The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Gabby Obertan So Upbeat With New Coaching Staff

8:07 pm, Monday, August 10th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 133 Comments

Gabriel Obertan has given a good interview with nufcTV today, and his English is quite good and of course he’s good pals with Massadio Haidara so that seems to help them on the filed down the left hand side.

Gabby tells the truth and says he’s not a natural left-sided player (we knew that) – so he’s still working on that.

ganny obertan helping out at the back saints

Gabriel Obertan – helping out at the back yesterday

If you have a subscription to nufcTV it’s a very good interview because you get a good sense of Gabby and he seems very down to earth.

The Frenchman has done a lot of fitness work over the summer, so when he came back for pre-season he was ahead of the other players as far as his fitness – he comes across as a very good professional.

He was asked if he was surprised the way the team came back after going down 1-0 yesterday:

“It’s not surprising to us – last year we had trouble coming back into games, conceding goals and we like let ourselves down sometimes, but I think this year is totally different.”

“The way the staff have got us working and the spirit we’ve got is totally different so I think we saw that today and something we can be proud of.”

“At the beginning Steve had individual meetings and I know what he expects from me, and he said everybody is going to get a fresh start that’s what is expected from a new staff coming with fresh eyes and new vision.

“I’m glad it’s been a really good start for me and I’m really ready for this season.”

That’s a reference principally to John Carver’s tenure as head coach,  and looking back it’s clearer than ever that John was just way over his head as the interim head coach.

Newcastle were lucky that he didn’t take us down, but it was also Lee Charnley’s job to replace him – and he failed to do that and it was almost a complete disaster for the club – a very poor appointment by the Managing Director.

But we are past that now – and onto what could well be a good new era at Newcastle United.

This is what Gabby said about the goal he made for Wijnaldum:

“I just went for it when Papiss gave me the ball, he knows I’m pretty quick so that’s what I expect from my teammates to play on my qualities and put the ball far away from me.

“I won the race from my defender and then I just tried to put it in as best as I could into the box and Gini was in the right spot at the right time.”

This was a really good interview from the winger and you may change your mind about his personality if you can get a look at it.

What’s obvious is that he feels very comfortable with Steve McClaren in charge and he knows exactly what the head coach expects from him.

That’s got to be good.

Tags: Gabriel Obertan · Newcastle News · nufcTV · Premier League · Press Conference

133 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:08 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:10 PM

What a lucky City goal

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:11 PM

welsh,
    When you say ‘our’ defence, are you talking about that little club from the valleys ?

• 4 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:17 PM

Premier League & NBC agree new TV rights deal
    The Premier League has announced a new deal with American broadcaster NBC Universal to show live games for the next six years.

US rights are already with NBC Universal at $83m (£53.2m) a season.

The new US agreement covers all Premier League matches in seasons 2016-17 to 2021-22.

Premier League chairman Richard Scudamore said NBC Universal’s coverage of the previous two seasons had driven interest in clubs, and the competition as a whole, to unprecedented levels.

The total overseas rights, which include lucrative regions such as the Middle East and North Africa (Mena), will be worth about an additional £2bn in the current deal cycle.

• 5 welshgeordie9 // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:18 PM

Little club from the valleys

Ha ha ha

If you say so jail.

• 6 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:20 PM

Jesus
    Kolorov and Sterlings pink boots are a bit bright

• 7 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:20 PM

I tell u what the reprobates on here have done me a service this kodi thing is decent this City stream is outstanding

• 8 welshgeordie9 // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:20 PM

very crafty for doing that jail i know exactly what you are trying to do.

• 9 ZIPPIE57 // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:21 PM

he was the joint worst player on that pitch yesterday with Haidara, Alex Ferguson must have been piddling his pants when we bought him, absolute rubbish

• 10 Ron Knee // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:21 PM

Match a bit one-sided, TFL!

• 11 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:21 PM

JfA
    Now be nice Swansea is the biggest club in Wales that plays in the PL…until Cardiff get back in it

• 12 toontaff2 // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:22 PM

On a lighter note, maybe accompanied by Doris Day:
    Yann Zidane is in town
    move over clattermole

Yann M’Vila ,Sent off for nutting a Norwich lad called Loza on his debut for the unwashed under 21’s.

• 13 overtheline // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:22 PM

Swansea isn’t in the valleys.

• 14 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:22 PM

Thanks for that Back handed compliment WWSBRD

• 15 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:22 PM

just a bit Ron Knee

• 16 JackButler // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:23 PM

Obertan played well but will ultimately be a squad player before long as he quick and little else

• 17 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:24 PM

give them their due Swansea are the biggest club in south wales

• 18 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:24 PM

what a goal from Toure

• 19 JackButler // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:24 PM

0-2 up and still in second gear

• 20 LGFUAD21 // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:24 PM

That Toure goal was beautiful.

Barcelona would’ve been proud of the build up too.

• 21 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:25 PM

welsh
    Not sure where the compliment is tbh

• 22 LGFUAD21 // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:26 PM

How does this kodi thing work?

• 23 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:26 PM

On this showing WBA are gonna struggle this season

• 24 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:27 PM

WWSBRD
    it was me that said about compliment, I started on about Kodi, telling Beermonkey about streams of our game yesterday, had it for about 18 months its superb

• 25 welshgeordie9 // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:27 PM

You see ladies and gentlemen, this is what i think jail is up to.

Jail wants me to respond to his small team from the valleys but he knows if i say something like when was the last time Newcastle beat Swansea then he would expect me to get slaughtered on here while he’s laughing sitting down with his pipe and slippers drinking a cup of cocoa.

• 26 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:28 PM

LGFUAD21
    U download this Kodi thing then do this thing with add ons then it adds this thing and some magic happens then BOOM HD Football

Hope that helped

• 27 Jail for Ashley // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:28 PM

Swansea is the biggest club in Glamorgan.

• 28 welshgeordie9 // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:30 PM

Anyway where was i before i was rudely interrupted.

Score predictions for the weekend please anyone.

I’m going to sit on the fence and say 2-2

• 29 JackButler // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:30 PM

I can categorically say, with 100% certainty that welshgeorgie9 is not Welsh, but an imposter who is hell bent on tarnishing the good name of the entire Welsh population, infact, i would like to take the time to distance myself from said welshgeordie9 and assure all my fellow bloggers that we are not all like that, truth be told I truly feel he is a one off in every sense of the word.

Thank you for your time.

Jack Butler

• 30 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:30 PM

Welshie I honestly expect Swansea to struggle this season, they have some very good players like Ayew but very little firepower upfront. Yes they drew against Chelsea but Chelsea looked lacklustre and had Courtois sent off

• 31 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:31 PM

Chancel
    Haha oh sorry I wasnt actually paying attention just though welshie boy would bite haha

As for Kodi I applaud u sir this is top draw are all the games this good? If so u may of just been promoted to my favorite poster of all time

• 32 Irishmag // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:31 PM

Obertan seems to have a goo attitude but just not the quality for the team..playing on the left he was too predictable with cutting in every time just as Sammy was predictable with going down the line..if he cuts in he needs to at least shoot or Voss but he just seems to wait to give the ball to someone else…great cross for ginis goal though credit where credit is due

• 33 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:31 PM

Are you Welsh Jack?

• 34 JackButler // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:33 PM

Chancel

Yes I am mate, but not like the other so called Welsh man that frequents this blog………….honestly

• 35 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:33 PM

WWSBRD
    some of the streams can be poor but 8/10 are HD.
    Also depends which sources you use, I watched our game yesterday and Man Ures game Sat in Perfect HD from a Canadian channel called TSN

• 36 LGFUAD21 // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:35 PM

Chancel

I am. And I can confirm that Cardiff are actually the biggest club in Glamorgan. Swansea are just better.

• 37 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:35 PM

Nice to meet a genuine Welshman Jack, although I had a little moan about welsh teams the other night, I do like wales as a country

• 38 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:36 PM

LGF
    I always thought Cardiff had the better support and thank you

• 39 JackButler // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:36 PM

Chancel

You are forgiven you little rant about Welsh football 🙂

• 40 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:38 PM

JB is a Cardiff fan thats why, better quality of human being them lot haha

Chancel
    I knew I liked u. Honestly mate I have watched some god awful streams so even 8/10 being glorious will have me over the moon. Am watching a yank one atm and I am close to tears

• 41 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:38 PM

Infact I have always had a soft spot for Wrexham

• 42 welshgeordie9 // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:39 PM

Jack

Wow you are in a good mood, first of all I’m Welsh through and through and support both Swansea and Newcastle, how the hell am I tarnishing the good name of the entire Welsh population, What because i follow two teams, I’m sure you have been to Swansea, haven’t you seen people wearing Man Utd tops, or arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool i know a guy who’s a massive Forrest supporter.

• 43 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:39 PM

WWSBRD
    See my body might be fcuked but I come in useful sometimes lol

• 44 croftus5678 // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:40 PM

come on jethro come join your buddy at the toon !

with you and janmaat at either back position we can do without wingers all together 🙂

• 45 JackButler // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:41 PM

WWSBRD

How very dare you!!!

Cardiff fan?

Never Sir!

They are the unwashed of this great principality, the fetid armpit of an otherwise proud nation

• 46 welshgeordie9 // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:41 PM

I rest my case well done jail.

• 47 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:43 PM

Same in Leeds
    You can walk around the city and see many different shirts, even Boro and that small Glamorgan club

• 48 geordie157 // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:43 PM

Cisse, perez, mitrovic, riviere
    Or
    berahino, lambert, rondon, brown.

• 49 JackButler // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:44 PM

Welsh ( imposter )

You tarnish our good name because you are a little unhinged, not because you follow two clubs 🙂

And as for the amount of Chelsea, Liverpool Arsenal and Man Utd shirts I see on a daily basis? I lay the blame for that firmly at the door of Mike bloody Ashley and his tat emporium which are springing up all over the damn place

• 50 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:45 PM

LGF
    Fair point Cardiff’s stadium does hold 13,000 more than the Liberty

• 51 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:45 PM

Chancel
    Haha minds are more important than bodies bud!

JB
    Soooo not a Cardiff fan then…fair enough haha
    I just dont like Swansea and I know Cardiff hate them, suppose u could say I feel an affinity with them for that

• 52 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:48 PM

WWSBRD
    If you wanna watch movies even ones still in cinema in same glorious HD ass Genesis to your Kodi

• 53 LGFUAD21 // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:48 PM

Cardiff are to Glamorgan what Leeds are to Sheffield.

Great fans. Rowdy bunch. Barely a brain cell amongst em though.

I know this as half my family are Cardiff fans.

Swansea is the innocent family club that I can’t help but have a little admiration for what they have achieved for such a small club.

I think they’ve peaked though.

Enough about the Welsh clubs though. I can’t tell whether city have been good or west brim are just making them look better.

David silva is a handful though.

Enough about that UAE club though.

Hope we make some more signings. I’m not as concerned about defence as most. I think it’ll shape up over the season. Dummet is a decent CB in the making. We can hold on until January.

I really want to see an exciting winger come in.

• 54 welshgeordie9 // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:48 PM

How the hell am i little unhinged.

Stop being a drama queen.

• 55 JackButler // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:50 PM

WWSBRD

There are plenty of things I could say about Cardiff, a few would be rude, the majority would likely get me banned of this blog, but no mate, not a fan but it was funny to see how many so called fans crawled out from under their stones when they made it to the big time.

There is a firm split down here and I pity them both as neither have the pleasure/pain you get when following NUFC

• 56 JackButler // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:51 PM

Welsh ( imposter)

I’m only pulling your leg man 🙂

• 57 LGFUAD21 // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:52 PM

Chancel

Cardiff may as well have been the only Welsh club to exist until recent years.

And trust me. To get more than 10k into a footy game in Wales is an achievement. It’s only recently that it’s started even making the back page of the local news.

Most people in Wales seem to support Liverpool. Which saddens me greatly.

At least the Welsh clubs have the balls to play with the big guns in England unlike the two Scottish clubs.

• 58 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:53 PM

Usually when Leeds play Cardiff it’s like WW3, Fighting in lumps at last match

• 59 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:55 PM

Chancel
    I think that was added mate I did a bit of research around it before I downloaded it and I did something (that was highly recommened by websites) which added a load of different things to it, I seem to have live TV from around the world and like a Netflix type deal (havnt tried them out like but I will do next time am stuck for something to watch) with loads of other stuff and music and all that stuff which am not going to use haha

JB
    I quite liked Cardiff when they were in the PL they added some entertainment with their owner and football etc. I have never found enjoyment watching a Swansea game and the last straw was Monk getting the job I was done with it from that point onwards

• 60 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:55 PM

Fair point LGF

• 61 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:56 PM

WWSBRD
    I remember Cardiff doing a number on City, Swansea are a very boring team to watch, come on they only one League cup because they played Bradford ffs.

• 62 welshgeordie9 // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:57 PM

LGFUAD21

Spot on there mate, in Wales you see loads of Liverpool and Man Utd supporters.

• 63 welshgeordie9 // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:58 PM

Take a Chancel on me

You either hate Swansea that much or you trying to wind me up.

• 64 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:58 PM

As much as I hate to admit it I think Monk will get jobs at better clubs he seems quite astute, although he looks like Rory from Doctor Who

• 65 welshgeordie9 // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:59 PM

Either way you are talking crap, no offense.

• 66 JackButler // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:59 PM

Chancel

Arguably the strangest day in my life came while on a works p@&s up in Cardiff when they were hosting Sunderland.

It was like a post apocalyptic movie with brain dead zombies everywhere and not a full set of teeth in sight 🙂

• 67 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:00 PM

Welshie you know I am TFL so I ain’t winding you up, I really don’t like Swansea or Sunderland

• 68 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:02 PM

My god JB sounds hellish

• 69 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:04 PM

Chancel
    Yeah they even ruined the league cup could of let Bradford with the spoil sports! Monk probably will and it will be exactly like Rodgers at Liverpool

• 70 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:04 PM

On Newcastle, I have to say yesterdays game was the most entertaining I have seen in a long time

• 71 JackButler // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:05 PM

The rivalry between Sawnsea and Cardiff is as intense anything you are likely to see, at one time they were the most violent clashes in the leagues

• 72 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:05 PM

Rodgers was a very good manager but he’s out of his depth at Liverfool and like a kid in a sweetshop with money

• 73 LGFUAD21 // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:06 PM

Monk seems like one of those genuinely likeable guys.

He’s got a lot to deliver on after a good last season for Swansea but he just could be something.

Swansea are a bit of a vanilla club. They play some nice football, their fans are still for the most part in awe of where they are and they are genuinely a family club. You can’t hate them or love them.

I can imagine it’s a bit boring to support them when they aren’t playing well. There’s not much craic.

Nothing compares to the rollercoaster that is Newcastle. It may be different to those born Geordie but to the adopted like me nothing really beats the euphoria of an unexpected victory. 5under1and, 4-4 arsenal, 3-0 Man U and the couple of Chelsea wins in recent seasons that have reminded me why I fell in love with this club and its underdog status.

(I know 4-4 wasn’t a victory but it might as well have been. Especially when your lumbering dm pulls of a ridiculous volley like that)

• 74 JackButler // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:07 PM

Berahino should have buried that

• 75 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:09 PM

LGF
    Same here I am an adopted one too, I took in my 1st ever game at SJP when We played Leeds in the league cup, woah the atmosphere was the best I have ever experienced. The geordies I met were the friendliest people I have ever met

• 76 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:11 PM

After match I went to the pub with 5 lads I was sat next to in the game after we got taking at half time, I ended up trollied and never bought a drink, they wouldn’t let me and for the life of me I don’t remember their names

• 77 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:11 PM

What I wouldn’t give to have David Silva in an NUFC shirt .

Favourite player in the PL and a joy to watch .

• 78 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:15 PM

Lovely header

• 79 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:16 PM

I think Rodgers is an ok manager but never a top level one

• 80 Ron Knee // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:17 PM

Damage-limitation for the Albion now.

• 81 kilcline // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:17 PM

Sources suggest Williamson is going to leeds and we have enquired about Byram.

Also, still maintain Austin doesn’t want to move up north

• 82 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:18 PM

Kilcline just seen that, we have had our Scouts wathing Byram

• 83 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:19 PM

West Brom look like a reserve team playing City

• 84 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:21 PM

BPC
    Here is the man I would love to see in a NUFC shirt Aguero probably 3rd best player in the world for me

• 85 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:22 PM

maybe 4th actually Neuer is pretty good

• 86 JackButler // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:23 PM

WWSBRD

I think City will make most sides look ordinary this season, they have so much pace and movement its scary and they have another 45 million player to come in on top of what they already have

• 87 kilcline // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:26 PM

Take a chancel on me/toon from leeds

Hope it comes true! Then sign rudiger or matip and then a winger/striker with pace and be happy

Hope you are on the mend
    Kilcline

• 88 LGFUAD21 // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:28 PM

I’m still amazed aguero hasn’t gone to real or barca yet.

• 89 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:29 PM

McClaren has apparently said he wants another 3 in this window

Kilcline
    Me too, I;m getting there thanks 🙂

• 90 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:29 PM

JB
    Could do mate depends if Yaya fancies it this season for me though I dont think they are done in the transfer market yet

• 91 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:30 PM

LGF
    Fair point you would’ve thought a player of Aguero’s quality would’ve been top of the list for Barca or Real

• 92 JackButler // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:33 PM

WWSBRD

Agree mate, on his day he’s unplayable but he can easily become a passenger and do bugger all for 90 mins.

I think their spending will top £100 million this summer and they’ll still have one of the oldest squads in the league

• 93 kilcline // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:33 PM

Hope we get the 3! But be happy with a £10m rated cb and a youngster like Byram.

Not sure why we don’t go for janazuy (spelling) on loan

• 94 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:34 PM

LGF
    Isnt Aguero a big Atletico lad though? Not sure he would go to Real

• 95 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:34 PM

Aguero is the best out and out striker in world football IMO.

Messi and Ronaldo are better players, but the both can play in multiple positions .

If I were Real Madrid I would sell Benzema and bring in Sergio .

• 96 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:36 PM

Kilcline
    I’ve said for ages tha Januzaj would be brill here, gotta feeling we are gonna sign Jesse Lingard

• 97 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:36 PM

JB
    I wouldnt be shocked if they brought in another big name striker and a big name CM

• 98 JackButler // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:36 PM

Kilcline

I doubt LVG would allow him to leave but I to would like to see him come for a season

• 99 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:37 PM

Hey look its that helmet that tried to end Haidara’s career and made me love Carver

• 100 JackButler // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:38 PM

WWSBRD

They’ve offer £45 million for Shurlle? by all accounts and are hopeful of getting him this week.

It’s no wonder we have zero chance of competing to even get in the top four anymore

• 101 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:39 PM

WBA have some really horrid players:
    Callum McManaman
    James Mclean
    Claudio Yacob

• 102 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:41 PM

JB
    Shurlle? I reckon they will get De Bruyne or Pogba and potentially Kane imo

• 103 LGFUAD21 // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:42 PM

I have spent years despising the lad but he hasn’t been given a squad no. You’d think Lennon would be a decent shout.

• 104 Ron Knee // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:43 PM

The ever-elegant Tony Pulis.

• 105 JackButler // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:46 PM

WWSBRD

Sorry mate, meant De Bruyne

• 106 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:48 PM

JB
    Ah wasn’t sure if u meant that German winger Chelsea sold not long ago, turns out u meant that Beligum lad Chelsea sold not that long ago haha

• 107 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:49 PM

LVG 50/1
    Jose Mourinho 50/1
    Arsene Wenger 50/1

Who is your money on?

• 108 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:53 PM

LGF
    Lennon would be a good signing

• 109 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:55 PM

I used to work with Aaron Lennon’s dad, a few years back we bid for Lennon and his dad told me he turned us down because Jermaine Jenas put him off

• 110 9 // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:59 PM

I still maintain a home draw v Soton is poor. I hope and expect my team to be better then that.

• 111 jimmysmith // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:09 PM

Newcastle need a striker who can hold up the ball, link play and score goals. You hope it will be Mitrovic. Cisse scores goals, but appears pretty ordinary otherwise. I think his position is vulnerable because he’ll drag the chain in open play and prevent the side from playing the free flowing football it wants to play and is capable of. Tiote is in a similar position, although he is a more capable footballer. I can’t see the pair of them having a future under McClaren, unless they are both at their best, and neither one has been anything like consistent and fit during their Newcastle careers, despite showing immense patches of form from time to time.

• 112 jimmysmith // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:17 PM

I agree. There are a bunch of reasons why the result leaves you hopeful, but still, a club with the assets of Newcastle should consistently beat all but the top six at home, and consistently take points off the big clubs too. If that result had occurred in September, you’d be disappointed.

• 113 dok - the horrid colonial // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:18 PM

I respectfully disagree with you, considerering the sh!te weve put up with the last two years… a home draw isn’t good, but its a step in the right direction, and we got a point

• 114 dok - the horrid colonial // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:19 PM

weve much to improve on, and now that we have some of the players and staff, it could be better, yet look at last season… weve have killed for a draw vs them…

• 115 beermonkey // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:25 PM

chancel

I have heard jenas talk about the club its like he never played for us

as for sacking rogers and then advocaat

• 116 the broons // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:27 PM

take a chancel on me

Rodgers

• 117 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:29 PM

I see there’s a growing call for a left back after yesterday. I didn’t see anyone calling for it before yesterday. Well perhaps one person.

Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 6, 2015 at 8:53 PM

Austin or a CB? Austin. I want to see a top strike partnership. It’s been too long. Even Mitrovic wants him. That tells you something.

Mbemba , Dummett, Lascelles and Colo. Even Janmaat can play there. Surely, if Carr’s as good as some on here reckon, Lascelles a very good player. If not, what’s he identified him for? I’d like to see us get a top left back. Even better if he could play CB like Janmaat.

• 118 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:29 PM

Beermonkey
    Yeah Winston (Lennon’s dad) told me Jenas told him not to sign for us, we are a nothing club and they’ll just waste his talents

• 119 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:29 PM

I reckon Advocaat or Pulis

• 120 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:33 PM

Monaco want €25m for Abdennour, I can’t see is parting with £17m for him

• 121 beermonkey // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:36 PM

chancel

to be fair lennon don’t have many talents he is quick that’s about it hasn’t got a decent cross
    I am glad we never bought him

spurs seem to love a winger with no end product makes me wonder why they never come in for obertan

• 122 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:37 PM

Jimmy
    Mitrovic looked more overweight than HBA at his heaviest. I hope that’s the case and he’s not always so lumbering. I don’t understand why some professional footballers start the season so out of shape. I’ve never seen this lad in the flesh before so it’s difficult to comment but that’s just an initial observation. Contrast him to wijnaldum and Mbemba who look in fine shape. It’s a bit concerning.

• 123 jimmysmith // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:37 PM

I think Jenas was always looking for that move to a bigger club. He was a great passer of the ball, had nice control and found good space, but he’d stroll around with a sullen look on his face, despite being surrounded by some great players. He was supplying Shearer, but that didn’t seem to impress him much. He under estimated the club and appeared to over estimate himself, and not surprisingly didn’t have the career he probably thought he’d have. If he’d got stuk in more and shown the club greater respect, you think he’d have achieved far more in the game.

• 124 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:40 PM

SDJ reminds me of yaya toure. Just in the way he strolls around at half pace. No other resemblance.

• 125 toon kk // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:42 PM

Many are getting carried away we’ve had one game which we would have lost if the game been 5 minutes longer. I feel more optimistic but we still have a long way to go to convince we’re a mid table side. We showed both sides of our game yesterday quality also slack static football where everyone forgets there role and turned into a headless chicken.

• 126 jimmysmith // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:53 PM

The sale of Santon is looking Milneresque in its short sightedness, to my mind. He could have flourished under McClaren as much as he was under utilised under Pardew, and also of course, could cover both sides. Janmaat. Mbemba, Collo and Santon might have shipped a few more than you’d like, but what a collection of footballing talent, for a back four.

• 127 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:56 PM

Exactly, Santon was a good footballer and I’d take him back in a heartbeat.

• 128 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:57 PM

Just watched Pelle’s goal on MNF. Colo goals AWOL. Completely loses his man. Takes himself out of the game and gives Mbemba a dilemma. I think Pelle would have scored regardless but it didn’t help Mbemba one bit. It is shocking defending. I urge everyone to watch it again and concentrate on Colo. He goes AWOL like this time and time again.

• 129 overtheline // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:07 PM

which is why so many of us want van Dijk or equivalent talent to squeeze him out of a starting place

• 130 beermonkey // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:10 PM

kets

didn’t mouriniho have a dig that we sold him the otherday

• 131 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:14 PM

Overtheline
    Dummett or Lascelles should be ahead of Colo. They simply can’t be as bad as him. I’ve seen Dummett there. He’s much better. I noted Makro was quick to mention him the other day. Surely Lascelles, with 50 plus Championship games, should be ready for the step up if he’s good enough in the first place.

• 132 jimmysmith // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:15 PM

I think signing Van Dijk would more likely push Mbemba out, but he would probably provide the steel, height and athleticism the side needs and Collocini needs alongside him. Collocini doesn’t have the combativeness of a John Terry, or the pace of Gary Cahill, but he is great at mopping up, reading the game, with the ball at his feet and moving the ball out of defence. Collocini needs the right partner, Mbemba might be it, but his height is a worry, he looks more like his eventual successor to me.

• 133 calvinzolamakongo // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:17 PM

You see collo let yoshida go for the header krul kicked over the bar too

previous post: These Were Newcastle’s Five Best Players Yesterday