The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Wijnaldum – I Enjoyed It – I Want To Show How Good I Am

8:28 am, Monday, August 10th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 7 Comments

We couldn’t hold out for the final 11 minutes to win the game yesterday against Southampton, who were very strong at the end of the game, but there were some very good performances from the Newcastle players in the 2-2 draw,  including the two new lads who started the game – Gini Wijnaldum and Chancel Mbemba.

Both players showed how they will quickly improve the Newcastle team, and Gini showed why he will add a creative force in midfield, which has been missing since Yohan Cabaye left us over 18 months ago.

gini wijnaldum scores

Gini Wijnaldum after scoring yesterday

Chancel Mbemba showed why he has been compared to Manchester City center-back Vincent Kompany with his deft play at center-back.

We also have to remember this was the lad’s first game in the Premier League, after only having played a potion of the game last week against Borussia Monchengladbach, and he combined quite well with Coloccini at the back.

Given that,  it was an excellent display by the DR Congo International.

Gini scored a great goal that was set up quite brilliantly by Gabby Obertan, who is playing like he did a year ago,  and showing he has the talent if only he can maintain some consistency this season.

This is what Gini said after the game:

“I enjoyed it very much because I was really looking forward to it, I had heard a lot about the atmosphere and today I saw it with my own eyes. I like it.”

“It is harder than the Dutch League but I like Premier League football.”

“I wanted to celebrate the goal with the fans, I think it is great if you can score on your debut – but sad we didn’t win the game.”

“I want to play good games, I want to score goals, to show how good I am. As a team to win a lot of games and to rank higher than we did last year.”

“I want to show the people of Newcastle how good I can play football.”

Even though Newcastle played some good football yesterday,  the defense still looked the weakness and it’s still possible that Newcastle will bring in another defender before September 1st.

Things should get better as Colo and Mbemba create a better understanding between each other but high crosses into the box were a danger for us yesterday.

Its how the Saints scored twice from right wing crosses coming in, that were headed into the net by Graziano Pelle and substitute Shane Long.

But it was a very good start to the season, and much improved after the debacle earlier this year under John Carver.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Southampton?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

What do you think?

Tags: Chancel Mbemba · Georginio Wijnaldum · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League

7 responses so far ↓

• 1 LGFUAD21 // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:29 AM

11LGFUAD21 // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:28 AM

Glad to see there were some sensible people on the blog yesterday.

Some fans are stuck in the 90s.

Based on yesterday’s performance in confident we can finish 7-10th. We’ll improve as the season goes on.

For me that would be a good season after the last two. Anyway that says that’s not good enough should probably consult a doctor or find another hobby.

The league is getting tougher and you can’t expect a couple of signings to suddenly get us in Europe (even if we made 3 more)

• 2 LGFUAD21 // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:33 AM

I said yesterday. We can’t put too much pressure on the young Armstrong.

Players don’t reach their full potential until 24ish on average so Armstrong has some time.

Toney is further along but he doesn’t display the technique Armstrong does for me.

• 3 cyprus // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:34 AM

‘9’, man,
    You didn’t watch the game yet have so much to say! Actually, there’s much to be critical about (e.g. how we completely lost our shape i the last 2?), but hey, it was the first game and we dominated Soton in the first 60. Remember, last year we should ‘ve lost in double digits against them.

Positives:
    quick passing, running without the ball, stinging counters, Wiji very good. My pet hate (Ober) was decent, Anita is a changed player. Him going off is a reasonable explanation of why we kind of collapsed. Colback and Sissoko were amazing, as was Krul too.

Save of the season and counter of the season in less than a minute.

Negatives: SDJ looks out of his depth. Tiote not in shape. Mitro will need time, maybe. Tiredness: how come? Need a CF and CB. Jan and Mbemba could’ve saved those headers or at least make it harder; didn’t Krul used to come out more?

9cyprus // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:23 AM

‘lost our shape in the last 20?

• 4 cyprus // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:36 AM

See Wiji has edged Colb on MOM. A bit unfair, as, the latter was tops in the first half + only and then fell away, while the latter was outstanding in the whole 90′.

• 5 cyprus // Aug 10, 2015 at 8:39 AM

We need a pacy, tricky CF like that Kane (sp.?) they have. Therefore, not Austin. Mitro looks slowish, we need a fast one.

• 6 Jib // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:04 AM

Mané

• 7 mactoon // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:41 AM

i think te votes for the top 4 are just about spot on. I see Mitrovic has a nice first touch 😀 he needs to calm down, the atmosphere got him carried away

previous post: Newcastle Protect Adam Armstrong – Enhanced Video Of Goals