 🙁

Hope this is a new era for the best!

• WWSBRD

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:15 AM

AncientC
    He’s near 27 mate and wants to play international football which he needs to be in the PL to get plus QPR need the money due to the bill hanging over them

Id be amazed if he is still there after the window shuts…me, him and Ramsey will all be

• Belfast

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:22 AM

Damm I missed the Charlie Austin article…..

Gutted!

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:23 AM

I’ve just been reading the post by the non pro Ashley blogger I will die for the toon army. Average intelligence is what it says on the tin and unfortunately not everyone is blessed with it. We were not bankrupted by Hall and Shepherd, certainly a shake up was needed but to say there was nothing to hope for under their stewardship absolutely baffled me. Ashley has proved he’s willing to help us out, if I was to smash all the windows in my house do you think the neighbours would say what a good guy I was because I then went and fixed them. Mike Ashley has done nothing at all for the good of this club.

• Slank

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:24 AM

Rotonda heights @ 9

All those centre backs you list (Dunk, Rutiger, Veltman, Van Dijk) have no Premiership experience just like Chancel.

However, now that Colo has signed an extension to his contract I can see the club being more comfortable about bringing in an untested centre back as Colo would possibly act as their mentor / father figure. By the time Colo bows out Chancel and ANO would have had two years Premiership experience behind them.

• Slank

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:27 AM

Belfast

Don’t worry there will be another soon enough !

When he signs for another club all we can hope for is that Ed doesn’t bombard us with articles about how we missed out on him.

• Belfast

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:28 AM

Haha great thanks. I think we should all head back to the Charlie Austin article…

• WWSBRD

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:28 AM

Slank
    That plan works a treat for who ever buys them in 2 seasons time unless they flop then they are ours long term

• Munster Mag

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:30 AM

Not logged in much over last couple of weeks due to hols. Surprised re colo captaincy. Steves first error i think. But i wud expect the dressing room to be more vocal and motivated with guys like mitro and wini in there. Also surprised re sissoko but i think club has told steve that funds may be limited now so he is keeping funds for another part of team.

• Belfast

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:31 AM

Oh aye there’s at least another 50 articles in this one easy.

• Slank

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Just had a look at what streaming may be available tomorrow and was very surprised there was only two

FOOTYLIVESTREAM – Acestream RU
    VIP BOX – Browser

Anybody know what RU means ?

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:38 AM

Collo father figure and mentor.
    Our new prodigical son will know exactly how best to get himself sent off before a few upcoming tricky fixtures, feign injury before derbies and cup games while ensuring he makes his favourite teams games in his native country.

• Munster Mag

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:41 AM

If steve plays 2 out and out strikers it will bemuse many with their Fifa software approach to football who have been wittering on about 3-1-3-1-1-1 formations etc. I have a feeling cisse will get the nod and would grab a draw now. If we were away they wud beat us by 3 as they have had a more competitive pre season. A 442 with an energetic midfield and noisy crowd wud be great 🙂

• Take a Chancel on me

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Slank
    RU means Russian commentary

• Take a Chancel on me

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:46 AM

If any one has KODI or XBMC the match is in English on Canadian channel TSN

• beermonkey

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:48 AM

chancel

I use that where do u find that channel

• Munster Mag

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:58 AM

How / if he uses de jong will also be interesting. I hope we havent bought a crock but he didnt look like much more than a semi pro in terms of energy and physigue when i saw him last season.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:03 AM

The Press used to take the Pith out of Mclaren while he was across here as Manager of FC Twente, that was untill he won the League with them on a Shoestring budget and after that he was very popular here until sacked a year later!

A lot of the Dutch are now doing the same with Louis van Gaal and his attempts to speak English in interviews on the BBC, people understand what he,s trying to say but he translates too literallly which then has a completely different meaning to what he,s trying to say!

As for tomorrow, well it aint going to be easy, and it would not not surprise me if we lose or draw? I hope we have a decent REF and there are no Crap decisions either way?

I reserve my judgement until end September time!

• will die for the toon army

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:04 AM

Slank

Give credit where its due. QPR have a part owner who doesnt care that e club is sailing down and has millions in his account.

Ashely cares abt his investment and wont let it go into a financial mess. Whic I for one am pro of. Spending crazy money without guarantee of sucess aint my thing. Thats wat Hall and Shepherd did and on business loans. Jst read abt Real yesterday they r in a financial mess jst missed out with no trophy.

• Ron Knee

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:07 AM

For older readers, a great article on the Cub A’GoGo, in Percy Street:

Memories, memories.

• Take a Chancel on me

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:13 AM

Beermonkey
    it’s in several places like Navi-X and Robin Hood Project and Phoenix, I always scout it out around an hour before kick off

• Rotonda heights

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:24 AM

slank

people go on about so and so doesn’t have experience. the point is willo, saylor and colo do. Does that make them any better equipped. I’d suggest in their case not.

A lot foreign and even lower league people hit the ground running these days. Look at tomorrow’s opponents like Tadic, pelle etc. Equally some don’t. Andy carroll being a prime example.

A signing from anywhere is a potential risk but there are so many more foreign players in the EPL now that a lengthy period of acclimisation is maybe not what it was.

• Ron Knee

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:28 AM

One wicket to go, TFL!

• The overrated Frenchman

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:41 AM

What’s with all the text speak on your posts Will Die? Are you 15?

• Slank

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:50 AM

Chancel @ 27

Cheers mate

• Graeme

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:51 AM

England win the Ashes with 2 days and i test to spare. It took 40 mins this morning to finish them off. Well done Engerland.
    Australia now in search for some humility!!!

• the broons

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:52 AM

overrated frenchman

I think just lazy…

• Slank

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:56 AM

Ron Knee @ 31

I went to the Gogo almost every Thursday night. Saw Hendix play in the lounge. It was his first performance in the UK. Remember seeing Julie Driscoll of the Steam Packet who was the first women I had ever seen without a bra on. All the lads in the audience loved her session !

I remember the bouncers who were terrifying. I remember when one of them chopped off a dogs head.

Those were the days.