The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

New Signing Has Been Great – He’s Got Those Assassin’s Eyes

8:48 am, Sunday, August 9th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 16 Comments

Steve McClaren has described new boy Aleksandar Mitrovic as somebody with an edge and says he’s been great and worked hard since arriving on Tyneside.

Steve also said he’s got an edge and has those assassin’s eyes.

Aleksandar Mitrovic +Newcastle+United+v+Borussia+CJucKmhzSnul

Aleksandar Mitrovic – against Borussia Monchengladbach

The 20-year-old Serbian striker will make his debut today against the Saints,  but we don’t know whether he will start the game today.

Already Mitrovic has said he relishes the physical side of the game in England, which is one reason we hope he will quickly become a great signing for us.

This is how head coach Steve McClaren described a striker who is still only 20 and will improve in the Premier League:

¨He has an edge, doesn’t he?¨ ¨He flipping does.”“I like conflict, he said to me. But I like that.¨

¨He has that edge like Diego Costa, he likes physicality. There aren’t many who are like that now. You can see it in training, he likes that physical contact.¨

¨He’s totally unlike Balotelli.¨ ¨He doesn’t skulk around the training ground, he’s always smiling.¨

¨Yes, he’s got those assassin’s eyes, but he’s been great.¨ ¨He’s come with a reputation but he’s been great and worked hard.¨

¨He’s Serbian and he’s a bit of an itch – be careful.¨

We hope to see all three new signings today – Gini Wijnaldum will start, but perhaps Aleksandar and center-back Chancel Mbemba will start on the bench today?

What do you think?

Tags: Aleksandar Mitrovic · Chancel Mbemba · Georginio Wijnaldum · Newcastle News · Premier League · Transfer News and Rumours

16 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Aug 9, 2015 at 8:50 AM

Ashley Out!

• 2 northernracoon // Aug 9, 2015 at 8:55 AM

I hope he starts…. he is just more hungry than cisse

• 3 Jib // Aug 9, 2015 at 8:55 AM

Comparing him to Costa doesn’t impress me.
    Diego backed off twice yesterday in face offs with Jonjo Shelvey.
    Like a lot of supposed tough guys DC is a bit of a coward.

• 4 Bambams // Aug 9, 2015 at 8:55 AM

Just need to make some chances for this fella.

I am going to go with 2-1 Toon

But even if we do not get sll three points I just want to see some organisation and some skillful attacks.

If I see a set piece to the back of the box headed back into six yard box…I will be a grown man in tears

• 5 Ian Toon // Aug 9, 2015 at 8:56 AM

Belfast – Yes I do remember those that said they would improve our defence. Also the individual who felt buying defenders plus a DM had the mackems defence sorted.
    Really looking forward to a season of promise at the toon. Macca will get the best out of the likes of Moussa . He’s done what all good coaches do sing his praises – by talking about Him scoring more goals and being a big threat in the final third. He said he plans to use him in attacking areas and give him freedom to express himself rather than demand the disciplined role that he has been asked to play. I remember his early games for us when he terrorised defenders with his pace and aggression.
    Colback can do the defensive DM slot and Moussa in an uninhibited free role be the counterbalance. We should not judge Macca or the toon on today’s performance solely. I was reminded last night that when Keegan brought us up that we lost 1-0 to Spurs in the opening game at SJP ( Sheringham) only to draw away 1-1 at ManU in the next game. The rest is history and a 3 rd place finish. That said I am going for a 3-2 win.

• 6 SUTTY1978 // Aug 9, 2015 at 8:58 AM

My prediction for today, if Aarons starts we win, if obertan or Gouffy starts on the left we loose. Don’t think McLaren has the balls, will rely on “senior” players just like Pardew

• 7 Magpie Myles // Aug 9, 2015 at 9:02 AM

I remember Costa giving some Liverpool players stamps last year, I agree he is a bit of a coward.

• 8 Munster Mag // Aug 9, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Ian and co its great to be back! Funnily enough if charva had engaged in the same balkans stereotyping we wud have called him a fool. It shows we are begging for a good manager.

• 9 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 9, 2015 at 9:06 AM

Belfast…would you just please address your fan! 😉

• 10 Lindisfarne // Aug 9, 2015 at 9:08 AM

Gonna crucify some brother today?
    And I do dig how you wanna play,
    So come on and strike it twice.

• 11 SUTTY1978 // Aug 9, 2015 at 9:08 AM

Ian, we’ve barely managed to score a goal in most games in Preseason, what makes you think we’ll hit three today?

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Aug 9, 2015 at 9:12 AM

Sutty, we deliberately played shite to throw everybody.

• 13 Belfast // Aug 9, 2015 at 9:13 AM

Ian it will come as no surprise to me or you that Jesper got something completely wrong 😉

Jesper…. Out

• 14 Blofal // Aug 9, 2015 at 9:13 AM

I predict we will start:

Janmaat – Coloccini – Taylor – Haidara

I think McClaren will start off with this defensive line up to calm the nerves. The worst thing we can do today is concede an early goal. I would love to see us go all out and attack but I don’t see it happening.

Aarons and Mitrovic I expect to come on as impact subs. But as I said.. the starting 11 today will be first and foremost trying not to concede early. I wouldn’t even be surprised if Williamson started instead of Taylor.

• 15 magpiesi // Aug 9, 2015 at 9:15 AM

I’m waiting for a new set piece routine.

Using two or three players as Colback and co just hit straight driven balls to a marked man. A nice curler or a short pass to De Jong to change the angle for a quick shot or hopefully someone becomes free in the box otherwise we only have Mitrovic,Mbemba(Colo) descent in the air. Colo can be when he wants to but not often.

• 16 Jib // Aug 9, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Today at 13.30 is the first step of what hopefully will be a long journey.
    Patience (not a great Geordie trait) is really necessary.

previous post: McClaren Hints At More Signings Before September 1st